[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/news/ - Current News

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: governmentshutdown.jpg (21 KB, 400x225)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
Three-quarters of Americans say the government shutdown, now tied for the longest in U.S. history, is "embarrassing for the country," including a majority of Republicans, a new NPR/Ipsos Poll finds.

If no deal is struck by midnight Friday, this partial shutdown will be the longest ever. From late 1995 to early 1996, the government was shut down for 21 days. Friday is the 21st day of this current shutdown. Neither side appears ready to budge, and this poll and others make Democrats feel they have the upper hand.

And they have reason to feel that way — about 7 in 10 in the NPR/Ipsos Poll also say the government shutdown is going to hurt the country, that it will hurt the economy and that Congress should pass a bill to reopen the government now while budget talks continue. Just 3 in 10 believe the government should remain closed until there is funding for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

A Reuters/Ipsos Poll out Tuesday found that 51 percent of Americans said President Trump "deserves most of the blame," up 4 points from late December 2018 around when the shutdown began. A YouGov Poll out this week found 50 percent also blamed Trump, also up 4 points from late December.

The NPR/Ipsos Poll also found that Trump's Oval Office address Tuesday had little effect. Just 10 percent of Americans said the president's speech brought the country closer to ending the government shutdown. (Nearly 4 in 10 said they did not watch or even follow the address.)

And not many, if anyone, beyond his base say his speech convinced them that there is a "crisis" at the Southern U.S. border. Just 38 percent of Americans overall said his speech convinced them of a crisis at the border, and only about a third said his speech convinced them there is a need for a wall along the border.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/11/684300134/most-americans-call-shutdown-embarrassing-as-it-s-set-to-become-longest-in-histo
>>
Real Americans aren't impacted by this fake shutdown.
Next
>>
>npr
Lel
>>
>>338188
What the hell do you call the quarter of the government that isn't being paid as a result of this travesty, you festering troglodyte?

I bet the only American you consider real is Dear Leader. You wouldn't even care if he cut your own pay because he's always right. Makes life super simple doesn't it?

Neck yourself.
>>
>>338195
I'm sorry your daily stormer article got pruned, buddy, but this is what the rest of us think about when we hear the word 'news'.
>>
>>338196
I call them non essential. An artificial black middle class for the most part.
If they all died tomorrow they wouldn't be missed.
>>
>>338198
Censorship always wins, right?
>>
>>338200
How many black park rangers do you know?

Actually you probably don't know any park rangers at all, so never fucking mind.
>>
>>338202
I watched that thread. OP samefagged and bumped his own thread five times. Spamming is a bannable offense.
>>
>>338203
Blacks are afraid of nature, don't be bigoted
So only park workers are "non essential"?
Neato
>>
Real americans don't listen to npr
>>
>>338207
Find a govt contractor who's not getting paid, and won't be getting his back pay, and tell him that.
>>
>>338214
NPR's only fault is giving you dumb fucks air time.
>>
>>338219
Well it is tax payer funded so yeah
>>
>>338218
>go ask a Mearchant of Death to tell you a sad story
Like I said, real Americans aren't impacted by this fake shutdown
>>
>>338223
>implying all govt contractors are big business weapons manufacturers
Yes, and the guy repainting that aircraft hangar is totally just a fanciful mural. Fuck off.
>>
>>338224
No one forced him to take a job for the government.
Don't like it? Start your own bloated bureaucracy.
>>
>>338224
Sounds like a case of the free market working out the chafe.
>>
>>338200
>I call them non essential. An artificial black middle class for the most part.
I agree, ICE and the Coast Guard should be abolished. We'll have the open borders everyone's always wanted.
>>
>>338241
ICE should be abolished and we should return to the old system where the DoJ handled immigration.
>>
>>338228
No, nobody did, and it was a nice deal until you fucked it up for him. Yannow most small govt contractors are conservative, right?

>>338230
How the fuck is a govt shut down emblematic of the free market?
>>
>>338398
>Yannow

Please, don't do this.
>>
>>338408
Welcome to r/politics' colony on 4chan
>>
>>338418
im seeing a lot more refugees from r/t_d
>>
>>339101
>r/t_d
aka /pol/
>>
>>338223
I'm sure you contribute a lot to America by whining on /pol/ about how the blacks are stealing all the women and yelling at your mother when she picks up your laundry.
>>
>>338188
Do you pay taxes? Are you hoping for a timely refund? Then the shutdown affects you.
>>
>>339166
Are you a private contractor currently under contract to the federal government? Then the shutdown affects you.

Lotta people forget that. DoD contractors who aren't employed directly by the government are under furlough and have missed paychecks now. They also won't get that money back, unlike the government employees who'll get back pay.
>>
>>339167
>DoD Contractors
Fuck them, we shouldn't be outsourcing our defense, and as for stuff like laundry and repairs, that should be done by the troops again. Teaches them skills for when they return and makes it a fuck load cheaper.
>>
>A Reuters/Ipsos Poll out Tuesday found that 51 percent of Americans said President Trump "deserves most of the blame," up 4 points from late December 2018 around when the shutdown began. A YouGov Poll out this week found 50 percent also blamed Trump, also up 4 points from late December.
Hmm, what's the other 50%?
>>
>>339183
If you read the article, it links to the poll, but I'm sure your dog whistle baits work too.
>>
>>339183
I am just pointing out the bias.
The poll is 50/50. They could have described it either way, but chose not to.
You know, another version of this article could have been published, with an alternative set of facts, that would have also been true. But they didn't
>>
I find it incredulous that the Chans have ostensibly allowed Q/Trump to go against the NYPA mantra with the BULLSHIT "Anonymous Charity" YT channel.
>>
>>339191
You're not even pointing out anything factual. If you read the poll, it's attributing blame like: 51% Trump, 44% Democracts, and 39% Republicans.
https://today.yougov.com/topics/politics/articles-reports/2018/12/27/partial-shutdown-americans-dont-see-it-ending-soon
>>
>>339187
You know saying someone is using a dog whistle is a definition of a strawman argument, right?
When you are saying someone is using a dog whistle, you are claiming they are saying X, but they really mean Y, and then you attack them for saying Y.
That's the textbook definition of a strawman
>The straw man fallacy occurs in the following pattern of argument:

>Person 1 asserts proposition X.
>Person 2 argues against a superficially similar proposition Y, falsely, as if an argument against Y were an argument against X.
>>
>>339360
He didn't formally assert anything; he used the same weasel "I wonder who could be behind this(dot)thinkingemoji" terminology.
>strawman
Oh I'm laffin'.
>>
>>339363
Again. Saying someone is using a dogwhistle is a dictionary definition of a strawman argument.
>>
>>339366
meh, id consider it somewhat of a "poisoning the well" fallacy
>>
>>339182
It's actually not cheaper, due to how bids work. If a soldier does those jobs, it means we have to pay them a soldiers wage. If a contractor does it, we can pay less.

Moreover, soldiers already have skills that they need to focus on as part of their contract. Adding more means they will have less time to do the job we actually hired them for.
>>
>>339182
>We shouldn't outscore defence
Hilarious considering Trump wants to hire mercs to do just that
>>
>>339380
You're an idiot, most of the contracts are no bid, so it costs more. What makes it worse is that soldiers have to defend the contractors if the base comes under attack.

If a solider is a chef and something happens, they can immediately grab their weapon and reporter to their commanding officer. A contractor would become dead weight and burden to the troops.
>>
>>339366
it only is if they're not intending to use a dogwhistle.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.