[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: IMG_20190503_122450.jpg (2.52 MB, 3968x2976)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB JPG
Be honest
Has /o/ ever taken their car to a mechanic before?
>>
yeah because i don't fuck with coil springs
>>
No retard I take my car to the veterinarian
>>
Only for oil changes
>>
>>20820828
I imagine most people have. At a minimum, it often makes sense for warranty and specialty work.
>>
>>20820828
Just because we're enthusiasts doesn't mean we know everything so yeah.
>>
I did for oil changes when I got my first car, after the fifth oil change I realized it was costing a bit much so then decided to do everything myself afterwards. Now Ive worked on engines and helped a friend in swaps. Looking back just three years ago, I'm glad I took the initiative to do my own oil change.
>>
>>20820828
for any car thats 1980 or newer i do, i hate that new shit. i only know how to work on simple things below 80.
>>
>>20820828
yes because these days in my late-twenties, I don't have the patience or desire anymore to crawl under a car on stands in my garage. I'd rather pay the dollar so they can do it professionally and I am worry-free.

Last time I did that was for the powersteering pump on my sedan as well as re-sealing the transmission oil pan gasket and change of filter. Both jobs would have had me covered in smelly oil and me cursing at my ineptitude. Maybe if I was younger, around 21 again.
>>
>>20820900
>because these days in my late-twenties
>Maybe if I was younger
>>
>>20820828
When I was 18 with my first car my dad took my car to a junkyard he was co owner of and had one of the guys put an alternator in it.
Probably one of the biggest regrets of my life.
Last job I did was a transmission swap on my car, had to do it twice because the first transmission was bad.
>>
File: dscf1274.jpg (342 KB, 800x600)
342 KB
342 KB JPG
>>20820921
Its true though. I feel like I'm late 60's. I'm so jaded and tired. For me, its worth the money to pay a pro to do the car. I leave it, pay him and drive off- hassle-free.

When before I would pull my hair out and tackle a super-difficult engine rebuild job for hours or days. I just lost the desire or drive or incentive to. Maybe if I get back into drifting or circuit racing. That's a big maybe going into my 30's.
>>
Yeah. RB26 wasn’t something I had the knowledge or want to tear into
>>
Nope.

>>20820946
>I feel like I'm late 60's
You sound like it too. How the fuck does one become such a dusty old fart so early in life? What did you do wrong?
>>
>>20820946

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>20820956
Ever be chronically tired?
People have trouble going to sleep, I have trouble waking up.

>>20820946
I still wouldn't ever trust any wrench monkey to do anything even halfway correctly.
There is no peace of mind when a mechanic works on your car.
>>
>>20820828
>Has /o/ ever taken their car to a mechanic before?
I take my family car in for service because I don't want it to be down for maintenance as it is the only car that will take a child seat.
>>
>>20820966
Yeah, due to malnourishment. So it's like some disorder or something then?
>>
>>20820828
yeah seeing as I work at a shop and my employee discount is literally cheaper than if I were to do an oil change at home. Plus we have lifts.
>>
>>20820956
probably a tradie
>>
File: 25227KTS brace S14.jpg (166 KB, 500x375)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
>>20820956
>>20820957
>>20820966

hey man, people live different lives. Mine I suppose is particularly rough/stressful. It's not always peachy for everyone early in life and I wished mine was different. I'm late-twenties yet I feel so absolutely tired and jaded and worn out. I was an auto mechanic for a few years and it sort of made me despise working on cars at the end of that career. I still have the skills and tools and I still love cars and working on them. But these days, just lost motivation and desire to. I can just pay someone now and I'm thankful for that.

I agree, when I work on my machines, I do it in a way that reflects my work ethic. My cars were always maintained in such a ridiculous manner; to the point of chasing every single bolt thread and making sure assembly of parts is super pristine clean. Mechanics around here just throw shit on the ground and sometimes forget shit because they're on the clock. Protip: find like some Japanese professional auto shop team for your Japanese car. They have a certain pride in their work because it reflects on their culture.
>>
File: Eggs with legs.jpg (33 KB, 600x583)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
took my beater to a dude 20 minutes from the middle of a grid road. he stopped the engine from leaking 3 quarts of oil every trip and it was an overall pleasant exchange.
>>
>>20820828
No shit. I don't have or want to spend the money on specialty tools. I don't have an alignment rack or corner scales. I don't have a dyno. I don't have a bearing press. I don't have a brake lathe. And there's some jobs that are just too complex unless I want it to sit in my garage for 4 years like a forum larper.
>>
>>20820973
It's not malnourishment. It's the infernal Jew. He's intentionally poisoning us and killing morale.
>>
>>20820828

9 years ago when I was 17 and had a 2001 convertible mustang. The hydraulic motor went out and I damaged the top by forcing it closed. Mechanics were all Mexicans, but they did a good and fast same day job repair and putting in the new top I bought. Only concern I had was they put my AC on full blast when I got my car back later that day and, like, their shop was already full of metal fans so why use my topless car’s AC to cool off?
>>
>>20821598
Maybe some steps of installation need to be done with the top up and they didn't want to sweat it out in a stuffy car. Or they road tested while getting lunch to hear any leaks or rattles.
>>
>>20820828
Only once to replace a ball joint I didnt feel like pressing out myself
>>
>>20820828
I took a generator for my 55 dodge to a little specialty shack to get it done. I was seventeen and didn't want to f up an unobtainable part. Now I have the balls to fuck it up. It cost me ten bucks and they repainted and everything. Little shed made out of corrugated steel. They only did starters and alternators. Don't think that kind of place exists anymore.
>>
I live in an apartment. The only thing I can do in the parking lot is change a tire.
>>
>>20820828
Yes, they change oil far chjeaper than its possible to do at home and when I get a completely stuck bolt or whatever I let them do it.
My health is fucked as well and sometimes I need work done when I am physically incapable of even having a shower.

All upgrades and fun work I do myself.
Pita suffering shit, I take to mechanic. Fuck spending 8 hours and a wrench on a fucking bolt when the local boys do it for a fiver and half an hour.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.