[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 41 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

Who else here /puttee/pilled?
Wore them as a joke once, but realised the great ankle support they gave me. Also feels kike they take some strain off of your calves. Never go hiking without them now, but take them off as soon as I return to civilisation to avoid odd looks.
This thread is for odd equipment (whether niche, old fashioned, or made by you) that you love to wear and use when /out/
>>
>>1410331
>ankle support
Aren't they supposed to function as gaiters, i.e. prevent dirt from getting into your shoes? If you need the ankle support perhaps you should get a pair of sturdy boots? But by all means knock yourself out.
>>
>>1410333
No, they are a tight wrap to provide ankle and lower leg support. Poorly wrapped ones still work a bit like gaiters, though I have to say I have never felt a strong need for gaiters. With puttees I can wear approach shoes on those borderline areas. If anyone does where gaiters I would be interested to know when and where they are helpful
>>
ankle support is a meme gone too far
>>
Winningas need to make a comeback, I wear them all the time when /out/ aswell. I also wear a cloak, which also need to make a comeback.
>>
>>1410341
gaiters are a godsend off-trail in scotland, prevent your feet from getting soaked when you’re walking through shrubs and grass that are always wet and i never get ticks when i wear them.

I might try puttees this summer as more ankle support would be useful
>>
>ankle support
Wrong, if you wore those kind of turnshoes you have no need for ankle support since your feet and ankles will be incredibly strong

>strain off your calves
Sounds like you’re wrapping them pretty tight. Your calves change shape and swell up over a hike, be careful or you’re going to get circulation issues

>wool
Amazing in the cold, great against underbrush and ticks, awesome aesthetics but absolutely aids in the rain. If your ancestors could, they would have used anything else
>>
Had a pair of leather gaiters, great when in India to scare locals but otherwise useless.

Russian fur hats are fantastic, even in snow my head felt like sex.
>>
>>1410366
The rain poncho has superseded the cloak in every way
>>
>>1410368
>circulation issues from compression
I thought mild compression was supposed to be good for circulation? Like those diabetic compression socks, prevents inflammation etc.
>>
File: 20181112_004554.jpg (3.27 MB, 4032x3024)
3.27 MB
3.27 MB JPG
>>1410396
Yeah, have fun using your poncho as a blanket.
>>
>>1410331
>Also feels kike

What do you mean? Cheap?
>>
>>1410331
>ankle support

You mean ankle breakers. Enjoy weakening your ankles and muscles while wearing something that supports your ankle. You are also wrapping them too tightly.

>>1410414
That's for diseased people and not something you do for healthy people.
>>
>>1410425
Nah. Mild compression provides better blood flow. It only works if the pressure affects the veins only, not the arteries. Don't wrap too tight. (I'm a nurse btw, and I use compression socks or whatever they're called in English semi regularly)
>>
>>1410417
>fold hood over to cover neck hole
>wrap it around yourself
They're both just large pieces of cloth with slightly different holes. Both are fine as blankets. Ponchos are better in wind/rain since they don't billow out behind you, and also don't make you look like as much an autist.
>>
>>1410434
>Mild compression provides better blood flow.

Movement is the number one thing you can do to help, "increase blood flow." Restricting anything decreases blood flow. It is simple physics that one.
>>
>>1410437

Oh man, I guess the entire compression socks industry is kaput now that you posted this. Where were you decades ago when doctors and physicians started researching and prescribing their patients???? We've wasted so much time without your input!
>>
>>1410447
Sorry, but Anon is right. By your logic, we should still be bleeding patients as standard therapy. You think they did research decades ago? They said, "Hey! That feels good! Let's use those!" Once the real research started they said, "Oh shit... We've been exacerbating blood clots!" They used to be standard issue after childbirth, but they haven't used them for at least 10 years now. Things change Anon.
>>
File: hA28BAA21.jpg (40 KB, 499x374)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>1410447
>The same thing should be applied to healthy people that is applied to sick or sedentary people.

Illogical.

>Appeal to authority.

Illogical.

>Restriction improves flow.

Illogical.
>>
>>1410447
People who have swelling areas because they have a disease or are healing an injury are not the people who don't have such things. People who don't have such things don't need to reduce swelling. What you are saying is like taking headache medication for people who don't have headaches.
>>
Puttees are great, love mine
>ankle support is a meme
confirmed never worked in forestry
>>
>>1410414
>Like those diabetic compression socks, prevents inflammation etc.
well thats for fat people
>>
>>1410436
I'd say they're both pretty autistic.
>>
File: vintage-swiss-ice-axe.png (116 KB, 600x600)
116 KB
116 KB PNG
long ice axes are underrated
>>
>>1410699
>T. Ramón Mercader
>>
>>1410331
I wear unironically gaiters and braces because they both work, same goes for fanny packs. I'm back to all leather no membrane boots and I'm thinking about switching to wool hunting trousers for the winter months.
>>
>>1410437
This is why professional athletes wear compression garments during games?
>>
>>1411137
>short, intense man-made athletic sport where supporting certain muscles serves a role / meme science abounds
>vs a long hike where your limbs often swell anyway
>>
>>1410331
>feels kike, man
>>
>>1411172
>Man, I fell kike a woman
>>
I keep convincing /out/ the the benefits of pic related, ever since I tried them out 6 years ago.
>>
>>1412061
Go on...
>>
>>1412066
Hold it like a cig. and you have a micro flashlight.
Attach it to tent lining and you nor anyone shall trip over it when going back to your tent drunk or waking up to take a piss in the dark.
Many other uses. In complete darkness they are more than enough. Weightless, tiny, dirt cheap, battery free.

I also advocate this, but I'm not the only anon who carrries those (or some micro pliers).
>>
>>1412075
>micro pliers
is that what they're calling forceps these days?
>>
>>1412115
No. This is.
http://allegro.pl/ShowItem2.php?item=7095798307
>>
If you got some cheap gaiters, misted them with glue, and then covered them in a coating of diatomaceous earth, would any ticks that try to climb on them die?
>>
>>1412156
Go drink some bleach.
>>
>>1410447
You sound like the motherfucker that pushes out the air bubble in a lovenox syringe.
>>
>>1410349
not if you aren't used to hiking, or are have to carry a ridiculous amount of weight
>>
>>1412263
Doncha wanna hang out with the bleach boys baby? In a world where midgets murder golf pros? Doncha wanna drink some bleach tonight?
>>
>>1410699
This, but probably because I'm 6'5"
My ice axe is some old one from the 80s I picked up on Craigslist, was surprised to see how long it was and how much more I liked it over the black diamond axe my friend let me try.
>>
>>1410331
They're good at keeping filth and leeches out if you they're dipped in something. Combining them with socks and good boots would yield best results.
>>
>>1412061
why are you bringing dildos with you into the woods anon
>>
>>1412061
Based and redglowsticked
Excellent markers
>>
>>1413445
Dude, those are like, 4mm thick & 5cm long.
>>
>>1413471
Ya sure like a human penis could ever be that big LOL
>>
>>1410699
>That aesthetic
Old times were always the best times.
>>
>>1411137
keeps core muscles warm
compression is good for circulation
pocket replaces the need for jock strap

>>1412061
I ca glue thread to them and hang the tiny ones on trees for night orienteering, box of 100 for $8 love those things
>>
File: IMG_20181027_111258_789.jpg (1.91 MB, 2268x2835)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
>>1410367
Based and gaiterpilled

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.