[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Does anyone here own a B6 1.8T from 2004?

Do you like it? Would you recommend it?
>>
Problems with oil leaks and caked up valves as with most of turbo+di, aluminum chassis parts (control arms) are twice or thrice as expensive as other similar cars.
>>
File: mökkiteiden matelija.jpg (828 KB, 1920x813)
828 KB
828 KB JPG
>>20231440
No but I own one from 2002, what do you wanna know?
>yes I like it
>yes if you're not a retard
>>
File: IMG_20181226_141125.jpg (2.72 MB, 4032x3016)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
>>20231490
How's the gas mileage? How easy is it to replace bad interior trim pieces?

I'm buying one next week (not considering, ACTUALLY going to pull the trigger).

It's got the typical VAG peeling plastics and a broken off cupholder that I plan on restoring.
>>
>>20231440
I drive one, 2.0 n/a, manual, fwd.
>waterpump
The pump wheel will crack and make your car overeheat. Mine almost did.
>oil consumption and leaks
The 1.8 will consume more oil. Also pay attention to the valvecover gasket, it tends to crack and leak oil. Mine did

>>20231550
>mileage
The 1.8 itself gets a worse mileage but quattro and auto add to it.
My 2.0 na gets 7.6L/100 km average, i drive it tame tho. In city traffic it goes up to 9-10L.
Yours will average at about 9L and city might be 12-14L.

Wouldn't recommend your model, has much shit that can and will get expensive to fix.
>>
>>20231550
Can you diy most of stuff? 98% all stuff around engine will be bad and i need or replacment. Owned 2 1.8t audis do not want any more like everything around 200k km needs fixing
>>
>>20231550
Gas mileage is alright, you don't worry about it with these cars, it consumes what it consumes and worrying about that is for dummies.
Very easy. Redid the whole audio system along with wiring and damping in like four afternoons.
>>
>>20231484
It's not direct injection.
>>
Owned that exact car for three years. I have never had so many issues with a car. Mine was 120k miles one owner before me. Turbo, cat, random coolant pipes, crank angle sensor, brake pedal, brake booster, master cylinder, wheel bearing all failed in my time. I couldn't be happier to get rid of it.
>>
>>20231440
Just buy an E46, it will be better in every single way than one of these shitboxes except maybe for rustproofing
>>
>>20233272
these audis rust as hell too
>>
>>20235193
Dad drives a4 b7, i the b6, for many years now, in germany with rain, high humidity n shiet.
No rust so far.
But dad's developed a bit of corrosion on the left front fender...apparently a thing of this model.
Well done audi.
And i just read in a forum that the b6 models from 2004 and up are not fully galvanized anymore.
Yep, that was my first and last vag shit car.
>>
>>20233272
Buy an E46 and deal with

Broken door handle ribbons
failed central locking
broken window regulators
broken sunroof mechanism
cracked subframe
rear coils shearing in half
plastic water pump and expansion tank cracking
broke DISA valve
rear trailing arm bushings
final stage resistor getting burnt by poorly thought out AC ducting
redoing the VANOS system (BMW's perishable VVT)

and once you've fixed all of these "common" problems (read e46fanatics or bimmerforums as the occurrence of these issues plagues literally hundreds of thousands of e46s across all models) you get to deal with fixing the cosmetic shit like

plastic door molding glue peeling off
panel sag from thousands of brittle plastic rivets
interior door card fabric peeling away
headlights fogging up to the point theyre not even functional (you have to use a fucking oven to bake the lens off on younger models)
the door seal trim on the rear door quarter window being an inch away from the rest of the body from the factory

the e46 is probably the biggest blunder car of the 2000s and I believe anyone recommending one is simply suffering from stockholm syndrome or a schadenfreude fetishist
>>
>>20235304
Jesus christ, that shit is insane. Fucking germanistan cars.
>>
>>20235304
>my 500 dollar car wasn't the third reich fine tuned hate machine my fantasies wanted it to be
>>
>>20235363
>defending german cars for the sake of defending something

Yet somehow old celicas or corollas can be had for cheap and have no such issues down the road. Lurk moar and stop pretendign you know shit about cars.
>>
>>20231440
I can only give my opinion on the engine, I drive a golf mk4 gti 1.8t with some simple mods, catback exhaust, intercooler, modded airbox and tune.
I like it, pretty fast (for the city anyway), great gas mileage (8-9l sporty city driving, Autobahn at 200+ kmh is another story) and for the most part reliable.
The engine has its problem zones, for example anything with the vacuum lines. Diverter Valve and MAF often fail on high mileage, first gen coilpacks suck. Mechanical wise it is really reliable.
>>
>>20236114
>>when you don’t look after shit, shit breaks
if you don’t maintain it, a German car will go to shit fast. Usually it’s a domino effect and if one thing isn’t done, it causes other shit to break
>>
>>20236114
The joos fear the samurai
>>
>>20235304
>never heard of that shit before
>actually yes but the key is the issue. If you replace the key it’s all good
>yes very common but incredibly cheap and easy fix
>only read about it on here, doesn’t seem common
>only read about a few cases on online forums
>never seen it happen but read more on online forums

Interior shit:
>never heard of ALL THAT SHIT before

t. owned an E46 and multiple friends own one
>>
>>20235298
Has to do with the painting process, a lot of cars from that era have rust if not taken care of.
>>
>>20236541
Just stop
You should be glad no one wants those pieces of shit, you can have em
>>
2.0 tfsi 147kw - good engine?
>>
File: jm.jpg (46 KB, 600x603)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
I own a B5.5 1.8T 2004 Passat, 116k miles

Basically the same thing right?
>>
>>20236661
Right, minus Quattro, unless it's 4motion.
>>
>>20236646
>tfsi
Stay as far away as possible from this kikery, it is designed to fail.

http://casestudies.atlanticmotorcar.com/audi-engine-oil-consumption-correction/

>>20236432
>i am still defending it with dumb arguments

Just fuck off and buy german trash, also come back to cry here. Lol at you, goy.
>>
>>20236705
It's 4motion
>>
>>20236661
Is that the same 1.8T unit as on the VAG Octavias? I'm considering one but don't know a ton about the motor. Is it reliable enough?
>>
>>20235298
Audi is kinda going backwards with its rustproofing. I dare you to dip your Audi in saltwater and see what happens, Ahmed.

Hint: the body will hold up better than most old cars.
>>
File: Screenshot_15.jpg (10 KB, 178x167)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>20231440
I currently own a B7 2.0T but there's still a shit tonne of similarities with the B6 so it all depends on how much you can work on it / how much money you have to spend. I don't think its worth it unless you can afford the parts and diy and get a manual 1.8T quattro, don't get a fwd because you're overpaying for a VW.

Some of the shit you gotta deal with and thats just scratching the surface:
>oil consumption if the pcv system is fucked and the previous owner was a headass
>cam chain tensioners (these cars have a timing belt on the front and a chain for the cams on the back, costly if you dont diy
>rust on the front quarters, most of the car should be good since they're zinc galvanized but theyre also nearly 20 years old
>if the suspension is fucked expect to get a whole new set of front steering knuckles and control arms since they're aluminum and probably won't separate from the rest of the assembly
>leaking something somewhere all the time
>shitty vag plastic everywhere that's brittle as fuck, cracked hoses everywhere (15 years old)
>interior does not age well, buttons tend to wear out and the glovebox is always fucking broken

Theres also some good parts though
>tuning is relatively cheap and easy, a stage 1 ecu remap gets you about 50hp so you can make around 250whp for relatively cheap but the rest of the car will suffer (don't do this with the tiptronic (auto transmission) as it won't handle the torque)
>lots of info online, bentley manual has everything you need to service it

Overall after owning mine for nearly two years I don't really think its worth it unless you really like the way they drive (lol understeer) or something. You gotta be ready to fix shit all the time which is a bitch because these cars are not made with diy in mind and a lot of things are difficult to access and you need specific tools to do it easily.

If you're on a budget I'd say consider an E46 instead if you want German or just get something Japanese and enjoy life
>>
Lolno 1.8t is fucking trash
>>
>>20235298
owned c5 and b6 had major rust problems on front fender and on c5 even roof started to rust. Now own facelifted e60 535d spend more or less same time fixing it but at least way more fun to drive and working on it not such nightmare.
>>
>>20231550
>It's got the typical VAG peeling plastics and a broken off cupholder that I plan on restoring.
Is this an American thing? These cars are everywhere in bongland and they are not known for this at all. Are your ones made in Germany?
>>
>>20236705
>Right, minus Quattro, unless it's 4motion.
The 1.8T came in fwd as well
>>
>>20239580
Yes, mine says it was manufactured in Ingolstadt.
>>
File: lead_720_405.jpg (65 KB, 720x405)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
So in short all these german shitboxes are money pits but bmw at least are funish to drive
>>
>>20239580
Germanfag here. The peeling softtouch buttons are also a big thing here. All of the a4 b6, including mine have this and people also wrote about it in forums.
I don't replace my buttons because the peeling is minor and hard to see and i also don't care.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.