[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/news/ - Current News

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Every afternoon at 3, Marie Covello waits for the van that brings her severely retarded 31-year-old son home from his day program. She takes John's hand to help him up the stairs of their Verona, N.J., house, pats his red hair into place, gives him a glass of water, reminds him to go to the bathroom and settles him in front of the television.

And in the back of her mind, as in those of thousands of other aging parents of retarded children, Mrs. Covello, who is 73, wonders how long she and her 75-year-old husband, Vince, will be able to take care of Johnny -- and what will happen to him when they cannot.

"Sometimes when I'm bathing Johnny and he gets ornery I think, 'God, give me the strength,' because it's hard now that I'm older, and my patience sometimes runs out," said Mrs. Covello. "I don't want to leave the problem for my other children, so we began trying to find a group home for Johnny about six years ago, but we're still on the waiting list. I worry about getting Johnny settled somewhere before something happens to me." Their Own Old Age

Many parents of retarded children never expected to face that worry. But unlike most retarded people born only a generation earlier, Johnny Covello and others of his age will probably outlive their parents. In many cases, because of improved living conditions and medical advance, they will reach their own old age.

As a result, their parents are now facing wrenching decisions about whether to place their offspring in group homes, ask other sons or daughters to take responsibility for the retarded siblings -- or simply hold on and hope that when an emergency arises, the retarded offspring will not be shunted into a large state institution for want of a better opening.
Continue reading the main story

Experts in the field say there are now at least 200,000 retarded people over 60 in the United States.

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/10/28/us/as-the-retarded-live-longer-anxiety-grips-aging-parents.html
>>
>>354330
>73
>31-year-old son
She was 42 when he was born.
The Wall is real women, please don't do this
>>
>>354333
Doesn't matter man, societal pressures will keep increasing the average age of mothers.

Who the fuck can afford a kid in their 20s, who would want a kid in their 30s?
>>
>>354339
I was 18 in 2010.
Friend has 3 kids is making 50k annually and is doing great.
No excuse, just stop being lazy
>>354333
I agree, women need to be spayed at age 34.
They cause their own misfortune
>>
>>354330
>1990
wtf this is 29 years old
Why are you posting this?
>>
>>354609
'member when the fucking times could use 'retarded' in its articles without any problem?
>>
>>354333
It's not like she waited to have him, she had other children and mentions his siblings, there's no reason she should have assumed that this one in particular would come out retarded.
>>
>>354645
>there's no reason she should have assumed that this one in particular would come out retarded.

SHE WAS FORTY FUCKING TWO YEARS OLD THAT'S LIKE MAKING A CAKE OUT OF ROTTING EGGS AND GOING GOLLY GEE, I HAD NO IDEA THIS CAKE WAS GONNA COME OUT TASTING LIKE SHIT
>>
>>354652
People make decisions based on their individual circumstances, the best way to change society as a whole is to have government intervene.

So we're going to ban abortion and have a hell of a lot more retarded babies.

And your tax dollars will pay for them! Until we do more welfare reform and they get kicked off, fall through the cracks and starve to death.
>>
Should put the fuckers in a zoo. I'd pay money to enjoy an icecream while strolling around the exhibits.
>>
>>354665

You would enjoy wandering around eating icecream in such a facility everyday for the rest of your life, I'd wager.
>>
>>354667
Unlike you, I'm not retarded.
>>
>>354330

An article from 1990
>>
>>354670
Unlike you, I'm not retarded
>>
>>354687
whoops
*you're
>>
And this is why prenatal cfDNA testing and genome sequencing is a good thing
>>
>>354333
We have genetic tests for all conditions now
90% choose abortion when they find out
This is not a problem anymore
The autism epidemic is related to NSAIDs, not maternal age. If old women are in good health, baby will be good enough
>>
>>354714
Abortion is the devil

The mentally handicapped must be born and drain their parents their whole lives, or be abandoned as an underfunded ward of the state. These are the only options so just ACCEPT IT
>>
>>354736
this is trumps america for sure
>>
Just euthanize the mentally retarded, it's cheaper than having them live as parasites on other people.
>>
>>354330
I thought it was strange that a new York times article used the terms "retard" and "retarded"
Then I read when this was published.
I'm not sure but I think 1990 is older than 48 hours
>>
>>354670
Are you certain? Because your posts make you sound like the most banal retard on earth.
>>
It's retarded that this thread is still here
>>
I've been to one of those sweat shops for retards. Not really a sweat shop, but they set the retards up in an assembly line making little trinkets under contract for other companies. I wonder if there are similar places that have dorms for the retards. Isolated villages.

Alternatively, is it legal to just kick your retard out of the house once they turn 18? Let them fend for themselves, even if it means they starve under a bridge.
>>
>>354820
>Alternatively, is it legal to just kick your retard out of the house once they turn 18?
Yes, though the procedure makes them a ward of the state
>>
>>354801
you quoted the wrong guy.
>>
>>354330
Abort them after a genetic test.
>>
>>354820
>Alternatively, is it legal to just kick your retard out of the house once they turn 18?
not in some countries, where parents who can care for their retarded/disabled children must do so

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.