[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/news/ - Current News

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47163840

>How does it reverse climate change?

>When a forest grows, the trees absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and use it to make their wood.

>If you burn that wood, the process doesn’t emit any extra CO2 into the atmosphere - because the trees removed it from the air in the first place. It’s called carbon neutral.

>If you go one step further by capturing the CO2 from wood burning, you’re actually reducing the amount of carbon in the atmosphere overall.

>In an ideal world you’d go one step further by creating useful products from the waste CO2.
>>
>>354370
>creating useful products from the waste CO2
Such as?
>>
>>354422
OIL TO BURN!
>>
the atmosphere needs more CO2 not less you fucking idiots
>>
>>354442
I hope that's sarcasm.
>>
>>354422
Possibility 1: various non-oil-based plastics.
We're not going to stop using plastics anytime soon, just need to produce them from more sustainable sources.
>>
I want to invest in this when it starts what companies to look for?
>>
>>354514
Do you have any idea how this is done? I.e. the synthesis of long chain hydrocarbons from free gas?
>>
>>354370
>>354515
im with you, ive been following this tech closely
Carbon Engineering is the one to watch in the US
this article is about Drax Power
>>
>>354515
Market Summary > DRAX GRP PLC/ADR
OTCMKTS: DRXGY
10.23 USD +1.94 (23.40%)
KA FUcKING CHING
>>
>>354454
What? We're not on Mars.
>>
>>354509
Nope, any technology we create to concentrate enough free carbon to effectively store just needs a half step to make more fuel.
>>
>>354521
chemical reactions, as usual
that's how plants make their carbs, we can reproduce the process - for a price that, unsurprisingly, no industry is (currently) willing to pay
>>
>>354657
>>354658
That "half step" requires at least as much energy to form the bonds as is released in their burning. It requires a lot of energy. And where does energy come from...?
>>
>>354509
Biogas is actually a great idea if we have good managed forestry and maybe technological carbon recapture. Gasoline engines are quite clean and efficient nowadays, we just need to start budgeting the carbon effectively.
>>
>>354682
>good managed forestry
Constant wildfires in CA show that to be a no.
>technological carbon recapture
As previously mentioned, this does not exist. And cannot exist. Outside of a complete conversion to nuclear power. Such already solves the "problem."
>Biogas is actually a great idea
No. No it's not.
>>
>>354685
>Constant wildfires in CA show that to be a no.
Californian here. The majority of our forests revolve around shrub undergrowth and operate on a decade cycle of growth into burn with a rest period; see fire ecology. However, it is exacerbated by the effects of climate change with droughts being one of the largest factors.
>>
>>354688
Also exacerbated by hipsters trying to protect eucalyptus trees that make things worse.
>>
>>354685
You're making some pretty standoffish claims, can you elaborate?
>>
>>354539
>>354537
What's the most convenient way to invest?
T. Poorfag and idiot

Is that Robin Hood thing any good?
>>
>>354669
of course, no beating thermodynamics after all
anyway, living cells have been doing it for a while with acceptable efficiency and byproducts
the only wall is rentability, and industry currently refuses to use the cleaner chemical pathways because they're more expensive
they'll only move when it's economically attractive to do so
>>
>>354712
>T. Poorfag and idiot
you'll get swindled of everything you still have, get away from this stuff
>>
>>354744
I gotta do something man I'm going to be stuck like this forever
I literally don't have the time or money to go back to school, even then that's a crapshoot in of itself. it's either I pay the lotto or I sell drugs at this point

And I'm not talking about slap on the wrist this is your first offense. I'm talking about hardcore shit man
>>
>>354370
As a fascist, I hope this carbon capture project is successful, and we can begin healing the environment.
Hopefully we start replenishing forests and the oceans too, and we don't rely on this like mechanical life support.
>>
>>354826
>As a fascist,
I hope you're a benevolent one.
>>
>>354422
add an extra oxygen and calcium to carbon dioxide and you have calcium carbonate
try thinking like a chemist and you'll realise there are loads of ways to "dispose" of the excess exhaust
is simply a case f find one that's both efficient and useful

>>354743
>>of course, no beating thermodynamics after all
indeed
if you did want to turn it back into fuel there would be an energy cost somewhere
an interesting idea might be using something truly renewable like wind or wave power

>>354682
if climate change is really to be tackled we need to start capturing a greater range of greenhouse gases
methane for example is produced in huge quantities from human and animal waste
more of this this to be capture the burnt for energy with the result carbon dioxide itself being captured
>>
>>354799
well, getting rich from that is a bit less risky than lottery, but i still can't advise either
don't rush and always consider all your options
take care
>>
>>354515
>>354537
>>354539

>I want to invest in this when it starts what companies to look for?

I am.

Just completed my second technical assistance stint from the second of two, separate, national DOE laboratories.

Plan to re-purpose the carbon for growing flowers, fruits, and vegetables indoors.

And some bio-fuel, too.

Plan to stay private though.
>>
>>354669
>And where does energy come from...?

Solar, hydro, wind, tide, open your mind and learn!
>>
>>355031
Sigh. So you believe that the most efficient use of our fossil fuel reserves is the construction of "renewable" power plants (because they simply do not presently exist to provide a fraction of the necessary generation capacity) and supply the agriculture infrastructure in order create less fuel substitute than was involved in its production? This, of course, says nothing for water and land use.
Did that seem at all sensible to you? Why not cut out the middle process and just burn the plant matter?
If I may return your cretinous command back at you: Think!
>>
>>354838
>add an extra oxygen and calcium to carbon dioxide and you have calcium carbonate
Super. Are you volunteering to do it manually with tweasers? Incidentally, you fucking twit, do you know how calcium is industrially produced? FROM CALCIUM CARBONATE.
>>
>>354370

https://www.bigissue.com/latest/drax-power-station-becomes-worlds-first-wood-burning-plant-to-capture-carbon/
>>
>>354370
Good god, what a phony scam.
>>
>>354515
You really want to lose money don't you?
>>
>>354688
>However, it is exacerbated by the effects of climate change
Don't forget it's exacerbated by the effects of pg&e
>>
>>355036
>do you know how calcium is industrially produced?
The decomposed bones of aborted fetuses(feti?)
>>
It doesn’t, going Soilian does. >>>/pol/203048877

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.