[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: DSCN5936.jpg (58 KB, 640x480)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
sup /o/tists. Just bought my poorfag-dream e36 (95 325i) and my only gripe is the inability to adjust the steering wheel. I'm 6'3" and can handle driving it just fine, but my knees/fatass thighs are about an inch from the wheel. What can I do to lower my seat beyond what the adjustment motors allow? Pic isn't mine but identical, purdy ain't it?

As always, feel free to post your random specific questions here, too.
>>
Improve your position in the seat. Basically, sit straighter with your head higher and have the seat near vertical
>>
>>20216162
Similar but different question(s)

I'm looking to buy pic related when the weather gets nicer. Is it a smart buy to get a 10+ year old mercedes 2 door rwd coupe? Also being 6' would I have a problem fitting into it? No Mercedes dealerships have slc's or slk's out now because of the Season so i cant test them out now.

I already own a w204 13' c300 and my brother owns a 12' cls550. We're familiar with merc build quality and etc. But I'm not sure if a decent mileage (60k-ish) 10 year old mercedes would be a money pit.

All i know is that the m113 engine in the slk 55 is pretty bulletproof
>>
Miata fats/talls often shave some foam off the seat and then re-upholster it, or remove the seat rails and mount it directly to the floor.
>>
>>20216162
what modern engine will fit in a 60's mercury comet?
>>
Can an older model airbag crash sensor work for newer model airbags. For instance would a Volvo 240 sensor be at all compatible with the built in curtain airbags of a Volvo 850 front seat?
>>
>>20216444
I daily an M113 equipped S500.

It rolled over to 246,000 yesterday.
>>
File: 1492661858158.png (55 KB, 432x368)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
What are some options for a comfy, but sporty car for under $5k? I want something that is comfortable but I could get in manual, or possibly easily manual swap (think:Lexus SC300/400 or the IS300).
The cheaper the better, I'm a bit of a poorfag
What I can think of
>Acura CL Type S
>V6 Accord
>BMWs (but I probably couldn't afford to maintain them)
>>
>>20216501
All of them lol
>>
>>20217117
Assuming they are both 2 wire it should. Would you risk it though
>>
How complex would it be to swap a petrol engine inside a car whose original engine was a diesel?
Asking because, with diesel cars' prices hitting record lows, I figured I could snatch up a decent chassis, but if the swap is meme levels of complex it's not worth even considering the idea.
>>
>>20217328
it would require replacing the ecu
>>
>>20217331
Just that? I just need to grab the ECU from the new petrol engine in that case, right?
>>
>>20217338
yeah but the engine mounts probably won’t fit
Depends on the car, swapping a BMW diesel to petrol is relatively simple
>>
>>20217370
>Engine mounts won't fit
I think that goes for most engine swaps, I was more talking about things specific about swapping from a diesel engine to a petrol engine.
>>
Am I going to regret buying a bmw 325 tds with 230k km (pic related) as my first car? It’s advertised at €2000. That rwd and high horsepower (relative to anything else that costs the same here where I’m from) is very tempting.
Should I just go for a boring ‘96 Nissan primera with 41k km instead?
>>
>>20217328
>>20217375
New fuel lines and tank would be required I believe
>>
what should I choose? a 2004 merc CLK or an bmw 3 series e36/e46 coupe? or should I keep driving my fiat shitbox?
>>
>>20216162
Lose weight, you'll be healthier and drop and inch or from the wheel. Had the same problem before. Was a 250 lbs fatass who barely fit in an NA miata, now fits just fine at 180
>>
looking for a pre facelift e46 2.0 diesel estate, what should i look out for?
>>
>>20217415
E46 will be way cheaper to upkeep
>>
>>20217117
>>20217180

Another point about airbags, when do they expire?
>>
>>20216162
I’ll shoot.

I am planning in trading in my car soon at the dealership. Question is. I am just transferring plates, will I still get charged the full registration fees?
>>
>>20217403
>boring
there's your answer, mang. Do you wanna walk up on something you'd be proud to drive, or sigh every time you gotta get in it?
>>
>>20217328
You probably have to change the Gearbox driveshaft etc too.
Also legal costs csn be high too depending on where you are plus a good petrol engine will probably cost more than a petrol car in the first place
>>
>>20217524
No idea. Im sure they have a pretty good lifespan. Just not the takata ones lol
>>
>>20217473
wrong wrong wrong wroooooong
tge reason e46 parts are cheap is that they FAIL. I lucked out and just found a brilliant, unmolested mostly original e36 325i and parts are plentiful, cheap even from bimmerworld and the motors in the '94+ models are diehard, proven to crush 350k easily
>>
>>20217415
While the e36 is pretty cool the e34 is the true based and redpilled bmw. Try to find an e34
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (101 KB, 1280x720)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
My '05 Civic has had squeaky brakes for like 2 years now.

The noise is like metal on metal, but only occurs when you apply a specific amount of braking pressure. Too little or too much and no noise. Both the dealer's mechanic and the chain I went to both said it's just because it's an older car, but I'm terrified it's the rotors or some shit and I'm making a mistake driving it.

Is it normal for older cars/brakes to give off this noise? The fact that two mechanics said it's fine and that it requires a very specific degree of pressure makes me think maybe it is just because it's older, but I'm spooked.

Please and thanks. I know fuck all about cars but don't really want to get a 3rd mechanic opinion.
>>
>>20217403
Never had one, but I've had 2 e36's with gas engines and a e34 525 tds (same m51d25 engine) and I'd say go for it. Not one of the best german diesels, but ok still, my e34 was the ultimate beater, it was in a really poor shape and it had 550k km in it and never betrayed me. My friend even ran it without coolant for like 3 hours and nothing broke. Towards the end it started losing power really significantly and needed starting spray when it was under 0 degrees celsius so I got rid of it. E36 feels a bit cheapish on the interior, but it's a nice car to drive and I have nothing bad to say about them either
>>
>>20217973
It can be a number of things, from slight misalignment of certain components, to very thin deposits on the rotors, to random debris jammed somewhere in the brakes, to the pads compound simply being noisy, etc.
Unless you feel vibrations in the pedal when you brake or you feel sudden changes in pedal feel and brake power, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Sometimes shaving a bit of the leading edge (and possibly even the inner and outer diameter edges) of the brake pads off is enough for most common noises to go away.

Some pads have a built-in system that warns the driver when they are too worn, and they do that with a little metal flap scraping on the rotor surface, making lots of noise. I doubt that's the case if two mechanics already inspected the car and told you the brakes are fine.

There are many things you can do to try and fix the noise: You can change pads and have your rotors properly checked for deposits or uneven wear (which is almost always invisible to the naked eye) and then have then resurfaced or replaced as needed. You can have all the moving parts lubed and the rest of the system cleaned from dust and debris.
You can do that now or wait until you wear down the pads enough to replace them.

Squeaking isn't dangerous, just annoying, so don't worry too much about it.
>>
>>20217524
I remember reading on a few service manuals that they are supposed to be all replaced every 10 years
>>
>>20218312
I've driven lots of 20 to 30 years old cars with original airbags, I've always feared, that in an accident they would probably more likely rather just make things worse
>>
>>20218312
I got in an accident with 16 year old bags that I didn't even notice go off because they were all deflated like
Luckily I just hit the side of my head so they weren't needed. Car was still totaled to fuck though. Smelt so bad I thought my engine got fucked or something
>>
File: aufnahme.jpg (1.67 MB, 2160x2160)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
About to buy a new kickstarter, is this spline useable or should I buy a new one?
Not sure if this would interlock properly with my splined kick shaft.
>>
>>20217560
Do you even have any clue on how expensive post 2000 Mercs are to upkeep?
>>
>>20218738
Just save yourself from trouble and replace it
>>
>>20216162
Hey I have an 01 Jimmy quirk but I don't know if its a quirk.
>Be me
>Car oil pressure fine
>Heat up to 190 degrees (operating temp)
>Oil pressure light comes on when stopped but is fine when driving.
>No oil is leaking or burning. My oil level is completely fine in the engine. What gives /o/ is it ded?
>>
Is there any reason i shouldnt buy one of these if i want a comfy ride and interior but still want a truck bed?
>>
>>20218745
You tell me cause I own one...
>>
>>20219008
It's the oil pressure sensor failing. My old truck did this every now and then too.
>>
File: Interrogation folder.png (28 KB, 186x208)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
I see people driving with cars that make that gurgling bubble noise. What's the purpose of that?
>>
File: holoprosencephaly.jpg (16 KB, 400x300)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
Every time I step on the gas, let off the gas, or shift gears, I get a loud THUNK noise. Lots of vibration. Do you think it's the motor mounts/transmission mounts?
>>
>>20219973
i have the exact same issue, minus the vibrations. i had my mechanic inspect the mounts and found both engine mounts and the transmission mount are on the way out.
>>
>>20218290
Thanks. Like I said, I would be more worried but it requires a very specific amount of pressure to get the noise. I need another oil change+tire rotation+inspection in about a month, so I'll just wait til then.
>>
>>20216162
e46 seats are apparently lower and bolt in but the wiring is a little different. There are guides on how to do the swap.
Some e36 have an adjustable steering column than can be swapped in but that would be more difficult
>>
I have a 2002 E46 with 250k miles that needs new front suspension, tensioners, belts, water pump, and it may be burning oil should I just get a new car? Or is it worth repairing the car still looks great
>>
I live in a very cold place with a lot of snow. I also have a new car. What does /o/ do to keep their car exterior detailed and nice over such a loooong winter? What's the strategy?
>>
>>20220329
Oh and a thermostat
>>
Is a 3V 5.4L as bad as people say it is?
>>
>>20220329
Can you do the work yourself? If yes, fix if your so inclined.
otherwise bin it
>>
Are BF Goodrich Comp 2s good tires?
>>
>>20216162
so about how much would it be to import a modern uaz to the US?
>>
>>20216162
Smaller, sportier steering wheel, unless you want to keep it more or less "stock".

or unless you enjoy having an airbag, or unless you're not a big fan of having a steering column in your chest in case of a crash
i dunno, anyway i was hitting a steering wheel with my knees and switching to 330mm wheel had fixed the problem. i also appreciate how steering feels now, it's a bit harder to turn but it also feels somehow faster and more precise
>>
>>20217170
E30/E36, both are easy to maintain
>>
File: 1a24ef55f4[1].png (1.01 MB, 940x628)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
I saw a Shelby CSX for sale on bringatrailer. I really love the styling of this car and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them. I was kind of tempted to bid on it.
>>
File: P1240020.jpg (285 KB, 1681x1261)
285 KB
285 KB JPG
2007 bmw 320 e90 good first car?
>>
>>20217328
Depends on the car, but at a minimum you'll need to swap engine wiring harness, which may involve splicing in the main harness, as well as all the little shit like ps pump, ac compressor, brackets for those things as well as hardware to mount them, all the ps, and ac lines, motor mounts, coil packs, exhaust manifolds, etc.

You may have to swap transmission, and all its associated bits, including driveshaft. You'd probably want to regear the diff too.
Basically not going to get done for a reasonable price unless you have a wrecked gas parts car to strip the parts from.
>>
>>20220881
had them on my foxbody Mustang, yes they are
>>
>>20221337
Honestly no. Getting to that sweetspot where alot of major components reach the end of their lifespan, and pieces of shit to work on
>>
>>20221337
320d or 320i?
Avoid if 320d get a prefacelift 330d
IMO a 120 would be a better choice cus it has pretty much the same chassis as e90 but its smaller,lighter and more nimble and it has enough power for its chassis unlike the 320
>>
>>20221398
150k miles, never failed inspection
M47 engine

>>20221401
It just says 320 diesel 4d e90
Im unfamiliar with their naming system
>>
>>20221409
320d
d for diesel
320i
i for petrol

Look at 120d I was looking at an e90 320d but the engine was too weak for the chassis, so I bought a fully equipped 120d instead
Pretty happy with it but I want something I can abuse and mod so I am selling it
>>
>>20221417
This one has 210hp and 300 ft-lb of torque
>>
>>20221440
>M47
>210hp
>>
>>20217542
Any help anons?
>>
>>20217450
It seems like his biggest problem is that his legs are too long. I'd suggest him to get a chainsaw and chop some of it off.
>>
>>20221444
Turbo and also tune
>>
File: Mysterybox1.jpg (3.01 MB, 3024x4032)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
2001 Mitsubishi Mirage with the 1.8 motor.

Anyone know what the fuck this box is? It's located just behind the gas tank on the passenger (US) side. Got this car for laughs and have been fucking around with it. PO clearly thought it was important because it's secured 12 different ways, but I have no idea what it is. I was thinking it was part of the filler neck assembly but I think it's too far back to be that. I can see what looks like the fuel filter inside so maybe it's just a cover for that and the fuel lines, but it's hard to tell. Any ideas?
>>
>>20221461
Whatever dude buy a 3 series with a small engine thats abused to hell
>>
File: 1546363616476.gif (1017 KB, 500x331)
1017 KB
1017 KB GIF
>>20221003
>>20220263
OP here, thank you both. I -may- check out the e46 swap option, but I'd also had the smaller wheel thought yesterday. I do want to try and keep it more original as the two owners before me did, seriously lucked out at how clean and un-molested the car is.
>>20221460
also not a bad idea, I'll just get full hand controls like a handi- man
>>
>>20217338
And the wiring harness, transmission, driveshaft, exhaust system and potentially differential & half shafts
>>
>>20219369
You mean exhaust note?
>>
>>20221808
Yeah
>>
Getting a SUV for the family that can fit both a kid and a dog cage, live in northern Europe, what would you guys recommend? Budget 15000 €/$
>>
>>20221760
My man.

I lucked out on a clean touring 325tds this summer. Rebuild engine, low mileage (for a BMW), last owner a mechanic who knows his shit.
I was planning on wrecking it on a snow somewhere but fell in love with it, now I daily it as a family car and will try to restore it to its former glory.
There too many of these raped with shitty mods already.
>>
>>20222620
That's a really small budget.
>>
My car stereo does not have bluetooth. My plan is to hook up a bluetooth dongle to the AUX and power it using the cigarette lighter slot. Will this drain my battery when the car is parked?
>>
>>>20222222
>>
>>20222820
Is your cigarette lighter powered when the car is off?
>>
>>20222820
Yeah it may do, not over night obviously but just plug it out when you get out the car no big deal.
>>
File: Screenshot_178.png (489 KB, 800x288)
489 KB
489 KB PNG
Hello everyone. I am an owner of a Honda Civic AJ '84. A 1.2lt Carbureted engine (ZA1) that was built to burn LRP (Lead replacement petrol). On 2012 my country discontinued it and since then I am using Unleaded 95. My mechanic told me that I won't have any problem cause it is 12valve. Only problem is that every ~2 years I will need to clean the carb cause green glue/slime will block it due of the Unleaded usage. He said I won't need to put any additives in the fuel tank. I noticed that some gas stations (rare) sell LRP but its very expensive. I was wondering if I should put LRP every now and then. But I am worried if the gast stations simply sell Unleaded as LRP in higher prices. Do you think it's good idea to go for LRP once in a while? Or should I instead use some additives? Thanks for your time.
>>
File: 1461879517351.png (242 KB, 2811x2983)
242 KB
242 KB PNG
>>20216162
Brother sold me his old Mustang for dirt cheap. He took care of it but he also lowered it and don't like scraping speed bumps and I want to be able to fit a jack under it. Is raising a car to stock height doable without replacing tons of stuff? I'm gonna assume its not just popping the stock struts in or something, right?
>>
>>20223013

if you need leaded fuel you can buy lead additive, a guy i know with a super old Volvo had the original engine that needed leaded fuel and he bought lead additive from some parts store

>>20223172

yes, likely you can pop in OEM struts to get it to stock height. might be able to even swap struts with someone who wants to lower theirs
>>
i have an old project truck, the way it's wired only about half the fusebox is hot. has headlights, tail+brakelights, and working turn signals.

apparently it's such a rat's nest that a local auto place suggested rewiring it; they estimated that it would be about 2600-2700 bucks. wondering how much i should consider it? seems like a pretty heavy investment.
>>
>>20223172
Depends on how its lowered, if it on coilovers, you maybe able to just adjust the height, if it its on lowering springs then the springs will need to be replaced.

>>20223186
You mean springs not struts.
>>
>>20222820
>My plan is to hook up a bluetooth dongle to the AUX and power it using the cigarette lighter slot. Will this drain my battery when the car is parked?

These are battery powered and only need to be charged up occasionally:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Receiver-TaoTronics-Hands-Free-Cancelling/dp/B0728GP9XH/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546982431&sr=1-8&keywords=bluetooth+receiver
>>
>>20221448
Literally depends on your state possibly county, and how close you are to renewal.

Without that info we can't help you.
>>
>>20222498
Its the firing order of the engine, and the type of crank that makes, plus a thing called fuel overrun that causes that. It inherent in the design of many V layout engines.

The noise can amplified, or changed with certain types of exhaust.
>>
Im trying to rind a way around having to buy a whole new radio, but its looking like thats my only option. My cassette deck started to not like reading my aux cassette occasionally, and now it doesnt want to even lock the tape in place to try to read it. Every "hack" i find states you need a blank tape in there for the aux input to work, but thats not possible in my situation. Anyone have any ideas, or will i have to buy a whole new radio?
>>
>>20222724
I'm obviously buying used
>>
TLDR: gimme DD recommendations that can tow most passenger cars (so maybe 4k lbs max towing capacity?) but also get a good 25 mpg or so when not towing.

I have limited space atm and im wanting to fix and resell cars, but i dont have room to fit more than my dd and one project atm and my DD cant tow. I was thinking older jeeps like 2000s grand cherokees, and "small" trucks like a 4 cyl taco. Not sure how well those can tow through
>>
File: IMG-20190108-WA0008.jpg (113 KB, 1280x960)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
Which car is this one? I know the models year is 2006, but not the name
Is a Chevrolet, so no land cruiser
>>
File: IMG-20190108-WA0009.jpg (144 KB, 1280x960)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>20223743
More pics
>>
File: IMG-20190108-WA0013.jpg (138 KB, 1280x960)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>20223750
>>
Are camber plates better than camber bolts? Is there an advantage in having the tires and struts in the same plane?

>>20223743
Kinda looks like a tracker but I think the grille is wrong. What country?
>>
>>20223760
Colombia
>>
My car was totaled and the fucktard that hit me admitted 100% liability. Now how do I not get fucked by his insurance people? Any tips?
>>
File: 85bw70j1bvu11.png (380 KB, 813x768)
380 KB
380 KB PNG
Can I run 33's on a 2011 f150 without rubbing? Thanks.
>>
File: 1526428562270.gif (21 KB, 132x99)
21 KB
21 KB GIF
Looking to do an engine swap on my Sport Trac, going for a 5.0, but I also want a newer transmission. Namely, a 6R80. Would such a new transmission be compatible with an older engine without a standalone control unit?
>>
>>20224638
How do you plan on mating it? Have you checked to see if the bellhousing patterns are the same and torque converter will bolt up?
>>
>>20221448
Canadian here idk if you are. Anyways in the province I'm in I just get hit with the cost to plate it.
>>
>>20224766
I plan on having an adaptor plate made, I'm more worried about it electronically.
>>
>>20223704
4k is not enough you'd want 6k or more towing capacity just to be comfortable. My car plus trailer behind my truck is right at ~5800lbs

An older V8 Grand Cherokee would be capable of it but your gas mileage wouldn't be much above 20 on a good day. Pretty much anything thats going be capable of towing isn't going to be great on gas, unless you looking to buy like an Ecoboost F150 or similar new truck. The Tacoma wouldn't even be an option I would consider.

>>20223760
>Are camber plates better than camber bolts?

Technically no but camber plates make adjustment on the fly a helluva lot easier, I can jack up my car, visually (but not by exact measurement) be able to see how much camber my wheels are at and how much more I can adjust them to and have it set within about 10mins.

Also considering that putting on a camber plate does not replace the camber bolt on the original suspension, you're able to achieve a higher rate of camber that you would with just the bolt if that's your sort of thing.
>>
>>20223743
Its actually a Suzuki grand vitara that was rebaged for Chevy back when GM and Suzuki were still doing that sorta thing.
>>
>>20224786
Honestly that's probably a ford forum question, but an educated guess would be that if does come with a TCU stock, and that TCU communicates with the ECU, there's going to be problems
>>
thread almost dead bump
>>
the clamp on my postive battery cable clamp snapped. its a little rinky dinky thing.

can i somehow just replace the clamp or do i need to replace the whole cable? i looked up a youtube tutorial for replacing the cable on a ranger and the dude was using torches all doing all this crazy shit.... is this something i can do with a few basic tools and basic mechanical knowledge?

2000 ford ranger 4cyl 2.5l mt 2wd
>>
File: 20190109_112956.jpg (905 KB, 1080x1634)
905 KB
905 KB JPG
As of yesterday, a 2000 bmw 528i touring has popped up on my local craigslist for 500 bucks. 3 owners, third has had it since 06. Has its fair share of rust, and is currently around 160k. The reason he is selling the car is due to an alleged broken heater inlet pipe. How difficult are these to change, and is it worth the money for the car. It is a v6 also
>>
File: bt11-1.tag.0.png (217 KB, 1000x1000)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
>>20226851
>>
>>20226884
This, my car stopped starting one time and i used AAA and they threw one of these on and it hasn't been fucked up since.
>>
>he's asking $4400
This or a similar one with a slight rear main seal leak for $2500.
Fuckin toouugh call
>>
Anyone know anything about Car Inverters? I need something in the 300-500w continuous range.

I've usually just grabbed some shit from walmart for like 30$ but nowadays there's a fuckton of the things on Amazon across all Wattage ranges.

I need something that'll plug into a car cigarette lighter and have a built in protection system so it doesn't fuck my Rental car up.
>>
>>20221056
It's a turbo K-car platform shitbox, but probably less shitty than most since shelby did it.

My suggestion is to A: look at some other bright red cars with gold wheels, since that shit looks good on anything, and also look at some other hot hatches. Merkur XR4TI comes to mind, turbo dodge daytonas, etc.
>>
File: Antifreeze.jpg (393 KB, 1024x768)
393 KB
393 KB JPG
Sup /o/. I recently acquired an 86 Dodge 50 (Mitsubishi Mighty Max to the rest of the world) and it's in pretty solid shape except the coolant resevoir burbles a lot when I shut the engine off after a long drive. The truck isn't over heating while driving, though.
I know worst case scenario is head gasket, and I'm going to pick up a hydrocarbon test kit just to be sure, but there's no bubbles in the coolant when the engine is warm and running with the radiator cap off. And the there's no sludge in the oil and the acceleration is fine (for a 32 year old four cylinder)
The other thing I was thinking is maybe a pinhole leak in my coolant system, because there's no visible puddles or leaks under the car.
Am I missing anything?
>>
>>20227767
you have nothing to worry about
>>
>>20227767
you have a lot to worry about
>>
>>20226871
>It is a v6 also

No its not.

>car is due to an alleged broken heater inlet pipe.

You'll need to pull the dash out and replace the heater core out. Easily a two day job, and alot of parts you'll need remove and replace to get to it.
>>
Is it really worth paying 830 dollars more for 33 inch tires on r22 for my f150 vs 32s?

Is 1.2 inches going to matter much for offroad or look noticibly larger? Thanks.
>>
>>20228126
you won't be doing serious offroading on 22s anyway just save yourself the money
>>
>>20228245
Alright. Thats how I was leaning - thanks. I'm curious though, would the 33s look noticibly larger?
>>
>>20227767
Update, I think it's my thermostat. I just took it for a drive and after my upstream radiator hose was noticeably warmer than my downstream hose so I don't think my thermostat is opening fully. Luckily a new thermostat is like $10.
>>
i have a 2000 tacoma 4x4 and sometimes when i turn my steering wheel all the way to one side it makes a squealing noise. what could be causing this? the power steering belt slipping? should i replace the belt or try to figure out how to tighten it up?
>>
so i bought a used car from a big brand name dealership and less than 30 days later it was so fucked they had to tow it in and replace two axles. how fucked am i? i feel very fucked. i feel the ghost of multiples thousands of dollars flying out of my pocket
>>
>>20228925
what kind of car
>>
>>20228925
Check your state's lemon laws, also start raising a stink with the dealership.
>>
>>20228974
2011 honda accord

>>20228983
is the best option to try to get them to take it back? i was looking into the lemon laws. are problems with the drive axles an indication that other things are really wrong with the car? i feel like a retard since i was doing a lot of research and went to a bunch of different places and drove a lot of different cars and i really only care about reliability
>>
My friend said that I need to "Baby" my transmission cause it's starting to go bad.
How exactly do you "Baby" a transmission?
96 Camry
>>
>>20229009
Refund, replacement or repair. And when I say raise a stink I don't mean leave a nasty Yelp review. Go to the BBB, the Chamber of Commerce, see if your local news station has one of those Consumer Watchdog guys. I mean really make it ugly for them.
>>
>>20229009
pretty sure lemon laws are only for new cars. did the dealership give you any kind of warranty?
>>
>>20228837
Yeah most likely the belt is slipping, check what kind of system it has for tightening, if it's an automatic one with a spring, you can't do much except replace the belt and the tensioner, if it's a manual one, you can try moving it a little bit and see if it solves the problem.

Belts aren't expensive anyway so you might aswell replace it if it doesn't look good
>>
>>20229061
Federal lemon law is for new cars only, but some states have varying degrees of used car lemon law/buyer's rights law on the books. It's worth looking into if it's been less than a month.
>>
If I go over a rough patch of road while I'm braking hard enough the brake pedal sort of judders and theres a mufffled sound like one of those flappy door stops that seems to come from the driver side wheel. Is this a serious issue? It's a 2009 Honda Civic sedan if that has any bearing on it.
>>
>>20229172
Does your car have ABS?
>>
>>20229172
It's probably the ABS doing its job.
Next time it rains, try to brake hard on a safe stretch of road that is also very wet.
If you feel the same vibration and noises, then it's just the ABS working
>>
>>20229011
Slow starts. No hard acceleration.

It its on its way out, you probably need to be planning for a replacement transmission, or new car regardless.
>>
>>20229053
>>20229113
thanks, the lemon laws seem to indicate that they get to try to fix the problem before i can demand a refund anyway. i don't think the chances are good that they fix this and then i have the five or so years of driving without major expenses i was hoping for. maybe when things really bottom out i'll just kill myself at the dealership or whatever
>>
Am I going to regret buying a Benz sl320 for my first car? 6k for 88 thousand miles with a clean history.
>>
Are there any online retailers that sell replacement rear seat belt buckles (female end)? Looking for an 07 Impala.
>>
>>20229223
Yes
>>
>>20229639
No
>>
>>20229645
Have you not checked a junkyard? Failing that have you not checked with the dealer?
>>
>>20229704
Then it's probably just the ABS
>>
Really stupid question. I've inherited my father's old Lancer ES Sedan, about 10 years old and has less the 40k miles on it. In the broader spectrum of hoon cars, how good is it? Pic related is this closest I can find to it since I think it's a limited make or something (racing pedals and shit).

I'm not typically a /o/ person since I don't need to drive much, but I fucking love this thing. Will I be able to do much Initial D bullshit in it?
>>
File: 1546715006837.jpg (6 KB, 203x250)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
1.9tdi VW, just changed the clutch and flywheel, now the car won't start.
I turn the ignition and the starter solenoid clicks and the lights dim, but that's it.
I'm trying to think of potential reasons and so far I have: poor grounding, starter rotor seized, incorrect size flywheel (unlikely but I'm starting to doubt myself now), dead battery. Does anyone have any experience to share?
>>
Car is a 2014 but has slight surface rust on some bolts in the engine bay. Something I should fix or be worried about ? Really annoys the shit out of me. I live in Texas and my damn engine bay has rust .
>>
>>20230297
Well if it was a wrong flywheel the motor would still spin and simply scrape the flywheel.
Maybe it was already on it's way out and working on it made it fail, so it could be just a coincidence.

Anyway you could check your connections and test the motor by giving it straight battery power with two random wires to see if it's actually broken or if there is a problem with the original wires.
>>
>>20230097
>Fwd shitbox with less than 200hp

No hooning for you.
>>
>>20230759
>Surface rust
>Texas

What exactly are you worried about?
>>
Can you guys help me find a torque converter for my transmission that fits and is the right gear ratio? The transmission itself is the Jatco RE5R05A, model number on it is 91X78. From what I read up on it's the C variant which I can't find. My local parts store had a torque converter that was for a different model of the RE5R05A and didn't fit well into my original transmission which I recently returned
>>
>>20230914
:( is it at least more powerful than your average shitbox? It feels it.
>>
>>20230097
>but I fucking love this thing
that's all that matters, anon. drive it, love it, maybe take it on some twisties if you can. i'd have to be completely heartless to explain to you in detail how much of a econobox joke non-evo-non-ralliart lancers are, so i won't do that. you can have fun in any car, but ordinary lancers are no different from any other generic shitbox sedans on the market.
>>
>>20231044
I guess ignorance is bliss then. I was actually planning to buy and Evo in a few years when I can afford it anyway.
>>
>>20216162
Golf GTI, FoST or alfa chadmeo guilietta?
>>
File: forkrust.jpg (487 KB, 1778x1000)
487 KB
487 KB JPG
>bike sat outside for a year finally got it running the other day
>took it to the gas station and back
>got home noticed rusty water splashed on my left wrist and handlebar
>see the left fork's dust seal lifted itself up
>there's rust all under it
>smelt and felt the liquid that splashed off and it's just water not oil

How much trouble am I in? Is it still safe to ride? I don't think any water actually passed the oil seal, no oil leaks as far as I can see, and it rode fine the few miles I did my test ride. Bike is a Triumph TT600.
>>
File: rustclose.jpg (400 KB, 1778x1000)
400 KB
400 KB JPG
>>20231290
A closer pic.
>>
Is a semi-auto gearbox on a 2015 car weak compared to a standard? Like if i wanted to learn to drift and drift infrequently should i be worried about the transmission?
>>
what should I know about trying to register an out-of-state 80s ford trucc with the 460 gasser in CA?
>>
>>20231006
143 hp? Most liter bikes have that much or more.

Worse yet if you have the CVT version any stupid hooning shit will probably fry that transmission. So be responsible use and care for it til you can save up for a proper car.
>>
>>20231453
Do you mean triptronic style transmissions or dct?
>>
Why does my coolant overflow tank need to be about half full if my radiator is already full? Does it really matter that it's low right now?
>>
>>20231660
Because you dont want air to get into the system.
>>
how hard is it to rebuild a transmission and where can i get manuals and stuff on rebuilding specific transmissions
>>
>>20227226
Too much ?
>>
>>20217170
e36/e46. My buddies 330i zhp is comfy as fuck.
>>
>>20231649
Like an auto but you can switch it to clutchless "manual"
>>
>>20227226
Hard to tell from pictures, best bet is to go check it out in person.
>>
>>20230297
How long did it sit without running? Hopefully it's as simple as a battery with low charge, time to get out the multimeter
>>
File: image0.jpg (69 KB, 953x712)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
For lack of an /mg/, any NA owner have installed Cibie 82440s? Looking to get a set, but I couldn't find out if they bolt right in or if I need to do anything to make them fit.

Thanks
>>
>>20232665
yee that's the plan, Saturday. Kind of wondering if it's silly to buy a second car. Driving a '14 mustang right now...I do alright financially but still, it feels like a waste.
How many of y'all got two cars?
>>
>>20232541
How retarded are you? It was a simple question.
>>
>>20231896
In terms of difficulty rebuilding is as follows Automatic transmission>Engine>Manual transmission=differential.
>>
OP here, mid-90s ABS question. driving home the other night my cul de sac was a sheet of solid ice. half the 'sac is down a slight hill and i had to go like 0.1 mph, letting my engine brake me but also feathering the brakes too. My first attempt at staying slow, i depressed my brake and held it. as i slid a bit, the brake pedal fought back and got stiffer and harder (inb4 dick jokes) and my jerk reaction was to push harder for a split second before i let off and started feathering it like a madman.

Question is, what happens in that situation? does all that extra pressure actually get applied to the brakes, and can it stress them out to the point of damages? the next day they sounded stressed out but worked just fine.
>>
>>20234188
All the pressure is being vented out of the ABS valve body and back to the pump, what you feel is pressure increasing between the pedal pump and the ABS pump.
The more the ABS works, the harder the pedal gets and the less pressure gets applied to the brakes.

Every time the ABS engages, pressure is lowered on whatever wheel it's about to lock (all of them, in your case). When it's just one wheel, you don't notice the firmness of the pedal, but when it's all 4, it's just like trying to pump through a plugged pipe where the fluid has nowhere to go

It's working as intended, no need to worry about stressed or anything
>>
just bought a 2016 m235i xdrive

Did i fuck up?
24k miles 36k out the door after taxes/fees, warranty until march 1 2021
>>
>>20234525
Nice car

Sounds really expensive but I'm just going to assume that's the going price. My 2012 135i M-sport with 92k miles was 16k out the door. Older, higher mileage, no warranty, two wheel drive. I guess it makes sense. Happy motoring.
>>
>>20233032
I have Hella ECE H4s in mine. It is to-date my most favorite mod I've ever done to any car regardless of price. The Cibies are probably essentially the same. No modding required, at all. It's the exact same thing as replacing a H6024 except there's a bulb to put in.

Make sure you read this:
https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
>>
>>20234555
thanks, loving it so far, price is fair for the mileage and options (every option ticked) just wish i got more off the car.
>>
>>20228925
>>20229009
You bought an 8 year old car and you're angry that something broke? I can understand asking them for a discounted price for the repair if you had them fix it, but they aren't obligated to do anything for you. You need to adjust your expectations. It's an old used car.
>>
My bike had a ""custom paintjob"" done by the PO, that on top not looking very good, was donne horribly, the paint is flaking near hot points (headers, radiator) and it seems like there's not enough clearcoat, as it will get new scratches just by looking at it the wrong way.

I dont have enough money yet to get a new one done correctly, can I at least try to save the current one by rattlecanning a few clearcoat layers on it or will it look like shit (even more so)?
>>
>>20217170
If you get an older bmw (like e36 others have mentioned) they are not bad to maintain yourself if you have some mechanical knowledge. I have an e36 I do all the work on. Parts might be a little expensive but they are widely available and junkyards almost always have an e36 or two you can pull parts from
>>
Its time to replace my cat converters on my 96 Toyota. I know only a few states require the CARB cat but would it be worth it to go ahead and get the CARB cat just in case laws change or if move? I know some people run CARB ones to help pass emission sniffer testing.
>>
>>20231002
Anons plz
It's my only car
>>
>>20234229
thanks anon o7
i knew i was worried over basically nothing but i realized i didn't know exactly how ABS worked and wanted summa dat /o/ know-how
>>
>>20235182
If you think you may move, go ahead. Even if the law changed, it wouldn't affect older vehicles. I'd get the regular.
>>
so i have had iac high idle problems on my truck which -I THINK- cuase my starter to go out
>take truck to halfprice mechanic to fix it cuase i didnt think it was the starter
>a week later truck starts starting rough and then stops starting
>look around and the positive battery terminal is snapped and wont clamp the battery post
>add a new clamp and it still starts rough
--- is this becuase i snapped a ton of strands of copper when i put on the new terminal? ----
this morning i removed the terminal and covered the frayed copper strands in anti-corrosion grease, i hope this helps. i havent tried to start it yet, though. i assume this grease is highly conductive
I
>>
>>20234562
Think I should use some LED thing over a normal Halogen H4?
>>
really dumb and poorfag question

do you guys that change to winter tires also have extra wheels or do you switch out the tire on your original wheels?
>>
What's that weeping sound when I start to accelerate while letting off the clutch?
>>
>>20236189
I got two sets of wheels and tires and it seems dumb that people are changing their tires on the same wheels twice a year.
>>
I'm a french poorfag looking for his first car
I want a RWD car that can be fun in the twisties, but also comfortable on the highway and still be practical while reliable or at least easy to work on
what buy?
>inb4 miata
>>
>>20236241
Consider an old Volvo or a Sierra. Or an MX5.
>>
>>20236251
>insuring a convertible in France as a young driver
no fucking chance
>>
File: IMG_20190111_212908.jpg (3.58 MB, 4608x3456)
3.58 MB
3.58 MB JPG
Speaking of Miata, am I retarded or how do I get the round metal thing off. I'm can't pull it out with force and I don't want to pry because might damage something. I'm also 99% sure there are no screws.

Pls help
>>
I'm thinking about buying a 2015 cadillac cts. It's 23grand with 40k miles on it, is it worth?
>>
OP here back again with an e36 question:
Hit the carwash today and immediately after leaving and hitting the street my engine cut out very suddenly. Battery is fine, starter cranked strongly but wouldn't run. I'm fairly certain it's an electrical fault seeing as how we got the undercarriage wash and my dials flipped out and random lights blinked on and off when engine died. it started up again 5minutes later but died another two times in five minutes going over 3k rpm.

i thinm it's a fuel pump relay. any other opinions?
>>
>>20236545
>round metal thing
you mean, hub for your wheel? it's being held by one large nut inside, but it's usually stuck. try spraying a bit of wd40 on the bolt (it has those little stripes), then forcefully move it left and right until it gets unstuck. it might take a while
>>
Anyone got ideas for music to play in the background while wrenching? Got a new BT-speaker, eager to test it out with that true work-shop feeling.

>>20234795
>can I at least try to save the current one by rattlecanning
You can try. It won't work though.
>>20236208
Transmission, probably. If it's an older car, they did that on lower gears (1 and 2) from the showroom floor. Don't worry.
>>20236665
There are as many options as there are parts in your E36. Let it dry out and start going over components with a water-squirt bottle while it's idling.
>>
>>20236823
>Transmission, probably
What I meant it that I hear it when starting roll from 0 in combination of letting of the clutch and giving gas at the same time. Car runs fine but I do worry cause I really like this old car and I want to have it forever. I just hoped that there's something wearing out in the clutch, not the transmission.
>>
>>20236965
Unless it started doing it suddenly, you really have nothing to worry about. Otherwise, sounds like a pilot bearing on it's way out.
>>
>>20236741
Thanks my man, I unscrewed the nut and then put the wheel back on and pulled it off. All good!
>>
favourite car TV show?
>>
File: 20190110_190854.jpg (310 KB, 1992x1121)
310 KB
310 KB JPG
is this DOT approve?
>>
File: 20190111_182501.jpg (159 KB, 1992x1121)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>20237653
>>
Recently got an 80s car with a vipers security system. Is it worth turning on if I live in a city? Does it really drain the battery or is that just a meme? Seems to be a 90s version of vipers if that makes a difference
>>
Two questions:
1, best place to find the cheapest solid steel rear truck bumper?
2, are there any racing harnesses that bolt onto a car seat for minor additional restraint or is that just a notion not worth pursuing?
>>
>>20237770
Harnesses are either bolted or half bolted and half strapped to various bars and hooks around the car.

If you want to use stock holes for bolted harnesses, you will typically use the rear seats buckle holes for shoulder straps, the stock belt holes at the sides of the driving seats for lap straps and then either skip the crotch buckle entirely or come up with something to bolt it under the seat.

Pic related are FIA guidelines for mounting harnesses on race cars
>>
Why would a car with brand new brake pads and rotors have its pedal sink to the floor when stopping, make a loud "pop", and then proceed to work perfectly fine afterwards?
>>
>>20227226
>he's
>>
>>20238020
Many thanks, anon.
>>
File: 21208937218.png (106 KB, 612x491)
106 KB
106 KB PNG
something I noticed today is that my rear tires have uneven wear, driver side has tread and the passenger side is almost bald in the center

what is causing this and how hard is my wallet going to be fucked?
>>
>>20238156
Wear in the middle is usually a sign of overinflation
>>
File: 2138761287653.gif (98 KB, 964x912)
98 KB
98 KB GIF
>>20238209
just checked the PSI and the good tire is ~2 PSI higher than the bald one
>>
>>20238287
It takes a long time for tires to wear, maybe it has been overinflated in the past and drove a bunch of miles like that until someone fixed the difference.

Either that or you have alignment/camber problems, but that would result in asymmetrical wear, not just wear in the middle.
>>
can someone who has been to one explain how auto auctions work? helped my friend get his stuff from his impounded car that he was surrendering and the lady at the desk encouraged him to come back for the bi-weekly auctions to buy another car. he says the max is $500 but theres no way thats right, i saw a new challenger getting towed in as we left.
>>
>>20238962
>the max is $500
i meant the max the vehicles go for. i can understand the minimum being 500, but that challenger wouldnt start anywhere near $500 if it made it to auction.
>>
>>20228380
Your upper radiator hose SHOULD be hotter than your lower hose. Hot coolant travels from the engine to the top of the radiator and will be cooler when it exits through the lower hose.

Your thermostat wouldn't cause a burbling noise. If it was stuck open, your engine wouldn't heat to operating temperature. If it was stuck closed your engine would overheat. You have neither of those symptoms.

If the head gasket test is negative you could pressure test the system to check for leaks. Air can be drawn into the system as the temperature drops and coolant system pressure reduces, which would fit your symptoms.
>>
>>20216444
I’m selling a 2008 slk 280 if you’re interested in Nevada 70k miles
>>
>>20216162
would an e36 m3 or aj e39 m5/540i be more practical for driving daily? I've had enough of my g35 and wanna get a more legit car I can be more careful driving in now that I'm like 23.
>>
is there any point to being a car guy when you live in a place with terrible roads, shit laws, cops always out to get drivers, shitheads on the roads in cars and on bikes.
>>
>>20238027
Did you pump the brakes after reinstalling them? If not, then the pistons were retracted too far and didn't make good contact with the pads which may have moved and made the sound.
>>
I need to buy a new car, I'm considering 1.6. Polo or a New Fiesta SEL. Which one does /o/ prefers?
>>
>>20239283
you could be into a car tuned to that kind of environment

small car to weave around bikers, rally suspensions and a badass engine to get away from cops and keep it looking like a camery so cops wony notice you
>>
File: damn it.jpg (7 KB, 490x80)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>20232665
>>20227226
:(((
>>
do i need to grease this ~cloth/paper-like-material~ gasket when replacing my iac valve?

2000ford ranger 2.5l
>>
File: 94LWRtw.jpg (39 KB, 450x349)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
What's the best pussy magnet car?
>>
Is there a significant difference in price depending on the time of year, in particular for sports cars in the US? I know it's a common theme with bikes that they're pricier in spring when riding season starts and cheaper in the fall and winter when you can't ride. Just looking at Mustangs and i'm wondering if now is the best time to buy or if i'll lose anything by waiting.
>>
File: rav4x1.jpg (13 KB, 300x168)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
im looking to spend about 30k for a small SUV/crossover and narrowed it down to a new 2019 RAV4 or a 2016 BMW X1 w/ ~25,000 miles

What would you guys recommend? And do you think I should be considering any other cars?
>>
>>20241134
>It hit a curb
>Front airbag deployed
Doubt.jpg
>>
My GFs brakes were really spongy so I was bleeding the brake lines to get the air out. When I took off one of the rear wheels the outside cover of the drum brake just fell off. Are these covers normally just held on by the wheel and lugnuts? Or is something g fucky going on? After bleeding I drove the car around and saw improved braking so I'm not sure if this is an issue.

2012 corolla
>>
>>20242455
They're usually held on by rust or the parking brake. It's fine.
>>
>>20242275
you know what, it all worked out. Found a different miata with 100k miles. Carfax showed immaculate service records with maintenance items being repaired and replaced on time, owned by a 70 year old man. buying that bad boy.
>>
>>20242714
Thanks!
>>
4speed auto
In top gear when I hit my hazards or turn signal my revs bounce down and back up in time with the flasher by about 250rpm.
Engine speed not just tach, you can feel it affecting the car.
What could possibly cause this dumb shit?
Also the abs light is on, but will occasionally stay off and work for about 5 min.
I have an aftermarket 4pin flat trailer connector, grounded to the brake light ground.
If I have the car in park and hit my hazards it locks and unlocks the shifter in time with the lights.
>>
>>20243570
Electrical gremlins in your shifter? Lord have mercy.
>>
i want to buy a supermini for the gas efficiency.
the problem is they are all super-ugly.
the only good looking ones are the fiesta and the polo and after some research i found that both have faulty transmissions.
im considering honda fit at this point, should i get it?
>>
>>20243585
Right?
I'm not excited.
I'm hoping it's related to that stupid 4pin adapter box and removing it will fix it but we'll see.
I just wanna see what /o/ thinks it might be.
>>
What are some good competitors to the BMW 435/440i Gran Coupe? I want a 4 door fastback with a 6 cylinder engine that's at least a decent driver. I can only think of the Stinger.
>>
>>20216444
I'm 6'1" and have a few hours behind the wheel being a Mercedes tech. You will fit just fine, the seats are literally as thick as a deck of cards. They aren't very comfortable though, not the seats specifically but the whole car. I would hate to drive more than 2 hours in one and I daily a gutted s13 wanna be race car.

They are reliable though. But a total chick car. I'd recommend a sl500 or 550 if you want a coupe/convertible. Fuck I love those cars. I hit 150(mph) effortlessly in a sl65 in a decent rainstorm
>>
>>20243570
Change your ground location
>>
I'd rather walk
>>
>>20241145
NO
>>
>>20239283
Yes, build a car to over come those "obstacles". Cars can be fun anywhere imo
>>
>>20231290
you can always try to replace the fork oil yourself but I'm sure you're fine as long as you don't go on winding canyon roads, long distance adventures, or high speed highway runs. You should be able to feel the smoothness of the suspension and how comfortable it is to ride. You can always test it by going over speed bumps at various speeds. Thats just my opinion
>>
>>20242050
I think the smartest decision is to not get an SUV/crossover. Or to get any vehicle other than an SUV or crossover.
>>
>>20236545
They are usually really tight, almost press-fit. Their is a tool to pull it off evenly. But a few medium strength hammer whacks from different angles then prying at it EVENLY should work. Assuming you aren't completely retarded and already got the center nut off.
>>
>>20222820
I have this and my cigarette lighter remains powered when the car is off. I've never bothered unplugging it and it didn't drain my battery after leaving it parked for 2 weeks.
>>
>>20231536
It will need all the original smog equipment like from factory. If a previous owner removed EGR or upgraded the carb you will need to find the original parts. Now if the CA version had additional smog equipment compared to other states you don't need to also add that stuff. Just what was stock in the state it was sold in
>>
>>20230297
Is your battery charged enough? Are you sure you plugged every connection back in? Maybe the clutch safety switch shit itself at the most conspicuous time. Try bump starting it and see what happens.
>>
>>20241854
99% of women are attracted to the perceived wealth of a car, not the actual car.
>>
>>20229011
What makes you say it's "going out"? Is it slipping? Shifting lazily? Shifting hard? If so check your trans fluid level, low fluid will cause these issues. So will fluid that's too old and gone bad. Top it off or do a trans service ie: replace fluid and filter
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (219 KB, 1391x749)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
what's the car in front?
>>
>>20228837
>>20229075
What he said. Or you could be low on PS fluid
>>
>>20241145
I'd do just to avoid a vacuum leak.

>>20241891
No

>>20239234
I daily a 540i, neither the E36, or the E39's are going to be easy to live with, and I would suggest having a second car or truck as back up even if you intend to do your own maintenance.

If you don't plan on doing your own work look somewhere else other than a German car.
>>
>>20244010
Second gen Ford Focus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Focus#Second_generation_(2004%E2%80%932011)
>>
Would an early 2000s outback be a good <$3k car for going out on rough trails and mountains and such?
>>
>>20244054
You mean jeep trails? With 6in ruts?

Or do you mean the occasional Logging truck road, or hiking access road that's moderately covered with gravel?
>>
>>20244061
Something in the middle, I guess. Dips and bumps and generally uneven terrain.
>>
>>20244067
I suppose it could do that, comes stock with 7.3" ground clearance but it could easily beach itself on something less than that if its off angle, so I wouldn't be going on something too crazy, unless you're looking at a lift kit.
>>
>>20244092
What would be a good "all-purpose" ground clearance for something like that?
I don't intend to do anything really hardcore, but I like having options and my sedan is probably not cut out for anything but pavement.
>>
>>20244104
Your basic 4x4 truck height like 12 ins+
>>
Is there a newer, more modern equivalent to my 30 year old Mercedes Benz 300E? And by this I mean a car that is ALL of the following:
sedan with a high build quality
reliable as fuck
a 6-cylinder engine preferably an inline-6
rwd with lsd
is available with manual transmission

The only car that I have considered as a worthy successor (Lexus IS300) simply doesn't exist where I live especially with a manual transmission.
>>
Does anyone know my front seats appear to be stuffed with some sort of dried grass or moss. You can see it when you look through the lever that allows you to fold the seat forward. I googled it and the only thing i could find is that the classic ford seats were stuffed with spanish moss but my car is a 1991 golf. Any ideas?
>>
What's /o/'s rule of thumb when looking for used cars, mileage wise? I know that it's less about how many miles and more about how good the previous owner was, but usually you don't have the chance to really learn anything about the previous owner (in my experience finding a lot with actual service records before they acquired the vehicle is near impossible), so generally I look at 70k miles as the max.

Is this way too high to expect someone to maintain their vehicle? I've read that 40-50k is probably better max as most cars have dealership warranty until then, but being used to fairly high mileage cars (current shitbox is 211k miles, bought at 187k miles) I haven't run into any major problems other than wear items.
>>
>>20216162
How do you guys play in the snow? Do you do donuts or slide around corners or what? I just got a 95 jeep wrangler and would like to have some fun on our gravel roads but haven't done anything like this before. Also, how does one do donuts in a vehicle like this? It is a manual transmission if that helps.
>>
File: Horsehair pad.start-L.jpg (178 KB, 800x600)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>20244326
Its molded horse hair, my 1986 735i had the same, makes the car have distinctive earthy smell.
>>
>>20245748
>What's /o/'s rule of thumb when looking for used cars, mileage wise?

If the car is over 10 years old Mileage is less irrelevant than records of comprehensive maintenance.
Basically: a well cared for 120k mile car can in better condition than an 60k mile car that's been trashed.
>>
What are /o/'s thoughts on 4 cylinder 2013 accords? Still have relatively limited info on the car.
>>
My bmw obviously has the stock run flat tires equipped and I need new tires. Do I need new wheels if I want non run flats?
>>
>>20243916
For the trailer plug box?
What if I just removed it, do you reckon that would work?
>>
>>20246624
Got more info. It's an EX-L 2D
>>
>>20246333
Wow, horse hair? Thats weird but cool. Thanks anon
>>
File: DM6983-bdguvwin.jpg (182 KB, 1024x768)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
Is it even possible to significantly modify a Ford Mondeo 2008 2.0 Petrol?

Pic related.

I want to get into modifying my car purely performance wise, but I'd rather not have to get a different car id I don't have to. What can I do with it, if anything?
>>
Why is it so hard to find upgrade parts for a 407?
I can find shit for 206s, 406s and even 307s or 308s but there seems to be a fucking black hole when it comes to 407 parts that are not just OEM spec replacements.
>2 months of constantly calling the biggest parts shop around here asking about when they're going to bring in brembo perforated discs and brake pads
>no adjustable suspension kits
>no forged pistons or any other engine related part
>best you can do is pretty much nigger rig a larger turbo and slap an intercooler in front of the radiator
>>
Is it ok to put jackstands on the part made to jack up the side of the car?
>>
Can i go my cars dealership and find out if certain work has been done when owned by previous owners? Like tsbs/recalls and such? Do they keep that info on a shared database?

My car had a gasket uissue among certain models several years ago. I want to know if the previous owners had that work done to fix it.

Also do dealerships offer tunes/flash that can unlock more power from the factory car? What types of tunes or flashes do they typically offer?
>>
File: 1517444125889.jpg (21 KB, 552x687)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
Is there a rule of thumb or a guide of some sort to know if it's okay for you to finance a car with X value?
I'm aware this surely is a retarded question but I'm a complete stranger to debt in general. The new hatchback corolla seems to hit all the right spots for me and I'm getting really fucking tired of old shitboxes on which something needs fixing every other week.
>>
How old does a car have to be for a dirty engine airfilter to impact gas mileage? I've read/heard that more modern cars account for dirtier filters, but how modern? 2000's+?
>>
>>20247700
TSB's, maybe?
recalls yeah, those are stored on a commonly available manufacturer-specific database
>>
>>20246726
Nope
>>
>>20245748
was recently shopping and spied a '95 e34 525i with 70k on it for under four grand. fuckin' awesome, right? except it didn't have any maintenance records. carfax was relatively clean, but it bugged me. So I held out and found an e36 with over twice as many miles that was LEGITIMATELY rust-free, with new exhaust, new motor mounts and transmission mounts, new clutch, rust prevention coat professionally done, and a bunch of other shit while being kept almost completely original. Paid less than $3k. Didn't even talk the seller down.

Less miles are great and all, but regular maintenance and records of fixes/upgrades are much better.
>>
Car lost brakes and it smelled like what I can only assume is brake fluid. Where should I look first to find where the fluid came out?
>>
>>20248295
Can you smell it from inside the car? If yes, then it might be the pedal pump leaking into the footwell.
Otherwise look at the calipers, the brake lines in the wheel well, the ABS pump and the reservoir.
>>
>>20247596
That's where you're supposed to put them.
>>
>>20247749
Since the advent of electronic fuel injection, like late 70's.

Pretty much any system that uses MAF or AFM or O2 sensors.
>>
just got my driving licence and am looking for a cheap shitbox
would this do?
https://www.autoscout24.at/angebote/mazda-626-te-2-0-ditd-diesel-silber-aafcae07-f694-44df-bb6f-3d3a5a6bab11?cldtidx=5
apparently the only fault is rust
>>
Does anyone here have expierence modifying headlights?
My Audi has the shitty 90's HID lights which in typical fashion have burned out reflectors. Light output is shit needless to say.
It's a 2.5inch xenon projector, my options are new headlights, 100€+ each, aftermarket quality projectors adapted for this car, 150€+ or what im thinking i see those cheap 30-40€ projectors on aliexpress. If i could make them fit with some mounting brackets there shouldnt be any issues right?
And by the way, do expensive xenon bulbs really make a difference? Is the difference between a 6€ and 60€ bulb that noticable?
Im on maximum poorfag mode but i need to see something at night help me nibbas
>>
>>20248760
No it would not. Theres a couple things wrong with it.
First, its a diesel. You want the 2.0 85kw gas/petrol engine, its damn near bulletproof.
Second, you will regret getting a car with rust. Unless you can weld i would stay away from it.
>>
>>20248916
>mutt say diesel bad cause no diesel in murica
Fuck right off, this is an international website, not everything revolves around your 56% white asshole.
>>
>>20249144
Let me guess,
You're brazilian?
>>
>>20249151
Keep projecting, fag.
>>
>>20249144
top lel you nigger im from eastern europe where diesels are the majority
I dont like diesels but i never said it was bad. For the 626 the gas/petrol is a better choice overall
>>
Is increasing the preload on the springs of a coilover an acceptable alternative to getting harder springs? I know I’ll lose some suspension travel but it’s moslty a track car anyways, so I don’t mind. The stock 8kg preloaded spring is 7” long. How do I calculate how much I need to compress it further to get it to 9kg or 10kg?
>>
>>20249226
Nvm, just read a little about it. Horrible idea and unless it’s a progressive spring it doesn’t even work.
>>
Just drove my '92 miata and i noticed my idle was really high (like 1900rpm)
So i parked the car and i noticed i had accidentally turned my AC on.
Why does it idle so high? Looks like the AC condenser is leaking, could this be the problem?
>>
>>20249469
I imagine the engine needs to compensate for the AC being on. And if its from 1992 it probably isnt the most effiecent like modern cars are
>>
>>20249665
1900rpm isn't normal idle speed for an NA6 Miata with Aircon on tho
>>
>>20248558
Then why does it bend the fuck out if the frame?
>>
I'm planning a trip to freedomland and I want a mazda cap. Am I welcome in dealerships? If I say I'm a tourist will they send me away?
>>
2014 nissan versa wont start. when i turn the key it makes a noise like an old man with emphysema, i guess the engine turning without any clicking or sparking. not throwing any codes. when i tried push starting it literally nothing happened. it slowed down with no noises of any sort. where should i go from here?
>>
My windshield whipers (Bosch aerotwin) stop working properly above roughly 180 km/h.
They still move, but they don't whipe away the water anymore, how can I fix this?
>>
>>20250125
rainoff
>>
is all that shit rust?

(looking at craigslist ads)
>>
>>20250177
Is this supposed to be some kind of joke?
>>
>>20250125
Install spoilers on them.
>>
File: 1545257895170.jpg (2.54 MB, 4032x3024)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB JPG
Question was never answered so second try

Mark viii here. Per my uncle's instructions, I'm looking to hand wash grime like this off. What cleaner to use? What kind of rag to clean with?
>>
E36 is awesome. If I had a garage to keep it in and work on when it breaks down and another car to drive to work, I would love to buy one but unfortunately I need something that will be reliable.
>>
File: img_7934.jpg (392 KB, 2048x2005)
392 KB
392 KB JPG
>>20249796
Because that's not the frame. Jack from the jack points and put your stands under your subframe or rails. You can use an adaptor to avoid bending the thin metal.
>>
>>20216162
Bought a 91 Accord and replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders. No matter what method I use for bleeding only the master gets fluid. The reservoir barely drains any fluid. Any idea what the problem might be?
>>
Are the additives worth sticking with a good high mileage conventional oil or should I switch to a much better synthetic but without seal conditioners?
>>
What tires would you guys recommend getting? Was looking at the Continental ContiExtremeContact DWS06, they have pretty good reviews and arent crazy expensive
>>
File: Capture.png (1.86 MB, 1224x671)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB PNG
what type of car is this?
from the new true detective season

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.