[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/news/ - Current News

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 16 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

>Trump official: Statue of Liberty poem is about Europeans

https://apnews.com/290fe000b4584ddca46a6eb36a74a703?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=AP_Politics&utm_source=Twitter

WASHINGTON (AP) — A top Trump administration official says that the famous inscription on the Statue of Liberty welcoming immigrants into the country is about “people coming from Europe” and that America is looking to receive migrants “who can stand on their own two feet.”

The comments on Tuesday from Ken Cuccinelli, the acting director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, came a day after the Trump administration announced it would seek to deny green cards to migrants who seek Medicaid, food stamps, housing vouchers or other forms of public assistance. The move, and Cuccinelli’s defense, prompted an outcry from Democrats and immigration advocates who said the policy would favor wealthier immigrants and disadvantage those from poorer countries in Latin America and Africa.

“This administration finally admitted what we’ve known all along: They think the Statue of Liberty only applies to white people,” tweeted former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke, a Democratic presidential candidate.

The administration’s proposed policy shift comes as President Donald Trump is leaning more heavily into the restrictive immigration policies that have energized his core supporters and were central to his 2016 victory. He has also spoken disparagingly about immigration from majority black and Hispanic countries, including calling Mexican immigrants rapists and criminals when he launched his 2016 campaign. Last year, he privately branded Central American and African nations as “shithole” countries and he suggested the U.S. take in more immigrants from European countries like predominantly white Norway.
>>
Cuccinelli said in an interview with CNN on Tuesday night that the Emma Lazarus poem emblazoned on the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty referred to “people coming from Europe where they had class based societies where people were considered wretched if they weren’t in the right class.”

Lazarus’ poem, written in 1883 to raise money to construct the Statue of Liberty’s pedestal and cast in bronze beneath the monument in 1903, served as a beacon to millions of immigrants who crossed past as they first entered the U.S. in New York Harbor. It reads, “Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.”

Cuccinelli was asked earlier Tuesday on NPR whether the words “give me your tired, your poor” were part of the American ethos. Cuccinelli responded: “They certainly are. Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge.”

A hard-line conservative from Virginia, Cuccinelli was a failed Republican candidate for governor in 2013 after serving as the state’s attorney general. He backed Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas for president in 2016 and for a time was a harsh critic of Trump.
>>
He is one of a slew of immigration hardliners brought in by Trump to implement the president’s policies. He was appointed to the post in June in a temporary capacity, which doesn’t require Senate confirmation.

Trump, asked Tuesday about Cuccinelli’s comments on NPR, appeared to back him up.

“I don’t think it’s fair to have the American taxpayer paying for people to come into the United States,” Trump told reporters before boarding Air Force One for Pennsylvania. “I think we’re doing it right.”

Immigrant rights groups strongly criticized the Trump administration’s new rules for immigrants receiving public assistance, warning that the changes would scare immigrants away from asking for needed help. And they voiced concern that officials were being given too much authority to decide whether someone is likely to need public assistance in the future.

Another Democratic presidential candidate, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, also condemned Cuccinelli’s comments.

“Our values are etched in stone on the Statue of Liberty. They will not be replaced,” she tweeted. “And I will fight for those values and for our immigrant communities.”
>>
THE STATUE OF LIBERTY WAS MADE FOR THE SUEZE CANAL BUT THE MOLSEMS DID NOT WANT IT SO IT WAS SENT TO AMERICA.
>>
>>446028
So you're saying the statue is a refugee?

How fitting. The poem does give her the name 'Mother of Exiles'.
>>
>>446035
To think I would be born in a time when someone would unironically decry one of the finest summations of the American identity as 'Yiddish fanfic'.

You are a pox on this nation.
>>
>>446047
>pome

Second of all, the poem was written specifically to raise money for the statue's construction. During an economic recession.

And there it stands more than a century later.

I sense some disconnect between reality and your opinion. Perhaps you'd rather...tear it down?
>>
>>446053
>Fundraising for the statue had begun in 1882. The committee organized a large number of money-raising events.[83] As part of one such effort, an auction of art and manuscripts, poet Emma Lazarus was asked to donate an original work. She initially declined, stating she could not write a poem about a statue. At the time, she was also involved in aiding refugees to New York who had fled anti-Semitic pogroms in eastern Europe. These refugees were forced to live in conditions that the wealthy Lazarus had never experienced. She saw a way to express her empathy for these refugees in terms of the statue.[84] The resulting sonnet, "The New Colossus", including the iconic lines: "Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free", is uniquely identified with the Statue of Liberty and is inscribed on a plaque in its museum.[85]

He shoots he scores.
>>
>>446057
Khan, Yasmin Sabina (2010). Enlightening the World: The Creation of the Statue of Liberty. Ithaca, New York: Cornell University Press. ISBN 978-0-8014-4851-5.
Pp.163-176.

Moreno, Barry (2000). The Statue of Liberty Encyclopedia. New York City: Simon & Schuster. ISBN 978-0-7385-3689-7.
Pp.172-175.
>>
>>446019
Why should America be the only country in the world to take in poor people? You couldn't name a non 3rd world country that does the same. I realize libtards love lowering standards, hence women unqualified to carry a hose shooting high pressure water let alone an adult male(worst case scenario), proclaiming everyone deserves an equal shot at life but lowering testing scores for blacks because they can't hang...etc "libtard compassion", but hey America needs poor people that give no shits (as opposed to the poor people that put in the hard work and dedication to get here legally bring those people on and deport liberals).
>>
>>446061
This is a much better argument for high standards than actually attempting to rewrite history. Bravo.

That being said, if we set the standard to that were not going to GET any immigrants. People don't leave their homeland looking for a better life if their life is already pretty good.
>>
>>446065
>(((DA JUICE)))

Well, that was quick. We're done here.
>>
>>446073
Come back when you can actually refute my sources instead of just bellowing antisemitic nonsense.
>>
>>446067
Canada (liberal paradise, like San Fran but with less homeless and street shitting) has high standards so high infact most liberals do not qualify plus thier ridiculous timeline of 10 years(not sure about that part). That's unreasonable if it is that. There should be vetting (no criminals, no absolute lack of background), a probation period while in the US. None of this hey bring your family. If they all applied and they all qualify that's not an issue but as I, and probably mistakenly believe, one asshat gets his foot in the door here then the rest of the 500 members of the family get a free pass. Meanwhile my brown dreamer friend is paying 5k every 2 years to stay here, I met him at work so I knows he has a job but some retard that ran across open ground gets caught and released.
>>
>>446019
I suppose its true since that is where immigrants were coming from at the time.
>>
>>446028
>SUEZE
WTF IS A SUEZE
JAGOFF
>>
>>446076
You are indeed mistaken. The process you describe takes decades and tens of thousands of dollars - and that's assuming it works.

Step 1: immigrant A wishes for legal entry.
Step 2: immigrant A applies for a working permit (a green card). This is not the only way for this to happen but it's the most relevant right now. This process is neither fast not cheap.
>delay 1, cost 1
Step 3. Immigrant A receives his card and migrates. He works stateside for several years before he is eligible for naturalization.
>delay 2
Step 3. Immigrant A applies for naturalization. He must remain at a specific residence during the entire time his case is processed and pay all fees associated.
>delay 3, cost 2
Step 4: immigrant A is naturalized and becomes citizen A. Citizen A now wishes to bring his family with him to join his new life. He must apply for each individual - the process is expedited, but not by much. It still costs time, and it still costs money.
>delay 4, cost 3/4/5/etc depending on how many family members

It's not simple at all. And of course now the administration is attempting to make it even harder.
>>
>>446077
>what are Chinese railroad workers
To name just one.
>>
>>446076
>Canada (liberal paradise, like San Fran but with less homeless and street shitting)
Never been to Vancouver
>>
Thank you, mods!
>>
>>446091
Ordinarily you'd expect a Republican to hate Canada's guts thanks to their very liberal refugee policy. But anything goes when you're trying to shit on California.
>>
I always find it funny how /pol/ thinks the immigration laws actually are easy to navigate and the courts aren't purposely handicapped while ignoring how trivial it is to get in with money
>>
So many dumbass views and not enough bullets.
>>
>>446118
>not enough bullets
Considering there are more guns than people here I'd venture to guess we have too much ammo for those guns
>>
>>446117
It's just mental gymnastics. Their real goal is to reduce immigrant count PERIOD. So they make legal immigration harder for bullshit clerical reasons then balk at all these OBVIOUS CRIMINALS DURR who are desperate enough to flaunt their bullshit rules.

Demoralize, criminalize, dehumanize. It's the same old song and dance.
>>
>>446019
Hes not wrong.
>>
>>446124
Only if you're deliberately not paying attention.

The New Colossus was written to highlight the plight of the immigrant, and inspired by the state of Jewish refugees fleeing pogroms in eastern Europe.

The economic status of these people was never a factor. They were in need of a place to live. That was it.

To support Cucinelli's position, you would need to find proof that Lazarus felt that refugees should be able to provide for themselves prior to being admitted. Otherwise, he's talking out of his ass.
>>
Open borders will effectively eliminate the existence of the United States. Anyone promoting this is an enemy of the US and should be dealt with accordingly.
>>
>>446127
Also keep in mind, those fleeing from Central America are facing similar plights like those from the New Colosssus. To the point knowing that their kids will be kidnapped and they'll all be put into concentration camps is still seen as a better alternative.

Either way, this is brazenly racist by Trump to say it only matters to Europeans, I.E. white people. But at this point, it's just more evidence towards it.
>>
>>446133
Not just Europeans, and not just white people, but SPECIFIC white people. A definition that once excluded the Irish, Germans, and many other nationalities.

The identity of a racist is naturally exclusive. They cannot naturally grow as a people, only shrink.

Give this a watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Luu1Beb8ng
>>
"Yearning to breathe free" is not the same as "yearning to be burdensome indigent living off government handouts for survival"
>>
>>446131
yes
>>
>>446159
Too bad the sonnet doesn't actually say that then hmm?
>>
>>446131
How about open digital borders? #moscowmitch
>>
>>446136
Of course, remember when Trump was asked where he wanted people to migrate from, the first group that popped into his head were Norwegians.
https://www.vox.com/2018/1/11/16880750/trump-immigrants-shithole-countries-norway
>>
>>446232
Norwegians everywhere winced in response to that.
>>
>>446159
Then anyone who votes Republican should be given zero aid from the government. No medicare, no medicaid, no loans backed by the government, no food stamps, no social security.
Let them actually put their money where their mouth is with the bootstrap meme.
>>
>>446250
That's a laugh. Like 9/10ths of all red states operate on a defecit and gobble up federal dollars like it's candy.
>>
>>446252
That's the point, the people who want to lock out others claiming they would burden the system are the biggest parasites.
>>
>>446252
Incidentally which states have a large black population again? Must be just a coincidence.
>>
>>446282
>in 2016, the states where federal aid comprised the largest share of general revenue were Mississippi (43.4 percent), Louisiana (42.7 percent), New Mexico (41.2 percent), Arizona (41.2 percent), and Kentucky (40.9 percent).
If you want to look up the ethnicities be my guest. Pretty sure Montana and Kentucky are the whitest fucking states in the union though.
>>
>>446288
Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Montana is 40.6%
>>
>>446076
>None of this hey bring your family.
Isn't that what the First Lady did, though?
>>
>>446288
Poltards on suicide watch

Cameras malfunctioning

Guards haven’t checked on them in 3 hours.
>>
France should engage in epic bants by bidding on the statue
>>
>>446294
kek

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.