[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/news/ - Current News

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1557097379172.png (8 KB, 308x296)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
https://web.archive.org/web/20190515125923/https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/15/politics/trump-drug-importation-florida/index.html
The President is embracing a controversial Florida proposal to import drugs from Canada, which Republicans have long opposed and many health experts have questioned.
The measure -- backed by Florida Republicans Gov. Rick DeSantis and Rep. Matt Gaetz, both close Trump allies -- requires federal approval. Trump has spoken highly of the idea and has told Azar to pursue the issue as a way to reduce the cost of prescription drugs.
"The President directed the secretary to work with Florida to get a plan approved," Gaetz said, who hopes the measure can then be replicated in other states. "I expect that will occur."
"And now [drug prices are] going to be going down a long way further, including the fact that we may allow states to buy drugs in other countries if we can buy them for a lesser price -- substantially less price," Trump said. "So we will allow them, with certain permissions, to go to other countries if they can buy them for 40, 50, 60% less."
>>
>>398695
It's weird that Nobody has responded to is in the last four hours. Because in the last thread, people were saying that if Trump was serious, he'd do this.
Bump so everyone can applaud this directive
>>
Nice!
>>
>Archive
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/15/politics/trump-drug-importation-florida/index.html

>>398813
Unlike the paid shills who spam /news/ to push an agenda, most /news/men don't watch /news/ 24/7.

At this point given his history, it's hard to say if this is just Trump doing something for political points. Although to be fair, and because you didn't mention it, Trump appears to have signed off on Colorado's plan to do the same thing and that was just signed into law by the state, we'll see if DeSantis gets enough support to pass his version, so I'll rule out this is strictly partisan where Trump is helping out one of his acolytes.
https://news.bloomberglaw.com/health-law-and-business/colorado-law-begins-process-of-importing-drugs-from-canada
https://kdvr.com/2019/05/10/polis-says-trump-will-allow-colorado-to-import-drugs-from-canada/

But I'm thinking Trump is only doing this so he can have a 'win' with healthcare due to the fact unless you can sell the same snake oil to the American people twice, since he's run into a buzz saw with his latest attempt to destroy Obamacare and he needs any type of
'win' now.

We'll have to see if this goes anywhere since the right wing and corporate America are shitting themselves over this. Look at this hit piece from conservative sites like the Hill and Forbes.
https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/443288-dont-import-prescription-drugs
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnlamattina/2019/05/15/importing-drugs-from-canada-not-viable-for-lowering-u-s-prices/#afc07655dcdb
>>
>>398867
>But I'm thinking Trump is only doing this so he can have a 'win' with healthcare
>but I'm thinking Lincoln is only emancipating the slaves so he can have a win with abolitionists
>>
>>398867
I'm getting tired of all of Trumps winning too.
Enough is enough, I'm tired of winning
>>
>>398959
Im reminded of a Patton Oswalt bit from ~2009
>At the end of Obamas administration in 7 years I bet there will still be like 2 die hard racists that just cant give it up
>Flying cars, cancer cured by over the counter meds, space faring society
>And these two hillbillies are still racists with shit like "leave it to a coon to make state issued sexbots that break after only 5 years now I gots ta be at the dmv all afternoon"
>"I know right? Fuckin porch monkey making me have to go all the way to the hospital to get my sons eyeballs regrew and it still costs $6"
Its funnier to me now than it was then because Im literally watching it happen
>Yeah wages are on an upward trend again finally but he hasnt fixed 40 years of wealth inequality
>Yeah hes doing something about drug prices but people are still dying
>Yeah its the first administration that hasnt dropped us into a new endless quagmire (so far) in decades but one of his advisors suggested bombing iran and I dont think Trump said no hard enough
>>
>>398998

Trump is going to do Trump things, he'll claim to SOLVE THE PROBLEM and then walk away and the problem will still be there.

Happened with North Korea, JOBS, The Wall and every other promise he's made.

Fixing systemic issues in America would involve getting rich people mad. Nobody is willing to do that.
>>
>>399043
>JOBS, The Wall
Unless jobs is an acronym hes actually doing very well in that department. The pentagon has approved the first 256 miles of new wall and we already have a shitload of "repaired" wall where chain link fences and vehicle barriers were replaced with actual wall.
>>
>>398695
Coukd this just be solved with universal healthcare?
>>
>>399061
I have so many memes about the UK's NHS if that ever becomes a real proposal
>>
>>399118
And yet it's still better than American Healthcare.
>>
>>399050
He promised a 2000 mile concrete wall.
All he's gotten is stealing money from the troops for some fences.

It's worse than what >>399043 says because Trump creates problems and then creates a 'solution' to fix them.
>>
>>398813
i think Trump is an idiot, but this actually seems like a great proposal. i have to think there's some ulterior motive, but the only ulterior motive i can think of is him wanting to actually do something right for reelection purposes. it certainly doesnt sound like a normal republican plan because it undermines US pharma businesses
>>
>>398998
>wages are on an upward trend again finally
sauce?
>>
>>399061
lower drug prices will help universal healthcare as being viable, at least
>>
From my understanding Canada’s government is able to negotiate with companies for cheaper drugs, why don’t we cut the middle men out and stop acting cucked to big pharma and negotiate?
>>
>>399415
because thats communism of course. pharma companies have to be able to do whatever they want if we don't want to end up in bread lines
>>
>Trump 'winning'
The courts, he and the Republicans stacked, disagree.
https://www.propublica.org/article/president-donald-trump-losses-fred-barbash-washington-post-q-and-a
>>
>>399397
>It doesn't sound like a major party plan since it undermines US pharma
FTFY. Both sides are in Pharmas pocket
>>
>>399924
And don't forget, when we have someone stand up for the people against Big Pharma, you have /pol/ppet propaganda like this to undermine them.
>>399255
>>
>>399939
Calm down friend. No need to aid the shills in pushing divisive, partisan rhetoric. Don't be their useful idiot
>>
>>399945
I'm calling a spade a spade, only those on the left actually want to break the system but the centrists and right wing will fight them tooth and nail to keep the status quo.
>>
>>399978
Which is a good thing. Unfettered changes to the status quo are as, if not more, destructive than stagnation. A blend of both is needed. A group to push for steady improvements and another to slow then down to ensure that the implementation of said changes is as ideal as possible.
>>
>>399984
>t. Faggot who was in favor of Bush's no string attached bail out of wall street after they and the Republicans crashed the economy.
All you want to do is change the system and leave those already in power and making money to stay in power and making money.
Fuck that. We need a real market disrupter that forces those corporations that only undermine the American people to adapt or die.
>>
>>400004
Ah, the throw shit at a wall and see what sticks approach. High risk strategies is not exactly the way to run a successful country. But hey if you are a misanthropic accelerationist there isn't really much I can say to dissuade you.
>>
>>399400
Universal healthcare would drastically lower prices
That's the point
>>
>>400451
>not if the pharma corps are able to charge whatever they want, but now with a guaranteed customer that can afford it
The government already negotiates with drug companies on prices for medicare. This is not a problem.
>>
>>399924
shit, you're right. good to know Bernie backed this bill, though obviously he's more of an independant
https://www.rollcall.com/politics/pharma-booker-canada
>>
>>401314
Bernie dies NOT represent the Will of the democrats
>>
>>399347
Universal health care is a trap. Here in Canada you have to wait for everything no matter how much you pay in taxes. The poor get everything and pay nothing. Fuck we even waste tax money on saving drug addicts.
>>
>>402235
it takes months for me to see a doctor here in the us, and i dont pay for healthcare, so whats the difference?
>>
>>402235
Yeah, but it's free and great quality.
Source: grew up in Toronto. Only had to pay for the medicine itself, and for when I needed dental.
>>
>>402245
It's not free you fuck. Where do you think your taxs go. With a name like universal you think dental, eye, and physio/chiro would be covered. We let the fuckin refugees get it all covered under our dollar. Like right now I got a compressed disc in between my l2 l3, doctor says you need physio, fuckin $87 a pop. If you think that's great your a retard.
>mentions that he is from Ontario.
Nevermind.
>>
>>402235
I got a feeling if we had flags on /news/, you wouldn't have leaf.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.