[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1390464646850.jpg (804 KB, 1024x640)
804 KB
804 KB JPG
ITT automotive facts that people rarely know about. I'll start with a few

1) Diesel fuel is actually named after Rudolf Diesel, the inventor of the diesel engine

2) The blue tint that HID headlights emit comes from cherenkov radiation. Because Xenon is a non-radioactive, stable element, there is no lethal radiation emitted

3) The first autonomous car was invented in the Ukraine. It was called the Dyatlov and it could travel up to 50 mph, using only analog equipment for guidance and obstacle avoidance.
>>
>>20815415
OP is a fag, oh wait, that's commonly known
>>
The engineer who invented intermittent wiper blades spent decades suing manufacturers for stealing his invention.
In the end, he won millions.
>>
When you turn the engine and radio and lights go off, it is because starter takes unlimited power. It is not a design feature. Same with a fast blinking turn signal when one is burned out. It takes double amps not a design feature.
>>
>>20816047
>When you turn the engine and radio and lights go off, it is because starter takes unlimited power.
>unlimited power.
WRONG
>Same with a fast blinking turn signal when one is burned out. It takes double amps not a design feature.
Damn you're dumb
>>
>>20816300
That's funny because im right. In a parallel circuit, voltage is the same on each load. When a load is removed from a burnt bulb, it's amperage (in this case, 50 percent) needs to go somewhere, so it will go to the other bulb and double the heat through the interrupter. This came right out of my ass with no google required. I would explain the rest but, you probably wouldn't understand.
>>
>>20815415
She looks 8 ft tall next to this thing
Reality is she is 5'4"
>>
>>20815415
Not a fan of pinup style. Makes me think of fat rockabilly chicks too much.
>>
>>20816544
Sounds like you got deep down fat fetish
>>
>>20815415
>2) The blue tint that HID headlights emit comes from cherenkov radiation. Because Xenon is a non-radioactive, stable element, there is no lethal radiation emitted
>Cherenkov radiation
Calling BS on this one.
>>
>>20816479
you have just enough of an understanding of electronics to sound like you almost know what you're talking about but you're still embarrassing yourself. how is the frequency related to the current?
>>
>>20816553
Wouldn’t that mean I would like pinups? Sounds like you have a fat fetish to me anon.
>>
>>20816544
What's amazing is that she's wearing heels that tall and still has no ass to speak of.
>>
>>20816572
>how is the frequency related to the current?
>he doesn't understand how a turn signal relay works
>>
>>20816574
Go on
>>
>>20816581
Forget that. Look at the corner of her lip.
>>
>>20816572
Oh honey, time to go to bed.
>>
>>20816647
That’s nothing, look at her sharp elbows
>>
>>20816300
>>20816479
actually the blinker blinks faster because old school mechanical blinker solenoids operated with a bimetalic strip, which would not heat up as quickly when only 1 bulb is pulling current. so actually the current is less you sped lol
>>
>>20816671
>>
>>20816638
I guess you're right, I didn't know they were thermal relays. I assumed they used some kind of charge storage element like everything else. I might have taken you seriously at first if you hadn't used the word ""amperage""
>>
>>20816694
I think that’s a thing that car guys say

-t. soldiers tiny awful noisemakers together
>>
>>20815415
This is just worthless trivia shit no one gives a fuck about.
>>
File: 1557321072765.jpg (977 KB, 1920x1080)
977 KB
977 KB JPG
>>20815415
why are so many Ukrainian things named Dyatlov?
Dyatlov pass
pic related
>>
>>20816535
>she
>>
>>20815607
BAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>20816572
>frequency
We are talkind DC so you are using the word to mean "occurrence." ?? Through time blikers have used flashers, moduals and relays. It is easy to imagine water flow through a hose. Attach a two hose manifold. And spinning sprinklers to each of two hoses comming from a source of one hose. Tie a knot in one hose going to a sprinkler and the other one spins twice as fast. You are the only one who earns a (you). Your use of the word "frequency" is questionable buy I see a question hidden in your insult. I am educated in automotive electronics, avionics, fiber, and FCC licensed. Communication with writing is a problem with incompatible anons who have a chip on their internet shoulder but, Ive also been an adequate service writer and contributed to writing technical manuals. I may be guilty of being a dumbass as Ive seen some of the dumb shit my predecessors have done and no doubt, the next gen will have problems with me.
>>
>>20816678
>>20816671
I=E/R you going to argue with that? Or you don't understand simple math(s)?
>>
File: IMG_0060.png (201 KB, 723x318)
201 KB
201 KB PNG
>>
>>20816694
What's wrong with that?
>>
File: Rudolph.jpg (171 KB, 538x717)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>20815415
Diesel mysteriously disappeared in the ocean too. Probably a suicide but wild nonetheless
>>
>>20816796
Normie detected
>>
>>20815415
Is Rudolf Diesel really that unknown?
>>
File: frequentie spectrum.jpg (140 KB, 1024x712)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
Seriously people don't assume 'nuclear' every time they see the words 'radiate' or 'radiation,' do they?

Light and sound are radiation ffs.
>>
>>20817369
To most people the word “radiation” conjures up images like this
>>
>>20816479
MORON. FUCKING STUPID IDIOT CUNT FUCK, GO DIE IN A FIRE.
The voltage across a parallel load remains the same for the same ideal current supply, adding more parallel devices reduces the total impedance of the parallel circuit, thus increasing current draw, REMOVING DEVICES FROM A PARALLEL CIRCUIT DOES NOT MAKE THE REMAINING DEVICES DRAW MORE CURRENT INDIVIDUALLY, YOU DAFT CUNT. The old school blinker blink rate was dependent on there being a somewhat good balance of the various impedances in the circuit.

>>20816047
YOU SHIT FUCK. Non-essential electrics are shut off during startup to spare the battery the unnecessary load and to avoid potentially damaging sensitive electronics by voltage fluctuations. IT IS A DESIGN FEATURE

>>20817005
AAAAARGH.
I WILL DEMAND YOU BANNED FOR LIFE, YOU CUNT. YOU CANNOT EQUATE WATER FLOW DYNAMICS TO VOLTAGE EFFECTS. A WATER SPRINKLER SYSTEM IS FED BY A COMPRESSOR, RESTRICTING FLOW WILL MAKE THE COMPRESSOR BUILD UP MORE PRESSURE, THIS DOES NOT OCCUR IN BATTERY-FED ELECTRONICS, YOU STUPID FUCK, GO TELL YOUR DAD HOW MUCH OF A LITTLE FAGGOT YOU WERE AND PRAY TO ME AND GOD ALMIGHTY THAT HE DOESN'T KILL YOU ON THE SPOT
>>
>>20817005
>>20816047
>>20816479
BUT I WILL GIVE YOU A CHANCE. I WILL GIVE YOU THIS ONE OPPORTUNITY TO APOLOGIZE AND SEEK FORGIVENESS FROM ME. YOU WILL PROSTRATE YOURSELF BEFORE THE THREAD AND ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A DUMB FUCK, AND YOU WILL LURK FOR 10 YEARS BEFORE POSTING ON 4CHAN AGAIN, YOU UNDERAGE FAGGOT
>>
File: 1528275975610.png (313 KB, 757x1200)
313 KB
313 KB PNG
>>20817674
Haha woah calm down, have a Dr. Foots®
>>
>>20815415
>The blue tint that HID headlights emit comes from cherenkov radiation
Wrong. It's due to the surface temperature of the bulb in kelvin, 7-12k degrees k.
>>
File: image.gif (84 KB, 290x220)
84 KB
84 KB GIF
>>20817523
I wrote a foot long post explaining how you are wrong about everything you said and my iPad fucked up. I'm not doing it again so I guess you're right.
>>
>>20818022
Where's mine? I'm the one getting outvoted by stupidity.
>>
alright lads for the blinker stuff it's just that the capacitor or bilame get charged or heat quicker so the rate of blinking go up right ?
hence why when you put a led instead of buld it goes quicker because the led draw less power
>>
>>20818086
Yes. But I'm the one getting yelled at in capital letters. You are correct
>>
>>20818086
Oh, but it could be "old school" also. It doesn't matter. Ohm's law won't give a fuck if there is a flasher or capacitor or relay.
>>
Brainlets ITT mix up bimetallic blinker circuits and RLC timing circuits, their response to burned out bulbs is the opposite.
A bimetallic system depends on heating effects. The bimetallic relay is in series with the light bulb circuit. One of the light bulbs shorting out increases its resistance, reducing the current (and voltage drop) through the relay, slowing down the blinking rate (less current, less heating).
And RLC systems change frequency with changes in resistance, thus a burned-out light bulb will make a car made between the 50s and 90s blink faster.
Brainlets also equate hydraulic effects to electric effects, which is just peak brainletism.
Busriders that never replaced their own tires or light bulbs are what's ruining this board.
>>
>>20818118
increases the parallel circuit's resistance*
>>
File: 10114504.jpg (66 KB, 334x609)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>20815415
>the Ukraine
>>20818086
>hence why
>>
>>20818118
>reducing the current (and voltage drop)
This does not compute. Quit samefagging all over the place. This is not what the thread is about. Hydraulic circuit are comparable. I am a flow technician and we were taught electrical math to understand flow dynamics.
>>
>>20818316
>This does not compute
>confusion translates to a knee-jerk "samefagging" accusation
Of course it does not compute. I'd like to see your worthless degree and the meme institution that issued it. Adding more element to a parallel circuit reduces its overall resistance, doing the opposite does the opposite. Having a greater voltage drop over the bulb circuit (which has several parallel bulb circuits) reduces the voltage drop over the bimetallic relay, since the total voltage drop over the entire circuit remains the same. Heat generation is proportional to voltage drop (or current flowing through, the two values are interdependent by a coefficient known as the resistance of the circuit, that's your Ohm's law). Less heat = slower cycling of heat-based switching circuits. The opposite happens in oscillating circuits.

Hydraulics and electrics are incompatible in most cases, since hydraulics are run off pumps (and some stabilization tanks that can permit up to +-50% pressure difference in household water systems), restricting the flow will cause a pressure increase which completely fucks up your shitty analogy. Electric circuits, by comparison, do not have this property, they maintain the same voltage drop between the positive and negative terminal, and which part of the circuit draws the most power is determined by your circuit design
>>
>>20818446
You are definitely samefagging. I'm not an electrician. I didn't make the first move in this clusterfuck. I DO know how to apply ohms law and can work the math on a relatively Harry schematic drawing. I have been told that voltage remains the same in a parallel circuit and current is addictive across the branches so I don't know what you are saying about voltage drop. This information was given to me by numerous teachers and I won't just change my mind because you are the Don Quixote of righteousness. I know plenty about flow and as we say in the biz, "flow is flow." If you dump ten amps in a circuit or ten gallons in a tube, ten are going to come out somewhere. That is not the same with pressure so, I can't say I have or haven't had experience with these magical voltage drops that you speak of (I don't know.) it is more accurate to say that restrictions in flow cause a pressure differential and that is probably the drop that you are talking about. I deal with oil and fuel not pussy ass water but same shit. I have had over 2000 hours of training and electricity is a ready made comparison to flow. If you don't understand that, I doubt everything you say. I concede that a pressure differential can equate to a voltage drop by using my knowledge of flow shit but you cannot seem to do the same. This could have been an interesting thread but you fuckers are hellbent on wrecking it. What a stupid dick. See how I can say I don't know? And note that that was a rhetorical question.
>>
File: download (30).jpg (9 KB, 185x139)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>20815415
The term "that's a doozie" meaning something large or impressive comes from an American manufactured luxury car company that operated before the great depression. The Duesenburg car company made some of the most luxurious and expensive cars in the world and mostly sold to wealthy elite like royalty, celebrities, and business magnates.
>>
>>20815415
Hitler was a sensitive man.
>>
>>20815415
De Lorean had a lot to do with the design of the 64 pontiac GTO and his car company was a fromt for his cocaine business.

Lee Iacoca. hehe, he said coca. Was responsible for the Ford Mustang and went on to be the presence of chrysler because ford sux.

The dodge brothers made engines for ford before splitting because ford sux.

When Henry Ford was taking bids for contracting, idk generators or some shit, there were specific instructions on what dimensions and type of wood the shipping boxes must be. These boxes were used to make the floorboards and trunks and stuff. What a mother fucker. He also hated jews like Hitler. He wasn't all bad.
>>
>>20818706
Henry Ford was a really big waste not, want not kind of guy. Kingsford charcoal, named after a man who ran Ford's timber procurement, was created as a way to use all the wood scraps Ford had left over from making cars.
>>
>>20817155
A Curse:

Dark was that day when Diesel
conceived his grim engine that
begot you, vile invention,
more vicious, more criminal
than the camera even,
metallic monstrosity,
bale and bane of our Culture,
chief woe of our Commonweal.

How dare the Law prohibit
hashish and heroin yet
license your use, who inflate
all weak inferior egos?
Their addicts only do harm
to their own lives: you poison
the lungs of the innocent,
your din dithers the peaceful,
and on choked roads hundreds must
daily die by chance-medley.

Nimble technicians, surely
you should hang your heads in shame.
Your wit works mighty wonders,
has landed men on the Moon,
replaced brains by computers,
and can smithy a “smart” bomb.
It is a crying scandal
that you cannot take the time
or be bothered to build us,
what sanity knows we need,
an odorless and noiseless
staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973)

>>20818664
Based.
>>
>>20818171
The Ukraine is grammatically correct depending on the school of english.
>>
>>20818799
The eternal anglo cries out in pain as he strikes you.
>>
>>20818639
You're getting it wrong at the "dump ten amps" part. You're not dumping amps, you're setting up a potential difference - a voltage - on a circuit. The circuit is only going to draw as much amps as its resistance allows.

>"Magical voltage drops"
Learn Kirchhoff's law, the first and most fundamental law of electrics, before you decide to be a sperg about shit you don't understand
>>
>>20818828
It was a manner of speech Anon. I understand that. I'll check out Mr. K. Maybe this is what you do for enjoyment but t it seems that you agree with the original shit starter that it is a phenomenon of electricity and not exactly a design feature. Some people have a different way of seeing the same shit. I am not equipped to argue.
>>
>>20818808
it literally isn't
>>
>>20818808
Some schools of English are not right, though
>>
>>20818799
Are you a UK fag that posts on other forums? I recognise that from someone on UK forums.
>>
>>20818828
Fuck. I, trying to sleep watching that stuff but I'm going to have some questions later. The first stupid one is that "direction" seems like a big deal and how are some cars positive ground? I thought I understood that but now, ??. I always figured who cares. It still looks like flow is flow thow.
>>
>>20818921
>Are you a UK fag

I wouldn't even touch that island with a 10 mile stick.
>>
>>20818935
The problem with the "flow is flow" mindset is, when talking about electrics and electronics, that it only works with specialized lab power supplies. Common power supplies are either stabilized by a fat, high-capacity, high-output battery, or the grid itself, which is so vast and stable, you can use ideal battery math for loads you'd find in a household, i.e. the power source has some "inner resistance" associated with it, but is otherwise unaffected by the load. This is in stark contrast to most hydraulics, which are supplied a pressure differential (the equivalent of voltage) by pumps. In the mathematical sense, pumps are better characterized as sources of flow rather than sources of pressure - as a consequence, when you block the output, the pressure will rise to maintain the flow. A better approximation of electric current dynamics via hydraulics would be hydrostatic pressure - a water tower. If you punch a hole in a side wall at the base of a water tank, the jet of water will be proportionate to the water level in the tank, i.e. the hydrostatic pressure. If you punch a thousand holes around the base, you will not slow down the flow out of the individual holes. The total flow out of the tank will go up, but the flow through each individual hole will be determined by the water level.
>>
>>20818935
I think this post >>20820026 should definitively drive the point about voltage in parallel circuits home.

Now to the original matter - blinkers. Nowadays, blinkers are controlled by car microprocessors giving power to the blinker lights in defined intervals, but past systems needed some timing circuit. Designs were varied - about as much as wine. Really ancient cars / car designs used bimetallic strips that changed shape based on heat, switching much like classic thermostats. On a side note, many household thermometers used the same principle to indicate temperature instead of switching. These were slowed down by bulbs going out and sped up by attaching more bulbs (i.e. attaching a trailer). Most cars that experience a blinking frequency increase when a bulb goes out employ an oscillating circuit driving a two-state switching circuit. The underlying voltage problem affecting both cases is as follows.
Suppose a really primitive model consisting of only a set of 2 parallel bulbs, and a black box representing the switching system in series after the parallel circuit.
Two components with identical resistances connected in parallel produce a total resistance for that parallel circuit which is half the resistance of one component, so two bulbs with 10 ohm resistance (bullshit numbers just for the point) in parallel will produce a circuit with an apparent resistance of 5 ohms between the input and output joint of the circuit. Voltage drop math is used to calculate the load on parallel circuits, because the resistances don't have to be the same and current then distributes itself in inverse proportion to resistance - using the voltage to calculate power draw is much simpler then.
Now, let's suppose that the switching "black box" and the bulb circuit both have 5 ohms resistance and are in series. One bulb goes out, so now that parallel circuit has a total resistance calculated as the parallel of 10 ohms (the resistance of one bulb) and infinity, which is 10 ohms.
>>
>>20820026
Kirchhoff's junction rule states that at any junction ( node ) in an electrical circuit, the sum of the currents flowing into that junction is equal to the sum of the currents flowing out of that junction.

This seems to say that flow is flow. I agree with all you say but pumps are pretty sloppy in real world conditions also. It is all that happens after the supply that determines the supply. The water tower with a thousand holes is (to my limited understanding) a parallel circuit where pressure is the same and the flow of all outlets (junctions) equals the flow of the inlet. flow measures can be cheated in a complex flow bench because inlet is actually a measure of all outlets combined. If you have a gear pump and know the bypass and outlets the inlet can be determined by simply adding them together. Fun stuff. I take it that you are also having a hard time sleeping. I need to bust out some books on Kirchhoff I'm not understanding how it is applied and Ohms seems sufficient for the girls I go with.
>>
>>20820096
>bimetallic
I know someone likes to keep throwing this in but none of this is a mystery to me or the other guy.
>>
>>20820096
(cont.) You could apply current draw laws now, if you wanted (the total resistance of the circuit increased, so the current through the whole circuit will decrease), but I'll stay with relative voltage drops.

We'll keep things simplified: you now have the 12 volts DC from the car battery split not between 5 ohms and 5 ohms (giving a voltage drop of 6 V on the bulbs and 6 V on the switching box), but 5 and 10 ohms, or 1:2. So the switching box now sees 4 V voltage drop across it and the remaining bulb sees 8 V. And now let's discuss the various cases.

In a bimetallic system, since the voltage drop across the bimetallic switch is reduced, the power draw of the bimetallic switch is also reduced, and heating is proportional to the power draw. So the switch heats up slower and takes longer to cycle. The frequency is reduced.

In an oscillating circuit, the oscillation quality has to be assessed in context of the whole circuit, not just the inductor-capacitor array, and the change behavior is dependent on whether the switching circuit is parallel or in series to the bulb circuit. In a circuit designed to increase frequency when a bulb goes out (it's safer this way, because with decreasing frequency systems, aged wiring could catch fire from the long heating phases - sometimes, the circuit remained permanently stuck and the dash could catch on fire), the oscillating qualities of the circuit contain a damping factor in which the total circuit resistance appears in the denominator. Increasing the resistance reduces damping, and the circuit cycles faster between the "on" and "off" states.
>>
>>20820163
Are you ... Do... What... Is this bait?
>>
>>20820128
Just remember this simple rule:
Use amps (current) ((le flow)) (((Kirchhoff I ))) for series circuits, and volts (voltage drop) ((le pressure difference) (((Kirchhoff II ))) for parallel circuits,
and most electric supplies behave like a water tower
>>
>>20816951
forreal that looks like a fucking tranny
>>
File: 5663236534.jpg (67 KB, 1280x720)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>20816047
>>
>>20822045
Yeah, i was quoting him. And the battery cable goes right to starter so fuck everyone.
>>
>>20822181
You're still wrong. The lights and radio going out when you start the car is a design feature. OLD CARS didn't have this feature (but they didn't have self-activating lights and permanently-running electronics either) and if you turned on the headlights and then started the car, they would dim and gently flicker for the duration of the starting. They won't even come close to turning off completely.
>>
>>20816047
>Same with a fast blinking turn signal when one is burned out. It takes double amps not a design feature.
You're an idiot, it's literally intentional to indicate a bulb is fucked

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.