[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 91 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Now accepting credit card payment for 4chan Pass purchases and renewals. Click here for details.

I hike 80% of the time alone and often end up off trail and often find adverse terrain that is rather risky to keep going without having any kind of backup, that terrain might be either river crossings or steep slopes. So my question is, does it make sense to bring some type of rope? I have no climbing or mountaineering background so what would be the best knot/system to use that would give me the possibility to retrieve said rope?
>>
>>1446085
kamikaze knot. don't bounce.
>>
File: 5AO7r.png (61 KB, 264x268)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
>>1446085
Wrap the rope around a tree or anchor of some sort, lower yourself down with the dulfersitz, then pull one end to bring the rope down... you will need twice as much rope
https://www.backpacker.com/survival/survival-cliffed-out-with-no-climbing-gear
>>
>>1446100
From what I google that seems fucking dangerous. Without a rope I take my time and measure my next step carefully, with that system I have the feeling it can all go very wrong before you even notice it.

>>1446125
This would probably do alright, however looks hard on your manly parts.
>>
Anyone know a good youtube channel that makes long form /out/ videos with good production quality? I'm looking for something like the old les stroud discovery show but preferably without a canukistani
>>
Looking for a good set of affordable snow shoes?
>>
>>1446553
no, i'm not. but thanks for asking. :)
>>
>>1446602
No bitch I'm asking if anyone knows a good set of snowshoes to buy.
>>
>>1446602
top bantz desu
>>
>>1446869
false. then you would have posted
the statement
>I am looking for a good set of affordable snow shoes.
presumably following up with a polite request for recommendations. but you posted a question. filling in the subject (which you omitted) >>1446553 is either
>am i looking for a good set of affordable snow shoes?
or
>are you looking for a good set of affordable snow shoes?
obviously only you can answer the first question, so there is no point in posting it. therefore it MUST be the second question. and i say again, i am not, but thanks for asking. :)
>>
>>1446869
Msr is legendary for their snowshoes
>>
File: help.png (10 KB, 678x599)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
If I fall into a hole like this, how are you suppose to get out?
>>
A guy I work with got a 100% wool Pendleton button up shirt for Christmas but it's too small for him and might fit me.
How warm are they? Might use it as a layer when it's cold.
>>
File: IMG_20190202_234725.jpg (73 KB, 1426x1256)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
Easy, Ctl +>, Ctl +>
>>
>>1447038
https://youtu.be/wyiZ0dgcvoA
>>
Are entrenching tools useful while camping? I’ve heard they are but no specific reasons why. How much digging do you really need to do while /out/?
>>
>>1447228
Personally i sleep in a trench every night closely grasping my nugger and woobie like the larping retard i am.
>>
>>1447228
depends. how often do you expect to be shelled by artillery while /out/?
>>
>>1447230
tfw didn't get a nugget when they were 100 dollars
>>1447233
depends on how quickly the bears learn to use a howitzer
>>
>planning on killing myself
>gonna take a sleeping bag, a thermos of coffee, a bottle of whisky and a whole bunch of sleeping pills out into the woods
>find a nice, secluded spot overlooking a lake, get myself nice and drunk, down a bunch of pills and sip coffee and be comfy while I drift off
>even if the pills+alcohol don't kill me, the hypothermia will while I sleep
Anything I can do to minimise the impact my now-toxic corpse will have on the local fauna as they'll undoubtedly want to have a nibble? Anything I can do to discourage scavengers and make it obvious they shouldn't eat me? I'm in Norway, if it matters.
>>
>>1447038
[NUTTY PUTTY INTENSIFIES]
>>
>>1447344
>planning on killing myself
It's your life but why would you do that?
>>
>>1447344
You’re going to wake up with your face and fingers frozen and have a horrible time crawling out.
Do something good with your life like assassinating Angela Merkel (for example).
>>
>>1447228
if you gotta clear snow or maybe flatten a spot for a tent or dig a shit/fire hole i guess they are good, ive been planning to pick one up but its definitely not coming with me most of the time.
>>
>>1446869
Just strap tennis rackets to your feet
>>
>>1447344
Get a rite-in-the-rain notepad or just any notepad in a waterproof container so you can leave a suicide note. don’t want us non-cowards having to figure out if you were murdered
>>
>>1447228
I just take a garden trowel. Amount of digging: catholes for loo2poo, rainwater trench, Dakota firepit if i'm stealth camping and want a hot meal. It werks juss fine and is much smaller and lighter than an entrenching tool.
>>1447344
I hate to be thatguy, but don't do it anon someone will miss your faggot ass. My best friend and hetero lifemate killed himself almost a year ago and I'm still all fucked up over it. I just wish he would have talked to me about whatever was wrong instead of being such a selfish bitch. We had shit to do.
>>
File: IMG_9936.jpg (86 KB, 591x519)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
Do you guys this is worth it?
The hydrapak seeker.
Its 3l for $20
Or how do you guys carry your water? I dont want to use pet bottles because "muh waste and contamination"
>>
Hey, /dad/.
I'm starting to get it. You started playing hunting games on the computer when I was a kid because you saw how much I loved that fucking thing. You saw how glued I was to it, and if you got into it, to, you'd get to talk to me about it.
You even bought a fucking Wii because you saw the gun attachments that reminded you of Duck Hunt as a kid, and you knew that if we played multiplayer games together, it'd be that much more likely that I'd finally get my Hunter's Safety and head out with you one day.

I'm sorry that it's too late.
>>
>>1447811
> I dont want to use pet bottles because "muh waste and contamination"
You don't want to use them because you are a fucking hipster. Stop listening to fuds, your tits are growing because you eat like a pig and not because of a fucking bottled water.
>>
I visit the everglades about once a month. Would anyone be intrested in watching videos of camping/ canoeing/ hiking in the everglades? Or would i be wasting my breath trying to video tape everything?
>>
>>1448060
I'd be interested. Idk try it out anyway, why not
>>
>>1447344
Can I have your steam games? Alternatively, you could sponsor me to immigrate to Norway.
>>
File: rip.jpg (117 KB, 791x1056)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>1447038
this happens in caves. it actually just means death
>>
>>1447811
just wide mouth nalgenes
>>
Is pic related a waste of $15 and 2oz? Does anyone have one or anything similar that they use (or bought and don’t use)? I think I want to pick one up but am on the fence on if I’ll really use it...
>>
>>1448127
That cave was more topologically complex than the diagram presented by the poster you replied to.
>>
If you're camping and snow storm comes do you need to keep shoveling snow off and away from tent?
What if you fall asleep and wake up and you're buried under fresh snow.
>>
>>1448276
4 season tents are built stronger and with steeper walls usually so they can handle a bit of snow. But yes, if it’s going to snow a lot, you do need to knock the snow off. You can use a 3 season tent too, but you just need to be even more diligent about it. Also you need to stake them well, which can be a pain in the ass to do when the ground is frozen (they make big snow stakes that you can bury, poor water on, and freeze into an ice block)
>>
>>1446085
Are you going up or down steep slopes? If you want to set up a backup for going down, it's fairly easy. You would need a harness, a descender, locking carabiners, rapides, tubular webbing, and a rope that could hold body weight. There are a ton of different ways to rappel. If you need to retrieve your rope, I recommend a knot block. A good resource would be The American Canyoneering skills checklist or some literature. I can't really help with solo river crossings, sounds sketchy. Bring a flotation device for sure.
>>1446125
This is definitely a way to survive if you get fucked somehow, but you absolutely cannot use this in many situations. Also, having to carry that much rope can certainly suck. If you use a knot block, you can use a pull cord which is significantly lighter than static rope. This technique also limits the anchor you can use and beats the piss out of rope.
>>
>>1448260
I just have a full length for my sleeping pad and use it to sit on, much more functional than an air mattress
>>
>>1448260
depends on the environment and your other gear. how much insulation do you want from rocks/coldness and would you be carrying something that could stand in for a similar job
>>
Do you ever cop a bit of gear and then the next model comes out and it's objectively much better than yours and even though yours is still all right it annoys you every time you use it?
>>
>>1448341
>>1448370
Fuck it, I bought it. It’s only $15 and I can find more than one purpose for it.
>>
About a year ago someone posted a link to a youtube channel of a guy who built his own house. Somewhere rural in the US. I haven't been able to find it since. the link that was posted when he got a crane in and a whole bunch of people to raise the frame that slotted together.
>>
>>1448397
knee pads
>>
File: FN_T_20.jpg (1.46 MB, 2400x2400)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB JPG
I need your help br/out/hers !
I've recently bought pic related, and I'm wondering if it is possible to attach additional equipment like sleeping bag to the backpack.
>>
>>1448598
From the pic you posted there's an ice axe loop and with the front strap you might be able to carry one of >>1448260 but I wouldn't count of fitting a sleeping bag or tent on the outside of that
>>
>>1448598
Is it only a 20L pack? Probably not going to happen, at least not comfortably or conveniently
>>
File: sq.jpg (24 KB, 246x333)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>1448601

>>1448606
Yep it's a 20L backpack

So what should I look for in backpack if I want to attach equipment like in pic related ? Also I'd prefer non military style solution
>>
Buying a liner to use 3 season sleeping bag in winter or biting the bullet and getting a winter sleeping bag?
Recently moved to a place where winters are actually cold
>>
>>1448279
I have 4-season but saw a forecast for 2-6ft of snow so I was imagining sleeping in tent and waking up to it buried or falling down.
Will normal stakes work in pure snow or do you need those bag things.
>>
>>1448598
>buys a pack with no straps on
>can i strap shit to it?

why anon
>>
File: smug dog is smug.jpg (92 KB, 640x580)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>1448260
cost and weight are nothing, but volume would annoy me. just sit on the damn ground.
>>1448396
i'm the opposite. both significant pieces of gear i've bought that had a major redesign the next year (gregory baltoro and osprey exos) were made objectively worse, so whenever i use them i feel smug.
>>1448598
just buy a pack that fits your shit. it will be easier to pack and more comfortable to carry.
>>
>>1448815
Snow stakes are easiest, you still need to pack the snow around them though. I usually just dump some water on each one so it packs nice and freezes into a block
>>
>>1448609
what the fuck are you using 20L for? would barely even fit a tent and a few days of food.
>>
File: 42827503_l.jpg (29 KB, 720x720)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
Anyone got any tips for managing in-grown hairs around this area in hot, humid conditions?
Compression shorts seem to help keep them away form my legs. but then I get problems where it squishes my package into my legs.
>>
>>1446131
itll probably rub on your thigh, not your nuts
>>
File: 20190204_123756.jpg (2.41 MB, 2560x1440)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
Okay real talk, what in the fuck is this on my firewood? It was making multiple pieces stick together pretty hard, made a Velcro like sound when I pulled it apart
>>
>>1448609
Nigga wtf are you doing with 20L and a sleeping bag a 20L is good only for daytrips, even ultralightfags go for 30L frameless bags. Hell, I have school bookbags that hold more than 20L

>I want external attachment points
You have three options
>military style MOLLE bag
>external frame pack
>internal frame pack like pic related, see the bottom attachment straps (for sleeping pad, tent) and side attachment straps (tent stakes, snowshoes)

Also it's not a good idea to attach a sleeping bag outside. Think about what happens if you encounter rain or set your backpack down on a wet surface
>>
>>1448815
No need to bring stakes (but actually bring them in case the snow melts), just find a few sticks and learn to make deadman anchors
https://www.backpacker.com/videos-photos/winter-skills-make-deadman-tent-stake-anchors

>>1448828
If you're below treeline and can find twigs, don't bother buying dedicated snow stakes you'll only use once or twice

>>1449091
Cursed image
>>
>>1449134
>Cursed image
s-should i be worried?
>>
>>1449087
lose weight
>>
Are backpacks with detachable daypacks worth it? I'm currently looking at an Aether AG70, but the European version without the daypack is about $150 cheaper
>>
>>1446085
Is there an /out/ recommnded product guide? Like, best down jacket, best thermos, best sleeping bag, etc?
>>
>>1449354
no. too many options, too many conditions, too many opinions. the only absolute is milsurp is shit, don't let the /k/ommandos trick you. best bet is to lurk in the gear generals.
>>
>>1449354
such thing does not exist, and this is the first thing you need to realise.

>where do you live (get to know your area)
>what temperature swings do you experiance? not just seasonally, but what is the day/night swing like?
>how is the humidity in your area? and how does it change throughout the day/night swing?

my advise,
get a tent/other solid shelter
>practice setting it up
do it in all sorts of weather
take your cookset and sleep and dp a s a sleep out to do a sleep migh but do a sleep a

a
shelter
a way to sleep
do a cook under
aaaaaa
sleeping bag keep it closed please!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

heh
>>
>>1446085
Why is this person not using the pulley?

>>1447371
>>1448127
:(
>>
>>1449247
I am planning on that but I wanted to gain a little more muscle before I do. I'm about 86kg at 6'0.
>>
>>1449421
whatever you need to tell yourself
>>
File: DP1011201809011800M.jpg (44 KB, 550x550)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>1449087
i like what adidas has. climalite or whatever.
>>
File: 3427160_ALT3.jpg (25 KB, 500x500)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>1449447
wait those are cotton... get the synthetic ones
>>
>>1449440
Keep it up, smart ass; I will sit on you and crush you to death.
>>
>>1448127
How? That hole looks barely big enough to fit him in. Just spreading arms should stop you sliding in.
>>
>>1449451
you'll have to catch me first, fatty
>>
Did people always post dead animal pics on /out/? I haven't been a consistent lurker here but in the last couple of days I've seen two dead doggos, dead rabbits etc.
It's one thing if it's relevant but do I really need to see a run over coyote as the header for a thread that isn't about running over coyotes?
>>
>>1449538
Nah it's just that edgy guy who used to post pictures of dead snakeheads with a knife through the skull but we all got used to it so he's trying to up the ante for more attention
>>
What's a decent hiking pace?
>>
>>1449812
2.5mph on mostly flat terrain, 1-1.5mph on climbs depending on how steep it is. In the snow or on technical terrain it’s slower obviously
>>
>>1449812
fast enough that you get to your destination. but not so fast that you're dead when you get there.
>>
>>1448260
Multi use items are the best items. I just sit on my tarp. And put it on the ground when I want to take my shoes off while eating lunch, etc. Folded up of course. I also have a cut up z-lite that I thought I would use as a seat but never have.
>>
>>1446173
alfie aesthetics 10/10

>>1449812
40-50km/day on easy terrain 20-30km/d on mountain paths. this might be a better metric than a per hour measure.

There's some kind of brand(type?) of new zealand wool sweater that I remember being talked about on /out/ last year and I can for the life of me not remember how it's called. can anyone help out?
>>
File: rucksack1.jpg (96 KB, 660x491)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
are external frame rucksacks completely outdated? Do they have any advantages over an internal frame? I just think they look cool
>>
What's the best brand of axe to get for bushcrafty bullshit? A wooden handle is ideal but what reputable brand makes a quality axe?
>>
>>1450592
buy a cheap one, see vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9BifhPJV1U
>>
>>1450600
Genuinely pretty helpful. Thanks
>>
>>1446085
What are some really good tarps to use for camping?

Ideally something I can use as a groundsheet, something to build A-Frames and Lean To, and something to cover a tent or hammock.

I'm not really worried about the price, I just want something that is indestructible and waterproof.
>>
>>1448276
Yes, the pressure from the snow pushing down will pull your door zippers apart.
>>
>>1450600
Pretty solid vid anon, as someone who still plans on getting a Gransfors.
Started off buying a shitty Rockforge 3.5lb with a fiberglass handle years ago to cut down a tree on my folks’ property (chainsaw gave out and wanted to play lumberjack for the day). Felled the tree, but completely chewed up the handle with overstrikes and took forever since the thing was dull as a butter knife.
Years later I’ve got my own property and brought it with me to split wood for the fire. Last week I finally drilled out the old handle and fit a new hickory haft, and practiced reprofiling the bit with a file. I enjoyed the process and the results of my efforts so much that I did the same with a shitty Estwing hatchet for clearing trails and plan to find some rusty heads at yard sales and antique shops to restore. End blogpost.
Only get a $$$ axe first if you’ve money to burn or no means of maintaining an inexpensive one.
>>
>>1448060
if its kino, ill watch
>>
/out/, east coaster invited to travel out west on family RV. any /out/ spots or advice? itinerary is flexible.
>>
>>1451705
Where west?
>>
>>1451727
atlantic to pacific across bottom half of usa anywhere and everywhere
>>
>>1451729
This is so fucking vague, do some of your own research for christ sakes. You're going to plan a 2,500 mile road trip off a few suggestions from 4chan? Pathetic
>>
>>1447344
>thinking whiskey and sleeping pills will kill you
lmao at your life retard
>>
>>1447791
I know this is a 7 day old post but please this. It's so considerate.
>>
>>1448276
Is snow not an insulator?
>Wake up in fart sack
>Buried under an unknown amount of snow
>Gasping for air
Not really cold though right?
>Be innabind
>Snow shit storm caught you off guard
>time to dig
As long as you have some insulation like a tarp and a decent coat to waterproof on the outside the air inside your faux igloo would keep you warm? Is that fudd lore?
>>
>>1451729
Through Oklahoma:
270 east through poteau, turn left in wister, go see wister lake. Back on 270 east pass through fanshawe look for a turn towards leflore/ summervill. When you get to leflore turn right at the intersection heading towards summervill there's nothing out towards summervill unless your just hick as shit, in which case you probably won't survive.
>Anyway
Your heading east from the intersection you'll pass some ball fields, a post office, and a convince store, keep left at the fork. You should be heading south east toward Bengal. Bengal is a hidden Jen but even I haven't been around that area enough to tell you about it. At the Bengal community center turn left towards talihina. That, instead of what the internet will tell you, is the seat of the Choctaw nation of Oklahoma. When you get to talihina head east at the T. That's going to be a beautiful detour. If you need fuel get it in buffalo valley, cause between wister and talihina there won't be fuel unless leflore got some, which it might not have. There was a store in fanshawe but I doubt it's open. Get it in wister if you want to be on the safe side. Head towards wilburton and robbers cave if you want some more cool shit, I'd recommend it if you have kids, the rocks are great for an afternoon but the park is also good for a few hours. Stay away from the lake, don't swim. If you want to make good time head toward hartshorn and ultimately mcAlester. Still a pretty scenic drive. Before you get to mcAlester you have the option of seeing eufaula lake before it's too late in alderson, turn right before the post office and head north to adamson road/ richvill Y. Keep north towards blocker on 31 till you get to the gas station then take that left. Stigler is cool too, but we're too far south to back track. Take that left to crowder, it's pretty nice. After the longest bridge, it's noticably longer, on the left hand turn in blocker "blocker road" it's going to go uphill then left.
>>
File: IMG_20190210_200500520.jpg (1.62 MB, 1836x3264)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB JPG
>>1451729
Look for a sign for acor Lane. That's the best view other than very intrusive views from bug tussle. You can head towards indianola and mcalester lake through canadian or just take 69 to mcalester. Going through Canadian you won't see anything you haven't already in regards to scenic views, a few hills, and alot of green shit. But eventually you will end up on 69 south through kiowa if I have my way, and while blanco has plenty of shit to see as well it's like bengal, and even I might get lost. But, if you happen to find yourself past wardvill, near buck Creek on 69 south. Stop at the turn off near buck Creek. It's on Google maps. Just past wardvill, the water mass on the west side. That's christal blue. That's all I care to share, and definitely some shit you won't find on travel websites.
>>
>>1452051
Man, I don’t know this shit about my own state.
Time to start planning a vacation.
>>
>>1452083
There is usually a cop situated after the Savannah school near a fruit stand on the right side after the ammo plant and the truck stop. Go 45 through Savannah, but 65 after the casino in macalester all the way past the turnpike on 69 south is good to go.
>>
wolves returning to Denmark, thoughts?
>>
>>1452315
Is there hunting in Denmark to keep the population in check?
>>
>>1449087
>>1449087
dude get some Saxx.
>>
>>1447811
ive liked mine, although i use it with the befree filter. platypus platy has a better weight to volume ratio, fwiw
>>
>>1452323
>Euros
>Having freedoms
m8
>>
>>1452323
Yes
>>1452393
Brainlet
>>
File: shit.png (190 KB, 582x311)
190 KB
190 KB PNG
>>1448598
Had last week the same problem, got my 2,5 lb new backpack but realized I fuck up with my sleeping bag. Now I'm forced to wear my old 7 lbs backpack in the next snow hike, already overloaded as fuck.
>>
I'm new to hiking. How can I find some good trails? I live in Manchester btw
>>
>>1452635
do you have a forest ministry? usually those have maps
>>
>>1452635
https://www.alltrails.com/england/greater-manchester not sure how much you can see without an account, but give it a try
>>
File: img_0890-768x1024.jpg (391 KB, 768x1024)
391 KB
391 KB JPG
how do i hit this Aesthetic?

is there a moder emuvalent?
>>
File: 1523081769323.png (1.6 MB, 992x704)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB PNG
>solo bushwacking
Proceed with caution anon
>>
>>1449812
One thousand feet of vertical gain and two miles per hour is a good pace spread over a day.
>>
>want to live in a camper trailer sometime in the future
>want solar to be my main source of power
>will buy numerous batteries
>planning to move around every couple of years to avoid boredom unless i find the perfect place to live
>plan to live by myself for a good while, maybe have a dog but that's about it
Is this possible to do all with just solar?
>>
>>1450582
I'm with you anon. I'm thinking about giving one a go actually.
>>
What should I consider for my first hike? I'm moderately fit. Complete newbie.
>>
>>1452757
>What should I consider for my first hike? I'm moderately fit. Complete newbie.
K2 if you're a newbie
>>
>>1447805
>I hate to be thatguy
Sorry for your loss anon.
>>
>>1450582
They still work just fine. The advantage is that its easier to tie gear to the outside
>>
>>1452757
Try to find a circular trail. If you can't find one of those, just look for something smaller than 5 miles. You can use alltrails or just see what's on Google maps for well known trails.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (29 KB, 900x675)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
What are /out/s views on snugpak sleeping bags? Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap ($50) but decent one?
>>
>>1452637
Checked it out the site is shit. But this >>1452640 helped. Thank you anons
>>
>>1453213
I like all my snugpak products. Don't have a sleeping bag, but have a couple of hammock quilts and the jungle blanket, and they're plenty nice.
>>
Fuck bros, what are some good glacier boots? Almost died today desu
>>
>>1452641
Get 1960s milsurp gear, if not earlier. That's about when most armies shifted away from leather and wool materials, though some were using them later. I've got a wool swiss jumper from the 90s and some French wool/leather gloves.

To be real with you though, that gear wouldn't be good for general hiking. It's good for sitting down in a cockpit when you're freezing.
>>
>>1453426
but is there a modern equivalent of the aesthetic?
>>
>>1453409
Do you mean mountain boots?
>>
>>1453409
were you using crampons anon?
>>
File: TanLayDown.png (2.2 MB, 1200x1200)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB PNG
Why so many gloves have that for?
>>
>>1453601
I thought so you could tie a string to them so if you break your hand, you can still at least give someone the finger
>>
>>1453601
>>1453615
It's actually a loop to hang the gloves to dry lol
>>
>>1453532
I meant something with fucking cleats for ice so I don’t have to tightrope walk on ice.
>>1453533
Nah but that seems like a decent way to make any footwear into ice wear. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>1453601
So you can hang it from your pack or harness without snow ending up inside it.
>>1453766
Just buy crampons. Built in stuff tends to suck ass. If you're actually traveling on a glacier you should have mountain boots with crampons, an ice axe, a partner, and the gear to perform a rescue if you fall into a crevasse.
>>
Apologies friends, but /ck/ sucks...

I was given a simple smoker, it looks like a 55 gal barrel with a hot box attached on the side. After about 10 hours I struggle to maintain even 200F in the meat section. I'm pulling ash out as I go, but there is a ton of it. Is the brickettes the problem? Should I try lump or actual wood for the fire?

Thank you in advance.
>>
>>1454628
If you're smoking for 10 hours, why are you trying to have the temp that high?
>>
>>1446869
My buddy owns a snow shoe business. Im sure he knows someone who owns some good snow shoes. Ill call him and get back to you
>>
>>1454675
I did both a pork shoulder and beef brisket. Each wasn't at temp after 10 hours at 225-250F.
>>
Might just be because I am phone posting but the two pdfs for useful tips in the sticky aren't working

Does anyone have any new sources? Brand new to /out/ and I wanna start getting into the backpacking life style/hunting.
>>
>>1452757
What I did (about two years ago), was wear a small backpack with water, two lighters, smokes, couple sandwiches, and had a fully charged cell phone. Hiked a circular 6 miles over about five hours, maintained trail. Gives you the feeling of hiking in the area, while keeping you comfy. Worst case scenario you decide to ditch halfway through, in which case you go back the way you came, because you know the path already. I recommend learning the elevations of the path if you can. First time I did it, went downhill the first half and uphill the second half. Big mistake for first timer, the last hour of it sucked
>>
>>1448127
>>1449454
Just to clear any misconceptions, that's not a pic from the Nutty Putty cave and the guy in the pic didn't die
>>
>>1453443
Not really. This was made as a flight suit so the look of flight suits has changed a lot since then.
>>
File: herb visual diagram.jpg (417 KB, 1509x1272)
417 KB
417 KB JPG
Are multivitamins worth or is it a scam?
>>
how do people achieve 3 day backpacking/hiking loads in a 30-35liter pack? I'm eye balling the mystery ranch komodo but as a less than experienced backpacker it just seems like so little space for 3 days.
>>
How’s the /out/ in Canada?
>>
>>1455453
they're fairweather summerfaggots with too much money to spend on mountainhouse meals
>>
>>1455189
They're really good for the body however INCREDIBLY overhyped and sold at the retail level to the point it's basically a scam to buy anything "magic" products someone wants to sell you. They're good remedies/supplements for legitimate issues, however the average person (i.e. target for scams) buys them thinking they're gonna turn into this Limitless-esque person.
>>
>>1451566
something that's 9'x7' will be big enough. If you want to use it as a ground sheet then you'll want a material that is going to puncture and abrasion resistant. High end material will be a thick DCF, like you'll want it to be 1.0 or a more affordable material will be silnylon. Again go for something thicker. 70D+ probably.
>>1447811
I tend to carry two 1.5L or 2L standard store bought water bottles in my side pockets then if I am somewhere dry I carry one or two extra 2L platypus bags.
>>1448260
If you carry a CCF sleeping bag just use that to sit on. I tend to cut my z lite done to 6 panels so could use the off cuts as a sit pad. But yeah $15 for a sitpad(tm) is a waste, if you really need one just grab any old foam.
>>1449352
>Are backpacks with detachable daypacks worth it?
Only if you need a betachable day bag. but you could easily buy some tiny packable day pack and shove it in your main bag. I wouldn't limit my pack choices if I needed one as the priority is to buy a comfy pack.
>>1449354
out gear is too activity specific for a general guide. but you're safe if you stick to reputable brands. the answer to
>is this cheap off brand item any good
is usualy no.
>>1449812
pace isn't really an issue. you can cover big distances and not hike at >3mph. the trick is to hike long. get your lazy ass out of camp before sun rise and hike till sunset. but 2.5mph is a good number to keep in mind. you can than add ~20mins per 100ft climbed.
>>1453213
I used one for a while, forget which one. It was ok. packed down small enough and weight wise ok. It was well made and tough. but the synthetic insulation degraded pretty quick and after a couple of years was no where near as warm as it was when I first got it. Down will last a lot longer and is the best insulation unless you are somewhere that is riduclously wet/damp. even then down is managable is you are careful
>>
>>1455189
there is evidence that they aren't very effective. and desu you really don't need to eat very much fruit and veg to get what the body needs.
>>
>>1456196
>>1456187
How do I get muh calcium tho?

>milk
them antibiotics tho
>>
>>1453768
Thanks for the advice anon but it wasn’t even a real glacier just the snow on the dirt trail melted just enough to freeze again into entirely ice as thick as the snow around it and with a curving surface.

I had to back down from a trail less than a mile and a half long, but it was all uphill and only got increasingly steeper. I could’ve easily cracked the back of my skull open coming back down.

I wasn’t prepared, but next time I will be and heck maybe I’ll even get into proper glacier and mountain shit now that I got a taste for it.
>>
Should I even bother buying stuff between bottom-tier and elite-tier?
Seems like if I spend good money on something pretty good I might just end up still wanting some ultralight shit later on anyway.
>>
File: downloadfile-50.jpg (212 KB, 1024x768)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
>>1446173

I find MCQ Bushcraft breddy comfy, but if you can't abide Bongs, that might be a deal breaker.
>>
File: 1547566945712.jpg (90 KB, 1024x758)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>1446602

Kek, well fucking played sir. >>1446869
>>
can anyone recommend to me a good 4 season 1 man tent? Preferably not in a gay high vis color, something like green or coyote brown
>>
File: 764187.jpg (13 KB, 440x231)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
What is the point of these cups?
>>
>>1452315
Wolves usually don't attack humans anyway.
>>
>>1457315
>When u want to larp with your millenial friends at the car camp but it has to be onlythebestforyou.jpg so you get the overpriced memetainium cups that the REI rep convinced you to buy in case you decide to go on a backpacking self-discovery trip you always promised yourself you would do 5 years ago when you graduated liberals arts college but now you have too much in student loans to afford it or so that's what you tell yourself but it's really because you're too scared to put on a heavy backpack and go somewhere without cellphone signal since it means you can't #instagram about your #wildernes #adventures
>>
>>1457581
this is literally every single one of my wifes friends
luckily they're also all alcoholics so we get along ok
>>
>>1457581
Thanks bra but I didn't mean the titanium part at all. I meant the sierra cup part. What is the point of sierra cups?
>>
I was just gifted a 50$ Amazon gift card. What should I get that is /out/ related? I have most of my kit sorted I would just like to augment it a bit.
>>
>>1458398
Buy 4 Old Hickory butcher knives
>>
>>1458424
I already have a pretty good knife anon. How are these? For eleven bucks are they even worth the purchase? It has some good reviews.
>>
Best binoculars?
>>
>>1458809
Do you already have a set?
if so, what do you use them for?
why do you want to replace them?
How many hot dogs can you fit in your mouth at once?
What do you want to use your new set for?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.