[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Auto-39.jpg (141 KB, 1280x720)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
A dedicated thread to ask all your automotive related questions that are either short or doesn't necessarily require a thread for itself. Also known as SQT.

A few tips -
>Google your Question to see if anyone else has asked the same question before. On most cases, yes.
>Ask your Question on specialized General Threads that relates to the subject of your query.
>Find unanswered questions and answer them if you can.

Take Care and Drive/Ride Safe!

Previous Thread - >>21008967
>>
>>21041732
How do I bridge the fuel pump relay so I can drain the tank
>>
What is doable to squeeze some horsepower out of a Ford ka 1.3? Stock everything. A cheapo ''power'' filter and changing the exhaust seem decent for almost free, but what else can I possibly do by myself? Re-mapping or a ***-charger would be out of my league price-wise.
Thanks.
>>
>>21041732
I run at ~6k RPM cruising on the interstate on my bike, but my rev limit is 14k so its utterly dependent on what you're driving.

>>21041871
Get a fusible link wire like pictured put a low level fuse in it like 7.5 or whatever and figure out which two slots in the fuel pump relay socket activate your fuel pump. Short those two slots with the wire.
>>
I need to know what car is this
>>
So I have 2001 Daewoo Leganza and my high pressure power steering line has a bad leak. No one sells this part anymore, how can I fix this?
>>
How retarded would it be to install coilovers on stock struts?
>>
are brake hard to replace by myself?
My brake are hissing and I suppose I should change them
>>
>>21042880
dont buy it i saw your post in the last thread. nothing you can get for 500 will be good.
>>
>>21043356
Nah, just watch some jewtube vids if you are worried. South main auto has a bunch and hes one of the very very few youtube guys i will watch.
>>
>>21043356
nope, very easy, but make sure to find out your torque specs first. a lot of things can be done "just tight enough" but when it comes to brakes & wheels you should always be within the specified range
>>
Yesterday I was driving and was in 1st gear, going to shift, and it wouldnt shift into any gear. pulled over to check clutch fluid and it was fine. could shift a little easier with the car off but was still pretty tough. I can move the car if I put it in first then start it, but it starts rolling immediately and the only way to stop is to stall it. I cant put it in neutral when its on and in gear. clutch fried?
>>
please give me a list of what my ideal cars could be.

> I hate big cars
> I hate cars that use fossil fuels
> I like super small cars
> i like Cars that are easy to drive
> i like 100% eco friendly cars
>>
>>21042945
Ebay has one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-FACTORY-DAEWOO-Leganza-Power-Steering-Pipe-Line-96253802-SHIPS-TODAY/192570739991?
Or try car-part.com
Or local junkyard
>>
File: 3765678867_f1c1708678.jpg (67 KB, 500x373)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>21043504
>>
>>21043504
>>
>>21043504
>>
>>21043504
>> I like super small cars
Minimal options besides a smart car aka Death Car V2.

Chevy volt/bolt
Nissan leaf
Toyota Prius
BMW i3
A scooter
Hyundai Kona
Honda clarity
>>
how easy is it to swap a turbo 13b into a FC3s with a dead N/A motor?
>>
are oil additives a meme? i have noisy tappets, it comes & goes usually depending on if i'm driving up/downhill. did an oil & filter change, no chunks or heavy discoloration and it did quieten the noise a little bit when it happens. just wondering if there's a magic solution before thinking about taking it apart just to replace them
>>
So I was helping my roommate replace her tire with a spare air tire since her spare donut is fucked. Her other three tries are nitrogen tires though. This a bit deal short term so she can take it over and get a new one and have the lug nuts torqued properly?
>>
>>21044047
Nitrogen filling tires is a meme, as 80% of the air you breathe is made up of nitrogen. So long as you properly tightened them down with a bit of force the wheel should be fine.
>>
>>21044037
What's the oil pressure gauge say? Your valves aren't getting starved by a weak oil pump are they?
>>
>>21044047
>nitrogen tires
I'll just let you know that most shops fill your tired with regular compressed air and the nitrogen shit is a meme. If you're using a tire iron turn the lug nuts until they get really hard to turn. Torquing them doesn't really matter unless you're picky about it or you do some sort of racing.

t. Work at a dealership
>>
>>21044073
no pressure gauge, but i've had no cel, oil light, dipstick is always where it should be and isn't dirty, and as far as i can tell the oil pump is working normally, it's just the tappets.

i just realised my previous post doesn't make it clear the noise started after oil & filter change, and another change with thicker oil made it quieter
>>
>>21043887
I’ve never done it but I’ve done a lot of research on the subject. Considering how expensive a turbo 13b is, and assuming it will need a rebuild when you buy it you might as well just sell the car you have now unless you’re very fond of it and try to find a real turbo FC to buy. Plus you would need a turbo transmission (not recommended to just upgrade your clutch, NA trannies are weak) and rear end.
>>
>>21044047
All you need to worry about is putting 2 different size tires/wheels 9n the differential end (FWD with a 17 and a 15 on the front)
>>
>>21044066
>>21044080
>>21044178
Thanks bros. I just do air myself, but just wanted to make sure
>>
>>21041732
are hatch/lift-backs generally lighter than coupes?
>>
>>21044066
>>21044080
Not him, but I refilled my tires when they were low using a can of actual compressed nitrogen out of my dad's stuff, he does AC work.
Is there anything I need to do differently for my tires if I am using pure nitrogen?
>>
>>21044138
thanks
>>
>>21041732

What makes a tyre good?
I have to buy some soon, and I have no clue what to look for.
>>
>>21044447
No usually they're about the same weight
>>
>>21044673
Depends on what you're using them for.
>>
>>21044691
Just driving on normal roads.
>>
>>21044066
>Nitrogen filling tires is a meme, as 80% of the air you breathe is made up of nitrogen.
Haha I run a tire shop and customers always fall for the Nitrogen meme.
>>
can someone recommend a double din headunit that does apple carplay and supports a reversing camera? also would like it to not have a retina burning color scheme for the user interface
>>
File: peles.png (735 KB, 821x616)
735 KB
735 KB PNG
Since there is no toyota thread and Im an impatient fuck, im just gonna post this here. I found a 3rd gen supra turbo in my area that isn't an overpriced POS. This is my first car and i wanted to buy a cheap jdm rwd memebox that I could fix up myself. Assuming I do most of the work myself, I borrow tools from someone, and that its not going to be my daily, is it possible to get it running for an extra $2000? My main concern is how complicated the engine bay is compared to something like an aw11 (the only car i have been looking into properly) and the lack experience I currently have. I just wanted to know if this is a case where there is some sort of straight forward guide in how to reassemble this car or if Im about to regret being born.

link for more info or if you want to buy it before me
https://us.letgo.com/en/i/toyota-supra-1989_9e029b25-3ed2-42d5-8052-1dcf836086ea
>>
I was thinking about buying a 3rd gen Škoda wagon. Can't put my foot down on what the difference between Octavia and Superb are though.
>>
>>21045799
the Superb is bigger, comfier, better looking, and you can get a tasty 3.6 V6 in them. the Octavia is very much *some car* and has unremarkable engine choices.
>>
on a 65 Tbird, will a 8:25-15 tire run in the front? Need to throw a spare on there for the short term, and that is what size the spare was when I bought, I know the standard is 8:15-15, but I don't know if the 8:25 is too big
>>
>>21045036
Well first off it's an old ass car which means repair guides will be difficult to find (unless you subscribe to alldata or something) and that there will be a lot of shit to repair (shit that isn't broken until you touch it). I'd recommend searching for common parts (radiators, spark plugs/wires, fuel pump, etc.) then search for uncommon parts (valve covers, EVAP vent/purge valves, door handles, window motors) so that you know the price and availability.

As far as how long it'll take you to fix, probably forever. At minimal experience everything will be new to you so changing spark plugs might take you 5 hours. I remember when I was changing the valve cover on my car and it took me 1.5 hours to get it off. I don't know these cars so I can only guess. Be prepared to encounter shit that is (seems) impossible for you because you don't know how to do it and you can't find a guide.

P.S. Get the manufacturer specific code reader because there's no OBD2.
>>
>>21045829
As long as rim size is the same it should be fine. The width difference isn't negligible but it'll be fine as a spare. You just don't want a big width difference.
>>
File: IOUCqNT.jpg (53 KB, 600x450)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
I've dailied an MR2 Spyder since 2010, and it's going to be going in for paint and an engine swap some time in the next year. Prior to that I had a 97 Outback I loved to death, and I miss having the little bit of offroad capability the Subaru had.

Since I'll need a new daily for when the Spyder is going to be in the shop for a while, is there anything on the market that I could sling down dirt and gravel roads as recklessly as I usually hoon my current car on asphalt. I'm not looking to do serious offroad or rock crawling, so I think a jeep or FJ would be overkill, so where does that leave me? CX3? Taco? I'd probably want to keep it under $30k and 5 years old or newer.
>>
>>21045954
Alrighty, thanks
>>
>>21045036
Also one more thing. Get a big fucking hammer.
>>
>>21041732
Anyone have any tricks knowing where to find a good deal on a work truck? Doesn't need to be nice but it does need to be reliable. Been looking at old fleet vehicles but the only place I can find them is Craiglist.
>>
File: 1557029993239.jpg (150 KB, 991x668)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
Manual transmission newfag here

Is it true cars with no power are easier to stall/get rolling or creep than cars with high power?

But high power cars are much more prone to jarring or bucking if you don't let the clutch off slow when upshifting or if you do a bad revmatch when downshifting compared to low power cars
>>
>>21046253
Yes, however jarring bucking has more to do with the type and duty rating of the clutch/pressure plate/fly wheel setup than power.
>>
File: 20190706_104526.jpg (842 KB, 2240x1344)
842 KB
842 KB JPG
I just got a Volvo 850 GLT that my uncle Jim gave my brother and then the car went to me. it's been neglected and is in pretty rough shape. should I start working on it and try to restore it or should it stay a junker. and if i should how would you go about it. its my first car and my dads not a man and didn't teach me so I don't know jackshit about cars
>>
>>21046586
It really isn't worth restoring. Do what you can to keep it running then get a new car.
>>
>>21042402
>remap too expensive
desu anon you're not going to see any significant gains from typical cheap bolt-ons without a remap. Reconsider your financial status if you want to mod a ka without remapping
>>
Are there any good kits for adding navigation and carplay to a 2013 mustang while still having physical controls for the AC and radio? most of what i have seen makes you need to use touch controls for almost everything which is not convenient when driving. the closer it looks to OEM the better along with still being able to use my steering wheel controls
>>
File: file.png (693 KB, 663x683)
693 KB
693 KB PNG
why is this person selling a car for 700 burgers, she says in the description that she wants to "donate it" to someone that needs it
>>
File: file.png (154 KB, 674x693)
154 KB
154 KB PNG
Also why are so many cars cheaper than my computer's video card
>>
>>21047251
Video card prices are artificially inflated.
>>
>>21047251
Pretty sure those are monthly payments for a lease, not the price of the car itself. Either that or the motor and transmission on the cars need to be replaced.
>>
>>21044702
Just go on Tire Rack website and put your car in. It'll tell you what your options are and you can see their testing of the tires and users reviews. Or go to a tire shop and they'll sell you whatever they have in stock.
>>
>>21046223
Search for a local auto auction, seriously.
>>
>>21047247
Rich people i guess.

>>21047251
Because the video card market is bloated as fuck price wise. You can blame all the crypto coin faggotry + greedy corporations.
>>
I'm looking to get a beater in the $3000 range as a fun secondary car and something to learn to wrench on. Looking at a Miata to fill that role, but is there anything else I should look at?
>>
Howdy fellas, is it illegal to drive with a broken rear window? I live in Colorado
>>
I just changed my oil after 5500 miles and the oil was dark and real gritty. How much damage did I just do to my engine?
>>
>>21048433
I don't know whether it is or not, but how would a cop ever know that you didn't just decide to have the window rolled down?
>>
>>21048472
What do you mean by gritty? If there was no metal shavings you should be fine
>>
>>21048484
And if there were?
>>
>>21048579
It means your engine was being shredded, It could be anywhere, cylinders, valves and camshafts, bearings, etc. The only way to find the problem is to tear the motor.

F
>>
>>21041732
I'm trying to raise my car, am I doing it properly by turning the top nut from left to right? Should both of the small nuts be at the bottom like when I bought the car or should one be up top? Is it possible to raise it too much?
>>
How do you deal with driving around in an area with non-curvy rounds ? For me, it's either drive for ages to find some cool roads or hoon around in traffic (which I really don't want to do). I'm a student so the track isn't an option either.

I love driving, but I feel like my "spirited" driving is dangerous and impeding normal traffic.
>>
>>21048915
read this https://mcasuspension.com/technical-section/Ride-Height-Adjustment
the 2 smaller nuts are locking collars, one should be against the larger top nut, the other against the bottom shock body.
>>
>>21043492
Most likely, yes. That or tranny/gearbox went to shit
>>
>>21048433
Rear window as in windshield or door window? Either way, most of the time a cracked windshield, front or rear, will not cause you to fail inspection. As for door windows, they don't give a shit if you have them or not.
>>
>>21048339
Think about all the commuter cars you see over and over again when you're on the road (e.g. civi or Camry). Any one of those. You could also try a new edge mustang.
>>
>>21041732
opinions on a W10 (1984-1989) Toyota MR2 as a beginner tuner car?
>>
>>21048433
No it's not.
>>
Why is the Camry $23,000 but to $32,000 mark up?
>>
I have a bottle of "brake fluid" Can I also put it into the fluid container for the clutch? Do clutch and brake fluids use the same stuff?
>>
>>21049606
Get a Miata instead, faster and better handling out of the box, infinitely larger aftermarket, and you don’t have to hunt for parts like you do with the AW11/AE86
>>
painting my car next week and trying to get the sanding done before it comes in. Going from a black car to white with pearl. Do I sand down to bare metal and primer it, or just scuff the black paint with 600-800 grit and primer over it? Can't find a reliable source.
>>
>>21050219
Usually they are, read the owner's manual to find out if they are together or separated. Or just read the cap on the container.

>>21050136
MSRP is what the manufacturer charges meaning if it's sold at that price the seller makes no profit. The mark up price is what the seller wants to make in terms of profit.
>>
>>21050219
Yeah it's fine
>>21050136
Look at a window sticker it will tell you how it arrived at the sticker price. Then you negotiate a sales price with the salesman (tax and registration fees not included!) then you go do paperwork with the loan officer where you get assraped if you're not savvy. He'll get you into the worst loan, add an overpriced warranty, "paint protection package" and whatever else he can take you for.
>>
>>21050565
>MSRP is what the manufacturer charges meaning if it's sold at that price the seller makes no profit. The mark up price is what the seller wants to make in terms of profit.
No that's wrong. MSRP is what the dealer should sell it for according to the manufacturer. "Invoice" is what the dealer paid for it. They won't normally tell you what invoice is.
>>
>>21050576
Oh yeah, you're right. At my dealer they install a few things ahead of time so they can bump the price up a couple thousand. On the window label it showed the "MSRP" and the "what you pay" so that's where I got them mixed up.
>>
a/c wasn't working on my 2009 mitsu galant. Checked fuses, checked refrigerant pressure. Refrigerant was low, so I filled it up. According to the included gauge the pressure is fine now, but now the light on the a/c dial is blinking and it still blows hot air.
>>
>>21050566
How to get savvy? Is the 5,000 mile check bs?
>>
I have a 318i and drained the coolant in every part of the vehicle except the heater core. I forgot to turn the ignition to on and heat up before emptying the block and radiator. The previous owner used bad coolant and I bought better stuff. If there is coolant left in the heater core will it matter if it mixes with the new stuff? I'm not sure if I should do the step I skipped with the rest of the system empty and then see if it drains, just fill it with new coolant, or do a full flush with distilled water. Any advice?
>>
Where can I find a 1987 Ford Ranger 2.9 engine wire harness?

Checked the local pick and pulls and I was unable to locate one.

Not having any luck with Google and eBay.

Am I not using the correct search terms?
>>
2010 Honda Pilot starting having loud whirring noise at idle, that gets louder as RPMs go up
Used Stethoscope and it sounds like its the alternator, the alternator is only putting out like 12.2V

BUT there is no idiot light, and I know my car has one for the charging system.
I am having no power related issues, just the noise.
I have seen the "Check charging system" light twice. Once when it was -18F degrees out, and one time when I was driving through flash flood type waters. This has been at least a year ago.

Is there voltage regulation thats keeping it at 12v or something?
>>
>>21050835
>how to get savvy
1. Go to a credit union and get pre-approved for the loan for the car you're interested in. Find out what their interest rate is. If the dealer gives you a much higher rate, tell them you'd like to finance through your credit union. They should do it.
2. Have a lot of patience and be prepared to walk away. Dealership loan officers are the scum of the earth.
3. See all prices: tax, fees, interest rate, everything, in writing before you sign anything. They'll give you a ton of stuff to sign. Most of it is standard stuff that you shouldn't worry much about and the loan officer probably won't mislead you on any of it if you ask for a quick rundown but pay close attention to the numbers on the sales sheets that itemize fees and add-ons. If they give you an arbitration agreement to sign politely decline that one (they can't obligate you to sign it).
4. Going further with number 3, add up the sales tax on your own and make sure the numbers match. Look for add on items you never discussed (paint and window protection is a common one, it's a scam, ask them to remove it). They will try to push an extended warranty really hard, it's where they make their money. If you want it fine but you can haggle on the price. Try to get a 10 year warranty for around 5% of the sales price of the vehicle that would be a pretty good value.

All of the above is done in the closing office without the salesman present. Before you get to that point you'll have agreed on the purchase price of the vehicle and the value of any trade in. So you have two seperate battles and they will both try to wear your patience down.

If you have a trade in, you are way better off selling it private party. You should be able to get almost any car for under MSRP before tax. Don't just accept sticker price, haggle hard. Say things like "I don't feel like you're giving me a very good deal" and see what they come back with.
>>
>>21051346
>continued
Tell the salesman you plan to finance (If you want to pay cash, get their loan and pay it off a month later). He'll know that financing means the dealership can make some more money from the finance deal and they can be more flexible on the price. Dealerships make theor money on financing and warranty, if they know you're not doing either they'll probably want full MSRP for the car so lead them on with both. In the closing room you can decline the warranty and the dude will probably be pissed, but hold out and you win and they lose. Of course if you do a trade in they'll probably make money on that unless it's a piece of shit.
>>
>>21051241
The bearing could be going out on the alternator but it's still putting out enough voltage. I think it's supposed to put out 14.4 volts and then is regulated to a little over 12 but I don't remember exactly.

>>21050986
Depends by what you mean bad coolant. If it's the wrong type of coolant then I would flush with water.
>>
>>21051106
Try going to dealer part desk and at least getting a part number for your specific vehicle.
>>
What's the best way to attach my phone?
>>
Recommended brake pads for a standard Camry 2012 V6?

Looking to replace rear pads, got EBC Sport rotors + Hawk pads front.
>>
>>21051605
Real specific.
Stick it in your ass, bam done.
>>
I've got an early 2000s-model car and want to buy an FM transmitter so I can finally stop using optical discs and actually play music off my phone. Are there any recommended FM transmitters, or do they all essentially do the same thing?
>>
>>21041732
where are some good places to buy used car parts such as doors bumpers wheels or tires?
>>
>>21051346
>>21051359
Thanks anon!
>>
File: Moog_One_News_Page.jpg (42 KB, 660x385)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Is Moog from mcm named after the suspension company or the musical instrument
>>
I got a bit of a problem. I'm not too well versed on cars, and I am not sure if I should ask my dad for his help anymore on the account of him accusing me of taking his fucking pills recently.

I bought a Ford Fusion 07 from a junk yard a year ago. It had a couple problems, but the major one was the subframe which got bent. Had to be replaced. I did everything it needed. It wouldn't pass inspection because of too much rust so I had to buy a sticker from someone. It couldn't get a proper wheel alignment because the subframe still wasn't aligned correctly and the tire rod has shifted he said. Whatever, it drives fine. After a while of driving it started to make a very loud creaking/clicking sound when I turned in certain spots. Finally today, while I was driving my car went a bit out of control, as if the tire was coming off or something. Something happened and I couldn't drive fast out of fear. Felt like something got fucked up. I struggled back home but I *felt* it got more normal as I got home. Either way there is something definitely wrong but what could it be and how expensive is it?
>>
>>21051966
Probably a broken tie rod. Wheel could come off or just turn 90 degrees. Get under the thing and have a good look around.
>>
sup bois, i have an 02 honda cr-v with about 186k miles. it’s a 5 speed and the acceleration is pretty measly. on the highway i’m going 75 doing like 3.5k rpm. are there things i can do to fix this? tune up of some sort? i assume the engine is down on power
>>
I’m looking for a new car, I’d like to spend about $20K or so, it needs to be a nice car that you would imagine some fancy ass professional drive in a city like Miami. What would you get? Obviously must be used but please no earlier than 2014.
>>
I just finished painting over a crack repair on my rear bumper cover. I think it looks decent, but how do I get that plastic-like shine on that spot like the rest of the bumper cover has? Even 3000 grit sandpaper doesn't seem to be taking it any farther. Do I just need to keep at it, or do I need some kind of electric buffing wheel, or what?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (30 KB, 480x360)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
I could buy a 1987 Cadillac Brougham for less than $8000. Seems in good condition and has about 40,000 miles on it. How long/expensive would it be to get this fucker repaired if something goes wrong with it, and what would it be like to get insurance on it? Yes, I understand it's old as fuck for a car I'd actually intend on driving. Yes, I know that I know fuck all about cars. No pretense here. Just asking for input.
>>
>>21052625
It would be super cheap and easy to maintain. I hope you have red hair, a huge head and buck teeth. I want to see some 19 year old kid like you drive around this boat around like a mafia boss with a massive stupid shit eating grin on your retarded face
>>
>>21052457
turbo vette
>>
Newfriend here, soon to be getting a car, whats the best resource for learning the basics about cars?
Proper care, tips of any kind, really any kind of good resource.
>>
>>21052730
When I got my first car, this was the best video I found for learning about the various parts of a car in a "what the hell am I even looking at" sort of way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ralw-IZAaf0
Also the game My Summer Car on Steam is apparently a very intricate car maintenance simulator.
The Haynes and/or Chilton repair manual for whatever model of car you end up getting will prove very useful in diagnosing and repairing potential issues. From what I've been able to find online, Haynes is a better fit for people who don't already have working knowledge of cars in general.
I'm still too new to offer you anything else, though.
>>
>>21052193
Tune up wont hurt. However that just might be where it revs at in its final gear?
If its an auto its only a 4 speed
Also, do you have your overdrive on? If its off it will only use the first 3 gears.
https://owners.honda.com/vehicle-information/information/2002/CR-V/manuals
>>
>>21052625
Friend drove one of those in high school, shit was pimp as fuck.
>>
File: IMG_20190707_162634-01.jpg (607 KB, 1999x1500)
607 KB
607 KB JPG
How am I supposed to wash my car when it's 100 fucking degrees outside and water evaporates the second it touches the car? I parked it in partial shade and rinsed it off to try to cool it, then I used no-rinse soap. Even trying to dry a panel at a time immediately after soaping, I still had a bunch of water spots.
>>
File: VX Nova.jpg (69 KB, 575x400)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>21011726
Thinking about it. The first question is, do you have a replacement engine? You can't buy them new any more most likely, so even sourcing the 1.9 16v motor that the sports model of a 80s/90s hot hatch optionally could have been fitted with won't be easy. Or there is the engine swap from a different model (the four door, the saloon) which might fulfil your desire. Having done this before it is getting into blank cheque book territory and your budget will be 2k under and you'll never see that money again on the re-sale, 3-5 years later it'll all need re-doing.

Is it better than buying a XR2i / Rallye / Turbo ? Buying the sports hot hatch of the 80s / 90s today is also going to be a freaking nightmare. They start at 2k for a 180k miles model, up to 10k , 20k , fully restored, it'll all bubble and peel off as soon as a pebble chips it.

But yeah, getting a stock granny mobile to outrun an 2ltr middle management saloon is worth the weight. Especially when they get so stressed out that they can't catch up.

But yeah, none of the parts will fit and you're just burning the money for a laugh. hth.
>answering my own question
>>
>>21053338
A drive through automatic car wash might be a better idea. You're welcome.
>>
>>21052625
>would it be like to get insurance on it? Y
You fill out a web form and they tell you how much it will cost. It will be like data inputting. And then you get an answer. I tried to do it for you but I couldn't.

>>21052625
>t. How long/expensive would it be to get this fucker repaired if
You can still buy an exhaust so it's feasible!
https://www.carid.com/1987-cadillac-brougham-exhaust-parts/

great.
>probably drive it first, see if it suits you.
>>
File: MA 032 CD BT.png (23 KB, 236x87)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>21051933
Your car dealership probably does have a recommended FM transmitter for your model of car, give them a call. After that it will be look for a reliable brand and spend just over the average price and you should get the right one for you.
>>
File: 1557255650313.jpg (17 KB, 240x312)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>get quotes for timing belt replacements on my GS430
>1300 dollars from 3 different outlets
>mfw
I'm going to have to go broke, aren't I? Replacing a timing belt is probably outside of my ability to do. Can a complete novice pull it off in 3 days?
>>
>>21053838
Also, are there telltale signs of a failing timing belt? I don't have any performance issues, just belt whine from what I assume to be the drive belt when I start the car. Said whine stops over time.
>>
>>21053338
Clean it in the evening
>>
>>21050682
At idle put the ac to max with blowers on.
Do the ac / radiator fan(s) come on?
Do you hear / see the compressor cycling on and off?
That's where I would start.
>>
>>21053845
Timing belt or accessory belt? Timing is a much more involved repair.
>>
>>21053953
The timing belt is what I'm looking to have replaced, due to mileage, but the accessory belt is what I believe to be making the noise at startup. Can't say for sure.
>>
>>21053967
There aren't really symptoms of timing belt wear. You could inspect the belt, but usually that involves removing several covers, and a visual often doesn't tell you much about the condition. Google the maintenance interval for the belt and decide if you have to diy based on cost and difficulty.
>>
>>21053838
>I'm going to have to go broke, aren't I?
No, rest the car up and save the money for the professionals.
>Can a complete novice pull it off in 3 days?
No you almost definitely can't do it yourself in three days.
>>
Am I wrong to think people with Jeeps and Land Rovers that use them as mall crawlers are terrible car owners?
>>
>>21052634
>>21053383
Thanks for the input. I just checked the history and noticed that at some point between owners the odometer had been rolled back 100,000 miles. So now it's roughly 140,000. How much life could I expect to get out of a car that old, with that mileage, without having to replace something every few months? If it's that dependable, I'll still consider talking them down, but if not, then I'll just settle and get something much newer.
>>
SUP BROS
i was feeling feisty last week so i went to slide my shitbox around an empty industrial street, everything was going good till i was heading towards the curb. i didn’t hit it but i did hit the brakes and the clutch at the same time. the car stalled out, then came back on and started to buck pretty bad so i turned the key off and the car stayed on. i had to crank the engine over twice before it fired up and when it did the revs dropped low af and instead of idling at 1300 like it normally does, it is idling at 700-800 now, which is better imo. however since that happened whenever i clutch in and go to neutral above 2k rpm the revs drop to basically 0 and but the car never stalls, just drops hella low. just wondering if anyone has a clue what could have caused all this change from that stall.
>>
File: 15324-car-1943132eb5.jpg (39 KB, 418x272)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>21054519
>owners the odometer had been rolled back 100,000 miles. So now it's roughly 140,000
I don't know , I haven't had experience of an odometer being rolled backwards so that's a big enough warning sign for me to walk away (from the car purchase). Even when I've had engine changes the odometer stayed the same, it was merely noted in the log book. I am baffled. New sentence. It's an old car , it depends on how well it has been serviced and how badly it was treated previously. Test drive it if you like.

Check list
electrics (lights, switches, fans etc.)
interior condition
doors close tightly
and on and on and on

Personally, try it changing through the gears from 0 to 60 and back and if it can do that to your satisfaction it's as good a guarantee as you're going to get with a 1980s car.

Other posters may vary.
>>
File: 71nkili0J6L._SX466_.jpg (23 KB, 466x466)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>21054520
It depends what car it is. What drives the tachometer? Is it a wheel speed sensor? If you were cornering very hard you could have buckled something. First things first , check the tachometer for a reliable reading , a digital timing strobe can do this for you.
>>
File: wrwrwrwr.jpg (22 KB, 600x337)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
Thinking about picking up a 91 capri mercury, just cause its pretty cheap and gets good mpg, and the stuff ive read online has people saying its not too costly to maintain or anything, do any of you guys have any strong opinions on why that would be a bad idea? otherwise I'll probably just pull the trigger.

pic related
>>
>>21054997
It might be a total wreck. It's still quite old. Thanks.
>>
>>21055018
If I test drive it and it runs okay, and take it to a shop and it checks out, would it be alright? or are you saying even following that sort of stuff its just too old a car to invest in?
>>
>>21055042
I don't know, what does your wife think?
>>
>>21053338
Wash it at night or in the morning
>>
>>21051944
Ebay, Facebook marketplace.
>>
>>21054493
Anyone who drives a SUV and never uses it as intended even once a year are no better than an obese person who makes no attempt to improve their health.
>>
>>21053338
Find a spot with full shade
Or wait till almost dusk or both
Try using bottled water as your rinsing water?
>>
anybody still running VINs?
thinking about buying this shitbox
2T1BR32E75C425513
>>
File: wtf wheel arch.png (15 KB, 1183x615)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
my car hasn't been in a crash or has any evidence of a crash, yet when having a look at replacing the front bumper because it's cheaper than fixing the paint on it, i noticed the front left wheel arch liner plastic is totally fucked up.

pic related; if your head is where the wheel sits, the bit in red looks like the drawing on the right. someone at some point has cut it up, and there's a hole melted through the front. i figure the hole is from a tire rubbing against it over time, but why it was cut up i have no idea, there's no mention of this at all in the history and my mechanic agrees with me that there's no other evidence of it being in a crash. the liner isn't warped or bent out of shape at all, so how the rubbing happened (if that's what it is) and why it was cut up is a total fucking mystery.

any ideas? anyone ever find anything equally as fucking retarded on used cars?
>>
>>21055595
All totally irrelevant, probably just a angsty impatient mechanic cut it off or it came loose, and rubbed and got torn off.

All you really need to decide is if it needs to be replaced, or if you want to replace it.
Also having it off will give you a better look at the body around that area. Which may give you more ideas about what happened ar why it might have been done.
>>
File: 20190708_175624.jpg (2.31 MB, 4032x3024)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB JPG
Heya /o/
First time doing a sparkplug wire and spark plug swap. For the life of me I cannot get these mother fuckers off without breaking them like pic related. I can't undo the plug itself either, I tried by hand and by impact driver but that shit is not budging. Got some PB Blaster penetrating it now but I wanted to know if I'm doing something wrong.
>>
>>21055745
Yes I am using a sparkplug socket too if that means anything.
>>
>>21055745
stop working on 5.4 fords
>>
>>21055745
tried running the engine up to temp. and then removing spark plugs? Heat may help expand the metal a bit.
>>
>>21053838
It IS a non-interference engine, then correct?
And a timing belt isn't so bad. You can do it in three days for sure. Look up the manual on getting the timing right. You do NOT want to have to take everything apart and do it a second time because you're off by a tooth or something.
>>
Anyone ever change the auto-headlight sensor on their car? 2014 ford mustang and I think mine just shit the bed. When in auto mode the headlights think it's nighttime. Fuck.
>>
>>21055837
Its actually a 96 Blazer ;_;

>>21055861
Would the engine start with the spark plug wires all disconnected?
>>
>>21055884
no, you don't want to do that.
>>
Having a mechanic do a "pre-purchase inspection" of a car from a little dealership tomorrow:
He is asking for 6k
I want to spend 5.5 max

Do I tell him that before taking it to the mechanic to get checked out or do I attempt to haggle with the knowledge the mechanic gives me? Is there a normal order to these things?

Don't want to waste everyone's time, ya know?
>>
>>21055745
Torque specs for plugs are only like 20 ft lbs. I hate to ask, but are you turning lefty loosy?
>>
>>21056077
Don't worry, I was retarded once and righty-tightied my oil bolt on my bike and cracked the oil pan. $150 mistake right there. But yes I am turning lefty-loosy counter-clockwise.
>>
on start up my car seems to have about 5 seconds of varying rpm. it goes wowowowow from low (600 rpm)-(1200) before it finds its idle warming up. Not sure if it does it after its warmed up, but I think so. Itll dip 600 before it gets to normal idle.
>>
>>21056077
more like 12-14 ft lbs. and yeah they seize up. You should change spark plugs before or when they are recommended simply because you want them to not seize not that they go bad.

>>21055745
pb blaster. let it soak maybe even over night cause pb plaster will make it so you just twist them out and wont need to break torque. for the really tough ones, use a big ratchet maybe even a breaker bar and pray.
>>
>>21056149
Yeah I can't recall the last time the plugs were changed, they mighta seized cause of that then...
I'll have to pick up another can of PB Blaster and just let that shit hit that, maybe for another day cause these mother fuckers are really stuck.

I'll keep that breaker bar idea in the bag, I don't wanna go wrecking the threads cause then I wouldn't know how to fix that. Would an impact driver be okay?
>>
>>21056173
>Would an impact driver be okay?

100% no. I havn't broken a plug yet.

The way your plugs broke indicate to me that you probably dont have a good angle on it either. usually when they break you are fucked, but you still have something to grab on to.

use something with leverage and use an amount of force you are comfortable with, but usually when you have a good angle and leverage and that pb blaster gets in, it turns loose. can try to tighten then loosen repeatedly too to free some rust and see if they move at all. and if there is crud around the plugs maybe poke around it it with a sewing needle so the pb blaster has a way to reach the threads.
>>
>>21056196
also like someone already said, you can warm the car up and try again.
>>
>>21056196
Hey good idea, I didn't think about fastening and unfastening it. I just don't wanna screw the threads up. (pun unintended)
The angle thing is true too, honestly it feels like my angle isn't too good. Its hard to get the extension in place and then the ratchet. I'll have to see about getting a breaker bar or an extension that I can use with my swivel adapter to get the best angle I can.

Do you have any more advice to impart?
>>
>>21056208
I would try that but the thing is, I have already disconnected the spark plug wires. I don't wanna risk damaging the car anymore as I drove for a little with the sixth cylinder misfiring.
>>
File: images[1].jpg (2 KB, 225x225)
2 KB
2 KB JPG
>>21056209
If you dont have a swivel head ratchet then youre missing out.

>>21056214
fair enough. I wouldnt run it either if you have more than 1 misfiring, but if its just 1 then it wont hurt to idle it a little.
>>
>>21056209
also use a torque wrench putting them in if you can, but if not its easy to just hand tighten then give it a quarter turn more with a ratchet.
>>
>>21056209
and use antisieze so it doesnt happen next time
>>
>>21056228
I can get a swivel head on the cheap cause we're clearance them out at work. Thank you!!
I would try to run it but with three sparkplugs snapped I don't wanna risk it.

>>21056232
I don't have a torque wrench but I'll try to eyeball it.
>>21056236
I also picked up some anti-seize too, without realizing I already had some at home. But more is better than less!

Thank you everyone for your advice! Hopefully I can get these guys to budge tomorrow.
>>
>>21056137
Are you replying to someone or what's your question?
>>
>>21056068
After you have agreed upon a price and showed him your serious about buying it ask him to get it inspected.
>>
>>21055884
>Would the engine start with the spark plug wires all disconnected?
Do your tv turn on after you unplug it?
>>
>>21054997
There better cars than this for a similar price. Still, if everything checks out, go for it if you want it. It's an old ass car so if you take a to a shop expect them to find a bunch of broken shit and tell you about it.
>>
>>21054997
is it going to be your daily or only car? then no. but if its a fun car why not?
>>
>>21056244
Is that normal? I just wonder cause I've driven the same car a year and didnt notice it earlier. Just doesn't sound like a healthy engine to come alive and feel like itll almost stall.
>>
>>21056305
Idle speed for my car is 650rpm. On start up with a cold engine it will get to about 2500rpm for a few seconds then gradually find it's way do to 650 within 15 seconds. That's a normal start up for me and most cars.

If you car is especially cold, such as during the winter, it will start a little above idle then recognize that the engine is cold as fuck then raise the idle speed. Once the engine is warm enough it'll die down.

On older cars this works a bit differently. The idle speed will tend to jump around a bit (no huge changes, just small adjustments) because the ECM is testing and warming up the heated O2 sensor. Also because older cars don't have as many sensors as newer cars. If anything was out of spec your check engine light would come on but there are some things that slip past it. If you're super worried, rent a smoke machine and test the intake system. You may have a leak.
>>
Yo does anything in here look like it would make my engine loud and sound like shit at low RPM? I bought this car used (Civic Si) and it’s fun but like I said it sounds like shit at low RPM.
>>
>>21054381
>rest the car up
Not an option. I have to work, senpai.
>>
Mazda3 hatch back (not a Mazdaspeed) or a KIA Forte5 SX GDI?
>>
>>21056391
What's the year?

>>21056353
There's a lot of things that will make a car run like shit. Is it throwing a code?
>>
>>21056340
good to know. I actually have an obd2 reader I bought last year so I should just record all the data from a commute. I havnt gotten familiar with it yet.
>>
Guys, I'm about to get on the bus to go and get my first car. Gonna tranfer the title and then I have a 3 hour drive home. I'm by myself with little driving experience? Any advice? My palms are already sweaty.
>>
>>21056446
Why are you getting a car by yourself with little driving experience?
>>
>>21056446
Good luck. Hope you are happy once you get home. Gotta be exciting. Learn as much as you can.
Just drive slow and be safe, know where you hazard lights button is encase you are in an accident or you are that terrible that you just have to put them on
>>
>>21056407
> is it throwing a code

You mean like the check engine light? If so then no.
>>
What are/who makes the best torque converter autos?
>>
>>21056446
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DSVDcw6iW8

Take the backroads
Drive slow and keep your head above the stress.
>>
I want 1 automagic daily and 1 manual fun car, which is the better combo?
>old manual sports car for weekend fun, automatic wagon/suv for all around use
>fast auto sedan for comfy daily drives, manual wagon/suv for pure utility
>>
>>21056485
fuck auto gear boxes. manual for ever.
>>
>>21056407
2014 Mazda3 vs 2015 KIA
>>
>>21056494
I'd get the Mazda.

>>21056467
They my guess is something's worn but not work enough to activate the cel. I'd check the spark plugs for fouling first but it might be a plugged cat. If those check out, try the throttle body and air filter/housing and related components.
>>
File: babby's-first-shitbox.png (28 KB, 521x363)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
Thoughts on babby's first shitbox design so far? Would you drive it?
>>
>>21056494
seconding mazda 3. hope its a hatchback. fuck kia.
>>
>>21056561
If its going to look like the Honda EV Concept it's cute
>>
>>21046586
Those are cool cars, save it
>>
>>21056453
I have nobody to get with me?

>>21056458
>>21056484
Thanks boys. Yolo.
>>
>>21056467
there might be a pending code, go to autozone and have them scan it for free to see if there is a pending one.
>>21056526
this. tuneup couldn't hurt. if you don't know the maintenance history then go for it.
>>
My 92 XJ wont stop on inclines. Im going to try tightening the handbrake tomorrow and seeing if that fixes it. I tried using the trick where you put it in gear but it slid backwards while in gear, did this damage anything?
>>
>>21056707
There's not a single friend or family member you could call to either come with you or help you get more experience behind the wheel in one of their cars so that you could be more comfortable driving three hours by yourself?
>>
>>21056446
Pay attention to the people ahead of you, not just the car in front of you. Dumbasses drive to close and make last-minute maneuvers. That, and stay the fuck back. Fuck impatient drivers that are try to go too damn fast. Follow at a safe distance.

If you're on the highway, and there are more than 2 cars close behind you in the passing lane, move over.
>>
File: 1562207334616.jpg (1.05 MB, 1368x799)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
name me a good/fun car for a single dude
>>
>>21056894
Superduke
>>
>>21056068
If they throw a bitchfit over having a 3rd party inspect it before sale is final, leave and never go back.
>>
>k24A2 swap Miata for $7k
>Or swap in 1.8 and turbo for $5500
LADS?
The K24 would be significantly more work sadly
>>
What’s the difference between the Holden Commodore SS and the Chevy SS? I thought they were the same car but the Holdens seemingly cheaper?
For context i’m looking at buying a chevy SS with holden badges in the united states
>>
Are Lexus models a better buy than the Camry counterpart be cause they're usually don't have owner neglect?
>>
>>21057469
They're the same car.
>>
File: 20180319033119_1.jpg (196 KB, 1366x768)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
>>21056894
Nissan Cherry E10
>>
what to look for in a 99 silverado 1500 z71?
>>
>>21054997
Only buy one ironically.
>>
Would unplugging the MAF on an E39 Diesel also disable the actuation of the swirl flaps? I know it disables EGR and MAP sensor.
>>
Just typed a load of shit, so now I got to cut this in half.

Ford Fusion 07: My car has been having some bad problems. When I turn, it makes a loud creaking sound. Other times when I am going uphill or etc it makes the sound to a lesser degree. I ignored this because it drove fine despite it. It's a better looking piece of shit I need for commuting.

Few days ago, my steering wheel has been locking up. This is the problem I cannot ignore but it may be related to the above problem. It just happens while driving. You can feel it on the wheel, that the car is trying to go against you. The first time this happened, my car made a sound, not entirely sure how to explain it, but then all of a sudden, I couldn't control the car. Luckily I was close to home, so I just drove very slowly (and painfully) to home. Stopped on the side to let some cars pass by, and all of a sudden it was driving fine again.

Today the big problem hit. I was driving home today, and the steering wheel locking up issue arrived again. Just as I had explained before, but then all of a sudden a loud noise came from under the front of the car that I can only describe as 'friction' or something. I literally don't know how to interpret this for anyone else but it was a bad noise. I had to pull to the side. Now when I sat down for a bit trying to think, I put it in drive to see how bad it was. It literally wouldn't move, while also making constant sounds like a loud clicking. When I put it in park, it makes a loud, short click sound. In drive, neutral, or park, it would move in reverse, so I had to put the e-brake on. Going back later to get it towed to my house so my dad can possibly look at it.

I am just hoping someone here can tell me what it could possibly be so I know what I am getting myself into. I just need it to get by. Just got it on the road after spending quite a bit of money.(from junkyard), and I just don't want more money into it. I want to drive it till it dies but this is too soon.
>>
>>21058468
Inspect anything related to the steering system. Ball joints are a concern but your the rods may be the cause. Now that I read it again, the steering locking up is almost always a power steering issue so you ps pump may be bad and/or the associated hoses. If the sound you're talking about is a "wwwaaahhhhhh" whining sound then it's for sure your problem.

Start with checking ps fluid level and if that checks out (and if it doesn't) get under the car and inspect for leaks. Look at the bottom of the reservoir and follow that hose to find the other hose and the steering rack. That "loud noise" may have been some bursting as operating the steering wheel with a bad pump, under/overfilled reservoir (basically if it's hard to steer) can further damage the power steering. You might have fucked up the rack.

As for the creaking sound it could be a strut or a knuckle. That requires further diagnosis.
>>
>>21058468
Why would tou buy a junkyard car if you cant even look for obvious problems?>>21058622
Do this.
>>
>>21058468
Car being stuck in reverse could be anything, but I would check the uhhhh fucking thing underneath the car near the transmission...the gear shifter linkage / cable. It may need adjustment near the transmission if your gear selection is fucked.
Your steering issue is probably the rack. These things are electronic racks, right ? Probably just have to replace it if that's what's fucking up. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause steering issues like you described unless the inner / outer tie rods are SEVERELY fucked (probably not).
>>
When I was opening the driver door of my 2000 Honda Prelude, a tiny part flew out from the handle. The handle works, but it sticks out now after being pulled, unless I push it back down. I have a stone driveway so I'm having a hard time finding the part. Does anyone know what might have fell out so I know what to look for?
>>
File: 50FHGEH2.png (224 KB, 500x375)
224 KB
224 KB PNG
I fucked up. Real bad. I have an 05 Ford E250 with 4.6 and ran it with nearly no oil.

I was hearing a clunking sound that I was pretty sure was a bad bearing in one of the pulleys. So I continued to drive it because I was procrastinating paying for a repair bill. So it got worse and I finally decided to fix it myself. Anyways I haven't checked my oil for a while and just checked it now and it's almost nothing. It won't even start because it's seized up. How fucked am I? Is the motor toast?
>>
>>21059024
Id suggest asking in /hg/ general but there isn't one currently.

Maybe a piece of the handle, or reurn spring/spring retainer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-2001-Honda-Prelude-Side-Exterior-Door-Handle-white/173867428231

Maybe it fell inside your door
>>
>>21059106
lmao.
F
>>
Hey, don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I didn't see a VIN check thread, should I make one if I want to get a VIN checked, or could someone do that here?
>>
>>21059106
>It won't even start because it's seized up
>How fucked am I?
>Is the motor toast?
You know the answer, bro.
>>
>>21058972
>>21058622
Sorry I forgot to address that. The transmission being stuck in reverse can be anything from a trans range sensor, elec pressure control solenoid, or like that guy said, a gear lever issue. My guess would be the TR sensor but with transmissions you don't know until you scan it or test it.
>>
File: uturn.webm (513 KB, 892x636)
513 KB
513 KB WEBM
In the Malcolm in the Middle episode where Lois gets a ticket when she allegedly cuts off a volvo when pulling out of a parking lot, she's exonerated when a tape shows the volvo making an illegal u-turn.

Was the u-turn actually illegal? I didn't see and signs.
>>
>>21059570

Nah I saw it fly off to the stones, just didn't see where it landed. Someone in a FB groups said the same thing, so I'll try looking for it again tomorrow. Thanks!
>>
Is it typically better to buy a shit box with a few issues ($400 mercury sable) or a more expensive shitbox with no suspected issues ($1800 neg Lexus es300)
>>
>>21060015
>$400
How many issues is "a few"?
I'd expect any car in reasonable working condition and with an interior that doesn't look like a literal dumpster to run at least $1000. It is a car, after all.
>>
Anyone noticing a trend of used automatic cars costing far less than manual in America? It used to be the other way around for a while, but it seems like I'm paying premium when buying manual.
>>
How am I supposed to paint the inside lips of my s13 bumper while staying 6 inches away? Trying not to do a horrible paint job and am stressing myself trying to figure out how to get the spray gun to spray equally in there
>>
>>21060015

anything less than $5k expect to put in some work most likely. $400 to $1800 is fuckall

ive owned some haggard shit in my time, ive owned $500 vehicles i dragged out of a forest, tossed $100 in parts at and drove for 5 years and some $4000 vehicles i dumped $1000 in parts the first few weeks
>>
>>21060150

if its that stressful just pay $200 to get it professionally done
>>
why are tranny oil pans so difficult to find? I've found only one store in canada that sells them, and the one I need for my tranny is out of stock.
>>
>>21059106
this is what happens when you fuck up. you fucked up. RIP
>>
>>21060199

depends on the vehicle
>>
>>21060199
what is your car exactly?
It can't be that hard to find.
>>
I switched from an auto 4 banger to a manual 6 crossover. The car is old as fuck and the gas gauge isnt digitial. Do i have a higher gas mileage in 5th gear? It kinda feels like it but im not sure if its just the grandpa technology fucking with me
>>
My Honda Civic (2015, euro) is trying to electrocute me every time I touch the door when leaving. Its predecessor (2011) did that shit too. Anyone else having this problem?
>>
I get get a 10th gen LX Civic instead of an EX, it depends on what is available. I test drove both and didn't feel much of a difference, so it doesn't matter to me.

This is a radio question. It looks like the LX radio does not have XM or Aux support. I assume the USB support won't go very far with Android either.

I do like to have XM radio once in awhile. It looks like there is something called the commander touch, and you use the FMDA25 adapter to intercept the FM antenna, if what I am reading is correct. Is this something easy to do in a Civic LX or do you have the pull the radio out?
>>
>>21060175
would but I got multiple parts to paint so it will cost a shit ton
>>
>>21060175
>professionally done
>$200

Uh huh
>>
My 99 e39 asc and abs lights are on but turn off in the rain. What Bavarian fuckery is going on here?
>>
File: 1550366384197.gif (1.99 MB, 450x448)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB GIF
I'm having starter issues
>turn key to start and starter will click and nothing else
>less of a flat battery click and more of a metal thud
>if you turn the key to start over and over again. The sound will eventually start getting softer over about 3 tries then turn over
>this can take anywhere from 10 seconds to like 5 minutes of constantly engaging starter
>it never happens while the engine is warm
>it only happens ~50% of the time when cold
>you can "fix* it immediately by putting it in top gear and rocking the car back or fourth to get the crank moving slightly
What do? It seems to me like the starter gear is binding up or something but I really haven't an idea
>>
>>21056829
No, but I drove it home anyways, and I drove a lot today and all night yesterday everywhere. No issues, stalled it twice on hills though.

>>21056887
Thanks, almost everyone here drives toi close. Hill starts at a stoplight with people behind you suck.
>>
>>21060015
Depends on the cost of maintenance over time. An 1800 USD Lexus ES300 with no issues is a good bet. If it has a good maintenance history and little known common problems, I'd go for that.
>>
File: 2019-07-10 (1).png (84 KB, 1920x931)
84 KB
84 KB PNG
I noticed in the VIN report of this car I was looking up, the mileage on the car jumps very suddenly, then goes back down during the next check, but the report itself says that the car didn't have its miles rolled back, so I don't really understand what went on there. Any anons got some insight?
>>
What to know about the 99 cherokee XJ? going to check one out.
>>
File: CR-Z.jpg (55 KB, 1145x560)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
My first car was a Honda Accord 1988 hatchback that I loved but I live in the north so rust ate it to death. I'm finally getting around to buying a newer car after several other cars have come and gone, and I am struggling with telling myself not to buy a CR-Z. I love the way it looks, and while I know they look different for some reason it hits my nostalgia for my first car hard. I usually don't speed or at most go 5 over, is there a reason not to buy one? I do mostly city driving.
>>
File: trans am.jpg (9 KB, 259x194)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
I'd really like to buy a 94 Trans Am but I can only afford one car. I'd have to drive it year round in Michigan. Has anyone attempted this and is it at least doable? Really want something RWD, are there any considerable alternatives?
>>
>>21060144
Its been that way for awhile, manual BMWs have always commanded higher prices in the used market.
>>
>>21060670
Loose connection to the sensors on the hubs?
>>
>>21062490
I drove a 97 z28 stick shift from 99-2005 year round in Michigan. Only got stuck maybe 2x. Launched from 2nd gear in bad snow had good tires too.
>>
>>21060933
Starter is probably fucked. Probably binding. Check fuses, wiring and battery connections condition. Both grounds and positive. You can even inspect flywheel teeth if you feel that horny about it, but odds are is either a bad starter or connection problem from the sound of it.
>>
>>21061336
Probably a typo it should have been 91,505.
>>
>>21062490

RWD with good winter tires will be better than a AWD on all-seasons all day long. just get some good winter tires and youre set, if its legal where you are get studded for the rear too and you should be fine

i live in north Canada and a guy in my neighbourhood drove a old Chevelle yearround for years in winter no issues
>>
I've been fixated on getting a car with massage seats, because I often drive long distances for work and I have back problems.

On one hand, it seems like overindulgent luxury, but on the other hand it seems totally practical, because if you're sitting someplace for a long time you should probably get some stimulation.

Are they a complete meme? Anybody here ever driven a vehicle with this feature before?
>>
>>21041732
Where did the "spinning dorito" phrase originate?
>>
My dad has an NB Miata that he never drives, I think it only has like 15,000 miles on it. I'd like to start driving it a bit, but what issues should I watch out for in a car that for a long time has sat for months at a time without being driven? It seems to run fine but I don't want to fuck anything up.
>>
>>21063160
Change all fluids: diff, tranny, brake, engine oil, coolant, gasoline etc. Run some Sea Foam through the gas, engine oil and intake manifold. Probably need new tires and serpentine belt. Brakes could be cleaned and greased.
Then go drive the fuck out of it. If something breaks it's not your fault, was bound to happen.
>>
>>21063131
Rotary engines
>>
>>21059632
You can post here, or make a thread. You may or may not get a report.
>>
>>21059106
If you're still here post a video of you trying to start it. Almost no oil on the dipstick doesn't mean almost no oil.
>>
>>21058330
Rust. Service history. They're some of the most reliable vehicles America ever made.
>>
>>21057216
K24 would be god-tier in a miat. I would be very envious.
>t. owner of 230 whp turbo miat
>>
>>21056774
Did it slide, like tires were locked up but sliding, or did it roll backwards with tires moving? Either way it didn't damage anything but you might just need new tires or stop parking on a steep mid hill. Wheel chocks may be the solution.
>>
>>21056472
ZF
>>
>>21041732
Really tarded question for you all. How based in reality are KBB prices?
>>
>>21063474
Not at all. NADA is shit too.
>>
>>21063474
Inflated, generally speaking, but moreover, it's not a reflection of what people are actually going to pay, especially not in cash.
>>
>>21043356
Nope, easy. Listen to this guy >>21043468
And not to this guy >>21043478
Just tighten down everything but the lug nuts to as tight as you can get them by hand with a standard ratchet without really straining yourself. Lug nuts, do the same thing with your tire iron. But DO NOT FORGET to re-tighten your lugs after a day or two of driving. I lost a wheel once going down the highway because I didn't do that
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.15 MB, 703x937)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
Should I up my tire pressure by a couple pounds? I'm running 30 psi all the way around and this is how they're wearing
>>
So something I'm kinda struggling to figure out, before I buy a car from someone I usually want to take it into a shop to make sure there's nothing obviously fucked, right? But if I'm interested in a car that's like, an hour + drive away from me, what do I do? I mean the owner probably won't be happy with me asking to take it to a mechanic thats an hour away, that's like a pain in the ass for them. Can I like, pay a shop in that area to give the car a good once over for me? How would I know they're not working me either?
>>
>>21041732
>make new gasket for exhaust flange
>use expensive exhaust gasket sandwich shit made of black fluffy heat resistance studd on squashy steel core
>blows out in like 4 months {two of actual driving) leaving just the steel
what can men do against such evil?
>>
>>21052625
You'd be insane to spend $8,000.00 dollars on that lub of shit.

It's not even that bad of a car, but eight grand? Go on Craigslist and look what eight thousand dollars will buy.
>>
>>21063746

just dont let him pick the shop, find a shop near his place and ask if they do pre purchase inspections and tell the guy you'll pay for one if he will drive it to the shop. i worked in a garage and we did them all the time
>>
>>21063768
Tight, that makes sense. What does the bill on that sort of thing run, and I should probably run the VIN of the car before any of that, yeah? Appreciate the insight.
>>
>>21063746
send a mobile mechanic. pay him with card and you wont even need to turn up.
>>
>>21063779

usually $80-$100 we charged, and yeah run the VIN with Carfax or whatever to make sure it has no liens and has a clear title and isnt salvage/rebuilt. as >>21063787 said theres mobile mechanics too, Craiglist/Kijiji sometimes has them advertised
>>
>>21063792
>>21063787
This is super helpful, and a game changer for me, so thank you both!
>>
>>21063586
try getting an alignment first :^)
>>
>>21063832
some shocks and springs would probably help, too. but still, more or less air?
>>
Would a 1988 fiero have high cost of repairs/ be a problem car? I saw in the OP post they were under the "beginners beware!" header
>>
>>21063996
Meh it's not the worst thing to work on and the engines it came with are reliable.

The problem is said engines are only slightly better than a lawnmower engine in terms of power. That being said 88 was the year they finally fixed most of the problems.
>>
>>21064036
yeah I'm looking at the Formula, but even that only has 135 horsepower, it's pretty weak. But on the flip, if its relatively reliable and a good commuter, I might go in anyway, I like the aesthetic
>>
File: AE86.jpg (276 KB, 1024x805)
276 KB
276 KB JPG
looking to replace the factory steelies on my 94 corolla. will these AE86 mags fit?
>>
>>21063846
32 in the front 30 in the rear?
>>
>>21064258
does higher pressure up front help reduce understeer?
>>
File: 5426.jpg (2.8 MB, 4160x2340)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB JPG
Aside from kbb and autotrader, how can I find out the value of my car? Trying to privately sell it and now sure what to ask for.
>>
>>21064281
Also does anyone have experience with Carmax? Thinking about just going with them if the offer is higher than a dealership but lower than a private seller. Might be worth taking the hit on $$$ to avoid the headache of private selling.
>>
>>21064261
no it will probably reduce grip
>>
File: 20190711_024105.jpg (377 KB, 1080x1921)
377 KB
377 KB JPG
>Best Head & Neck Restraint / Hans Device for drifting?

I take saftey seriously.
Pic related is what I've looked into so far
it's polymer where as the ones double the price are carbon fiber

Would that really matter though In terms of saftey?
I mean ik it will in terms of comfort and weight. But I'll take the polymer if it's just as safe for $500 rather than $1.1k
>>
>>21060043
Motor mounts, flex pipe, exhaust "tightened" and might need an alternator, although the car still drives so it may not be that
>>
Will a car not "drive too good" if the muffler is damaged? I would think think it'd have to literally folded into itself to cause that amount of clog
>>
>>21064815
Just remove it. If it's clogged it could cause backflow. Although it will fail inspection it's better that way. It'll be a little louder tho.
>>
>>21064261
Higher tire pressure usually reduces grip. To reduce understeer you want more grip up front.
>>
>>21064304
>offer is higher than a dealership but lower than a private seller
Overpriced is CarMax.
>>21062780
In my opinion, heated, vibrating, or massage seats are hella uncomfortable. I'd never get them as features.
>>
why is drive-by-wire called that if it is literally not a cable connected to the throttle

i always thought oldschool cable IS drive-by-wire so i just thoroughly confused myself today help i'm having a stroke
>>
File: snip.png (2.88 MB, 1802x1762)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB PNG
So I'm trying to install an aux onto a 2006 Accord, problem is all the videos i've seen show something that looks like the bottom part of this picture.
What I'm currently running into is the top, you can see both that the port is oriented 90 degrees away from me, and it's already populated with something. I removed the screw that's right below the white port (the port I need access to) however nothing's budged.
Currently I'm not sure about:
(a) what is the plug currently used for?
(b) if there's enough clearance to remove it and
(c) if I'd be able to install the aux port if the current port was removed
I'm really new to this stuff, so if it looks like I missed something obvious, I probably did.
>>
>>21064949
On old cars there is a throttle valve you can operate manually and from there you can clearly see the cable which leads back to the gas pedal. Post 2000s cars have electronic throttle now.
>>
File: mazda_cx3_zenith.png (413 KB, 1000x520)
413 KB
413 KB PNG
Did I made a good acquisition?
Brand new, with all the extras for a family of 4
>>
>>21065522
they seem good to me anon. happy for you
>>
Why do people hate rockauto? Things have been smooth and cheap for me.
>>
>>21041732
>Leaf Nismo
>Gazoo Prius
Which of these apparently real things would you daily?
>>
Can I keep a car maintained long term without driving it?
I just moved to a different state and left my car with my dad, who doesn't use it. It's currently costing me $100 a month on Liability and Uninsured Motorist insurance, but if I cancel the registration I don't have to pay. The downside is that if anyone drives my car and gets in an accident, I'm absolutely fucked.
Most of the stuff online about keeping a car unused long-term recommend taking it on a 15-minute drive every 2-3 weeks, and I have a friend whose car got fucked up just from keeping it sitting for months without driving it. But if I get my dad to drive it around every 2 weeks, it runs the risk of something happening and absolutely fucking me over.
Is there a way to keep it in working order without driving it?
>>
>>21065841
The only way to keep it in working order is to drive it. At minimum I say one 15-30 minute drive a month.
>>
>>21065645
Thank you anon, they look and drive fine
>>
>>21065903
Does the whole car need to be exercised, or just the engine?
What if you just keep it in park and rev it a bit for 15-30 minutes? Or put it up on jacks or something and "drive" it inside your garage?
>>
Hello, my brake lights went out, all 3. the reverse lights and directional signals still work. the directional and brake lights at the same bulb. I did replace the bulbs and cleaned the connection, but nothing. I took a look at the circuits under the hood and by the drivers door. the circuits seem to be clean. I'm not sure what it could be. I have a 2002 Chevy Cavalier. any thoughts?
>>
>>21065102
Depends on what your car is equipped with. If you have xm radio or an external cd or 6 cd changer, that might be what is taking up that white port. Radio should still work fine if you remove that and put something else in there. The black port should be the main radio connector.
Removing the radio is fairly easy, pop up top cover in dash center, without mangling the soft part of your dash) remove lower cubby area box under radio, remove 4 -5 screws holding in the radio, remove a couple hvac connectors for hvac controller/radio bezel, remove radio.
Remember your radio code, sometomes its actually on the radio cage if you forget it.
>>
>>21065976
Check relays? Check continuity between connection points? Like bulb connector to relay/fuse? Fuse/relay to battery?
>>
>>21065674
People are stupid or just had a bad experience. I never jad a bad exprience with rockauto though.
>>
File: 68267617_p0.jpg (772 KB, 1563x1107)
772 KB
772 KB JPG
Same car, same chassis, different engines
>first engine is smaller and less powerful, but has a better aftermarket
>second engine is bigger and more powerful stock, but has very little aftermarket

which would you choose?
>>
Saw this on my ride today, didn’t want to trespass. What kind of car is this?
>>
>>21063191
Although you're not wrong, this is not the answer I was looking for. I meant, who started the joke?
>>
>>21066121
Ur mum did
>>
>>21065976
Find your grounding points, and clean them.
>>
Assuming everything is in working order, is $10,000 a decent price for a 93 Wrangler with 150k miles? I'm not a gear head in any sense of the word, but my dad is a pretty knowledgeable mechanic and could look over it himself, but he's certainly no expert on Jeeps. So, anything to look out for or be aware of?
>>
2012 Subaru Legacy for ~$8k?
>>
Is it worth $400 for lowering springs with a 1" drop?
>>
>>21066312
Sounds OK. See if that year is known for head gasket issues; a very expensive fix. Otherwise they're good solid cars.
>>
>>21066090
Triumph Spitfire or variation of one?
>>
>>21065970
Doesn't turn the transmission, bearings or differential gears. Well, unless you jack up the drive wheels and put it in gear. Also you can get flat spots on the tires if it doesn't move and eventually the gas will go bad. If you plan to just rev it for half an hour please put a big fan on high in front of the engine and keep the hood open. But yeah better than nothing.
>>
>>21066303
Yeah, its a 1993 jeep wrangler with 150k fo 10 thousand dallars.
>>
>>21041732
I drive a 2015 Ford Focus which I learned today has a ton of transmission problems. I've only experienced transmission slipping and some delayed acceleration, but apparently other people have reported that the car can slip into neutral, and even accelerate without your foot on the gas.

Ford says the car is safe and I kinda like my car, but my friends and family say I should sell it and get a different car.
What do you guys think?

Would anyone even buy a car with reported transmission problems?
>>
>>21065976
Have any fuses melted? If not, a wire might have burnt out in its plastic connector. My sympathies, unless you're good with car electrics it can be an annoying problem to fix. Hopefully it's an hours work at your local garage to detect the fault and repair.
>>
File: DWMT81096_1.jpg (8 KB, 250x250)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>21055745
Always make sure your engine is cold before you try to remove a spark plug. If the cylinder head is warm when you attempt a spark plug change it increases the chances of damaging the cylinder head.

Do not use a power tool such as an impact driver. Instead use a mechanical hand ratchet. Be gentle and apply a firm steady pressure. The plugs should come out without effort.

Some car engines do have difficult to reach cylinder heads in which case buy extensions for the hand ratchet that have movable joints. Hth.
>>
>>21066564
>If the cylinder head is warm when you attempt a spark plug change it increases the chances of damaging the cylinder head.

Citation needed.
>>
>>21066593
"Always change spark plugs on a cold engine"
>>
anybody have any suggestions for resurfacing/cleaning these marks off?
>>
>>21066605
No. Try again.
>>
>>21066498
>Would anyone even buy a car with reported transmission problems?
Yes, you did.
>>
>>21066611
Meguiars plastx maybe some high grit sandpaper
>>
>>21066611
Maybe a clearcoat cutting compound?
>>
>>21066623
Only because I didnt know about them. I'm not gonna be a scumbag and not tell whoever I'm selling it to about it, you woman.
>>
File: 1552051657079.jpg (107 KB, 576x768)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>21065945
They look quite good for a Crossover, What color did you get it?
>>
>>21066635
based and thankyou
>>
>someone's selling a rolling shell (2015 Mustang GT, no engine or trans) for $2500
>could swap my gen 1 2014 engine in it and have all the benefits of the new generation + cooler look
AHHHHHHHH FUCK
>>
File: 654378.jpg (53 KB, 624x352)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
I'm selling my car. Should I get two new tires, breakpads, and two new belts, or sell it as is? In other words, is it worth it financially?
>>
>>21066847
AS IS
S

I
S
>>
>>21066847
It's never worth it. Sell as is.
>>
>>21066847
*brake pads
>>
>>21066847
If the current tires look shitty enough to hurt its chances of selling, it might be worth it to get some less shitty (not new) tires.
Otherwise, no. The buyer probably isn't going to care enough about all the new shit to pay the new shit's worth on top of what you would have originally asked.
>>
I fucked up and blew a tire hitting a pothole. It's a new car, the tires only have like 2500 miles on them. Can I safely just get one new tire? On the wheel there's no visible dent but it's scraped on the outside edge and also a bit on the top where it touches the tire. Is there a chance the wheel is fucked too?
>>
Does ANYONE know what model is this?
>>
>>21041732
>be 94 Integra
>low 1k rpm stuttering
>clean IAC
>still happens.
what do goys?
>>
>>21066847
>brake pads
Inexpensive.
>Two new belts
Inexpensive, if you're replacing it yourself.
>2 tires
Don't bother.
>>
What car dis interior of
And tbank
>>
>>21066676
I wanted the red one, but it won't be available till august and I need a car asap since some asshole totally wreck my old one, so gray it is
>>
>>21067258
check dizzy, contact points, wires condition and sparkplugs
>>
Is a 2005-2009 Outback H6 a good, reliable daily? I heard the H6 is a lot better than the H4 for that generation.
>>
File: 83311247.jpg (33 KB, 500x480)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
Please tell me I'm not insane.
Had this memory of a behind the scenes part of a movie where they showed how they made runaway cars, cars without drivers.
It was a midget in the engine bay looking through the grill driving.
>>
>>21068348
I mean, it sounds plausible. Midgets were valuable tools in filmmaking, at least before electronics and remote control stuff advanced.
All the small droids in the original Star Wars trilogy like the gonk droid and R2-D2 were just midgets operating props from the inside.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.