[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Auto-45.jpg (690 KB, 1000x1000)
690 KB
690 KB JPG
A dedicated thread to ask all your automotive related questions that are either short or doesn't necessarily require a thread for itself. Also known as SQT.

A few tips -
>Google your Question to see if anyone else has asked the same question before. On most cases, yes.
>Ask your Question on specialized General Threads that relates to the subject of your query.
>Find unanswered questions and answer them if you can.

Take Care and Drive/Ride Safe!

Previous Thread - >>21155303
>>
Just bought my first car, a Daewoo nubira. What do you guys think? What should I do to it?
>>
Somewhere on this board someone mentioned lightweight forged aluminum steelie lookalikes, 4x100. Anyone know what brand this is?
>>
Only posting here because my ip is banned from making new threads for some reason. Just wanted to say thanks to /o/. A few months back I almost bought an overpriced high mileage golf r. You guys rightfully mocked and warned me. After a lot of lurking and researching and finding my own taste, I ended up buying an E36 325i last night. It's a little rough but I got it as a project car for my dad and I to do a resto-mod. It'll be a great opportunity for me to learn to wrench and to spend time with him. Not to mention I got a beamer for a grand and in a few months I'll either have a fucking seriously nice car for myself or at least I can flip it for a profit. My goal is to have something aesthetic as all fuck to bring to radwood NJ next year. I plan to share updates on our progress here. So unsarcastically, thanks again. Pic related is not the actual car. But that's how I want to make it look.
>>
>>21185905
Drive it and maintain it til you can get something better.
>>
>>21185905
Just push it into a ditch
>>
File: 20190807_124437-2268x3024.jpg (593 KB, 2268x3024)
593 KB
593 KB JPG
Anyone know what led this is? I need a replacement for my license light.
>>
>>21186332

lrn to google sir
>>
>>21186347
What did you search?
>>
>>21186384
>>
>>21186414
I guess I'm just retarded
>>
>>21186418
>I guess I'm just retarded

nah, we all have our days
>>
>>21186119
post the pic faggot. Also, good job Anon, spending time with your dad and doing something with yourself is nice. Godspeed anon
>>
why the fucking fuck won't my fucking windscreen fucking clean fuck

autofuckingglass put a new windscreen in after my last one cracked and since then i've been unable to get it properly clean, i've tried vinigger and fucking glass cleaners that claim to work on fucking windscreens AND I JUST WANT TO SEE WHERE THEFUCK I'M, GOING WHEN SUNLIGHT IS ON MY WINDCUNT FUCKSHIT FUCK
>>
>>21186648
I SHOULD SPECIFY I'M TALKING ABOUT THE INSIDE OF THE WINDSCREEN REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>21186651

what did the installer recommend after you explained this to him, or were you so incoherent that he told you to go fuck yourself.
>>
>>21186661
he installed it days ago, it was today i noticed the buildup, but after emailing them they simply suggested using 'a glass cleaning product' so they're utterly fucking useless to me now
>>
Looking to get my first car soon. Leaning pretty heavily towards getting a used Civic sedan (my first choice), Accord or Corolla. Anything important I need to know about them? Any other types I should look at? Keep in mind I'm in a smaller area in Canada so my options are somewhat limited (budget is around $13k CAD).
>>
>>21185855
I'm a gonna get my self a buick 1966 riviera gran sport and tune it into a dragster, I know it's gonna do wheelies. Other than wheelie bars, is there any other way to prevent wheelies?
>>
>>21186661
>>21186651
>>21186681
Try clay barring the inside of the windshield
>>
>>21186651
Do you vape? The juice can condense on the glass if you’re constantly bowing towards it
>>
>>21186688
Fun? Civic
Comfy? Accord (also fun)

All seem pretty reliable
>>
>>21186724
Fun isn't really that important to me; comfy is a higher priority of the two in my case (fuel economy and reliability being the two biggest factors). There's a nice 2013 silver Civic for like 12 or 13k that I'm thinking of going to check out. Not too many KM, I like the interior, has a sunroof (not a big deal, but I liked having one in my mom's old car back in the day), etc. Probably still going to check out an Accord, though, before buying anything.
>>
File: BXXX.jpg (300 KB, 1000x587)
300 KB
300 KB JPG
>>21186740
citroens are just what you need. You could get an HDi bx. Citroen's hydropneumatic suspension, citroen's twin turbo direct inject diesel, 4wd available meaning a brilliant offroader, fun, just a great car. get em for cheap as they're just "old citroens"
>>
>>21186332
For future reference, your owner's manual should list the specific model numbers for all of the bulbs in your car.
>>
>>21186719
i am not a lesbian
>>
Is it possible for a BMW S55 to sound good?
>>
>>21186779
Based baguette car with 10/10 suspension
>>
for autox should I run 205/50R15 front and 195/50R15 in the rear on my 88' Crx or would a square set up be better?
K-tuned coilovers and control arm set up btw
>>
>>21187007
no.... But they good motors, even though bmw doesn't know how to tune it for a smoothe torque curve.
>>21187036
Finally, someone knows good french cars, doesn't shill em as shit.
>>
>>21187036
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM2OienX-_4
>>
>>21187207
some more to jack off to.
>>
>change gearbox atf with fresh atf and lubrizol using pump bottle yesterday
>going to change LSD oil today
>realise bottle still contains a lot of atf residue
>????
Wat do? Are there any friction modifiers in dextron iii that's gonna fuck with my LSD clutchpacks? How do you even attempt cleaning this shit?
>>
>>21185855
I think KBB is telling me stories, so what's a reasonable price for:
a 2012 Toyota 4runner trail standard?
a 2014 Toyota 4runner trail standard?
and Bilstein 5100 + 6112 +springs vs and Icon stage 1 or stage 2 kit. From what I can tell the Icon shocks are better quality, rebuildable, etc while the Bilsteins + springs are 1000-1200 dollars cheaper.
>>
2015 Nissan Altima: /o/'s thoughts?
>>
>>21187660
I just sprayed the pump out with brake cleaner, let it evaporate then called it a day.
>>
File: D1jaWv-VAAA3k-9.jpg (367 KB, 1538x2048)
367 KB
367 KB JPG
>changed my atf
>fluid that came out looked like the chocolate rivers of africa
>considered putting it back in
>took out magnetic drain plug and it had a normal amount of debris
>feeling confident. put in the new ATF
>tranny survived
>converter shudder is gone
>>
I have a 2014 Chevy spark. It's my daily driver. I know it's not much but I have a lot of fun with it. So far I've added light weight wheels and some summer tires. It was a pretty noticeable change which I enjoyed.

There's not much that could be done to the car but I've been playing with the idea of getting nitrous kit for a small bump in power. Something very modest like 20 hp, even maybe from something like a motorcycle kit since the engine is so tiny anyway (1.2 liter) Doesn't sound like much but it's an 84 hp car.

I don't race. I don't even speed. I love taking on twisty back roads. I figure this should give a fun boost when I'm out having fun. Then there's the very real situations in normal driving and I need to get up to speed uphill or onto the highway quicker.

Thoughts? Bad Idea? Not worth it?
>>
>>21188134

ive had 3-4 of that gen of Altima as a rental car for work the last 3 years, every single one under 50,000km, all with a horrible growling from the transmission. like that shit sounded like it was going to explode. i dont trust the CVT on them

one of them had 35,000km and my boss was driving, past 90kmh it was just RRRRrrrRRRRrrrrRRRRrrrr non-stop and even he said holy fuck this thing sounds like its going to explode.
>>
>>21188748

not worth it/gonna cake something especially if its automatic. do exhaust
>>
>>21188770
Well shit, guess I'll take that one off the list. Thanks, anon.
>>
Im new to manual transmissions... Am i saving gas when cruising on the interstate in 5th gear on low RPMS?
>>
>>21188857
Yes, but down shift if you have to pass, or go uphill, if you don't you will be wasting gas.
>>
>>21188134
Ugly steering wheel. Shitty transmission that's constantly failing on many cars however there are some that make it's past 100k miles.

t. Work at a Nissan dealership
>>
so i wash my car and apply wax and all.
if i soak it with water a week later and dry it off will the wax also come off?
>>
File: cap.jpg (78 KB, 602x450)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>21185855
I'm stupid and what is this cap thing called? 81 ford f150.
>>
>>21185855
Anyone with a Toyota have this problem? I've been looking online and there seems to be little to no videos or pictures on what to do about this. It's my first car so I'm freaking the fuck out bros. I don't want to go to a mechanic and let them fix it.
>>
>>21190423
oil breather cap
>>
Im looking to buy an older Mercedes like early 2000s with 123k on the odom. My dad says I'd be an idiot to buy this car because after 100k they fall apart. I should be good right?
>>
File: 1565158392711.jpg (228 KB, 900x675)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
Volve bros, I'm driving a 1990 Volvo 240 DL and was wondering when the fuel pump should be replaced. My car has just over 180K miles on it and I don't want to be left stranded on the side of the freeway like I was in my 1998 dodge van.
>>
>>21185905
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUdBqCO9PAw

>>21185855
So two of the four vehicles I own - they were essentially given to me(I paid $3600 for both, paid a lien that was owed from a dead relative). I have a 2004 Pontiac GTO. Autotragic. Pretty bad interior, some fixable some not. Drives fine, rides a little rough, some wobble noise in the ass end I haven't looked at yet. The other is a 1998 Ford Ranger 4x4 SuperCab Flareside with the 3.0 i6.

Obviously without pictures you can't tell too much about them, but I will say the interior of the GTO(Aside from the drivers seat) is repairable. Some stitching needs done, and the leather needs polished. The driver seat is torn to shit.

I really don't care much for this car, so I'd like to sell it. Am I better off selling as-is or should I fix up the interior and try to get more out of it?

The 1998 Ranger. Cylinder misfire I'm guessing. Haven't dug in yet to truly diagnose. Brakes feel like there's air in the line, haven't dug in either. Engine was rebuilt years ago by an unknown individual in Iowa. Should I try to repair the cylinder misfire, or sell as is? I would never sell a running vehicle without safe brakes, so that will happen no matter what. Though, I may keep this Ranger.
>>
>>21186681
Stop fagging in your car, smoker.
>>
>>21190945
You can sell the ranger for like a solid 5k if you fix it. The Pontiac is probably better sold as is but the better the interior the more you can get away with charging.
>>
File: c5e.jpg (9 KB, 400x175)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>Drive into parking lot
>Spot next to me has a big wet puddle of motor oil
>Culprit has fled the scene
>mfw

What would you do in this situation? Report it to the store security? I know it's not my business but I don't want someone to get oily tires and get hurt
>>
>>21191290
I didn't believe it until I saw it online. Holy crap people are paying out the ass for these rangers. I was gonna sell it for 2.5k after I fix it(bottom dollar, ask 4k). It has 170k miles on it, and the paint is a liiiitle rough on the front end but only noticeable up close/touch. No way to prove the engine rebuild.
>>
>>21191400
Mind your own business, cuck. The oil will wear off enough by the time they leave the parking lot.
>>
File: 91DyFASzT7L._SL1500_.jpg (299 KB, 1500x1500)
299 KB
299 KB JPG
Is there a reccomended toolset that /o/ uses? I was planning on opening up my first car just to look around and realized it has a bunch of bolts and other screws that are hiding the engine.

Someone help me shop please.
>>
File: IMG_20190808_143354.jpg (1.98 MB, 2946x2432)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
this is the wiring to my fuel injectors, is bad or no? I posted to an enthusiast group and the rednecks just made dumb comment, no solutions

dumb homos

>>21188617
who is gorl i want her lip on my
>>
>>21191647
Learn to splice wire and solder. That right there is a fire hazard waiting to happen.
>>
>>21191635
If you're literally only doing shit on the weekend harbor freight will suffice. If you want something a little nicer go with Kobalt or Craftsman.

Almost all newer cars are in metric sizes so you'll want a set of sockets and box end wrenches in metric as well as 1/4 3/8's and 1/2 ratchets.
>>
>>21191647
That has to be the worst wiring I've ever seen. I mean, at least you tried.

Done right, the entirety of those two wires will be replaced up to the point where it's not shredded to shit.

Alternatively heat shrink tubing to reinsulate. Learn to solder.
>>
>>21191775
>>21191798
Not my handiwork. The car was like this when I bought it, although I didn't think anything of it until I had gained some experience wrenching
>>
>>21191854
Well we all have our previous owner stories, and you're learning which is more than most on /o/ are doing with their time; don't feel that you need to make excuses for it.
>>
Are remanufactured alternators reliable or is it hit or miss?
>>
>>21191946
I've replaced all of mine as they went out in my vehicles as they've failed with reman units and haven't had any issues.
>>
Hey guys I paid too much for a car I can barely afford in a terrible impulse buy. Should I crash it and get the insurance? I have gap insurance.
>>
>>21190423
Pcv
>>
>>21190477
So eh what else do you need? Get checking
>>
>>21191647
Holy shit, replace that asap.
Exposed wiring is bad
>>
>>21192024
Kill yourself
>>
File: It broke down again.jpg (53 KB, 639x770)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Car is an e36 with the 2.8 and Manuel tranny

>Took it out for a drive after two weeks of not using it (doesn't get used often)
>Starts, idles, and drives fine at first
>Occasional slight hesitation at/near WOT, worsens with time
>10 minutes later have to limp back home, almost dies off just idling, no warning lights of any sort
>Back home there are no abnormal noises, no backfires or smell of it running rich, no fuel spilling anywhere. Idles mostly fine save for slight sputtering
>Turn off, let it sit for a few minutes (checked for fuel leaks), try to turn back on, no dice. Just cranks forever, though it wants to fire up occasionally
>Replace fuel filter (was somewhat dirty) but made no difference
>Primed the pump a few times, got it to start after cranking two or three times for 5-10 seconds
>Check fuel pressure with an old borrowed gauge, says it's stable around 2 bar (should be about 3.5, though the gauge might be off, needle was rather sticky)
>Check fuel pressure regulator's vacuum line
>No fuel in it, cut off a section with a very minor crack near one end, plugged back on. Sadly can't tell if it's cracked elsewhere since it snakes under the very cramped intake manifold
>Again, crank for prolonged periods and got it to start up and idle, warmed it up and even revved it to about 3500 RPM, held 2500 RPM comfortably (didn't want to push it since it seemed to sputter randomly a bit)
>Let it sit for about an hour, try to turn it on again, cranks fine but doesn't want to start

Where to now? Fuel pump? Fuel pressure regulator (vacuum line)? Why does it idle and even rev up almost normally, but takes forever to start? Seems to be letting off the built up pressure in the fuel system after it's switched off (failing valve in the pump) but I can't really be sure

I want to go back and check the fuel pressure again tomorrow if I have time, but what else can I check while I'm dirty and high on gas fumes under the car?
>>
>>21192327
Could be fuel pump or something fucky with injectors. You should scan it for codes, might have some pending codes. some dont illuminate the CEL unless certain perameters are met a few times.
>>
>>21192327
When you check the fuel pressure, do it at WOT, then shut it off and leave the gauge on to see what its doing.
>>
Need to install front plates, are the adhesive ones shit?
Kind of leaning towards them, would rather avoid using a front row hook. But if they're shit and the adhesive sucks, then it's either get it drilled or use a tow hook.
>>
Is a locking gas cap completely pointless?
>>
>>21185855
What's a good dashcam? I'm getting a job where I'm driving a company car and want something to cover my ass in case of an accident
>>
>>21192623
Yes. Ford stopped putting them in their trucks. It’s just a spring loaded hole cover now.
>>
File: 1563688331080.jpg (46 KB, 592x512)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
Are manual and CVT transmissions the same as automatic transmissions, in that changing the fluid can cause issues in older transmissions? If I understand correctly it's only a problem with auto transmissions because they have internal clutch packs which may start slipping due to the increased lubricity of fresh fluid, which the other two transmissions do not have internal clutch packs, so they should not have the same issue, right?
>>
I changed the radiator and thermostat on my 1993 MR2 and the everything coolant related seems to be working fine. However I noticed that the radiator fans are now on all the time. Aren't they only supposed to be on when starting the car or when the coolant reaches certain temperature? Or are they supposed to be on all the time? Can a fellow SW20 owner comment about this?

It's possible that I damaged the wiring to the coolant temperature sensor but the coolant temperature gauge seems to be working fine and showing correct temperatures? Are there any potential problems with the radiator fans running all the time if they aren't supposed to?
>>
>>21192724
I can't comment on CVT's but in general once a manual starts to go, it just goes, and changing the Fluid really doesn't do much, its not as if you'll save a synchro that's already worn away.

Other than the gear set CVT's do have more in common with Automatics in the sense that some use Torque converters where the transmission is mated to the engine.
>>
>>21191447
For a 98 ranger that's kind of low. Usually they have loads of miles on it so charge like 6k-7k and let them talk you down until you hear a number you like.
>>
>>21193047
Yea you fucked up.

They should only kick on once in a while.

My 94 mr2 only ever kicks in at lights where I'm idling during 90 degree days
>>
>>21192485
Am a spic living in a forgotten shithole, sadly I don't know anyone with a compatible scanner, save for a former dealership technician some 100 miles away. Been meaning to get one but the Pac-Man diagnostics port doesn't make my life easier (that and the insane currency exchange rates)

Will look into it as much as possible and ask around, though

>>21192552
Fuk, forgot to test that since I was in a hurry at the time, will check that first thing tomorrow, thanks

>>21192724
No idea about CVTs, but every manual transmission I've ever changed the oil to has only gotten better, provided I used the proper oil

Maybe if your synchros are very worn you could see a negative impact, though I changed some very old gear oil to a work Toyota Hilux and it got slightly better overall
>>
I have a an 07 Chevy Equinox that runs but I dont drive it much so the batt dies. When I go to hit it with a jump pack the manual states pos lead to the remote positive post which is in the fuse box and neg to the the metal bit that sticks out off the engine. It wont work. It only jumps if I direct connect to the battery. Anyone else have this issue with any other vehicle?
>>
>>21193552

its probably not getting a good ground connection. your vehicles battery negative cable basically goes from battery negative to a chassis ground, therefore you can put a booster cable + on the battery +, and the - on a good clean ground such as the alternator mount, motor mount, etc

honestly boosting off the battery should be fine, i have a Silverado that sits 360 days of the year and i constantly boost it off the battery itself, not the stupid fuse box + terminal
>>
>>21185855
Anyone got a good website that sells mods and accesories for mx-5s? Prefferably one that ships to europe.
>>
>>21193567
Ive been jumping it off the batt for some time and never had issue until like 3 days ago I jumped it and now have no radio, chime or turn signal click, pretty sure I blew a fuse just haven't had the time to check. Just didn't know if it was blowing it from shotting the pack direct to the battery. Ill try another cleaner neg post see if that works. I know it has a drain somewhere though, just not a priority to take the time to test with the multi lol
>>
>>21193627

yeah sometimes jumping directly to the batt can do that and blow the fuse, thats why the manual has jumping off the fuse box + and a chassis ground as a technicality. alternator mount should be a fairly clean ground point
>>
File: 6465.gif (2.05 MB, 320x240)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB GIF
>>21193652
I just don't know why it wont jump the way manual wants it with the remote postive- metal neg, I have a stanley 450 amp box its def plenty to turn over that six, it gives power but no crank, put it directly to the batt...bam turns right over like nothing. Fucking modern engines man.
>>
>>21185855
Is it really an upgrade if I buy a new Corolla sedan to replace my aging 95 Camry? Both cars are roughly the same size. My Camry has about 130 hp and the corolla has 169 hp.

I have driven my 95 Camry for over 5 years now and I always postponed my decision to buy a newer car when all my friends and family told me to. I couldn't sell it because it's just so fucking reliable that it makes me wanna keep it till the day I die of oldage. I'm pretty sure this thing will actually outlast me.

But recently, I have been in thoughts of present day cars being way safer all around and I thought of modestly upgrading to a new Corolla. For example, my Camry doesn't have airbags and I do a lot of highway driving so I guess I'm in some death cage already.

Or I'll make the Camry a get-around-town vehicle and make the Corolla to get to far places.

What do you all think?
>>
>>21194120
you don't need two toyotas. get the corolla, the nice ones are nice as far as cheap cars go, and yes, way safer
>>
>>21194138
He can drive and keep whatever he wants. I'm actually impressed by how he wants to invest the cash on buying a Corolla which will itself pay him back in ownership costs over time.
>>
File: 1560512821708.jpg (106 KB, 1080x1148)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
What's a good compression ratio if my local availability is 95 octane?
10:1?
>>
say you find a nice car at a questionably low price
is it a dick move to straight up ask them whats wrong with it? what are the odds they wont just lie to you?

If I do become serious about the car I'll pay for an inspection but never without seeing it in person first to make sure its not a POS
>>
>>21194347
Depends:
>RON or RON+MON/2
>volumetric efficiency
>hotspots in cylinder head
>backpressure
>direct vs port injection
But 10:1 is about what is used in most naturaly economy engines and should work without having to retard timing too much.
>>
I bought a new 2019 Civic EX coupe about six months ago and I'm pretty unhappy with it. The car has a lot of problems, and I should have gotten a four door sedan in the first place. I put $15K down and have about $10K left on the loan, so I'll probably only get $8K out of it. Financially this isn't a big deal to me, what I'm unsure of is whether it's a good decision to go for an AWD Mazda3 sedan instead. Having not yet test drove the Mazda, what are the major differences between them? From my research it seems the Mazda is better in every way save the more sluggish engine. Assuming the SkyActiv X will be available in the states next model year, would I be better off waiting for that?
>>
File: 1564925032091.jpg (125 KB, 1170x1089)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>21194863
>I bought a new 2019 Civic
Lmfao
>>
>>21194863
If you're going with an AWD sedan, the only route to go is Subaru. You can buy a WRX for about 28k new, and it'll have a 6 speed and you'll actually enjoy it while also having utility. I love mine.
>>
Am >>21192327

Checked fuel pressure again. Showed a rather stable 2 bar (well below what the manual/online sources call for) be it at idle or kept at 3500+ RPM. With significant, sudden throttle openings it dips slightly (to about 1.8 or 1.9) for an instant, then it recovers and stays at 2, as RPMs climb/are held

If I just barely press the throttle (to about 900 RPM), the needle bounces very quickly between just above and slightly below 2 bar, it seems to "resonate" around there and fades as RPMs increase/decrease, doesn't seem to happen otherwise

Pressure quickly drops to zero about three seconds after the car stops running, and doesn't build up even after priming and while cranking for 10+ seconds. When I went to check the bleed nipple on the fuel rail, some air fizzled out (I might've done a shit job at bleeding the air out? The car did run okay just before)

The car ran fine, just a bit sputtery at first, but then was mostly normal, all 6 cylinders fired, and there weren't any strange sounds. Did get some white/clear vapor (didn't smell of coolant) and a some water coming out the exhaust, but since it's a cold, humid day I figure it's just condensation/by-product of combustion

Why the hell is there air coming out the fuel rail after the car shuts off? There's no smell of gasoline, and checked to see any drips or wet parts but couldn't find a thing
>>
If i don't drive a car much like once a month, should I disconnect the battery while its sitting
>>
>>21195803
If you want to. Otherwise no.
>>
>>21195803
Put a trickle charger on it nigger, it will be infinitely better. They only cost like $20, you can even install one of the ring terminal plugs to dangle out of the grill or wherever so you don’t have to pop the hood and deal with clamps.
>>
File: IMG_20190809_164406__01.jpg (1.51 MB, 3532x1767)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
>>21185855
Can someone else diagnosis an '05 Liberty that's overheating when not moving? Pic related, 5 minutes in bumper to bumper at 95F temps out.
Fluid levels are good
>>
>>21196075
Does the radiator fan work?
For most cars you can force the fan to kick on by turning on the AC.
>>
>>21196075
check the fan when you get home, if it's spinning it could be the thermostat needs replacing
>>
>>21196075
Looks like the radiator fan isn't spinning. I'll check the fuse first when I limp back home
>>
>>21196084
>>21196097
See
>>21196104
Fan isn't starting when idleing with AC on
>>
What do you look for in a used car warranty for a dealership?
Or should I not even bother?
>>
>>21196104
Had it in for service recently? A friend of mine got his car back from service and they forgot to reconnect the wiring so he was having the same issue of overheating when stationary.
>>
>>21185855
so I've been using a big brake kit for a while now on my daily
it seems like I don't need that much braking power but hey race car bro
it's been like 4 years now and the brake pads haven't even worn half way
are there any problems associated with prolonged brake pad use?
in other words should I get new pads?
>>
>>21195487
Pressure quickly drops to zero about three seconds after the car stops running, and doesn't build up even after priming and while cranking for 10+ seconds.

Leaking injectors
Fuel pressure regulator problem, Weak fuel pump
>>
>>21196109
Bad fan/relay, fcm or wiring.
>>
>>21185855
so i have a 3inch exhaust in my 4banger i was planning to turbo

but in commifornia i need to remove everything to smog it everry 2 years

so would a 3 inch cal universal cat converter filter and flow more than a 2 inch one?
>>
>>21196283
nah only if you somehow burned the pads and warped the rotors

i know a guy that has the original 8 year old pads with plenty of meat still on them
>>
>>21196075
check the thermostat, it might not be opening
>>
>>21196318
>>21196274
>>21196500
Finally got home. 40A fuse visually seems fine. Took a voltage tester to the fan wiring and it lit up, so my inclination is it could be the fan or a sensor. Fan spins freely; I'll be able to spend more time Sunday messing with it. If I cant fix it Sunday, off to the shop she goes :(
>>
>>21196521
Fan clutch? That may not be an electric fan on that car.
>>
>>21196521
>>21196573
I wouldn’t be surprised, fan clutches are one of those things that die on cars around that age and aren’t too difficult or expensive to replace.
>>
>>21185855
I need to replace some bushings in my corrola and i need to know if Whiteline is a good brand for bushings, my other option is MOOG and some other shit. I would like to put quality components into this car because it has served me very well and i want to get it to at least 500k hopefully more.

Also i need to replace 1 brake line because it was damaged and it's a bit cracked and i'm considering steel braided lines because on all the non abs cars i've driven with steel lines, they feel amazing. And my car has no ABS. Can someone recommend me a reputable company that makes lines for a 03 toyota corolla. It has a dead axle in the rear. I found this on amazon, but idk how much i would trust a amazon brand https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07MR5MXZ6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AX5JU0Y5CK3I2&psc=1 I'm willing to pay a fair bit for brakes.

>>21190477
I had that issue on my 2003 toyota corrola CE. diagnosed the problem down to the intake manifold gasket which had cracked and it was sucking in unchecked air, replaced gasket with a new designed orange gasket and it's fine/10. 280k atm. I also did the exhaust gasket while i was at it.
>>
>>21196573
>>21196589
I can manually spin the fan more than 5 rotations which I'm reading is a symptom of a bad clutch.
That looks like a cheap and quick first attempt at fixing this!
>>
>>21196679
>5 rotations
Appears some people say 5 rotations with 1 spin.
That's a big nopes.
>>
File: 1560010394995.jpg (194 KB, 960x682)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
I am going crazy looking for PDFs to:

mini morris Haynes manual

Tuning BL's A Series Engine by David Vizard

And

How To Modify Your Mini by David Vizard.

Anybody got any luck or any links to any of these?

Thanks
>>
>>21196679
>>21196739
If it’s a mechanical fan and the fan isn’t spinning when the engine gets hot, is there even another option? If your car doesn’t have an electric fan, trying to track down fuses and relays is chasing fairies.
>>
File: 1111.gif (280 KB, 1048x727)
280 KB
280 KB GIF
>>21196878
Thanks for weighing in, I keep learning what I can.
Looks like Jeep only has an electrical fan in the Liberty, so the current method of attack is to test the high and low circuits to the fan, then likely replace the fan. Replacing the clutch in the electric fan was a dream.
>>
>>21195803
You need a trickle charger.
>>
>>21196890
Do you have the 4cyl or 6cyl? Lookin at RockAuto, seems that the 4cyl is an electric fan, 6cyl is mechanical with a clutch.
>>
Anyone ever use these ? 12". I just fucking hate being under jack stands even when I have 2 sets of 2 as a backup and spare wheels, etc. Will need to change transmission in my car eventually and the lift is great + stability.
>>
File: 1542759910155.jpg (155 KB, 1080x809)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
Can anyone ID these wheels?
>>
>>21197659
work emotion t7r possibly.
>>
File: inquisitive emma.png (230 KB, 425x270)
230 KB
230 KB PNG
For quickest acceleration, which is best?

WOT while only upshifting at redline
or
WOT with quicker shifting to stay around peak torque?
>>
>>21197766
95% of cars for your quickest time will be at redline.
For all practical purposes, shift 500 - 1000 rpm lower than this to avoid any unnecessary wear and lose minimal 0-60.
>>
>>21197771
I see, thanks. From a standstill that makes sense.

I'm assuming it's the same for motorcycles, save for high-rpm power bands while at speed?
>>
>>21197671
seem about right, thanks fren
>>
2019 mazda 3 or a civic? The mazda would be top trim or the civic an ex. Not really interested in an accord
>>
>>21197848
Get the speed 3 if mazda
>>
>>21197766
Most cars are geared slightly above the end of the torque band at redline, so when you upshift after hitting the redline, it drops you back into the torque band. So by reaching redline over and over again the car stays at relative peak torque/power.

>>21197781
Depends on what you define as high rpm, My Daytona revs to 14k but I'm usually cruising at 5-7k. That's redline for most cars.
>>
>>21197632
If your car is FWD, then dropping the trans will likely involve pulling the wheels, and you won't be able to use ramps. If you're RWD then its likely you won't have.

Stands are still better anyways.
>>
File: 123141414.webm (2.68 MB, 1280x720)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB WEBM
How to not get upset on the road? Shit like this happens way too often, i was 2 inches away from slamming into this stupid fucking cunt it even looks close on the wide angle dashcam lens. No apology, no nothing from her. I got beside her and gave her a full broadside middle finger for a good 15 seconds blaring the horn then cut her off. So fucking sick of this shit even if it makes me go manchild tier sometimes.
>>
Is low mileage ever a concern since the car may have been sitting, or is it better to just go by the current condition
>>
>>21198172
What if there was a website where people could upload videos like this and all the users there would keep an eye out for that license plate and key the person's car if they happen to see it parked, on behalf of the wronged driver?
>>
>>21198188
If the car is older than a decade, current condition is more indicative of how much of a headache it will be. You can't fully trust an odometer reading older than that as its not a punishable crime for odometer rollback for anything that's older than 10 years.
>>
>>21198172
You're clearly the one at fault dude. Granted she may have turned early but you are just as much in the wrong for turning as the light changed, and worse you escalated it by trying to ram her.

If you'd pulled that shit on some asshole with a gun or a beat to shit truck you and or car would have needed to be towed from the accident scene.
>>
>>21198228

You're retarded and don't know how to drive, for one SHE ran a yellow light. I was clearing the intersection, there are no turning lanes at this intersection so i have to wait further than usual to turn but i was waiting at that light the whole time and cleared the intersection like i should have. When you make a left turn you turn into the left lane and when you make a right turn you turn into the right.

>ran a yellow light
>turned into the wrong lane cutting me off as i was legally clearing an intersection

Learn to drive you fucking brainlet.
>>
>>21198218
Hm see that I didn't know. But isnt it nearly impossible to do it in digital displays?
>>
>>21198233
Her right turn on yellow was more legal than you running a red AND sticking out in traffic asshole.

Seriously your piss poor lack of judgement combined with your anger issues means you shouldn't even have license, and probably should be riding the bus.
>>
>>21198249
Nope, software for modifying or hacking ECU's/Gauge clusters for a lot of older cars, is easily available, and very common.

Hell Ferrari got called on it for doing it for a dealership down in Florida on newer cars no too long ago.
>>
>>21198261
Ok, so I guess the only way to find out is to check the vin with a history report and even then they could've just rolled it back before each check
>>
File: integra.jpg (52 KB, 575x431)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
should i buy a 1996 integra?
>>
>>21197277
It's the 3.7L 6 cylinder, but I assure you there isn't any fan attached to the motor.
>>
>>21198253
Technically both in the wrong. He may have barely missed the red, and probably should have never went on yellow ( cant tell by the footage if he was out far enough on the intersection where he had to go, otherwise becoming a hinderance to traffic) but when you turn onto a two lane road and you're in the rightmost lane you stay in that fucking lane all the way through the turn, then check to see if it is ok/safe to change lanes.
>>
File: IMG_20190810_081424__01.jpg (1.55 MB, 2061x2960)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB JPG
>>21196890
>>21197277
>>21196878
Popped the covers on the relays and tried the high and low relays and swapped them without success.
My money is on the electric motor. /blog
>>
when people put a "heavy duty clutch" in would that change how the clutch pedal feels?
>>
>>21198749
Send 12VDC to it with your PowerProbe
>>
>>21196075
>>21196084
>>21196097
>>21196274
>>21196318
A heartfelt thank you to everyone. I swapped out the fan assembly for $80 and no problems this far
>>
>>21198986
Dank. Where did you buy from? RockAuto and Amazon are so much cheaper than the regular stores, but it sucks waiting for parts. You can almost always get 25% off with online ordering-store pickup at Advance and a lot of times that ends up real close to the RockAuto prices.
>>
>>21198253
>>21198699

Her turn was no where near as legal as mine, i think you don't understand what you are seeing in the video. I am deep in that intersection, it's a big intersection so it does not look like it. I am sitting waiting for a clearing or the light to go, i have to sit straight as there are no turning lanes on either side so if i don't i will block incoming traffic. It also means i have to sit a bit further back due to that and the way the intersection is. She also runs a red if you watch the video, not even a yellow.
>>
>>21198228
>>21198253
>>21198699
I want busriders off /o/
>>
>>21198992
Advanced. I pulled the motor and they confirmed it was dead. They didn't have it in stock so I drove across town. Tried to just get the motor, but it was 2 prong instead of 3, so I returned it and bought the whole assembly for $4 less!

Advanced was the cheapest advertised I could find. Good to know about the pickup discount. Saving $15 would be nice; spending $300 more for someone else to do it would have hurt the wallet.
>>
>>21199243
And as for online, I needed a ride for work Monday so it's great to know it'd done and I don't need to pester or pay someone for a ride
>>
>>21199243
>>21199253
Next time you buy from Advance, do the online ordering. Advance has a good website, it will tell you which nearby stores have the product in stock, there is always a 20% or 25% coupon code (just google it or sign up for SpeedPerks), and they’re fast. Whenever I buy something from Advance, I order online and by the time I get dressed and head over there 30min later, it’s ready (or at least in their computer so they can go run and grab it for you). Plus you don’t have to deal with those idiots asking if you have the 4cyl or 6cyl to determine which wiper blades you need.
>>
>>21199074
You ran a red, how hard is this to understand? If you knew damn well you couldn't make the light and felt that you were blocking traffic hen you should have pulled up to the next intersection and doubled back. Pretty much in any state of the US a cop would have and should have written you a ticket.
>>
Should I try to buy a clean looking 96 miata with a hardtop for 3800?
>>
I've done basic wrenching like cooling system and driveline stuff, is putting 302c heads on a 351c too much of a big job or is it pretty straightforward for noobs? I know everything is the same except the chamber size and I'm looking for that compression boost.
>>
>>21198253
>sticking out in traffic asshole.
Read your drivers handbook. retard. Anon is in the right he's the only vehicle on the left and is totally in his legal right to wait in the intersection. He waited until it was totally safe to make the turn. You're retarded for trying to defend the rav4 driver, for one as a person turning you're supposed to yield to any oncoming traffic on a red or a yellow she did not yeild whatsoever, you should be scanning the intersection going through. Not only that the rav4 immediately went into the left lane, idk how it is in your city but anon is a leaf and that's a flat out offense. In any driving test the rav4 would have failed to pass immediately for creating a dangerous situation. He would be in the wrong if: He was a second vehicle and tried to tailgate a vehicle making a left.

The only thing i can fault anon is for not reading the other vehicle better. Don't watch peoples signals, watch their wheels, they'll tell you well in advance what they're about to do. Any defensive driving course teaches that.

Also Lakeshore and Parklawn have the shittiest drivers, most are middle aged women and they are a legitimate menace to society. Almost as bad as Shepherd and Midland with the fucking chinks.

>>21198488
Yes, please don't rice it.

>>21199601
You're retarded. He was totally within Ontario law, waiting in an intersection is completely legal and if you have to go on a red to be safe, that is legal.
>hen you should have pulled up to the next intersection and doubled back.
Busrider leave. Go get your licence and come back.

>>21199881
>302c heads on a 351c too much of a big job or is it pretty straightforward for noobs
If it's just a headswap it's not a big deal, but are you sure that will work? That sounds like the chamber diameter would be different and if the engine is interference you might put the valves in danger.
>>
>>21199074
Thats exactly what i said dude.
>>
>>21199651
yes
>>
>>21200035
Yep the heads are identical just a smaller cc chamber on the 302 head
>>
Can anyone link me to those BMW videos that used to come with the cars when you bought them brand new? Or, just the model testing videos that were from BMW themselves. I feel like I might be describing it badly, but I hope it helps.
>>
My 09 chargers dash had all the dash lights on except cel. It drove fine. The only thing different was that I got a new Sirius radio plugged into the cigarette port. Could it be that the little radio is fucking up my car? I figured it could be a weak battery but after I unplugged the radio it was back to normal what gives?
>>
>>21198228
I don't agree with this. She should have at the very least stayed in the close lane.
>>
>>21197848
Tough call. Test drive both and see what you like. The Civic chassis is excellent but the Mazda interior has better attention to detail.
>>
>>21197766
Depends on the car. Depends on gear spacing and powerband. My car makes peak horsepower at about 4600 rpm but fuel cutoff is at 7600. I shift at about 5k. Above that it just starts to wheeze.
>>
>>21201648
Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAYr1-q5UM0
>>
I am about to buy my first car. My credit card max is ~US$3.5k (I have the savings etc. to pay it off all at once, but I've bought literally nothing on credit before so I want my credit score to go up) and I live in NZ where the market is dominated by jap cars.

I'm going to get some financing to extend my budget to the ~US$3.8k to buy a 2007 Mazda Axela 1.5l with ~111,000km on it. Mechanic is going to do a full check on it in the next few days.

Is this a mistake? Superficially it's very tidy and driving it seemed breddy gud, but the cars I've driven myself are a shitty old Barina, a March, and my buddy's old Ford flatback truck. I have no mechanical experience but I really want to learn to maintain it myself as much as possible.
>>
>>21201906
It’s a Chrysler. Just sell the thing. Halfway joking but halfway serious, if any car is going to have crazy interference and electrical gremlins from a Sirius radio, it’s a Chrysler.
>>
File: Panic.gif (432 KB, 328x207)
432 KB
432 KB GIF
I LITERALLY CANNOT FIGURE THIS OUT HOLY SHIT BROS END IT

>Got a toyota corolla early 2000ish for first car
>Decide to get a little toolkit for my car
>research and see all these horror stories about some of those huge 300 piece sets are missing a wrench or ratchet size
>Then there's sets with SAE and Metric so that makes it even more confusing

HELP ME BROS which tool kit should I get that's good for my car, I'm a beginner I don't want to fuck this up. I'm fucking freaking out
>>
>>21202214
Oi, this one...

No kit will come with everything. And no car will require every tool that comes in a kit.

Sears sells these 300-400pc tool kits for ~$150 (buy online and pick up in store an hour later, will be way cheaper) and those are pretty good to get you started. Then go to Harbor Freight and get yourself a 1/2” drive 24” breaker bar for $15, a pliers set for $10, and drop $100 on a jack and a couple stands.

You don’t have to go with those brands and stores, but pretty much this:
>Ratchet set with 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2” drive ratchets and sockets, metric and SAE
You may only need metric for the Toyota, but then when you need a 1/2” socket for something around the house, you will be fucked
>combination wrench set- Metric + SAE
>Screwdrivers, hex and torx keys
>pliers set
>1/2” breaker bar
>jack
>jack stands

I’ll add a tester light to that too since it’s <$5. It’s a few hundred bucks, but you will make it up the first job or two you do yourself. As you get more into it, you can invest the money you saved over a shop into more tools like flex head ratchets and u-joints to make it easier to access shit, scan tool, impact gun, etc.
>>
>>21202214
>>21202287
Also, what exactly are you trying to do? At bare minimum, get a 3/8” drive socket set, a combination wrench set, and a screwdriver set that comes with all the torx bits.

Pic related is another good set to get you going, it’s $199 from Home Depot and if you ever break something, bring it right back and they will replace it..

It irks me that these “Mechanic’s Sets” never come with pliers, but you can always find the 5pc assortment for ~$20.
>>
>>21202214
3/8 metric socket set, metric spanners, pliers, screwdrivers and a hammer. That will get you started
>>
>>21202303
>>21202303
>lso, what exactly are you trying to do

I'm going to

>change the IAC Valve
>change ignition coils
>change battery
>change tires
>change oil
>>
>>21202337
This >>21202316 except if burger, the metric stuff will be useless on lots of stuff around the house. So many sets include both that I would recommend both if you’re getting your first tools. If it’s a spare kit to keep in the car, metric only is probably fine. And make sure the “screwdriver” part of that at least includes hex/torx keys and/or a driver with all those bits, not sure about Toyota but tons of cars have all sorts of shit secured with torx screws instead of typical + or -.

For oil changes, jack + stands, drain pan, funnel, oil filter wrench (sometimes you can use your hand on the filter but Jiffy Boys like to crank them on).

If coils include spark plugs, make sure your socket set has some extensions and a spark plug socket that fits your plugs.

>changing tires
Are you sure about that? That’s one of those jobs that even shadetree mechanics will pay for because it’s a pain in the ass to mount and balance your own tires and shops will do it for pretty cheap. And for lug nuts, the 3/8” socket set is going to be tough for getting those off, which is why a larger set with 1/2”, 3/8”, and 1/4” drive ratchets and sockets would be better. A 1/2” breaker bar helps too because Pep Lube likes to overtighten wheels and you don’t want to hut yourself or your ratchet trying to loosen them.
>>
Suddenly, I can't put in 1st or 2nd gear on my 1985 w124 250D. Everything worked perfectly yesterday. When you try to jam it into first, it goes to third, and when you try second, it just stays in neutral. All other gears work fine.

What the fuck?
>>
>>21202422
yes.
>>
>>21196848
https://mega.nz/#!r5IUwASC!1zU3nbv_0-gTXuFT3dKrENFX5sLrevx1F1I04fVzdcg
I'm looking for the david vizard books too! good luck
>>
So I picked up a new job at the end of last snow season at a ski resort. It snows like crazy up here in the mountains but I haven't had to really deal with it yet. I'll be driving up at night and then back down again in the morning, maybe before the road has been plowed. Apparently it can be up to 20 inches a night and I've never really dealt with that so I'm a little nervous. Vehicle I'll be driving is a pretty shitty, high mileage company pickup, but with good snow tires. If anyone has any general tips for me about driving through mountain roads under these conditions, I'd really appreciate it.
>>
File: 7(1).jpg (496 KB, 1600x1200)
496 KB
496 KB JPG
>>21185855
I asked in one of these threads a couple of days ago what is wrong with my facelift W203 which blows warm air out of left AC zone and the right side is cold. Some anon said it is blend door or arm. I tried since changing temperature on the left side while the car was warmed up and I could change from warmy / ambient like (while set around middle on the knob, 22 degrees C) to red hot (when set to HI). My question now is, is it possible that it is not faulty blend door or arm? I heard this problem usually indicates to duo valve, but this car doesnt have that as far as I know?
>>
File: e5244.jpg (35 KB, 560x560)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
How bad is it to use oil gauges to estimate oil level? Noticed it was reading a bit lower than normal one day and sure enough it was running low. Just wondering if it's bad for the car to do so.
>>
>>21202682
You also could just need it recharged. If you haven't already definitely check you still have enough refrigerant.
>>
>>21202672
Is it RWD or 4WD?

Do the same thing my mom made me do when I was 16- first real snow of the winter, she told me to take the car to an empty parking lot and spin it around so I knew what it was like.

I drifted the hell out of that Explorer for the next 5 winters. Then I got a FWD shitbox that was awful because understeer is scary while oversteer is fun, and it also had a TC that completely cut throttle as soon as the wheels would spin, so I found out I can override it by clicking the handbrake one notch because sometimes when you’re understeering and about to hit something on the right, you need to start spinning the wheel to the left.

For real though, 20” of snow is stupid. Don’t get stuck. Wait it out until the plows get there if it’s a danger to your safety. And learn the roads real well because the asphalt and lanes will disappear with enough snow and wind.

>>21202707
Bad. If you’re waiting for the oil level to drop enough to see that the oil pressure is low, you are way past the point you needed to add some.
>>
There's a car I want thats around 85k. Is it true that most cars start to break down around the 100k mark and the stage where they require the most maintenance, even a corolla?
>>
>>21202770
Depends what work is done and how the car was maintained. Year matters too, I would much rather have a 2014 with 100k miles than a 2005 with 80k miles.

Cars are getting more and more dependable though. Most cars will go 150k-200k easily on the original engine and trans with minimal basic maintenance (assuming any previous owners didn’t fuck them up). 100k-150k tho, you’re going to need to do some work. Some suspension parts get old and the ride gets sloppy, alternator and water pump like to go around 125k in a lot of cars in my experience, maybe some gaskets and a few electronics here or there. But that stuff is all like $150 or less if you can do the work yourself.

It’s a crapshoot. Do your research and find out what parts are failing on what cars, and ask for service history on cars. If you get that 2014 with 100k miles on it, but that person was doing those on a long highway commute to work and just had new struts, tie rod ends, plugs and coils, brakes, and tires last year, it would definitely be better than that 2005 with 85k that is still on its original brake pads.
>>
>>21202802
>more and more dependable
By this I mean you don’t have a 90% chance of the trans failing by 150k unless it’s a total dogshit model of car.

More electronics and sensors means more stuff to break, but that’s a much bigger issue when you try to buy older premium cars like some 2003 AMG and then you get pissed when the 17 year old infotainment system dies and Vatozone doesn’t have a cheap aftermarket replacement.
>>
I'm buying my first car (gonna stop borrowing my mom's old car) and I'm choosing between two options: The Kia Forte and the Mazda 3. The Forte is cheapest by about 4 grand, but the Mazda's engine and transmission just feel so much better to drive. Which should I go with?
>>
File: Dgh6j-3XUAARpFG.jpg (440 KB, 2048x1858)
440 KB
440 KB JPG
my brake fluid is pretty dark so i want to change it. does it matter what i put in? i know not to use dot5 but does it matter what brand of dot3/4 i put in? should i just use the cheap stuff or spend double for something like pentosin? and has anyone had success with the vinyl tubing and plastic bottle method? i would need to flush my brakes alone because no friends.
>>
>>21202832
buy a used camry
>>
>>21202802
Its an older 2002 but the seller isnt selling it at a premium cuz of low miles
>>
File: M288969_2.jpg (115 KB, 1024x676)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
Do you guys have any ideas what the indicated part is? The engine is Toyota 1ZR
>>
How bad is it for a car to drive really short distances on the daily. My commute is only 3km and Im afraid im fucking up my car this way.

Inb4 walk/use a bicycle
>live in middle of nowhere south of italy
>burning hot sun and no shade
>have to wear suit for work
>>
>>21202929
Rusts out your exhaust from all the water vapor that collects.
>>
>>21202862
Suck out all you can from your reservoir, pop that bitch off your master. Clean it thoroughly, dry it with compressed air. Put it back, fill it with new dot3 or whatever your car needs. Bleed all 4 corners from the caliper bleeders in order. Keep eue on res while bleeding Do not let that res get too low or youll suck air into your brake lines. Prestone dot3 should be fine.
>>
>>21202935

Any tips or should I just buy the cheapest shitbox ever to commute to work?
>>
>>21202929
engines wear most during start up and before theyre warmed up. nothing much you can really do about it other than drive it gently. that said its not as if your engine is going to start burning oil because of it. i wouldnt worry about it.
>>
File: IMG_20190811_152505.jpg (155 KB, 691x454)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
What's the best way to clean a dissasembled head before having it sent off to the machine shop? They don't sell CLR where I live

Also I'm going to get the head machined flat, when putting a head back on do I need to have my engine block machined too?
>>
>>21202126
Yeah sure gotta start somewhere. Axela isn't a bad car.
I don't know how you plan to use a credit card to buy a used car though. Go to a credit union and get pre-approved for a loan.
>>
>>21202870
Damn, that’s an older car. Keep in mind that lots of stuff degrades over time even if the car wasn’t being driven a bunch. If it was parked outside, paint gets all of that sun, all of the rubber throughout the car will degrade, etc. Don’t get ripped off on an old car because it has a rolled back odometer or whatever, unless the thing is going to be a collector’s item and you’re barely going to drive it or it’s super super low miles from some old lady who only used it to drive to church on Sundays and kept it parked in the garage with fresh oil every 3 months.

>>21202929
All of those start cycles are going to be harder on it than somebody who drives the same 40km a week but only one day. But it will take years for that stuff to go out on you, maybe the starter will die 20k km earlier than another car with longer commutes, but that other car is going to have more km’s on it.

Change your oil at the shorter end of the recommended intervals I guess. Don’t wait 20k kms to do it because it will be like 2+ years between oil changes. Don’t slam on the gas until the thing gets warmed up. The main thing you will probably notice is your batteries dying faster than other people with long commutes, especially if you hop in the car with music blasting and AC on 5/5 every day, there isn’t much time for the alternator to top off the battery. So maybe you get 3-4yrs from a battery that would last 5-6yrs with more normal diving.
>>
i cant find an owners manual for my 99 cherokee, where can i find one for free/cheap or is 28 dollars on ebay a fair price?
>>
>>21204070
I think i found something for you
https://mega.nz/#!nkgGXAgB!1TZrslmNaeQabP5H59hpRgCHCexCM_M1WPKZ-XG8HTA

https://mega.nz/#!Lopw0ITK!mLl5pHmnO3vCOsxT03S7Ue1Ii6syaw4B3yv2SZmJVmc
>>
What website do you buy car accessories from?
>>
>>21204126
thanks, but i dont have to run that exe do i? looks good otherwise
>>
Have an oil leak in my engine on deceleration. While researching I discovered that the pcv pulls oil through it sometimes under high vacuum conditions. Some people just vent their crankcase to atmosphere. My question is are these people just leaving power on the table by not running a pcv? It was my understanding that running vacuum in your crankcase helped the rings seat and helped power production. Am I missing something here or are these people retarded? This isn't a new concept/discovery or anything, drag racers have known this for decades, so what's with these people just venting to atmosphere?
>>
>>21204156
The exe is safe, it just helps you navigate all the PDFs
>>
>>21204188
I don't know but just put in a new or better pcv valve.
>It was my understanding that running vacuum in your crankcase helped the rings seat and helped power production.
There's no vacuum at WOT so I don't think that's the case but I don't know.
>>
File: img_4491.jpg (400 KB, 1500x1000)
400 KB
400 KB JPG
What the hell is wrong with my AC?
> 2007 euro civic (the UFO)
> While standing still, the AC blows cold
> while driving in the city, the AC blows cold
> driving at 70 the AC blows cold
> get up to 90/110 and the AC just gives up
> get to a village, slow down to 70, the AC blows cold (not instantly, but quite quickly)
> village ends, speed up to 90, the AC gives up.
Already checked the refrigerant, the mechanic added 200g and said all the pressures are right. And I almost froze my face off while testing it at the mechanic. So the system does work, only not at highway speeds.
>>
File: received_1259944024164480.jpg (258 KB, 1536x2048)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
What kind of car is this?
>>
>>21204314
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Coup%C3%A9
also called a pocket ferrari by some, as you can clock the turbo easily up and have 200+kw in a car that weighs about 1.2 tons. Also, fairly cheap.
>>
>>21204344
Thanks a lot anon!
>>
Im unironically thinking of buying a new mx-5. Should I do that if I barely would go roofless?
>>
What's the best new or late model truck out there? I want it for comfy cruising, occassionally towing cars, more often towing quads, and I want something 4x4 so I don't have to drive my econobox when the roads ice over. I was looking at new Rangers but I'm not sure if they'd be up to towing a car.
>>
>>21204465
New trucks are way too expensive for what they are, especially fords. The f150 3.5l ecoboost could do what you want but with a 4x4 youre into the high 40s range in price. You might want to look into a 2003 - 2006 GM truck. If you have a lot of money you could buy one from the powerstrokehelp guy.
>>
>>21204480
You sure? I checked out the Ford site and an F150 with the 3.5 and 4x4 is reading about $39k.
>>
>>21204616
I might be misremembering, but last time i built an XLT with a crew cab long bed 3.5l fx4 it was like 50. You could probably get one for that much but why bother? Its so barebones. I would look at used but if you want a ford truck new i would go with the f150 xlt with the 3.5 and probably an extended cab and probably fx4
>>
>>21204634
I don't really care about new or used. I just want a comfy truck for cruising and hauling my shit around.
>>
Can I use a ball joint removal tool that isn't the exact size of the ball joint?
>>
hey bros, i gotta get a new gas tank cap for my car, but cuckauto is giving me the option for vented and non-vented? what is vented for? should I get it?
>>
>>21204188
>I discovered that the pcv pulls oil through it sometimes under high vacuum conditions.
Either your engine is on its last leg or this is just ""normal"" for your vehicle. You can run an oil catch can or air/oil seperator to deal with that. Lots of if not all forced induction engines do.
>>
>>21204740
Whatever works.
>>
>>21205086
Get oem
>>
>>21205137
thanks man
>>
Newfag to owning a car here. I'm also this guy: >>21202126

This little Mazda has the Japanese 1.5l engine and I am wondering if it is feasible to affordably add a turbo for better fuel economy & performance. Most of the documentation I've found around turbocharging engines isn't for such tiny little baby engines though.

Will there be problems with engine lifespan if I turbocharge? Will it cost too much to turbocharge this little econobox? Will the performance and economy gains be so minimal as not to be worth bothering?
>>
>>21205263
For you to see MPG gains in a NA car that has had a turbo added to it, it has to be tuned in a such a way to take advantage of turbo, and size of the turbo comes in to play with that. Most of the time when you slap a turbo on any thing that didn't come from the factory as such, you see a performance gain yes but at the same time your MPG's suffer.

> I've found around turbocharging engines isn't for such tiny little baby engines though.

There are plenty of 1.5 Miata's out there running turbos.

>Will there be problems with engine lifespan if I turbocharge? Will it cost too much to turbocharge this little econobox?

Yes but not significantly, and where the HP bump is worth several grand to you or not is, entirely up to you, with a properly sized turbo you can easily add 1/4 more power before significantly over-stressing the engine.
>>
>>21202910
Not a Toyota guy but given its position on the intake it maybe a crank case breather/Valve.
>>
>>21202422
Either your linkage is fucked or something much worse has went wrong with in the transmission, like a bent shifter fork.
>>
How do you go fast without "launching"? My car came with a 5500rpm 2 step, and maybe is the best way to go fast, but I'm certainly not using it on my daily driver. I know cars always have a lower 5-60 than 0-60 so I guess it's impossible.
>>
>>21205297
What would that kind of tuning involve? Is it all done via the ECU or is it manual valve fiddling?
>>
Should I trust the cheap ass oil that oil cha ge shops will out in my car? I usually do my own but I recently moved out of my parents pretty far away into an apartment and don't have a jack or anything. They charge 20 dollars.
>>
>>21205365
Going fast is launching, dude. If you don't want to dump the clutch at 5500 then don't Rev to 5500. Dumping the clutch is still going to be involved.
>>
>>21205437
Pretty much any car made after 94 its all ECU tuning, and its recommended a professional shop do it.
>>
>>21205513
You know, I knew I already knew the answer to the question so I wasn't expecting an answer, but why bother wasting your own time responding if you don't know either?
>If you don't want to dump the clutch at 5500 then don't Rev to 5500
So you don't know what a 2 step is either?
>>
I was asking about trucks earlier. Are the new Ram 1500s good? You can get one for a very fair price. I know a lot of Chrysler shit is shitty, but the 98 Ram we had was pretty good.
>>
>>21205505
Buy a jack and jackatands. Or at the very least just jackstands and use your cars scissor jack.

I dont trust most shops to use good oil and filter unless i can see them do it.
>>
>>21205549
Your mother is a 2 step whore :^}
>>
Getting a car for cheap from a family member soon, a vw touran 08 model with a 1,9 tdi 6 speed.
5 gear syncho is fucked can only go into gear when I get the revmatch perfect, if not it makes a horrible sound.
How difficult is it to change a syncho ring? I am pretty experienced working on cars just not on transmissions. Have a shit load of tools in my garage so thats not a problem, have access to a lift as well.
>>
File: 1562957401944.jpg (3.52 MB, 2400x1691)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB JPG
Why won't my car start? Here's a video of me trying to start it: https://streamable.com/u2x06
>>
>>21206415
It's a 2004 Elantra by the way
>>
>>21206219
That's the sort of problem I'd ignore and just double-clutch.
>>
>>21206415
Your terminals need cleaning/tightening, or your grounds and connections to the alternator or block are loose/need cleaning, or the battery doesn't have enough juice turn the starter over, which either means your battery is bad or the alternator isn't charging as it should.
>>
>>21205505
It’s going to be basic, basic stuff. Take a look and see if they even change your filter. Most places don’t make money on the $20 oil changes, they do it so cheap so they can get you in the door and upsell you on other services like a $20 air filter that costs them $5 or tell you you’re due for a $600 brake job.

Also this >>21206066 if you want to use good oil. You won’t save any money using the cheap shit, but you can get good oil and a filter for <$30 and the Jiffy Boys will charge you $90 for that same oil change. You will also know that it was done right and some dumb motherfucker didn’t strip the fuck out of your drain plug.

>>21205813
Even in the past 3-4 years, I haven’t heard great things about Chrysler products. The owner of the tire shop a few months back was telling me about his son’s brand new RAM that would go haywire whenever he drove it in the rain and Chrysler wanted to keep messing with him so old man tire shop owner had to go in there and lay down the law like “My son is a disabled Vet and just bought a brand new truck from you and you’re going to jerk him around like this?!”
>>
How retarded am I? I'm looking at a 1987 Camaro as a first car (pic related). 165000 km and buyer is certifying (Ontario canada so we have safety certs). I don't know much about cars and this one passes all the basic checks when I've looked at used cars before. Ontario certs are pretty strict so the seller certifying it for me gives me some solid confidence in the shape of the car, he also did just replace brakes, drums, stabilizer arms, and cat converter. Should I even be considering this or should I drop it?
>>
>>21206219
Gearboxes are finicky. It can be done but you will likely need special tools.
>>
>>21207628
You gonna give us a price champ?
>>
>>21204308
How much throttle do you have to give it to go that fast? Most vehicles will kick the compressor off after you push the throttle past a certain point, it assumes your passing or something and need the power.
>>
>>21207660
3300 canuck bucks
>>
>>21207668
Hmm kind of high but I know you pay more up there. Probably a decent price if the condition is as good as you say it is
>>
>>21205505
They may or may not actually change the oil and filter. It may or may not be filled to the correct level. They may or may not remember to replace the oil cap. They will strip, crossthread or overtorque the drain plug.
>>
>>21205521
Assuming the ECU is even programmable/ flashable. If not you would need to go aftermarket with like a MegaSquirt 3. Fortunately people are turboing Miata 1.5 liters so there should be a resources out there. I think the newer Mazda engines that are high compression require a relatively large turbo.
>>
i have noisy tappets, one last thing i haven't tried is using oil additives, i read on a forum someone claiming they use diesel engine oil for a couple thousand miles because it has strong detergents in it, and when draining it out there's always a lot of crud coming out, and it stops the tappet noise when putting recommended oil back in.

is this a meme or worth trying?
>>
>>21206463
>>21207645
Alright, thanks. I have just skipped 5th gear most of the time when I'm driving the car anyways.
>>
>>21207719
Oh you're talking about that old Axela. They don't have high compression or direct injection, which makes them easier to turbo. But realistically the easiest and cheapest way to do it is run just like 4-5 lbs of boost and have an ECU piggyback that increases fuel under boost. It will give you worse mpgs but more power. But yeah you could probably get a whole turbo kit for the thing for a couple grand if it's the same engine used in the Miata. Also I think maybe they used that engine in like rhe Protege or something that could be optioned with a factory turbo. Is it a BP motor?
>>
>>21207668
Worth
>>
File: VID_20190812_163646.webm (1.43 MB, 1920x1080)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB WEBM
Blown head gasket?
>>
>>21207721
Whack a bottle of lifter free in it. Worked really well on my car
>>
>>21207872
Lmao what do you think?
>>
>>21207893
Well I was hoping it's not a warped engine block, but yea
>>
>>21207968
Usually heads get twisted first before the block anyway
>>
>>21207884
for how many miles? few hundred or regular interval?
>>
>>21205337
I figured it out. It's part of a variable intake system.
>>
what are some redflags when buying a shitbox? and I really mean a fucking shitbox.
I don't care about anything except its ability of going from point A to B without imploding with me inside or anything
>>
>>21208125
Major rust on frame, slipping transmission, milky engine oil. Don't buy from poor people. Japanese cars apart from Nissan are on the whole more reliable than non-Japanese cars (this is not debateable don't @me). Research the specific model and year you are looking at and check online for the most common issues.
>>
Ok bros

Today I decided to do a trick that I learned online to check if the ignition coil was the problem.

I swapped Ignition coil D with B.

Ran the code check, and for some reason the error code disappeared.

What the fuck happened?

I still had another error code for the car still present so what I ended up doing was clearing codes to see if I could check if the ignition coil problem popped up again.

Not only did the code not pop up
No code popped up

I'm freaking out now for some reason, what the hell happened?
>>
File: 1527189040394.png (9 KB, 493x472)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
Parents and I are planning on buying an old shitbox to learn manual in because we're all grown adults who've only driven autos all our lives
Uncle said 90s hondas are the best to learn manual in, is this true?
>>
>>21207664
none. I push "resume" on the cruise control and sit like a slob.
>>
Is it dumb to let my petrol car warm up before setting off?
>>
I've had my car for a year now, its a 2009 Buick Lucerne, and had a really sobering experience with a coolant leak that has got me more into caring for my car, and I want to start tiptoeing into more basics, like basic maintenance myself, knowing what is common to fault in this car. Its hard to find much online since its a buick and supposted to be a boomer sedan, but its one of the comfiest cars I've ever been in and is just about to approach 100k
>>
Does the officially listed weight for a car include the wheels? Dumb question, I know, but google tells me nothing.
>>
>>21208680
Yes. Curb weight is what you speak of. The gross weight is maximum weight.
>>21208666
I think it is lucifer. You can warm it up with gentle moderate driving instead of getting zero mpg. It should be sufficient to warm just long enough to stabilize rpm and get oil pressure. Five or ten seconds.
>>
>>21208618
No. They are hard to stall but are persnickety bitches and you get a lot of jumping around if you don't sneak into every gear.

Fight me?
>>
>>21208587
B position gets hotter. It takes the coil a while to heat to the point of failure and may never get that hot in new position. Other codes were related. That's muh guess.
>>
>>21208125
The best shit box will have original radio. Aftermarket electronics means that someone has been fucking around all up in that shit. If not, I would want to see recipt for valid installation and not from a place that also sells video games.
>>
>>21208884
So do you recommend I change the coil still?
>>
Do you guys think I can use 230mm rear rotors if the oem ones are 232mm?
>>
>>21208678
What engine does it have? If it's a 3800 Series III most info from the Series 2 should be similiar
>>
what companies are building the best brake pads? looking for the ol 'i drive it everyday but sometimes i get a bit spicy on the tooj'
>>
What are your thoughts on brands like Mercedes-Maybach and Rolls Royce, luxury cars?
>>
>>21208618
It doesn’t matter. Learning manual is easy, mastering it takes time. An old Honda doesn’t have any torque though so they’re easier to stall than a pickup truck with a V8 and low 1st gear. But the pickup truck will probably have a heavier clutch so whatever.

Just buy a shitbox with a solid trans, a clutch that isn’t complete toast and a tight linkage so you can actually feel where the gears are.

>>21207713
>They will strip, crossthread or overtorque the drain plug.
Well at least you’re getting something for your $20.

>>21208914
Stoptech and EBC are two popular companies for shit like that. Make sure your brake fluid isn’t old as dirt.
>>
>>21190149
No.
>>21192024
There are safer and more considerate ways. I know a few who have had success. You should pale a thread and hear all the stories.

>>21196264
Not only not bother but, read carefully to make sure they are not writing it into the deal. Go get your own warranty.
>>
>>21208894
I would not if it doesn't f up in that position. You can always change it later if it does. I don't think it will leave you stranded on the side of the road.
>>
>>21207628
Not retarded.
>>
>>21207974
This.
>>
How long should I let my car warm up before checking the oil?
>>
>>21209090
Don't. Check it after sitting on a flat surface for hours.
>>
>>21208894
No. You fixed it.
>>
>>21208899
Yes. That's only one mm when you measure from center to outside.
>>
On a FWD car, is it a bad idea to get higher quality front brake discs, but lower quality cheaper rear ones?
>>
>>21209170
No, most of the braking is done by the front something like 70/30
>>
File: 1686321.gif (47 KB, 800x750)
47 KB
47 KB GIF
Petrol or diesel?
>>
>>21209402
Diesel based on pic provided.
>>
Is a turbo blanket a good idea for keeping a relatively new car in stock form? I won't be tuning for a while until I get money for dp/fp and exhaust or maybe intake first... Otherwise, I'll save for an intercooler.
>>
>>21207566
I just test drove a new F150 XLT 3.5 and a new Ram 1500 Tradesman 5.7. Subjectively, I liked the Ram better. I liked the ride and the V8 rumble. Objectively, it's still a Chrysler product and the Ford still has 2 more gears in the trans. The Ford was also a good 9k more expensive though.
>>
>>21209856
Nvm I'm not buying a Dodge kek. The dealer was actually telling me about some electronic shifting thing the trucks do and I googled it and found out what he was talking about. Apparently on some of these trucks the solenoid isn't strong enough to get it from park into drive. I'll stick with muh Ford.
>>
Trying to unscrew these, yes they are screws, but I’m having trouble because I don’t know if there’s a tool that can do it and they’re way to stiff to do it by hand
Any idea if there is a tool for these, and if so, what?
>>
>>21210603
maybe take a pair of needlenose and wrap some masking tape around the flats
>>
hello, I'm considering a Subaru Forester for the rear space with the back seats folded down, also kind of like the mild off road ability although that's not critical
But I've read lots of negative stories about subaru reliability. What other cars should I consider? Honda CRV?
whatever I get will be used and a few years old
>>
>>21210711
Subarus aren't bad in general. Best if you can avoid the ej25.
>>
so my inner cv boot moved while i was changing my lower control arm, and now the boot is leaking grease. it's not from a normal crack in the boot, it's coming out where the boot meets the axle.

mechanic has already told me recently the whole cv axle needs replaced soon, so i'm doing that as soon as i have the money, but i DON'T have the money as is and i'm not comfortable diy-ing this. it's been clicking in turns for about a month and now i can hear the grease splattering as i drive.

would you drive this to work for a few more weeks (~15 miles a week), or would you start ubering until you could fix it?
>>
>>21210822

its a gamble, ive driven on a bad CV axle for months before i changed it, but remember if it completely dicks you risk stripping the splines in the trans and dicking the trans too
>>
99.5-00 7.3 or 05-07 6.0
>>
>>21210822

Just get a CV off of rockauto if it's just for your shitbox DD/DD quick, i got one for like 80 fucking dollars for my shitbox and that's in CAD so it's going to be even cheaper if you are an American. The labour for putting in a CV is not going to be fuck all and i bet you could have every said and done for i don't know 300 bucks including the cost and shipping of the CV.
>>
>>21210834
gotcha. guess i won't risk it then

>>21210924
i've checked out how to vids on it for my car and i don't feel safe doing it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it's a newer corolla so everything's cramped and my experience with the control arm has scared me out of working on my own suspension for this car

my initial quote for someone else to do it was $450, but i only work part time so i don't have that money yet. i plan on asking around, but i can't imagine finding anything lower than maybe $350 in the area
>>
>>21210948

I am saying buy the CV and have someone else put it in. I assume those quotes you got were them buying a CV as well. You could cut the cost down a bit.
>>
>>21210952
ok gotcha. there's only one mechanic nearby who accepts customer provided parts, but i could maybe find a rando who knows his shit to do it cheaper
>>
File: 69451.jpg (198 KB, 1194x603)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>21185855
Why do manufacturers make base model wheels look so bad?
>>
File: CosyVehicleImage.png (371 KB, 1330x570)
371 KB
371 KB PNG
>>21211370
They're likely more aerodynamic, they tend to put ugly as fuck wheels on the green versions of cars.
>>
Use parking/e break on an automatic? Why or why not?
>>
>>21211611
use it often. otherwise it's more likely to seize and snap when you really need it and you'll have no warning before that. always check it after letting someone else work on your rear brakes because fuckers won't tighten it down enough the first time.
>>
>>21211611
I always do. I'm seemingly the only motherfucker who stomps that ebrake in the truck. I don't like letting the vehicle rest on the transmission, especially on a hill.
>>
New Thread - >>21212052

New Thread - >>21212052

New Thread - >>21212052

New Thread - >>21212052

New Thread - >>21212052

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.