[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 2019-06-12 19.31.16.jpg (446 KB, 941x530)
446 KB
446 KB JPG
Wednesday Night Wrenching Thread
>944 ball joints are fucking retarded edition

What are y/o/u guys working on tonight? You do work on your own car, right?
>>
Not my car because I'm 3k miles away from it atm, but I'm removing the power train from a Macan at school right now. Pretty interesting considering theres no procedure in the manual for doing it so were using last years manual and this years cayenne manual as reference
>>
File: 2019-06-12 20.06.52.jpg (342 KB, 941x530)
342 KB
342 KB JPG
>>20946841
Thats actually pretty damn cool. Is dealing with all the sensors and computer stuff a pain?
Also, first ball joint rebuilt.
>>
>>20946841
Did they change anything this year? I thought they were still using the EA888 and stuff.
>>
>>20946949
I'm not too sure we just started, and I'm also not to sure what I can post about about since their was a paper I signed. Definitely cant post any pictures unfortunately. So far it's just been little things like windshield washer reservoir has been relocated ( removed for no reason while following last year's manual only to discover this year it no longer interferes with dropping the power train because it's been moved) and things like that. Wish I could get more in detail but also dont want to blow this once in a lifetime opportunity I got to to come to this school. Right now we have the 2019 macan, a 2019 cayenne diesel and a 2020 cayenne were pulling powertrains on and from my understanding were the first people to do this one these models here so were breaking new ground every day
>>
File: WRX Heads 2.jpg (325 KB, 1885x1060)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
>>20946833
Got my heads back from the machine shop, going to reassemble the motor soon.
>>
>>20947046
Pretty sick, m8. Did you have any porting or anything done to them or just a clean up and surfacing job?
>>
>>20947078
Just surfaced, the car is only going to make ~300 hp on 91 octane, so no need for porting.
>>
>>20947115
Gotchya. Are you doing the head job now cause the gaskets blew?
>>
>>20947129
Dead lifted due to using the OEM head bolts and not surfacing the head the first time, car will now be getting ARP head studs.
>>
>>20947137
The head*
>>
>>20947137
Oh, well that's good. Good luck, my man. Are boxers as shitty to work on as everyone says they are?
>>
>>20947198
Porsche guy from earlier in the thread, not when you can charge the customer to remove the entire power train for every little procedure trolololol. Dude I wish I could post pictures I took of the 918 boxster/Cayman in service position and with the engine covers removed, you literally have like a littl 10x12" window to work in on top and on front of the motor. Anything other than a service or a belt requires power train removal
>>
>>20947217
Kek, and I thought the 944 was bad. How many hours in the book is a drive train removal on the 918?
>>
>>20947217
>>20947198
Subarus are easy, I dont know much about porches, only ever fucked with an 944t.
>>
>>20947251
Couldnt tell ya off the top of my head and I don't have access to the workshop manual from home, I can check tomorrow and see how many time units it logs. So is that your 944?
>>
>>20947217
So this is bad? Ferd's 4.6l v8 booked 8 hours for spark plugs. And it took the whole 8 fucking hours.
>>
>>20947217
>>20947251
Just realized I've made a horrible mistake I meant to say 718. As in boxster/Cayman. They would never let my bitch ass so much as even breath in the general direction of a 918 spyder much less would they have one Just sitting around here at the school
>>
>>20947265
Nah, don't worry about it, man. I was just curious, but don't go out of the way to find it.

And actually, this isn't my 944. I had an '83 for a while that I loved, but sold it cause I got for way too cheap and just about everything was breaking. At the time, I was a high school poorfag. Replacing the clutch in that thing was one of the most hellish jobs I've ever done. This is a friend's '86, though I'm certainly in the market for another 944 soon.

>>20947290
Also, kek, I knew exactly what you were talking about and I wrote the same thing down. I would even want to touch one of those for fear of stripping out a single bolt and being out $250.
>>
File: 20190121_151126.jpg (1.39 MB, 2160x2160)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
>>20947286
At my old shop we had to do an oil pan gasket on a 7.3 in a big converted baja van, it flagged like 32 hours or some shit because the whole motor had to come out with the transmission. Unfortunately the customs shop that converted it welded a bull bar that covered the whole front to the frame so we couldn't get the motor out. Ended up charging the customer like 37 hours I think, but the heavy line guy I worked with and I dropped the trans and transfer case out the the bottom, undid the exhaust (was also in for leaking exhaust gaskets) and then lifted it up with pole jacks, removed the oil pan and pickup tube and wiggled it out. We were done in a day and the heavy line guy made mad bank. I was hourly so I didnt care
>>
>>20947307
That fucking sucks. Hate it when other people make your life harder.
>>
>>20946833

Reassembling a big ass 60gal ingersol rand compressor that i removed from a customers location for my garage - got a free air reel today too for it. It just had a bad start capacitor but I went thru and lubed up all the bearings / inspected. Runs pretty good.
>>
>>20946833
Not throughout the week, unless I get off work early. Spend the little time I have before work relaxing or throwing stuff at the wife and baby
>>
>>20947316
It ended up being not too bad we were done in like 8 hours but the heavy line guy had been doing Fords since he was 16 so he more or less knew all cheat codes
>>20947303
I'll be honest with u man I'm an American muscle guy I have a project camaros I've been working on for like 2 years but going to these classes and learning about all this stuff makes me want to buy an 80s Porsche and go crazy with it. Only I would want to have something mid or rear engine for the authentic experience so I'd probably have to go older. Unfortunately I cant afford shit unless I put even more money into the Camaro to make it nicer then sold it and bought a Porsche for like 10k and fixed it up with 5k but the Camaro is basically an extension of me now so that won't ever happen
>>
File: 2019-06-12 22.00.40.jpg (262 KB, 782x561)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
>>20947334
I feel that, man. I love the 944, but hot damn, I want a rear engine car. What year Camaro? I daily a Foxbody, but I seriously wish I had went with one of the the 80's long nose Camaros.

Also, self tap bolts holding on the control arms impossible to thread back in without cutting new, stripped threads. Thanks Porsche.
>>
Spent more time than I should've trying to fix the seats in my 240. The foam had torn through the frame so gluing it was my only option because I'm not spending $250 on new foam. I really hope it works out
>>
File: 20190425_170832.jpg (3.53 MB, 4032x1960)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB JPG
>>20947416
It's actually a 79 with the nose cone. I tore it all down and rebuilt the engine for boost, put in a streetfighter th350 transmission and megashifter, positrac 3.90 rear end, took apart the whole front to the subframe end and re did everything up there as far as brakes steering suspension and mounts, coilovers all around, and then put in an efi with a wbo2 and a map sensor, pwm fuel pump and digital ignition with a handheld tuner to change my tune on the fly for the supercharger as far as air fuel mixture and ignition timing at wot, idle, cruise and all that. Was a major project and ultimately helped me get into the Porsche school as it demonstrated a good depth of knowledge of various automotive systems
>>
>>20947447
Dude, that thing is fucking kick ass. If I were you, I certainly wouldn't sell it for a RR Porsche, as cool as they are. How did you get into the Porsche school if you don't mind me asking. Did you just straight up apply for it or do some sort of apprenticeship first?
>>
>>20946833

Replacing a starter on my jeep with a 4.0. Noticed that the bolts are different sizes, top is M10-1.5 and bottom is 3.8-16. The bitch is almost identical but 10mm is just a cunt hair larger diameter.
>>
2017 silvy with only 7k on it is rough idling and shifting fucky in the first few gears. All i get on forums is boomers telling me to use seafoam idk where to start fuck.
>>
>>20947524
I went to UTI and got straight A's and won several student of the course awards. The Porsche program had openings and i applied through UTIs employment department and completed the application process it was like several interviews, a mechanical aptitude multiple choice test, vocab test, personality test, drug test, and background check. At the time I had one year of shop experience and I had 8 passed ASEs. I was a marine before in a non combat job that had a 6 month school on electronics repair and general tool use, reading manuals, wiring diagrams, ordering parts and things like that. I did that that for 5 years which went on my resume, but also translated to 2 years of experience on my ASE which combined with my 1 year of actual automotive experience gave me "3 years" of experience as far as ASE goes and thus granted me master technician status. Also I need to submit my UTI degree to the ASE too because that's apparently another "year" of experience which would bring me up to 4 years on paper of professional experience. They really like veterans here at the school because we live in school subsidized housing which were responsible for cleaning up and whatnot and in the military cleaning your room is a huge deal so that transfers over well. Also, they have a rotating "student foreman" type deal where one guy is charge of all his peers for a week and well being almost 30 and a marine it comes pretty natural to me to organize a group of 18-20 year olds to clean up the shop, put tools away, plug in all the test equipment overnight etc etc.
>>
>>20947564
That sounds awesome, actually. I've always wanted to do something similar and that sounds like a great route to take. I finished high school last year and I just took the SIFT test to go fly as a Warren Officer in the Army. I plan on doing my 6 years, then getting out and doing something similar to what you're doing. Are you enjoying it so far?
>>
>>20947640
Yea man I'm living the fucking dream, uti was a blast and is criminally under rated, the problem is the graduation requirements are so laxed that any retard can just go in and graduate without learning anything, but the actual curriculum was top tier. If you applied yourself asked plenty of questions, take notes and talk to the professors after class then you end up learning a ton and actually get your moneys worth, and then of course are eligible to picked up by manufacturers seeking apprentices. At my school we had guys from Mercedes, Porsche, Cummins, peterbilt, Volvo, and a whole host of others providing paid training and guaranteed jobs afterwards. Porsche was the toughest one but also the most rewarding because the school is another 6 months long, they pay for housing, and provide you with a local job while attending school. Starting pay averages to about 21 an hour and you get bronze certified. It was highly selective man theres 10 students in the class but like said were going balls deep into the crazy German sports cars that most people cant even figure out how to do a coolant flush on. First 3 weeks we dropped the power train on a 991v2 911
>>
File: IMG_20190529_193406408.jpg (2.81 MB, 4096x3072)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB JPG
Clutch job
>>
File: 1555900971105.jpg (114 KB, 700x700)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
Not wrenching today, probably wont be able to this weekend either. Work is kicking my ass right now. Accumulating parts for when I have time to wrench, hopefully soon. Keep thinking of more shit I want to fix/swap/modify, trying to do it in logical increments but it isn't easy, haha. WTF /o/, I just want to drive my car again but I guess when its back it will be better than ever.

Pic somewhat unrelated
>>
File: 20190613_002301.jpg (975 KB, 1080x1486)
975 KB
975 KB JPG
Changed tires
>>
Wrote and passed my GED today, got my birth certificate and my passport, so I just cruised around lake. Does wrenching on your life count?
>>
>>20948220
Not bad!
>>
File: How-to-adjust-chain.jpg (882 KB, 2560x1570)
882 KB
882 KB JPG
Am I doing it right?
>>
>>20948250
nah, need to use a chisel
>>
>>20948250
Don't hit it too too hard, you'll fuck up the threads from your chain adjusters.
>>
File: 20190609_152057.jpg (2.53 MB, 2048x1536)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB JPG
>>20946833
Replacing head gaskets on my friends Suzuki
It's pretty awful

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.