[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/news/ - Current News

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 24 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-extracted-russia-spy-trump-classified-info-oval-office-2019-9

The US was forced to extract a top-secret source from Russia after President Donald Trump revealed classified information to two Russian officials in 2017, CNN reported on Monday.

A person directly involved with the discussions told the outlet the US was concerned that Trump and his administration routinely mishandled classified intelligence and that their actions could expose the covert source as a spy within the Russian government.

Trump stunned the national-security apparatus and intelligence community when it surfaced that in an Oval Office meeting in May 2017 he shared the information with Sergey Lavrov, Russia's foreign minister, and Sergey Kislyak, then Russia's ambassador to the US.

Trump's disclosure was not specifically about the Russian spy. But his disregard of strict intelligence-sharing rules to protect highly placed sources "prompted intelligence officials to renew earlier discussions about the potential risk" that the source in Russia would be exposed, CNN reported.

At the Oval Office meeting, which took place one day after Trump fired FBI Director James Comey, the president is said to have boasted to the Russians that firing "nut job" Comey had taken "great pressure" off him. Comey had been spearheading the FBI's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 US election.

Trump then went on to share with Lavrov and Kislyak intelligence connected to the Islamic State in Syria. The information came from Israel, which had not given the US permission to share it with the Russians because it could have compromised an Israeli source in the region.

The report said that Mike Pompeo, the CIA director at the time, also told other senior Trump administration officials after the meeting that too much information was coming out regarding the US asset in Russia.
>>
This is not the first time national-security veterans have expressed concerns that Trump's actions could reveal sensitive information about US intelligence-gathering processes and human sources working abroad.

Late last month, the president's tweet about US military information he received during a classified intelligence briefing earlier that day immediately set off alarm bells because it included a satellite photo of an Iranian launchpad that was of a much higher resolution and better quality than the commercial satellite images of the site that were publicly available.

It also contained markers indicating that it was taken by USA-224, one of the US's most secretive spy satellites.

Intelligence veterans said the president's tweet would be a gold mine for hostile foreign powers.

"One doesn't use intel for the purposes of taunting. The Russians and the Chinese will be very happy to study this," Robert Deitz, a former top lawyer at the CIA and the National Security Agency, told Insider.

Last year, Trump also made the unusual decision to authorize the declassification of a highly controversial memo about the origins of the Russia investigation by Devin Nunes, then the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, for political purposes.

The memo and its release sparked a firestorm on Capitol Hill and within the intelligence community. Top intelligence officials met multiple times with senior White House staff to urge against releasing the document for fear that it could expose sources and methods.

The Justice Department and the FBI also took the extraordinary step of releasing statements cautioning against its release by the House Intelligence Committee without giving officials enough time to review it.

>TL;DR: Sieve-in-chief puts American lives at risk because he's leakier than a Russian submarine
>>
Reminder that Trump specifically banned western media from attending this meeting but allowed Russian media in. America learned about the details of this meeting through Russian state media.

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-bans-american-journalists-from-lavrov-russia-meeting-5ed59b516845/
>>
https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/cia/460629-cia-source-pulled-from-russia-had-confirmed-putin-ordered-2016

Even better, the spy they had to pull was very close to Putin, and had confirmed that Putin personally ordered the 2016 election meddling. This asset served the U.S. for years. There's no chance that Russia doesn't know exactly who this was.

RIP and friends and family he had that aren't in the U.S. now.
>>
>>458373
I'm not so sure that will save them. Polonium finds its way into so many places these days...
>>
I don't understand how people can still attempt to lampshade this election interference
>>
>>458402
Because it may mean their "god emperor" is illegitimate and a very helpful idiot for the Russians at best or Ivan's Puppet at worst.
>>
>>458403
It's not really possible to know if the election was tipped. And even if it was, it was certified, making Trump's presidency legitimate.

As much of a bad taste as that leaves in my mouth, it's the truth.

The rest of your post is pretty on point though.
>>
RIP spy
>>
>>458405
There was quite the discrepancy between independent polls and official election result. Of course all the Trump drones immediately claimed that independent polls are to blame and no longer trustworthy.
>>
>>458506
Oh, there's EVIDENCE galore, and the Mueller report demonstrated tampering, but the election was still certified.
>>
Could I get some Trumpcucks in here to explain why mishandling classified information is literally the worst thing a person can do when Hillary Clinton does it but it's totally fine when the God Emperor does it?
>>
>>458543
The President can declassify anything he wants at his own discretion. If he shared the info then it literally wasn’t classified anymore.

Go ahead and seethe more about how IT WAS HER TURN though, faggot.
>>
>>458545
>The President can declassify anything he wants at his own discretion. If he shared the info then it literally wasn’t classified anymore.
While you can argue that he technically has that power, it doesn't change the fact that when it's done in a foolish manner it becomes a security risk.
>>
>>458547
What I am arguing is that what Hillary Clinton did was a crime, and what Donald Trump did is not.
>>
>>458548
Doesn't make it excuseable.
>>
>>458548

Alright, why should it be a crime for anybody to do it?
>>
It's the treason, stupid.
>>
>>458548
>Whataboutism
Remind me when Clinton leaked top secret information to our enemies and compromised a top secret source spy by inviting two of Russias top spies to the Oval Office?
>>
>>458563
>Whataboutism
Read the thread you’re posting in dumbshit, I wasn’t the one who brought up Hillary.
>>
I hope America can make it a few more decades. It seems like the empire's controlled slow-burn is getting less slow.
>>
>>458370
tfw your own head of state is a bigger danger to your survival than foreign counterintelligence
it's a sad kind of feel
>>
>>458574
You are very optimistic. I give it 6 years +- 4
>>
>>458548
Yeah. A crime the administration at the time didn't consider worthy of prosecuting (not to mention the CURRENT administration).
>>
>>458567
And neither made fuckall differences in your life and both are using it to prod each other
>>
>>458372
Try posting a source from a non bankrupt news agency
>>
>>458548
BAM!
also, sharpie, something something drumpf
>>
NEWS!

BREAKING!

QUALITY POSTS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_myCp1Y45Q4
>"It turns out the spy was living under his real name in the US peacefully and that Trump wasn't even in office when they started to extract him from Russia"

EVERYTHING YOU READ THAT AGREES WITH YOUR WORLDVIEW IS ALWAYS RIGHT! LOL!
TRUST ME I'M A DUCK!
>>
>>458609
BAM!!
>>
>>458556
The president has certain special powers granted to him by his office. And one of them is the ability to declassify anything he wants at anytime to whomever the fuck he wants.

Now its up to congress to determine if him using this power is done with the intention of commenting treason but that is a whole neither discussion.

>>458575
Pretty much every 3rd world shithole since forever.
>>
>>458609
Yeah CNN got some bad reporting done there and jumped the shark quite a bit.
>>
>>458609
>youtube blogger
>Probably a Russian pawn
No thanks
>>
>>458615

That did not answer my question. 'Why should it be illegal for anyone', forget the president for now.
>>
>>458370

ARE YOU FUCKING TELLING ME THAT AMERICUNTS HAD A FUCKING SPY IN KREML WHEN IN A SAME TIME THEY INVENTED FAKE RUSSIAN HACKING OF THEIR RIGGED ELECTIONS?

well.. FUCK AMERICANS! FUCK THEM!!
>>
>>459009
>Your question

Because unlike the president, not everyone gets the high level view of what is going on in the world and thus miss use it. Thats why information is compartmentalized to begin with so as to limit need to know to the bare minimum and even the president doesn't know everything (he just has access to it all and can know without going through all the hoops).

And as more people have access to the info, the more likely people who shouldn't know, (enemy nations, traitors, etc) are likely to learn about it as well.

Does that answer the question or do you need it spoon fed even more on why its a bad idea for everyone to know the pass code to the nuclear launch missiles?
>>
>>458609
It's funny to me that Fox News is basically using the New York Times to debunk the CNN article, yet the Times article also discusses how the spy witnessed Russia's tampering in the presidential election, but Fox will deny or ignore that part of the story.
>>
>>459118
It's an unsubstantiated claim based on what evidence. The CIA would have to publicly disclose that information to prove the spy's statement correct.

Besides that it's always been a tickling point that we've brought back some kind of Cold War 2.0
It's far from just Russia trying to influence our politics, theyre just an easy target. The whole world wants our piece of the money. The whole world.
>>
>>459177
My main point wasn't even what the truth is, it's that Fox News throws all of these other news organizations under the bus, but as soon as they write a story that supports Fox's agenda, they're suddenly a reliable source.
>>
>>459290
Any news seems more reliable when they're reporting against what you think their agenda is.
>>
>>458599
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/us/politics/trump-russia-meeting-american-reporters-blocked.html
>>
>>459045
>not everyone gets the high level view of what is going on in the world and thus miss use it
so how is this case with Trump not misusing it? dont pretend he has a high-level view of anything, despite having access to high-level information
>>
So it was just fake news as usual?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.