[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 55 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

File: this_sucks.jpg (221 KB, 816x979)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
Ask me anything.
Please note I won't dox myself.
>>
How can you sleep at night knowing you are responsible for burning millions of acres and critters through incompetence, greed and self dealing? Or did you only want hard hitting questions like how are you helping to increase diversity of underrepresented communities in eccoliberation modeled intersectionalities?
>>
why didn't I get jerb yet
>>
>>1432251
>How can you sleep at night knowing you are responsible for burning millions of acres and critters through incompetence, greed and self dealing?
Generally I only get a few hours of sleep. That said, a lot of the problems with wildfire management can be chased down to the following factors:
>Well intentioned idiots being duped into funding "advocacy groups" that will then ignore public comment periods during nepa, and then fire off frivolous and delaying lawsuits that put tsi, health and sanitation and other beneficial projects into a legal purgatory until those lawsuits are resolved, which can take years.
>sabotage from within the agency where some people have gotten into a position of power, EG wilflife biologist, and will go into an approved sale, TSI treatment area, or other project area that involves equipment working off established roads generally after a rainstorm, and flag any temporary roads/skidder trails or just depression where water had pooled due to litter dams as a wetland and kill the project.
>Cross agency interference. Generally only comes from the EPA and NPS, and even the park service isn't as bad as the EPA because the EPA generally sends fuckwads that don't actually understand nature is a system... Also they tend to fuck things up on an epic scale when they do (EG that tailings dam breach a few years back on the animas river in colorado, that was ALL the EPA's fault.)
>Nepa. Seriously the whole review can take easily 6 years, and while we're talking time scales as long as 50 to 100 years when it comes to forest health, 6 to 10 years is a long time for the public, and as a result priorities can shift and congress can throw a wrench in the works by deciding to designate an area as wilderness, or special protection area.

> Or did you only want hard hitting questions like how are you helping to increase diversity of underrepresented communities in eccoliberation modeled intersectionalities?

What the fuck do those weasel words even mean?
>>
>>1432232
They should just fire you parasites, everything is running smoothly without you.
>>
>>1432257
Call ASC
I forgot what the furlough hours are.
>>
>>1432268
t. has not visited a national park during the shutdown
>>
>>1432268
Well that's because it's literally only 25% of the government actually shut down, and no things are not running smoothly, the thing is with the forest service and BLM it just takes a couple of months for it to become evident.
>special use permits not getting issued, things of that nature.
>wildfire crews not being hired.
>forest roads not being maintained

Things of that nature. I mean fuck, look at all the shit that's gone sideways because people flooded the parks and monuments because "lol the government's shut down we don't have to pay to enter or follow the rules".
>>
>>1432232
Watchu think about bigfoot?
>>
>>1432276
If the jack links commercials are to believed (and that one dude who I had to lead back to civilization after something treed him), bigfoot is not to be fucked with.
>>
>>1432271
t. Believes msn

I have been to both Padres island and big bend since the shut down. People are voluntarily cleaning up.
>>
How to get a summer job as a college student? Can apply to state parks as well.
>>
>>1432280
>and that one dude who I had to lead back to civilization after something treed him

Please elaborate.
>>
>>1432312
Would you like a Jack Links to the story?
>>
>>1432311
Well unfortunately hiring for Fiscal year 2019 has already happened. You can however volunteer, and there's a few student intern opportunities available. Ask your natural resources department at your college (if you don't have one look for a different college?), and ask around at your local forest service district once the furlough is over for any seasonal or volunteer opportunities. .... There might be another fire hire, I'm not 100% sure though.

>>1432312
Ok, so bear with me, it's a big greentext. Thankfully I already posted it once over on /k/.

>Different year, different forest, now getting the hang of this "forest service seasonal" thing
>left in charge of making sure three different campgrounds are kept running, only one is a fee site, it's kinda my priority.
>there's a lake, and a trail around it, and a connecting trail that leads up to the PCT.
>First week I'm out there is spent de-winterizing things, stocking up on deet because despite the rain the mosquitos are out for blood in force and clearing blowdown from around the trail.
>kinda get a 'things are weird' feeling when clearing brush off on the far side of the lake, so I fuck off and do other things for a bit and things feel right .
>midway through the season get a call in the morning as I'm gearing up for work
>someone's spot device went off less than a mile from the camp
>boss wants me to see if I can find him wheile S&R gets it's shit ready since they're a few hours out.
>I shrug, put the coordinates in and drive up the mountain and hike out, got a pulaski and a radio.
>coordinates lead me up the connecting trail, and then off to the west find a tent right on the trail
>figure this is as good a spot to start off trail
>flag a tree branch every now and then with neon flagging I borrowed from the forest biologist
>there's literally a trail of camping equipment and clothes from the trail to a small clearing.
[1/3]
>>
>>1432328
>there's a scrawny turbohiker type halfway up a snag that's about in the middle of the clearing.
>I at first try to be nice and talk him down
>"Good morning, I'm anon with the forest service, can I help you".
>Well... that's what I was going for I got to "morn-" when he told me to fuck off and tossed a tin off into the woods.
>guy didn't even look down at me.
>I radio in to the fire crew that are halfway up the mountain that I think I found the lost hiker, that or w have two of them.
>dude start's rambling. I give up on negotiations, I'm bad at that shit.
>"I do not get paid enough for this shit, if you don't come down out of that tree I'm cutting it down."
>smack the base of the snag with my pulaski.
>This gets his attention, and after a bit more back and forth of "you're real" "Yes I'm real. Get the fuck down I'm not climbing up there."
>Finally talk him down, help him collect his shit and hike him back to the campgrounds.
>get his story, he'd been on the PCT for about a week and was supposed to meet a friend at our campground for a resupply of food.
>the night before night something big had sat down on his tent and only fucked off when he started screaming bloody murder.
>In a panic he packed up and started heading down from the trail in the dark
>he hears something behind him screaming or maybe yowling at him.
>he stumbles and sees something to his side and he just books it off trail
>finds the tree and climbs it and spends the rest of the night shouting at noises
>shit finally ends come morning.
>As the fire crew is taking over, their medic is checking his vitals etc he asks how I found him.
>"dude, your spot device gives us GPS coordinates, it isn't just a fancy text message box."
>"But... I didn't turn it on, that was in my day pack, we found that on the way back to the trail"
>weird feelings about that but ignore it.

[2/3]
>>
>>1432329
>Few weeks later.
>incident is pretty much forgotten in my mind.
>no one died and some dipshit correctional officer tried to throw his badg around and scared our camp hosts.
>The local members of the oath-keepers actually offered to 'deal with him' and I legitimately considered it for a few minutes because I'd already had to call the state police on him twice already because our LEO was being a dick and not wanting to talk him into following the camp rules.
>Rainy day, out collecting trash at the day use beach.
>big fuckoff dog, looks like what you'd gt from mixing a long haired retriever, a husky and then put that all on the frame of a great dane off at the edge of the beach near the trail
>no leash, no collar
>getting ready to chew someone out for letting their dog run around without a leash
>dog just gives me a shiteating grin and fucks off into the woods
>I get back to my truck.
>bundle of neon pink flagging tape and a well chewed on spot device now sitting on the hood of my truck.
>Spent the rest of my day hanging out with the oathkeeper guys and talking shop about hunting and firearms because they were the only people in camp.
>>
>>1432310
admittedly i've personally only been to pinnacles, and while there was an effort to clean it up, it was such a shitshow (both figuratively and literally) that the park was closed, but i also have first hand reports from a couple of my cousins that people are fucking up pt reyes, yosemite and j tree, to corroborate the news reports.
>>
>>1432265
>What the fuck do those weasel words even mean?
The he isn’t an intelligent person who actually know how the government operates
>>
>>1432310
Padres Island is a junk heap already and they have tons of volunteers that clean up for them regularly. I used to work there, we ot all sorts of trash washing up on shore. Buoys, parts of planes, drugs pushed overboard by smugglers, pieces of drilling platforms, mannequins, tires, Mylar balloons, etc.
The problem with Joshua Tree is how accessible it is and this being the prime time to go out there means you’re getting a lot of fuck heads.
>>
>>1432232
Got any spooky stories or heard of spooky stories from colleagues?

>follow up
Do you believe in skinwalkers/wendigos?
>>
>>1432337
>NPCs corroborating msm

Checks out
>>
Can I legally take a rifle and guard national parks and shoot anyone abusing them?
>>
>>1432408
Yes
>>
>>1432410
Fucking sweet for real?

So I could go to jishua tree and shoot people that are offroading illegally or chopping down trees? Is there like an ordinance or bylaw I can cite?
>>
>>1432408
Probably not.

>>1432411
None that I can think of.
>>
>>1432401
>/pol/tard using the current meme insult de jour
>Didn’t come up with it, just spams it endlessly, like an NPC programmed to only say one thing
It’s hilarious that you don’t see the irony in using that insult.
>>
>>1432310
>I have been to both Padres island and big bend since the shut down. People are voluntarily cleaning up

Ah yes, because the temporary goodwill of people not being paid to do shit work will continue indefinitely, and definitely isn't something people are only willing to do due to the temporary nature of the situation.
>>
>>1432232
Do I have the right to shoot you if you come to my tent at night and scare me?
Does the tent qualify as a house?
>>
>>1432265
fuck
Don't know why I expected anything other than the typical symptoms of a bloated bureaucracy.
thanks for taking the time to type that.
>>
>>1432469
No problem. I usually try to explain these problems to anyone that asks.

>>1432466
Not really, no you don't.
>>
>>1432493
Not sure why not though. Just recently some girls were ambushed in their tent and murdered.
Do you really think I will ask questions first if I hear someone trying to get into my tent in the middle of the night?
>>
>>1432525
This desu. Your tent should be considered your castle and park workers should respectfully fuck off
>>
>>1432561
yes indeed, if I live there it's my house. They have no business terrorizing me at night.
For most lawyers it will be a piece of cake to defend me.
>>
>>1432315
>>
>>1432525

When I was a park ranger I usually yelled a warning from 25-50ft prior to entering someone's camp. That's common n courtesy since the days of longhunters and mountain men.

You probably wouldn't win a legal battle if you shot someone. But they certainly had it coming if they didn't announce themselves.
>>
>>1432634

To add, if they came out of their tent to talk, we'd talk on the edge of the camp. Keep in mind, rangers have the right to enter your camp, but it's a dick move to just barge in uninvited. I got much better compliance with park rules by using these methods than my co-workers who stormed into camps and tried to run a verbal judo script.
>>
>>1432636
it's mostly the night time I'm more concerned about.
But even in the daytime, places like Europe can be complicated
>>
>>1432310
>we don't need the federal government because citizens will volunteer to get work done
kek now I know why there are no libertarians over the age of 18.
>>
>>1432659
Just remove the trash cans like they did to most places in the 1980s and put up a pack it in pack it out sign. Funny thing is that the parks would be alot cleaner if they removed all the fancy government offices, vehicles, housing and other wasteful spending
>>
>>1432664
Janitorial contractor for the federal government here.

just wanted to mention those signs don't actually work. I clean outhouses in 5 counties. The ones with trash cans are always full of trash. The ones without trash cans are also always full of trash.

people don't pack it in pack it out. They dump stuff so often I have to assume that's just human nature.
>>
>>1432328
>hiring
Wut? usajobs still has active listings
>>
>>1432891

There are placeholder listings in Usajobs, nobody actually looks at them. The actual seasonal hiring is done.

>Source: I'm a USFS employee, but not OP
>>
>>1432930
I don't see any entry-level FS listings at all. There are some BLM and NPS listings, but yeah, first consideration dates are past.

Having said that, there might be a round of late hires. There were quite a lot last year, at least for fire.
>>
>>1432930
even the blm positions are placeholder?
>>
>>1432891
its all depends on the job classification and area some places hire at different times. BLM hires at different times than the FS than the NPS etc.. To say its all done is rather disingenuous to people actually looking to get into NRS. Especially saying that as a forest service employee since hiring is revolved around your centralized HR.
>>1432311
try here if you want to try a job with the FS
https://fsoutreach.gdcii.com/Outreach
for DOI departments like BLM, NPS, FWS youll have to navigate through USA jobs. If you have an area in mind I suggest going to wherever their buildings are located near you and asking. If you dont get anything this year you at least made your presence.

t. goberment employee
>>
>>1433055
My understanding on BLM listings is they're left open basically year round and your name just gets added to the list, and then if they have something open up they pull from applicants on that list to form the cert.
>>
>>1433109
The ones I applied for are seasonal and have an expiration date for the listing
>>
>>1432664
>parks would be alot (sic) cleaner if they weren't readily accessible to people
No shit.
>>
>>1432328
>Hiring for 2019 has already happened
No it hasn't. Fire hire hasn't even happened yet you retard.
>>
>>1432328
>>1433141
you guys act like FS or Park Circus is all there is.

hell, you guys are the worst of the available opportunities. Seriously. The weakest budgets and the absolute lowest pay. People be better off flipping burgers at mickey dees.
>>
File: timeline2.jpg (60 KB, 960x696)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>1433141
Allow me to clarify.
All the seasonal FY 2019 postings for the forest service have been posted onto USAjobs and closed because ASC got a bug up their ass about centralizing the hiring process and having it all done by January 20th so that through some miracle they could issue every seasonal a lincpass because they decided last season that every seasonal should have one too.
Literally no one in my office was even aware of this until I mentioned it because an acquaintance at ASC had leaked me the powerpoint slides with the timeline.

Additionally agencywide, hardly anyone even got over the phone interviews, they were simply called with their offer, and I don't actually know what happened with anyone that declined.
>>
File: timeline1.jpg (103 KB, 960x700)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>1433152
and the other slide I was leaked.
>>
>>1433152
Is the shutdown affecting this at all
>>
>>1433155
not him but yes, the complete absence of anyone in the office to do interviews or actually hire anyone is slowing down hiring quite a bit.
>>
>>1433155
>>1433156
then there's the fact that in many districts your security clearance is done by a contractor that hasn't been paid since Christmas and isn't going to run your security clearance until at least 2 weeks after the shutdown ends.
>>
>>1433156
i want a job the wait is draining
>>
>>1433160
a few agencies are still open. The only ones I work for personally are BOR and DOD. But they're hiring uninterrupted. VA might be hiring as well, I don't know about them.

either way it doesn't much matter. Unless you're a veteran with active duty in a combat zone and some disability and a BSc from the GI bill your odds of getting a job are minimal.

Read through what these silly faggots have to say, you need to get in as a temp worker and then convince everyone you work with to keep you on permanently. Getting gov work is fucking difficult.

I personally am a combat veteran and went the contractor route because the barriers to entry are MUCH lower and the pay is a lot higher. You do you though.
>>
>>1433161
>temp worker
i.e. "seasonal" or "summer help" in most agencies
>>
>>1433141

My rehire action was already being put together prior to the shutdown. New hires should follow shortly after.

Firehire is on a different timeline.
>>
>>1433151

>$16+ per hour to cruise timber
>Oregon minimum wage is $10.75 per hour
>better off at McDonald's

Wut?
>>
>>1433177
I work with GS-9's that make $100k after OT and work for a GS-13 making $110k with a BSc

I also work with GS-4 to GS-6 making barely minimum wage in the forest cervix with exactly the same qualifications and degrees.

Forest service is the lowest paying federal agency I work with, and I work with them all. Park circus is just as bad unless you're LEO with prior active duty military.

we all know it. People line up and beg to work in the forest. The pay is incredibly low because every /out/ faggot is dying to work for free.

MickeyDees pays management a lot more than min wage.
>>
>>1433179

Honestly more to do with stagnant wages in the forestry industry in general. Even large companies like Stimson and Starker don't pay cruisers more than $15/hr. Foresters often come in at $35-45000 per year, which is far less than they should make given the knowledge needed for the job and responsibilities that come with it.

Only financially viable paths are to push up to a GS 13 at an SO (hard to do) or become a consultant. Going the consultant route means you're paying for your own benefits though, which eats into the extra pay.

Shit will catch up eventually. Lots of people rumbling about the need to end diversity hiring and raise wages in the FS. I feel like the agency could get ALOT more done if we cut down staff to just a few well qualified and well compensated (and thus motivated) employees.

Honestly, alot of my co-workers just slow things down in the woods due to incompetence.
>>
>>1433177
or to put it more succinctly:

burger flipper at McD's= GS-1
Shift manager= GS-4
Asst. manager= GS-9
GM= GS-12+

McDonalds is by far the better career choice, and it's the worst of fast food jobs. Lots of fast food places pay much better than that.
>>
>>1433182
>Shit will catch up eventually
and that's the truth really.

Davis Bacon isn't just base wages, it includes insurance and paid time off. If the FS actually audited contractors the pay in the private sector would rise and then the private rates would have to follow.

You guys have the lowest budgets of any agency, I know this for a fact. This isn't your fault, but it does very much affect your pay.
>>
>>1433186
>then the private rates would have to follow.
public I mean
>>
>>1433185

Quick Google search shows a manager at McDonald's makes about $46000 per year. Gs 12 is $63000. You're full of shit. Not to mention the USFS benefits package is better, work environment is better and is a career path that allows for upward mobility.
>>
>>1433188
>Quick Google search shows a manager at McDonald's makes about $46000 per year.
without bonuses that's about right.

with bonuses you're way off.

so it depends how you do. Capitalism, it fucking rocks.

>a career path that allows for upward mobility.
lol
I've worked for McDonalds and I've worked for the federal government. How about you?
>>
>>1433189

Currently working for the federal government. I'm about 6 months from getting merit status for hiring, at which point I'll likely be jumping into a 7/9/11 ladder position and from there using the connections I've made at my forest's SO to jump into a GS-12. Ny current supervisor really likes my work ethic and trusts me to do a good job. He's fairly certain I can pull off that rate of advancement. I'll be going from a 5 to an 11 or 12 in a matter of years.

I also worked a shitty big box retail job for 4 years while in college and only got an 80 cent pay raise the whole time. I was offered a manager position, but it only paid a dollar more. There is little upward mobility in that situation.
>>
>>1433195
Nice. I'm not going to belittle your accomplishments, that's very fucking impressive.

Personally I'm a janitorial contractor working for the USFS, DOD, BOR, EPA, and VA.
what you'll find as a GS-12 when you start learning about COR duties and maybe FAR stuff is that I charge on average $24k to clean your offices. I also clean on average 10 such federal faciilites per year meaing I gross about 1/4 million dollars a year. But I also have on average a 5 year renewable contract, so I make by accrual accounting about $1.25 million a year to empty your trash and scrub your toilets.

perhaps once you understand this you'll join me in either 8a contracting or biz admin services. The real money isn't in federal employment, it's in contracting to the fed.

I don't mean this as a taunt or jibe. The real money is very much outside your agency. Fuck upward mobility, make millions.
>>
>>1433198

Ha. Just got my COR 1 like 3 months ago.

Honestly I do acknowledge that the kind of money I want to make isn't attainable through any means in the forestry industry.

My main plan has been to penny pinch and put together enough to invest in running a real estate or contract work business on the side.
>>
>>1433200
>My main plan has been to penny pinch and put together enough to invest in running a real estate or contract work business on the side.
you're on the right track

funny enough one of my main leads is talking my GS-12 and 13 bosses into working with me on biz admin work. It's a billion dollar industry requiring nothing more than a solid understanding of FAR. Which you get for free.
>>
>>1433195
>I'm about 6 months from getting merit status for hiring

Make sure you have ALL your SF-50s and performance reviews (or have a damn good explanation in word doc format). I've gotten shafted twice now, once because the person that read through my paperwork couldn't comprehend one that explained I was converted from a winter to a summer position on the same forest and there was no break in employment, and so they were stumbling over the lack of a termination and then hiring SF-50.

And the other time was because my supervisor refused to give me a performance review because he got lazy and put together my performance plan with less than 90 days left on my season.

I've added word docs explaining both, and only missed out on a permanent because some jackwagon with a masters applied for a 5/7/9 (I heard later that he quit literally the day after ASC closed the cert)
>>
>>1433201

How do conflict of interest laws play out for former employees? I figure so long as I'm not contacting with an agency I used to work fir things should be good, but there's alot of weird rules regarding those things.

>>
>>1433204

All SF-50s and sealed performance reviews are in a filing cabinet in my home office (don't trust leaving it in my work desk since wierd shit can happen). I heard about people getting screwed on that and have kept my documentation since day one.
>>
>>1433205
I'm a federal contractor, I once hired a federal employee to work for me for a period of 3 years without problems.

she's now my boss on one contract.

I think the law on that is pretty loose. you can't be working for me AND be the person hiring me. You can't be my CO or COR and work for me. but other than that it's all good.

contracting with an agency you used to work for is fine. In fact you can be both an employee and a contractor of the same agency at the same time.
>>
>>1433205
so to clarify-
I once hired a federal employee to clean her own offices.

this was legal because she wasnt' the CO or COR on that contract.

as a federal employee you can contract all you want as long as you're not also the CO or COR on your own contract.
>>
Which affects logging activity on fed land more: environmental regulation or demand for timber as a commodity?
>>
File: 1546198124892.jpg (30 KB, 600x576)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>1432685
>"X here"
>Reddit spacing
>>
>>1433157
>>1433152
damn, extremely joocy and explains a lot, thanks
mfw an anonymous minnesotan ice fishing classified ads site is literally a better source of information about the federal hiring process than any official documentation

>>1433161
I don't think it's quite so dire as that. yeah, you have to put in a few years as a temp before getting a permanent job, but big picture the first couple years of your career are gonna be low paid no matter where you go, and as a contractor you don't get benefits at all except what you secure for yourself, whereas perm USG employees get a pretty solid benefits package.

It can be quite difficult to get any one particular job, particularly if the one you're after happens to be near a big metro area or famous scenic recreation destination, but if you're willing to move it's not so bad. imo.

>>1433179
>>1433185
>we all know it. People line up and beg to work in the forest. The pay is incredibly low because every /out/ faggot is dying to work for free.
well, yeah. so you're not better off at mcdick's if you want to work in the woods. lots of people accept a pay cut relative to the counterfactual because they like working outside. this also applies to being a janitorial contractor--if you're happy to work inside, there are lots of better-paying options.
(though there's always logging)

>>1433195
that's impressive, but I wouldn't say it's representative, either
>>
>>1432271
thats only bc we let foreigner tourists in who dont give a shit about the parks. Every human will get the i dont give a shit about this place lets trash it.
>>
>>1433195
Just so you know, I've been lied to multiple times about permanent positions that I take it all with a grain of salt. I've heard a lot of "it's just not the right time..." bullshit.
>>
>>1433185
Knowing this much about McDonald’s and nothing about government jobs...top kek
>>
>>1433452
This means you are considered a bad hire anon. They don’t want you hired.
>>
>>1433799

Ha, I was about to point that out, but didn't want to spend the next 30 minutes in a petty internet fight.

Thanks for taking that one, anon.
>>
>>1433814
No problem...hopefully you’ll soon get back to work with your back pay.
>>
>>1432493
'I was afraid i was going to die. Some stranger was accosting me in the middle of the wilderness in the middle of the night unannounced.' You cant just shoot someone doing illegal stuff in the forest but at least in the free world the definition for justifying lethal force in self defense is a reasonable fear for that you (or someone else but your vulnerable to being mistaken that their situation meets the conditions) in reasonable fear of immediate death or great bodily harm. If I were on a jury 'yeah he was ripping into my tent' would satisfy me.
>>
After getting out of the military, with no relevant education, what paths can I take towards some kind of forest service job? I suppose ideally I'd like to be a Game Warden, but anything innawoods would be good. Seasonal is fine, looking mostly at Montana, but I'm willing to move. Officer if that matters.
>>
>>1433858
First, get a degree in something law enforcement related. An associate's should do, but shoot for a bachelor's if you want to hedge your bets. OSU has a natural resources program with an option in conservation law enforcement. That'd be a good route. GI Bill should cover this.

Start working seasonal recreation jobs during your summers at school and get your FPO (Forest Protection Officer) status. This means you can write citations but can't arrest, which is the most enforcement authority you'll get until you're permanent.

Work on forests popular with tourists, since they keep rec staff on longer than timber or fire focused forests.

Once you have a collective 24 months of work under your belt as a seasonal you'll qualify for merit status. Merit coupled with veteran's preference puts you at the top of most hiring lists.

Volunteer with a local sheriff's department doing SAR to build your resume. Get a wilderness EMT cert and read up on verbal judo.

If you weren't an MP when you were in, consider joining the National Guard as one. Prior federal law enforcement training of any sort is a huge bonus.

Not all of those steps are necessary. Pick and choose what works for your situation. But if you actually do hit all of those points you'll be hired for sure.
>>
>>1433863
Thank you very much, this is exactly what I've been looking for. I do have one question though. I'm not MP, but I've been told that people who are interested in being a LEO after service shouldn't go MP as the MPs learn a completely different system, and most departments would prefer to have someone fresh than retrain them out of their old system. Is that different for forest service type stuff?
>>
>>1433863
There's a new hotshot wildland fire crew in southern Oregon that only hires veterans. Probably your best chance at getting on a hotshot crew and making $45k in one summer.
>>
>>1433864

I've never heard that, though it could be a thing. We have an occupational retraining program on my forest for vets to transition into civilian jobs. All the dudes I've met that come through looking to go into law enforcement have been MPs or some sort of security MOS.

I'd contact the Supervisor's Office of the forest you're most interested in and see if their LEO would be willing to chat with you, they might be able to give a more accurate picture of what they want to see.

Most of the USFS LEOs I've worked with are super friendly, so you'll probably get your questions answered.
>>
>>1433867
Alright excellent, thanks. This is kind of a ways off for me, but I'm trying to get things in order mentally for what steps to be looking to take when, etc. This gives me a good picture for starting points.
>>
>>1433870

No problem. Planning ahead and being ready to do the work is a good sign that you'll be successful. If not with the USFS, than with another agency for sure.

Good luck on your path towards Montana!
>>
>>1432232
Why did you let sasquatch kill those people?
t. Paulides
>>
>>1433182
I'm looking to get a degree in wildlife biology. How hard might it be for me to get a job with the forest service out of college if I do internships while studying?
>>
>>1433889

Forest service is hard just because the jobs are limited. Each district only needs one biologist since their primary job is to make sure forest operations comply with the NEPA decision for the project and the ESA.

Internships help. Another thing you can do is attend job fairs where the USFS has a booth. Alot of times they have a job interest sheet. Filling it out gets your resume bumped up on the list to look at.

Join the Wildlife Society if you can. It's a professional organization for biologists. Looks good on a resume, can help you find a mentor and hook you up with jobs if the Forest Service doesn't work out.
>>
>>1433799
Then why do they bend over backwards to hire me again? They bumped up my pay a grade, and gave me a nicer place to live. They also keep giving me STAR awards every season and the Deputy Superintendent has told me "I saved their asses" a few times and said that he would give me a reference. So you can see where I'm confused.
>>
Do y'all take credit for bankrupting PGE because you spent your budget on global warming conferences instead of raking the forest?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01-14/pge-shares-crash-30-ceo-quits-utility-prepares-bankruptcy-filing
>>
>>1432463
>>1432659

oh look, city dwelling liberals who dont understand that literally 90% of the nations fire departments are volunteer, most radio communications in emergency situations are run by volunteers, and there are countless situations and agencies that field volunteers for literally everything everyday

get fucked godless commies
>>
>>1433370
Word of mouth generally is how this type of information gets around; they have no need nor any desire to spread this information of their own volition. Just gets a lot of bad heat from pissed off people because it isn't better.
>>
>>1433157
the companies those contractors work for are required to have a certain amount on money (depending on the size of the contract) to cover their payroll.

further, most federal contractors (the companies) get paid quarterly and should already have recieved payment for last quarter and arent due for this quarter for a few months
>>
>>1432232
You wouldn’t have heard anything about the changes to the Migratory Birds Treaty Act that Zinke dicked up would you? Last I heard is biologists were appealing it in a letter to the Interior.
>>
>>1434306
You had an opportunity to say "ducked up", you quack.
>>
>>1433198
>make millions

right up until you get a cure notice because some fed accussed you of stealing their watch while cleaning their office and you get the boot and they throw the contract to one of their friends
>>
>>1434317
>>
>>1432272
Cali burned down already nigger, what was your excuse then? Kys. Tired as fuck of you shitbag badges pretending you do us a great service when you exist to uphold the corporate status quo and get a check. Fuck off.
>>
>>1434321
I have insurance that covers theft or lawsuits or failure to do the job.
>>
>>1434343

Keep your autism on the containment board, /pol/ack.
>>
>>1434285
I was on a forest service engine at a remote duty station and the nearest volunteer fire department sent an engine over to help cover the station during a big lightning bust. They were significantly more professional and harder-working than we were; it made me realize that our own station had a pretty serious leadership problem.

This is probably not representative, but it sure made an impression at the time.
>>
>>1433979
Nope. I credit the environmentalists that kill any and all roadwork improvements and infrastructure expansions through endless litigation.

funfact, the majority of the PG&E grid was only built to be designed around 50 thousand volts as it's upper operational limit. Because it's effectively impossible to expand the transmission corridors in california, and ever expanding demand, PG&E has had to push their infrastructure past its intended operational limits when it comes to voltage up to the 100 to 150 thousand volt range. That's why during high wind events it's now far more likely for there to be major arcing between transmission lines now compared to even just a decade ago.

That said any new infrastructure is designed around the new upper limit and has larger airgaps between transmission lines.
>>
>>1433979
Also the majority of the USFS budget now goes into fighting wildfires instead of other projects and TSI now.
>>
>>1434306
No idea, I'm not on the mailing list that the biologists are on (though for some reason I get all the emails that supervisor level positions get when it comes to how to onboard seasonals)
>>
>>1433858
>Officer

Asking for directions since he has no clue where he is going....

Really makes you think.
>>
>>1434343
Yeah and that happened in November when fed firefighters had already been laid off.
>>
>>1434420
Everyone gets those, it's annoying.
>>
>>1432330
This story sucks.

0/10

Would not read again.
>>
>>1434418
Not any more, usfs can no longer touch rec money as of this year.

Why all the hate? I guess from one or two contractors, no idea why i give a fuck about your opinion though. Sure the pay isn't the best but I still sit pretty after a few fire assignments and the normal work ain't bad either.

Also have never heard anything but forest circus before in my life, where'd you get that idea.

t. Parkie
>>
>>1434303
Yes, the company is doing just fine.

but you're crazy if you think I'm going to pay my employees and subs to do nothing during a shutdown if I don't have to. And we both know I don't have to.
>>
>>1434285
If you knew even a little bit about food quality and safety, for example mycotoxins, you'd realize the importance of not relying totally on a self-regulating industry or volunteers.
>>
>>1434285
>touts the benefits of volunteers running the country
>calls others commies
>>
>>1434343
Um sweatie this is a liberal statist board, go back to 4chan if you don't like it
>>
>>1434285
>>1434890
Oh look, another brainwashed backwoods Fox-watching hick from /pol/ who doesn't even know what "liberal" actually means.

Also this: >>1434656
>>
>>1432411
>another /k/ fag just looking for excuses to shoot people
>>
>>1432330
>>1434628
I liked it :)
>>
>>1432685
>human nature
Not to get all /pol/ all of a sudden, but does it have to do with the rise of nonwhite people coming to National Parks? My mom's Mexican, and she said that in Mexico people didn't give a care at all and just threw trash wherever. I myself have seen a good bit of Spanish-language wrappers in Sequoia National Park.
>>
>>1434656
commie who doesnt understand the difference between volunteer and voluntold

>>1434897

did i touch a nerve, ladies?
>>
>>1434988
sort of. I work areas that are heavily used by foreign tourists and immigrants and I also work areas that are remote and almost never see an outsider. Both get trashed, just in different ways.

Mexicans don't usually put used toilet paper in the toilet, they wipe their ass and then throw it on the floor or in the trash. This is because in Mexico their TP clogs up their septic systems so they're not used to flushing it.

but I'd say it's wrong to just blame Mexicans or Indians or whoever solely for the trash that gets dumped in and around outhouses. DESU the worst offenders are through hikers that dump off large bags of trash accumulated after weeks on the trail. For the most part they're young and white.
>>
I'm told that the age limit for many of these sorts of jobs is because they want to hire you young enough to be able to get the full 20 years out of you before you're supposed to retire, and that there are exceptions if you already have federal job time that could carry over. Would military service count for this i.e. if I'm 40 with 15 years served in the military can I get a job which has an age limit of 36?
>>
>>1435311
if you're veteran-preference eligible, yeah, for sure

if not, I'm not sure
>>
File: 1546747187898.jpg (171 KB, 1000x1000)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
tfw no offers from shot crews
tfw probably not in good enough shape anyway (though I might be by start date)
>>
Do youse forest service folks view youself as public servants or tax harvesters?
>>
>>1435728
Personally, I see myself as a civil servant. My job is to as best I can within the laws and restrictions that I'm bound by, take care of the lands that are held in trust by the federal government for the use of every US citizen.
>>
Any idea how to jump from a State to Federal position? I'm currently with the Alabama Department of Natural Resources and Conservation.
>>
>>1435728

My position is funded through timber sale revenue, not taxes so....
>>
>>1435728
both
>>
>>1435799
so you're a logger by trade?
>>
>>1436637

Timber cruiser. I put up sale boundaries and measure trees to determine volume and value prior to the loggers coming in. Along with some mapping and silv stuff. Basically I do the pre-work that makes it so the loggers know how much wood there is to be harvested and where they're taking it from.

The forest service has different revenue streams and different sub-budgets under its main budget. My position is funded through the sale of timber on my forest. If there's no timber being sold, I don't work.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (170 KB, 1240x927)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>1432265
Dealing with the government employees was the worst and most frustrating thing about fighting fire. The poor guys were just too out of their element, can't really blame them but they'd act like the wildfire slept at night and took weekends. Incredibly slow to act and they didn't know what they were doing when they did. I think the provincial firefighters were actually the worst. Real stuck-up attitudes on most of them. I watch the government crew stop and send home one logging outfit because they didn't have the permits or paperwork (S100) to fight fire and it's not like we had a lot of people to tackle a fire that burnt 86,000 hectares. However that's government. All the foresters working for the mill ended up being great!

tl;dr don't be a bullheaded arrogant fool
>>
>>1436810
Which state/province do you work in? In BC the block layouts guys are usually colleges kids with a forester or two out with them and it's the lowest paying position in that wood's trip to the mill and through. Which is ridiculous considering you guys estimate the volume of wood that'll come from a block which how the mill (or who ever owns that block) "hand" it to contractors.
Do you guys actually measure every tree, even the non-merch little guys, in blocks?
>>
>>1437374

Oregon. Pay is like 16/hr at gs-5, which is low considering I help with logging systems analysis, road layout, stand marking, mapping and stand exams. Low wages are a problem in the forestry industry all over. Even loggers around here only make $20-25 an hour, which isn't much considering people die all the time doing that work.

We measure everything in plots. Without going into the math/statistics of it the basic idea is volume on the plot and size of the plot are compared to the size of the stand and then volume is interpreted from that. We do enough plots to get our confidence interval and error acceptably low.

100% cruises (3p or str) are only used for areas to small to have plots be accurate or in areas where plots wouldn't capture the volume correctly (like inside a road prism).
>>
>>1437410
I don't know if you'd know but I assume doing block layout over there would be more or less the same as up here? S1 to S6?
>>
>>1435728
Usually a civil servant because I ain't getting paid shit, right now? I've got the rare winter contracting position that's funded and I'm working from home editing and creating different documents. It's piss easy, so I feel like I'm draining the system a bit, especially when everyone I know is furloughed.
>>
>>1437410
Have you got any of your maps laying around? Really curious about how you guys plan it all out. I assume most of you guys aren't equipment operators but you wouldn't believe how many times something, due to layout, was just barely doable or worked out perfect!
>>
>>1437428

Don't want to dox myself by posting a map of a sale I've worked on. But if you Google the name of a national forest plus "timber sale maps" you might find some stuff. It'll be contract maps, not the layout or logging systems though.

For cable ground we go off of the maximum yarding distance of common equipment in the area, availability of jack trees and anchors around and in the unit, where they can get full suspension doing stream crossings, ect. It's all computer modeled, so sometimes it isn't true to life. Loggers are fucking crafty though, so when in doubt we include a patch of timber and they always find a way to harvest it.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (266 KB, 1646x923)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
>>1437440
Must be some wild ground out there, right in the mountains? None of the contractors up here use or currently have a yarder; we're able to get away with skidders and the rare hoe-chucking a mean spot.

here's a map from a recent little block if you're curious, front & back: https://imgur.com/a/fDXXHvS
>>
>>1432232
Whats it like making a shitload more money than most Americans, then having the gall to go on food lines and accept kickstarter money to help you poor feds feed yourselves? Also what pocket knife do you carry?
>>
>>1437810
>Shitload more
As a fed doing seasonal work last year I probably made around 30k. How's that alot for someone with a bachelor's degree?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.