[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Auto-46.jpg (549 KB, 1000x1000)
549 KB
549 KB JPG
A dedicated thread to ask all your automotive related questions that are either short or doesn't necessarily require a thread for itself. Also known as SQT.

A few tips -
>Google your Question to see if anyone else has asked the same question before. On most cases, yes.
>Ask your Question on specialized General Threads that relates to the subject of your query.
>Find unanswered questions and answer them if you can.

Take Care and Drive/Ride Safe!

Previous Thread - >>21185855
>>
File: EBzMQF6UEAA1B_6.jpg (42 KB, 500x437)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
what car is this
>>
>>21212052
Going to look at a Saab today guys. 800 on it and all its missing is a serpentine belt and it has an exhaust leak. Any advice? Im going to try to jew him down to 600.
>>
>>21212207
Bring a belt and a wrench with you and put it on so you can test drive it and see if that’s really the only issue.
>>
>>21212366
Thats the plan I have one coming in at 1. He did admit that the top motor is broke and he has it able to be put down manually. Which though not good isn't a deal breaker.
>>
>>21212091
Looks like the first gen Celica Liftback.
>>
File: 1535763691985.png (23 KB, 128x111)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
Wrench newfag here, I want to do a compression test on my engine, i know from the FSM I need a 16 mm socket to grab the sparkplugs but I know nothing about what size compression test adaptor to thread into the hole after i remove the plugs

The plugs are PFR6B-11 which are thread diam: 14mm and thread length: 19mm according to the NGK manual. Don't i need to know the thread pitch too?

The compression test kit i'm looking at has: "Adapters for a wide number of vehicles (straight, angled, M10, M12, M18)"

wtf does M10, M12, M18 mean
>>
>>21212091
Fiero with a bodykit

Or mazda rx2 depending on perspective
>>
>>21212531
The M10, M12 are the thread sizes. So does that kit have an M14 adapter?
>>
>>21212585
Doesn't seem like it

Shouldn't i be worried about the length as well, if its too long the piston might slap into it, right? and if the pitch is wrong it'll fuck up my threads.
>>
>>21212606
Those plugs are M14 x 1.25 I think, but there aren’t that many types of spark plugs so I doubt you’re going to find a compression tester kit with a different pitch M14 adapter.

Don’t worry about clearance, the adapters don’t go into the head nearly as far as a spark plug so that’s not an issue.

Find a kit with M14 adapters, most of them have that size, it’s odd the kit you picked skipped over that.
>>
>>21212052
I think I posted in the last one or the one before it. 1994 Ford Bronco, factory 5 speed. Same as the F150.

The truck is lifted, so I won't be needing to put jack stands on it or anything. I secured a transmission jack. Is there any reason the manuals all state to remove the transfer case when replacing a clutch? I saw a video of a guy doing it, but just because one person was successful doesn't mean there wasn't information not given.

Also, I will be replacing the flywheel. I've never done a feat such as this. Most I've ever done was swap out the rear axle and redo the drum brakes on this same truck. Then let a friend drive it while we were drinking and he burned up the clutch.

Is this something I could probably take on having only done some engine work and an axle swap?
>>
If I buy a 155k 08 Impreza as a daily, will I regret it? The guy says the head gaskets have been done and the timing belt was replaced at 100k.
>>
How do I fix rust in my wheel wells?
Can I make it look stock?
Should I just fix the rust with bondo fibreglass and then have it repainted and touched up at a body shop?
>>
>>21212091
70s Toyota Celica
>>
>>21213253
I think I responded to you earlier I'm the dude wit the F150. They probably tell you to do it because it's heavy as fuck, and taking it off makes it easier to move the transmission back, on my f150 its not entirely necessary, but it makes moving the transmission around easier.

Removing fly wheel will likely require a flywheel wrench, or a socket/breaker bar on the Jesus bolt on the front of the engine, overall it should be about as difficult as an axle swap.
>>
>>21213830

i just use POR-15. grind away any flaking pieces leaving a bit of surface rust then POR-15 it all. did the entire frame and undersides of my cars this year, worked awesome
>>
>>21213830
The only way of getting rid of cancer is by cutting it off.
>>
Is it safe to buy the chink car cleaning products like the clay bars and wax through Aliexpress?
>>
>>21213950
Yeah, dont buy chinkshit.
>>
I’m getting a weird whine for about half a second when I’m accelerating past 4k rpm, sounds like it’s coming from the rear right hand corner of the interior. Anyone have any ideas?
>>
File: IMG_4671.jpg (95 KB, 1140x814)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
Can anyone Identify this car?
It's relevant to a local news incident that happened today.
>>
File: suspect-vehicle.jpg (124 KB, 770x433)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>21215036
Front of car.
>>
>>21215039
>>21215036
Okay after more digging I discovered a it's a Maserati GranTurismo, possibly a MC Stradale.
What the fuck is a man who can afford to drive one of those things doing suiciding by cop?
>>
>>21215121
Maybe it was stolen?
>>
>>21215121
Maybe he lost all his monies and his beloved Maserati was going to get repo’d
>>
My area has ~2 months where the temp swings between 20-40F. Maybe 1-2 light snows that stick for a day or 2 per winter.
Can I run summer tires year round or should I get a second set of tires (maybe all seasons) to run through the “winter”?
>>
What cheap off-roader should I get? I am tempted by the new Jimmy, and can afford it (cash) but my dad always told me new cars were a waste of money.
I would use it occasionally in the city, but mostly I want something to get out in the mountains for fun on weekends.
I live in Chile, if that makes any difference.
>>
>>21215291
For context, the new Jimny is about 17k here.
A used previous generation is not that much cheaper, maybe 12k.
>>
>>21215174
Do you live in the Southeastern US? Just run summer tires all year round, stock up on necessities and call into work when inclement weather happens. It all turns into ice and winter tires are not justifiably effective on ice especially when it only happens at most 4 days a year.
>>
I have had some spare sensors sitting in my trunk all summer long in their original packaging, am I fucking them up for letting them get warm
>>
>>21215666
what type of sensors
>>
I have an 01 Grand Marquis and whenever I turn my lights on the voltage goes down. Both the battery and alternator are fine, and there isn't corrosion on the terminals. any idea what is the problem?
>>
>>21215666

trunks hardly get warm, besides engine bay is warm. theyre fine

>>21216170

as long as its still charging at 13.9-14.7ish volts, doesnt matter. headlights draw voltage from the battery
>>
>>21212052
So I drove my car (1995 Camry) with the handbrake on for about 5-10 kilometers before I released it. How much did I fuck up? I park at an incline near my apartment and i checked if the car is moving and I didn't see any movement. But I fear it might roll off and crash it something.

If it is of any use, the car has ran about 250k miles.
>>
Would running my air intake through an intercooler cool down the air being pulled in? Dunno if that makes sense.
>>
>>21216474
Yes but its almost absolutely unnecessary on a NA set up.
>>
File: Cylinder-head.jpg (171 KB, 640x480)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
I've been told to dunk my head in Apple cider vinegar for 24h to de-gunk, de-rust and clean it.
Any trouth behind this?
>>
>>21216775
Never heard of it. Hotwash and sandblaster works well for me but i understand not everyone has access to those
>>
File: jimmy.jpg (173 KB, 1280x960)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
First off I know very little about vehicles. I have a '93 jimmy. The cruise control cable snapped. For the life of me I cannot find a new one online through google or ebay. I cant even find out what the part number is. Am I doomed to be cruise control-less now?

Also my fuel pump and starter control module keep going out on me. I've had the fuel pump replaced 4 times and the starter module 3 times. What is causing this?

My guess is either cheap chinese parts or that there is an electrical short somewhere. Maybe my mechanic is bad, but since that stuff is under warranty it doesnt cost me to have them fix it. I asked them to check the electrical system for a short and put in a new alternator the last time, thinking maybe it was sending wonky voltage out, and that worked for about 6 months before it broke down again.

Even though they will fix it for free it's still frustrating though I lose the truck for a week and have to pay $100 for a tow, and $50 for a lyft ride.
>>
>>21216782
I have a karcher and that's the closest I can get
>>
>>21213677
It will have oil leaks and the belts should be done at 80k afaik. Unless you mean km. Other than that, no they are decent.
>>
>>21215291
Its about your only option desu. One of the few new cars I am considering buying fwiw
>>
>>21216775
I would just dunk it into bucket of "rust remover" and let it sit for a week.
>>
>>21216791
If it can do soap chuck some degreaser in there, that will deal with most of the gunk. Wire wheel after will do the trick. Dont use a flappy wheel or sand it though.
>>
>>21216474
No. The intake air is already at ambient air temp, so running it through an intercooler at ambient air temp will do absolutely nothing. It works on turbo cars because the air warms up above ambient air temps after you compress it.
>>
Does 4800 canuck bucks sound like a good deal for a 2004 grand marquis with 98k on it?
>>
>>21216170
Make better grounds, look into "the big three" even then it will still dim some, its pretty normal.
>>
>>21216790
I think its 15693481
https://www.gmautopartsnationwide.com/oem-parts/gm-throttle-cable-15693481?

Its a 93, not surprised it would have an electrical problem or 2
>>
I have a 2008 Volkswagen Jetta S, and yesterday I noticed my rear passenger side brake was leaking fluid (new caliper and pads). I took off my tire, and the bottom caliper boot was damaged and unseated. I put it back where it was supposed to be and topped off my fluid as a bandaid. It's leaking again this morning. Is it the rubber boot's fault?
>>
My brakes squeak (not really a screeching noise) midway through the pedal travel but light braking and heavy braking they are fine

Do i need new pads?
>>
File: 1555884773069.jpg (113 KB, 1268x648)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>Top speed increase to 174mph
>2,619.11 EUR

What did Audi mean by this?
>>
>>21217395
Removing the limiter
>>
>>21217333
No. Calipers arent supposed to leak fluid from behind the boot. Your caliper is fucked.
>>
>>21217333
Yes
>>21217394
Possibly, they have a little spring that touches the rotor and causes that squealing sound when low. Alternately they may just need to be cleaned and regreased. The squealing is caused by vibrations which occur when pads cant slide freely.
>>
My car is a cheap VW with a 5-speed. I tried to practice rev matching for downshifting, but it does not seem to help anything. Am i doing it wrong or is it because my car has terrible rev hang? It’s even worse when i’m just upshifting. I like going fast but it feels so lurchy. Is easing off the clutch bad for it? Any other tips for making it less lurchy?
>>
>>21217483
You are obviously not doing it properly. Unironically watch youtube tutorials, then practice practice practice. Eventually it becomes second nature
>>
>>21217447
Why do you have to come in here giving bad information?
>>21217457
Further, dont try and slip the clutch when shifting, its a bad habit
>>
>>21217525
Meant for
>>21217483
Sigh
>>
>>21212207
Oh I should add on this things heres a pic of the engine bay. I guess my question is will that "cold air intake" be breathing in hot air where its sitting. I won't lie the more I look at this car is scares me to buy.
>cold air intake
>spoiler from a saab 9-5
>crack on bottom of bumper thingy
>Not original grill trim piece
>rough interior
Its like somebody tried to rice it out before me
>>
File: 1558453888676.png (2.21 MB, 974x1375)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB PNG
>'85 300zx
>just replaced both clutch cylinders and bypassed clutch damper
When releasing the clutch from the floor there's a lot of force that slowly gets lighter until the pedal feels like it almost gets stuck halfway in its travel, then suddenly right before the bite point, all the pressure comes back. Is this normal, or do I need to make some adjustments/bleed the system better?
For reference, there's roughly 7 inches total travel in the clutch, about 4 inches of dead travel from the floor to the bite point, about 2.5 inches in the "slip zone", then another 0.5 inch of play at the top.
>>
>>21217394
>>21217457
Semi metallic pads can do this shit too, some brands worse than others.
>>
>>21217525
>Why do you have to come in here giving bad information?

I feel like this is sarcasm, yes?
>>
>>21217631
Try bleeding it again.
>>
Hi all, and thanks in advance for your expertise.

I just took my car in to the shop because the AC was very intermittent—it would be cool, hot, cool, then hot again. They said it probably needed a recharge and when they finished, they claimed it was all good and the AC was blowing cold.

However when I actually drove away the AC was only warm, and when I took it back, they said that everything seemed fine and there didn’t seem to be anything out of place. They checked everything and power was getting everywhere, and then they recharged it again but it didn’t blow cold anymore. Then they quoted me for a blown compressor, but that was way more expensive than I had prepared for so I could not have taken that repair.

My question is, could there be any other solution that maybe we’re overlooking? Any common issues involving a compressor that doesn’t seem to work right after a recharge, should I get a second opinion? I don’t think they would have lied about the AC blowing cold, so it seems like it would have worked in the shop but didn’t immediately after I left.
>>
>>21217842
Man the fuck up and roll the windows down?
>>
i had a small accident in my jaguar x type facelift saloon.
Can i fit parts (front fender hood&bumper) from a pre-facelift x-type jag to my facelifted x type?
>>
2016 Accord EXL with 30k miles for $20k or base 2006 LS430 with 60k miles for $15k
>>
>>21218136
Civic. 120k miles. $3k
>>
>>21212052
I often see videos of people drag racing and hitting the rev limiter for ultra long periods of time before upshiffting (like staying in 1st for 3 seconds or someting)

What's the reason for this?
>>
>>21216836
Damn, alright thanks
>>
>>21217972
You need to tell us what year is yours.
>>
File: o7TOxn.gif (2.03 MB, 320x240)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB GIF
I told the guy the car was too beat up for me to want and he said he would take 500 for it. If I jew him down to 300 is it worth it guys?
>>
max you would pay for a 2017 mustang gt premium used? 8k miles
>>
>>21218724
What the hell are you trying to do? A CAI may help (if you get a good one, not some ebay tube telling you to rip out the stock air box) but the car’s computer is set up to work with the stock intake so intake and exhaust only start to help with real power once you get a tune set up for an engine that can breathe better.

The intercooler will probably only hurt on an NA engine. You would be restricting the airflow if anything, and the only way it would cool intake temps is if your car has some retarded intake pulling air from next to the exhaust manifold, and even then, rerouting the intake (or a badass ram air system) would be a better bet.

Bottom line, intercoolers aren’t chilling the air any cooler than ambient air temp. Get down on a water-methanol injection instead.
>>
whats the best website to buy 90s-00s era JDM shift knobs?
doesn't have to be genuinely from that era just cool looking/clean, google only gives bubble/samurai sword trash bullshit
>>
>>21213899
Thanks. You did respond earlier. Since I have a 1/2 ton transmission jack I'm not too worried about it. I was thinking of taking the driveshaft off the back of the transfer case, keeping it on the axle. Then from there(after the shifters) it's just crossmember and bell housing, pull back, swap, and put back together. Gonna get started tonight.

Thing was the axle swap as a whole wasn't difficult. More just frustrating due to rust and lack of proper tools. Now I have proper tools and rust isn't so bad there. however, it does appear there's quite a bit of leakage under there, so maybe some gasket replacements are in order.
>>
>>21219237
>I was thinking of taking the driveshaft off the back

Not sure what you mean by this but drive shaft is splined into the transfer case, you'll have to unbolt it off the differential yoke and slide it out to pull the transfer case.
>>
Bought a truck a year ago and had some guy pull out in front of me today while driving. Truck is very new and would be worth a pretty penny if it got written off. Damage is concentrated in front passenger side mostly on bumper and fender.
Is there any way to encourage the body shop to write off the truck?
>>
>>21214957
Can anyone answer this?
>>
File: 1565762770717.png (619 KB, 1080x1331)
619 KB
619 KB PNG
got a toyota yaris vvti 2018 as a gift, it's my first car, anything in particular I should lookout for?
>>
>>21219006
Yahoo auctions
>>
I was replacing the thermostat bypass hose in my 07 explorer 4.0. It was leaking.

I had to remove the whole thermostat housing for this because there was no other way to do it. I drained out the coolant so that I could do the job, replaced the hose, put everything back together and poured coolant back in.

The first time I started the car, some bolts on the thermostat housing weren't tightened enough so it was leaking a bit of coolant. No big deal, I tightened them and started the car again. Now the car runs like shit and throws a misfire code on cylinder 1. What the fuck is going on? How fucked am I? Did I blow the headgasket somehow?
>>
Anyone have any good tips for installing rubber grommets in firewall passthroughs? It's hard to reach and right near the gas tank so I can't really heat them up. I've tried KY and I'm getting ready to try vaseline. I'm getting really frustrated and was just wondering what has worked best for you in the past.
>>
>>21212366
>Bring a belt and a wrench with you and put it on so you can test drive it
Before you do that Anon, if you can reach the pulleys, verify they can turn. No point in putting a belt on if the AC/PS/ALT/WP are seized up and just gonna destroy the belt anyway. And check any idler pulleys. If the bearings are shot it will most likely throw the belt.
>>
>>21214957
>Anyone have any ideas?
Locate if there is a speaker back there. Disconnect it and see if the sound goes away.
If no speakers, then it may be a component or body panel that is resonating with engine rpm that needs some dampening.
>>
>>21215134
>Maybe he lost all his monies
I'd go with this. Depending on what he was doing he may have thought the cop wasn't going to do shit.
>>
>>21216448
>How much did I fuck up?
As long as you didn't stop and use the parking brake while the rear brakes were hotter than normal, you should be fine. If you parked and set the brake while the rear brakes were hot you could transfer an excess amount of brake material to the rotor/drum. This would cause a raised spot that you would feel in the brake pedal as a pulsation when braking.
>>
>>21216775
>Any trouth behind this?
Yup. Vinegar will remove corrosion from most materials. Just check before hand as some base metals may react with the vinegar.
Let it sit and then you will have to scrub off the corrosion.
>>
>>21219558
Whine isnt all that descriptive. Is it a low pitched droning sound? A high pitched metal on metal whine. Only present on acceleration not braking or coasting?
>>
>>21219816
Push one side in, then the other
>>
File: thonk.png (12 KB, 243x243)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
If turbo and supercharge = compressed air
Why not have compressors and reservoir tanks and run off that instead?
>>
>>21220032
Do you have room for a 50-100 gallon air reservoir on the back of you car? Because thats what a high performance car can go through in matter of minutes.

Also what do you think NOS bottles are for?
>>
>>21216790
>The cruise control cable snapped.
Did the cable itself snap or did the plastic end break off?
Those retainers can be replaced and they do break from time to time. If it is always breaking then there may be an issue with the cable or throttle body causing too much tension. Cable end is plastic.
>Also my fuel pump and starter control module keep going out on me. I've had the fuel pump replaced 4 times and the starter module 3 times. What is causing this?
Module?
These trucks don't have a fuel pump module, they have a fuel pump relay and the pump itself. Highly unlikely the fuel pumps are failing, unless your tank is full of junk, then it needs to be boiled out or replaced. If the original wire harness connector has overheated the connector is probably in need of replacement. A burnt connector is a high resistance connection, which becomes a constant problem. Voltage at the relay input/output and fuel pump connector needs to be verified.

No starter module either. A bad alternator will prevent starting due to the ECM not allowing the engine to start if it senses a bad alternator, but doubtful of that.

Ignition control module is in the distributor, these can go bad from excessive heat, or if replaced the correct heat sink compound isn't added between the module and the distributor housing. It needs to be cleaned, put a nice layer down and then bolt the module down. But the module can be killed by bad grounds, or a failing pickup coil.
Easiest way to determine if the pickup coil is failing. Start the engine, it runs smooth, warmed up in closed loop, still smooth. Go drive around in traffic and get a bit of heat soak, the truck has a bit of a rougher idle, not quite a miss but you can feel it. That is most likely a dying ignition pickup coil. Most people can't diagnose it or will blame the distributor as a whole.
Only use AC DELCO for ignition electronics.

Brittle, loose, corroded connectors can cause problems as well, have these checked.
>>
File: Picture_4.png (67 KB, 249x196)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
>>21220074
Actually yes, no one rides in the rear seats
Or the passenger seat
>>
>>21217563
>Its like somebody tried to rice it out before me
Seems like a boi racer.
Those conical air filters can be a bigger restriction than factory filters.
If you can install the factory air box or get one for cheap that would be the first 'mod'.
>>
>>21217631
Verify the clutch pedal is properly adjusted. Usually the pedal rod into the CMC will have some adjustment, verify it is correct or not loose.
>>
>>21219816
>installing rubber grommets in firewall passthroughs?
Dish washing liquid soap.
Not too much or your hands will be slipping all over the place, just put it on the lip that is going to slide through and the hole lip itself
>>
>>21219808
>What the fuck is going on?
Verify you didn't knock a wire connector off, broke a sensor, or that you didn't forget to reinstall a ground wire.
>>
>>21219874
It might be a speaker because the direction of the sound is coming exactly from where one of the rear speakers is.
>>21219961
It’s like a very brief high pitched whine that only comes as I’m revving past 4k, if I’m before 4k or after 4k I never hear it. It’s also inconsistent, some days I hear it, some days I don’t
>>
>>21220167
Thanks I'll give that a shot. Conventional wisdom would say that if KY and Vaseline aren't working soap probably won't either, but at this point I'll try anything.

>>21219968
Weirdly this actually did make me think of something new to try, so thank you even though you were being le ebin funny man.
>>
File: 127585595191.jpg (127 KB, 800x600)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>21212052
>>21212052
would a 3 inch cat flow and filter more than a 2.5 inch cat?

im sure the volume inside and media is the same but volume of exhaust passing thru
>>
Shpuld I switch from drum to disc in a street application?
>>
Would putting Honda badges over the Acura badges on my Integra be autistic? It’s not a JDM build or anything, I just like the Honda logo better aesthetically.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.04 MB, 1284x740)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PNG
What's a fair offer for this early 90's(?) Esprit? It's pretty rough, sitting for a year, and the rare as fuck tires are flat. Hasn't moved in a year. Is it even worth anything if it's flooded or has no title?

The Lotus Esprit ranks up there among my dream cars, and I feel like I'll never see an earlier model without having to buy a showroom restoration. I nearly slammed on my brakes in the middle of the street when I drove by.
>>
>>21220517
yes
>>21220527
do it if it makes you happy, haters gonna hate regardless
>>21220634
looks like a shit heap m8 but if it makes you happy just leave a note on the windshield

had similar shit heap z32 i spent thousands on to just end up junking since nobody wanted it with a blown motor, got that car off my bucket list. now i smile every time i see one running which is rare
>>
>>21220634
Scrap Value, you'd probably have to put in about 10 grand to get it running.
>>
>>21220501
>Conventional wisdom would say that if KY and Vaseline aren't working soap probably won't either,
KY is water based, not really a good lubricant with rubber, vaseline is also not really good as a lubricant in this instance.
Both feel good on your junk, not so useful on grommets and steel.

>>21220452
>It might be a speaker because the direction of the sound is coming exactly from where one of the rear speakers is.
Check your vehicles grounds. It may be some transient voltage that is somehow being picked up by the speaker. If its an aftermarket radio, check the connections and that it is properly grounded.
>>
Im gonna be seeing a car tomorrow and i want to get it on the highway to do get a decent test drive. Only problem is i don't know the area too good. Is there a setting for a gps or an app that will get me the on best route to just do a loop around back to where I started
>>
>>21220648
Thanks, my head was still coming out of the clouds. I really want an Esprit, but unless I can get it for almost nothing, I might be better off waiting until I can pay cash for a restored unit.
>>
>>21220510
>would a 3 inch cat flow and filter more than a 2.5 inch cat?
Would depend on the brand.
Some cheap catalysts flow worse than a factory unit. But everything the same, a 3" would flow more. Also, catalysts don't filter, they are catalysts.
>>
>>21220634
>What's a fair offer for this early 90's(?) Esprit?
Ask them how much will they give you to take it off their hands. Espirits are nice, until they aren't. You really need to know these cars or where to get the parts. Otherwise it is a severe black hole of money.
>>
>>21220755
>best route to just do a loop around back to where I started
Just look at a map and figure it out, not too hard.
Google maps, mapquest, all sorts of online maps that will allow you to figure out a route.
>>
>>21220755
How hard is it to keep track of landmarks?
>>
is it possible to find car models of previous years that are still new? i've always wondered what happens if the cars of a year don't get sold and a new year model is coming up.
>>
>>21220798
>is it possible to find car models of previous years that are still new?
Yup.
>i've always wondered what happens if the cars of a year don't get sold and a new year model is coming up.
It's bad for a car to have a birthday on a lot.
If it is a same body/model as the new ones, then they just get discounted.
If it is the previous generation, it may get decent discount just to move it.
If it is just an undesirable color or weirdly optioned, then it may just end up in wholesale to be rid of it.
>>
>>21220754
>Check your vehicles grounds. It may be some transient voltage that is somehow being picked up by the speaker. If its an aftermarket radio, check the connections and that it is properly grounded.
It’s stock; is it really possible for that to only happen at 4k rpm?
>>
Debating between getting a 2013 Civic or a 2014 Corolla (have driven the latter before and like it quite a bit). Both have similar mileage on them, virtually the same price (seriously only a few hundred dollars difference), etc. Which car would /o/ suggest? For what it's worth it'll be my first car.
>>
Anybody have that glue guide for different materials handy? Just wondering what kind is best for metal to glass.
>>
>>21220901
Both are very boring in the modern era. In the segment I'd go focus or fiesta, between the two civic.
>>
>>21217082
>>21220099
Thank you both. as for
>>21220099
Ill bring a notepad with these points to my mechanic and ask if he thinks it could by any of this. Ill have to find a tactful way though, i hear they are a prideful bunch and don't like being given suggestions by someone like me who is completely unknowledgeable.
>>
are 2006 mazda 3 sport or hyundai elantras decent first cars?

not many civic's around my parts but there is a boat load of mazdas and hyundais
>>
>>21221034
>i hear they are a prideful bunch and don't like being given suggestions
Usually fucking idiots are like that.
Fuel pump shouldn't be dying/failing. Unless they are using super cheap shit. Even then the part shouldn't fail so quickly. Find out if they are replacing the fuel pump assembly or just the pump motor. If it's just the motor, they are probably fucking up the install.
>>
>>21221045
Elantra's are pieces of shit. Mazda's of that era weren't the greatest, but if you find a rust free one, its going to be a helluva lot more reliable than the Elantra.
>>
>>21220901
Honda automatics are trash, if you go Civic make sure its manual.
>>
>>21220882
>stock; is it really possible for that to only happen at 4k rpm?
If the vehicle is older, then it could be the choke(capacitor) to filter out the noise from the alternator, or possibly ignition(if it has an older type distributor) could be the cause.
Engine rpm hits a certain frequency that causes noise that the radio picks up.
Older GM HEI systems have a small capacitor as part of the ignition module harness, its inside the distributor under the timing plate.
Ford usually has it mounted to the VR on external VR vehicles.
Radio itself may have a capacitor as well.
Without knowing year/make/model it can be hard to suggest where to look.
>>
File: 31a3TZiEHPL.jpg (12 KB, 500x375)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
Is 51cm long enough to confortably work on an engine?
>>
>>21221100
I mean is it long enough to confortable apply 100nm+ without using a braker bar
>>
>>21221103
Probably, but why would you do that when a breaker bar of the same length is cheaper?
>>
>>21221109
I'm worried I'd de-adjust the tourque wrench by fitting a bar on the end
>>
File: DSC950176.jpg (417 KB, 2592x1462)
417 KB
417 KB JPG
I need to repair rust on both rear quarters of my car. They make replacement panels for $25/side, but they don't cover as much area as I need. I'd still need to have some metal welded in between the replacement panel and the body. Or, I can go cut the size of the quarters I need off a parts car for 400, or just buy the whole shell for 900. I'd prefer to spend as little as possible while getting rid of the rust. What would be the better option? Pic related
>>
>>21221126
Mate thats fucked
If you have access to a rust free shell, buy it and swap your stuff over
>>
Maybe this deserves its own thread but if I can get it answered here, so be it:

What are the penalties for drivers/teams in F1/FE for going off track completely (spinning out), and what is the penalty for cutting a corner? I understand that tyres may become so coated in debris that traction is impacted (might even impact the track for other racers?) and that spinning out may stress the suspension in such an excessive way that it won't handle like it should. But apart from it being a bit self-punishing, surely there are rules against it with punishment associated?
>>
>>21218475
If the wheels are still slipping you can be limiter bashing while still accelerating
>>
>>21218872
This is a no namefag thread. Unless you are that nippon guy, hes cool
>>
>>21221255
Exceeding track limits and gaining an advantage (last bit is important) is usually a 10sec penalty, unless you are hammo/max. Intentionally cutting a corner is met with disqualification.
>>
File: 1510271314054.png (52 KB, 657x527)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
An/o/ns, I have a 98 v6 Mustang automatic (yes yes, I know) with an intermittent no crank issue. It will start up no problem one hour, and a couple hours later it will not crank at all and it might start again later, and then it might not start at all for days, then start up again like nothing. No clicking sounds, nothing at all. Battery terminals are clean, new battery, new starter. I had to replace those parts anyways, but I'm hesitant to start doing random work on it that won't fix shit. What could cause this? Also, the problem started after I cleaned the terminals on the old battery. It had a lot of corrosion from months of not cleaning it. I usually clean it regularly, but I got lazy. Never gave me issues though, so I had no reason to clean it. But after I cleaned it, this intermittent no crank issue started. Not worth spending hundreds more on car. Considering junking it and selling the battery and starter since they are new and warrantied with generic receipts anyone can use. Could get 300 to 500 total. Car probably worth 800 if it runs anyways. I'm just broke and don't want to be bus rider again. What do?
>>
File: 1561577659018.webm (381 KB, 640x360)
381 KB
381 KB WEBM
>>21221255
>>21221296
Yeah, if the driver doesn't gain an advantage or if they do but immediately give up the advantage (like letting a car they pass, pass them back) and the manoeuvre wasn't dangerous, it usually won't be penalized.
>>
>>21221353
Relay? I had something similar with a newer Ferd, there was a little button in the ignition, part of the anti-theft system I believe, and the button was made of plastic that got worn down so you had to push the key in real hard to contact the button and make the car start. But that was a 2008, not sure how long they used that ignition system. Sound like you have a loose contact somewhere.
>>
>>21221296
Intentionally going through an S like a dollar sign strikethrough would be DQ, but something like being too aggressive and maybe losing traction such that you turn harder into the corner and end up crossing it a bit is not an instant DQ?

Thank you guys so much for this. I'm becoming very interested in the sport.
>>
I'm looking to buy my first car in the next few weeks. In my area of Leafland, I've found a 2008 civic EX-L and a 2007 Camry, both with roughly the same kms (~200k kms), and both for $4000 CAD. Which is the better purchase? Any other cars to look out for?
>>
>>21220501
>so thank you even though you were being le ebin funny man.

I wasn't.
>>
>>21220771
Theres gonna be some highway driving so how do you keep track of land marks? Especially when I literally want to go in a circle
>>
>>21221502
Make 3 left turns
>>
>>21220130
Yeah a boyracer had it before the boomer who owned it. That intake ate the original belt away actually
>>21221280
It doesn't matter away it wasn't worth 300 aside from being a parts car. No brakes and no power. It was really rough in person
>>
Are the gen 1/2 Dodge Viper's any good?
>>
>>21220174
I wiggled some of the wires around cylinder 1 and the car started up fine. Thanks a lot. I'm trying to into diy car repair but I was worried i fucked up something major.

I did snap a bolt though
>>
>>21219510
It's up to insurance not the body shop. Bumper and fender damage sounds like a repair not a write-off though.
>>
I had an AC problem in my Mazda 3 '12 where the driver vents were blowing warm air and the passenger side was cool but not really. I had someone replace the blend door actuator on driver's side but the problem didn't go away. Would putting in freon help or is this some other problem?
>>
>>21221657
Yes
>>
>>21217033
How do you verify the effectiveness of a ground?
>>
File: 1509734373733.jpg (2.45 MB, 2560x1707)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
I have a 2010 honda fit with 86k miles. Recently it has been shifting really hard from 2 to 3rd any ideas?
>>
>>21222036
What type of tranny dipshit
>>
>>21222065
Auto
>>
>>21222069
Honestly there's not much more you can do than change the oil. Give it a shot, see what happens.
>>
>>21222036
>>21222069
You've never changed the trans fluid or filter have you.
>>
I bought my first car and I'm trying to learn about things and what needs fixing. First thing I started noticing is a squeaky noise from the front left side. It squeaks when I push it up and down.

Can I determine what needs replacing from just this? Ball joints or bushings maybe?
>>
Fellow /o/ntario car owners, would you trust a car passing the safety inspection as being in decent to good condition?
>>
>>21221170
There's 0 rust underbody, clean interior, and clean exterior sans all this Honda rot. I have a lot of friends who do body work I can have weld all the new metal to. Mostly just want this particular one fixed. So realistically, a few thousand?
>>
>>21218754
2009-10 one of the last ones of the type to be manufactured
>>
Is a used 996 with high mileage worth it for 30-45k assuming it's been taken care of properly?
>>
File: JPEG_20190104_163939.jpg (3.76 MB, 4032x3024)
3.76 MB
3.76 MB JPG
Anyone know the correct front door speaker size for a Silverado 1998 truck?

I cant seem to find a consistent answer online. I just want to slap some regular old speakers in the front. No nigger speakers that rattle the car, no subwoofer or nothing. Any help?

Pic related my truck
>>
>>21222539
ive had two friends buy 2nd hand porches and they bitched how they break down every month.
Have heard some hear-say about that 2nd hand porches are all cancer and that they overall age very badly.
Still its just some random shit i picked up nothing concrete.
>>
>>21222852
Aren't porsches supposed to be reliable?
>>
What car should I get? I'm moving on from an old civic with vtec because it's getting too expensive to maintain compared tp what it's worth. I'm looking for a cheap reliable shitbox that is at least a little fun. What should I get?
>>
I see a lot of auto Hondas in my area, mainly late 90s - early 00s. Usually the Honda tax is not nearly as bad as Toyota tax around here so would like to try and pick one of those up. I see all kinds of info saying the tranny issues was just their v6, or it was only the accords but the civics are fine.

Does anyone know when exactly Honda fixed the auto tranny problems they had? Or what generation to try and stay away from
>>
>>21223114
The main problem was in the accords, but the 6th and 7th gen automatics were shit in general, just get a manual if you want one
Also please answer>>21223060
>>
Yuro people, what car should I buy if I’ll live in the Balkans for a while? Are BMW and Mercedes actually good in yurop? Do I need an SUV?
>>
>>21222898
When did VAG buy them up? That must make a difference. And old air cooled Porsches are simple which means less stuff to break, but that doesn’t mean it won’t break.
>>
>>21223204
Would it be better to buy a new or slightly used Cayman then?
>>
>>21222105
>>21222240
Changed trans fluid at 60k
>>
>>21223226
Certified pre-owned? Warranty? Maintenance records? There’s no reason not to grab a slightly used one if it comes with the above and the price is right. I guess main upside to new is you can be picky about all the options and extras.
>>
I guess I should've posted here before making a thread. I'm gonna look at a 2007 Toyota scion tc over the weekend. 130k miles, $2900.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? I've heard from YouTube vids these cars have an issue with oil consumption

It seems like a good deal, my budget is just around $3500 so I'd have some left over to use on the car if need be
>>
Should you prefill oil filters when doing an oil change ?
>>
File: IMG_20190815_193642.jpg (1.05 MB, 1728x1913)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
Hi guys I just replaced a "leaking" vacumme pump on my Audi A4 b7 and just checked again 2 days after replacement and it's still leaking. There's oil like on the pump. What is going on holp pls
>>
>>21223830
Not worth the trouble. Just put a little oil on the O-ring for a good seal. That empty oil filter can’t be any worse than a cold start in the morning.
>>
>>21223647
Check pressure switches, sensors and lines.
>>
Is it normal at all for aluminum dust to be present in bolt holes after removing bolts for, say, accessory pulleys, in an aluminum engine block? Should I use some anti-seize or something as a light lubricant?
>>
>>21223830
I do because I care
>>
>>21223988
I bet you wipe after taking a shit too.

Waste of time.
>>
>>21223988
Do you like making a fucking mess when you inevitably have to turn it on its side to screw it on the engine?
>>
>>21221829
By doing a resistance test
>>
>>21224280
>his car has a horizontal oil filter port

Lmaoooooooo

Is simple, lift car til port is vertical, no spills :^}
>>
Where can you race V12 touring cars in america? I've wanted to get into something like touring car racing but my car is a jaguar XJ12 coupe and most rulesets at tracks here in New York only allow up to V8s. Is there a class of racing in America that allows my V12 to hit the track competitively?
>>
File: 1565554607618.jpg (35 KB, 720x460)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>have SN95 5.0
>Hit while parked
>Lost motivation to customize it
>Want to put drivetrain into another vehicle
>Wanted to do E36, but there are no ready made exhaust systems for that clusterfuck of a swap (passenger header on driver's side to y pipe on passenger side WTF?)
>Every other swap prefers GM V8s and seems easier with better parts support)

Any recs for a car that isn't a Ford that would be pretty great with a Ford 302?

>Pic for attention
>>
I scraped the bottom of my car off a speed bump and it took off the rubber undercoat and some bare metal is showing. I'm gonna be at the garage this weekend so I'm planning to fix it up and restore the coating.

Should I just use primer and rubber coat, or primer, paint and then rubber? I want to do it proper because there's not a spot of rust on it, and winter is coming soon. And is zinc primer any good for this job? I know it acts as a sacrificial metal that rusts before the body, but I don't want it bubbling up under the rubber coating.
>>
I'm pushing 4000rpm out of 6500rpm on the highway. Any harm coming to my car?
>>
>>21225242
Yes, beware the beige van. And wear your seatbelt ffs
>>
Does anyone own a Lexus SC300? Found one for 3k but want to know if they have any issues I should know beforehand as I’m going to use it for college
>>
>>21225422
It just a supra with a different body, and a non-turbo 2jz
>>
Why do big SUVs roll when they get hit? Shouldn't their bigger mass keep them more firmy on the ground? Or is it just the principle of moments coming back to fuck us?
>>
Its an odd question for my Jimmy daily. Maybe Im crazy on this problem but is feels like it starts one of two ways.
1. One rotation on crank starts right up, engine is quiet and feels anemic
2. Three or four rotations per crank, can actually hear the engine and has it feels like it has more power.
What would cause this exactly or am I crazy chasing a phantom problem.
>>
I recently bought a 2007 1242CC Ford Fiesta with 60k miles on it. Will it be any good for my first car? I'll not be using it much, but I know that the Focus is usually recommended over the Fiesta so I'm a little bit worried. Have I just bought a soimobile?
>>
File: astra ecu numbering.jpg (525 KB, 2048x1536)
525 KB
525 KB JPG
Hey guys bit of a niche help required here.
I'm searching for an ecu to replace the bricked one in my astra.
Searching online i'm seeing a lot that match the top part number 09 158 670.
But many don't match that second number
S 01 001 04, and instead have S 01 001 10.

Bit of a reach but does anyone know the specifics of the GM siemens ECU numbering scheme?
>>
>>21225914
The center of mass is far higher in an SUV than a generic sedan or what have you. meaning it's more likely to have it roll over. Think of the stability difference between a ten pin bowling pin upright, versus on it's head.
>>
>>21212052
What's the best way to maintain rubber door seals
>>
>>21226144
>The center of mass is far higher in an SUV than a generic sedan or what have you
How? Where's the extra mass coming from? Just the body?
>>
>>21226180
Yeah pretty much, SUV's are generally just bigger and heavier and chunkier than a normal sedan, that plus the fact they sit up far higher on the road means the center of mass is larger and higher.
>>
>>21226127
Well top one is the part number, bottom is a revision or software version. Would probably work but dont know really
>>
>>21226172
Autoglym vinyl & rubber care or equivalent
>>
>>21226229
Okay that makes sense, what i'm concerned about is that there exists a simtec 71 and simtec 71.1 which are not compatible, but from my research it seems they might be shaped differently and not cross compatible physically either.
going to head to the wreckers and pull the entire ECU, immobiliser, and grab the keys for a replacement hopefully. Because the ECU is linked to the immobiliser and requires reprogramming if you're putting in just a new ecu.

I don't know which cunt designed this thing but for some reason they decided to mount the ecu directly to the engine block so that over time the vibration and heating and cooling just bricks them.
>>
>>21226267
Just another note as well.
There exists different ECU's for manual/auto, and ABS/nonABs models, perhaps the revision/software version refers to those specifics.
>>
>>21225242
Does it overheat ?
Then no.
Consider a higher viscosity oil since your temps are a bit higher I'd imagine. Probably unnecessary
>>
>just scheduled a 1300 dollar Timing Belt/Water Pump replacement appointment
How do I stop the pain?
>>
>>21226461
What car ?
>>
>>21226461
>How do I stop the pain?
By canceling it, buying the parts and tools and doing it yourself. Be happy you saved ~900+

>>21226538
Also this. Some are harder than others.
>>
>>21226567
fr. My Miata was ez as hell and being a non interference engine, you can't fuck it up too bad.
>>
>>21226569
My cm6 is piss easy. Biggest bitch is usually the crank bolt.
>>
>>21226538
Lexus GS 430.
>>21226567
I have neither the tools nor mechanical prowess right now. Next time around, I'll do it myself.
>>
>>21226630
Fair enough. At least you can get it done though, thats what counts. Maybe a few beers will help soften the blow
>>
>>21226180
Look up what "center of mass" and "stability Triangle" means. Heavier doesn't mean more or less stable. Its how far that mass is from the ground.
>>
I have a seized front passenger caliper, so I ordered left and right from cuckauto to get them fast like, and they sent me two driver side calipers.

Before I go put effort into this, are front driver and passenger calipers on a 2000 accord interchangeable? I know the fitting placement is different, but is there anything else?
>>
>>21226931
>Before I go put effort into this, are front driver and passenger calipers on a 2000 accord interchangeable?
No.
>>
I don't wanna spend a ton on a new audio system for my ageing car because I think present day Bluetooth speakers are good enough.

Are Kove speakers good enough just like they say in the ads? Or are there any other Bluetooth speaker suggestions that you think are good or best?

I drive a 1995 Camry tho.
>>
>>21226931
You're a fucking retard, but go ahead and try it.

You should have bought a set of powder coated ones, like $65 for both sides on any year Accord on Rockauto
>>
>>21226276
Doesn't overheat it's a base focus 5 speed with the miata bottom end. I think it should be ok but I want to go 80-90 but thats near 4k rpm
>>
>>21227341
Who says I didn't get those?

I got boxes with both part numbers, but both boxes have the same part.
>>
>>21227520
Then buy another one and return the fucked one. Rockauto returns are pretty painless. Just make sure you state wrong part in box/wrong part received when filling out the return
>>
>>21227357
I changed to rotrlla t6 5 or 0 - 40. You'll be ok. Miata
>>
>>21225959
It’s a little shitbox. It’s not that old, low miles, should get you where you need to go. What else do you want? Are you trying to pay $500/mo insurance on an STI?
>>
>>21228022
Thanks, that's all that I want from it.
>>
I just replaced the front brake calipers, do I need to flush the rear brakes too?
>>
>>21227606
Returning it doesn't help the fact that I still have a seized caliper and now have to wait several more days to replace it.
>>
>>21218475
>What's the reason for this?
If no grip the tires will slip, upshifting will bog the engine. However if this is the way someone 'normally' races, they are a shit driver and either need to learn how to warm up the tires , setup the suspension for grip or back off the throttle to allow the tires to hook.
Using the rev limiter as your launch control is lazy and ignorant.
>>
Hey can anybody run a vin for me please. YS3DD78H3Y7014205
>>
>>21221353
>What do?
Check the battery cables, they may look good, but if the copper wire is all corroded it may be a high resistance.
If the solenoid is part of the starter, check the voltage coming out of the control wire to turn the starter on is battery voltage.
If not there is most likely a high resistance issue. Either a connector at the ignition switch or the switch itself.
Being an Automatic, verify that the N(eutral)S(afety)S(witch) is properly adjusted or the linkage is fine.
Pretty common issue. Next time, turn ignition to ON, put the trans into Neutral, and then see if it starts, if so, NSS is out of adjustment.
Make sure the trans is fully in Park, pull it down to D1 and then push it forward quickly into Park(engine off) then try to start. If that works too, then the NSS is really out of adjustment or the cable is sloppy.
Ignition switch itself can get fubar too. More common on 80's Mustangs, but the design is similar on the later SN95s.
>>
>>21221829
>>21224312
Find where the circuit or main or bonding jumper is bolted to the body. Unbolt it and clean the bolt and wire connector, verify the wire connection isnt trashed. Follow it back into the wire harness or device and verify the connection there is good.
>>
>>21224998
>Any recs for a car that isn't a Ford that would be pretty great with a Ford 302?
A Camaro. Lot easier to adjust timing.
Anything English.
Miata
>>
>>21227357
>80-90 but thats near 4k rpm
kek'd
Change the transmission in my Honda to a different model. Used to do 80MPH @ 3K, now 4Krpm. Mileage could be improved but the ability to accelerate is so much better.
Used to have 5W-30, now I use 0W-40 just for the fuck of it. 4bangers can take revving Anon.
>>
>>21228148
>I just replaced the front brake calipers, do I need to flush the rear brakes too?
If it is newer or FWD then the system is diagonally split. So yes, bleed all the brakes Anon
>>
>>21223114
>Does anyone know when exactly Honda fixed the auto tranny problems they had?
fwiw
98-02 6gen Accords were the worst. 97-01 Preludes and that same era of Ody had problems as well. I've heard the Civics can be bad, but nothing definitive.
If it is a low mileage accord, be careful. Might seem like a cream puff but it also could be because the trans was shit. Just look for fresh bright red ATF fluid. If it is new/clean they may be trying to hide a cooked trans. Some early 5 spd ATs may have had issues too in the 03+ 7th gen, but I believe these are much more noticeable than the earlier ones.
>>
>>21227299
1995 camry I really wouldn't go to the hassle of changing the speakers, it's a near 25 year old car.
I would just change out the headunit so I had bluetooth/aux, which is what I did on my 2001 astra
>>
>>21224280
>Do you like making a fucking mess when you inevitably have to turn it on its side to screw it on the engine?

Have owned vehicles with vertical, horizontal and whorely angled filters.
Always prefilled them. Never made a mess.
A mess when removing, sure. Not when installing.
>>
>>21224773
>Where can you race V12 touring cars in america?
Outside of a classic Jag series, where you really can't go 10/10s. Not really anywhere. I'd suggest looking up XJS clubs and seeing if they have any track events.
>I've wanted to get into something like touring car racing but my car is a jaguar XJ12 coupe and most rulesets at tracks here in New York only allow up to V8s.
You can always check with the racing body and see if they will make an exception in your case. V12s are only commonly found in super cars, so don't expect there to be many amateur or spec classes for a V12, Especially a 30 year old Jag.
>Is there a class of racing in America that allows my V12 to hit the track competitively?
Hit the track, sure.
Competitively... not so much.
I like XJ V12s but they are an odd ball. Only other non-super car V12s would be those BMW V12 coupes, but I don't recall ever seeing one of those on the track.

Pretty sure you are probably going to be stuck in some kind of Jag or historic European series. But those are usually pretty strict on how the car is setup and big dollar cars are on track.
>>
>>21225422
>know if they have any issues I should know beforehand
Make sure you get one from a mature or original owner. Avoid younger owners, urban owners, or big rim owners. Those will be trashed.
>>
>>21226127
>Bit of a reach but does anyone know the specifics of the GM siemens ECU numbering scheme?
Go to the dealership and have them look up the part numbers for you. They should have notes regarding compatibility.
>>
>>21228170
And.....? The fuck else you want us to tell you? If it is that seized, you werent using the vehicle anyways. Need it replaced faster? Source one locally.

If you put it on with the bleeder on the bottom , you'll probabaly never get all the air out, and it might cause fucked up braking.
>>
File: 1401167373085.jpg (49 KB, 800x600)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
I'm currently converting a 1991 SW20 MR2 to all wheel drive, using a cosworth MT75 gearbox, and running the diff upside down.
The engine I'll be using a nissan VQ35, which I will be destroking to 2litres for rally regulations, and will be using a single IHI Turbine.
I'm currently cutting the transmission tunnel, and my angle grinders a peice of shit, does anyone have any tips here? I've got through 6 of these fucking wafer thin discs so far, all they do is snap into peices.
>Pic related, its the tunnel I'm cutting out the car. Its where the fuel tank would normally be but I'll be running one single carbon fibre fuel cell in the passenger footwell.
>>
Hey guys, I wanna pick up pic related, guy is asking 4k and it has 250k on it, PSD E40D, good deal? And what's the stock gearing on these things?
Thanks in advance
>>
>>21223988
If you're really paranoid, disconnect the ignition power after installing your filter and oil and run the starter in 10 second bursts until the oil pressure light goes out and comes back on. Reconnect ignition power and start the car, and the oil light should go out instantly.
>>
>>21212052
Help.
2013 nissan Altima or hyundai accent?
My future depends on this choice.
$6k/135k miles nissan
5.5k/92k miles

Will be commuting in michigan.
>>
>>21212052
Help.
2013 nissan Altima or hyundai accent?
My future depends on this choice.
$6k/135k miles nissan
5.5k/92k miles hyundai

Needs to last as long as possible.
Will be commuting in michigan.
>>
>>21228881
>>21228887
How is this even a question? Hyundai.

Also kys
>>
>>21228887
Neither, get a 1997 honda accord with the 2.7, auto.
>>
File: 1505843096007.png (217 KB, 621x598)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
Been looking at getting a used lexus is 300, there are so many for around 20k with all the features. How come "luxury cars" depreciate so fast are used lexus worth it?
>>
>>21228922
“All the features” also means more shit to break, so it depends how long you think you’re gonna keep it.

>Protip
They depreciate because that Gucci label doesn’t look as good on last year’s bag.
>>
>>21228918
Mine just died and I'm replacing it with something newer

>>21228917
I just might.
Didn't mean to double post, I had an error with a post timeout.
>>
>>21228887
>2013 nissan Altima or hyundai accent?
>Needs to last as long as possible.
Neither. That Altima's due for a transmission failure. The Hyundai might be OK for a good while if you're gentle with it and follow the maintenance schedule perfectly. Those prices sound high.
>>
>>21228940
looking at a 2016 one. plan on keeping it at least 6 years, drove my honda for 8 now but it is getting quite aged
>>
why are boomers niggers? is a c5 even worth 15,000$ usd
>>
2 questions.
If i change out my water pump and the oe has plastic impellers, but there is another model that will fit with metal, should i get the metal?

Also the stock thermostat is 190F, should i stick with it as I've never had cooling issues? There were lower temp modles available, 160-180f.
>>
>>21229154
Search for the part number of the pump with the metal impeller and see if you can cross-reference it with the original pump. Stick with the 190F thermostat unless you find a good reason to change it.
>>
>>21229154
Its not the impeller that fails, its the shaft seal or the housing cracks. Not gonna make a difference.
And no, lower temp thermostats are a meme
>>
File: eb7.png (314 KB, 638x359)
314 KB
314 KB PNG
>>21228351
You're telling me the Jews are messing with my (((neutral safety switch)))? Thanks bro, the cables are clean at the end. Shiny copper, but I'm thinking they might be bad throughout the length under the insulation. I've also played around with the gear selector. Car won't start in neutral or park. It's very random. I tried starting it this morning and nothing. Couple minutes later, I went again to push my car for street sweeping and I tried to start it and it did work without me doing anything else to it. I also think it could be the ignition switch if not the cables, but it just seems so coincidental that the problem started after I cleaned the terminals. Not even days or weeks later, but the very next day it just didn't start.
>>
>>21229178
>>21229196
Thanks
A little annoyed at the steps required to do the belt and water pump, but glad for the project.
>>
>>21229209
What car?
>>
>>21229218
Mk4 jetta
>>
>>21227784
>>21228391
Engine is rated for 5w20 thinking of maybe some day switching to 5w30. Right now I'm using amsoil signature 5w20. I don't feel like the engine is like my AJ30 v6 where it'll take almost any grade motor oil.
>>
>>21228862
plz somebody halp me
>>
I know older hyundais have a terrible rep but are Hyundai's between '03-'10 close to Toyota in reliability?
>>
>>21229611
No. They're like Nissan in the 90's tho.

>>21229362
Automatics in late model OBS fords are prone to have problems because of failing PSOM units in the gauge cluster, either make sure its been replaced or have it resoldered by a professional.

Other than that the only major issue is that the front automatic hub lockers tend to fail, and well they tend to also have a lot of rust as most them have had hard lives.
>>
>>21229681
Thats a pretty good comparison, the sedans in that era were solid, they're rare in my area but plenty of early to mid 2000s models
>>
File: 1468186214647.jpg (8 KB, 273x185)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>tfw I can now easily afford any car that I lusted over 15 years ago (depreciation etc)

should I buy multiple old shitboxes that I wanted as a kid or an NPC 2019 ecobox?
>>
>>21229747
Shitbox, always shitbox.
>>
Any advice for trying to get fluid jugs de-yellowed? Trying to get my car more worthy of taking to car shows and the windshield washer reservoir's and such are gross looking. Trying to avoid replacing them.
>>
>>21229781
You could always paint the exterior. Or replace them if parts availability and price permits.

There's not really an easy way to get the stain out. Some plastics change chemically, so that it's not like something you can sand off.
>>
>>21229747
That depends entirely on your taste anon for what our answer will be.

>tfw your dream car is a 92' manual Ford Festiva you can snag in like new condition for under $1500.
>>
Why does my base focus 5 speed have so much wheel hop at the track? Can motor mounts help?
>>
A nigger ape rear ended me on the interstate today and absolutely destroyed my car, causing a 4 car accident. How much money should I be getting? KBB says the value of my car is $8-10000. That does not include additional modifications. I am also having muscle pain that is slowly getting worse. The nigger was probably high. I am fucking pissed as fuck. There is no way the car isn't totaled. If he did $10000 in car damage, plus a few thousand to the other guy's car, and I owed $6000 left how much will I get?
>>
>>21229805
Hmm good idea. Just figured they'd probably stupidly expensive for what they are to buy new ones.
>>
>>21229868
Like I thought, 50$ for a glorified milk jug.
>>
>>21229878
Parts like that have wild variation on prices. You can probably find the same object for $20 if you look hard enough, or find the same thing for $120 with a bit less effort.
>>
What's the difference in handling, if any, between the refreshed BRZ and 86? I recall they have different suspension tuning?
>>
>>21228825
Get better cutting wheels for metal, dont use them retardedly.
>>
>>21229208
Then you fucked something up.
>>
>>21229854
Go to the hospital/doctor to get checked out. You should have been taken from the scene of the accident straight to get checked out.
Get looked at and consult/retain a lawyer.

>That does not include additional modifications

Your modifications do not add value to the car. Unless you made your insurance aware of them, they still agreed to insure your shitbox.
>>
>>21229208
It might be worth taking the neutral safety switch apart and checking for obstructions if you think you can get it back together properly. If this is the problem and it shorts with the reverse lights contact, you'll get smoke coming out of your shifter eventually.
>>
How are engine swaps done? Aren't there major compatibility issues with the rest of the drivetrain?
>>
>>21230035
Wildly depends on the car and engine. Take any two Subarus made in the past 25 years and they'll swap directly or close to. If you want to put a Coyote in a 911, you'll go through 7 layers of hell to get it to fit and run.
>>
File: 1473016264736.jpg (497 KB, 1646x1236)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
somebody please help me I can't find anything on google. could be any one of several possible factors causing this. car is a 2008 camry. sorry in advance for text wall but I want to list everything that could be relevant to the problem.

>3 yrs ago (september 2016)
>cranking is very weak for a few weeks, car eventually dies at a gas station
>get jump, go home
>buy new battery, guy at vatozone tells me alternator is bad
>has too much "ripple" which will eventually kill the new battery
>think he's trying to sell me a new alternator, ignore him

>ffw 3 yrs (last week)
>negative battery cable has been loose for a while bc nut that tightens bracket came off at some point
>buy post shims, use nut and bolt I found in garage to tighten bracket, all is well, except:
>I note that when reinstalling cable onto post, there is sparking and crackle of current even though car is off
>2 days ago battery light on dash turns on
>yesterday morning crank is very weak
>get battery tested at vatozone before work, voltage is low (obviously)
>he confirms my fear that there is a draw somewhere that's draining the battery
>on way to work, notice in-car clock is looking dimmer than usual and airbag light turns on (?)
>car barely starts up after work, fill up on gas and car won't start anymore
>get jump, figure I'll have to get it charged tomorrow
>driving back home from gas station, dashboard goes haywire, gauges stop working, lights flashing on and then dying again
>limping home at this point, giving any more than light throttle makes car slower
>headlights not working, hazards not working
>the instant I pull up to curb, car dies

What the fuck happened, /o/? somebody please tell me where to even start, I have never dealt with something like this and automotive electrical has never been my strong suit.
>>
>>21230057
On the more exotic swaps, which I suppose is what I was think of, do the parts have to be custom fabricated? Because I imagine transmissions don't play nice with engines they weren't designed for.
>>
>>21230135
Most the time if it's a similar size and layout, you can get away with a custom bell housing and mounts. Most the time it's a matter of handling power or if it's a different layout (transverse, longitudinal, etc) that would make you have to swap transmissions.
>>
>>21230140
Is there an /o/ pastebin where I can learn more about all of this shit? I know some basics about engines and broadly what some parts do, but a lot of the nomenclature and how specific parts function is a mystery to me.
>>
>>21230155
I learn by working on my car and by watching stuff. I don't think there's an /o/ bin for this sort of stuff. One thing I can recommend is watching people work on builds. Like Rob Dahm is currently making a rotary swap c5 z06, and his videos are fairly educational.
>>
My stock R34 GTT has a few problems:
>Smells awful when window is open and I accelerate
>Incredible loud all of sudden (which I actually like)
>misfire sometimes which I never had before
>even feels faster a bit now

What could this be? Car running lean? Should I overhaul it or can I drive like this?
>>
>>21230196
Check your exhaust. Cat might have shit itself. Also what kind of smells like shit. Burning oil? Rubber? Plastic?
>>
>>21230202
Sorry I forgot to mention. Recently checked the cat and it looks fine, no damage. Smell is a mixture of rotten eggs and oil maybe.

Also my clutch is worn out and I'm about to replace it. But I don't think it's connected to the other problems.
>>
>>21230207
you have a hole upstream from the o2 sensor
>>
File: 1554128715417.jpg (424 KB, 2048x1044)
424 KB
424 KB JPG
Should I buy a 27 yr old Z32, NA hardtop manual with 85K genuine miles (proven by document history), fully serviced for $7500?

It will be my daily/only car. Am I a dumbfuck?
>>
>>21230221
Depends on where you live, and how far from work you live. If it doesn't rain or snow a lot, and you can get by without it when it needs work, go for it. Just expect if the paint is nice it won't stay that way and you're liable to get dings and dents, and eventually it will become a high mile z32.
>>
>>21230219
Ah that might be it, thanks. I'm gonna check it.
>>
File: 1547032453823.jpg (202 KB, 693x960)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
>>21230229
Don't live far from work, 12 miles - but traffic is heavy. No snow, some rain and i don't have a garage. Only an off-street carbay, but the bay is surrounded by 2 tall buildings so it is sort of shielded from the weather, i opted for the hardtop because I know the old rubber on the Ttops will be probably get rekt.

Probably will put on 5000 miles p/year and eed it to last under these conditions for ~6 years, after that it'll probably become a weekend car.

I could pick up a 350Z, but I always loved the Z32.
>>
File: 1564509616509.jpg (136 KB, 448x398)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>21229985
Unlikely. As I said, I just cleaned it up. Nothing crazy, didn't yank anything. Done it many times before. Pretty hard to fuck something up from just cleaning the terminals and cable connectors.
>>21230034
I'm going to try this. Worth a shot.
>>
File: 50 YEARS.png (1.4 MB, 956x654)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB PNG
>>21230196
>>21230207
https://youtu.be/ExuhiMURJaU
>>
>>21229854
If the guy was uninsured and broke you'll get nothing. Hope you had uninsured motorist protection on your policy.

>>21230117
What is your question? Get a new battery retard. Then see if you still have a problem. Probably need a new alternator too, and might have had a bad grounding on the negative post.
>>
>>21229854
See >>21230001

Go to the hospital ASAP. Even though nigger ape most likely doesn’t have insurance, if you have decent coverage, you will never have to see any of those bills. If he did somehow have insurance, they won’t cover your mods, but they should give you a fair payout on the stock value of your car, cover the medical bills, and probably give you a couple grand if you sign away and say you won’t sue them anymore for pain.
>>
>>21230117
>I note that when reinstalling cable onto post, there is sparking and crackle of current even though car is off

Yeah thats normal to see some light sparking when putting the neg cable back on the battery post.

>he confirms my fear that there is a draw somewhere that's draining the battery.

What? Hes just saying that something drained the battery. No fucking shit right?

Tbh your alternator is probably fucked (battery light), not charging the battery right. So at this point you might need both.
>>
>>21230207
>Smell is a mixture of rotten eggs
Bad cat m8
>>
>>21230249
Not a personal fan of the 350z or 370z but either would be a better daily if only because of age. I'd say go for it if it won't run your savings completely dry.
>>
>>21229854
It'll be a separate claim for the other guy. For the car itself you'll get whatever they value it at. Medical claims are a whole other story but I wouldn't plan to spend them on anything other than healthcare.
>>
so, is downshifting without touching the brakes what's called engine braking? And is that jump from about 1000 to 2000 every time I go down a gear going to hurt my car?
>>
>>21230699
Yes that is a form of engine braking.
It will wear the synchros unless you rev match. You should blip the throttle so that the engine speed matches closely to the wheel speed for that gear you are downshifting into.
Brake pads are cheaper than transmission repairs.
>>
how do i get rid of the dank smell from water soaked carpets after winter? drench it in chlorine?
>>
>>21231154
Pull the carpet out of the car, pressure wash it leave it to dry in the sun.
>>
>>21231671
ye not gonna do that much work. need a way without removing it. it's a 2014 golf and the cloth shit that's attached to the floor.
>>
>>21231758
Then you'll never completely get rid of the smell. If you drench it in chlorine, you'll end up bleaching it.
>>
>>21231154
>>21231758

vinegar mixed in with one of those carpet cleaner things. Air it out in a cool dry place and it'll be gone in a week or two
>>
>>21231821
ill try that, thanks
>>
>>21231887
What are symptoms of burnt exhaust valves
>>
>>21231949
why are you asking me
>>
File: 2015-12-16 15.27.54.jpg (3.01 MB, 2981x1677)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
I have hankook dynapro ATMs on my 97 4runner
but they are so big I can't get emissions done unless I go and rent smaller tires, I don't know the exact size but they are around 35-36" in diameter
Would there be any perceivable benefits from selling my current tires and stepping down to the largest size emissions will allow? I believe that would be around 33-34"
How much could I get for my tires? What would be the best way to go about selling them if I did choose to?
>>
File: silver-e39-main1.jpg (253 KB, 1500x994)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
What are the best rims for an e39??
>>
>>21232349
Msports or Style 5 BBS'
>>
>>21231949
Back firing and black smoke on start up.
>>
How many hours should it take to replace a passenger wheel bearing for an 01 maxima. Repairpal is feeling me about 500 in labor costs and just want to make sure
>>
>>21231154
Use car mats like a smart person
>>
>>21232306
The fuck??
Explain this retardation.
>>
>>21232349
Stock oem ones.
>>
>>21232639
Front or rear?
Rears are asier they are one assembly and like 4 bolts+axle nut.
Fronts are pressed into the knuckle. Id guess around 300-4000 total or a new hub +bearing. Dealership might be more.
>>
>>21232954
300-400 ffs
>>
How much blow by should come from the oil fill port?
>>
Would an abs and traction control light be on because the car needs an alignment? For a lexus es300?
>>
>>21232954
Front. So youre saying atleast 300 for labor I'm guessing
>>
>>21233134
Depends on where you take it, but that my guess.
>>
>>21233112
What year

>>21233054
Sure
>>
>>21233152
Its a 2000 lexus, I've just never heard of that
>>
>>21233200
No.
>>
File: 1502113503178.gif (470 KB, 200x200)
470 KB
470 KB GIF
How does one out jew a stealership?
>>
>>21233300
Understood. I have noticed the abs light being a common problem in the es300. This is the third one I've seen with that warning lught

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.