[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Backpack thread. What is the best pack size for weekend backpacking? What is your go to pack size? What pack size is your favorite? Do you have multiple packs or just one general use pack? What pack do you have?
>>
>light day
rei flash 18
>heavy day
osprey manta 28
>light multiday
osprey exos 48
>heavy multiday
gregory baltoro 75
plus a beater crag pack, a kid carrier, my wife's 3 packs, and my kid's pack. one of these days i'll take a labeled pic instead of typing this shit out every time.
>>
>>1416490
I just got a 30 like pic related for overnights but I think I need to get a bigger pack
>>
>>1416490
Where do you store all this shit?
>>
>>1416514
it's nice having the right tool for the right job, like shoes. and packs you can find used in great shape, or get on clearance at the end of the year. the only 2 we paid retail for were my manta and my wife's deuter actlite 45. rest were on deep sale or craigalists.
>>1416518
mostly in a big cupboard with all our climbing gear and the rest of our backpacking gear, with a couple of the bigger packs in a closet.
>>
>>1416524
Well that's not bad then
>>
>>1416524
Yeah I was hoping for a one size fits all type of thing but I guess not.
>>
Goruck GR1
>>
>>1416565
>21L daypack
>$400
but why
>>
I usually do 2 days and carry a 70+10 Vango Sherpa. It's a piece of shit but I like it.
>>
File: sherpdiederp.jpg (70 KB, 900x900)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>1416576
pic related
>>
File: IMG_20181216_122338.jpg (3.65 MB, 4032x3024)
3.65 MB
3.65 MB JPG
>>1416454
M 39 ruck is basically the max size you should need for a pack in general it's about 35L and there are plenty of modern opetions for lighter weight stuff that will work for you. But 35-40 L is what you should be looking for
>>
>>1416576
>70
Jesus that's huge
>>1416580
35l wouldn't be bad but with that heavy shit of yours I can't imagine would even do well in a 35 l pack. You'll wear out your body
>>
>>1416580
>ruck
if you want to play army join the army. if you want to backpack buy a backpack.
also
>35l
>all that shit
have fun having to strap 75% of your crap to the outside of your pack instead of just carry it inside, like a backpack is designed to do.
>>
>>1416602
Hey man can I do overnights with a 30l pack or is that gonna be to small? I have the pack in OPs pic
>>
>>1416588
Lol yeah that I would expect if I had to carry everything in that pic that was just a pic of everything I own not everything I carry >>1416602
And I mentioned that there are lighter weight options out there that are more modern and if you have Daddy's credit card I'm Shure you can afford some like you say you do... All I said was you can find surplus for cheap. That works just as marginally well.
>>
>>1416616
It depends on what you carry as gear, food, and water. I can take a week's worth of stuff in my 36L, however I do have very ultralight gear, so I can manage with smaller volumes. If you have bulkier gear or like to carry more stuff, you might need more space in the pack.
>>
File: 845.jpg (22 KB, 260x260)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>1416454
Kelty Coyote 80 (the older version)
I pack everything "loose" to soak up all the space.
>>
Osprey exos 58 master race checking in.
>>
File: question.jpg (7 KB, 250x246)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>1416454
>buy berghaus 65L bag
>become concerned because I NEVER see ANY berghaus on the trails or in yosemite or anwyhere else
>all I see is osprey/kelty/northface/REI

did I fuck up? are berghaus still good gear? whats out approved here?
>>
>>1416724
Damn, what tent do you have? That's pretty impressive
>>
>>1416730
I miss the older keltys. I like a wider pack and the modern stuff is so freaking narrow....
>>
>>1416490
>>1416735
>>1416524
>oscucks

lol
>>
>>1417064
Dude lmao let's derail another thread because you cant get over the fact that a pack that isnt some fucking surplus actual trash works for people
>>
Best way to get a sense for gear volume and weight to help choose a pack?
>>
>>1416710
lol. look at this sorry bitch and his weakass damage control
>d-daddy's money is why i have inferior gear
no, faggot, it's not. it's because you like to play soldier. your kit makes that abundantly clear. so quit being a coward and just own it.
>>
>>1417078
weight's easy: you weigh it. volume's trickier, but if you're inexperienced enough to not know how big you need you probably don't have top tier small/light/compressible gear, so you'll probably looking at 50-65l, depending on things like climate, needing a bear can, days of food you want to carry, etc.
>>
>>1417102
>How Daddy's boy copes
>Getting abhorrently pissed off at people for no apparent reason
>>
>>1416490
how tough are osprey packs? will they disintegrate if I regularly use them to sit on or have to throw them over streams/fences
>>
>>1417204
Probably rip or tear but may hold up for a cupple trips
>>
>>1416454
I use a 35L bag for everything. That 35L includes the three external pockets. I think the main body is ~25L
>>
>>1417204
i have 3 osprey packs (manta 28, exos 48, poco plus) that i have been overloading, throwing on the ground, bushwhacking with, peakbagging in, rockclimbing in, and sitting on for years, and they eat everything i throw at them without a scratch.
>>
>>1416454
exo mountain gear 3500 for a week or so
surplus bw rucksack for a day or two
i'm just a year into /out/ so i don't have any steady preference yet
>>
>>1417201
>don't have an argument
>better double down on the ad hominem!
namefags are pathetic. go back to /k/.
>>
>new pack shows up on Amazon
>derivative of the 5.11 Rapid Origin using parts from the 5.11 Rush 12 knock-off
>$30
>lists itself as 600D ballistic nylon
>call them out
>they change the listing to say it's made of 600D ballistic polyester
>they raise the price to $60
>>
>>1417268
link?
>>
>>1417283
It's a shame they're being shystery, as it doesn't look terrible.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J1ZJSYQ
>>
File: 1543914053583.jpg (118 KB, 1500x1500)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>1416454
>>1416577
Whats the apeal besides of muh ultralight with these type of packs?
I mean no outer pouches (that are big enough and on the OUTside), this shitty flap in the front for a helmet (?) and they look like they would rip when hit by a branch.

pic related another shit pack
>>
>>1417211
How ultra light is your gear??
>>
>>1417308
Smaller for single overnights and day hiking. The outer pockets are stretch fabric for bottles and small shit. I got one thinking it was a 40l but I dont mind it now.
>>
>>1417320
Entirely.
>>
>>1417308
comfort: better shoulder/waist straps and better load distribution. what do you need a bunch of external pockets for anyways? 1 or 2 for snacks and maybe an easily accessible warm layer is all i ever want. and the material's excellent. i thrash the shit out of my packs bushwhacking through the sierra and haven't ever so much as suffered a snag.
>>
>>1416602
Don't hate on his choice of gear. The aesthetic looks way better imo. Army doesn't use that ruck anymore anyway.
>>
>>1416454
I actually own this Gregory pack, I use it for multi-day trips about 5 times a year and I love it. I use the same regular old backpack (Mountain Hardware) for day trips, overnighters and school.
>>
>>1417324
Damn, I'm trying to get to that point but I have awhile.
>>
>>1417339
What tent do you use, OP here and I have the pack too but I'm trying to figure out if I need a larger one.
>>
>>1417336
aesthetics are irrelevant. it's an objectively inferior choice for backpacking.
>>
>>1416724
lighterpack?
>>
>>1417359
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
>>
>>1417364
no, then it would be SUBJECTIVELY a worse pack. but it's OBJECTIVELY worse, and anyone who disagrees cares more about playing dress-up than being able to carry a load more comfortably and easily.
>>
>>1417368
If it satisfied his needs, gets the job done, and looks better, then all that extra "better" you're getting isn't doing you any good. It just helps you feel superior to someone. If he hasn't died or been found wanting with his gear, then clearly the "inferior" choice is a good choice. Get your head out of your ass, anon. You're not better than him because muh min/maxing.
>>
>>1417370
good enough=/=as good, you fucking dumbass.
>>
>>1417253
Such an angry soul...
>>
File: 860845048.jpg (62 KB, 420x660)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>1416835
Don't worry buddy, Berghaus is a good brand, and they make good packs. I'm not sure how rigid the construction is, but as long as you treat it well it will last.

I use an Imlay Spry pack because I do a lot of Canyoneering, but I take it mountaineering, or whatever I do outdoors. It's netted me some compliments, probably just because of the color scheme. Never seen another soul with it.
>>
>>1417380
FUCK YOU I'M NOT ANGRY!!!!!!!
>>
>>1416835
Berghaus is 10/10
Love my 45L Centurio
>>
ouch my back
>>
Are Eddie Bauer packs any good? I got one half off but haven't really tried it out
>>
>>1416835
It's just a regional thing. Berghaus is more common in Europe.
>>
>>1417439
Thinking of getting one but the belt looks pretty shit, what’s it like to carry weight long distance?
>>
>>1417308
Climbing packs don't have external water bottle holders because if it slips out mid pitch you'll kill your belayer or dangle off its attachment. Internal storage is superior for technical packs.
>>
>>1417372
In that situation, it is exactly as good though. If that extra "better" isn't being put to use, then it isn't better. Imagine a bottle that can hold 2 liters of water compared to a bottle that can hold 500 mL of water. If your purposes never go beyond holding 500 mL of that, that 1.5 liters of "better" does nothing for you, and that 500 mL capacity bottle is AS GOOD AS the 2 liter bottle. Never will I (nor you) ever only ever have to carry 500 mL of water and declare that a 2 liter bottle is better for carrying it in. Get the fuck out of my face with that shit, guy. The 500 mL bottle is literally as good for carrying 500 mL of water as the 2 liter bottle is. In this exact same situation, the military rucksack is just as good for backpacking under my conditions and needs as a backpack is. Retard.
>>
>>1417745
Better actually because you're not wasting weight and the resulting container is smaller.
>>
>>1417336
The Army literally never used the particular canvas ruck we're all replying to
>>
I've got a 40 liter pack that I use for nearly everything, and then if I need more capacity I've got an 18 liter summit/auxiliary pack that I can strap to it pretty easily for more storage.
>>
>>1417745
>volume is the only factor in choosing a backpack
or, y'know, you could consider things like comfort and flexibility. just an idea. but i guess that would ruin your self image as a badass operator who scares all the normies.
>>
>>1416528
Not the poster you were talking to, but I can confirm; you need several tools for different loadouts.

I've got a 40L pack right now that works for overnight trips, and I can (maybe) push it to a comfortable 2 night stay, or a rough 3 night.

I was actually looking at a Baltoro 75 myself for longer trips, or taking my fiance and 2 dogs for weekend trips. The load is different for that many souls, and for a nice comfortable trip.

I don't mind a nasty, bare-minimum trip, but the lady likes a little more comfort, which means more gear for a shorter trip.
>>
>>1417068
Yeah you're right. Its yuppie bait trash.
>>
>>1417966
Yeah I got a 30l thinking it was a 40 that I'll probably end up using and the getting a 55-75 for bigger trips
>>
>>1417543
My only complaint is (fuck english) that the shoulder things can be pretty hard, and should be softer, but maybe I should just toughen up. The belt I never use because of personal preference. I can walk for hours without backpain.
>>
my trail co ul35
>>
>>1417345
I use the Aries 2 by Alps, it's a nice little tent and works for me. I think it weighs somewhere around 5lbs, not too heavy, not too light. Packs down well enough too. I've been considering getting a 1 person tent, but I think my days of solo trips are over so who knows.
>>
>>1418175
Thanks man that's good to know, I was thinking about picking up a kelty tn2 for it but I was worried about space
>>
>>1418165
I miss golite
>>
any of you lads take DSLRs + lens/2 while you're hiking? I'm in need of a small daypack ~20-25l that either has something at the bottom I can hook a camera bag onto, or storage itself. atm I'm finding absolutely fuck all that isn't some $300+ meme photography bag
>>
>>1419796
I think the exterior bottom of a pack is the last place you’d want a camera; that area gets crushed by your hips when you lose your footing going downhill. I’d reevaluate where you want it. Most hikers with dslr’s I’ve seen have a chest/shoulder strap integration.
>>
>>1416490

>gregory baltoro 75

Excellent choice. Not sure about the ones made in the last few years but every feature of these is amazing. All the pics i'm finding on google seem to be packed by tards, and I'm too lazy to grab a pic of my own.

Not sure about the osprey brand.
>>
>>1419797
good call. thanks I didn't think about that
>>
>>1416835
No anon, if you don’t have the authorised brands on trail your backpack will be confiscated by rangers
>>
tfw this thing is exactly what I'm looking for in terms of size, suspension, features, etc. https://store.kifaru.net/14r-2400ci--393liters-p209.aspx

tfw it's $434
>>
I just got a new big pack for a long trip through South America by motorcycle (and a bunch of hiking thrown in).

Ended up picking the Kajka from Fjallraven. Love it, especially that it has a wood frame.
>>
>>1420674
how much do you get paid to post here? i'm here anyways, i wouldn't mind making a few bucks lying from time to time.
>>
>>1416835
Have an early Berghaus Vulcan and its a beast. Comfy as with 20+ kg and has lasted ages so far no problems. U did good anon
>>
Are 5.11 packs any good?
>>
>>1416454
I actually had the exact pack you posted and I liked it so much I moved up to a 65L. It's great, feels like I'm carrying nothing, I skip along trails and sing to myself while my friends trudge along behind me and hope that a tree branch falls on my head and kills me
>>
>>1420674
Have you ever tried to ride long distance with a backpack before? It sucks and shreds your back. Maybe you've had a very different experience but I would never recommend it to someone.
>>
>>1421564
No
Save your pennies and get something that will function properly for /out/ activities
>>
>>1421670
Alright then. What's the sturdiest pack you can get for the least amount of money that can be used as a general use backpack?
>>
>>1421707
Swiss M90.
>>
File: 1354859786239.jpg (54 KB, 500x375)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>1416454

I'd like to get a new hiking pack that isn't just another piece of milsurp. While it's near indestructible and quite comfy when I've got it all adjusted, my modded ALICE pack is still a bulky motherfucker and my aspirations of getting a CFP-90 in decent condition seem lofty at best.

Would it be a good idea to try trawling the local Craigslist to see if I could score a fancy internal frame pack for cheap from some glamping hipster what couldn't make his chops on the PCT?
>>
>>1421853
no, that's a terrible idea. you have to buy the most expensive pack you can find, at retail. fucking idiot.
>>
>>1421819
I actually have one of these in my sights. Are they good? I'm hearing the straps on them by default are crap.
>>
>>1421935
Nevermind. It was Grade 2.
>>
Got my best friend the Hikelite 26 by Osprey for christmas, for casual hiking and minimalist camping. The reviews seemed pretty okay. Have any of you guys tried this bag ?
>>
File: hikelite.jpg (36 KB, 800x800)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>1422098
Pic related just in case.
>>
File: BIG CHUNGUS.jpg (203 KB, 768x1024)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
>not using an Osprey 90L+10L
Pleb tier. Get your life together, OP.
>>
>>1422099
They're an awesome little day pack. Great for summer hikes where you have to carry a ton of water.
>>
>>1422145
I'm manlet
>>
>tfw fell for the ALICE meme

This thing is heavy as shit lads and I hardly filled it
>>
>>1421906

So yes?
>>
Have the pack in pic related, how do I strap a sleeping pad to it?
>>
>>1422476
i clearly said no, you illiterate fuck. i've definitely never bought any backpacks in great shape for literally hundreds of dollars off retail from craigslist.
>>
>>1422585
To the side if you must. An inflatable would fit inside.

A rule that most figure out in time: when buying gear, buy the backpack last.
>>
>>1422688
Yeah I didn't realize that until much later and cant find the recipt to return. It either
>>
>>1422585
>pic related
>no pic
>>
>>1422731
>pic in OP
Sorry
>>
File: 1388546928127.png (33 KB, 275x304)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>1422301

On the bright side you've got a pack that's stubbornly durable and replacement frames or repair kits for popped rivets are definitely affordable. Look into replacing the stock kidney pad and shoulder straps with those from the more recent MOLLE gear setups--there's installation guides on the Youtube and some websites. Both don't exactly do much toward wegiht reduction but they're a sight more comfortable than the stock webbing. Adding the MOLLE Sleep Carrier System also allows you an easy way to haul a sleeping bag and small tent system, or otherwise expand your carrying capacity--the latter can also be done with either the MOLLE Sustainment Pouches or the ALICE's own buttpack.
>>
God this thread was awful tout read, so much hatred over stupid things.

To answer OP, in my humble opinion, for anything involving sleeping you need a pack that can hold at least 40 to 45l, depending on what you Can spare. Then you can look if you want some nice features like :
- an hydratation system pocket
- nice suspension system
- waterproofing
- dedicated easy to reach pockets
- dedicated straps for mountaineering équipement
- compression system

Sometime a milsurpl pack Can fit your needs but most of the time you Can find something you need in retail.

I myself cant go without an hydratation system and a small front compartiment for the stuff that never leave the pack.
>>
File: IMG_20180113_214209054.jpg (3.25 MB, 4160x3120)
3.25 MB
3.25 MB JPG
Sorry for the mispelling, my french phone autocorrect is a pain in the ass when I write in english.
>>
>>1423082
>sinking more money into a shit pack instead of cutting your losses
great advice. dumbass.
>>
>>1423082
Why would you even want to replace it with the MOLLE straps? The MOLLE ruck is complete garbage. Don't go for the milsurp meme. Except the marine medium ruck, it's actually decent but you'll still look like a retarded larper with a marpat ruck.
>>
Ok guys, this is probably a stupid question (because I know that if I want quality I should pay more) but I'm a complete noob so here I go.
I got for christmas a 50€ gift card and I'd like to use it to buy a good, surable backpack (let's say around 30l, mostly for daypacking maybe a overnight).
What are good options or brands for around that price? (I'd say my max is 70€)
>>
>>1423227
You might want to try smaller for that price but there may be some deals soon, look at marmot, osprey, Gregory and similar packs.
>>
>>1423227
Surplus anything but Alice packs
>>
>>1423227
LK35 and some good straps can be had for well under your budget. Great pack too.
>>
Anyone had any experience with a Karrimor SF Sabre 45? I'm sorely tempted.
>>
I'm looking at the Ferrino Finisterre 38; does someone has direct experience with the brand and/or the model and can tell me how well it does in the field?
>>
i wish pack makers would stop using mesh,that shit is the first thing to go to hell on a pack
>>
>>1416518
>>
>>1419813
>Fucking commys
>>
File: pack-488-010_1.jpg (22 KB, 480x480)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
I'm just starting to get into backpacking and trying to find a decent pack. Does anyone have any experience with the Mil-Tec brand? I found this thing and it doesn't seem too bad. Just curious if I should spend the money on this or go for something a bit pricier.
https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/product/mil-tec-large-laser-cut-assault-pack-od-green-14002701-4046872359026.do?sortby=priceAscend&page=2&refType=&from=fn
>>
>>1424535
for backpacking buy a backpacking pack, not a toy soldier pack.
>>
>>1424538
Well, I mean, that is what it's made for.
>>
>>1424545
no. that's for playing army man. find a pack with better shoulder and waist straps, where the load goes up your back, not away from your back, so it has better capacity and load distribution and is more comfortable.
>>
>>1424549
That's what I'm looking for, thank you. Do you have any suggestions on the cheaper end, or should I just go big?
>>
>>1424554
i started with a cheap high sierra 45l pack. used it for a year to learn what i like and don't like about backpacks, so when i shelled out for a good one i got exactly what i wanted. and starting smallish starts you forming good habits about being selective with what you pack.
>>
>>1424549
I've gotten used to military gear, and I have a strong distaste for the reflective material and bright colors of a lot of commercial gear. Makes me feel uncomfortable and out of place for some reason. However I want the lightness and comfiness of this commercial gear; do you have any recommendations that kind of meets in the middle?
>>
>>1426032
do you mean "reflective" reflective, or "has a slight sheen" reflective? because the first is easily avoidable, and the second in completely non-notable while /out/.

as far as colors, just shop around. my pack is navy, my brother's is black, and there are plenty of others in dark gray or dark green.
>>
>>1426038
I mean the slight sheen, not straight up reflective. Ideally there would be no reflection or sheen. If it's unnoticeable I suppose that's good, it might be best if I went to an outdoors shop and looked around to experience it myself.
>>
File: thinkin.gif (408 KB, 500x373)
408 KB
408 KB GIF
>>1424554
get the amazon basics backpack.
its big enough. its just the rebranded teton thing.

but its solid enough and by the time youve gotten your moneys worth out of it in a few years you will know if you want to invest in a more expensive back.
always buy the basic mid tier beginner stuff.
there is plenty of entry level chink mass produced shit.
then you will know if you want to invest more in the product.
>take me for instance. I now know that a cheap 40$ sleeping bag from big 5 wont keep comfortable enough to sleep when I go out into the mountains for new years and the ground is already frozen hard and the frost appears once the sun goes down inside a box canyon that only has 3 hours of direct sunlight.

lesson learned. spend more money on bag for actual winter.
>>
>>1426230
are all you faggots greentexting wrong on purpose as a meme, or are you just 4channel newfriends who really have no fucking clue what you're doing?
>>
File: mods of kay.png (235 KB, 1567x820)
235 KB
235 KB PNG
>>1426231
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5NCY5K/ref=twister_B077P17P2N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I dont even know what youre talking about
you wanted a
>be me
>decide to go camping for new years despite it being the coldest time of year here
>take shitty sleeping bag
and on and on like that? does not green texting correctly get me banned for a few days like when you criticize jews or talk about how jews run the world through finance and are responsible for all the wars for centuries?
are you gonna report me david goldberg?
>>
Is Savotta worth the price?

Are there any other brands that comparable to it but cheaper?
>>
>>1426243
it's fine if you just want to write a sentence. just don't greentext it. your post will be clearer that way.
>>
aye thinking about a frost river, any idea if its worth?
>>
>>1426243
You got banned for that post?

>The absolute state of 4channel
>>
>>1426317
So did I, many times. This is what happened to 4chan ever since M00t started to date that jewish whore.
Oldest Jewish trick in a book. They even celebrate it with holiday called Hanookah or something.
>>
File: RTC-2250-2.jpg (281 KB, 925x822)
281 KB
281 KB JPG
OK, so I realize theres already been a guy who got berated for considering a military style pack, but I'm thinking of grabbing a pack from a surplus store, cause I used an old ALICE pack when I was part of a cadet unit. I'm wondering if you guys have any stance on ALICE vs MOLLE? I've used both, but the MOLLE is only a small styled backpack and not anything actually military issue. Also have no experience with using a frame on an ALICE pack, so wondering if anyone has experience using that. Thanks
>>
>>1426244
definitely not worth it, unless you're military. and even then MR/Kifaru is better. only reason to buy it is if you like the looks, and that's for you to decide
>>
Wondering if anyone here can help me out. I have a Kelty Redwing 50 the tent I have (grand mesa 2) has an aweful bag it comes with. Was wondering if anyone knew of a pouch I could connect to the lower back Molle on the redwing to store the tent in.
>>
>>1427379
just buy a better stuff sack for your tent.
>>
>>1421572

I strap it to the back of my bike. Riding with this would suck
>>
https://www.kelty.com/redcloud-110/

personally the redcloud 110 has done everything ive ever wanted but im looking to try an external frame
>>
>>1427272
I wouldn't recommend the ALICE. If you got one for free, sure but paying for it no. It can hold a lot of weight but it's super uncomfortable. Army issue MOLLE ruck is also garbage, I hate the frame and I hate having to wear it for work all the time. I think the marines have decent ones but I don't know how easy they are to find as surplus or how much they'd cost.

Big problem with Alice and molle is the frame. If you're getting a backpack with a frame get one that's ergonomically shaped for a human back because those aren't.
>>
>>1420697
How is he lying? He obviously woundln't have worn the pack while riding.
>>
>>1416565
I make their weight plates for their packs
>>
>>1427272
alice frame and packs, molle belt and shoulder straps is a great pack
>>
>>1423113
Dat bottle of lotion
>>
What's a good poor man's backpack?
>>
>>1427655
So if the frame was one of the molding ones would you say its a bit closer to >>1427841
?
>>
>>1427900
No I completely disagree with the idea of wasting money to upgrade a bad frame with slightly less shitty but still shitty components. The ALICE frame sucks. If larpers want to tell you they've figured out how to make it suck less then yeah, it'll suck less but it'll still suck.

I promise you that you'll find a better civilian pack for the same money.
>>
/jp/ here. Any thoughts on Montbell?
>>
>>1417842
This guy knows what it's all about. I usually pack for two times the hours I'll be out. Got myself a good 40L pack, and two 6L packs I might strap on the side for any more than four days out. I am sort of new and half my stuff is never used, but I always figure better safe than sorry.

That being said, small packs strapped on is the way to go. Easier to manage, you know where things are, easier to reach, one of your packs rips the others are fine, the list goes on.
>>
>>1427908
cool. thanks
>>
File: 91557T+XrEL._SL1500_.jpg (225 KB, 1431x1500)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
Just ordered one of these as a day light pack.

It still baffles me that there are no helmet loop's for cyclist's on this but whatever.
>>
>>1416454
>Backpack thread.
Ooh, a war is brewing.
>What is the best pack size for weekend backpacking?
The smallest bag that holds the least amount of shit you feel comfortable with.
>What is your go to pack size?
>What pack size is your favorite?
>Do you have multiple packs or just one general use pack?
>What pack do you have?
I have a custom bag, it's basically a dromedary / med kit / survival essentials / rations mini bag that's about 2L water & 2L gear. I don't step away from camp without this. One of two larger gear bags clip to the outside of this, depending on whether it's a week trip (~15L clip on) or month trip (~30L clip on), this holds camp / comfort gear / extra food.

>>1416616
Depends on your experience level and tolerance for improvising. With enough of both of those, you could spends years out there with just a good knife and the clothes on your back.
>>
>>1418092
Hey, same anon you posted to. It's me again.

So, I changed my mind on a new bag; and I went with a Kelty external frame, since the new Baltoros seem to piss people off, due to some design changes.

My new Kelty is somewhere in the ballpark of 90L, and I certainly didn't pack it to the brim, since we were only doing an overnight trip; but I did over-pack to get some training for longer trips. The lesson learned is to take a HARD look at your equipment, and see where you can strip down, depending on your trip.

Many of my trips before were by myself, and short runs; this one was my fiance's first, and she expected a higher level of comfort than I do. Comfort is HEAVY, and you have to expect that if you take someone with you. I also have very poor circulation in my fingers and toes, and need a much better sleeping system than most labels will claim (I'm not proud of it, but I'll deal with it).

Keep all of this in mind as you shop for gear. Not saying I'm an expert; this is just what I've learned.
>>
File: frosty pack.jpg (324 KB, 789x683)
324 KB
324 KB JPG
>>1429191
>the new Baltoros seem to piss people off, due to some design changes
why the fuck do companies insist on fucking with things that are perfect? i love my baltoro. but osprey did the same thing with the exos. they stripped off all the belt and shoulder pockets for the new generation, so i went to craigslist and bought a used one for half price, and they didn't get any of my money.
>>
So does any bag do or should I buy one for full day hikes?
>>
>>1429237
any bag can do, but you'll be more comfortable with a bag that's designed to carry the load you'll be carrying.
>>
>>1429252
I might invest in one when I start doing longer hikes.
>>
>>1417204
I used an osprey xenith 105 for guiding 2 weeks a month for 2 years plus some personal trips in between for a total of probably 55 or so weeks on the pack. Only thing that went wrong on it was one blown out zipper on a front pouch. Which was repaired no questions asked by osprey as per their warranty (they just gave me a brand new updated pack)
I fully support osprey and love their packs.

I still use my xenith 105 for pretty much any trip longer than 2 or 3 days. Other than that I just have an old mec collapsible pack for day hikes etc.
>>
>>1429303
Also their has been a ton of shitting on milsurp or "tactical" packs but really the best pack you can get is the one that is going to get you outside. if that's a big heavy canvas milsurp ruck or a black tactical MOLLE pack or an ultralight technical backpacking pack it doesn't matter as long as it's going to further your desire to get outside. The more you use the pack the more you find out what features are important to you in a pack. Hydration sleeves, removable daylid, side access or top load etc.

That being said I would recommend at the very least something with a decent hipbelt and ok shoulder straps. For weekend overnight trips 40 to 50L is plenty even if you pack fairly heavy.
>>
File: 91d2nGxDkVL._SL1500_.jpg (319 KB, 1179x1500)
319 KB
319 KB JPG
Considering buying the "Venture Pal Lightweight Packable Durable Travel Hiking Backpack Daypack"
Anyone used it before? I wanted it for some multi-day hiking/camping trips
>>
>>1429197
I think the main aim for big companies is in ultra-lightweight gear, rather than comfort. I've used a 40° sleeping bag a few times now, since it packs so small and is very light, but I've frozen my ass out every time since I run cold at my fingers and toes. I'm more than willing to carry heavier, but better equipment. That's why I switched over to an external frame pack.

However, I still would love a 65-85L Baltoro from earlier, if anyone is selling. The external is great for backpacking with my fiance and dogs, but I'd like an internal frame for camping solo.
>>
>>1427272

ALICE is indestructible but heavy, MOLLE is comfy but the frames are trash. Hauling the ALICE with the stock kidney pad and straps is comfortable enough for light hikes but for longer stuff hella uncomfortable. I come out more on the ALICE side of things simply because its accessories are more freely available and a lot of MOLLE stuff is compatible with the ALICE system.

Attaching the ALICE pack to the frame is easy enough--the pack as a whole slips over the top of the frame with the use of a sturdy nylon sleeve, then is attached to the bottom of the frame via two "stabilizer straps" that loop through a pair of holes at the bottom of the frame. What >>1427841 said is right--the MOLE shoulder straps and kidney pad go a sight farther in the comfort department than the old stuff.

At the end of the day, though, the ALICE is super unwieldy and already quite heavy on its own before you start loading it up. Don't forget--this is still forty-something year old tech that, while it still is usable today, isn't exactly the right choice anymore. Load bearing tech has gotten miles better than it has since the days of disco, and the only reason you use an ALICE pack in today's age is either you're a larper, an enthusiast, or an idiot, and I can due well admit that I'm a bit of two of three of those which is why I use one in the face of fancier internal frames from REI or old externals by Jansport or Kelty.
>>
I have a 3l bladder that I use on short day hikes but I want to go deeper and need to carry more things. Currently my backpack has 1 small pouch and the 3l water
What's a good backpack that supports my 3l bladder that won't break my bank?

I'm not looking for an overnight backpack, I already have one
>>
Planning a winter AT month-long hike, is a 60L bag too small for all the clothes and food needed?
>>
File: Chappe_semaphore.jpg (434 KB, 770x1046)
434 KB
434 KB JPG
>>1417102

You drive a Subaru, don't you?
>>
>>1430114
Depends on the other gear you have

If you're packing ultralight/ultra compressible stuff you can get away with even a 45L bag
>>
>>1429811
drash/10
>>
>>1430114
Depends on gear. People have hiked on the AT in winter with much smaller packs. Get all your kit and measure it's volume, it's not hard to do.
>>
>>1427910
They make some great clothing. Their wind jackets have been the gold standard for a long time. I wanted to get their versalite for an up coming trip but it's sold out in the size I want. I don't know anything about their packs though. Going by the quality of the clothing they will be well made.
>>
>>1430213
>>1430225
thanks lads
>>
File: Capture.jpg (9 KB, 231x269)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
These ones with the detachable pack any good? Just has to last me till I get a van.
>>
>>1416454
Are you ready for the future?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqzbU6OTVUg
>>
>>1430276
next time i'm planning on doing jumping jacks in a fully loaded multiday pack i'll consider it. in the meantime static load>>>dynamic load for general use.
>>
>>1418319
Me too man, but mytrailco is basically the same company I guess.
My old pinnacle has been through alot.
>>
just got a camelbak motherlode in great shape with water pack at goodwill for $10. Can't beat the price but wondering if anyone had experience with camelbak backpacks
>>
>>1430540
none with the camping or Mil Speck ones but i've had multiple mountain bike packs (a MULE and now a KUDU) and the are both of the highest quality. it replaced a defective Osprey pack and i count myself lucky. It's so much better.
>>
File: 111283.jpg (29 KB, 278x440)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>1416454
Got an osprey aether 70. great for weekend or week long trips, detachable daypack is really nice so you can pack in normally and set up camp then hike trails out from there without carrying more weight. It fold up to be a top compartment and pack seals without it
>>
>>1424535
have had one for a few years, 30L medium assault pack if remember correctly. Works well and durable but the belt bucle and side buckle both broke after about 2 years of light to moderate use.
>>
>>1431161
>>1424535
my bad, it's a Condor, disregard my comment
>>
File: IMGP0777.jpg (1.2 MB, 4928x3264)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
Posting my autistic tacticool bag
(I love it though its great)
>>
File: 20190110_083702.jpg (4.19 MB, 4032x3024)
4.19 MB
4.19 MB JPG
Here's my bag lineup, I'm a bit stingy on my /out/ gear, seeing as I don't spend as much time /out/ as I'd like. Actually some of these wouldn't be bad for newfags to /out/.

>Camelbak Lobo
Got as a gift from my brother, the same company that owns Camelbak owns the place he works, so he winds up with crazy discounts on their gear. It's nice for day hikes, seeing as I have a 2L bladder and can shove some snacks or clothes in there if I want.
>Camel Outdoor 35L
Was looking for a smaller pack for day (maybe single overnight) hiking, got it off Amazon for I think 35USD.
>AmazonBasics 65L
I got the 65L one for 3+ day hikes and when I go canoeing. Pretty good considering I think I got it on sale for around 40USD with shipping. Normally sells around 54+shipping. I would completely and totally recommend this if you're looking for a starter bag.
>>
berghaus crusader
its Awesome, its my military issued backpack, but i use it in my out of service hiking
>>
>>1431389
So you stole it, limey?
I heard good things about it & was considering, but it lacks side pockets on the bottom for putting bottles or long objects, which sucks for me because I have a long tent bag.
>>
>>1431443
no i didnt stole it, we keep our gear at home.
I can use it as i want as long i dont lose it
>>
>>1431443
put it on top of bag
this backpack is great, very good straps and belts
>>
File: 137689211633.jpg (290 KB, 566x800)
290 KB
290 KB JPG
mil packs suck. we civilians have more cash so we always get the better stuff. also when we die in the field no one will care about the gear.
>>
>>1431548
>Buying things designed to be used 5 times a year

Genuinely would fight you in real life in an attempt to quench the existential crisis you would undoubetly cause me from your complete lack of thought
>>
whats a good quality canvas bag for (at max) 1-2 day trips something like pic related but not pic related because i heard they went down in quality (not sure if true)
>>
>>1431674
Why canvas?
>>
>>1431679
because he's an ass who wants to pretend like he's old timey and he doesn't realize (or want to admit) how superior modern materials are.
>>
>>1431681
i know they are better. i just like the look.
>>
>>1431674
Swiss m39
Swedish lk35
Swiss salt and pepper

All have a solid 10/10 imo if you can fine em when they are not destroyed

T. Owner of modern bags and all of the above
>>
>>1416862
MLD Duomid with optional S2S bug net when pressure is high
>>
>>1417362
https://lighterpack.com/r/90u94q
>>
>>1431775
Ordered my duomid about 6 weeks ago, hyp to get it
>>
>>1431345
Does anyone make a modern bag based on the transforming British patrol pack?
>>
>>1431861
https://karrimorsf.com/shop/predator-patrol-45/
This is what first comes to mind
>>
File: 3779c.jpg (113 KB, 660x800)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>1431864
This is the one I meant. They are available as surplus, but because of the way they handled waterproofing it basically means the interior is usually falling apart on them. Cheap plastic coating cracking and peeling.
>>
File: $_57.jpg (87 KB, 1024x768)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>1431868
>>
>>1431868
Oh right
Haven't seen anything like that but couldn't you just grab one of those for dirt cheap and peel all that crap off and just use a pack liner to keep the waterproof properties? That's what I'd do
>>
>>1431674
i've got the older version with leather on the bottom. the durability is really good, looks prestine after 3 years of use.
however its not really comfortable to carry
>>
>>1416835
I am a german paratrooper and we get issued Berghaus Cyclops II backpacks.
They are great, they distribute the load well and are absolutely indestructable.
I've marched hundreds of kilometers with them and did a lot of jumps and drops with them as well.
10/10 pack.
>>
>>1416835
99% of people just buy shit from REI, don't know what they want, only go outside once a year, do poor consumer research, etc, etc, etc
>>
>>1431783
Full comfort!
>>1431839
What material?
>>
>>1431389
I bought the centurio, should've gone with the crusader because I need more space.
>>
>>1431874
>however its not really comfortable to carry
lol. aestheticsfags btfo
>>
I've been using a kelty redcloud 110L since I was 12 years old

24 now and still have no reason at all to find a different model pack

I live semi-innawoods and use it daily for anything not just hiking and camping and hunting
>>
>>1431938
Thanks. After I deprogramed the boy scout be prepared from my brain, I could then pack about 10# base weight, hike easier, and still be comfortable. The plus is living in the South, so no need for extra layers in "winter"
>>
>>1431387
>Camelbak Lobo

Tell me about it.
Im in the market for a 10 to 18 L day pack and the CamelBak range looks neat (and is on sale ATM) .

How often and for what do you use it?
How is the contraction?
how has it weathered ?
the shoulder straps look dinky are they a problem?
>>
File: out.jpg (685 KB, 4592x3056)
685 KB
685 KB JPG
>>1431551
we civilians always win. we have the better materials and the better research &. development. we also have infinite funds.
>>
File: 1487788997933.jpg (116 KB, 400x800)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>1431986
>Camelbak Lobo
>9L pack on ""sale"" for $60
>>
>>1431993
There's a store here offering a last gen MULE for 50.
Looking around that seems like a good deal.
>>
>>1431993

And there is also this >>1429045 for 40
>>
>>1431997
that's a lot better than the normal $100 price. check out the rei flash 18's are $24 in certain colors right now. double the space but you'll need your own bladder if using one.
https://www.rei.com/product/102039/rei-co-op-special-edition-flash-18-pack
>>
I got an internal frame pack for Christmas, but its got a removable backboard that has two pockets with aluminum stays. It sits in a pocket, kinda like the ones on Bundeswehr packs for holding the sleeping mat. Seems snug enough, but I thought the point of a pack frame was that it was attached to the belt directly. Is this type of system less effective at distributing weight than a normal internal frame pack, and if so, how much worse? I've only used external frames before so this is all new to me.
>>
>>1432002
23 is tempting but i's gonna have to bubble as a MTB back and i live in a super hot climate where it sometimes gets up into 90. an unventilated back would kill me.
>>
>>1432014
Post pics.
>>
>>1432038

yeah, regular mesh is of limited use.
I've got to play around with some Osprey MTB packs, the ones with the honeycombed pattern back-plates, and those did a reasonable job.

but in general the only proper ventilation i've ever seen (for 85-95 ish) is the type that separates the back with a net membrane. and that only works for light weight and doesn't survive MTB or heavy use conditions.
>>
File: IMG-20190111-WA0006.jpg (180 KB, 901x1600)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>1432052
>>
File: IMG-20190111-WA0007.jpg (233 KB, 901x1600)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
>>1432056
>>
>>1432059
That looks like the frame of a more light weight pack. It will still do the job of transferring weight to the hips, but because of its removable nature, you will have more of the weight on your shoulders.

But this is also a plus in a way. The metal stays can be custom bent to your back. They can be removed if you don't really need that much support. And the whole frame can be removed for weight savings.

With any pack, it's better to actually walk around with it on and pack it with what you carry, then decide if it's for you. Don't let internet shills tell you what works or doesn't work. Hike your own hike
>>
>>1431989
You're just a pussy with a mom that needs raping
>>
>>1431959
Nice!
I hover around 6.5lb for three season. It's a dream. Tiny, light pack. Hiking has never been so pleasurable.
>>
Every day I wake up and I'm glad that I'm a full sized adult male and therefore carrying anything less than 80lbs for an entire day is not even noticable.

I couldn't imagine going on multi-week long hiking/hunting trips and having to worry about weight. Thank GOD I'm not 5'2 and 95lbs like I assume all of you are, as I see no other justification for this conversation to exist.
>>
>>1432110
your fupa that you carry from the couch to the fridge to the toilet and back the the couch half a dozen times a day doesn't count
>>
>>1432110
post your route plans with distance/time
>>
>>1432143
>Route plans

Oh my God you have to plan your routes first too? Holy shit I am glad that I'm a grown ass man.
>>
>>1431389
lol a giant sleeping pad,i think less of people that use pussy pads
>>
>>1432110
It doesn't really matter how capable you're, adding useless weight is just plain stupid, you could go faster and further if your pack less weight on your back, stop being retarded.

>fucking sprinters and long distance runners not having a 100lbs backpack on them to show people on a bolivian stone carving forum how great they are
>>
>>1432177
This is exactly what a miniature person would think
>>
>>1431389
what is that backpack set packed for? Your gear is supposed to go inside anon. And what are you doing with all those steel carabiners?

>>1432172
fortunately nobody cares what you think.
>>
>>1432179
>t. miniature brain
Ehh keep rocking those 100lbs packs and watch as some old fag passes flying by you on trail.
>>
>>1432152
you clearly don’t know what you’re talking about
>>
>>1432187
LMAO.
>>1432181
Again, LMAO.

You're both just weak, small, and incompetent.
>>
>>1432189
timestamp of your body and backpack
>>
File: 1546099329281.jpg (88 KB, 649x886)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>1432190
Me winning tour de France while having a smoke
>>
>>1432190
He will not deliver because he's a troll from /k/ that packs full battle kit for a 2 mile hike. If he hiked long distances he would talk a different game.
>>
>>1432196
i know. but i just want him to shut the fuck up, because anyone who knows anything knows he's talking out his ass, but i don't want any newbs to fall for his bullshit.
>>
>>1432196
>>1432199
Lol I don't go to /k/ there's no reason to do so

Not only I have never had any issue carrying weight but none of my real life friends either. We've been doing outdoors shit our wholes lives and had no idea this was even a talking point until we saw this shithole.

You're a fucking pussy and the literal majority of normal sized men have no issue with this shit.
>>
I will hike 50 miles with 80lbs faster than ANY of you can do 50 miles with no gear. At this point I'm so astonished by your frail sensibilities that I'd bet my truck on it.
>>
>>1432200
>>1432202
timestamp with body and backpack
>>
>>1432209
Didn't your parents teach you how to walk

Fucking pussy lmao
>>
>>1432216
timestamped pic of body and pack
>>
File: 1547162605056.jpg (57 KB, 798x658)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>1432218
Grow a pair and realize how much the rest of the world is performing while you try to make things easier, coward pussy.
>>
>>1432219
pic of body and pack with timestamp
>>
>>1432220
Not until you grow a pair

.....uh oh
>>
>>1432222
post timestamp with body and pack
>>
>>1432224
I didn't expect it would be this hard for you to grasp that at least 50% of the male population is better than you.

That sucks.
>>
>>1432225
post pic of body and pack with timestamp
>>
>>1432226
Learn to walk post timestamp
>>
>>1432229
post pic of timestamp, body and pack
>>
>>1432231
Too busy fucking your mom

This will take a while
>>
>>1432233
post pic of body and pack, timestamped
>>
>>1432234
I bet you're the kind of person that thinks 100 push ups is "a lot"
>>
>>1432234
He's just fishing for (you)s. If I was mean spirited I would say those 80lbs he mentions are the ones he's packing on his gut, as he's a fatass neckberd.
>>
>>1432240
I never have more than 15lbs to lose at any given time. That's all the spare energy I've ever needed.
>>
>>1432240
i already pointed that out >>1432123
and i'm 100% sure that he owns more katanas than backpacking gear, but it's raining and my 3 week old baby is asleep, so i don't have anything else to do except call him on his bullshit in the more boring and nonengaging way possible
>>
>>1432245
>He thinks walking is hard

I will pray for you, child
>>
>>1432247
post pic of body and pack and timestamp
>>
>>1432110
3/10
>>
>>1432256
>>1432248
I genuinely don't believe you honestly. There is no way a person could be so physically weak.
>>
I've always heard if you can bicep curl your pack without straining then you're good to go, if not, too heavy
>>
>>1432341
ah, yes, because biceps are critical to backpacking.
>>
>>1432345
General skeletal muscle is pretty evenly spread throughout the body
>>
File: 516iwcKLKGL_600x.jpg (29 KB, 261x500)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
I love this osprey with nice hip pockets for all the little things.
besides it's supposed to be for women but I love the color (the moment I saw it in the shop I fell in love and it's only year later I could afford to buy it, it was like 300).
The only problem I have is where to keep a knife for easy extraction. I love to tramp in europe.
>>
>>1431345
Idk, I keep this folding mat inside for a low profile (the thermarest one) Besides, it will be easily ripped crawling through the bushes and stones.
>>
>>1431986
>Im in the market for a 10 to 18 L day pack and the CamelBak range looks neat (and is on sale ATM) .
The pack itself is a bit smaller than I'd like, but if you're just going /out/ for the day it's nice. Also you can do pic related if you want to use it as an extra set of bags on longer hikes (please excuse the straps hanging willy nilly).

Anyway for your questions...
>How often and for what do you use it?
Depends on the season. Winter I get lazy on my /out/ings, but during spring to fall maybe twice a month. I have only really had this specific one since fall of last year, but I just use it for water, snacks, spare socks, and occasionally storing a sweater.
>How is the contraction?
I really don't know what you mean by this... I don't really crunch it down for any purposes, if I'm going to be using multiple bags I typically attach one to the outside of another.
>how has it weathered ?
Pretty well so far, but I also make it a point to take care of my shit.
>the shoulder straps look dinky are they a problem?
If you're hauling bricks, yeah. But the thing is this isn't designed for major loads. You're maybe carrying an extra 25lbs max in it.
>>
File: 20190112_071859.jpg (4.04 MB, 4032x3024)
4.04 MB
4.04 MB JPG
>>1432552
Forgot to mention, I like to drink paint and that's why I forget to post pics.
>>
>>1432552
>contraction

Sorry it was supposed too be construction but you've answered that for me anyway.

im just worried that as a running pack it may be too dinky to survive branches and shit scraping against it.

what do you think?
>>
>>1432632
AS in in my case i'td triple as a hiking, MTB and climbing pack. And we've got some low and thorny vegetation here.
>>
>>1431874
>however its not really comfortable to carry

So it's basically shit?
>>
I have a question as im looking for a consolidated upgrade for pack for backpacking adventures with the wife and then hunting with my bros.

Right now for backpacking I have the REI Traverse 70 that I got from their garage sale for $35 and I love everything about it, especially the weight.

https://www.rei.com/product/126934/rei-co-op-traverse-70-pack-mens

For hunting I have the Alps Outdoorz Commander X pack. This pack is great for its versatility and hauling and even proved itself nicely with its first Elk bull packout, but god DAMN is it heavy.

http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/products/extreme/commander-x-pack

Im looking for a lightweight and veristle backpack so I dont need to have two just hanging around and was hoping to hear some opinions on whats out there. No brand preference but I like the modular capabilities/weight/price of Kuiu but i heard its not that durable or comfortable.
Seek Outdoors and Stone Glacier were highly recommended but could potentially weigh just the same as my current hunting pack...
>>
On the market for an expedition pack. Managed a 10 day trip without a resupply this fall with my Khyber 50 but it had more stuff on the outside than a Christmas tree until most of the food was gone and it’s not made for loads that heavy, rather unplesant on my shoulders and upper back. Looking for something in the 80+ range with 100L being preferred. I’d enjoy a bag that won’t cut off all the circulation in my arms if I’m hauling meat/winter gear/climbing equipment. Needs to be reasonably light (3kg or less), somewhat snow/water resistant and have side compression straps so I can put my skis on the pack when snow isn’t deep enough for them.

Current candidate list:
HMG Porter 5400
Seek Outside 7400 (compresses down to a 20L pack if need be)
Osprey Xenith 105
Klättremusen Tor 100

>pic related Khyber 50 in late September
>>
Just got an REI Flash 22. I think it's going to be perfect for day hikes with the pup. Plenty of room for his food/water and some lunch for me, first aid kit, water bladder, and some extra to stow layers.

Will report back once I get some use out of it.
>>
>>1433227
Kelty Redcloud 110L
>>
>>1432633
Hiking and mountain biking, yeah definitely, especially if you're looking for something lightweight. When you say climbing, are you talking free climbing? I haven't really done much of any climbing, personally so I can't give much insight as to what types of gear suit your purposes.
>>
>>1433261

>climbing pack
climbing pack's are just regular packs with minimal loops as to not catch on anything.

Thanks man, think im going to get myself a 16'ish camelbak.
>>
>>1416454
I got a 50 and use it for a week at a time, the 30 is a day bag i use but is extremely tight, even for a wkend
>>
File: 2.jpg (35 KB, 726x545)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>1433227

>inverted image

From the thumbnail, I thought I was seeing a Mosquito XET seconds before impact.
>>
>>1432103
BAHAHAHA
>>
>Even reputable companies are bullshitting when it comes to what their packs are made from
This is fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>1433627

yeah i would not trust whatever scale that engine is in
also probably made in china
>>
File: PixelSidr1-1250x1000.jpg (104 KB, 677x655)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
They make a camo version of the Soviet conscript pack. Why?
>>
>>1433227
seek outside hands down, the best frame in existence
>>
>>1432194
So even while on a bike you have to put a fag in your mouth?
Ok, we know it's not you, you go off now, poser fag. Have a (you) and scoop.
>>1433972
For retarded western geardos.
>>
>>1433227
>10days
Noice.
Do you have a pic of it with all the gear? How many kilograms did it all weight?
>>
>>1434284
You don't get to tell me what to do, baby legs.
>>
Just moved and my new area has good hiking whats the best for a day hike tops like 3 hours?
>>
>>1434549
your pockets
>>
>>1434549
At least underwear, I guess
>>
>>1434549
A doobie
>>
>>1434620
>>1434618
>>1434594
Underwear dont have pockets wat do, where do i keep the doobie
>>
>>1434629
>underwear don't have pockets
https://www.amazon.com/Stashitware-Secret-Pocket-Underwear-Cotton/dp/B01K8WJ94C/ref=asc_df_B01K8WJ94C/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312398721727&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9660033557704648255&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018842&hvtargid=pla-570853862788&psc=1
>>
Duffle bag, cheap but are they worth it? Only drawback I can think of is them not being waterproof
>>
>>1434738
Uncomfortable af, both the content being stuffed in and how it moves during travel.
>>
>>1434738
These things are NOT meant for actual marching/hiking or general longer carrying.
They are made for simple transportation of your shit, nothing more.
>>
>>1431922
Did you ever use that 65l flecktarn one that a you see for about £50 on surplus websites?
If yes how did it hold up and what do you think of it?

I like mine much more than the P58 webbing I was using before (I like milsurp, what can I say) but I've not taken it out properly yet.
>>
>>1434803
You're right but also a little pussy
>>1434752
Little pussy
>>1434738
It will hold your stuff while you walk, it will be shit but it will do it
>>
Small, and light. Will sew a holder for my tarp under it, straps for the sleeping bag above it, hatchet holder to the side.

How many days worth of equipment do you think you can carry with you in thaf backpack? As a fisher i don't need food and will only hike in fish-territory
>>
>>1435016

can’t tell the size but in the summer I can take everything I need in a 30L, the only limit is food and water of which I can normally get a weeks worth of food and 2 days of water

If that’s a 20L then I’d only use it as a day bag

All this is pretty moot since you plan on just strapping everything to the outside

I’d suggest getting a bag big enough to fit all your shit inside and at least taking a days worth of food just incase but you do you
>>
>>1435016
I have a ve4y similar pack - it has been my edc & day hikes pack for 10 or more years.
It's very good, but if you put too much heavy shit in it, it will land on your ass, making hiking very uncomfortable due to lack of frame. Even if you put bundeshwehr sleeping pad for support. Pretty spacy though, I could fit a 10L water canister when I needed to carry water to my nearby garden.

>>1435023
I honestly don't know how they count those litres, 10L keg is pretty big, all those small packs that say 20L, 30L... Maybe they count external pockets or something, sounds like huge lie to me.
>>
Is there any alternative to the ALICE that is proven to last decades? Preferably without easily broken parts like zippers.
>>
>>1435393
Swiss m39 all be it much smaller than the Alice
And swedish lk35 Along with other berga style packs
>>
>>1435448
Looks really good thanks. Any good seller/model/spare parts other buying recommendations?
>>
>>1435448
Is it more comfortable/light than the ALICE? My only knowledge of the ALICE is that it is very heavy and uncomfortable even with improved belts and straps.
>>
>>1435456
all military packs suck for comfort
>>
>>1435470
Nah you're just a pussy many are very nice
>>
>>1435456
Idk man I like the lk35s because they have a realively light frame and can be cpmressed smaller to have a small footprint unlike the bulky Alice with it's like 6lb frame... They also make aftermarket pads and bags for the Alice frame? Maybe one of those mate

>>1435470
All dogs bite...... ?

Not really you are probably just a gq pussy
>>
>>1435503
>>1435552

let me qualify that statement, comfort is not the primary goal of military packs, don’t get one if you care about comfort above all else If you want comfort go to the consumer market where they give a fuck

source: served, used miltary packs, borrowed a bunch of surplus too for hikes, they work fine but stop glorifying everything the military makes just because you played call of duty as a kid
>>
>>1435561
I'm not obsessed with comfort but I want the most comfortable within that range of durability and repairability.
>>
>>1435577
then buy german imo, I like the british turtle pack too
>>
>>1435561
So exactly as you said we don't really care alot for comfort and what we are looking for is durability vs the consumer market.... And nobody said the military makes great things... Because that very simply not true at all...
>>
>>1435583
Which German pack?
>>
File: images (8).jpg (18 KB, 543x565)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
Honestly, I have never seen so many hideous and useless backpacks in the one thread. Absolutely Haram.
>>
>>1435448
>And swedish lk35 Along with other berga style packs
Be very, very careful if you find LK35s. The stock is pretty much permanently depleted as far as I know, but you have Chinese factories offering repros in bulk lots.
Otherwise, expect to pay out the ass for them. I think the price for a good quality LK35 is ~$80.
>>
>>1436176
Is there a decent alternative?
>>
>>1436219
For a light frame pack? I don't know of any.
>>
>>1436219
I think the m39 is a very good alternative but they run about the same as a lk35 and they are a bit smaller but more robust
>>
I hate this.
>>
>>1435448
>swiss m39
Can't seem to find it, did you mean the swedish m39?
Or ist the salt & pepper model?
>>
The big issue with most milsurp is that they were only really worth it when they were $20. Now they're $80-$200. Getting into this field hurts because I'm looking at these things I feel I've totally missed out on. You have things like those big Swiss rubberized packs where they were pawned off for $20 each but they're built out of some wondermaterial and are massive tanky bastards.
>>
>>1436176
How can I tell if it's a repo or surplus, before buying it
>>
>>1436332
No clue. I was just throwing the warning out because I found bulk lots of LK35s available on AliBaba.
>>
I'm looking for a very durable backpack that has 50L+ of space. Military is fine, but I'm looking for the most comfortable option that's still as durable as an ALICE pack. Seems like most of the military packs recommended here are pretty small.
>>
>>1427272
>Cadet Unit
Seriously tho military rucks are designed to carry 65+ lbs for weeks they are a little weak if you like strapping and the plastic frame can break but i have only seen that happen twice

go Mil spec military rucks are no bullshit the best ones i have ever used i have an Osprey that i used to love and i will admit the civilian packs are more comfortable but as far as utility and capacity i go Ruck all the way.. also military has no water storage however i use camel back so that is not a problem for me

One guy in my unit uses an Alice pack he was the guy who broke those rucks he likes it because it is a metal frame so no breaking. i fucking hate them because they are heavy and never fit me quite right/ supper small

go MOLLE Ruck and put 2-4 sustainment pouches on there if the camo bothers you take it apart and use dye to make it a festive red or what ever the hell you want
>>
>>1436341
Go for MOLLE Ruck
see
>>1436434
>>
>>1436316
Yes the swedish I keep getting confused because I reference the Swiss salt and pepper alot
>>
File: innawoods.jpg (98 KB, 645x645)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>1436436
I think zippers would break eventually, as would the frame.

How do you guys feel about the British Bergen? Worth the price over an ALICE Large?, also, how does an ALICE Hellcat compare to a regular backpacking pack?
>>
>>1436507

only 2 zippers on a MOLLE and i have never seen one of those break the only thing i see break is the plastic buckles and those are super easily replaced

like i said the frame can break but i have seen hundreds of guys live out of these things for days at a time and i have only ever seen two breaks.
>>
>>1436555
Are there metal buckles?

Also, how would you go about repairing the zipper, if you know.
>>
I got a Molle meme ruck because I’m a larper, I don’t really have the time to go out much, but I actually like it. Got the mss too for a decent price. I also have a 50L Kelty I use currently for Uni, and I used it for a study abroad program. Oh and of course I have an Alice pack in my closet because I’m a sucker for surplus shit. Any suggestions for something that is actually practical, but is still a bit tacticool?
>>
Think this is legit enough to put up $40 in a gamble at getting a 1:1 military quality new rucksack?
>>
>>1436655
>exact specs
>China
Hmmmmmmmm
Also I don’t think those packs are hard to find, I did a search and found surplus for around $40
>>
>>1436757
Where are you seeing them for $40?
>>
>>1436760
https://www.militaryclothing.com/German-Army-Backpack-Flecktarn-Camo.aspx?id=20418-630365-FLECK&gclid=Cj0KCQiAj4biBRC-ARIsAA4WaFh72aoB9EJf6JBRQUnmllkB0m3WGvgVWaDG16ifCxGVMUI9LUszDLMaAvAUEALw_wcB&ad=288033527678
>>
>>1436767
>$40 w/ free shipping
Well, damn. That is a good deal.
>>
>>1436630
Kelty falcon 4000
>>
>>1436807
TY
>>
>>1436773
Hmm. They also have brand new versions of what they claim are the 110l packs for $110, but with no provenance attached. They look like clones of the Berghaus Cyclops 2 Atlas, but I have no idea if they're in any way official or not. They claim to be made of 1000D cordura, but most knockoffs claim to be made of a better material.
>>
>>1436566
no metal all plastic buckles
if the zipper breaks which it would be difficult to do you could still use the pack for the rest of the hike just because of the way its constructed you would have to buy a new ruck eventually

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.