[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: toyota.jpg (59 KB, 375x440)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
Toyota Motor Corp. is planning to roll out a new feature aimed at preventing accidents caused by mix-ups between the accelerator and brake pedal.

Link to Article - https://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0005933504
>>
>In case if the article didn't open up, here's a copy paste of the article.

The new function will suppress engine output if the gas is mistakenly pressed when there is a person in front of the vehicle, thereby preventing sudden acceleration toward pedestrians. According to sources, it may be added before the end of the year to vehicles that have already been sold to customers.

Retrofit safety devices that can suppress mistaken acceleration caused by pressing the wrong pedal are already available on the market, but these devices only work when sensors detect an obstacle such as a wall or another car in the direction the vehicle is traveling. These systems often do not respond to pedestrians or bicycles, and therefore have failed to prevent serious accidents.

Toyota’s new feature would gradually decelerate the vehicle when the accelerator is pressed suddenly, even if there are no obstacles out in front. It would be the first major domestic automaker to incorporate this kind of function.
>>
>Continuation

Toyota intends to allow the new feature to be retrofitted into already sold vehicles for a fee, which the company aims to set at ¥50,000 or less, as it believes such a product will not be widely adopted if it is too expensive, the sources said.

The feature is to be introduced starting with models such as the Prius and Aqua hybrids, which are popular among elderly drivers, and would eventually be compatible with most models.

It is not technically difficult to create a mechanism for reducing engine output when the accelerator is suddenly pressed with great force. However, many in the auto industry have so far believed that suppressing engine output could be dangerous when rapid acceleration is needed, such as moving from an on-ramp to the main lanes on an expressway or trying to avoid a crash in an emergency situation.

Amid a spate of high-profile accidents involving elderly people who made mistakes using the gas and brake pedals, however, Toyota has concluded that such a function to suppress engine output is necessary to prevent accidents involving pedestrians and bicycles. The automaker believes the new feature won’t cause much confusion as long as it is installed only for those who want it, according to the sources.
>>
>>21217010
I'll just stay over here and enjoy my throttle cable.
>>
File: Pepe thumbs up.jpg (142 KB, 820x627)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>21217010
>LA/Detroit level of riots in city
>Car get's surrounded by melanin beings
>They have weapons
>Try to drive of to safe my life
>Toyota says NAH
>Melanin takes over
>I die
Thanks Toyota!
>>
>>21217010
>Snow gets on the sensor
>Car stops working
Perfect
>>
>Contination - Last one

A decision to introduce this feature by Toyota — the nation’s largest automaker — could prompt other manufacturers to take similar steps.

The Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism Ministry on July 5 asked Toyota and seven other major domestic automakers to take urgent action regarding sudden acceleration caused by mistakenly pressing the accelerator.

According to National Police Agency data released in July, 149 fatal accidents were caused by drivers aged 75 or older from January to June this year. Of these, 17 accidents, or 11 percent, are believed to have caused by mistakes between the accelerator and brake. This percentage decreases to 0.7 percent among drivers younger than 75 years old.
>>
>>21217020
You know we already have cars with automatic braking features and this isn't a problem? If the sensor is obstructed then it just doesn't work until you clean it off.
>>
>>21217020
Pfft, it's toyota. They know to how to future proof things.
>>
File: (((Germany))).jpg (545 KB, 1886x1126)
545 KB
545 KB JPG
>>21217019
This
>>
>accidents caused by mix-ups between the accelerator and brake pedal
JUST MURRIKAN THINGS
>>
>>21217019
It's 2019. Learn to code retard. You could re-write codes put into cars to make hem behave however you want.
>>
>automatic braking
fuck humanity
>>
File: Heh.gif (1.13 MB, 288x314)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB GIF
>>21217062
>It's 2019. Learn to code retard.
Kek i remember that meme
>>
>>21217010
Toyota’s new feature would gradually decelerate the vehicle when the accelerator is pressed suddenly, EVEN IF THERE ARE NO OBSTACLES OUT IN FRONT

Fuck that.
>>
This is why Honda Is soo much better than toyota
>>
File: N o i c e.jpg (116 KB, 744x605)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>21217019
Based Toyota is going to get a lot of Weebs killed
>>
If they do this and you can't disable it I'll literally never even look at any new Toyota ever again

>can't floor it because retards who mix up pedals
>>
>>21217096
You mean Mazda
>>
File: 1452890542562.gif (1.52 MB, 499x281)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB GIF
>>21217024
So instead of limiting the maximum age of driving, seeing as it is more likely the root of the problem, we are going to make another gizmo mandatory because of 17 (believed) fatalities.

Great.
>>
>>21217010
>accidents caused by mix ups between the throttle and brake
Lmao isn't this why we have a practical driving test?
>>
File: 1565041496842.jpg (57 KB, 960x928)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>21217024

>According to National Police Agency data released in July, 149 fatal accidents were caused by drivers aged 75 or older from January to June this year. Of these, 17 accidents, or 11 percent, are believed to have caused by mistakes between the accelerator and brake. This percentage decreases to 0.7 percent among drivers younger than 75 years old.

>drivers aged 75 or older
>>
>fewer blue hairs and geriatrics rocketing into the front of CVS stores
Holy shit toyota is Based and Redlined. Gas geriatrics now.

>>21217202
>>21217241
Action against geriatrics behind the wheel will never happen because laws or regulations are career suicide. Those blue hairs are the largest voting block, at least in the US. The only thing smart Americans can do is avoid CVS, Walgreens, and Hallmark stores altogether, since the risk involved is so high.
>>
>>21217024
>to take urgent action regarding sudden acceleration caused by mistakenly pressing the accelerator.
Lol, no freedom allowed. None. How long until cars either have hardwired speed limiters and/or systems that inform the authorities that you have been speeding?

Fuck this.
>>
It's the continued addition of nanny features to cars that keeps me from ever buying a new one. 2012 was the last brand new car I bought and it's going to stay that way. Vintage classics, here I come!
>>
I don't see the problem, other than the fact that Staceys are too dumb, lazy and weak to not rest their foot flat on the floor at the first chance.
>>
>>21217337
>Toyota is based.
Thing it through, anon.
>System gets widely implemented.
>EU/Commiefornia decide to make it mandatory just like ABS.
>All cars have this shit now.
Do you really want that?
>>
Lmao new car cucks cucked cuck can't even accelerate meanwhile my manual chadlais continues to haunt bipedal humanoids
>>
Make this mandatory for all drivers eligible for Social Security.
>>
>>21217010
>anti-acceleration
it's cool that advanced technology piloted by the FR-S and BR-Z is trickling down to the rest of the line up
>>
>>21217381
Top kek
>>
>>21217010
letting people make such a mistake will help remove them from the roads with jail sentences/death

car manufacturers need to stop helping dumb people
>>
>>21217365
I do want that, actually. I am tired of these fucking geriatrics driving into store fronts, parked cars, and people. If implemented correctly, this can only mean good things. What exactly are some of the downsides of this program?

The only issue is this:
>Toyota’s new feature would gradually decelerate the vehicle when the accelerator is pressed suddenly, even if there are no obstacles out in front.
Depending on what their definition of "suddenly" is, it could limit the ability to pull off from a stoplight.
>>
>>21217058
>Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism Ministry
>Toyota, the nations largest automotive vehicle producer
Yep sure sounds american to me
>>
>>21217389
It further removes freedom/personal responsibility from us, that is the issue. And then there's the cost of buying/maintaining yet another pos electronic gizmo.
>>
>>21217346
>implying they will even let you speed
>>
>>21217410
Precisely.
>>
>>21217403
>It further removes freedom/personal responsibility from us, that is the issue
What, the freedom to blast through the front of a Walgreens or mow somebody over at a crosswalk? What freedom is this taking away regular, non geriatric drivers?

>And then there's the cost of buying/maintaining yet another pos electronic gizmo.
I'll agree to this, but if Toyota implements it across their lineup you know they're going to make it cheap as fuck so they can save on assembly.
>>
It could stop the chink manace
>>
File: twingo drift.gif (2.15 MB, 372x233)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB GIF
Does it know when you're oversteering?
>>
>>21217420
Damn, I don't want to be caught up in some slant-eye race war.
>>
>>21217017
PREACH
>>
>>21217010
muslims HATE this!
>>
>>21217010
Does anyone have Webms of Chinese women slamming on the gas instead of brake? thats why this exists, plus i would not be surprised if you can select this off through the infotainment
>>
File: women lemans.webm (2.93 MB, 960x540)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
>>
>ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL IS THE BEST THING EVER!
I hope everyone even remotely like doug demuro crashes into a redwood
>>
>be brainlet
>accidentally press accelerator
>instead of immediately letting off, there’s no way you can be wrong
>double down
>slam into a store at max speed
Why do people do this
The two times where I’ve mixed up the accelerator for the brake, I felt my car lurch forward and I immediately moved my foot to the brake, and nothing happened
Am I the only one who doesn’t drive like an utter spastic?
>>
>>21217054
as a german:
>this

I work at a Bosch Service and we have a lot of shitskins driving Benz, Porsche, Bentley, Jaguar... bringing their car in after crashing into all sorts of things. All automatic and smell like fucking shit on the inside
>>
>>21217010
>bird shits on windshield, covering the sensor
>omae wa mou shindeiru
>>
>>21217604
it should have a kamikaze mode hidden in the developers menu where it downshifts and sends it when a sensor is blocked
>>
>>21217017
>ECU cuts fuel in you'ure path
What now?
>>
>>21217609
Lexus had that until people complained because they couldn't handle the fresh at 120MPH
>>
>>21217416
The freedom to suddenly accelerate.
>>
>>21217010
>anti-acceleration feature
Toyotas already have that, it's called a CVT
>>
what's the difference between denying someone full throttle and simply limiting the maximum throttle you can apply

this feature is actually a safety hazard
>>
>>21217694
The latter is a "feature" of every "Eco" button to save fuel.
>>
>>21217694
How exactly is it a safety hazard?
>>
>coming up to a stop sign
>suddenly notice a fully loaded massive truck coming FAST towards your rear uncontrollably.
>quickly press the throttle to get out of the way
>vehicle instead comes to a complete stop
>get killed
>>
File: ad_178996769.jpg (42 KB, 644x429)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>21217054
>>21217019
gr3 lol

glad to see the racist janny got triggered when i pointed out tbe rules he cherry picks. hered to his next spergout
>>
>>21217019
Kek
>>
File: rod.jpg (84 KB, 640x479)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>21217017
>>21217434
>muh cable
fags lol
>>
>>21217013
>Toyota’s new feature would gradually decelerate the vehicle when the accelerator is pressed suddenly, even if there are no obstacles out in front.
What the fuck is with Toyota and their pedals not doing what they're supposed to
>>
File: 1484235087203.gif (482 KB, 165x115)
482 KB
482 KB GIF
>>21217010
>VEHICLE DOES NOT ACCELERATE IF GAS PEDAL IS PRESSED STRONGLY

THE MOST CANCEROUS SENTENCE ON /o/

GAS THE COMPUTER NANNYS ACCELERATION WAR NOW
>>
>>21217729
>sitting in very mild traffic
>melanin-enriched individual trounces upon ye car with posthaste
>kindly yet firmly demands with an illegal firearm that you turn over your loot
>windows aren't made of bulletproof glass, your thoughts shift to your children and how they would be fatherless, as the darker-skinned fellow would surely end your life over the 15 pounds in your wallet and the only recourse is rapid acceleration
>press accelerator
>car does nothing
>get gunned down by a fucking nigger
Alternatively
>all cars are implemented with new and refreshing "Pedestrian Safety" mechanisms such as rapid braking when it detects a pedestrian or being unable to apply throttle if direction is blockaded by pedestrians
>negroes take to the streets like the pirates of old swarming the seven seas
>they surround your car and, with it being unable to comply in accordance with the Pedestrian Safety Act of 2023, demand you exit the vehicle and hand over your valuables
>get mugged and car stolen because of Toyota
You can see how this can be used. Darkies are already known to loot slow-moving tractor trailers by jumping aboard and unloading it as it moves ala pirates of the caribbean, now things are even easier because once you get out of your car, the crowd disperses and they drive away with it, waiting on the next unlucky guy to come along.
>>
File: 453664634.jpg (51 KB, 600x350)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>
File: 1524533694976.png (18 KB, 472x565)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
>>21217589
>making this mistake even once
>>
Toyota continuing its work for the new world order by taking away control of peoples cars from them

Nah, Fuck toyota
>>
>>21218098
>>21217389
This exchange perfectly illustrates how no one can have a fucking conversation about anything anymore. Both sides of the argument are populated by children living in fantasy land. Do you people even listen to yourselves? You don’t live in Somalia where black peoples are forming hoards in the streets and surrounding every Toyota they see because they heard about their new sensor. You’re not living in a world where the elderly are plowing into every corner store and Walgreens with wonton abandon. Get a fucking grip. You can’t even afford any of these new Toyota’s that would have this sensor. Go outside for chrissake
>>
>>21217010
>have all the negatives of private automobile ownership
>but now we don't even have the one positive it brings (i.e. driving)
Let's just quit while we are ahead and ban cars and invest massively into mass transit.
>>
>>21217478
>chinese
Worse, it's south korean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF35kYSV718
>>
>>21218204
>You’re not living in a world where the elderly are plowing into every corner store and Walgreens with wonton abandon
Maybe you aren't
>>
>>21217010
>making tech for "people" [citation needed] who are literally and legally unfit to operate the machine for any reason, ever, anywhere

Thanks for yet another nanny tech feature that unironically makes the road more dangerous than ever by being complicit in encouraging negligent and shitty behavior.
>>
>>21218204
>You don’t live in Somalia where black peoples are forming hoards in the streets
Sacramento, and they are forming hoards to crowd-steal from stores..
>>
>>21218235
>wonton abandon
IS THIS WHEN THEIR EATING CHINESE FOOD BUT DROP EVERYTHING TO GO PLOW INTO A WALGREENS
>>
>>21218204
>You don’t live in Somalia where black peoples are forming hoards in the streets and surrounding every Toyota they see because they heard about their new sensor.
I live in a town where jaywalking laws are unenforced and niggers frequently try to stop cars to rob drivers or just to dance in the road. Acceleration towards them causes them to step and fetch out of the way. I guarantee that this will be used as a means to carjack and "aggressively panhandle" as soon as one negro finds out and tells the others.
>>
>>21218262
>one negro finds out and tells the others
That's what jail is all about for nogs. That and buttfucking.
>>
>>21217058
just autotragic things*
>>
>>21217589
I have 3 pedals and I've never fucked up. Literal retards.
>>
>>21217010
At least Toyota knows its audience
>>21217097
>Based Toyota is going to get a lot of Weebs killed
and redpilled
>>21217189
>Mazda
Hi /r/cars
>>
>>21217759
This
>>
File: angry twingo.gif (1.99 MB, 408x277)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB GIF
>>21217010
needs a manual override
>>
>>21218320
Maybe some sort of pedal on the floor.
>>
>>21218329
something like a dip switch would do nicely
>>
>>21217010
>>21217019
>>21217020
Maybe it's on by default but you can switch it off with a button if necessary. Good or na? I might keep all the retard from hitting people. Some dumbass hit me hard when I was PARK on the side of the road and total my car. Maybe it would help retarded drivers like that.
>>
>>21218320
that's not a twingo, it's a matiz
>>
File: Ital-design-Lucciola.jpg (419 KB, 1024x768)
419 KB
419 KB JPG
>>21218375
I kept its old file name when I first downloaded it
>>
>cruising the highway in my TRD (R) Gazoo Racing (R) Edition Toyota (R) Camry (R) v6
>some homo with a wrx is trying to undertake me in the inside lane
>not on my watch
>click my downshift paddle so my CVT downshifts into low gear
>subie boi is along side me now
>I tip my fedora at him and he turns his snapback backwards
>honk... honk... honk!
>I stab the electronic throttle to the floor and nothing happens
>wrx doesn’t move either because of turbo lag but starts to pull on me
>my car is still decelerating
>a massive billowing cloud of vape pours out of the drivers window of the wrx, and envelops my windscreen
>I’m blinded and my windscreen wipers have no effect
>my nostrils are assaulted by the pungent odour of cheetos and Mountain Dew
>I spin out and crash into the median barrier
>my generation 2 Takata airbag explodes like a claymore and kills me instantly with shards of faux leather and red stitching from the steering wheel

This feature is going to get a lot of people killed
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (25 KB, 480x360)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>21218204
>You’re not living in a world where the elderly are plowing into every corner store and Walgreens with wonton abandon
Yeah I am, its referred to as "New Jersey". It also happens across the US anywhere there is a retirement community. Many stores have large rocks or concrete poles in front of the storefront, just as a defense against this shit.

>wonton abandon
>>
>>21218204
Me and the town plowed your mom with wanton abandon.
>>
>>21218858
I thought the poles were for drive thru bash-and-run nogs. Interesting. I have noticed that all walgreens have them, so does target.
>>
>>21217010
Eventually we are going to become like Japan, where by law, their fast vehicles are governed unless the internal GPS detects you are at a race track. Then all the highways will be filled with boomers forming a rolling roadblock at 60mph. Passing will be a forgotten thing.
>>
>>21218822
Anon, you have given me a great idea. Let's start a new trend. "This side towards enemy" stickers to put on steering wheel airbag cover.
>>
>>21218204
Lmao this faggot forgot all about those "block the roads" protests years ago
>>
>>21217010
Chinks are so fucking bad at driving that they muddle up the pedals
>>
>>21218822
or
>floormat holds gas pedal down
>car fucking dies
>>
>>21218883
I've noticed them at BJs and Sam's Clubs wholesale clubs. Not even close to the registers or any merch, but only around the entrance. It can't be just coincidence that 6/10 shoppers at wholesale clubs are geriatrics or soon to be geriatrics.

>>21218895
>Passing will be a forgotten thing.
Pfffffff it already is a passing thing in some parts of the US. In New Jersey, you travel faster in the right lane than you do the left
>>
Itt: /o/ commits vehicular manslaughter
>>
File: 1497320672343.webm (1.96 MB, 400x300)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB WEBM
>>21217019
How DARE you insinuate that keeping your CAR to yourself is more important than PEDESTRIAN LIVES! Just one more reason why private car ownership is problematic in today's world.
>>
>>21218980
"Property is more important than human life" is exactly why America will always live in the shadow of slavery, and consequently why racism will be its undoing.
>>
>>21218224
I agree with this in major cities. Automobiles are a necessity for rural life.
>>
>>21219015
No, anon, sucking up to the eternal jew and not keeping nogs in their place will be our undoing, if it ever happens. I think we'll pull out of this downturn, however.
>>
>>21219015
Define human
>>
>>21219015
fuck you, marxist. you are wrong and will lose.
>>
>>21218980
Woah it's like I'm actually reading a SA post
>>
>>21219111
>>21219015
>>21219076
>>21219080
>Samefagging this hard
>>
>>21217010
Good feature for old fucks that have no business on the road anyway.
>>
>>21217010
Wouldn’t this be a problem when trying to overtake someone?
>>
>>21218260
>sensible chuckle.gif
>>
>>21218346
Based mini poster
>>
>>21221198
>toyota
>overtaking
>>
>>21217019
Based
>>
>>21217013
This is also a thing with 70s cars with shitty carbs.
>>
>>21217388
those dumb people plow into us good people
>>
>>21217401
are you special ? do you not know Toyota has American plants?
>>
>>21218204
welcome to four che . please be patient and someone will be right with you. can I get you something to drink ?
>>
>tyrone stands in front of the car while jamal throws you out of it

nice
>>
>>21217010
They just need to take nanaw's license instead.
>>
File: pretending.jpg (89 KB, 1081x566)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>21224526
>Ministry
>>
File: sanandreas2_2.jpg (213 KB, 660x347)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
>>21227048
>>
>>21217013
does it come with a cuck cage?
>>
>>21219015
based anon making monkeys mad with common sense
>>
>>21227142
>DON TAK DIS PURSNOW, BUT U GETTIN JAKT
>>
>literally an optional feature you have to pay for
>aimed at elderly people
Why is this an issue again?
Even if this becomes mandatory, anyone who cares about cars would simply disable it at a tuning shop.
>>
>>21217691
underrated
>>
>>21228442
>Why is this an issue again?
Because it's a fucking safety hazard, and you better believe that if it becomes mandatory you're not passing inspections if you disable it.
>>
File: wrong pedal jpg.jpg (43 KB, 728x546)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>accidents caused by mix-ups between the accelerator and brake pedal
>if the gas is mistakenly pressed
How does one actually press the wrong pedal? Even in my third world country where the norm is 3 pedals, the notion of pressing the wrong pedal is as alien as turning the steering wheel the wrong way or forgetting how to control a bicycle. Asians seems to have a terrible fetish for saving face, so one is inclined to think this mixup of the pedals is an excuse for not paying attention in the slightest when driving.
>>
>>21218530
>lucciola
poor naming choice for an italian car since lucciola is also slang for prostitute
>>
>>21228184
>>21227142

based sanandreasposting
>>
>>21217010
Not ever gonna buy a car like that.
If I'm ever in a situation where non-white rioters or looters, or criminal motorcyclists of any race are blocking me off and threatening my life, I need to be able to run them over in self defense.
>>
>amerisharts manage to mix up TWO pedals
>>
This should be mandatory for every girl driving a car.
>>
>>21217589
I'm with you, but I can also feel the physical difference between the pedals.
it also helps I'm not a geriatric fucked up on Xanax. I don't think the problem is that these people are old but perhaps that they are heavily medicated.
>>
>>21217010
Americans suddenly able to shop in small stores again, without the threat of Granny stomping on the gas and ram-raiding the shop?
>>
>>21230040
>busriding euroshit can't handle any pedals
That'll be a £300 fine for thinking about driving.
>>
>>21217486
4 times late for braking, how the fuck does that happen?
>>
>>21217013
Corolla looks like THAT??
>>
>>21217065
I don't want some normie to rear end my pristine 80s wedge. Normies deserve it
>>
File: tenor.gif (834 KB, 320x480)
834 KB
834 KB GIF
>>21217691
Based and red pilled
>>
>>21217019
so buy car where you can turn it off, like in Honda
>>
Can't wait until cars become hackable
>>
>>21231362
U wot?
https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/
>>
>>21217010
>driving aids
Why is it that cars come with female features like these, yet no male features, unless it's behind paywall and taxwalls?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.