[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/news/ - Current News

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1024x1024[1].jpg (123 KB, 768x1024)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/joshua-tree-damage-government-shutdown-offroading-13524335.php#photo-16755082
A post by National Parks Traveler details the extent of the damage the park has sustained during the past several weeks. Beyond the overflow of human waste and garbage, visitors have also cut down Joshua trees, left graffiti, and gone off-roading through "pristine desert," according to park superintendent David Smith.

In some cases, Joshua trees were reportedly cut down so off-roaders could get around barriers. The spiky-leaved Joshua tree, or Yucca brevifolia, is found in the southern California national park that bears its name, as well as other parts of the American southwest.

"We have two new roads that were created inside the park. We had destruction of government property with the cutting of chains and locks for people to access campgrounds. We've never seen this level of out-of-bounds camping," Smith told the nonprofit news organization.

"They would just go out into the country, and then once 20 or 30 cars would go over it you would essentially have a new road created in pristine desert," Smith explained.

With far fewer rangers patrolling the park's 1,200 square miles of desert landscape, preventing vandalism and damage has been a challenge. According to National Parks Traveler, only eight law enforcement rangers have been working through the shutdown.
>>
"While the vast majority of those who visit Joshua Tree National Park do so in a responsible manner, there have been incidents of new roads being created by motorists and the destruction of Joshua trees in recent days that have precipitated the closure," the park said in a statement announcing it planned to close Thursday morning.

But late Wednesday, Joshua Tree changed course and announced the park wouldn't be closing after all. The national park said it had freed enough money from recreation fees to prevent the closure of outdoor areas, although most visitor centers won't operate. Some campgrounds, a road, a trail and a picnic area that were closed due to damage are set to reopen.

Authorities say the money will allow them to bring back maintenance staff to deal with problems.
>>
Why do conservatives hate nature?
>>
>>337732
That thing is dead. It fell over. Jewish headstone 2.0
Notice how it wasn't cut with a saw and there are no chips from an axe.
All I see is rot
>>
>>337743
>conservatives hate nature
Ahh yes. Opinions on nature from a liberal concrete jungle monkey. Wonderful. Suck on smog, asphalt asshole.
>>
>>337756
you have never cut down a tree in your life, then.

That's been chopped. Probably from the front left, since that's where the most bark has been cut off.
>>
>>337771
Nope, no chips. You are wrong.
>>
>>337768
Do you see Democrats cutting down the EPA, rolling back emission regulations, and destroying national parks and monuments? I never understood why conservatives hated nature so much when they're supposed to be good ol country boys.
>>
>>337792
The river in New Mexico that the epa posionined and the flint water issue both happened under the Kenyan Prince
Care to comment?
>>
>>337801
>whataboutism
Why do conservatives always try this when their position is indefensible
>>
>>337808
"do you see democrats doing thing"
"yes"
"that's whataboutism, stop"
>>
>>337784
You're retarded. the ground is littered with chips. Are you expecting the huge thumb-sized ones you only get with certain kinds of wood? Perhaps you should look instead for the smaller flakes that occur with trees in drier environments...like deserts.
>>
>>337801
>flint water issue
Ah yes, and who controlled the actual local govt authorities when that happened?

Or does the president possess absolute authority over his government, in which case, how has Trump not gotten his wall?
>>
>>337810
>why do republicans do this thing
>yeah, well what about democrats and these things
Retard
>>
>>337824
i sure wonder who the first person to bring up democrats in this thread was
>>
>>337732
>We've never seen this level of out-of-bounds camping,

dumbfuck doesnt camping at all.
>>
>>337814
Black democrats caused flint. Dumb monkeys
>>
>>337813
No the ground is sand
>>
>>337801
Get back to me when the Kenyan Prince signs executive orders causing as much widespread ecological damage. Oh wait you can't. Dumb fuck. Why do conservatives have no concept of scale or context.

>>337810
>A few corrupt democrats do This Thing
>The entire Republican party promises This Thing, runs a presidential campaign with This Thing being one of their biggest platforms, then hires the parties most interested in This Thing into a position of power where they can implement This Thing on a national level.
>BRURHURRRHURRR BUT DEMOCRATS DO IT TOO BURHRURHURR
See above, then cradle a gun barrel with your mouth as one final encompassing symbol of your eternal faggotry and pull the trigger.
>>
>>337848
Maybe if you weren't so hyperbolic people would listen to you. Instead you scare them away, just like Al Gore
>>
>>337848
>executive orders causing widespread ecological damage

Lol nigga what?
>>
>>337838
And the obvious chop marks on the stump are what?
>>
That tree fell over, it wasn't cut down.
All you retardeds going on about saving nature sure don't seem to spend any time in it. Imagine that. Huh
>>
>>337857
Obvious?
Looks like it just fell over from old age.
>>
this just be that "flood the zone with shit" thing people talk about
>>
>>337838
If you actually went /out/ instead of shitposting in your mom's basement you'd know well that what's scattered around the stump in particular is not the texture of sand. The grain size is too large; it looks like wood chips. Not to mention, the way the tree """broke""" is way too clean. It was pretty obviously chopped down. Can't you at least hide behind some imaginary liberal being at fault instead of making up things that can be disproven more easily?
>>
>>337859
Yeah, nope. I'm not going to argue with you about what wood looks like. This is more retarded than the last press conference.
>>
>>337732

What 'cha doing rabbi... I mean, Trump hating SJWs?
>>
This is why men must be governed
>>
>>337743
To piss off everyone else
>>
>>337743
they don't hate nature they just believe it's purpose is to serve them, their interests, be exploited etc.

>>337857
fake news, same as the fact that there is tree missing at an ascending angle on the base, the missing bark over the cut on the top AND the fact that it folded but stayed attached when chopped nearly through, something which rotten trees don't do, they sheer completely.
>>
>>337942
self regulation is clearly better; I mean we have two new roads and it didn't cost the taxpayers a dime
>>
>>337792
>EPA
Signed into creation by Nixon.
>emission regulations
Drives the cost of automobiles so high that you are either no longer able to own one or you are driving a wreck leaking every non-fuel fluid for five years beyond its expected life.
>national parks and monuments
Nature does not exist in a fenced pen where a gate with a guy in smokey bear hat that collects twenty dollars while he sits under a sign that says "Nature Here!"
>>
>>337768
Goddammn that was a hell of a riff
>>
>>337768
pottery
>>
you can clearly see the tree was knocked over, like in a wind storm
notice how the wood is stripped off farther down on the front-right part of the tree, and that lines up with the extra wood on the same section of the knocked over part
and look at the wood on the inside, the entire inner portion looks torn, not cut
the entire tree was knocked over by wind i see no evidence of cutting
even around the base of the tree where you would expect to see bark from cutting there is none
idk maybe people were cutting down trees there, but this pic is definitely not cut
>>
>>338002
This. These keyboard warriors havw never pushed over a dead tree.
>>
>>337958
Destroying the environment in the process disqualifies your logic.
>>
>>338002
A windfall would either a) split vertically, leaving a large spike and a curve of bent wood, like so: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbVqPkbXIAAa134.jpg

A rotted tree would come up very close to the roots, and the stump would be hollow: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_lm-5OafnpQs/S89DTZhgU0I/AAAAAAAAAL4/Rnf6L4P8AOk/s1600/Basswood-2.jpg

Note that in BOTH of the above cases the bark is totally undamaged relative to the split itself.

In the OP bark has been sheared away in a larger area than the damage to the trunk. This is because whoever went at it with an axe missed several times, shearing off bark with each miss.

It was chopped down. Stop being retarded.
>>
A leftist would do this to prove a point
Just as a Jew scrawls a swastica on their own temple. A Muslim burns his own mosque and a black man hangs a noose in his own locker.
The leftist mindset... What ever it takes to win
>>
>>338055
Funny that they missed with an axe several time and there are no axe marks
Also, there was a windstorm last week and a tree blew over in my neighborhood looking pretty much the same as this
>>
>>338098
checkmate atheists!
>>
>>338002
shut the fuck up retard, its been hacked and i can see where they shifted it for more leverage halfway through.

t. a fucking lumberjack
>>
>>338107
I if you were actually a lumerjack you'd see that the tree fell turning a quarter clockwise on the way down and the heartwood is rotten but you're actually a mentally-ill faggot larper
>>
>>338107
Query, Mr. Professional logging anon.

A buddy of mine says the fibrous bark of a Joshua tree wouldn't flake and chip away, which I think is why there isn't as much on the ground as you'd think for a tree that size.

I've only ever done pines and other temperate trees around my house, so I dunno what a Joshua does when you chop it down.

Thoughts?
>>
>>338107
>t. A fucking lumberjack

Well i wouldn't let you on my fucking property you filth tree rat
>>
>>338116
If the heartwood was rotten enough that it was the cause of the fall the stump would be concave, not flat or slanted. Trees twist on the fall all the time. Shut your fucking face.
>>
>>338117
When you chop down a Joshua tree the chips actually evaporate hence none being on the ground. They also defy gravity and fall into the backcut.
>>
>>338119
Lol did the twist make the chips evaporate too?
FUCKING urbanites
>>
>>338120
>actually evaporate
Wait, what? More info, I'm really interested now.

>>338122
I appreciate you abandoning your point to try and fall back on the 'no chips' B.S. that's already been shat on earlier in this thread.
>>
did they draw a swastika on it too lmao
>>
>>338123
[Citation needed]
>>
>>338133
Quoting the wrong post there bucko

Unless you're talking about 'no chips' in which case

>>337813
>>337863
>>
>The tree fell over because of the wind, not because it was chopped down
is the environmental version of Trump didn't conspire with the Russians with the amount of mental knots Trump apologists are tying themselves into.
>>
>>337829
>>338136
So where are the chips though?
>>
>>338137
But Trump didn't "conspire with the Russians"

Want to try again sweetie?
>>
>>338138
Literally all over the ground. It's a cell phone image, it's unsuprising they're getting washed out a bit.
>>
>>338140
His campaign manager did, lol

>>336939

You think Manafort just accidentally did that?
>>
>>338143
Daily reminder proscuters "court filings" are simply unsubstantiated opinions.
Try again champ.
Also where are the chips?
>>
>>338145
>evidence submission that the defense does not dispute
>opinion
*inhales*

BOI
>>
>>338147
Where are the charges?
*inhales*
I feel bad for people like you.
>>
>>338150
The...the charges? What?

He's literally under indictment for turning over polling data to a Russian agent and lying about it. That's what the article fucking says. Are you blind?

Actually since you appear to be unable to see fucking WOOD CHIPS I think you are. Are you shitposting with a Braille interface? How does that work?
>>
>>338152
If you're explaining you're losing
>>
>>338153
lol k
>>
>>338154
Okay, Keep me posted on your Russia fanfc though. Shit sends my sides into orbit.
>>
>>338157
So EXPLAIN to me AGAIN how the tree rotted out?
>>
>>338158
Can you explain where the saw dust or chips are?
>>
>>338002
yep, a bunch of trees just fell over while there was illegal trespassing and no rangers to oversee the park. you were aware the OP pic isnt the only tree nor the only picture of cut trees, correct?
>>
>>338175
>a bunch of trees
Just one champ
>illegal trespassing
Not illegal for tax payers to use the land they own
I stopped after that cause I have a 2 lie policy.
>>
>>338145
thats clearly dirt
>>
>>338180
Just one tree
Motherfucker you didn't even read the goddamn article did you? And yes, it is illegal to VANDALIZE FEDERAL PROPERTY. I bet you got righteously mad when that confederate statue was knocked over.
>>
>>338183
>did I read the fake news
Nope
You went from trespassing to vandalism. Next you will tell me the tree was raped and called racial slurs.
>>
Where are the chips or saw dust? Odd
>>
>>338184
>the San Francisco Chroncile covering local stories
>fake news
Gr8 b8 m8
And it's both trespassing AND vandalism, dumbshit. They broke onto federal property and damaged it. If you own a tree, on your own land, and someone comes in and chops it down, that's trespassing and vandalism, and you're as entitled to sue them blind as the government is if it happens to them.
>>
destroying government property to own the libs
>>
>>337848
>widespread ecological damage
Where?
>>
>>338197
>DA JUUUIIICCCEEE
Oh boy here we go
>>
>>338225
That is a true believer m8.
>>
>>338233
>da nazis
Hey rabbi
>>
>>338243
>ctrl-f
>nazi
>1 result

Implying?
>>
>>337792
I see them leaving dry overgrowth in forests so they can get a raging fire going, I also see them destroying confederate monuments
>>
>>337732
ONE FUCKING TREE

An inferior, nearly extinct dead shit species of tree protected by liberal faggot park rangers who sit on their ass smoking weed all day while real men get jobs and work for a living. Get fucked Joshua cucks
>>
>>337991
>Nature does not exist in a fenced pen where a gate with a guy in smokey bear hat that collects twenty dollars while he sits under a sign that says "Nature Here!"
Good thing that's not what National Parks are fucktard
>>
>>338312
Aww, is someone butthurt that they couldn't get a National Park job? Because it seems like it.
>>
>>337743
>has to be republican even though california has 4.5 million more registered democrats than republicans
>>
>>338312
yeah dude fuck trees. they don't exist and even if they did you certainly wouldn't be able to cut them
>>
>>338312
>ONE FUCKING MARSUPIAL
An inferior, nearly extinct dead shit species of an animal protected by liberal faggot park rangers who sit on their ass smoking weed all day while real men get jobs and work for a living. Get fucked Panda cucks

>ONE FUCKING BULLET
An inferior, illegal model of a gun protected by conservative faggot NRA trailer trash who sit on their ass drinking Bud Light all day while real men get jobs and work for a living. Get fucked 11 Round Mag cucks
>>
>>338449
Bravery.jpg
>>
>>338249
>destroying confederate monuments
Good, why celebrate traitors?
>>
>>338489
Why celebrate ingins? They lost. Marxist Lucifer Koon got shot, he lost.
We don't celebrate losers right faggot?
>>
>>337732
This thread is proof it only takes one /pol/tard to shut down discussion of the issue.
Stop responding to obvious trolls newfags.
>>
>>338496
Confederates were traitors, slave owners, and losers.
Native Americans were largely stamped out for selfish and self-serving reasons, not because they deserved it.
Losers to be sure on both sides, but one deserved it and one didn't.
>>
>>338496
>Indians
>had their land stolen by Europeans, at worst committed some raids against settlers because they were loosing their land

>MLK
>championed the right of freedom and equality and tried to end unnecessary racial divisions WITHOUT taking up a gun

>Confederates
>a bunch of super-wealthy landowners who wanted to literally own people as slaves so bad that they started the most destructive war on US soil and made the poor white people they lorded over fight despite these poor white people being disadvantaged by slavery
>>
>>338562
>at worst committed some raids against settlers
Please see: French-Indian War
>>
>>338562
>unnecessary racial divisions
Please see: rates of interracial violent crime 1960 to 2000
>WITHOUT taking up a gun
Please see: National Guard forcing school integration
>>
>>338631
>This racist
You didn't even read his post.
You're not even trying
>>
>>338656
>racist
I don't see anything racist, just a bunch of references to historical events and statistics. Are those racist?
>>
>>338631
>Please see: National Guard forcing school integration
So you're blaming MLK for...the National Guard enforcing the law?

What kind of KKK logic is that?
>>
>>338737
>blaming MLK
If he is able to accept credit, he is able to accept blame. They cannot be segregated.
>>
>>337837
The Republican govenor you mouth breather
>>
>>337942
Based hobbesian
>>
>>338107
>larping on 4chan for authority of opinion
>>
>>338747
So you're saying enforcing the Law is something one is to be BLAMED for?

What is Law to you, an inconvenience?!
>>
>>338737
>So you're blaming MLK
>>338747
>If he is able to accept credit, he is able to accept blame.
Second guy want the first to use word. Keep up.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.