[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/news/ - Current News

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 45 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: 1471961888498.jpg (193 KB, 500x500)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
Rep. Stephanie Murphy, the Democrat who represents parts of Seminole County and Orange County, has a bone to pick with the U.S. intelligence community.

In an op-ed column for the Washington Post published earlier this week, Murphy renewed her objection to the lack of public knowledge about Russian attempts to hack into Florida’s electoral system in 2016.

Security officials, Murphy argued, have been less than forthcoming about Russia’s interference efforts. It took Murphy ― and her Republican colleague, Michael Waltz, R-6 ― requesting a private briefing for officials to disclose that two counties had been penetrated by Russians, Murphy writes. And in fact, there may have been even more counties affected. Murphy herself is not sure, she wrote.

Related story: Florida lawmakers under hacking gag order. And they’re not happy about it.

Murphy is not allowed to share key details she has learned ― the names of the counties, for example ― with the public, she said. Murphy has a problem with this arrangement.

“It’s self-defeating to be given incomplete information and then be required to remain silent about the few facts we do know,” Murphy said.

The piece contained further sharp warnings about election security in 2020:

“If we can’t form a clear picture of past election interference efforts, we won’t learn how best to fend off future attacks,” Murphy wrote.

It made the case for transparency in the area of election security:

“Why have the details of this foreign attack on our democracy been shrouded in secrecy?” Murphy wrote. “Federal law enforcement agencies view local election officials whose networks were targeted as victims entitled to confidentiality. I believe the victims are the voters.”

https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2019/09/08/a-florida-congresswoman-is-wondering-why-she-cant-talk-openly-about-russian-election-hacking/
>>
>>457938
what a retard.
Oh lets reveal all the information we know about how to russians hack our election machines!
Im sure that they wont figure out where the information came from and terminate the source!
They wont change their software now that we know what theyre using and were revealing what we know so they definetly wont do anything about that.
>>
>>457945

i hope your cat does shit on your face..
>>
>>457945
You're being silly.
You don't know how much of the limited information she was disclosed. It is certainly not all of it and it is well within reason to assume that there are no technical details that need be disclosed, so forget the slippery slope.
Both sides will change their technical measures, software and surveillance, anyway.
If someone has enough knowledge about the election machines to remotely hack and manipulate them, it would be better if they terminate their own sources than if they just keep doing what they want, because it doesn't seem like any credible claim on Russia having rigged the elections will be made with this level of information secrecy.
>>
I'm pretty sure the country most responsible with meddling with US elections starts with Is, ends with el and contains ra.
>>
muh muh russia
>>
>>457945
>>457966
You're right, it's foolish to care about foreign governments meddling in elections or trying to do something about it. Nothing to see here, they helped a moron dictator wannabe get into office who you agree with so who gives any shits about actual democracy?
>>
>>457938

Florida is just desperate to have any excuse to cover up their election corruption/incompetence that they've demonstrated for the, what, past 6 election cycles? Did everyone forget the Bush/Gore election? They do it every fucking time.

"The Russians..." lol
>>
>>457967
>they helped a moron dictator wannabe get into office
Let it go, Hillary
>>
>>457967

Its foolish to suggest that every muh russian is a representative of the muh russian government.
Russians ran adverts for Bernie sanders, black lives matter, muh drumf and hillary.

There are ways to improve US elections though.
Strictly enforce voter IDs and get rid of the voting machines.
Thats way more important than someone putting something on twitter.
But of course this isnt really about improving US elections is it?
>>
>>457980
Hillary also would have been terrible, that's just part of your clusterfuck of a country. But Trump has proven himself to be truly despicable and is acting like a classic dictator in training.

>>457985
They're not the only problem, but pretending they're not trying and succeeding at fucking with things is retarded.

I agree very strongly with ID and getting rid of voting machines though.
>>
>>457990
>They're not the only problem, but pretending they're not trying and succeeding at fucking with things is retarded.

I agree they are fucking with you and trying to exploit the divisions already present in murrica. I just dont agree they were trying to rig an election. When everyone thought that shillary would win by such a margin that it would pointless.

In texas they funded a pro muslim event and an anti muslim event on the same day.
Im not from muh russia but I wish I had thought of that and had the money to fund it.
>>
>>457991
Well for one Russia is a big place and there probably isn't just one faction trying to meddle, but the meddling is clear for whatever reason and is a common thing governments do, the US included. I just think pretending it's nothing is unwise. Domestic corporate meddling is far worse.

I think the most important issue everyone should be focused on is keeping politicians in check and honest once they are in power. But that would require serious restructuring that no one in power is interested in.
>>
>>457995
This is because the system for getting people INTO power is broken. So that's what we need to fix.

>secure, honest elections > secure, honest elected officials
>secure, honest officials > Good laws
>Good laws > healthy nation

It's a slow process.
>>
>>457995
>probably isn't just one faction trying to meddle
But CNN told me every Russian has the same opinion delivered to them via telepathic link from Putin.

>I just think pretending it's nothing is unwise.
In my initial post I was mocking the muh russia hysteria in the media. Rather than saying it was nothing i was laughing at how over exagerated the reaction is.
But In the grand scheme of things adverts on facebook and twitter are nothing.

Most countries dont even try to stop people doing that. Instead they trust their people to make an informed decision based on a variety of factors not because some russian on twitter told them to vote a certain way.
And of course the US leverages companies like google to completely undermine the democratic process in other countries. Not in a small way like twitter adverts. They dont need to do that.
>>
>>458014
Most countries don't have the (as Sen. Armstrong put it) 24/7 spew of internet trivia bullshit we do.

More importantly, most countries don't have so much corporate money in their elections thanks to the level of buttfuckery that Citizens United caused. We have to worry about it because we made it a problem worth worrying about.
>>
>>458020
That is true but also we all know that the US leads the way in global culture.
Theres not much point hacking some shithole country where as if you can push the US to do something you want, a lot of other countries will follow.

With that said, putting adverts on twitter and facebook is not hacking. The US just needs to change its election laws so that foreign nationals can run adverts on twitter and facebook during a US election and it would save them millions of dollars in wasted investigations.
>>
I unironically think it's great Russia meddled with America's elections, after America meddling with pretty much everyone's elections for decades.

Payback's a bitch.
>>
>>458011
Certainly honest elections are important but I think there need to be more systems in place to keep a check on their honesty. I realize am extreme about it but strongly feel that people working as public servants such as politicians should be 100% open to public scrutiny in all they do. Every meeting they take and every penny that goes in or out of their bank account ( contining for a time after leaving office) should all be publicly available. Anyone who is against that kind of transparency is morally unfit to hold any position of public power.

>>458014
That's because CNN is a farce but I still think it's an issue worth addressing seriously for any country.
>>
>>458025
I would personally prefer not to have foreign money influencing our politics period.
>>
>>458033
I understand your reasoning but I have to say that's overkill, for two reasons.

1. Exposing all levels of operation like that exposes them not just to the public but to those who would seek to oppose the United States and her interests. Some of our stuff HAS to remain secret. National security seems like a bullshit excuse but it is valid on many levels.

2. Literal TMI. Who watches C-SPAN (besides me)? Disclosing even more operations will drown the critical decision disclosures in minutiae and nobody will actually know what's going on.
>>
>>458034

Other countries would prefer not to have the US interfere with their elections as well. Im sure.
Google is ostensibly a private company but also part of the US deep state.
They dont even need to pay tax in foreign countries because people are so dependent on google. It looks like getting them to play fair and leave other countries politics alone would be impossible.

So at least allowing it to happen in both directions would mean everyone is on a level playing field.
>>
>>458040
>we have a problem
>let's make it a problem for everyone, at least that way things are equal
???
>>
>>458033
>Certainly honest elections are important but I think there need to be more systems in place to keep a check on their honesty. I realize am extreme about it but strongly feel that people working as public servants such as politicians should be 100% open to public scrutiny in all they do. Every meeting they take and every penny that goes in or out of their bank account ( contining for a time after leaving office) should all be publicly available. Anyone who is against that kind of transparency is morally unfit to hold any position of public power.

I agree with this and also if your a public servant under Obama who thinks the sun shines out of Obamas ass you should resign when Obama gets booted out. Not try to work against your own country just because its run by someone you dont like.
>>
>>458044
>you should resign when Obama gets booted out
>gets
>present tense
>obama
???
>>
>>458037
I agree some things need to remain secret, the details of every meeting don't need to be shared, but with whom and the general context does. National security from other nations is important, but I think a transparent government is more important. Certainly when it comes to the finances of those in power.

Also you don't need everyone to be keeping up to date with all the minuta all the time, but to have it available so it can be checked any time is the goal.

It's not a perfect solution but would be a huge improvement in my opinion. It will never happen though
>>
Elections should just move back to paper ballots with the entire vote counting process live-streamed.
>>
>>458043
>>we have a problem
More like every country in the world has a problem including the USA.

>>let's make it a problem for everyone, at least that way things are equal
If you didnt see it as a problem it wouldnt be a problem.
>>
>>458047

Correct. Im talking from the perspective of the US election that happened in 2016.
You are an Obama supporting public servant in 2016. You should be looking to resign and move on with your career not work against your own country just to undermine someone you personally dislike.

>MFW I sometimes get lazy with tenses but this time im actually correct
>>
>>457938
Unless there is some kind of evidence backing up her claims, is there even evidence this meeting took place, it is safe to assume she is lying about all of it.
>>
>>458050
>if you ignore the truth, it will go away!
>>
>>458044
>I agree with this and also if your a public servant under Obama who thinks the sun shines out of Obamas ass you should resign when Obama gets booted out. Not try to work against your own country just because its run by someone you dont like.

I agree in spirit, but think the transparency I seek would largely mitigate that. There should be people of various political opinions and leanings at multiple levels of government all the time though as well. Progressives and conservatives working together with their perspectives is what makes good government. Dems getting into power and firing anyone with Republican leanings doesn't do any good either.

Also there's a difference between someone working against someone else because they have personal or policy differences and working against them because they see them as a genuine threat to the security of the nation. Anyone in office in the US not working against Trump at this point is failing in their duties. That goes double or tripple for conservatives.
>>
>>458052
Ideally people serve the country, not the president. Swapping out everyone every election cycle is a giant pain in the ass. I can't call this position wrong, but I think the premise should never come to pass in the first place.
>>
>>457938
Gettin' kind of tired of the Russian boogie man shit. All these claims, nothing ever substantiated. And yet it just keeps coming up again and again. I wish they'd pick someone else to blame. Get some fresh blood in the psuedo-press.
>>
>>457945
She has all this super-serious-secret-info about how the russians haxed our gigahertz but she can't tell us, anon. Just listen, and believe. #metoo.
>>
>Republicans are stonewalling any attempt to let the public know about Russian attacks so they can win in 2020.
We already know Republicans hate America as they're lead by Traitor Trump and Moscow Mitch, what else is new?
>>
>>458189
Republicans love America, pr rather they love their idea of America. But they think it's the promised land for white people given to them by god so when reality rears it's ugly head they go into meltdown.
>>
>>458215
Democrats love America, or rather they love their idea of America. But they think it's the promised land for equality given to them by intellectuals, so when reality rears it's ugly head they go into meltdown.

And just to head you off, everyone has their own idea of what it means to be an American which they hold sacred and get upset if you tell them that their opinion on the topic is wrong. But if partisanship is your bag, who am I to say your views are close minded
>>
>>458241
I can't tell if this is satire.
>>
>>457985
>There are ways to improve US elections though.
>Strictly enforce voter IDs and get rid of the voting machines.
How would that improve the elections? It would make them unmanageable. Do you want the commoners to choose the president of the USA? You can't be serious. Look at them. Look what they did to Europe. Look at the tax rates you would pay in Europe. They don't even have guns in Europe. How do you defend your family during the zombie apocalypse without guns? You don't, you're helpless zombie food. Sad and tranniepilled. Don't let the losers decide who your next president is. Leave that decision to the winners. To men like Donald Trump and Steve Bannon. They are the best because they know what's best.
>>
>>458274
You know, it almost seemed like you were making a genuine point there. Then the meds wore off.
>>
>>457945

>all the information we know about how to russians hack our election machines!

They factually didn't and there is no real evidence supporting any Russian interference.

>Muh Twitter bots stole the election
>>
GOVERNMENT: this secret shit exist, but we can't you about it, but trust us
PEOPLE: yeah but what about iraqi yellowcake lol
>>
>>458276
Honestly the Twitter and Facebook shit scares me more. Sure, we should be worried about direct tampering with machines and ballot stuffing, but that is a relatively easy thing to fix. The scarier aspect is manipulation of the public mindset prior to the polls. This implies that not only is the general public malleable enough to be manipulated by a foreign power, but that they are also equally if not more susceptible to manipulation by domestic powers. We focus so much on how foreign agents could control the vote, but no one seems to concerned that the same methods are being employed by domestic agents for the same ends. Really makes you think.
>>
>>457985
>Strictly enforce voter IDs
lol that would remove half of the dems' voting base, they'll never agree to that.
>>
>>458275
>I, Johnny Nomoney the pig herder, have an opinion
>surprise surprise, it's angry retard drivel
Nobody cares why you hate America. Go die in Afghanistan.
>>
>>458303
Your own masters have been doing this for generations. People aren't born as fanatical xenophobes and militarists, it's the result of decade-long indoctrination. People don't reason themselves into the endless circle of ad-financed trash and trash-financed ads you call culture. It takes hundreds of billions of dollars in "PR" spending every year to keep them there.
>>
>>458303
>Sure, we should be worried about direct tampering with machines and ballot stuffing,

fuckeeerrrrrrrr.. in real democracy. you get fucking cameras and fucking letter where a well educated voter is voting. you dont use fucking machines or any fucking ballout stuffing. you get fucking whole population which is followed by police camera to the fucking box and out of the box to the fucking letter box. if you cant do such simple shit then you are living not in a fucking democracy or you should move to Russia.

https://www.euronews.com/2019/09/08/russians-cast-their-vote-following-summer-of-protest
>>
>>457972
This. Love watching Russia Russia Russia backfire on the people who launched it. (Dnc)
>>
>>458307
>Nobody cares

oy! gewalt! Shlomo! if you dont care why do you even answer then?

https://youtu.be/HHgxOXEQaFU
>>
>>458276
>>458314
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_interference_in_the_2016_United_States_elections

I guess they just made all this up, right?
>>
>>458361
>I guess they just made all this up, right?
Actually, yes.

It's more comforting to blame your shortcomings on the boogeyman than it is to admit you sucked so hard it was cool to make memes against you.
>>
Everytime shit like this comes up, not long after there's another story about amateur "hackers" breaking into these machines super easily.
But for some reason when professionals from another country try, it's fake news?
>>
>>458362
Ok retard.
>>
>>458276
>They factually didn't and there is no real evidence supporting any Russian interference.
Mueller report says otherwise.
>>
>>458364
Welcome to 4chan. Where everything that matches the retards' preconceived opinions is divine truth and everything that doesn't is a Jewish persecution plot against the pigmentally disadvantaged.
>>
>>457945
Yes but pretending like nothing happened and everything is fine is just as bad if not worse.

Better to be proactive then just wait for it to happen again
>>
Virtually no one in the tech industry believes electronic voting is secure or reliable. The only reason we still use these stupid fucking machines is the companies selling them are contributing to reelection campaigns. Paper ballots are the only reliable way to vote and they're a lot safer because to alter votes you have to have someone physically be there. If the counting is done by a group of volunteers it lessens the likeliness of tampering.
>>
>>458390
I see you are man of learning as well.
>>
>>458361
Read the podesta emails.
>>
>>458364
Strawman. No one is saying the Russians were incapable. Also no one was saying until quite recently that voting machines were a Russian target. Initially the hacking was claimed merely as the source of the DNC leaks.

Russia Russia Russia email "hacking" was always just distraction from the emails' content.

It's literally like getting the Nixon tapes and obsessing about how they were released while ignoring what was on them.
>>
>>458668
>No one is saying the Russians were incapable. Also no one was saying until quite recently that voting machines were a Russian target.
Buddy.
>>
>>458667
Every third podesta email was fake.
>>
>>458668
>It's literally like getting the Nixon tapes and obsessing about how they were released while ignoring what was on them.
IIRC, the DNC leaks contained evidence that Hillary and the DNC colluded to rig the primaries against Bernie. So they were claiming that Russia rigged the elections by telling the public that the DNC rigged their elections...
>>
>>458721
What don't you understand about the DNC leaks being spiked with fake articles by the time they got to Assange?
>>
>>458720
Yea because cryptographic hashing isn't a thing.

Not even the dnc said they were fake. And if they were, then the Russians didn't hack anything.

I hope you're just trolling me and not actually this clueless.

>>458721
Correct. It was hilariously obvious at the time. They've adapted the story since then to make it marginally more palatable. They were quite desperate.

To them trump was the lesser of two evils. Bernie is acceptable now because he proved spineless at the convention and afterward. But at the time he looked like a genuine reformer. Hence the whole of 2016.

>>458728
Google how emails are confirmed.
>>
>>459020
Don't the Russians usually tamper with the document to spread disinformation.
>>
>>459043
Why would they, when the truth does the job just as well while being the truth?
>>
>>459043
Google cryptographic email hashing.

You can't tamper with emails like this for the same reason you can't edit the blockchain.

But also this...
>>459050
>>
>>457938

Nobody believes muh russia had (or has) any actual influence on our election processes - its just easier to point a finger at vlad than at is.rael. its MUCH easier to point a finger at vlad than at the corporate kleptocrats that actually control things in the US.
>>
>>459511
>Nobody believes
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>459043
Read up on DKIM and HMAC
>>
>>459043
Hello please sir thank you
Please circle jerk with me for moment sir
Russians obviously spread disinformation and are not to be trusted same with these emails these is no reason to trust them or believe any different, they are false sir thank you please
>>
>>459521
Truth hurts, doesn't it?
>>
>>459521
Of course you would you like information plebe
>>
>>458667
>podesta
Speaking of boogeymen...
>>
>>458668
Well if you want to read them, the entirety of the leak is on public display as an art piece in Venice.

It's being explicitly described as an 'anti-monument' - massively overhauling something meaningless and mundane.
>>
>>459537
Are you implying podesta is a fictional character? Or his emails are fictional?
I can assure your that you are wrong in both cases
>>
>>459539
Funny how something so meaningless shows that the dnc rigged its own primaries in favor of Clinton and caused the chairman to resign upon release
>>
>>459549
So you haven't actually read them.
>>
>>459577
Lol yeah she never resigned
>>
>>459579

She never left that rent-free apartment in your brain, I can see that much.
>>
>>459577
>>459588
seething lmao
>>
>>459612
I guess you are yeah
>>
>>459548
Facts don't matter to these people. It's the new manifestation of religion. Only instead of a church centered fiction it's a television channel centered fiction. Each channel type is denomination.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.