[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: electric car battery.jpg (53 KB, 640x455)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
The age of the electric car has begun.
>>
>>20232446
Litium will run out before most people can even get electric cars.
>>
Whats the current most energy dense and environmental friendly battery tech
>>
>>20232446
>implying anyone with a soul will buy an rc car
>>
>>20232446
only in california

>>20232455
no it won't, stop spreading lies
>>
Electric cars have been around since the early 20th century. They're still a gimmick.
>>
>>20232455
Lithium resources will last far longer than oil, and unlike exhaust gases batteries can be recycled.
>>
>>20232519
>oil is limited meme
Lmao opinion discarded. Shit is made every day and replenishes itself
>>
>>20232446

[Citation needed]
>>
>>20232524
Giving you the benefit of doubt because no one can actually be this retarded.
>>
>>20232446
A day may come when the compression of ls:es fails, when we lose our oil pressure and break all bearings. But it is not this day. An hour of lithium and shattered transmissions when the age of Internal Combustion Engines comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we hoon!
>>
>>20232477
yes it will, there's a shit ton of more oil than lithium. if we were to continue to produce ICE vehicles (which we should) along with EVs, oil supply would EASILY out live lithium
>>
>>20232530
Are you? "Barren" fields get replenished all the time.
>>
>>20232535
No, it just won't. They're already having to squeeze it out of sand.
>>
>>20232539
Wrong, technology just gets better to make getting the last few drops out of an almost depleted and previously abandoned source economically viable. But there comes a point when it's as dry as it can get.
>>
>>20232543
Canada got btfo by fracking. Do a single bit of research retard. Those fields aren't viable anymore due to cost.

>oil runs out
Ok that means literally everything stops anyway. Everything is dependent on oil. Even your phone. You literally can't manufacture anything using modern techniques without it.
>>
>>20232553
No youre wrong. Literally been a known phenomenon for decades.
https://www.nytimes.com/1995/09/26/science/geochemist-says-oil-fieldsmay-be-refilled-naturally.html

Eagerly awaiting your peer reviewed article on oil not being synthesized in conditions similar to how we make it artificially though.
>>
>>20232559
Synthetic motor oils are already a thing. Applications that can't survive otherwise will shift to synthetic rubbers and plastics. In other cases alternatives will be developed to market readiness. Consumer products will have to be manufactured for longevity instead of quantity. Big fucking deal.

Either way repeating "everything is dependent on oil" won't make more oil appear in the ground.
>>
>>20232587
>1995
>one guy says it
You know, a couple "scientists" also say that smoking doesn't cause lung cancer, and that humans have no effect on the climate. No matter the statement, you'll always find at least one "scientist" who supports it.
>>
>>20232587
did you even read the article you linked holy fuck you're stupid
>>
>>20232601
>One guy
Lmao you're ignorant of the subject aren't you. We knew that from when you said Canadian sand garbage was a source in 2019.

Petroleum is being made right now via a variety of methods. Do you have evidence of it not being made?
>>
>>20232617
>y-you're ignorant
good counterpoint, dumbass
>>
>>20232617
Where's your evidence of it being made? I'm not the one making these fringe statements.
>>
>>20232462
Its a bit too late to think of the environment. Humanity has gone into the final stages of a deadly downwards spiral where the need for luxury posessions only to boost personal appearance, it will almost certainly end in a tragic way for itself. Do you think anyone cares about anything? Todays reptiles will sign their first born over to the devil to become wealthier, while making god damn sure that they have the flashy stuff to also show it off. Environment...its on the background as home screen on the latest Galaxies. CGI of course, real location has dead fish floating in thick oily lake.
We have gone too far.
That said most energy dense is Li-po.
I suppose its a bit friendlier than cadmium.
>>
>>20232617
>do you have evidence of it not being made
How could someone even begin to think this is a good argument to make.
>>
>>20232624
>>20232622
Are you implying that decaying matter isn't being made right now? Where do you think oil comes from then retard?
>>
>>20232644
are you being serious right now? do you even know what you're talking about?
>>
>>20232644
It is being made, but not even remotely at a rate that would replenish supply, considering the stuff we're taking about 150 years to use up took 150 million years to accumulate.
>>
>>20232650
>i...it's being replenished just n...nit as fast as you say
>earth being over 6k years old at most
Holy shit get an education and turn off CNN.
>>
>>20232644
>decaying biomass turns into oil overnight
holy shit you're not pretending to be retarded, you genuinely are
>>
>>20232662
>oil is being replenished faster than we're using it
go back to school you gigantic retard
>>
>>20232662
>earth being over 6k years old at most
You just decided to start baiting without even trying to sound reasonable, didn't you?
>>
Someone want to explain to me why Teslas don't have solar panels built into the roofs?

Yeah, I know it's not enough to power the car on its own, but it's literally free energy.
>>
File: 1498244185660.jpg (208 KB, 1000x1000)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>20232662
Alright guys, it's bait, stop replying.
>>
>>20232690
Because it's idiotic and the cost of installing those would be higher than lifetime savings from energy generated
>>
>>20232690
because of the fucking cost vs return

how the fuck is it not obvious that it would drive up tesla cost even more when they are trying to make affordable EV cars to compete with ICE
>>
>>20232535
Oil gets used. It's Co2.
Lithium gets used, it gets recycled.
>>
File: geology kids book.jpg (38 KB, 306x400)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>20232524
I think you should read this.
>>
>>20232446
I bet you live somewhere that's not capable of producing their own electricity.
>>
>>20232736
Oil gets recycled too, what the fuck kind of statement
>>
>>20232758
>Oil gets recycled
It literally doesn't, what the actual fuck are you talking about
>>
>>20232771
Well maybe it turns into plants which get buried and so in 30 million years when Intelligent Rats have inherited the earth then it will be Oil again for their Ratcars.
>>
>>20232446
Call me when they won't need fuckhuge pigfat battery like in your pic related to have decent range.
>>
>>20232793
you mean [spoiler]ratrods[/spoiler]
>>
>>20232771
it's a literal google search away
>>
>>20232519
>batteries can be recycled.
>yet they still are mostly disposed of.
>>
>>20232793
>>
>>20232524
>Shit is made every day
more like every few million years retard
>>
>>20232446
Only when an electric car can be fully charged in the time it takes to pump a gas tank full. Till then, no road trips for you
>>
>>20233021
>go to charging station
>drop-n-swap battery packs
>fueled in less than 10 seconds
>even faster than gassing up
>>
>>20233051
>drop n swap
For sure some asshole is fuck this up for everybody.
>>
>>20232667
>>20232670
>>20232681
>>20232691
>>20233017
>oil just spontaneously appears @ x million years from now
Aside from the old earth meme you're literally retarded and don't understand how chemical reactions work.
>>
File: vO7lRZ7.png (56 KB, 621x702)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
>>20233098
>Aside from the old earth meme you're literally retarded and don't understand how chemical reactions work.
>>
imagine shilling for eletric cars but you're 110 years late and the ICE has already won
>>
>>20232625
>too late for enviorment
okay retard (^:
>>
>>20232625
>>>/pol/
>>
>>20233146
>dumb wojak meme
Nice Argument.
>>20233150
This lmao. Even IF we handwave the logistics of legacy ICE systems, completely replace every gas station with chargers, AND go full nuke for power it'd still be completely BTFO by a shit grid that'll never be capable of transferring the energy.

Shit CA has blackouts all the fucking time due to demand already and they're one of the richest states. Imagine some shithole like IL.

Turns out petroleum is a superior form of energy storage. Electric cars are a meme for detached zoomers who think electricity just happens when they plug in their iphone lmao.
>>
>>20233205
yeah your pretty much objetivley wrong
>>
>>20233224
>objectively wrong
ok retard, defend yourself
>>
>>20232524
>>20233098
Oil if finite if you can extract it faster than it has a chance to form.

>don't understand how chemical reactions work
Why don't you explain it to us then?
>>
I refuse to buy electric
t. Arizona
>>
>>20233224
>California can't keep up with the demands of airconditioners running
>The grid is good enough for every vehicle on the road to get charged each night
Prove it.

Never did get why psuedo intellectuals got so butthurt about being told they're retarded. It'd be like some steamfag saying their car was suitable for modern transit because water and wood are renewable lmao.
>>
He's not going to explain it.

Thinks he knows everything and leaves the thread after making a dick out of himself.
>>
>>20233254
>Reactions just end up at Tf bro!
Even the basics of equilibrium are too advanced for you.
>>
>>20233263
>extract it faster than it has a chance to form
Fish just stop breeding after being fished bro!
>>
>>20233254
hes probaly talking about how they can make oil out of coal liek the nazis did back in the day
>>
>>20233269
>an uncited statement based on ignorance not relevant to the fact you admit: oil is being made, right now.
Hows the Hogwarts academy nationwide electrical grid coming Teslafag?
>>
>>20233276
That doesn't dismiss the issue that even coal is finite when you use it faster than it can be formed.

>>20233278
I hate Tesla.
Stay on topic.
Still waiting for you to educate us since you know so much.
>>
>>20233283
>n.....no prove the production of oil isn't spontaneous
You're too ignorant to teach. You can't even see the logical fallacy in claiming something takes millions of years to form while claiming it's instantaneous at the point in time. Guess you think it magically just appeared x millions of years ago chump.

Lmao cope more.
>>
File: 1397231039097.jpg (13 KB, 363x364)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>20232455
>he doesn't know batteries are mostly nickle and graphite now, and lithium is more of a seasoning.

Seriously you guys need an update.
>>
>>20233311
You're avoiding explaining anything.
If you don't actually know then just say it.
You're anonymous for Christ's sake.
Quit picking apart posts like you're some kind of intellectual at a high school debate.

I'm still here for whenever you feel like educating me instead of just simply telling me that I'm too dimwitted to understand.
>>
>>20232462
there are many different kinds of lithium battery
with the differences being mostly discharge rate and energy density
also some small differences in flammability and retention of charge
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/types_of_lithium_ion
>>
>>20233311
You remind of the flat earth guy that Art Bell debated with some NASA scientist, and instead of explaining why the Earth was flat he just chuckled at everything Art Bell's guest said and would just argue "Well you're just too indoctrinated to understand. There's no point in explaining. Hahaha."
>>
>>20233327
I already did explain it. You ignored it and moved the goalpost to saying it didn't matter because consumption outstripped availability. This is also a fallacy as it implies we've found all useable oil sources and that we know the rate of replenishment. This is incorrect as noted by massive oil fields being discovered every few years and technology making fields that were not considered in the count due to unprofitably now viable.

You're the retard here lmao. It's like finding a model T and then claiming every car is 100 years old because that one was. Truth is petroleum varies dramatically and what might take X years in one area will take Y to form elsewhere.

You're clearly unfamiliar with even the basics of differing oil types.
>>
>>20232491
So were mobile phones, computers and Email. Now they're almost all encompassing
>>
You know they were saying that about driverless cars and people now are backing off saying due to random conditions true driverless cars are still decades away.
>>
>>20232531
I dread the day this will happen in our lifetime. Peace be with you
>>
File: 1508249106824.png (85 KB, 580x624)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
>>20233357
Who do you sue when an AI crashes into you?
>>
>>20233355
the pet rock was a gimmick and it's dead now. What's your point
>>
File: 1463946616504.png (585 KB, 806x571)
585 KB
585 KB PNG
>>20233383
A pet rock, though another great multi-purpose tool, is just a rock friend. I'm pretty sure people have already tried to redo the same idea: with tamagachi's being a good example. That can easily be adapted for phone use, as a handheld computer smart phones are very versatile.
>>
>>20233354
He was right, sheep. hahaha
>>
>>20232587
Technically speaking petroleum is replenishing. Just not on a Human time scale viable for Human consumption. Earth time scale its pretty quick I guess. Maybe if Humans are still around in ten million years they can get some more petroleum.
>>
File: EV Drag Car.jpg (69 KB, 640x426)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>20232446
In all honesty if Toyota gets the solid state batteries figured out like they say they will EV's will be amazing.

The shitty part is it's inevitable that electricity used by EVs will have a special tax and they'll start requiring inspections when motor sports starts making these EV cars crazy fast. Its going to be stupid easy to build a high preforming EV and with a flick of a switch act like a normal car.

https://youtu.be/lQkdMw4TVjY
>>
>>20233902
this guy's got it
get ready for the next level of sleepers. No flashing of maps, it's just a series of integers between a docile little put put and a fucking tire killing god

although it'd be tricky to tax since you can't exactly track electrons.
>>
>>20234400
although i should have said track where electrons GO.
you can track the current draw but not what it's going to
>oh uh yeah i turn my dryer, oven, all my lights, and my heated pool on full blast every day when i get home from work
>no i barely drive my car it doesn't charge for shit
>>
>>20232596
1) synthetic oil is mostly still based on crude oil, its just more refined

2) synthetic plastics/rubbers will cause more environmental damage than regular ones and are unnecessary as oil is pretty much unlimited to the point where OPEC has to slow down discovery and extraction to keep its price up. we will not run out of oil for hundreds of years.
>>
>>20234651
that's mostly due to lower demand, not higher supply, although fracking did help somewhat.

either way, can't exactly hand wave away the bigger issue of climate change. Or, you could, but you'd totally invalidate your entire argument by doing so
>>
>>20232491
Batteries have advanced. Times have changed.
>>
>>20232455
it must suck being that retarded
>>
>>20232530
yikes hes actually brain dead
>>
>>20234400
I imagine they'll tax the power being pulled on EV charging stations.
>>
>>20235082
I guarantee it once it catches on
>>
>falling for big lithium
>>
>>20232519
Exhaust gas is recycled in a turbo tho...
>>
>>20233098
I see you're a retard as well
>>
File: 1535161383773.jpg (26 KB, 328x466)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>20234651
>OPEC has to slow down discovery
GUYS OIL ISN'T RUNNING OUT, WE'RE INTENTIONALLY NOT DISCOVERING IT TO KEEP THE PRICE UP
>>
>>20232625
woke
>>
File: largepreview.png (139 KB, 850x1203)
139 KB
139 KB PNG
>>20232524
This. Oil is abiotic.
>>20232530
>2018
>believes in the fossil fuel origin hypothesis
>yeah dude, all these animals and plants died in one spot and provide untold trillions of gallons, I don't like to think about the logistics of it or how the theory is incredibly flawed, but hey, DUDE, nature!!!! fossil fuels!
>>20232750
It's obvious you gained your knowledge about oil from a "Rock and Mineral" book for children.
If you would have kept reading about the elements and extraordinary pressure within earth's mantel, and understood chemistry, you would have seen how such conditions could give rise to the production of hydrocarbons.
>>20233017
>it takes millions of years
t. Fossil Fuel hypothesis believing brainlet.
>>20233254
It does not form as the result of the degradation of biomatter after the passing of untold millions of years, which is a laughable theory because if you sample even recent dense areas of forest, you won't find that much biomatter. To think it compounds and works its way into vast reserves over millions of years is a crackpot simpleton theory.
>>
>>20235414
That's a lot of effort put into a bait post
>>
>>20235414
>recent dense areas of forest
soil*
>>
>>20235415
>i-I never heard of it so it must be bait
If people knew oil was not as scarce of a resource as it is made out to be, its value would be far less.
>>
File: oil well.jpg (74 KB, 534x634)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>
>>20235418
I hope you're only pretending to be retarded
>>
>>20233373
the company
>>
File: abiotic oil.png (108 KB, 850x1290)
108 KB
108 KB PNG
>>20235424
All of your posts are an attempt to attack the person and not the arguments presented.
>this must be bait
>I hope you're only pretended to be retarded
This is because you do not have any arguments.
The fossil fuel hypothesis increasingly becoming obsolete and is unsatisfactory in explaining the hyperabundance of oil and the reserves far exceeding their lifetime estimate.
>>
>>20235449
>this is because you do not have any arguments
no, it's because your "arguments" are pants on head retarded
>>
>>20235449
>hyperabundance of oil
Where ?
>>
>there are people in the world that actually think oil is being formed faster than we're using it
And those people frequent this board
>>
>>20235460
You're still resorting to ad hominem.
All I've done was state that oil is abiotically generated. You're like an NPC that cannot even consider the information. "CONDITION = FALSE, RESORT TO NAME CALLING!"
This is an active area of research, with hundreds of researchers in peer reviewed papers hypothesizing and testing its validity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenic_petroleum_origin
>>20235463
Deep in the ground where oil wells do not run out. You are appealing to the geographicality of it rather than the quantity of it.
>>20235479
And it was estimated to start running out (globally) around 2012.
This is why you don't hear much about "muh peak oil" anymore because they realized the predictions for it were bullshit because they entirely banked on it being a limited resource that was from eons of accumulated biomatter concentrated at given points.
>>
>>20235518
The reason nobody is refuting your arguments is because there's a mountain of evidence against what you're saying.

Nobody wants to waste their time arguing with the auto-related equivalent of an anti-vaxxer.
>>
>>20235535
A mountain of evidence that you take for granted and assume has countered this hypothesis. It largely hasn't.
>Nobody wants to waste their time arguing with the auto-related equivalent of an anti-vaxxer.
Nice straw man.
This isn't anti-vaxxer tier. The ACA and among other top tier publishers are admitting and publishing articles pertaining to abiotic. You're willfully ignorant.
>>
>>20235553
>a mountain of evidence that you take for granted and assume has countered this hypothesis. It largely hasn't
And where's the proof of this?

>the ACA and among other top tier publishers are admitting and publishing articles pertaining to abiotic
And the proof of this too please.

Stop spreading lies.
>>
>>20235565
>>a mountain of evidence that you take for granted and assume has countered this hypothesis. It largely hasn't
>And where's the proof of this?
Your the one who first offered this "mountain of evidence", and now you ask for me to find proof from it? Look at any paper literature on 'fossil fuels'. Seldom do they even consider abiotic questions, largely because they have little to no chemical knowledge and are ignorant that such a process is even possible.
>>the ACA and among other top tier publishers are admitting and publishing articles pertaining to abiotic
>And the proof of this too please.

https://pubs.acs.org/stoken/presspac/presspac/full/10.1021/ef9006017
>>
>>20235589
Did you even read the link you posted?

Alright, you're a troll. I'll admit you had me hooked, but the link gave it away.
>>
>>20235598
Yes. The link demonstrated abiotic hydrocarbon formation of methane which previously was attributed to plant matter.
>>
>>20234736
the ICE has advanced a lot more than batteries in the last 40 years, my mouthbreathing friend.
>>
>>20232462
>Whats the current most energy dense and environmental friendly battery tech

Those answers are what has currently been developed. Is there a way to determine what the best energy density of a battery could be? If you analyzed plant/animal metabolism as if it were a battery, how efficient would that be?
>>
>>20232455
Oil will run out well before lithium does, friend.
>>
>>20235653
Oil doesn't run out, "friend".
>>
>>20235665
https://jalopnik.com/bp-says-the-world-only-has-53-years-of-oil-left-should-1602354842
>>
>>20235674
>BP says
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAH
HAHAHAH
HAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHA

Perceived scarcity = higher prices.
>>
File: press-x-to-doubt.jpg (28 KB, 800x450)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>20235674
>bp-says-the-world-only-has-53-years-of-oil-left
>bp-says
>>
There are an estimated 15 million tonnes (15 billion kgs) of lithium reserves in the world, the 70kwh battery pack in a Tesla contains 63kg of lithium that means there is enough lithium to make just under 240 million Model S cars with the (smallest) 70kwh battery pack this number is if you were to diverted 100% of lithium extraction purely to the production of Tesla's There are currently 263 million register cars in the USA alone. Food for thought... Although Ive heard you can "make" lithium.
>>
>>20235674
Nice peer reviewed article from Jalopnik lmao.

It's obvious you're a libtard science denier from your global warming meme statements.
>>
File: US Navy.jpg (122 KB, 1280x720)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
You're all missing the point. Globalists are pushing to restrict if not ban PRIVATE use of ICE's. This is purely a strategic move. Regardless whether petroleum replenishing or not It guarantees there will be fuel for the armies of the globalist elite for hundreds of years to come if not thousands. People are kidding themselves if they really think this is about saving the world.
>>
>>20235819
t. Alex Jones
If you're worried about that, just buy a Flex Fuel Vehicle and make your own ethanol fuel for it.
>>
>>20232446
personally I really like the idea of fitting classic cars with electric drivetrains. Imagine it being feasible to daily a huge landbarge from the 70's because you no longer have to worry about 5 mpg and a 30 gallon fuel tank. And at the same time, the cars will be more powerful and faster.
Id like to think this will bring new interest to the classic car hobby as people who like to mess with modern tech can blend it with classic styling.
>>
>>20235414
>>20235418
More like you divert and avoid the question while never actually providing facts, or explaining any alternatives to accepted theory.

Bait sure, low quality bait.
>>
>>20232455
Good goy, keep buying into the Ford/GM media slants. Buy bottled water and eat from cardboard boxed foods, too. Good Goy.
>>
>>20235674
The only true thing I believe in that article is that last paragraph stating that it is a finite resource and should invest in alternative energy sources.
>>
>>20232446
How will people mod electric cars? I imagine it will just be like how people mod electric RC cars just scaled up, right? New battery modules, more powerful motors, different windings, new controllers, reflashes, etc?
>>
>>20232559
actually Canada got btfo by having an idiot for a prime minister who doesn't understand that pipelines are more efficient than train cars. We also generally speaking aren't very invested in fracking and you don't use it in the oil sands.
The oil sands use SAGD and are still hugely profitable
t. Alberta engineer
>>
>>20236019
>More like you divert and avoid the question while never actually providing facts,
Nobody posited any questions to begin with. Regardless, I did provide several research papers showing that oil can be abiotically generated.
The only responses I got was meme-tier ad hominems and people unable to consider even for an instance what was written. You are no exception.
>or explaining any alternatives to accepted theory.
But I did explain and offer abiotic origin as an alternative to the fossil fuel hypothesis. If you want me to delineate the proposed mechanisms, I could but it's far inferior to what you would have gotten had you summarily researched it in earnest yourself. The extremely high pressure and temperature of the mantle and certain mineral deposits with organic compounds and stores of carbon itself, give rise to the fischer–tropsch process, enabling the formation of hydrocarbons.
>>
What are ICE's?
>>
File: vehicletohome.jpg (50 KB, 576x298)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>20233205
A populace with a car that can input energy into their home system eliminates the current issue of peak power usage times.
>users dial up the AC during 4-9p to deal with heatwave
>computer talks to utility computer and runs house power from the car's battery
>car charges overnight and keeps constant demand
Blackouts eliminated when enough people have these kinds of setups.
>>
>>20236695
Internal combustion engine
>>
>>20236726
A fuckload of batteries charging all at once will fuck the grid regardless of when you charge them. If you live somewhere with a grid shitty enough to have blackouts then you shouldn't be thinking about EV's at all.
>>
>>20236744
Here is a graph that shows the average hourly energy usage for Florida in Summer and Winter. The trends for Summer are pretty much what you see anywhere in the USA.

As you can see, energy consumption between 1am and 5am is very low. Adding overnight charging would make demand more constant, particularly during these peak times. You'd also fit out officeparks with charging capacity, as many workplaces are already doing.

Let's say we did this so perfectly that the demand line was perfectly flat (Constant demand) but oh no the energy that was once being made by ICE engines is now having to be made entirely by the grid. The grid can't handle it.

You know what would happen? It'd be fine. No one is suggesting putting 50 million electric cards on the road in the next 6 months. Instead year by year the peaks and valleys would get closer and closer to a flat line. Power plants would scale up over time to meet this as they'd have an economic incentive to do this. Smart grids and electrically smart houses would become increasingly prevalent. It's hilariously easy to deal with people trying to charge their car at peak hours by increasing the price during peak hours, dropping it overnight and at their officepark. Toll roads already do this. It's easier with charging as you can give the consumer software tools so they'll be able to buy when the prices are lowest.

Let's not forget that power plants can generate energy way more efficiently than a car's ICE. Not only do power plant turbines approach efficiency levels nearing theoretical limits, they can also run on less refined fossil fuels. Gasoline takes a gargantuan amount of energy to refine.

I don't think ICE will vanish but I think we will move towards cars being a battery with a 60HP ICE generator for long distance capability.
>>
>>20232937
That is a charming little picture
>>
>>20235414
>It does not form as the result of the degradation of biomatter after the passing of untold millions of years, which is a laughable theory because if you sample even recent dense areas of forest, you won't find that much biomatter. To think it compounds and works its way into vast reserves over millions of years is a crackpot simpleton theory.

Leaving aside everything else, can you not understand the idea of geological timescales?
>>
>>20232519
ICEs can run on hydrogen and ethanol which are both renewable
>>
>>20235082
The problem with that is most people would be doing the bulk of their charging at home, and the government can't tell what device is drawing the power. Well, unless people fall for the smart meter non-sense, but that will get pushback once people figure out it is to let the government sneak another tax in.

Personally, I think all the little taxes in our lives - excise, fuel, sales, property, ect should be abolished, and the government funded by a single (well one federal & one state for the US) progressive income tax. That way everyone knows exactly what they paid, the government isn't trying 'social engineer' the population, and most of the tax burden falls on those with the extra cash. The efficiency gains alone for not having to keep track of all the minor taxes would be nice.
>>
>>20236028
What's wrong with food packaged in cardboard?
>>
>>20237624
Do you expect such rambling antisemitic nonsense to make sense?
>>
>>20232491
this
>>20232519
>[citation needed]
>>20232553
youre literally describing diminishing returns on electric batteries retard
>>20233051
>swapping 1200lbs of batteries is more practicla than pumping 100lbs of fuel!!1!
and the least intelligent comment of the year award goes to
>>20233150
lmao nice
>>20233355
yeah but those gimmicks actually took off shortly after being invented because they were actually useful, rather thna being dead for 100 years and then revived for some environmental crusade
>>20236028
>hello fellow goyim!
let me guess youre a vegan nazi too?
>>
>>20232446
Why tho? There's still a fuckton of oil aboout and electric cars are far more harmful to the environment.
>Hurr I care about muh global warmings but I'll charge my car off a network that spews out huge amounts of greenhouse gasses and uses batteries that don't last long and are highly toxic to produce.
>>
>>20238491

>outdated information
>>
>>20238513
Hardly
>>
File: michaelJ.gif (489 KB, 420x315)
489 KB
489 KB GIF
>>20238491
>electric cars are far more harmful to the environment

Here, you put your vehicle in a garage and close the door. Now start your vehicle. I will do the same in my Tesla. We'll start a timer and see which car is less harmful. OK? I am confident the more harmful environmental conditions will be revealed with this experiment. Science!
>>
File: 100_4257.jpg (155 KB, 1288x966)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>20238491
>There's still a fuckton of oil
Which we use a fuckton of every day and year.
EVEN IF oil constantly replenishes within the Earth, we're still going to be pumping it out faster than it has a chance to restore.
EVEN IF we find new oil reserves, we're going to run them dry just as quick.
Millions and billions of barrels of oil being guzzled away like it's never going to run out, every fucking hour, day, month, and year for decades upon decades...

Yes I'm fucking coping because this world will be thrown upside down the moment we realize that it's almost gone and we never came up with reliable energy alternatives.
>>
>>20238782
>owning a tesla
>what is lithium mining
>>
>>20239541
Yeah, do you even know how much oil there is? It's more than you know.
>>
>>20239705
>but there's a lot of it
wow, fantastic argument, I'm sure it'll last us through until we leave this planet
>>
>>20239768
Read the abiotic theory and you'll see how it's not going away. Now that we have alternatives, well never exhaust the supply of oil.
>>
>>20239705
>>20239806
>EVEN IF oil constantly replenishes within the Earth, we're still going to be pumping it out faster than it has a chance to restore.

Also what alternatives?
>>
>>20239816
You didn't read the hypothesis. If the conditions of the mantle are right, hydrocarbons will be produced. Elemental carbon and other organic compounds in various stores of mineral are plentiful. Unless we increase our oil usage, I don't think running out is realistic.
>>
>>20239828
If if if if.....
>>
hydrogen fuel cells are the future, not electric.
>>
>>20239828
>if the conditions of the mantle are right
so you don't even know for sure?
>>
>>20239850
>>20239853
We don't know for sure if the origin of oil is from fossil fuels either. Abiotic makes more sense.
>>
>>20239828
>Elemental carbon and other organic compounds in various stores of mineral are plentiful.
At one point we could have said the same for fish in the sea, wood in the forests and jungles, and now you're naively thinking that plentiful means indefinite.
>Unless we increase our oil usage
Everyday.
So long as more people are born and aging with each day, the increase in usage only goes up.
>I don't think running out is realistic.
It's hard to imagine when we're so spoiled by Earth's resources.
>>
>>20239860
>if the origin of oil is from fossil fuels either
nigga what
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (55 KB, 480x360)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>20236056

Probably like those scooters everyone hates. There's russian firmware than de-restricts electric motor from 250W to 1kW, only need to replace couple of diodes on the hardware side.
>>
File: wut.jpg (28 KB, 600x471)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>20239860
>We don't know for sure if the origin of oil is from fossil fuels either.
>>
>>20239896
We don't.
>>
>>20239904
Are you being serious right now?
>>
>>20239904

Does flat earth have any thickness?
>>
>>20239927
Straw man because it's easily defeated. Flat earth is nonsense. Abiogenic oil is not.
>>
>>20239940
You ever wonder why everyone uses ad hominem and straw men?
>>
>>20239917
I don't buy the theory oil came from dead dinosaur biomass. There is just too damn much of it for that to happen.

People have different theories but honestly I'm Not sure how
>>
>>20239961
>People have different theories but honestly I'm Not sure how
serpentinization of peridotite
>>
>>20239961
>there is just too damn much of it for that to happen
wut, do you know how long the dinosaurs were around for? and how fucking many there were?
>>
>>20239961
Are you retarded? Are you not aware that plants are also organic matter? Do you ACTUALLY think that only the bones of dinosaurs could produce oil?
>>
>>20239852
As soon as we have fusion reactors and an energy abundance and don't need to worry about the energy intensiveness of hydrogen production anymore. But at that point we can also start producing carbohydrate fuel (i.e. synthetic diesel) from atmospheric carbon.
>>
>>20239996
Are you aware microbes and other organisms reutilize it? It doesn't just go into the ground and accumulate.
>>
>>20240025
Sometimes it does, when it's flooded and almost no aerobic breakdown can occur anymore. Then, over long enough time and getting to the right Earth layers through plate tectonics, it may break down into coal or oil depending on pressure and other things. This is literally how science agrees the stuff gets formed, and any other theory is just a what-if fantasy or wishful thinking without scientific merit.
>>
>>20235598
Not the guy, but he basically got you with the link.
Also, HOLY SHIT, we can produce methane by having two molecules of hydrogen fuck some graphite?
AWESOME!
>>
>>20240067
Pretty sure that's the most inefficient possible way to produce methane when bacteria do it literally for free. Do you have any idea how hard it is to produce hydrogen?
>>
>>20240073
I'm rather thinking of possible high-pressure, high-temperature reactions in deep-earth conditions.
>>
>>20240067
>>20240089
It is amazing.
I'm dubious that oil is abiotic but gaseous hydrocarbons it makes total sense. Especially considering they're located near stores of helium.
>>
>>20240089
No I mean split it industrially. Hydrogen loves to react with stuff and is really hard to get it all apart again, very energy intensive. We have the knowledge to split water and we could power hydrogen fuel cells without emissions, but we simply don't have the technology to do it economically or the electricity to do it at such a scale. Some industrial processes use hydrogen, but it's expensive and they only do because they have no other option.
>>
>>20240159
I'm rather thinking that we'll drill down to 40000ft, and inject seawater (if possible, rather than drinking water) into regions where intense tectonic activity is going on. I'm kinda expecting heat to break down the water into vapor and oxidizing reactions to get the water molecules to give their hydrogen atoms over. Inject water, promote methane generation.

On the other hand, methane is an even worse greenhouse gas than co2, no?
>>
>>20240177
Great idea.
>>
>NO ITS ABIOTIC!
>NO ITS BIOGENIC!
Why not both?
There is evidence for both. A hybrid theory of the two makes the most sense.
>>
>>20240213
Either way it'll never replenish faster than the rate we extract it.
>>
>>20238782
this has to be bait. nobody could be this retarded right?
>>
>>20232446
Sure, I don't care as long as they manage to make them strong, convenient and affordable like ICE.

If it's cheaper then better but seriously the battery needs to work properly or you can fuck right off with it.
>>
We can always asteroid mine lithium. We can't asteroid mine lithium. We can make oil from crops, but it is wasteful and ethanol would be cheaper and batteries cheaper so.
>>
>>20240716
>We can always asteroid mine lithium. We can't asteroid mine lithium.
FUCK

Oil, we can't asteroid mine OIL!!!
>>
File: 80201.jpg (67 KB, 640x480)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>20232446
>buying an engine made out of chinese explodium
>not refurbishing an ancient shitbox with a modern ICE engine and getting 50+ MPG
>>
>>20234408
If it becomes that prevalent they'd just submeter the charging outlet. You can infact track where the power goes with submeters but it's not worth it unless they tax it very heavily.
>>
>>20240235
That's debatable. Especially if petrol use declines. Deep wells have been observed to replenish.
>>
>>20240151
>this theory makes total sense!
>ignore the fact that i use the same typing patterns as the poster i'm replying to!
really gets the noggin joggin
>>
>>20232446
yeah nah I don't want to get locked in and burn to death.
I'd rather get a shitbox, car efficiency peaked in the 90s
>>
>>20242125
>car efficiency peaked in the 90s
lmao no, cars peaked in the 90s but car efficiency didn't
>>
>>20240728
space travel is a meme.
>>
>>20242135
yes engines are better now but everything weighs a ton more.
>>
>>20242140
okay grandpa
>>
>>20242154
I'm 23 moron, men will literally never come back from Mars because it's a dead planet of no use whatsoever to humanity
>>
>>20242151
So? Cars are still quicker, faster, more comfy, more reliable and better on fuel than shitboxes from the 90's. Judging from the pictures of the /o/ meetups it seems like people should lose body weight before sperging about shitboxes being 200lbs heavier.
>>
>>20242164
Did you seriously just reply to "okay grandpa" with "I'm 23"? jesus christ go back to facebook
>>
>Tldr version: Jesus freak and magma makes oil guys btfo some EV fags who keep moving goalposts from oil doesnt regenerate to regeneration is less then consumption while not citing and sources beyond Jalopnik
Top kek!
>>
People are only concerned about what they drive when they are bored and have too many choices.
>>
>>20242213
what even is this post
>>
>>20242205
i don't get it
>>
>>20242213
>TL;DRing a thread
>Top kek!
>>
File: lithium.jpg (7 KB, 225x225)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>20232446
Feel free to drive those, OP. I'll stick to fuel.
>>
>>20242223
I'm not surprised
>>
>>20242260
okay. Space travel is still a pointless waste of resources
>>
>>20242264
Is this bait?
>>
>>20235415
Why are there hydrocarbons on every single planet if they're "fossil fuels"?
>>
>>20242303
>https://www.quora.com/How-do-hydrocarbons-form-on-other-planets
Wow dude you completely destroyed his argument. At least google shit before you post.
>>
File: 1543237798474.jpg (8 KB, 250x241)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>20242113
Kill yourself.
>>
>>20242328
>quora.com
Yahoo Questions for intellectual LARPERs.
>>
File: ohasdasd.png (291 KB, 543x531)
291 KB
291 KB PNG
>>20239679
>driving a gas car
>what is the deep water horizon
>what is the gulf war oil spill
>what is Exxon Valdez

we're reaching levels of retardation that shouldn't be possible.
>>
>>20243381
A Tesla still needs a fuckload of fossil fuel just to be manufactured.
>>
What you save I use bucko
>>
File: kicked.jpg (151 KB, 1752x550)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>20243436
So does every car? what is your point here? One car takes some to make, and then depending on the grid energy supply uses zero. The other continues to use the stuff its entire lifetime. My point is limiting the more harful industry which is the oil and gas industry. Your point.......doesn't exist.
>>
>>20243477
If you need to milk mother earth for it to make the car you might as well use it to power it directly instead of converting it 10x. inb4 muh nuuucleer. Only 10% of the world's electricity comes from it.
>>
File: old windmills.jpg (24 KB, 620x412)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
All of you are falling for this garbage. It doesn't matter what we use. It was never about saving the planet. Do you really think they care about strip mining, toxic waste run off, and derelict structures being left everywhere? Do you really think they'll care about batteries being dumped until its "too late". Global warming is a $1.5 trillion industry now.
>>
>>20242509
>you're wrong because you used a site i don't like!
how stupid are you?
>>
>>20243700
>old windmills
>windmills

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.