[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/news/ - Current News

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 14 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

The buck-toothed Nutria - all you need to know

They can weigh up to 30lbs
Mature adults are about two feet long
They can give birth to dozens of young a year
They eat a quarter of their body weight a day
Their hind feet are webbed like a duck
Their teeth are yellow to orange-red
They burrow into banks next to waterways

GIANT swamp rats the size of dogs have invaded California - four decades after they were thought to have all been killed off.

Nutria - which weigh up to 30lb - devour plants and snails with their inch-long teeth eating a quarter of their body weight a day.

Five dollar bounties have been put the heads of the two-foot long 'alien' species following their shock re-emergence in the sunshine state.

Experts are planning to introduce sniffer dogs to track down the ravenous rodents and traps have been laid in California's swamp lands.

There are even plans to deploy “Judas nutria” - sterilised animals fitted with radio collars - to track down the monster rats' hidden lairs.

In Louisiana, the buck-toothed beasts - who give birth to dozens of young a year - have already laid waste to vast swathes of marshland.

It's now feared they will do the same in California, despite the fact they were thought to have been eradicated in the state in the 1970s.

Reports say they are rapidly multiplying and the California Department of Fish and Wildlife has created a task force to tackle the problem.

Now the rodents are reportedly on the move and are heading north toward the San Joaquin Delta, California’s most important water source.

The nutria munch on the roots of marshland plants putting all the birds and frogs and other species that depend on the wetlands at risk.

However, it is the thousands of farmers who rely on the waterways to irrigate their crops who have most to worry about.
https://www.thesun.ie/news/3478285/california-hit-by-invasion-of-alien-swamp-rats-that-weigh-the-same-as-a-staffy/
>>
Merced County sweet potato farmer Stan Silva revealed he hadn’t even heard the word “nutria” until a few months ago.

He’s still never seen one, but he’s terrified of the damage they will do to his crops.

“It would be devastating,” he told KPBS news.

“They can basically ruin the ag industry here - they get in your fields, burrow into your canal ways, your waterways.”

The South American species has already destroyed huge parts rural Louisiana where they have been dubbed "sewer rats on steroids."

An astonishing 1.8 million nutria pelts were produced in that state in 1976 - when the demand for their fur was at an all-time high.

However, when fur went out of fashion so did the Nutria and suddenly the voracious rodents quickly had a price put on their heads.

In the 2016-17 season, hunters killed a staggering 216,000 of them - picking up $5 for very tail handed into the authorities.

Film maker Chris Metzler has just released a documentary following the hunters who try and make a living killing nutria.

His film - Rodents of Unusual Size - focuses on what is being done to halt the devastation the creatures can cause.

In interviews, Metzler has described the animals as being "like a New York City sewer rat on steroids."

He said: "They have these really big front orange teeth and these giant rat-like hands in the front with a really long rat tail.

"They are like a hybrid between a big rat and a beaver. "
>>
>>322901
I want to eat some. Fried swamp rat anyone?
>>
>>322901
Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist
>>
>>322901
>swamp rats
I used to bullseye swamp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than two meters.
>>
>>322901
I didn't know another Unite the Right rally happened
>>
>>322901
We need to drain the fire swamp!
>>
>>322902
>where they have been dubbed "sewer rats on steroids."
I can't be the only one who laughed upon reading that
>>
>>322972
I never understood that, Isn't Tatooine a desert?
>>
does this mean California is going to be swarmed with lvl1 adventurers looking to level up on those "kill 20 giant rat" fetch quests?
>>
>>323224
Yes as bounty's will probably be offered soon
this is what the bounty was in Louisiana
In the 2016-17 season, hunters killed a staggering 216,000 of them - picking up $5 for every tail handed into the authorities.
>>
>>322902
>He’s still never seen one, but he’s terrified of the damage they will do to his crops.
Well, how does he know
>>
>>323213
Their rats were of the womp veriety not swamp. But theirs were 2 meters
>>
>>322901
>Those elder scrolls rats are actually real
Fug now I'm scared guys DDD: no good! no good!
>>
>>322973
go away, shareblue
>>
>>323224
>does this mean California is going to be swarmed with lvl1 adventurers looking to level up on those "kill 20 giant rat" fetch quests?

hopefully. Nutria infestation would be fucking devastating.
>>
>>322973
Based.
>>
>>322973
Duh he is holding up 2 antifa

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.