[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 159.jpg (305 KB, 512x512)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
Old thread: >>1441033

=Search terms=

Agriculture - Permaculture - Horticulture - Cultivation - Agronomy - Agrology - Geoponics - Sharecropping - Ranch - Agrarian - Homesteading - Landscaping - Dry Farming - Truck Farming - Market Garden - Farmer's Market - Forestry - Companion Planting - Raised Beds - Berkeley Method Hot Composting - Hugelkultur - Rooftop Gardening - Vertical Gardening - Subsistence Agriculture - Propagation - Square Foot Gardening - Shifting Cultivation - Polyculture - Deep Water Culture (DWC) - Composting - Ley Farming - Windrow Composting - Mulching - Co-operative Farming - Orchard - Vermiculture - Espalier - Fungiculture - Aquaponics - Greenhouses - Cold Frames - Hot Boxes - Polytunnels - Forest Gardening - Aquaculture - Mittlieder Method - Keyhole Garden - Window Frame Garden - Straw Bale Gardening - Soil-bag Gardening - Sugar Bush - Lasagna Gardening - No-till Method - Container Gardening - Ollas Irrigation - Kratky Method - Ruth Stout No-work Garden - Rain Gutter Garden - Core Gardening Method - Hydroponic Dutch Bucket System

Animal Husbandry - Poultry - Chickens - Goats - Pigs - Sheep - Cattle - Dairy - Ducks - Turkey - Honey Bees - Apiary - Geese - Llama - Alpaca - Fish - Crayfish - Donkey - Ostrich - Worms - Snails - Heliciculture - Black Soldier Fly (BSF) - Beefalo - Guineafowl - Quail - Game Birds - Pigeon - Giant Guinea Pigs (Cuy) - Capybara - Agouti - Coypu - Rats (Cricetomy/Thryonomy) - Cavy - Deer - Antelope

=Resources=

General Information: https://pastebin.com/uz2LqJz1
Beginner Fungi/Mushroom Guide: https://pastebin.com/ddb6fAPS

Homegrowmen Archives:

Threads "1" to 130 plus extras:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/r2rge49h7s9e4qe/Homegrowmen+Threads+1+to+130.rar

Threads 131 to 140:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/33xpc4e8yhb46j1/Homegrowmen+Threads+-+131+to+140.rar

Threads 141 to 150:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1aur6s22izb26m9/Homegrowmen+Threads+141+to+150.rar
>>
>>1447141
>>
>>1447144
Use hardware cloth and electric fencing. The hardware cloth is good for small, "cages," to keep things like squirrels away. For things like slugs & snails, use beer traps. For cut worms use rings made from plastic cups to surround the seedlings. Groundhogs, rabbits, and deer just need electric fencing.
>>
>>1447149
already have that for when the plants go in the ground, but the fenced area is in full sun, and would fry the seedlings to start them in there
>>
>>1447155
Shade cloth/netting.
>>
>>1447160
or I'll just start them inside like I've already done

I won't even begin the peppers for another 4-6 weeks...the faster growing stuff will be very last
>>
Going to start my first veggie garden this year. Bought some pepper seeds (Quadrato D'Asti Rosso) because I eat multiple bell peppers a week and it would be nice to have some home grown. How do I not fuck up?
>>
>>1447167
read the instructions
>>
>>1447167
Peppers are one of those super easy plants to grow. For bell peppers, make sure you pick them at the proper time. Green bell peppers are actually unripe so you can pick them when you think they are large enough. Or, you can let some ripen red so you can harvest their seeds and have a better tasting pepper. However, "green" bell pepper cultivars don't ripen very well sometimes and will start rotting just before they ripen. Other bell pepper cultivars that are advertised as red or yellow will ripen far easier, but you have the option of picking them green anyway. Quadrato D'Asti Rosso ripens red fairly easily so you shouldn't have a problem and you can pick them green, partially ripe, or fully ripe. Rotting usually happens if there's too much rain and the leaves are enclosing the peppers a bit too much. So, you may need to trim a bit to get a bit more air flow.

If you get enough, you can dehydrate, pickle, freeze, or pressure can them. At the end of the season, you can actually dig them up and overwinter them inside if you have enough light and room. You can bonsai them "bonchi" if you want.
>>
File: yerashitposter.jpg (2 KB, 125x101)
2 KB
2 KB JPG
Anybody here leased land for farming before? Got any horror stories or advice?
>>
>>1447174

>Quadrato D'Asti Rosso ripens red fairly easily so you shouldn't have a problem
Well, then I'm glad I went with this Italian pepper. The other choice would have been California Wonder.

>Rotting usually happens if there's too much rain
I'm in a fairly dry area (central California) and rain isn't common in spring or summer (or fall or winter). I'm more concerned with manual watering, like how do I know how much is too much?

Also, will I need to stagger my seedlings so I get a consistent yield or does that not matter for peppers?
>>
>>1447145
based
>>
>>1447240
Peppers fruit regularly without period if provided with enough light and nutrients. Mine haven't stopped since I planted them last summer.
>>
>>1447227
Get a good contract for it, that's about it.

>>1447240
I would water mine heavily then not water them until the ground was dry 2 inches down.
>>
>>1447246
Wow that's awesome, I never knew that.
>>
Time for the great debate, /hgm/: draft horses or oxen?
>>
>>1447318
Forgot the pic
>>
>>1447318
That depends on what you'll be doing with them. I'd rather use horses because of their resalability and temperment.
>>
>>1447327
>horses because of their resalability and temperment
I mean I’ve seen cows spook over literally nothing, too, but I’ve just seen horses do it more. And I’ve seen way more cows than horses in my lifetime.
>>
>>1447318
Draft horses because they are cuter
>>
So tired. I just finished tapping nearly 30 maple trees for sap. The weather is amazing. The sap wasn't dripping out, it was gushing out like a stream of water. I've never seen it that good before. I already have some boiling down for maple syrup.

The hillside is all frozen with a layer of slick mud on top where the sun has melted it. I think I need new boots.
>>
Does anyone know about wild food? I’m gearing up to hopefully find a few mushrooms and other foods. Some of my favorite wild foods include wild leeks, fiddle head ferns, and pheasant back mushrooms.
>>
>>1447472
Where do you live?
>>
>>1447318
Horses. Horses pull women.
>>
>>1447524
I'm right behind you.
>>
File: Identification.jpg (2.13 MB, 2560x3128)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
>>1447522
I know all the local flora in my area, its edibility, palatability, and all other currently known uses. I forge and also cultivate wild crops on my farm.

>>1447524
Zone 5. It is actually 65F right now, wtf. It was -12F like 3-4 days ago. The forecast looks good for sugar bush for the next month. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to keep up with the production. I've already fired up a second stove. I may need to pay a visit to the local hardware store to get a few propane tanks and burners as well has hook up the 3rd stove.
>>
File: win1819.png (338 KB, 2790x1707)
338 KB
338 KB PNG
>>1447534
Weird how you get such intense temp swings in winter in Murrica. Here in 8a Western Yurop (>300km away from the ocean, those closer to it will have even less variation), it barely leaves the -5 to +10°C window from December to February. -10 happens about once per winter, same for +15. -15 and below maybe once per decade...

Can you even plant early spring flowers such as crocus, daffodils, tulips without them getting seasonally confused? Or some early flowering fruit trees like cherries, plums, apricots...? I'd imagine they flower in January and then get hit by the next frost
>>
>>1447551
It didn't used to be like this. We'd have a "northerner" of course and it always went down to -15F to -20F (-40F one year in the 90s), but the weather was even. It'd snow and the snow would stay on the ground the entire winter. Now there's only a handful of days in January where the snow lays on the ground. I'm taking advantage of it though by extending the gardening season. The high today ended up being 70F.

>flowers

No, not anymore. We have roses and fruit trees blooming in early January sometimes now. Last year's fruit tree harvest was completely ruined due to wonky weather.
>>
File: mushrooms.jpg (1.74 MB, 1260x7650)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
>>1447522
Don't trust mushrooms you can't identify with 100% certainty.
>>
Anyone have experience with fabric grow bags? I've heard they're good for root stimulation and aeration.
>>
>>1447584
That's the global climate change Al Gore has been warning about for 30 years. He even made a movie but some people don't listen so we suffer with honey bee die offs, hurricanes and withered strawberries, heck the birds and plants don't know what to do
>>
File: 1527871149474.png (161 KB, 511x522)
161 KB
161 KB PNG
This year will be the year I successfully grow strawberries/lavender/corn/carrots
>>
>>1447628
>>>/pol/
>>
File: t12 shop light.jpg (23 KB, 900x900)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Can I use any regular shop light to start seeds indoors?
>>
>>1447645
Pretty much. The brighter the better. Mostly you don't want to burn them or get leggy so adjust the distance as needed.
>>
>>1447522
>pheasant back mushrooms
my man

can't wait for the season to start, but it won't be for a while

>>1447551
>Weird how you get such intense temp swings in winter in Murrica
climate change bro

last week on wednesday we broke the previous record cold temp....probably the coldest it's been in decades....and up till then it had been very mild 30/40F, with almost no snow

(and before some idiot replies with "if it's global warming then why is it cold"......we've been having more and more above average heat waves during the summer the past few years as well)

>>1447631
>strawberries
they're pretty hard to fail at from my experience, unless you don't water them at all

I have doubled the number of pots each year I've had them......would like to actually get them in the ground so they have more room

really hope this last cold snap didn't damage them

>>1447645
yep

any light will work really (I use a grow tote with 4x regular LED bulbs), as long there is enough output
>>
>>1447598
Literally none of those fucking mushrooms posted looked anywhere near psilocybes.
I don't fucking get it. People who go out in the woods and find "false morels" and eat that shit are fucking retarded. It looks NOTHING LIKE THE FUCKING THING.
>>
>>1447892
Never underestimate the stupidity of people.
>>
>>1447892
See the image in: >>1447534

That tiny test in the center top where you compare two like images and tell all the differences. There are people who look at them and simply say there's no differences. Those are the types of people who do shit like this. There are also people who think they are either "protected' or simply invincible through, "lol not me." I've met all types. I once had to forcibly remove a destroying angel from somone's hand because they were going to eat it.
>>
>>1447892
>dope heads
>people
>>
File: 1534007250459.jpg (51 KB, 460x460)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
What's the procedure if I want to spare some seeds from freshly bought tomatoes that I would want to plant this spring? Put them in the freezer for a few weeks? Last year I bought Monte Rosa tomatoes in either December or January that I planted at the end of February indoors and by summer the plants turned out amazing with a shitton of tomatoes. Best type of tomato I've ever grown, big and juicy with soft skin. This year I postponed the purchase of this particular tomato because it costs a lot, at least twice as much as regular tomatoes, but I can't wait any longer for the prices to drop. This year I want to plant even more. Although, it's a hybrid and the seeds aren't true, the tomatoes I produced looked pretty much the same as the original.
>>
>>1447971
Remove the seeds.
Wash the seeds.
Put the seeds in a glass of water for 2 days.
Spray the seeds against the screen so all the outer stuff comes off leaving clean seeds.
Pat the dry with a cloth towel and allow them to fully dry for several days on something they won't stick to.
Put in an envelope with the name, date, and other info.
Keep in a cool dry place out of the light until you need them.
To sprout them, soak them in water over night then plant as you normally do.
>>
Im building my own grow light. Which led module is better for growing lettuce and herbs?

>Cri70 5000K 4620lm

or

>Cri90 5700K 3528lm

Is more lumens better in this situation or does the cri value and kelvins matter? I can post wavelenght datasheets if you need them.
>>
>>1447600
if you don't mind spending extra vs plastic, get em. they're obviously more porous, which means more air flow which means air pruning which encourages root and more available oxygen.
think about the plants you'll be putting in em though. where do they thrive naturally? in a place with loamy aerated soil? or do they grow in sandy soil or clay in which they're not used to extra light and oxygen? sometimes it might be better to go with a bucket/plastic for that reason. but that's "min/maxing" for the most vigorous plant possible, fabric pots will do more than fine for 99% of plants regardless of whether they prefer it or not.
>>
>>1447640
climate change isn't political. it actually is unrelated to politics entirely. maybe try >>>/sci/, considering it's science.
>>
>>1448002
Global cooling/ warming/ changing is anti science dogma akin to a religion or an ideology. Take it to /pol/
>>
>>1447994
>diy LED grow light
>lettuce

Oh lawd, have I got the thing for you,

https://lumigrow.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/research-optimize_lettuce_quality_morphology-lumigrow-led.pdf
>>
I've taken every bottle that will hold water and have tapped as many trees as possible. The sap is flowing really well. Here's a vid clip of one of them.
>>
File: 006_1448.jpg (1.21 MB, 6000x4000)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>>1448038
>>
File: fel-.jpg (216 KB, 494x710)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
I just want winter to be over already. Can't we make some kind of petition to abolish this damn season?
>>
>>1448058
Build a greenhouse so you can garden year-round.
>>
>>1448062
Your house is a fuckin' greenhouse, dude.
>>
>>1448001

Good points. I live in North Texas and the plan was to plant tomatoes and peppers (hot) in them. I would expect they would do find and I can always add some specific conditioners to the soil when I plan them.
>>
File: 2019-02-04_21-51-40.jpg (1.43 MB, 1800x1200)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
>>1447974
>>1447971
What works for me is just spreading the seeds (with all the jelly still sticking to them) on a paper towel in summer, put it in some place where it can dry and you can forget about them (like top of furniture), then simply take away or even cut out from the paper as much as I need and plant as usual in late winter. Always getting high germination rates (>90%) that way without having to clean, ferment or soak them
>>
>>1448145
Yeah but my question is what's the best method if I only have a month to prepare the seeds? I bought the fresh tomatoes today and ideally I would want to plant them at the end of the month.
>>
Whats up senpai, im an indoor grow fag because i live with my parents still and in wisconsin.

How many indoor growmen are there here?
https://youtu.be/_j-yiemPS9g?t=58

Heres a video of all my shit. full disclosure im a youtube fag so dont click it if you think im a shill.

Heres a pic of my lettuce right now.
>>1447994
Is this your setup?
Theres some side by side of lettuce growing under white/red/blue lights and how it effects them. So i guess youll have to shoot for a wavelength that will give you the results you want.
>>
>>1448147
>a month
More than enough to do it that way, a week is generous to let them dry like that
>>
>>1448150
I hope so, but don't they prefer some winter hibernation or something?
>>
File: 1544763177013.png (619 KB, 1343x645)
619 KB
619 KB PNG
>>1448148
Interesting related videos (no, I don't watch /pol/ on YT)
>>
>>1448158
I had that jordan peterson vid and that deathvalley germans vid in my recomended, but i only ever watched a jordan peterson video like 6 months ago so i dont know why they are shilling that shit so much
>>
>>1448148
The pastebin in the OP actually has your channel listed in the, "Anon-recommended Youtube Farming & Gardening Channels and Series Videos," section. That is a fairly good setup. All my stuff is for 2 months of seed starting. I only have 3 shelves with 15 1020 trays.

Save up for a few acres. If you do get some permanent land, plant fruit/nut trees ASAP so you can enjoy them more in your life. Same with sugar maples for making maple syrup if you live in a snowy area!

>>1448158
YT does that sort of thing a lot for some reason even if you wipe tempfiles/cookies/history.
>>
>>1448155
Nah, they're a tropical plant, so no stratification or the likes needed
>>
File: sproutingtomato2.jpg (91 KB, 800x804)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>1448155
They are like squash/pumpkin and sprout regardless.
>>
>>1448110
My house isn't that humid
>>
>>1448164
good advice with the trees. My plan is to get a house with some acreage, and i plan to live and die on that property. so starting trees fast is a great tip, thank you!
>>
>>1448180
Also, make sure you put them on the shady side of the property so they don't cast shadows over your garden area.
>>
>>1448175
Get box
Put in cup of water
>>
>>1448175
You can make a very large humidity dome by just going to the store and buying two plastic bins that fit nicely together
>>
>>1448205
the handle is inset and supports the top. so just find something that fits together.

if you want to spend another 12 bucks get "egg crate diffuser" and some zip ties and create a raised floor so you can keep water at the bottom for max humidity yet keep plants from getting saturated.
>>
File: IMG_20190204_180409.jpg (2.16 MB, 2592x1944)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB JPG
What's wrong with my tomatoe plant disease or what?
>>
>>1448231
Either sun scald or leaf miner.
>>
>>1447971
fyi, unless they're heirloom tomatoes, you likely won't get the same thing out of the plants

they'll still be tomatoes, just different

>>1448170
lol, I've seen them sprouting inside before
>>
File: All smiles.jpg (75 KB, 1280x720)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
Garden newbie here, this year I'm planning on growing bell peppers to sell to my parent's diner. Does advice for growing hot peppers usually translate to bell peppers as well? Do they respond well to topping like hot peppers? Do they do well in containers?
>>
>>1448285
It is much the same, but the larger the container the larger the plant and higher the yield to a point. You'd need to look up the specific cultivar you are growing to know better information.
>>
>>1448285
they do far better in the ground than in pots
>>
>>1448287
I'm going for traditional California Wonders,along with a pack of seeds my sister got me that just says "Grand Bell Variety Mix."

>>1448288
I'd much prefer them to be in the ground, but space is limited and the main garden bed we have is going to be commandeered by tomatoes.
>>
>>1448235
Would that be from spraying the leafs with water and still having spots of water on the leafs?
>>
>>1448294
then the bigger the pot (or grow bag), the better

this past summer I used seeds from a bag of mini sweet peppers from the store, and those grew really well; the yield of fruit/plants was probably better than with the traditional bell peppers even though they are smaller
>>
>>1448299
Not unless you had lots of fertilizer in the bottle.
>>
>>1448285
Generally yes. I found that they were much more appreciative of having lots of space for their roots. Tried some in potters and they did poorly, once I planted some in the ground with a lot of space they grew like mad.
>>
Anybody here grown square fucking watermelons before?
>>
>>1448520
Forgot the pic
>>
>>1448521
AFAIK you just have to put the guitar in a box
>>
>>1448533
Watermelon
>>
>>1448533
>>1448535
that has to be one of the all time worst auto correct fails
>>
>>1448533
This will always be how this method is referred to from now on
>>
File: 9d5.png (173 KB, 2688x2688)
173 KB
173 KB PNG
Total newbie/retard here, I've seen that goats need to be dried off for a few weeks before breeding time, if I get 2 or 3 milking goats is it possible to time their breeding so I have milk throughout the year?
>>
>>1448647
> In goats, the estrous cycle occurs every 18 to 24 days, or 21 days on average.

Yes.
>>
Hey everyone. First time poster here. Didn't know if here or /an/ was better but...
I bought some bell pepper and zucchini seeds because I wanted to dabble in the realm of growing vegetables. I grow succulents so I enjoy casual gardening, and I live in a small apartment with a "sort of" back patio area that's maybe 2x6 feet of space in two separate areas. I live in southern Florida and I read online that bell peppers and zucchinis are not only easy, but grow very well here.
I see a lot of guides for larger scale farming on home plots. I was considering maybe 4 to 5 plants (of both vegetables, maybe) but I don't even think I have THAT much space. Are there any small-scale guides to growing vegetables outdoors? I want to invest in a rubbermaid tub for a compost bin, but I'm not really sure about how much wood or what soil I could need for the operation or what.

I popped a few seeds in some small pots (just 4 zucc seeds out of 50 hehe) just out of curiosity at the moment...but I only have succulent potting mix.
>>
>>1448684
2x6 isn't much space at all. I only have about 4-5 pepper plants or 1-2 zucchini plants max. Research how to make "loam" for vegetable gardening. You can buy the materials and/or make it yourself. It is mostly equal parts sand, clay, and compost well mixed. Succulent potting mix probably needs half as much compost added to it for it to be good for vegetables; if the mix is already half potting soil and half sand/gravel. So, if you have a 5-gallon bucket of succulent potting mix then it needs 2.5 gallons of compost mixed into it.
>>
>>1448688
I just found some 20 gallon breathable pots on amazon for 20 bucks and I think that might be perfect for what I'm going for.
>>
>>1448694
Those would be good.
>>
i really want to try growing white rice indoors, would it be possible, and without too much difficulty, to grow it in an old fishtank? i figure that way it's easy to measure the water levels and keep it consistant. the crop size wouldn't be yuge, but i figure with its long shelf life i could save up a sizeable amount over time.

>>1448038
this is beautiful to watch, thank you anon

now, i wonder, how do you determine different grades of syrup? i was under the impression that only sugar maples gave off syrup, but you get high/low, light)dark, etc.. is it just how it's refined?
>>
File: 006_1476a.jpg (121 KB, 1024x683)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>1448038
>>1448039
And, here's a pic of this year's 2nd batch of maple syrup!>>1448684

>>1448704
>i really want to try growing white rice indoors

It is possible and yes that could work. If you have the room, use a plastic kiddie pool perhaps. If you do that, put some foam under it to prevent the floor from becoming cold and condensating which might cause water issues.

>how do you determine different grades of syrup?

I don't since everything goes into the same pot and I only go up to 219F for the syrup. There are tons of tree species and types of maple trees that give sap that you can make syrup from. There's a, "Plants and Methods for Sugar, Syrup, & Molasses Making," section in the OP pastebin that has a link for like 27 different trees.

>is it just how it's refined?

The source and the temperature are the main things. Temperature being the big one. The hotter it gets the thicker the syrup will be and it has a chance of caramelizing in some sections of the boiler which will add flavor and more color.
>>
>>1448148
Looks comfy, but in the summer it must get sweltering in that room.
>>
File: FFUUCK.jpg (66 KB, 400x334)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>tfw already planning to grow a fuckton of peppers, but have a bunch of vegetable seeds that are running low and getting old, and need to grow some varieties this year just to refresh the seed supply
>>
So the internet said to use a little hydrogen peroxide to help germinate seeds in plastic bags. That sounds like bullshit. Is it bullshut?
>>
>>1448877
maybe to kill mold on seeds?
>>
>>1448877
not necessary
>>
>>1448780
>kiddie pool

unfortunately i live in a shitass little apartment in an urban area, even my balcony is shared so i don't have much space to spare. having an insulative layer underneath is something i hadn't considered though, so thank you for that. i feel like the hardest part of all this will be finding the right strain of rice, and a legitimate seller for it lmao
>>
File: 20190205_224450.jpg (2.59 MB, 4032x3024)
2.59 MB
2.59 MB JPG
Why is my little avocado plant growing little arms all over it before the leaves even open up?
>>
File: what in fuck.jpg (15 KB, 469x351)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
How the FUCK did Carolina Reapers not repel these mice? He mixed a pile of seeds with chopped up reapers and also smeared the pepper juice all around the bait. What the FUCK? I thought this shit affected all mammals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBWskgp-G00
>>
>>1448849
It does, I made an air exchange in the window and I'll run lights at night inside the big box. Just gotta last one more summer and I think I'll buy a house
>>
>>1447141

Any tips on how to plant a "3 sisters garden" using the Zuni waffle garden method (heard this was recommended for dry regions)? I have two 3x3 foot plots available to do this, but am mainly concerned with how to space everything properly.

Also, does it matter if I plant summer or winter squash?
>>
>>1449006
they are more repulsed by sour rather than hot. order pure citric acid and they will actively avoid that shit.
>>
File: chilis.jpg (393 KB, 1440x1920)
393 KB
393 KB JPG
Two of the jalapenos have truely sprouted!

Question: I'm out of the country for two weeks and don't have any auto-watering setup. Any options for what I can do? I'd like to avoid buying something like a capilliary seed tray if I can, but I've not ruled it out.

Other seeds are still in their bags germinating (San Marzano tomatoes, more jalapenos, carolina reapers and chocolate scotch bonnets).
>>
>>1449168
I really think you need to plan better. Like not sprouting new seeds right before taking a 2 week long trip. Like seriously!? I really don't think there's any proper auto system that isn't electrically powered with a timer that you can rig up that would work properly with seedlings. For larger plants with deep roots it'd be find to do some wicking thing, but seedlings are SOL for that. 2 weeks is a pretty long amount of time for such a large surface area of evaporation.

The best thing you can do is to recruit a friend to water them for you every day or whatever if you won't buy an electronic watering system that has a timer.
>>
>>1449168
>I'm out of the country for two weeks
Yah you are really committed this project. Fikin amateurs.
>>
>>1449179
>>1449176
Very last minute decision, nothing I could really have done.
>>
>>1449181
>decision
What is more important?

-learning how to feed oneself
-spraying climate changing particles at 30k feet, don't forget multiplier effect, so you can instagram your face in front of a wonder of a dying planet

If you had half a brain, you would stop polluting the world that is dying, just so you can be one of the last to see the far corners of a dying planet.
>>
>>1449181
Well, get a friend to help. Tell them you'll us them as fertilizer if they fail.
>>
>>1449185
Think that mght be the best option yeah.

>>1449182
Sorry I can't control family members dying.
>>
>>1449189
The funeral is going to be two weeks? You really need to see dead people? You are killing the planet just to see dead people? They are dead, there is no reason to go see them, all the while killing more in the process.
>>
>>1449182
/pol/ /pol/. /pol/
>>
>>1447472
Post some pictures of your setup. Give people like me who are trapped in the 'burbs something to dream about.
>>
>>1447598
That is gold. I spent 5 hours plumbing through books and websites just to positively identify chanterelles which have no lethal lookalikes in my area... this idiot shoves little brown mushrooms in his mouth in the hope that they are psylocibes. At some point cant we let natural selection run its course?
>>
File: 006_1445a.jpg (694 KB, 1024x1364)
694 KB
694 KB JPG
>>1449222
see:
>>1448038
>>1448039

Rendering is just some steam table pans on the stove with a candy thermometer later on when it starts getting close to being syrup. I transfer it into a stock pot to get it up to syrup temp (219F.)

I got my steam table pans from:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/3165/stainless-steel-steam-table-food-pans-and-accessories.html

Everything is is just cheap hardware stuff like the screw in hooks, vinyl tubing, and fence wire. The bottles can be anything, but the smaller they are the more often you'll need to empty them. Some people use PEX pipe and connect several trees to one collection area and large container. If I had a bridge across the waterway, I'd have 100+ trees tapped and a shack to render it down using a giant pan welded together from stainless steel. Right now, I just tromp all over the muddy hillside with a stainless steel milk can.

Due to terrible weather, there's no sap flowing today. Yesterday, I only got enough sap to make 1 pint of syrup. Hopefully, Friday and on the sap will flow again when the sun is out and temps are correct.

I'm actually tapping some trees that are a bit too small, for testing purposes. I won't tap them again until a few years later, but the info I'm getting is all good. I'll be cutting some other trees down that are useless for anything other than their wood.
>>
>>1449230
>I'll be cutting some other trees down that are useless for anything other than their wood
Do you mean other maples? Do you intend to coppice them?
>>
>>1447971
Remove the seeds and put them in a jar with a bit of water. Cover with plastic wrap and punch some air holes through the wrap. Let the seeds ferment near a window for a few days. Remove them and rinse them on a screen ( a sieve will do) to remove the gunk. Store the dried seeds at 4 degC (in a fridge) until planting time.

If these are hybrids, be warned that the offspring may revert to the phenotype of one of their non-hybrid parents. Asexual propagation is generally the way to go with unstable hybrids, but I don't know if cuttings work with tomatoes.
>>
>>1447994
The higher the colour temp the better, at least from my experience with peppers and herbs. I use 8000k aquarium full spectrums that are amazing for plants right from seed to fruiting.
>>
>>1449232
Black cherry, Boxelder maple, small oaks, and some random stuff. Nothing that gives out much sap obviously. Most of the boxelders have died from some disease after things got so warm the past ten years. Might be some insect that's moving north or just the lack of good frost days or they can't take the wonky up and down weather we've been having.

I don't intend to coppice those since the area is too tight to allow other trees to take sun and nutrients away from the maples. The only one I'm leave is a massive double sycamore tree.
>>
File: 1526941965672.jpg (30 KB, 500x322)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>1448533
>put the guitar in a box
>>
>>1449230
>I'm actually tapping some trees that are a bit too small, for testing purposes.
Stop. There is no need to test how much they can produce compared to a larger tree. If you tap at anything below 14" DBH, you are diverting lifeblood needed to root the tree and grow it to its greatest health. Tapping below that, especially on trees barely the size of a bicep, is rapacious. Do that every year, and that tree will not only go tits up before it reaches legal girth, the dying of it will attract excess non-beneficial insects that will set about the real gonga trees.

t. not ready to tap just yet, made 60 gallons last year.
>>
>>1449295
Here people tap from 6" diameter and up.
>>
>>1449300
People jump off bridges at times to. Does not make it the thing to do.
>>
So do I need to cold treat my strawberry seeds or not? I've got Alexandria Alpine seeds if that helps.
>>
>>1449336
I've never bothered. I gathered them from local patches (f. vesca and f. virginiana and some f. alpina) and all of them germinated to some extent free of treatment. That said, I have never done a germination test to see how efficient it is.
>>
>>1449332
This was a logging area. There are hardly any trees even at the 16" range. The largest maple is one I planted myself when I 1st moved here. It is around 20" range now I think. The older ones are just what was left after the tree regrew after being cut down.
>>
>>1449191
Your last onions harvest must've been really marvellous
>>
>>1449399
Kek, söy gets replaced by onions even on this board?
>>
File: DSCN1369a.jpg (2.81 MB, 3072x3072)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB JPG
>>1449399
>>
>>1449168
some sort of drip tape maybe or tent with plastic wrap to hold moisture in
>>
>>1449191

I'd say go back to pol, but that place is for paranoid right wingers... what the is containment board for brain-fried hippies? The guy lost a family member and wants to attend a funeral. People who aren't psychos do those sorts of things.
>>
>>1449336
I've done both cold stratification and not for alpine strawberries, but for me the seeds took the same time to germinate regardless. Some seeds germinate within the week and some take over a month. Still wouldn't hurt to experiment I guess
>>
File: chineses.png (766 KB, 1525x799)
766 KB
766 KB PNG
The chineses are having a sale on grow lights if you like gambling.
>>
Any advice on growing morels?
>>
File: DlYGsw3XoAAPpVW.jpg (211 KB, 1200x900)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
>>1449403
These are my favourite pics.
>>
>>1449497
Replicate its natural environment and grow in season?
>>
>>1447318
Depends how much land you have and how much you plan to spend on tack and upkeep.
Oxen are just cattle,and they can live like cattle.
You can feed them about anything leafy or grainy and they'll be fine. Horses are fragile things that tend to die if you feed them the wrong diet and require a shit ton of maintenance to keep up health and fitness.

Gonna go with the third option here: mules

They eat like donkeys (less food, and of a lower quality) are strong as large horses (especially if you can get one from a mammoth Jack).
Virtually indestructible.
>>
>>1449403
Are you the guy who grows wild onions and garlic and harvests/dries the tops? I've got a dehydrator that I mostly use for making yogurt and your stuff is making we want to try dehydrating everything next season.
>>
File: DSC_8935b.jpg (2.42 MB, 3072x2048)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB JPG
>>1449575
Yes. Go for it!
>>
>>1449489
Never had any bad experience with AliExpress, but be prepared to wait a month or so for your stuff...
If you like tinkering with stuff and have basic electric knowledge, COB lights could be a way to go really cheap. I'm waiting for a few myself, will report back when they come and I test them out...
>>
>>1449403
What kind of recipies do you do with the leaves?
I always threw them away
>>
File: Noodle Soup Recipe.png (660 KB, 634x1422)
660 KB
660 KB PNG
>>1449676
Anything that calls fro chives will work. I use them for stews/soups (pic), baked stuff like, "chicken braid,"and breads like biscuits/pan biscuits.
>>
>>1449650
Shouldn't you freeze chives? I thought that drying harms the flavor.
>>
>>1449709
That depends on the temperature heat used. The flavor will change regardless of what you do. The trick is to change the flavor to what you like. When drying and grinding it up like I do the flavor won't be anything like you may be used to experiencing normally. It is a seasoning unto itself.
>>
>buy seeds from bakers Creek
>low germination rate for tomatoes
>decide to use paper towel and plastic bag method for strawberry seeds hoping to get better reaults
>as I'm sealing the bag realize I dun goofed

They are so tiny. This was a mistake.
>>
>>1448254
>fyi, unless they're heirloom tomatoes, you likely won't get the same thing out of the plants
I did last year. Other than the irregular forms, there were no difference in taste, consistency, juiciness, or even skin.
>>
>>1449914
so did I

instead of having the variety I expected, for size and ease of processing, I got small round ones and longer skinny ones
>>
Hey guys,im kinda new to this what are your best tips in Homegrowing things like carrots,tomatoes,onions etc.
What kind of planters do i need,how much they cost and how much water do i need to let it grow fully?
>>
>>1449938
5 gallon buckets minimum
Dirt
Water every couple of days
You should be more worried about light and temp
>>
>>1449947
Yea,im pretty confident in my room temperature and light,last year i bought some good lamps and ive created special room for that kind of veggies i want.
>>
>>1449947
the universal setup
>>
>>1449951
You should be set then. The only this is proper spacing your root vegetables like carrots. If they are to close together they won't make carrots.
>>
>>1449938
Most common mistake by far is too little light especially for indoor grows. But even outdoors, some things require full sun and not be shaded too much by nearby other stuff
>>
File: 1549561246557.jpg (176 KB, 1080x1052)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
Would this work for herbs, peppers and tomatoes?
>>
>>1449938
>carrots

They hate weeds and can't tolerate them so do your best to prevent weeds.

>tomatoes

Keep them far enough apart so air can flow freely and chances of blight will be reduced.

>onions

Starts will grow bigger than sets, but sets are really easy to do for beginners.

>cheap containers

The cheapest with the largest capacity are actually grow bags. You can get those online for far cheaper than other containers, unless you have a hookup for 5-gallon buckets from a local contractor or restaurant. Whatever container you use, it MUST have good drainage in the bottom so there's no standing water.

>soil

If you can make your own loom (1 part clay, 1 part sand, 1 part compost) you are good to go. Otherwise, you can buy some vegetable gardening soil (not normal plant mix) and either use it 100% or mix it half-n-half with your local soil to spread out the cost. If you can make your own compost, start right now. If you have tons of biomass to compost you can use,"Berkeley Method Hot Composting."

>watering

Wait until the soil is dry to about the second knuckle on your index finger when you push it into the soil. Water at that time and give them a good soaking. If you use grow bags, you'll need to water more often.

>fertilizer

Google up how to make, "compost tea," or, "manure tea" otherwise, buy some Miracle Gro/whatever if you must. Also, urine can be used as a fertilizer when diluted 1:5 to 1:10 ratio, google that as well.

>light

As much as possible. If indoors then you need tons. If outside then plant in an area where there's sun for most of the day.

>>1449990
Yes, it'd be like a grow bath. The main problem is they will eventually rot, so moving them around might have the bottom fall out suddenly
>>
>>1449993
>>1449969
>>1449965
>>1449947
Thanks guys its a great help
>>
>>1449990
thicc
>>
File: 1429224420990.png (179 KB, 500x358)
179 KB
179 KB PNG
>>1449830
>mfw plastic bag method with peppermint seeds

At least strawberry seeds are visible.
>>
>>1450049
lol With catnip I just direct sow on the soil in the tray. With chickweed I direct sow in the bed.
>>
Hey guys I am trying to start a garden in my apartment and have been getting cuttings. I was wondering if the flower food you get with a bouquet would have any effect if put in the water.
>>
>>1450235
>getting cuttings
that is not specific enough

>I was wondering if the flower food you get with a bouquet would have any effect if put in the water.

if you mean hydroponics, get fertilizer meant for that
>>
>>1449830
I'm about to buy my seeds for the year, and I was gonna get them from Baker's Creek. Are low germination rates a problem with most their seeds, or is it just the cultivar you purchased?
>>
>>1450235
those packets are only comprised of sugar, bleach, and citric acid. you should get proper fertilizer
>>
>>1448533
Are you okay?
>>
>tfw about to homestead this spring finally after 23 years of dreaming and some learning about farming
>mfw I’ve got everything lined up except a homestead gf
What the hell do, anons? I’m not even religious.
>>
>>1450365
Go to farmer's markets and livestock auction houses. Make connections, which is something you should be doing anyway as part of the lifestyle you want to do.

>>1450355
I haven't had problems with their seeds. Lots of factors can cause that even problems with temperatures during shipping. More often it is merely user error.
>>
>>1450368
How tf do I hit up girls at the livestock auction, fool? I’ll be going regardless but damned.
>>
>>1450370
The same way you'd pick up people at other locations that are not bars. Like attracts like and familiarity breeds liking (Mere-exposure effect). Just be around people who have your likes and go from there.
>>
File: foam planting.jpg (372 KB, 1920x1080)
372 KB
372 KB JPG
I'm thinking of trying out this method bc I have a lot of foam laying around. anyone try this?
>>
>>1449993
>Keep them far enough apart so air can flow freely and chances of blight will be reduced.

this, I lost ~100 lbs of tomatoes to blight this year because I clustered them together
>>
The only reason I use the plastic trays instead of the biodegradable ones is because I don't like the biodegradable ones and I don't want to spend a ton of money every season on them. The plastic ones I have will last a few seasons before being replaced.

That being said, these things look very interesting to me,
https://ortakitchengarden.com/

Seems like 3 would take up just about the same space as a single plastic 1020 tray and still have the same amount of plants as the trays I currently use...
>12-pack for $79
>$296.25 to replace all 15 plastic trays in my shelving unit

Oof, this is a hard decision. I'm pretty good with terracotta in keeping from breaking it so that wouldn't be a problem for me. If I get extra cash beyond the current projections I may make an entire switch.

>>1450438
Go for it. I'd never do it because I prefer to have as little plastic and such around my plants and use soil so transplanting is easy. The foam would just clog up my raised beds since I'm not doing hydroponics. Hence the blog post above.

>>1450439
I lost a ton due to torrential rains last year. It was the worst wet year on record. I even had 100s of tomato plants. I did get more tomatoes than previous season, but if the rain had not happened then I'd have harvested around 4 times more. This season I'm going all pear-shaped cultivars in case rain makes everything go pear-shaped again. That way rain doesn't pool in the top of the tomato, give slugs/isopods a home, and start rot.
>>
>>1450438
I'm doing the same, but with soil. Step outside and that crap is everywhere, just lying on the floor. Gotta put that to some use.
>>
>>1450470
I think I brought enough in on my boots this morning to fill an entire tray. It just needs a bit of sand and compost added.
>>
File: F8EZY7XHH2VYFY1.LARGE.jpg (56 KB, 336x423)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>1449168
It may be a bit late, but I did find this,

https://www.instructables.com/id/self-watering-tray/

It is just a terracotta pot, seed tray, and open cell foam to make an automatic capillary watering system. I think that if I were to do it, I'd put a piece of plastic over the foam then cut holes in it for the pots then cover the terracotta pot completely with an upside down pot that doesn't have holes. That way it'd reduce the amount of evaporation.
>>
>>1450476
Nice setup, I like it. I'll give this a look. Failing that, I'm going to try the 'wick' method where you use a piece of absorbent string in a bowl of water, which then is dipped into each pot to provide water as the plant needs it. Concerned this won't work for tiny seedlings though.
Then I'm coving the setup in plastic to hold in moisture. I think with a bit of careful planning I can keep this guys alive during my 2 week absense.
>>
>>1450489
Yeah, the wick is the got to thing I'd use, but not for trays and that is why I didn't mention it from the first. If you have tubing, you can run the string through that to reduce evaporation from water source to soil. I'd do that plus have a friend to help.
>>
>>1450489
>>1450500
What material is good for wicking? I've seen guys use unbraided cotton string, microfibre cloths cut in strips, etc... But I want to know for sure what's the best...
I'm planning to make a test rain gutter system this year and I dont like the way of using soil in grow cups to act as a wicking material. Especially because I'm gonna use fabric pots.
>>
>>1450469
Those terracotta things are really cool. But 80 dollars is pretty damn expensive for just one pot that supports 12 seedlings
>>
>>1450538
Any cotton will work fine.

>>1450559
That's 12 pots, each holding 12 seedlings.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (70 KB, 677x515)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>1450559
>>1450563
I double checked. It really is just a single pot with 12 seedling places. The 6 seedling pot is $30. At that point it is better to just use the mini-terracotta pots. They are pretty cheap, but you'd still need a tray. I think it'd be more fun to make and fire my own terracotta seedling thing.
>>
>>1450585
yeah if it was 12 pots I would happily pay that, hell even 6 of them. but 80 bucks for one is pretty crazy especially because most people are starting more than 12 plants
>>
>>1450787
It's usury.
>>
File: 2019-02-09 16.27.05.jpg (1.88 MB, 1060x1883)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
These are my tomatoes, first time really growing anything, planted way too many seeds and didnt have the heart to kull them out, theyre doing pretty well.
>>
File: 2019-02-09 16.27.22.jpg (1.47 MB, 1060x1883)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>>1450922
More tomato pics. Lots of fruit still there to ripen.
>>
File: 2019-02-09 16.27.40.jpg (1.67 MB, 1060x1883)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
>>1450923
So far theyvd had a good handful of small tomatoes each day that ripen up. Its a rainbow mix so theres a good variety of colours.
>>
File: 2019-02-09 16.38.50.jpg (1.42 MB, 1060x1883)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
>>1450924
Here are the ones that ripened up today, its been a pretty constant battle to get them before the birds do.
>>
File: 2019-02-09 16.26.04.jpg (2.38 MB, 1885x1060)
2.38 MB
2.38 MB JPG
>>1450927
I also planted a few pots of "benefitial bug mix" and it certainly increaced the number of bees that were around which i think is a good thing.
>>
File: 2019-02-09 16.26.46.jpg (2.11 MB, 1885x1060)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB JPG
>>1450929
And another pot of flowers that the bees seem to like.
>>
File: 2019-02-09 16.27.55.jpg (1.23 MB, 1060x1883)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
>>1450931
Oh i forgot to include this with the tomatoes, its a big old boy, mortgage lifter i think, it was part of the heirloom mix which all the tomatoes came from. There are only 3 fruits on this plant. This one is quite ugly, but large.
>>
File: 2019-02-09 16.26.25.jpg (1.55 MB, 1885x1060)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB JPG
>>1450933
Lucky last pic, some seeds that i planted thismorning. Im not too sure how the root veg will go, i hear mixed results regarding transplanting but i dont have the bed free to sow directly yet, so transplanting will have to do.
>>
>>1448231
It's probably septoria rot, don't water from above, drip at the base. Also put mulch around the plant and improve air circulation.
>>
>>1450927
ey bro, cover them in netting. no birds, no problems. thats how we deal with persimmons in texas
>>
How does /hgm/ feel about kelp for supplemental livestock feed? For human consumption? I want to experiment with growing pasture forages in saltwater aquaponics but I might just grow this shit as well if it works/instead if it doesn’t.
>>
>>1450922
>>1450933
Very nice.

>>1450995
I eat kombu almost every day. It should be fine for animal feed supplement in moderation. Kelp is pretty easy to grow. Also check out, "green manure." Seaweed is essentially just a green manure when used in the garden. That is easier to grow if all you want is a good source for garden compost and fertilizer.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/jun/29/seaweed-farms-us-california-food-fuel
>>
>>1450995
I looked into it briefly, but wasn’t practical in my climate. Most supplement seaweed species need far colder water than I could reasonably provide. Microalgae isn’t that difficult, though the risk of it building up toxins keeps me from using it for anything other than fish food.
>>
>>1451035
I think you'd need to do some sort of geothermal cooling to get it down to the needed temps.
>>
I am currently looking into that, realistically i should have done it a lot earlier, i didnt predict the birds would be as much of problem as they hage been. i just got a 5×5 metre square of bird netting. Still trying to figure how im going to cover them without damaging the plants.
>>
>>1451050
Make a frame about 3 feet away from the plants. Netting allows lots of air through so there's usually no threat of wind blowing it over. So, you can use something as spindly as bamboo or conduit pipe to make a frame.

If the netting touches the plants, they can grow through it and cause problems as well as birds landing on it and reaching through into get fruit.
>>
>>1451035
>41-72oF
So basically the same temperature trout need? I’m thinking a greenhouse section. Cooled when it gets above 72 degrees, heated when it gets below 41. Supposedly water and air temperature are the same.
>>
How do I figure out how large of a raised bed I need to build? I'm going to plant some honey berry plants this year but my soil is mostly clay.
>>
>>1447141
I know this is /out, but can anyone recommend good plants for indoor gardening? I want a lot more plants around my house but I don’t know where to start.

Bonus: can anyone recommend any vertical-type wall planters for indoors?
>>
>>1451088
Sit down. Reach out as far as you can without being uncomfortable. Make that distance the center of the raised bed. Now the raised bed can be twice that wide and you can still easily reach the center. That should be the largest raised bed width you make. That should also accommodate any plant or dwarf tree. You can make the bed as long as you wish.
>>
>>1451095
Would be good to know if by indoor gardening you mean vegetables and the likes or ornamental stuff. In case of the latter also check out the plant general over at /an/ >>>/an/2931549
>>
>>1451095
What the above poster said, and also see if the room you want plants in gets a lot of sunlight, how many windows you have, what direction they face, etc.
>>
>Have a lucky bamboo plant
>Cut part of it but have no wax
>Used this
Is it fucked?
>>
>>1451224
Yeah, there's a good chance it will kill it like a pesticide. I know someone that used a 2-part epoxy (JB Weld) on their tree once. It was a tiny section. It totally killed the entire tree. Like within hours the leaves actually started turning brown. It was a 50-year old bonsai.

Get some Japanese cut paste wound sealant. It is like plumber's putty you can form around stuff.
>>
>>1451339
Thanks m8, i'll keep an eye out and post again after a few days so people know not to use this if the plant dies.
It's not a fantastic stem anyway so i'm not too fussed.
>>
File: shooooooon.jpg (1018 KB, 1600x1067)
1018 KB
1018 KB JPG
Gettin close...
>>
>>1447631
I plan on growing sweet corn for the first time, and I have about 18 square feet to do so.

How many corn plants should be in each square foot? I've been hearing anywhere from 4 to 9 plants. I also heard that corn plants need to be planted densely, but 9 per square seems like too much.
>>
>>1451351
hydro or maple?
>>
File: feedmeseymour.jpg (1.5 MB, 1200x1800)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
>>1451364
>>
>>1451372
Jelly/10

I had a pan burn up yesterday. Luckily only about a 1/2 pint was lost.

>>1451359
It depends on the cultivar too. Some can really pack together while others need to be further apart. Mostly the GMO ones you get from big seed companies are the type that can be really packed together. Most everything else does better having a bit more space. Basically, the adult plants should have their leaves overlapping about halfway at max and 1/3 at least. So around 15-18 inches apart at max and half that at min. Last year I planted mine in a grid on 4-5 inch centers. It was a sweet corn and did okay except for the rain.
>>
>>1451378
I view religion as the absolute opposite of liberty, so no thanks.
>>
File: spongebob hill.jpg (57 KB, 736x736)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>1451382
View it as whatever you want. The issue is that there ain't good women who aren't religious. But I guess I must be wrong, you know, being married at 22 to a beautiful catholic virgin homesteader and you being single...
>>
>>1451390
It's a shame that my girl is a fedora tipper, but she's great nonetheless.
>>
File: Fireburnandcaldronbubble.jpg (1.74 MB, 1600x1304)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
>>1451381
>Luckily only about a 1/2 pint was lost.
I have scorched a pan. Managed to get it clean. Can't say you make syrup, until you know what the smell of burnt sugar is. You loose a little bit more than 1/2 pint when you boil on pic related.
>>
>>1451456
>>1451450
>>1451390
>>1451382
>>1451378
>>>/pol/
>>
>>1451456
>hey, goy, it's silly to believe in anything beyond the material... surely your senses are infallible!
>>1451459
>he doesn't know 4chan is owned by autistic nazis
Get Rekt Skrub
:^)
>>
>>1451459
>anything i dont like is /pol/
>>
>>1447994
I use $15 LED shop lights from walmart to grow my herbs. Trying peppers, and they aren't getting leggy. In fact they are stubby and short with big green leaves. Not sure how they will do though. I've had basil flower under them. All my cooking herbs are strong and healthy. Microgreens should be fine too.
>>
>>1451390
Lol and you know she’s a virgin how? How do you know she just hasn’t repented after blowing a dozen cocks? Catholic girls are renowned for their freakyness, you know.
>>
File: California Potato.jpg (1.47 MB, 2448x3264)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
Does anyone know whether this is caused by over watering or the grubby things that inhabit my soil?
>>
>>1451609
Wetback disease.
>>
>>1451611
I know we have that here in California but that won't help me now will it.
>>
File: 22652639.jpg (9 KB, 480x360)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
I have a cucumber plant covered in aphids (with ants helping them).
I was looking up solutions that suggested ladybeetles, I've noticed about 4 of what I think is the right kind of ladybeelte (orange and black) on the plant already.
Should I bother doing anything or will the ladybeetle population increase on its own and take care of the aphids?
>>
>>1451631
Just keep watch and remove any dying plants. Spray diluted dawn on the healthy ones.
>>
>>1451466
/pol/ is a board dedicated to politics, this is the general for agriculture on a board for outdoor pursuits, now go back.
>>
>>1451681
This isn't 4chan.
>>
>>1451631
Spray the plant down with a stiff spray of water without harming the leaves. Just wash the aphids off. Do that once a day for a week and they will be gone. With ants farming the aphids, the ladybugs most likely won't be able to keep up.
>>
>>1451381
Thanks. I plan on companion planting them with beans, but I heard that sweet corn can't support bean plants. Is there a way I can still make it work with this type of corn? Maybe wait till the corn gets big enough before planting the beans?
>>
>>1451777
You might need to put a stake or two and support the corn as thought the corn plants were more stakes along a fence.
>>
Anybody have any ideas as to why my tomato is dropping blossoms AFTER setting fruit? It's a Green Giant variety, and it has a good 90 flowers on it at least at the moment. They all set fruit, some of them are growing right now just fine, but on occasion I'll find some blossoms on the ground, but they have fruit on them already, and I've only ever heard of blossom drop before they set fruit.
It's not too hot or too cold, the lowest it gets here at night is low 60s, and the highest it's gotten during the day is low 80s, Fahrenheit if it wasn't obvious. Not over/under watering, I only water when my bucket's light and dry. Been exfoliating with an epsom spray now that they're flowering. I haven't fertilized it in ages besides the epsom spray every other week, could that be it?
>>
>>1451828
>Been exfoliating with an epsom spray now that they're flowering

When you must do it, it is only 1 time per month.
>>
File: dasitmane.jpg (27 KB, 403x403)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>1451462
>>
>>1451828
If I had to guess I'd say you should try fertilizing. If it's setting fruit the plant is probably fine, but if it's dropping after the fruit set it's most likely nutrient related because making fruit uses a shit ton of nutrients and you mentioned you haven't fertilized in a while. Now's the most important time to fertilize probably.
>>
>>1451709
It is, the jannies have split it though for shekels.
>>
Where the hell do I sell my produce in the city?

Problems so far:
>farmer's markets aren't offering spots
>restaurants are contracted with suppliers

Ideas so far:
>supply local grocer's
>open up an out-of-trunk table in the farmer's market parking lot because fuck them
>push a cart locally downtown on the weekends (but where?)
>have a driveway food box where people can come and pick up whatever I stock it with. Could be a method of making a little money with stuff that doesn't immediately sell.
>just advertise online and with road signs
for farmer-to-customer delivery

Which one of these would you recommend or what signs should I be looking for in my area that hint at the best market?
>>
>>1451892
second, fourth are best bets.
>>
>>1451892
Thinking on the food box; my local HOA are far too conservative to let that slide in the nice part of town. The realistic alternative would be to advertise the garden as somewhere people can schedule to come and buy produce directly from a certain time. If there was enough interest I would never have to deliver or sell from a cart or truck.

I'm trying my damnedest to play entrepreneur...
>>
>>1451892
People around here, who do not want to pay the spot fee for the farmer's market will just pull a truck up somewhere busy and sell out the back for a few hours.
>>
>>1452014
>sell out the back
I thought we were talking crops anon
>>
File: weedalert-poster (2).png (727 KB, 536x600)
727 KB
727 KB PNG
Ever notice that (((they))) manufacture and market poison to kill the most nutritious plants that grow in your garden without any help at all?
>>
>>1452050
If I killed everything on that list, I wouldn't have a yard at all. lol
>>
>>1452050
Not to mention these poisons can have serious hormonal effects (see: (((atrazine))) )
>>
>>1447141

Zone 5b here. Is there anything I can/should be doing to my garden to deter harmful insects? I had earwigs last year, and these small gnat-looking things that were eating up my arugula.

I've read that soil health helps kill of pesticides. I'm waiting on soil tests results before I mix in anything, but is there anything I should add to the soil?
>>
>>1452050
Have any recipes for poison ivy?
>>
File: herbz.jpg (265 KB, 1000x1504)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
Finally got myself a grow light (1x 54W) so I can try growing stuff indoors. Started out with cilantro and basil since I had some seeds for those. There are also cuttings from a store bought basil, they seem to be doing okay. The potted cilantros and basil seedlings could probably benefit from being closer to the light, I guess a cardboard box underneath will do the trick. I'm also interested in rigging up some ghetto kratky grower for rosemary, maybe with baby food glass containers and yogurt boxes.

Just wanted to blog somewhere.
>>
>>1450929
I love cornflowers.
>>
>>1452196
Ask the local indigenous peoples, pale face.
>>
>>1452278
Looks like good root growth on the basil cuttings. I wish I liked basil, it'd be fun to grow.
>>
File: pea-seeds.jpg (26 KB, 250x188)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
i got some pea seeds and they are like that, would you eat them?
>>
File: 1512477721961.jpg (376 KB, 667x900)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
>>1452364
No. I want them yellow.
>>
>>1452364
No, the dye isn't edible and the pesticides it carries is usually toxic and also not edible. Though, the color may differ between countries.
>>
>>1452364
i mean would you eat the fruit of this plant, not the seeds
>>
>>1452377
Normally, there's three main types. Systemic pesticides, a fungicide to only protect the seed, and chemicals to help the seed germinate faster and more effectively. The systemic pesticides are taken up by the plant as it grows and remains in all parts of the plant's system including anything you'll be eating. Some of these can be destroyed via cooking temperatures, some can not.

I grow and raise my own food specifically to be able to control my diet directly. I would not eat anything from plants grown using such methods. A lot of my decision making for food intake and farming methods comes from, "Does this ingredient or leached chemical improve or maintain my health?" If the answer is, "no," then I don't eat it since it would be pointless or perhaps harmful to do so.
>>
>>1451892
Don't set up in the farmers market parking lot they will call the police since you didn't pay the fee. Set up on roadsides or Walmart parking lots to sale. You could also use the honor system and just set the stuff out in a box like you said and have a lock box nearby for people to pay as they get stuff. I sold flowers like this and made money
>>
How does /hgm/ harvest or save tomato seeds? Are you fermenting them or just drying them out?
>>
>>1452529
I ferment a batch from every breed I grow. Been growing them true to the original for 4 years.
>>
>>1452530
define fermenting please
>>
Hey, I've got this set up, seeds go inna all the recycled paper pots, they are about 4 inches deep and I'm interested in planting ghost peppers (mainly) and also many other various plants, i have 24 dry quarts of seed starting mix, the temp ranges from 65-75 in this room, with about 10 hours of sunlight. Are my conditions within an acceptable margin? and I also know peppers need alot of nitrogen, so can I piss directly into the plants once they start germinating?
>>
>>1452548
>light

You may need to add a white reflector and of course turn them often.

>urine

It needs to be diluted. Seedlings won't need all that much so it is better to use it once you have them in their final pots/in ground. How much you dilute it depends on the plant, plant age, in pots/outdoor, etc. That can be 1:5 to 1:10 ratio. Don't use undiluted urine as it can cause root burn.
>>
>>1452545
Leaving them in a glass with a bit of water for 2 days near a sunny window. Plastic wrap over the top with some small air holes poked into it.

Put the fermented seeds in a sieve and rinse the gunk away, then air dry and store in a sealed bag at 4degC.
>>
>>1450500
>>1450489
Abandoning-seeds-for-two-weeks anon here. I leave tomorrow I've just finished setting up a wick setup for all 40 of my seeds/seedlings (just planted the ones that hadn't already germinated). I did a few experiments over the last few days and evaporation from the wick doesn't seem to cause much of a problem - the test seedling remained sufficiently moist while the cells next to it without wicks dried out. I've now hooked all the wicks up to my largest pan that's full of water, and I guess we'll see how they fair over the course of the next 2 weeks. The growlight is set up for 12h on 12h off, and I guess I'll find out if I come back to a seedling slaughter or some seedlings destined for bushy growth! Wish me look, anons.
>>
File: img_0715.jpg (2.05 MB, 3485x2698)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
So if I wanted to actually help reintroduce bees to my area, rather than simply farming for honey, is there something I need to differently or will colonies just make new queens and kick them out to start new colonies anyway?
>>
File: 72388957802.png (350 KB, 748x547)
350 KB
350 KB PNG
>>1451224
>>
>>1452598
A hive will swarm if left to its own devices. Continually taking their honey and placing new boxes may retard this process, as the hives determines when it is time to swarm based on the place becoming overcrowded and having not much room to expand.
>>
>>1452609
So if I leave them alone long enough they'll just send out a new swarm go colonize somewhere?
>>
File: 1531915297134.jpg (66 KB, 500x570)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
I have a question about germinating cherry seeds. I saved about 15 pits from store bought cherries, and followed the advice of a few YT vids.

>put seeds in damp napkin inside ziploc bag
>place in fridge for 10 weeks (12 in my case)
>remove from fridge, remoisten napkin and leave in bag somewhere at room temp

I've had the seeds in the napkin germinator for a few days in a bay window with no signs of life yet. Am i being impatient, or did it just take bad advice?

Thanks in advance
>>
>>1452678
Update

I carefully removed the hard pit to expose the actual seed. Back in the napkin germinator on the widow sil
>>
>>1452636
Yep. Maybe not in the first season, but once they are established they should swarm once per season if left alone.
>>
>>1452678
It takes a few weeks, if you are doing it correctly. It is better to plant them in soil though.
>>
>>1452712
Are there better solutions if I want to just raise a colony for the purpose of bringing bees back to the area rather than just harvesting honey? I know the old European pagans made their festival poles or whatever hollow so bees could live in them
>>
File: 1538791585063.jpg (128 KB, 965x642)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>1448034
my digga
>>
File: slack.png (978 KB, 589x742)
978 KB
978 KB PNG
>>1449472
Just toss them both in, let them sort themselves out. win/win/win.
>>
>>1451631
Wait it out a few weeks, as long as that is the only one being bothered, its good to have a ladybug feeder right in your garden.

If that is your only cucumber plant, I personally would let them take it down and plant 4 or 5 next season. It's healthy enough for aphids, ants and ladybugs to be interested in it, so it's obviously doing well. Plant more next year, an infinite amount of ladybugs will visit you, your one ant colony will still be doing their thing, and you'll enjoy retarded pollination rates all over your garden. do it bruv
>>
>>1451828
You might try in a bigger pot or in the ground, if they are not a compact cultivar. I had some sugar pumpkins there were not container-friendly as I had thought and this is what happened. How big is your bucket?
>>
>>1452176
beneficial wildflower mixes, and mostly trial and error (maybe no arugula next year). After you have a good mix of good plants the soil should magically become healthier as its aerated and experiencing nutrient exchange. Be creative in what you grow , and plant beans in pots you aren't using.
>>
anyone grow hemp before? my state legalized industrial hemp, mite b cool
>>
>>1452779
There is an absolute PLETHORA of info on youtube and online. Lots of methods, ratios, times, they have autoflowering cultivars now so you don't have to be as exact with lighting. Just google, there's so many hyper-in-depth methods and they're all different. It's a science.

One of millions: http://homegrow-pro.com/low-stress-training-tutorial/
>>
>>1452278
Cozy setup, anon. I haven't had much luck with rosemary cuttings lately but I kept some mint cuttings going all winter long last year in a kratky setup.
>>
>>1452050
I literally just harvested some dandelion seeds last week and plantain seeds today from my indoor grow tent. I'm planning to grow them with other mixed greens, but I also want to grow some dandelion for the roots as well.
If you grow broadleaf plantain indoors, the leaves get fucking HUGE, like more than 8 cm (3 in) wide in some cases. And this is even in a fully root-bound solo cup.

I've also saved purslane seeds and they're the only weed I allow to grow in my pepper containers outside (pic related) since I eat them anyway.
>>
>>1452529
I just spread them together with the apparently growth-inhibiting goo around them on some kitchen paper towel, label it and let it dry, then scrape them off next late winter. Always had near 100% germination rates with that, no washing, soaking or fermenting needed. Maybe the growth inhibitors degrade over time or upon drying, no idea
>>
How do he /effay/ on the farm?
>>
>>1453043
*be
Forgot the meme.
>>
>>1453043
>>1453045
What?
>>
File: 1517291935363.jpg (17 KB, 233x246)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>1452788
>$600 license just to grow in my state
waddafugg.
>>
>>1453049
He's asking for fashion advice for farmers
>>
>>1452050
I have that poster hanging in my room to help me better identify plants in my backyard, I don't kill them
>>
File: amish.png (255 KB, 998x654)
255 KB
255 KB PNG
>>1453093
Oh well, exactly what is seen in >>1453045 then.
>>
>>1452748
Not that I know of. My family only raises bees in conventional Langstroth hives and they swarm 1-2x per season from those depending on how well things are going. I don't know of any other methods people use to seeds new hives.
>>
>>1453297
Apparently in Poland and Russia the locals carve hives out of logs, which make an environment more natural to the bee's typical homes in the wild.
>>
>>1453303
Neat, if you've got trees on your property that would be worth a try.

Come to think of it, you could do this and then guide a swarm to the new location. Swarms hang around while the scouts go find a new location. During this time, you could take the swarm and place them in or by the tree site and hope they choose it as a new hive.
>>
>>1452779
I find this to be a neat guide.
>>>https://www.zamnesia.com/cannabis-grow-guide
>>
>>1453107
Miss me with that neckbeard shit. Plus I’m Arabic looking but lightly complexed. There must be decent desert dweller /out/fits, right?
>>
>>1453467
Bigger hat.
>>
My cherry tree is already blossoming. Why are my fruit trees retarded?
>>
File: 20190212_190624.jpg (347 KB, 1000x750)
347 KB
347 KB JPG
I was previously told by /out/ to dry bonchi-ing these guys. They are Black Hungarian chilies. After their first hard pruning they came back amazingly, but only sent out new leaves at the very peripheral ends of the two stem branches, so I trimmed everything again (after leaving them for a few weeks to soak up some energy). I was hoping this would make them produce more compact and central growth, but it's been a week and I've seen nothing coming out of the stems. I chopped off a 1cm piece of one stem and the inside was still green, but no growth or even appearance of buds at any joints. Did I fuck up? How long do peppers usually take to rebound after a pruning? The first time around they came back so quickly, not so much now.
>>
>>1453531
I'm not sure what place you got the pruning info, but you really should only trim any plant by 1/3. The except is when you are coppicing trees. For peppers you should also wait a couple months between heavy pruning like that.
>>
>>1453487
Out of season due to a warm winter?
>>
>>1453363
>>1453303
Swarms from my hives always travel in the same direction for some reason. So, I can place empty hive bodies out along that route and they normally end up in them.
>>
>>1452176
Encourage bats and humming birds to your area with bat houses and humming bird feeders/flowers they like. Lizards, toads and hedgehogs are also pretty good at eating terrestrial insect problems. Toads and hedgehogs use houses people make and put in their gardens. Lizards like wood piles, rock piles, and similar with places to sun themselves. Loose soil also attracts large ambush spiders since they can overwinter in it.
>>
>>1452594
Sounds promising. Report back for sure.
>>
>>1452529
I chuck them into a glass of water for a few days then hose them out into a wire strainer so they are completely clean. Then they dry on a plate for a week or so,
>>
>>1453559
You could try that. If you are really dedicated, you could just put on a suit and cut the branch off the tree and place them into the desired container, they are super docile when swarming and will probably take up shop in whatever thing you stick them in. I had them colonize a cardboard box while I waited to construct a second hive for my swarm.
>>
>>1453576
I have lots of extra hives so there's no problem with letting them find their own. When I suit up and catch them, I usually just bag them without cutting the limb off.
>>
>>1453094
I've been wanting to make one similar, but with seedling photos of common weeds around here.
>>
>>1452867
>mint cuttings going all winter long last year in a kratky setup.

How big did they grow and what type?
>>
>>1453467
You'd probably need to make your own with thin white linen and have a huge wide brimmed hat. It gets super hot here with super high humidity. I wear big jeans, with white shirt, suspenders, and massive hat. This is a temperate rainforest and summer is icky hot.
>>
File: New Thread.jpg (65 KB, 526x350)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
NEW THREAD: >>1453584
>>
File: 2al2y7lb2u121.jpg (99 KB, 1000x620)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>1447522
If you want greens, they are everywhere white people are. Radish, mustard, dock, and purslane abound. Learn them and live them.
>>
>>1453771
pussy
>>
>>1452598
honeybees are not native in the americas. it's better to make "bee hotels" for native pollinators.
>>
>>1451609
what's your problem?

it's a potato that looks like it has lips. Kiss it or finger it. I bet arabs on chatroulette would whip their dicks out if you had that close up to the lens.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.