[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/news/ - Current News

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 23 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: 1552368645905.jpg (49 KB, 583x438)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/03/congress-votes-reverse-trump-declaration-border-wall-190314172505702.html

The US Senate has voted 59-41 to reverse President Donald Trump's emergency declaration to spend $8bn to build a wall on its border with Mexico.

The vote on Thursday set up the first veto showdown of Trump's presidency and a major political issue for the 2020 election.

Despite last minute personal appeals from Trump and a White House lobbying campaign, 12 Republicans broke with the president to join the Democrats in voting against the wall.

The margin, however, fell short of what would be needed to override a Trump veto which the US president is likely to do, according to his tweet sent a few minutes after the Senate decision.
>>
>>368158
It's still a massive defeat for Trump that so many Republicans rebelled.
And it puts the rest of them on the record for abandoned their duty to the Constitution.

Also, it puts the 12 that did vote to end Trump's fake emergency in a bind where they have to vote to override the veto now or be branded as flip floppers.

Even if it fails, this is still a major defeat for the Republicans.
>>
>>368165
>branded as flip floppers
Depends on their constituents, if they are in a moderate state they can claim it without it ever needing to do something that mattered in the end.
>>
Thank you mr Trump for finally building the wall
>>
>>368165
The only thing that's gonna be defeated is those 12 Republicans in their reelection bids.
>>
>>368165
>we lost but look at Blumpf

Lel
>>
>>368184
They're not up for reelection in 2020. That's why they were willing to vote against Trump.
>>
>>368192
>trump just handed the next Democratic president the ability to unilaterally declare climate change and gun violence to be national emergencies
>trumptards think this is anything like a victory
>>
>>368195
Fair point. Susan Collins is, but she already revealed herself to be a turncoat on the wall spending vote. Lamar Alexander would be as well but he already announced he's not running for reelection.
>>
>>368196
My gentleman companion of swarthy complexion, there's nothing unprecedented about declaring a state of emergency. The next Dem president (if there ever is one) would be inclined to do that anyway, and there's nothing more or less to stop him now.
>>
>>368196
>climate change
It's global, not national emergency, if India and China will not fall in line, you can shove it up your ass
>gun violence
That's racist
>>
>>368200
I think you're missing the point. The point is not whether or not these things are actual emergencies. The point is that if all it takes to seize billions of dollars against Congress's will is for a president to simply decide that something is an emergency regardless of overwhelming evidence that it is not then the entirety of the checks and balances system will unravel.
>>
>>368200
Thanks to Trump, your opinion on what is and is not an emergency doesn't matter.
>>
>>368199
>The next Dem president (if there ever is one) would be inclined to do that anyway
>look at this imaginary alternate universe i made up where the democrats did it, that makes it okay
>>
>>368231
It was never not okay to begin with.
>>
>>368199
Actually if Trump is stopped, then yes that precedent would be there. Assuming Trump and the republicans don't destroy America given Trump wants to be a dictator and he gets away with this power grade, that will give Democrats the license to shut down the fossil fuel industry and start grabbing guns.

And you'll only have the Republicans to blame for that.
>>
>>368248
If the Dems can stop him then the GOP should have no trouble stopping the next president. Assuming the Dem can win without them importing more voters from Mexico, of course.
>>
>>368242
Conservative revisionists: shitting on the Constitution since basically forever.
>>
>>368252
Better tell CNN, I don't think they got the memo.
https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/12/politics/national-emergencies-trump-opioid/index.html
>>
>>368257
How many of these involve the President hijacking Congress's spending authority?
>>
>>368261
About as many as have ever happened.
>>
>>368265
You spelled "zero" wrong.
>>
>>368278
Isn't that what I said?
>>
>>368278
a declaration involves allocation of funds

thats the main point
>>
>>368200
>a problem for the world isnt a problem for a nation
>>
>>368250
source on illegal mexicans voting?
>>
>>368396
Common sense. Why else are the dims so obsessed with having open borders? It's to get more power by bringing in more voters.
>>
>>368399
That's not a source.
>>
>>368396
Hard to say exactly how many illegals vote since some states lack voter ID laws and there's no citizenship question on the census, but the number is certainly more than zero. Check this out:
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jan/30/pennsylvania-11000-non-citizens-registered-vote/
>>
>>368250
If the Dems stop Trump, that's the end of this power grab, if they don't and the Republican Supreme Court declares the power grab legal.
Kiss your guns goodbye.
>>
>>368442
>if they don't and the Republican Supreme Court declares the power grab legal.
Kiss your guns goodbye.
There's a huge difference in legal precedent between funding a construction project and confiscating guns, and I'm sure the Supreme Court would agree. Why are you calling it a "power grab" anyway? He hasn't done anything outside his own legal authority.
>>
>>368445
No there isn't, both are giant power grabs, the difference is Trump's power grab is against the Constitution because appropriation is the duty of Congress only. Hell, any congressmen that votes in favor of the fake emergency could be expelled from Congress because they are intentionally abandoning their duty to uphold the Constitution by allowing the Executive branch to get away with this unlawful power play.
>>
>>368440
Look don't you get it?
Russia by existing undermines our elections, the entire race is off limits to talk to, they're a hive mind where everyone of Russian descent is taking orders from Putin
Having non US citizens registered to vote and voting doesn't undermine the sanctity of our elections. And if you're wanting voter ID you're the racist, because black people can't be expected to act like the rest of us and get ID like a normal person
>>
>>368440
>and there's no citizenship question on the census,
As has been the case for the entire history of our country. The census is not intended to measure only citizens and the question is irrelevant for any other purpose.
>>
>>368447
>Trump's power grab is against the Constitution because appropriation is the duty of Congress only
Where the hell does it say that? Not that it matters because he's not appropriating new funds anyway, he's just using funds Congress already approved in the defense bill.

>>368642
Holy crap dude.
https://cis.org/Richwine/History-Census-Bureaus-Birthplace-and-Citizenship-Questions-One-Table
>Traditionally, Census questionnaires have asked only for basic demographic information, since burdening everyone with a long set of questions would cost too much time and money. In the mid-twentieth century, the Census Bureau devised a way to obtain more detailed data in a cost-effective manner. It added supplemental questions — the "long form" — that would be answered by a representative subset of the population. After 1950, both the birthplace and the citizenship questions were removed from the full census and demoted to the long form. The birthplace question moved to the long form in 1960, while the citizenship question began appearing on the long form in 1970.
Why wouldn't we want to know how many residents of the country are legal citizens? There's no such thing as useless information.
>>
>>369041
Article I, Section 8 you Constitutional illiterate. You can't get money and decide it goes to something else on a whim.
>>
Speaking of Trump being a piece of shit. He just played damage control for White Nationalists after one of the worst terrorist attacks in New Zealand history.
https://www.apnews.com/a1fa7fd40d2a427fac6a04e0ba113f25
>>
>>368399
You could have just said you don't have any source
>>
>>369194
Since I'm a Constitutional illiterate I'm gonna need you to point out for me where it says "Only Congress decides what gets done with money, never the President".
https://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A1Sec8.html
>>
>>369205
Here
>>368440
>>
The reason "the wall" is such an appeling concept is simplicity.

Trump fanboys simply, fundamentally, do not have the capacity to deal with complex problems; or at least, the maturity to attempt mentally wrapping their heads around such.

The reality of a situation or dilemma is preferably ignored; the thought and effort it would take to identify, plan, and enact a truly effective solution, is infinitely less appealing- and brutishly satisfying- than a sloppy but grandiose, inneffectual but visual, slipshod bandaid of a plan.
>>
>>369249
>I am a pseud and I want everyone to know it
>>
>>369487
He's right and I'm sorry you felt personally attacked by it.
>>
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/c/c3/L3-2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20180905051232
Freedom!
Congratulations, you're liberated.
>>
>>369494
Sure thing, samefag.
>>
>>369249
I don’t disagree, but you say that like every other voting base is able to make complex thought, which they clearly also cannot. I hate trump shills as much as the next guy, but being a Hegelian reactionary makes you pretty much the same thing.
>>
So, they voted heavily against the wall and it didn't pass, and THEN voted against the president's "call for emergency!" which was just "WEEEH I wanna do this! I command you to do this!" and no matter what it's still gonna get made?

How can one man have all that fucking power?
>>
>>370074
congress delegated it to him when they passed various bills, believing it would be used wisely and judiciously (har har) and doesn't have the political will currently to take it away
>>
>>370077
It really just takes one manbaby in the white house.
Are they just gonna keep ignoring this ever happened in the future or are they gonna nerf presidential powers, you think?
>>
>>370074
Because Republicucks let him get away with everything
>>
thank you for all the redditors and chapo traphouse volunteers who helped me to understand this issue. 4chan had been corrupting my vulnerable brain previously but now I understand this issue much more clearly, and can see that this is the beginning of the end for Trump
>>
>>369541
>Hegelian
*takes a bow*

Ah, a man of culture! Thank you for bringing your large and educated mind down into out humble pit of ignorance. We could use more posts by enlightened chaps like yourself in the future.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.