[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: sc400.jpg (121 KB, 903x600)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
19, decided to stop being a NEET and got a half decent $20/hr job. Now I have $3500 to spend on a car. Redpill me on these,
>>
Working for your dad doesn't disqualify you being a NEET
>>
>>21066086
What about if you get a biweekly allowance with direct deposit?
>>
>>21066079
The one I'm buying is $2700 and it has 140,000 and a clean title but a broken passenger door and ugly wheels.
>>
>>21066086
Funny but unfortunately close. Dad's friend.
>>
>>21066079
Good but no manual
>>
>>21066079
Can you afford the gas?
>>
>>21066079
Save more for a better car.
>>
File: sc3000000.jpg (224 KB, 1035x701)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
>>21066079
don't be this idiotic with the car

its a luxury GT cruiser. treat it as such.
>>
What market are you in?

I’ve owned my1992 Soarer for going on two years. My car is a 1JZ with a factory r154. Has been super reliable so far. Only mechanical failure has been slaver/master clutch cylinders.

Interior bits go to shit quick. Keep it covered and dark window tint if you live in a sunny climate. Door cards and air vents are the worst.

Otherwise these are great cars. Basically extended Silvias or a poor mans Supra
>>
>>21066978
OP>>21066079
>>
>>21066079
I had an sc300 and loved it. Never fucked with the v8 400 though. Interiors all seem to have falled apart. Try to find clean interior bits online to replace all the fucked up ones in your car. Also, fuel pumps and gauge clusters are a known issue on the 300, would assume the 400 probably has similar problems.
>>
>>21066953
Id drive that desu
>>
>>21066267 This
Save for a better car. Any car. Lexus is hot garbage
>>
>>21067049
Seething eurofag

Fuck off, Lexus is a fine company. Go cry more over your dying Cavalier sedan.
>>
>>21066079
They're good cars, but Lexus V8s get shitty gas mileage and requiring premium octane further exacerbates the problem. Not a good option if you're a wagecuck. You can probably budget for it by not driving it much or being more frugal with your income and just hope that nothing breaks on it.
>>
>>21067057
A "Fine" company that lost my business when my 2 year old GS300 timing chain failed, causing some pretty expensive damage and then refused to cover the repairs under warranty because "I should have been personally inspecting it before I drove" not the dealership where I had my maintenance done.
I would never recommend any toyota or lexus to anyone. Maybe I am seething, but it's for good reason.
>>
>>21066978
That is sick
>>
>>21066978
This....soarers are coming into the USA cheap now.

There are clean single owner SC’s out there but it’s just dumb luck you find one for sale
>>
>>21067108
lol welcome to the Lexus experience. Did they offer you a $50 gift card to not mention it?
>>
>>21067108
That sucks you have bought a lemon, but how many lemons does toyota make compared to other companies? Dealerships can be shitty across the board too.
>>
>>21067127
Nope, the offered to see me in court if I really wanted, but I was going to dental school at the time and had no time for that shit unfortunately.
>>
>>21067114
Thanks m8. Here’s the daily

>>21067124
Got mine for a steal. Cheaper than buying an equally clean shell and swapping all the parts in. And more reliable (probably)
>>
From what ive seen the control arm bushings you need the entire arm and its like 700 each. I think you can do it cheaper though. But be aware.

Thats the only issue I know of. The none vvti sc300 have strong rods that can be boosted stock, but lets face it. Good luck finding a decent priced sc300 with low miles or perfect maintenance. The vvti, 97+ sc300s have weak rods like the is300 and require upgrade for boost. But at your age you can enjoy the car more since youll have less time driving than old fart like me.

The sc400, which Ive had, is nice comfy cruiser with power. Apparently that engine stock can handle 80 or 100 shot of nitrous stock lol. But again why do that.

They look awesome lowered on some wheels with a nice lip.

When I was selling mine it was so difficult. No one wanted it. I sold it a few years after the 08 crash though so keep that in mind. But from what Ive seen these cars only sell to Lexus owners or old sc owners, meaning youll be stuck with it.

Theyre great though.
>>
>>21067541
Nice

I daily a LS430. Just spent $3k on timing chain, tires, brakes, and some other odds and ends, and still have it going in for paint correction and tints next week. I feel like a Mb owner right now, but at least it’s the first work in 3 years of ownership, all preventative shit that will keep me driving that syrupy beast for a long time.
>>
>>21067596
making me feel slightly less shitty about the money ive been spending on an a cheap ass sw20 mr2 that im trying to save. already spent 400$ on tires. it still needs timing belt done which is this week. then a bunch of other misc shit. trying to talk myself out of spending 3 to 4 k dollars to have it resprayed in its factory metallic green pearl
>>
>>21067611
Heh, yeah the paint guy is actually recommending a hood and trunk respect. But he’s going to do touch up and then correct. It will look good enough from 10-15 feet away. It already does when freshly waxed. But the Florida the original owner really managed to get a lot of contaminants baked into the clearcoat somehow (lived in NYC and FL). So it gets rough looking quick. Plus lots of autowash swirleys
>>
>>21067611
It’s worth it. They don’t build them like this anymore

*sips#*
>>
File: IMG_20190524_204158.jpg (3.26 MB, 4048x3036)
3.26 MB
3.26 MB JPG
>>21066079
At 140k miles you'll be running into alot of issues from wear and tear.
Of note, and to clarify a poster from above, is the ENTIRE front two lower control arms will probably need to be replaced. This is due to the fact that Lexus decided to make the ball joints a fixed, unreplaceable part of the LCA's. If your ball joints are still good, then your bushings are definitely bad, especially the bushings on the driver side LCA because...
The power steering system is known to leak like a mother fucker, which could be worse, because if you have a SC400 (v8), it will instead leak directly onto the alternator.
The timing belt is recommended to be changed at around 80k miles, and if you have a 97+ your engine is interference, so the timing belt is vital.

I love my SC300, but I'm the second owner and it was relatively well maintained.
>>
File: car6.jpg (2.45 MB, 4032x2268)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
>>21067596
LS430 bro. I am also dailying mine, I need to get my first timing belt done too. I assume you meant timing belt and not timing chain?
>>
File: car3 (1).jpg (2.62 MB, 4032x2268)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
>>21067676
PS these wheels were not my choice
>>
File: IMG_2015.jpg (234 KB, 605x807)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>>21067541
nice wheels. what are they?

>mine
>>
Honestly? Don’t buy an sc. I bought one a year ago, an sc300. Single owner, 90k miles on it. The gas mileage is absolutely awful, and it takes 91 premium. The motor has held up good, nothings gone wrong but power steering, fuel pumps, and other small issues are inevitable. My biggest issue with my car is the suspension. The front lower control arms go bad at 100k miles and are 800$ a set. The rest of the front suspension parts and bushings wear out pretty fast due to the weight of the car. Mine handles like absolute garbage. Also, these cars are fuckin slow. The 4 speed auto is shitty and they weigh 3700 pounds. Don’t buy one. I regret buying one everyday.
>>
>>21067697
BMW 7 Series wheels (Style 95)
Redrilled to 5x114.3
>>
>>21066104
We all start somewhere, friendo. Now go make something of it.
>>
>>21066154
sc300 came in manual
sc400 has a manaul swap kit
>>
>>21068093
>sc400 has a manaul swap kit

Source?
>>
File: IMAG0826.jpg (30 KB, 360x309)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>21066079
East coast HIP HOP

Listening to Biggie NAZ and AZ in a SC400 gives me the feels

You better Slam that shit and put BBS's on it
>>
>>21067870
You bought a shit example, also you fucked up buying an automatic.
>>
>>21067108
Bullshit. That should have been covered under warranty if it failed within the maintenance period.
>>
>>21068151
My guess is there is more to it than he is telling. Also why do American old lexus need premium in nz they run on our 91
>>
File: 20190710_061859.jpg (1.22 MB, 4032x1960)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>21066079
ok so.
not fast. not even by 90's standards. the main problem they have is with the swaybar link, those popping is a pretty common problem and you have to replace the whole control arm if it do.
it's smooth as a bowling alley. the UZ is ice and coupled to a Toyota slush box... well you don't accelerate, the hand of God comes down and firmly pushes you along. I can personally recommend the higher trim levels. the leather seats and three way stereo are great.

some auxiliary info.
the pre 94 models have a non-interference engine so you don't have to worry about the cambelt totaling your engine. those are also the easiest to supercharge. you can literally buy a bolt on adapter, install a new ECU and slap on a random blower and make 600hp on stock internals. I seen some auzie cunt with an old folden diesel blower poking out the hood.
after 94 they upped the compression which made it an interference engine. they make more power tho. but they also made the connecting rods thinner so you can't make massive power on those like you can with the earlier ones. also the late Lexus one's got vvti and the most power of the stock veeates.
AMA I know many things
>>
>>21067676
Yeah. It was $1200 for the timing belt, water pump, and 8 spark plugs, air and cabin filters and an oil change at a local Toyota specific indie shop. Gates belt, Oem pump and filters and denso plugs. Not bad to keep it going another 100k miles outside of tires, brakes, oil.
>>
Save a couple more weeks and get a 2GS
>>
UZ OR jz?
Imho get the v8 it's better
Or if Ur a usfag/ausfag put a turbo on the 1uzfe for mad skids seppo cunta
>>
>>21068151
I thought so too. They said it was my fault because I should have "inspected" my vehicle to make sure it was in good driving condition and they wouldn't cover shit due to my "negligence"
>>
>>21068102

you're the reason to never buy a 2000's ls/gs/sc. 90% have been niggerfied with jet black tints, shitty rims and aftermarket garbage
>>
>>21069092
VIP lexus are the worse cancer to ever exist
If i lower a buick and put retarded 20 inch wheel with low profile tires everyone will think that you are retarded but with a lexus some people will want to hardpark with you
>>
LS400 with LS430 wheels
>>
I owned one. It was rough when I bought it, but ran reliably. Was going to be a project but turned into a DD and I ran it into the ground. Had a PS leak and an overheating issue, along with all of the mounts and bushings being worn out after 200,000+ miles. In good shape it's a fun, unique car. Some basic mods can wake it up, also go for a 97+ for the improved engine. While it's handling is very composed, it's a heavy car and you feel it in turns. Repairs were often a bit costly. Bottom line, you likely won't have many better options at that price range but don't expect a TT Supra and be prepared to pay more in maintenance.
>>
File: 1513811170441.jpg (158 KB, 533x800)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>21066079

Hey OP please don't buy this car. The auto gearbox is horrific. It handles like shit and has tons of little problems. You could buy a faster, more reliable, better handling car if you save up a tiny bit more money. Are you completely against buying something else? If not, me and other anons can recommend something much better for your money. I know you want a cool fast car right now, but you need to remember that you'll have this car for years. If you spend a couple of extra months saving up & searching, you can get a way better car. Don't rush into buying a shitbox that you'll end up regretting.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.