[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/news/ - Current News

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 40 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

File: zoomer death.png (333 KB, 897x598)
333 KB
333 KB PNG
CDC officials advised people to stop using e-cigarettes until scientists gain better understanding of the epidemic of serious vaping-related lung disease that has sickened as many as 450 people and left at least five dead across 33 states.

The latest deaths were reported Friday by health departments in Indiana, California and Minnesota, following deaths in Illinois and Oregon. State officials say a number of cases involve marijuana products, but caution against drawing any conclusions and say there may be multiple causes.

CDC said it had confirmed 215 vaping-related lung disease cases and was investigating another 235 possibly related to vaping.

Minnesota's first vaping-related death involved a 65-year-old man with a history of lung issues, the state's health department said. Indiana and Los Angeles County also reportedly had deaths. The first fatality was reported last week in Illinois. Earlier this week in Oregon, officials said a man who bought marijuana vapor from a dispensary had died.

A major case study published Friday found that 84 percent of 41 Illinois and Wisconsin patients reported using THC — the psychoactive ingredient of marijuana. But more than half of them also used nicotine.

At least six groups of potentially toxic compounds are found in e-cigarette liquids, including nicotine, carbonyls, volatile organic substances like benzenes, trace metals, poisonous flavoring compounds and microorganisms, Harvard public health expert David Christiani said in separate NEJM editorial.

No conclusions can be drawn just yet, Christiani wrote, but "physicians should discourage their patients from vaping."

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/06/cdc-suggests-vapers-stop-vaping-as-lung-disease-numbers-rise-1711143
>>
>>456768
What an absolute surprise
>>
>>456768
>State officials say a number of cases involve marijuana products, but caution against drawing any conclusions and say there may be multiple causes.
>dont draw any conclusions
alright, i guess i wont draw the conclusion that people should avoid vaping
>>
>>456784
>all of the incidents include vaping
>some include vaping marijuana
>dont draw conclusions that this is a thc related thing
>>
>*ssssssssk*
>it's just vapor bro
>*huuuuu*
>what's the big deal?
>*shcuuuuuuuuooooool*
>you're just mad you can't
>*haaaaaa*
>can't blow fat clouds like me
>*cough*
>>
>don't draw any conclusions
>microorganisms
It's some new bug like Legionella again, isn't it?
>>
>>456785
i wouldnt be surprised if it was bad batches of THC oil, that werent purged correctly. idk what the distribution of cases looks like among different states, but if its primarily states where weed is illegal, and either california is an outlier or its somewhere like humboldt, ca where random people will make their own oil anyway, then i think that would be fairly likely
>>
>>456827
Vitamin E acete is the contaminant involved. You'd have known that if you'd actually been following the issue rather than spending your time posting stupid, made-up speculations based around your personal prejudices.
>>
>>456830
fag

>Mitch Zeller, director of FDA’s Center for Tobacco Products, said the agency is seeing a “mix of results and no one substance or compound, including vitamin E acetate, has been identified in all of the samples tested.” He also cautioned against establishing a link simply because a substance was in each product, saying it was “just one piece of the puzzle.”
>>
>>456832
http://lemonparty.org
>>
kek
>>
>>456836
NOOOO THE ADVERTISERS
>>
>>456844
given lemonparty's purpose, the advertisement only adds value to the website
>>
>>456784
thanks for dying as quickly and silently as possible
>>
imagine the epic smoke machine setup at vape dude's wake.
>>
it's not cuul to juul in schuul
>>
>450 sickened
>33 dead
This is absolute fake news bullshit, but let's pretend for a moment like 33 people died from vaping birthday cake flavored mist for a second here... there are probably tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people in the globe that vape. Even if those bullshit citationless fake news numbers were real, it's a fraction of a single percent affected, and I'm certain there had to be some other factor that led to their sickness....or more unlikely, their deaths.
>>
>>456768
Did people actually need this?
One the first death was reported people should have been at least considering putting the vape down.
>>
>>457196

I mean, vaping is for absolute tools, but the recent panic over it is probably being partially exacerbated by cigarette companies who want their customers back. At least they can say you'll "only" die from using their product after thirty or forty years
>>
>>456784
They mean drawing conclusions about marijuana involvement.
>>
>>457201
but why would they specifically mention THC if it were tobbaco company propaganda ?
>>
Lol big tobacco suffering so much. Stop lumping all vaping together because people buy black market carts with mineral oil. Foh sure beats chain smoking dumbshits. I'll make my on decisions thru nicotine for god sakes worry about fucking pharma.
>>
I think it's more the temperature more then anything, apparently drinking hot tea everyday can double your chances of getting throat cancer.
>>
>>457196
>It's safe because some of the addicts don't drop dead immediately
>>
Friends don’t let friends buy Mario carts.
>>
Imagine being one of the people retarded enough to think that vaping was somehow healthy even though you are still inhaling foreign smoke into your lung sacs. Imagine actually and literally having zero education regarding biology.

A Darwin award shall be given for every vape related death.
>>
Yes vape bad smoke more cigarettes!
>>
Generally speaknig inhaling anything other than air into your lungs is a bad idea. People that smoke are already fucking their lungs up so I don't see the harm in them using vapes which are a lot safer but anyone that starts using a vape just to look cool is a tool.
>>
Another self-inflicted problem that the rest of us will have to pay to correct. All smokers, whether regular cigs or e-cigs are idiots and we should say hell with them.
>>
the only people getting hurt are people buying bootleg THC vape carts filled with Vitamin E oil, this is a made up non-issue by the strangely obsessive anti-nicotine lobby (which itself has never been proven to be linked to cancer)
>>
>>458330
>vape
>smoke
imagine being so stupid you don't know the difference between evaporation and combustion
>>
Should've just let us smoke weed bro
>>
>>456768
Vaping is absolutely healthier than smoking cigarettes. You just have to be pretty careful about how you do it. You can't vape all day every day like the greedy American piggie you are or you're going to cover your lungs in whatever is in the liquid. I found that jogging 3 days a week while vaping will force you to cough up a lot of the vapor phlegm. I still don't recommend smoking or vaping. The purest form of nicotine are products like Zyn which is crystalline nicotine with no carcinogens whatsoever, and no fiber glass.

If you've ever smoked cigarettes you're doing way more damage to your body than vaping though.
>>
>>456785
This is still an early story that I do not even think many people fully understand the causes and ramifications of. People are prone to jumping to conclusions before collecting all of the evidence. I think it was a fair warning to include.
>>
>>458521
The shards of plastic ending up in people's lungs disagree.

For all the long term harm cigarettes cause, they don't do shit like that.
>>
>>458456
put your money where your vape is and please kill yourself faster to prove it's safe
>>
>>458558
>The shards of plastic ending up in people's lungs disagree.
What?

Cigarettes kill hundreds of thousands of people annually. Admittedly we don't have any solid evidence of the long term effects of vaping yet, it probably does have some but no one can believe the effects will be as bad as we know cigarettes are. Cigarettes are bad enough that if you continue to smoke them they will most likely be the cause of your death. On top of that they can also harm other people who are near you. They're straight up poison
>>
>>458521
>the vapor phlegm
The phlegm is from stopping to smoke, it also happens when people stop smoking without vape. (Jogging is a recommended solution.)

>>458521
>no fiber glass
They've been using cotton for years now, fiber glass and plastic wicks are old tales from the era of modified torchlight. There is temperature control now to avoid burning it.

Pure nicotine is dangerous (overdose, including through skin, you need the full little chemist kit including air extraction), so it's always diluted in something. Zyn website says "'Other ingredients like fillers, acidity regulators, flavourings and sweetener are of food grade quality..." (so like vaping, except they don't give the exact composition.)

As long as it keeps you away from smoke, it's what matters.
>>
>>456818
Is this rejected lines for Bender?
>>
>>456768
vaping
>450 people ill, 5 dead
tobacco
>480,000 deaths per year

I think vaping is working as intended. Its not good for you, sure, but soccermoms cant understand "harm reduction" unless is literally a padded room.
>>
>>458797
Do cigarettes sicken and kill people in their teens and twenties?
>Most of the cases involved teens and young adults, but a third were middle-aged and older adults, Dr. Davis said. Of the 12 patients, 11 were known to have vaped T.H.C. products, he said.[...]In an especially severe case in Utah, a 21-year-old man had such serious lung damage that even a ventilator could not provide enough breathing help. Doctors had to connect him to a machine that pumped oxygen directly into his bloodstream to keep him alive.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/06/health/third-death-vaping-related-disease.html
>>
>>458486
This
>>
>>458814
So if 11 people die of drinking a cup of bleach, we should worry about cups?

Look, I'll spell it out for you :
>Vaping safe eliquid is safe.
>Vaping "oil" from the black market is dangerous.

I might as well add:
>There are vaporisers for weed and hashish, don't vape "oil"
>Stay away from people who call any yellowish liquid "oil", above all don't accept food from them.
>Inhaling fats can give lipid pneumonia, don't fucking vape oil.
>>
>>458827
You can get sick from shitty vapors. For example, the vapor in Vuses new Alto really made me cough and I got a sore throat from it on both sides of my throat.

Juul seems fine but it does hurt my lungs.
>>
These news stories have certainly put a scare in me, but nothing reported in my state, I've been doing this shit for 5 years now, I'm pretty moderate about it, and this shit is still leagues healthier than a cigarette.

Kids shouldn't be doing this shit though, and honestly try not to smoke a god damn thing until your early 20s when your lungs are done developing.
>>
>>456768
i quit juul and felt so much better. 10x more energy.
>>
>>456819
I believe you are thinking of Mad Cow disease.
>>
If you're gonna vape, do it the right way and not through these juul and other companies pod and cartridge bullshit. Damn kids ruining everything.

Also lol at everyone here supporting big tabacoo, like that's anywhere remotely better.
>>
>>458854
Jull doesn't have vit E oil in it. You're far more likely to fuck yourself trying to go with a rando proprietary blend with massive lung coating clouds.
>>
>>458855
I guess I'm just lumping juul into this as they have been a big reason vape has gotten a bad rep. The place I get my juice has been making it in house for years so I'm safe as far as I'm concerned.

It is mostly caused by bootleg stuff, isn't it? That makes sense never trust bootleg drugs.
>>
>>458859
THC vapes. Theres also DMT vapes but i doubt that could possibly be an issue for most people.
>>
>>458867
Ya my THC Vapes are all from dispensaries. Probably safe.

I'm all for more oversight and regulations though. Just don't make me smoke a cigarette those are gross.
>>
>>458869
i would definitely get those THC vapes checked out.
>>
>>458869
>Probably safe.
Not really, some don't check their products enough. Almost everyone in the THC vape industry consider vaping oil to be safe because they're not dead yet (I could say the same thing from cigarettes), while nicotine vapers consider that using literal oil as base is plain stupid.

Vaping concentrate (crystals/shatter/dab/resin/...) or heat-not-burn grass sounds safer.
>>
>>458879
even if you put oil in your mouth without something to bind it to, it will sit on the back of your throat and drip into your lungs, causing pnemonia and death. Seriously, some of these idiot soccer moms make their kids swish around oil in their mouths.
>>
>>458879
>THC vape industry
I meant community.
>>
>>457196
In the globe? Are we turning this into a hollow earth thread?
>>
>>458330
>Foreign smoke...
>biology
>you
>a complete dud
do you know how vapor is produced or do you suck foreign dick on the daily?
>>
https://www.wisn.com/article/wisconsin-brothers-accused-of-running-thc-vape-ring/21237014

Relevant
>>
>>457201
You mean PHarma.
People using vaping are probably not using nicotine patch and nicorette anymore.
Nicotine replacement therapy is a huge market.
>The global smoking cessation and nicotine de-addiction market is expected to reach over USD 21.8 billion by 2024 according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc.
https://www.grandviewresearch.com/press-release/global-smoking-cessation-nicotine-de-addiction-market
>>
>>456827
Likely due to the large quantity being supplied, but then why would it have taken this long to surface?
>>
oops....

"The U.S. government has refined how it is measuring an outbreak of breathing illnesses in people who vape, now counting only cases that are most closely linked to electronic cigarette use. Health officials on Thursday said 380 confirmed cases and probable cases have been reported in 36 states and one U.S. territory.

That marks a decrease from the 450 cited last week, when officials were also including "possible" cases."
>>
>>459381
They should also stop counting the death of that 50+ year old person who had a shit ton of other health issues as well.
>>
Just don't buy black market shit you morons. I'm not even trying to say vaping isn't bad or whatever but the media is really trying to pull one over on us with this. Should have been obvious when they refused to give specifics.
>>
6 vaping deaths. all of them had liquids that were illegal. think about the smoking deaths. just fuck off mainstream cuckdia
>>
>>459487
yea he was fucked prior to vaping.
>>
>>458814
>Do cigarettes sicken and kill people in their teens and twenties?
They probably do, they kill hundreds of thousands a year.
>>
>>459541
>6 people die from contaminants in illegal drugs
>Trump immediately bans all vaping

is anyone on the right ready to admit yet that Trump is an idiot who acts on impulse without thinking things through? How many examples do you need?
>>
>>459592
>is anyone on the right ready to admit yet that Trump is an idiot
anyone who hasn't by now is a redditor
>>
If you legalize weed and regulate the cartridges, you solve the problem.

If you force even more prohibition bullshit, especially to stuff that is only related by association, you'll make the problem worse.
>>
>>458881
most people get the urge to swallow when a liquid trickles towards their epiglottis, no ones ever gotten lipoid pneumonia from oil pulling without accidentally inhaling the entire mouthful(if even that has happened)
>>
>>459545
The largest and longest medical study, The British Doctor's survey found otherwise. Over 70 years of tracking the habits and health of British people in the medical profession, the survey came up with all sorts of interesting statistics, one of those was that people in the survey who smoked, but quit smoking at age 35 or younger had no greater likelihood of respiratory illness during their lifetimes than people who never smoked.
The peer reviewed scientific literature disagrees with the made-up assumption you just pulled out of your ass and has numbers to back it up, what did you base your assumption on? Decades of exposure to lies and half truths in the yellow press?
>>
>>458785
Rejected lines from a bender
>>
POLITICO: Trump responds to one vaping crisis by attacking another.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/14/donald-trump-vaping-crisis-marijuana-1733703
>>
Wowowow half a million cigarette related deaths and people are flipping their shit over under a dozen e cigg deaths. I personally don't like the things but jesus christ this is retarded.
>>
>>460597
same people who are up in arms over vaping also want you to believe that they're cleaning up the environment by spending a decade and a half concentrating all of their efforts exclusively on the big plastic straw problem.
>>
Governments need to stall coz they are missing out on their slice of the vaping pie. They need to legislate large chunks of the industry into their pockets somehow. You know, like cigarettes and booze.
>>
National Review: The Absurd Campaign against Vaping.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/09/absurd-campaign-against-vaping/
>>
Another big bust

AZFamily: Sheriff’s Office busts illegal THC vape cartridge operation in north Phoenix.
https://www.azfamily.com/news/sheriff-s-office-busts-illegal-thc-vape-cartridge-operation-in/article_16d9501a-da44-11e9-bcad-472669780f57.html
>>
>>460633
And marijuana
The only reason it's being stalled in places that want to legalize it is because they don't want to bend over for big growers and corporate distributors

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.