[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Capture.png (1 MB, 778x809)
1 MB
1 MB PNG
/o/ how do you negotiate cars down? I seem to be a bad negotiator.
>>
don't look/act week but also don't be a tryhard
>>
>>21864408
Try not being a massive fucking faggot
>>
>>21864418
*weak
>>
>>21864408
Use the BB value if they're over it. Get a pre-inspection and use anything you're told against them (knock the price by the amount of the repair you're immediately going to have to get).
>>
>>21864408
my Dad is good at it. the key is to make them like you first
>>
>>21864453
That may work with private sales but not with actual car dealers.
>>
>>21864453
>Make him like me
>>21864441
>Show KBB
>Look everything over
>Make note of everything I will need to do
>Take that off of what KBB says?
>>
>>21864463
2 separate pieces of advice. You might not want to use both in the same conversation or the guy might tell you to fuck off. Even though I listed it second, getting and using a pre inspection and having current "dirt" on that specific car is far better than a generic number on a computer screen.
>>
>>21864408
idk but it’s funny when ed bolian says “he wanted 170,000 and I offered 140,000 , so being a shrewd negotiator we met right in the middle at 140,000”
>>
File: moneyharrison.jpg (34 KB, 960x540)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>21864408
I'll give you $500 for it, that's the absolute highest I can go, not a dollar more.
>>
>>21864489
Well I figure I keep the kkb value in my head and don't say it.
>>21864507
I want to be his level. I can tell you to an autistic degree every little thing about Saabs and value them somewhat accurately, but I can never get a normie down to that market value.
>>
>>21864408

Go up to it point at things say this shit is ugly this shit is ruined ill give you bout tree fiddy.
>>
The #1 thing is you can't be desperate. As soon as they know you want it, you're fucked because they have all the power. You have to go into it fully accepting the possibility that you might walk away with nothing. My last car was $41500 and I paid $33000 for it. The only reason that happened is because I was ready to walk away if I didn't get what I wanted and they knew it.
>>
>>21865398
Well I always seem really, really interested but then just walk away. I tell them flat out I have been shopping for a Saab for 6 months I can wait another 6.
>>
Sometimes you don't even feel the need to haggle if the price is fair.

I've haggled for all my vehicles except for the last one I bought because the price was fair, although I did get them to give me a full tank of gas and an oil change though
>>
>>21865416
this
keep in mind the LOCAL price of your exact model and similar cars
if they're charging more then try to negotiate them down and if it doesn't work then go for one of the better priced ones
the dude selling the best priced vehicle in the area will likely know, especially if he's shrewd, and won't be so easily talked down
>>
>>21864520
Get a damn pre inspection. Regardless of cost it's your best bet on not getting a lemon.
>>
>>21864408
Be ready to leave if you don't get what you want. There's no Bames Nond strategy that will get you a better deal. Know the fair price, know what people have paid prior.
>>
>>21864408
Don't be a faggot tripnigger subhuman to start
>>
Plan beforehand what you wont pay more than, and also a slightly better price that you would like to get it at. Be reasonable. Finally come up with a lowball offer, which you will be able to work up from to the price you want it at.

When looking at the car and asking questions, keep your mouth shut! Just like a cop, any info you give this guy WILL be used against you. Point at the part, ask your question, be quiet and listen. Make almost awkward silence, the seller will fill that silence by little things he thinks of and, more often than not, slowly talk himself down to get you to say yes.

Then start low, and negotiate up to your ideal price. Usually you can get him to meet you in the middle, actually finally relenting up to your ideal price.
>>
>>21864441
>KBB
Edmund's gives a much more realistic value for most used cars,
>>
>>21865677
>autistic silence

Retard have you ever left your house?
>>
When they're listing the positive points, acknowledge them but don't do any more than that
Be autistic about inspecting it, don't bring each thing up individually as you see them but rather compile it into a short monologue with which to preface and justify your offer.
Basically, make yourself sound intelligent and not just like a crackhead trying to get a car on the cheap
>>
>>21864507
Ed Bolian is also dealing high end exotics that have far fewer avenues for resale than a Craigslist Saab.
>>
>>21865688
I fix and flip cars for a living. I have no problem making people uncomfortable. I dont pay asking price. What works for you?
>>
Look it over and decide what it's worth to you. Offer that. The seller knows what he wants and what the condition of the car is. You don't have to play games with them by lowballing and pointing out every imperfection.
>>
You have to be paying cash to really negotiate. Cash talks.
>>
>>21864408
Have set price in your mind your willing to spend.
>>
>>21864507
Ed Bolian is Honest though
He knows how much those cars cost to repair and make a commission.

28,000 grand in repairs (parts,mechanics labor)and 12 thousand for Ed and and the dealers commission

Then Ed puts it on the lot for the $170,000 it's worth once repaired.
>>
>>21864520
You pay less then blue book value you might have to do $1,500 in repairs.
>>
>>21865398
Good advice 10/10 post
>>
>>21866058
10/10 advice
>>
You have to establish dominance at the first point of contact, don't waste time inspecting the car unless you know you can haggle it down significantly. Once you find a guy who will counteroffer your lowballs you got potential for a decent purchase. Don't make any agreement about price over the phone, but go inspect it once you know the dude is desperate to get rid of it.
>>
>>21864408
Spend the time carfully inspecting it like you should, go home, then cal lback with "alright, knock (about 10% of the price) off, chuck a set of mats in and we'll go for it."

Worked for me multiple times.
>>
>>21864408

Watch a few videos on negotiating to get a idea.

Here's Rabbit on his recent negotiating deal.

https://youtu.be/Rkjw4lVEsAk

Remember rabbit is more cut throat then the average car salesman.
>>
>>21864408
I buy alot of early 90's beaters so I usually just offer $150-200 above what the salvage yard will pay since I'm the only buyer besides junk yards and scrap yards but I'm not a car flipper I just collect and restore older cars.
>>
>>21864408
Remember if you watch Vin wiki
Guys like ED Bolian and johnTemerian are honest car flippers that put the integrity of the vehicle over their own profit those two try protecting the Lamborghini name.

Where as a guy like rabbit is every bad story you heard about a used car salesman all combined.
>>
>>21864408

Here's a video of Chris fixx buying a car for cheap.

https://youtu.be/7VX090Fi63E
>>
>>21864408
Just dont be a desparate twink.
Dont wait until Sunday to tell the dealership associate that you dont have a working car right now and need to get to work monday morning.
Always have a functioning car so you know you can wait and always be willing to walk away because "woah, this used car is much nicer in person than it seemed online. I was thinking we could bring the price down on it a bit because it didnt look soo well in pics, but I can see its worth every but of its $16,836.99+tax and title."
Tell them off the bat that you agree the price shouldnt come down so they can come up with a reason to bring it ddown for you. Then tell them 14600 OTD was the most you could afford.
Then when they say you can finance 15k$ tellem youll do it for $14,800.
This will save you $3,721.99
Although if I were you, I'd use that same logic on a 13k$ vehicle to get it down to 10k$
>>
What if the price that the seller is asking for it is reasonable? Should I still point out small flaws (that any used car has) just to jew a couple of hundred bucks of his asking price?
>>
>>21866291
If your a scumbag

But usually when I buy a car it's needs enough smalls things that add up to justify offering them a lower price.

Maybe one of the tires looks All most bald and a visor clip is broken.

Im going to offer you a hundred less.

Is their after market rims on the car?

Guess what I don't care how much you paid for them I'm offering you 200-400 dollars less and still going to check if you have the original rims so I can throw them in my trunk.

Did you do a after market tint?

I don't care how much it cost you tjis now justifys me offering $100-125 less then what you wanted.
>>
File: download.jpg (13 KB, 274x184)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>21866291
Pointing out flaws wont do it.
You have to assume major maintenance hasnt been completed on the vehicle.
Know your ride before you go in and based on the mileage, tell the associate how much its going to cost to get the maintenance up to date.
The associate will offer to add it as promised work by the dealership on the sales contract, but decline this offer and tell them you want the service to be done by a technician from the respective dealership (so toyota for a toyota) that is if youre buying a used car from a different make from the dealership.
You should be able to get up to 1,100$ off this way.
This is why they aways put new but shitty tires on the car. So you cant get 700$ off.
>>
>>21866291
It depends are those flaws something your going to repair out of your own pocket?
say the flaw is a weak battery offer him a $150 less

There's a honest way of low balling someone imagine what the flaws will cost your own wallet then deduct those.
>>
>>21866393
10/10 advice
>>
File: 1468693251339.webm (2.41 MB, 640x640)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB WEBM
>>21866396
I rape dealership associates out of thousands of dollars when I go in.
>>
>>21864408
I don't know how to low ball sales man at car dealerships but I know how to get cheap prices on Craigslist and Facebook market place and talk the seller down on their original price.
>>
>>21865416
>>21865427
The problem is the price isn't fair. When it comes to the Saab market a really nice one is only gonna go for all of maybe 3k. So any work just divebombs value. But there are plenty of poor people (nogs) who see a cheap luxury car and will just drive them into the ground.
>>21865691
>>21866216
>>21866393
The thing is I can tell you everything short of paint codes. I know every inch of work that will need done to the car and then some. But people don't care on cheap cars like that because as niech as Saabs are some person is gonna buy the car and just run it into the ground if the seller hasn't already.
>>21866087
If I was gonna pay kbb value and acount for 1500 in work I would get the car for free.
>>
>>21866523
I already told you the haggling stars well before you meet the guy in person, some people just won't budge, stay away from them
Lets say it's listed at $5000. your initial message (no calling!) to the seller should be
>2000
That's it. Literally nothing more. If he responds with a reasonable counter offer despite your scum lowball then you can start to play. No response or other types of responses have different strategies, lmk if you're interested in them
>>
>>21864408
1) understand the car’s value better than they do.

2) be ready to walk away. Don’t try to make it seem like you’re ready to walk away, they’ll call the bluff.

KBB is at 10k for average, like 12k for this car at great condition and low mileage, so you say, “I’ve been looking for this car; it’s the right car, but I want it at the right price. You have this car for $13k but I think it’s value is more like $9k (just a mild lowball — an actual lowball will just cause eyerolls). But eh, as you said, above average condition, maybe like 10k is right.” They’ll try you meet you at like maybe 12k (KBB value). “Ah, yeah, pretty close, but I wonder if there’s a better deal out there. Also, it’s got a clutch job coming up, but I’m interested. Got a card?”

Call them back later that day or maybe next day it maybe next week depending on how fast you think it’ll sell. “You know, I like that car, but I can’t really do over 11k.”

If warranties or other add-ons are your thing, you can usually negotiate on those, too. They make more money on those than on the car.

Also let yourself get “upsold.” You came to the lot looking for a corolla but actually you really like that Camry, but it’s just out of budget! Oh man, you were wanting to pay cash but hey, maybe you’ll do a loan too (dealers make money on loans, so get a loan and they’ll come down on price).

End of the month is real, too. But show up on like the 27th — it takes a couple days for loans to go thru and dealer to get money, if you come on the 29th it will probably be a next month’s sale.

Did all these tricks to get an FRS for $11k from a dealer (when it was impossible to find a similar condition one for under $15k).

But with a car like an FRS from a Toyota lot you also have an advantage: no one goes to a Toyota lot to buy a sports car, and the people who spot it and inquire at a Toyota lot can’t drive a manual, the car was there for 3 months.
>>
>>21865416
The price that's fair is the price they're willing to accept. Unless they're just throwing out the only price they're willing to accept right away, either you're an idiot not to haggle, or you're running a charity. Even if they're on the bottom end of what's typically fair, it doesn't hurt to ask for $500 less, "hey man, this car is really the right price, but I gotta consider sales tax, registration, etc. That's a little rough for me, think you can take $300-500 off to smooth it over, boss?"

>>21866570
I sell used goods for a living. When people throw me low scumball offers, I block them and if they come in to my store I refuse to negotiate at all on my price.
This is a good way to piss people off and lose out on fair negotiators.
And you're not being clever. I get 10-20 messages per day of people offering <50% of what the item should be worth, all of them thinking they're so clever and are going to haggle me down to some amazing deal at like 80% of what the item is worth. It's just annoying as fuck.
No, I don't entertain them. I just wait two more weeks. My items are priced well. They WILL sell. If I wanted to wait two months, I could add 20% to the price.
>>
>>21866523
>people dont care about a cheap car.They value it enough to keep a firm price.
What are you going on about? Is the car cheap or is the price not reasonable?
Someone that posts a "cheap car" on craigslist, is likely trying to get rid of it and will absolutely drop the price for you to take it off their hands. A dealership even moreso.
It sounds to me like you struggle to understand supply and demand and as a result are not sure what the price of your target purchase should be.
>>
>>21866715
Your listing at a fair price

Most people selling used cars list the price as if a car was all maintained when it's not.
>>
>>21866723
He says "cheap cars like that". I don't think he's talking about your typical 1998 Kia that's passed around like a hot potato at $500, but rather the occasional niche car that almost always exclusively ends up in the hands of a shrewd, who'll just sit on a car with a blown head gasket for a year and still asking a ridiculous amount of money because he knows that eventually some fanboy will come and actually pay that money.
Saabs are like that.
>>
>>21866523
Well if the car is being sold for $1,500 and it looks like it needs another $1,500 in repairs

That's when you ask the seller if you can see the car and offer $500-600 dollars.

Maybe $700 if it's something you want to drop money into.
>>
Read through this thread

>>21864524

People are suggesting he guy nigger rig the screws on his sensor box on his mustang

Now if you we're going to buy this mustang in the future and seen screws on the sensor box looking nigger rigged and not OEM

You can talk him down another $150 on the price.
>>
>>21866950
That's fair, but actually if I saw when I knew to be aftermarket performance screws then I would look at that as a huge opportunity to sperg out about cars together and learn more about what's actually going on with this ride. That puts the seller in a more emotionally vunlnerable state, gives you information that he didn't know he was going to give away, and establishes a better common ground for whether and why it should be sold to you and at something more like your offering price.
>>
File: .jpg (179 KB, 1000x662)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
Christ on a stick, its another thread from the shitty trip who's just in love with a car he's never owned. All you guys are wasting your time. This idiot has been pining over sub-1K shitbox saabs for a loong god damn time now. The fact he doesn't own one yet should show you how fucked up he is.
>>21864408
You don't have a personality and driving a hipster car won't create one for you. But you asked a question, so listen in you high-functioning, autistic faggot. You only negotiate the car down if the price isn't fair. At your budget of ~1,000 USD, there won't be much room because a car that runs, drives, and doesn't suck will be worth that regardless of what it is.
Ask why you're trying to get the price down. Is it because you're just a fucking moron and you think that they're obligated to accept a lower price because they're selling a car? If yes, then go suck start a shotgun, because you're wrong. Look at the car, know what similar cars are worth, and if its higher, point out that it's above average price and offer him a fair value. You don't just walk in and go "Gib me $300 off just because!". That's how retards think, and as developmentally challenged as you are, you don't have extra chromosomes to justify how you've been acting. Stop being a poor nigger and realize that nobody is going to take %20 of their desired price away just because you asked and think you're entitled to pay less money. You were literally tying to milk and extra hundred out of a guy who was going to sell you that red one for $900. Just buy a trash fucking shitbox that you can afford, or get a fucking job. And stop wondering why you can't get a bf as a ambition-less, stringy-haired no one out in nowhere-ville, NY.
>>
>>21866763
Kek, poorfag beggers should never consider themselves choosers.
>>
>>21864408
Ask for a discount since you’re liberating him from the despotism of GM shitboxes.

Also
>fuck niggers
>fuck kikes
>fuck jannys
>>
File: 1577141705238.png (169 KB, 354x258)
169 KB
169 KB PNG
>the price is fair
>the price is fair

Wtf is this thread?
The price is literally never fair.
If someone is selling a car for a "fair" or "good" price there's some shit up. Either hidden pileup of problems or shady shit. In the best case he just wants to get rid of it quick (for some reason).
There's always room for haggling, just don't be a dick and move on if he doesn't want to play game.
>>
>>21866381
>>21866393
>>21866394
I get all of this but what if the price of the car is already less then I was expecting to pay? Should I still try to lowball or just shake hands and pay the asking price?
>>
>>21867390
That`s not exactly true, sometimes it is genuinly fair because the seller doesn`t want his car to be molested by migrants/nonwhites/other lowlifes.
Also the seller might be pissed at Alis saying "Was ledsde Preis?"
Some may outright not sell to these people even if they paid full price.
>>
>>21867400
Thats a judgement call on you. I've already told you that you can look into what maintenance it needs and adjust the price from there.
Always ask the seller how he came to that price, this way be doesnt agree to what youre questioning and say thats why he priced it as he didn. Example, "I will need to do the waterpump, timing belt etc., can you bring the price down 400$?"
Response "thats why Ive priced it as it currently stands, I took that into consideration when pricing so you could get that done."
>>
>>21864408
bb/edmunds is the lowest you can usually get away with unless the owner is a complete idiot
>>
>>21867400
I wish you can post an example of what your trying to buy with the price so we can do a real world value estimate on the vehicle and it's potential repair cost.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.