[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: manual.jpg (73 KB, 750x400)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
i absolutely hate driving stick shift.
i don't feel more connected to the road, quite the opposite actually.

it feels like im operating somekind of steampunk machine instead of a car. i know that sounds weird but i like the gas/brakes combination alot better because i can focus on the road more
>>
t. Zoomer
>>
I like driving stick but not all the time. I daily an automatic but I’m saving up for a project car with a manual so I can still have some stick time. I had manuals for my first three cars but they were shitboxes with no vroom so the next manny I get better have a v8
>>
t. 17 yo zoomer who only drove his driving instructors car

stick shift is c h a d
>>
>>20388023
I bet you forget to breathe if you dont pay attention too retard
>>
>>20388023
Hey man, I get it. Homosexuals need to drive too. You guys deserve all the same rights as actual men. I support your life choice. I hope you and your husband have a wonderful prosperous life full of automatically shifting as soon as the engine hits 3k rpm. And that's ok. Be proud.
>>
>>20388047
no i just rather not have a big goofy dick i have to handle when im in a serious traffic situation.
>>
>>20388066
you can do it, from your posts i conclude that you'd be an excellent dick-handler
>>
>>20388052
lol my 2004 ford focus shifts at 5k rpm
>>
>>20388086
You drive a Ford focus.
>>
>>20388066
bet you type with one finger looking at keyboard with that big brain of yours
>>
>>20388028
>>20388046
>>20388047
>>20388052
t. bus rider larpers who found out about Initial D last week and pretend MUH STANDARD YO applies to 95% of the population that has to work and drive in city traffic
>>
File: 1379650042880.gif (1.04 MB, 290x189)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB GIF
>>20388102
>getting this mad people think hes fucking retarded after spending time telling everyone how retarded they are
at least bus rider initial d larpers can drive stick and not complain how their little girl arms get tired and brain gets overburdened
>>
File: reeeeeeeeeeee.jpg (30 KB, 311x362)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>20388125
I'm not op. I can drive stick, and own a car that is but my daily is an automatic. It's also just a meme in the US. It's people that have not many friends and want to be "that cool car guy" at work to people that have no clue about cars.

When I lived in Europe, everyone drives manual, male and females, and way better than most guys in the US I've seen. No one there is obsessed with them like Americans.

The more control is another played out meme. What about a lexus is350 that lets you select the gear? How do you have more control? Go drive an 80s Ferrari and you'll see what a real car feels like to drive. These cars you idiots always talk about buying, the family sedan focus ST (wow, what a race car lmao) can be operated with one finger on the steering wheel and one finger on the shifter. That's how light they've made it all these days. But the people that drive these think they're real drivers and are into the experience, need the control, and somehow are better than the person next to them in traffic driving the automatic in traffic.
>>
>>20388102
I don't even know what that even means. Try insulting me better. It's not working.
>>
File: 1328381612038.png (860 KB, 800x800)
860 KB
860 KB PNG
>>20388143
maybe if you werent so insecure you wouldnt be salty
>>
>>20388125
never said anything about muh car feels or arms tired

DDing a standard car on stop and go traffic in the city is absolutely retarded yet the larpers claim HURRR DURR STANDARD BETTER

The same larpers claim that AT trucks are shit and muh superior standard truck even though an actual working truck driven by an actual trademan would call the notion retarded. It's a fucking work truck, not a fucking Trueno, I am tired from working that day, all I want is go home, fuck your LARPER gatekeeping and Initial D memes

Manuel is fun for the weekend toy and for places with big, open roads aka flyover states. It's absolutely stupid for DD and work
>>
>>20388143
>tfw anon makes you realize that being in control is not about being able to regulate clutch grip with your input and therefore controlling the engine power delivery to the wheels
>no, being in control is all about how hard it is to change a gear because it's hard in old ferraris
i have been enlightened
>>
File: 1469467861913.jpg (15 KB, 540x208)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>20388160
>never said anything about muh car feels or arms tired
>DDing a standard car on stop and go traffic in the city is absolutely retarded
>am tired from working that day, all I want is go home, fuck your LARPER gatekeeping and Initial D memes
>>
>>20388189
fine then, point still stands
nobody who uses their truck for actual work wants to be shifting through gears
>>
Vagina isn't for everybody either. You go you homegirl. And don't forget to put the big eyelashes on front of your vw beetle.
>>
>>20388023
I like DCT more than stick
>>
>>20388160
>DDing a standard car on stop and go traffic in the city is absolutely retarded
How did this fucking argument gain so much traction? After you've driven a car for a couple of days, stopping and going becomes basically automatic anyway thanks to muscle memory. In fact, it's probably better to have a manual in traffic because letting go of the brake pedal won't make you immediately take off into the car in front. I genuinely don't know how you colony-dwellers put up with automatic transmissions. They're meant for women and the disabled.
>>
File: 1527955722274.jpg (519 KB, 1280x1079)
519 KB
519 KB JPG
>>20388066
>serious traffic situation
>>
>>20388269
>letting go of the brake pedal won't make you immediately take off into the car in front
instead you will immediately slam into the car behind you if you're on an incline in a manual, great argument that shows your immense brain capacity
>>
>>20388482
Or you could apply the handbrake like you're taught to do in civilised countries.
>>
>>20388482
Cars with standard transmissions come with something called a "handbrake" which can prevent this situation.
>>
File: 1535906938630.jpg (149 KB, 525x808)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>20388023
Meh, good on you OP. I have both
>>
>>20388484
>>20388486
automatic transmissions come with something called "P" as well to prevent
>letting go of the brake pedal won't make you immediately take off into the car in front

that's besides the point though, as the point was to show how stupid that argument was with an equally stupid argument.
>>
>>20388023

Anything with a zero to sixty in 5.0sec or longer is slow as shit and shouldn't be considered performance anything.
>>
>>20388269
He's just a retard that can't handle having to use both his feet for a small commute.
>>
situations where normies prefer auto:
>traffic
>parking/manoeuvring
>towing
>drag racing
>highway cruising

Situations where normies prefer manual
>canYON carving and TOEgay BRO
>track day
>muh weekend sports car

I prefer the exact opposite
>manual for traffic, because you can just clutch-out roll, and stay in a specific gear for a traffic speed. You don’t need to look down to know what gear you are in
>manual for parking and manoeuvring, clutch is more precise than torque converter
>manual for towing, see above
>manual for drag racing, it’s one of the only situations where you get to really enjoy smashing the gears without immediately having to be transitioning
>manual for cruising, just chuck it in 6th?
>auto for twisty roads, especially if it’s a road I don’t know, much easier to identify the speed of a corner and then flip the downshift paddle and have the car do it for you instantly, much more relaxing and confidence inspiring. Also I can’t heel toe
>auto for track day because I’m a benchracer and would want to be the fastest. But really less chance of money shifting, melting your clutch, and far easier to keep up with the more experienced drivers
>weekend sports car could really be either, I have a manual one and an auto one and I like them both
>>
You know why I drive an automatic? Because if I need to drive and shoot at people, or I need to drive and drink a beer, I will want a God damned extra fucking hand available

Humvees are automatic for a reason and that's because when you're doing actual hard shit you aren't interested in a pissing contest of how much you can pretend to enjoy thrusting a phallic shaped device back and fourth
>>
>>20388839

You can still shoot people with a manual, just look at Quantum of Solace car chase scene lol. And humvees are auto because crayon eaters are too stupid to know how to use a clutch like alk the people that defend autos.
>>
>>20388985
I'm a man of efficiency and effectiveness and I need to have a spare hand as often as absolutely possible
>>
>>20389016
There is nothing more unnecessary than manually shifting a gear it is more necessary to suck your own father's dick
>>
>>20388837
Underrated post, this guy is englightened.
Other than towing I totally agree with this. I don't like the feel of burning extra clutch to get a heavy payload moving. That and offroading with a manual for the same reason. Too much clutch burning
>>
>>20389045
Does it bother me that people make poor engineering choices on purpose? Yes. It should make everybody mad that a manual transmission was ever thought of as a good idea.
>>
>>20388800
>>20388269
>hurr durrr 10mph traffic and a red light every 20 seconds hurrr
>who needs knees anyway?
manuel faggots are the worst cancer in /o/
>>
>>20388985
It actually has more to do with combat; the military still uses stick shifts for many of the BIG trucks.

Since you like movies, have you ever seen Black Hawk Down?

That part where the driver is blinded and the guy riding shotgun is trying to stem the bleeding on his neck while steering for the driver and yelling "keep your foot on the gas". That kind of shit is why combat vehicles are automatics.
>>
>>20389016
>he only owns one car
I have both auto and manuals. I'd never take an manual for anything other that beating on it in the twisty roads. Those that use manuals as a daily are sad poorfags.
>>
>>20389146

>Have you seen Black Hawk Down?

Who hasn't? lol. Yeah, that does make sense, actually and is a valid point, for combat when you fumbling with your Sub2K or CC piece to ventilate some left lane hogger but your average /o/tist that defends auto trans is no-guns and would never get into combat besides a shouting match with their mums, they only drive auto because they can't drive manual and cope.
>>
File: 2huauto.png (696 KB, 1200x800)
696 KB
696 KB PNG
>>20388143
this is a lie - german here

People WILL laugh at you, talk behind your back and call you a little girl if you go out of your way to buy an automatic here, this is pretty common for younger people (18-35yo). You can bet your ass that you will get bullied if you have atleast friends that are somewhat "into cars".
>>
>>20389233
>this is what busriders and benchracers actually believe
>>
>>20388269
argument happened when the AT kids stopped pretending they owned MTs.
>>
Why do people act like you have to shift every second in a manual?
>>
File: camry.jpg (46 KB, 1024x402)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>20388023
Low profile tires are retarded. It doesn't help that new cars keep coming with wheels that look more and more donk like.
>>
>>20388837
I agree.

>>20389233

It was this way in the US until around the time SMG dropped in the M3 and DCT dropped in VAG. Then the faster and more fuel efficient arguments stopped working.

The US traffic situation is not like Germany at all. The US doesn’t have small towns all over from medieval farming communities. It has urban areas and suburban residential zones. All that leads to massive congestion on commutes and big slow downs. Auto is pretty good at 6 AM and 45 mins of stop and go.

Lastly bad knees from all the fucking McDonald’s Here
>>
>>20389359
Even doing it once is a complete and utter slap in the face to the God that made us and gave us a brain.
>>
>>20389121
In a road car, the clutch pedal is nearly always lighter than the brake pedal. Funnily enough, this is the another bullshit argument made by American kids. Now all you need to say is that DCTs shift faster and you'll have spouted the busrider holy trinity.
>>
>>20389359
You have to understand that a lot of people in the USA have genuinely never encountered a manual vehicle outside of seeing them in films.
>>
>>20389407
With our state of the art clutch by wire and brake by wire systems all pedals are fatigue free™ ;)
also, yes that smell is normal and no, it isn't covered under warranty.
>>
>>20388487
imagine being so bootyblasted over manual transmissions that you took the time to write all of that lmao
>>
>>20389396
>The US doesn’t have small towns all over from medieval farming communities. It has urban areas and suburban residential zones

Do people overseas really believe that germany is just an accumulation of small villages, with all of it's people wearing Lederhosen and Dirndl's every day and driving their BMWs and Benzes to their barn to milk the cows and feed the pigs?

No shit man, we have high density urban areas and suburban residential zones aswell, pushing similiar population density numbers like Boston or Chicago on the urban parts.
>>
>>20389515
If your country is the size of a state your opinion = disregarded

K
>>
>>20388837
>manual for drag racing
>auto for track day because I want to be the fastest

just wow
>>
>>20389396
>The US doesn’t have small towns all over from medieval farming communities.
>US
>no small towns from farming days
nice bait (bro)
>>
File: 1510163808059.jpg (7 KB, 271x186)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>20389456
fuck off they are actually going to do this now god dammit
>>
>>20388269

I've got a manual 2zzge corolla, and I spend about 45min-hour in stop-go traffic every day. It's not engaging, it's not fun, there's no extra control over the vehical when you're just rolling in first and second gears, it's just boring. And then traffic breaks and you end up sitting in 6th for the rest of the trip.
>>
>>20389575
Not like Germany at all mate. Farms here are on their own land. You drive through our country side it’s fame house and farmhouse all fat apart. In Germany you build your house in the small town and walked out to the farms everyday.

The result is vastly different traffic patterns
>>
>>20389407

My clutch is 5x heavier than the brake.
>>
>>20389657

Based and 2ZZ pilled, did you replace your lift bolts yet?

>And the traffic breaks.

And then you shift at 8200RPM and stay in lift above 6K while dabbing on autotragic homos.
>>
>>20388085
>>20388097
>>20388455
Lay off, women aren't good at assessing complex situations.
>>
>>20389657
No car is engaging in heavy traffic. The difference is that a standard transmission car /can/ be engaging on some roads.
>>
>>20389528
Read the rest of that paragraph
>>
>>20389822
well I mean you haven't TRULY driven a manual unless you have money shifted once before. ONLY ONCE
>>
>>20389495
imagine driving a fwd celica lmao
>>
>>20389939
I've driven only manual cars for 17 years but TIL that I haven't TRULY driven them.
>>
>>20390189
>I've driven only manual cars for 17
Sorry for your loss.
>>
>>20390189
See? Exactly. Most people will just never get to experience that true sense of control and physical connection that can only be experienced by a properly executed money shift.
>>
>>20388102
asshurt because anon cant drive stick
>>
I want you all to sit and think for a second and realize there's totally no justification at all for ANY machine ever created by man to require you to make 3 timed movements all together. That is absurd. That is the worst idea to ever be an idea. A curse of the Earth. Putting cocaine in the ghetto is a better idea than that absolutely brainless mechanism. Fuck manuals.
>>
>>20390448
Planes
Guitars
Sewing machines
Bolt-action rifles
>>
>>20390469
1) the pre-requisite for sucking major ass is THREE timed movements all at the same time
2) while being a machine

None of what you listed meets the criteria. If something is mechanical, it should never require a human to do some juggling bullshit.
>>
manual is for low intel sub class wagies patrician auto all the way
>>
Depends on the car entirely.
Plenty of cars out there, especially these days, that are loads better with an auto.
>>
>>20390448
I'm a drummer faggot. lol. And I play guitar with effects pedals. Just because you're too stupid to walk and chew gum at the same time doesn't mean there's something wrong with the best cars in the world. And you know what else? While I drive my manual transmission, I play with all the infotainment buttons, and i fuck around on my phone, and my gps.
>>
if you dont know how to do something well then you cannot judge if its good or not, all you can say is it requires a larger investment than you've given it.
>>
>>20388204
Lol wrong
>>
>>20390904
stop being a fucking retard and pay attention to the road
>>
>>20389737
Well you got the fat part right
>>
the only reason to buy the manual transmission option on a model year above 1994 is if it's cheaper than an automatic.
>>
>>20392513
if you want to drive for work, then you must drive a manual. commercial cars are mostly manual
>>
Manual purists are simply masochists. There's a reason they are half the price of autos. There's a reason they aren't being made anymore.

When I have enough money I MIGHT buy a manual weekend car. If I was rich enough I would and that would be the only purpose of having one.
>>
>>20388066
>serious traffic situation
>>
>>20389233
100% true if you buy a corsa automatic vs the manual. But if you buy a bmw 4 series in auto no one will care.
>>
>>20388839
Humvees are automatic because it gives them more ground clearance.
>>
>>20388774
I think you'd need under 5 secs to be considered fast/performance, but anything under 6.5 is quick enough to be sporty especially in a car that handles well.
>>
>>20388023
>doesn't like manuals
>tells /o/

The fuck were you thinking?
>>
>>20388023
So many insufferable people in this thread. No wonder ""car enthusiasts""" are seen as pricks
>>
>>20388023
Bait or millenial
>>
>>20392806
Lol bro semi trucks are automatic these days have you been to Craigslist lately
>>
>>20390904
Hey you absolute retard you miss the point again. This is MACHINE. It is not a drum set. The entire purpose of machine ever being a machine in the first place is to keep people from doing multiple bullshit things constantly. Manuals are a total regression of the entire purpose of machinery.
>>
>>20390881
Fight me irl

Also I'm a better driver than you

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.