[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/news/ - Current News

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: daiz anime.jpg (73 KB, 550x780)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
https://www.npr.org/2019/02/07/692557413/amazon-ceo-jeff-bezos-accuses-national-enquirer-of-extortion-over-personal-photo

https://medium.com/@jeffreypbezos/no-thank-you-mr-pecker-146e3922310f
>>
Amazon CEO and Washington Post owner Jeff Bezos accused American Media Inc., the parent company of the National Enquirer, of extortion by threatening to publish potentially embarrassing personal photos of him if he did not stop an investigation into how the tabloid obtained other private photos and texts of him and his girlfriend.

In a blog post on the Medium.com website, Bezos revealed what he characterized as "extortion and blackmail" by publishing a series of emails he says were exchanged by his and AMI's attorneys.

"I was made an offer I couldn't refuse," wrote Bezos. "Or at least that's what the top people at the National Enquirer thought. I'm glad they thought that, because it emboldened them to put it all in writing."

The dispute, and the extraordinary release of an agreement apparently proposed by AMI, stems from the publication last month by the National Enquirer of a story about Bezos and an extramarital affair with former TV anchor Lauren Sanchez.

Bezos ordered his team of private investigators, led by security consultant Gavin de Becker, to find out how the National Enquirer had obtained intimate texts between himself and Sanchez.

In an email purportedly from AMI Chief Content Officer Dylan Howard, he writes to an attorney for De Becker that the company obtained "during our newsgathering" several other unpublished selfie photos of Bezos and Sanchez in sexually suggestive settings.
>>
"...[In] the interests of expediating this situation, and with The Washington Post poised to publish unsubstantiated rumors of The National Enquirer's initial report, I wanted to describe to you the photo obtained during our newsgathering," Howard is quoted as saying.

After describing the photos in detail, Howard concludes, "It would give no editor pleasure to send this email. I hope common sense can prevail--and quickly."

Bezos wrote that AMI intends to publish the personal photos "unless Gavin de Becker and I make the specific false public statement to the press that we 'have no knowledge or basis for suggesting that AMI's coverage was politically motivated or influenced by political forces.' "

In another purported email, AMI Deputy General Counsel Jon Fine agrees not to publish or distribute the materials and to keep the agreement secret. But he also threatens to publish the photos if Bezos and his associates breach the agreement.

In his blog post, Bezos wrote that he's not playing along.
>>
Here's how Bezos describes AMI's proposal:

"Be assured, no real journalists ever propose anything like what is happening here: I will not report embarrassing information about you if you do X for me. And if you don't do X quickly, I will report the embarrassing information."

Howard and Fine haven't responded to email requests for comment.

"These communications cement AMI's long-earned reputation for weaponizing journalistic privileges, hiding behind important protections, and ignoring the tenets and purpose of true journalism," Bezos wrote in his blog post. "Of course I don't want personal photos published, but I also won't participate in their well-known practice of blackmail, political favors, political attacks, and corruption. I prefer to stand up, roll this log over, and see what crawls out."
>>
What kind of fucking idiot tries to blackmail the richest man in the world?
>>
>>353554
Who else would you try to blackmail?

Also, it's dick pics, the question now is the Enquirer going to post them?
>>
>>353557
If they post them they validate his claims. They have no winning move that I can think of because Bezos got ahead of the story.
>>
Steve Bezos?
Who!
>>
>>353564
Lol
>>
>>353523
I'm pretty sure blackmail is illegal. This was also blatantly political so let's see how long it takes them to get sued.
>>
>>353557
>Who else would you try to blackmail?

Someone with something to lose, and apparently having more money than almost everybody else in the country combined means never having to care about your dick pics on the front page no matter who else is in the picture.
>>
>>353562
They would have to claim it's fake if that's even possible anymore, the dolts.
>>
>>353554
you think bruce wayne is a billionaire who spends his free time beating criminals with his bare hands and your response is too blackmail him?
>>
>>353554
Especially considering they have a non-prosecution agreement in place with the SDNY AG that requires them not to break any more laws. They're gonna get that shit yoinked so hard over this.
>>
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/was-tabloid-expose-of-bezos-affair-just-juicy-gossip-or-a-political-hit-job/2019/02/05/03d2f716-2633-11e9-90cd-dedb0c92dc17_story.html

This story has more info. Apparently the brother of the chick he was banging is friends with Roger Stone and Carter Page. What. The. Fuck. This guy, Sanchez, is trying to claim that they must have gotten it from using government hacking tools, but this seems like a transparent attempt to cover his own ass. Most likely the phone showed no signs of being hacked because he just looked at her password when she unlocked it one time and remembered it and so he stole it without having to hack it. If the security team of the richest man in the world who owns the largest tech company in the world says the phone wasn't hacked, it wasn't because "the deep state" just hacked it so good they couldn't tell. Thanksgiving is going to be awkward next year.
>>
>>353554
He isn't the richest man in the world, thats probably some Saudi bigwig, Putin or Chinadude.

He is probably the richest businessman in America.
>>
>>353589
>They would have to claim it's fake if that's even possible anymore, the dolts
The onus is on Bezos to provide evidence the NE did what he's claiming.

The fact that he chose to "come out" about it on Medium and not say, WaPo, suggests he's banking on an outlet having enough "less credibility" to run with the story. Then all the other outlets have to do is echo the original report- a report no one takes heat for other than Medium if it turns out to be shit. It's like Buzzfeed's piss dossier bullshit, or their latest Mueller-documents bullshit.

This looks like he's trying to get out ahead of the impending PR shitstorm involving his divorce and divorce court, when everyone finds out /exactly/ what was going on. My guess is he travels the same vein as Anthony Weiner.
>>
>>353626
In this context wealth means provable wealth. Putin certainly has a lot of money but it's all dark money tied up in criminal enterprise and he cannot easily spend it that's why he partners with somewhat less shady individuals like Trump.
>>
>>353639
Coming out with it on WaPo would validate assertions that the newspaper is his political mouthpiece. The choice to not use the paper was deliberate but possibly for different reasons than you think.
>>
>>353639
The Enquirer already declined to outright deny it. If the emails Bezos posted were fabricated why wouldn't the higher ups who sent them to disavow them off the bat?
>>
>>353639
>Buzzfeed's piss dossier bullshit
Buzzfeed News is seperate from the standard Buzzfeed site, and they actually have high standards. The dossier has been proven time and time again to be highly accurate.
>>
>>353639
>The onus is on Bezos to provide evidence the NE did what he's claiming.
He did, and he can. The emails are easy to track, especially if one party has preserved them.

It's possible they were faked, but bezos will end up handing the evidence rover to federal prosecutors and trying to pulling one over on the FBI is...not smart.
>>
>>353621
Speaking of which,
https://apnews.com/aba515e8a0bd4a4d83a2b9b5dda896e8?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=AP

>Federal prosecutors in New York are probing whether the National Enquirer’s parent company violated a cooperation agreement in its handling of the story regarding Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos.

>Two people familiar with the matter tell The Associated Press that prosecutors are looking at whether an email exchange Bezos published shows AMI violated an agreement it struck to avoid prosecution for alleged campaign finance violations. The people were not authorized to speak publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

>The agreement requires AMI commit no crimes for three years. AMI did not respond to requests for comment.

These idiots are in so much trouble. Seriously, what the fuck were they thinking?
>>
>>353900
>Morgan Freeman voice

Let me get this straight. You have naked photos of the richest man in history.

He owns the most respected newspaper in the world. He owns one of the biggest companies on the planet.

He owns the servers you run your company on, using software that you lease from him.

And he spends his pocket money building SPACE PROGRAMS.

And your plan...is to blackmail this person?
...good luck.
>>
>>353639
What >>353664 said. If WaPo were not completely independent of Bezos then it would completely lose its credibility.
>>
>>353914
Their impartiality is their strength and their value.

If bezos had them run hit stories and clamped down on criticism they'd lose respect, and thus value. He'd be shooting himself in the foot and he knows it.

Just because your bald eagle nips your ear now and then doesn't mean you want to cut it's beak off.
>>
>>353911
I think the funniest part is they thought he had something to lose after they drove him to divorce by outing the affair. Shit like dick pics are nothing when everyone already knows you're a cheater and your marriage is dead.
>>
>>353928
And look what it did to his business.

Fucking nothing. I didn't even know he'd had a divorce until today.

And then they came after him again. Hop boy. What did Machiavelli say? It's better to be feared than loved...but take care never to be HATED.

If a man hates you, TRULY hates you, he will see himself afire just to choke you with the smoke. Bezos probably doesn't care that much, but he is very, very rich.

The richest man in the world can start a lot of fires.
>>
>>353929
Seriously though, if they wanted to blackmail him it would have been before they made the affair public. They're fucking retards.
>>
>>353931

Unless he's got a micropenis or something, but even then, all the money in the world will still turn heads.
>>
>>353933
Also, it's 20-fucking-19. I don't want to know what the richest man in the world's dick looks like. Do you?
>>
>>353938
are you fucking kidding me that shit is billion dollar gold
>>
>>353955
wierdo.
>>
>>353955
Sending dick pics is so standard it doesn't faze people anymore. The real controversy is who received them, and we already know the answer. They played their hand like idiots.
>>
>>353896

Literally a paid shill shilling fake news
>>
>>353896
>The dossier has been proven time and time again to be highly accurate.
I'm so tired of this canned propaganda response. Can you please come up with something new?
>>
If the allegations are true AMI/National Enquirer might end up being brought down under the RICO Act. Bezos is basically alleging that they're operating a criminal enterprise.
>>
The txts are awkward and adorable, richest man, still a nerd, doesn't mater what you shave.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Rjy5yW1gQ

Ignorant haters come to prove me wrong, tell me I'm not nerdy enough to run the world?!

I've got nothing to prove
>>
>>354001
That's only if Trump doesn't step in somehow to sabotage it. Remember the Enquirer is a huge shield for him and who knows how many cover ups they ran for him.
>>
DOUBLE SUING POWER!

https://www.businessinsider.com/terry-crews-claims-ami-national-enquirer-publisher-silence-him-jeff-bezos-2019-2?utm_source=feedburner&amp%3Butm_medium=referral&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+businessinsider+%28Business+Insider%29
>>
>>353523
Bout to be half a billionaire
>>
>>353626
...but he is the richest man in the world
>>
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/02/report-mistress-pro-trump-brother-leaked-bezos-texts.html

CONFIRMED TRUMP IS INVOLVED

>>
Jeff Bezos- biggest JUST moment in history.
Largest divorce settlement ever?
Dick pics?
>>
>>355022
More like the enquirer because they just broke their plead deal agreement with Mueller doing this.
They better have a secret cache of Trump criminal activity if they don't want their ass nailed to the wall.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.