[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 118 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 377.png (408 KB, 813x574)
408 KB
408 KB PNG
poop edition

Welcome to the /gag/~

/gag/ is dedicated to all the pilots and pilot applicants out there, and although the name suggests otherwise, airline, military, and charter discussion is welcome. Keep it on topic, keep the shit throwing to a minimum.

Previous thread here: >>1336469
>>
>>1356217
never rely on flows or whatever they're called
>>
>>1356377
Rely on floats!
>>
>>1356393
float planes
vs
bush planes

which of these two kinds of aircraft gives a greater feeling of freedom?
>>
>>1356401
Ultimately depends on where you're gonna fly them.

But broadly speaking float planes can land on grass in a pinch but not take off again, and with landing gear they can take off and land on paved surfaces but the training wheels aren't good for anything else, whereas amphibian planes with larger landing gear can also take off and land on grass. These might be the most "free as in freedom" planes in that regard.
>>
>>1356418
Light float planes can also take off on really smooth grass, but I feel bad for the twig sized landing gear just watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVqs5qZJkc8
>>
>>1356418
>>1356401
>>1356424
flying bush planes around alaska is the best way to get the freedom feeling. taking off in one place and landing in literally the middle of nowhere, no civilization for a ridiculous number of miles.
>>
any FFDOs here? think its worth doing?
>>
bush piloting is the last pure form of the profession
>>
>>1356610
>no annoying normalfags/uberchads
>the only thing that matters is the flight, no egotistical boomers talking down to you, no drama, nothing
>go anywhere, disconnect from the world
>>
>>1356610
>>1356621
Yeah, but... Alaska.
>>
>>1356953
Canada, Australia, sub-Saharan Africa, New Zealand all have many opportunities. Doesn't matter where you're from, an FAA license (or Australian, NZ, European license) gets you in the door at any of those. Alaska is undoubtedly the easiest and has the least paperwork headaches, but if you want to go fly in South Africa you can.
>>
>>1356621
>wages are often terrible
>on par with oil drilling and fishing in terms of statistical likelihood of dying
>living in tundra or the outback for weeks at a time in makeshift accommodations
>equipment is old, shoddy and not always properly maintained

there's a reason bush piloting is an option for people with no hours. its a rough job. if it were easy everyone would do it.

that said if you own your own aircraft and trust your skills in maintaining it you can make an absolute fortune being your own boss. the trick is somehow coming out the other end of flight school with $1mUSD or so.
>>
File: school1_small.jpg (41 KB, 480x319)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>1357014
I have one question: can I get H1B? Alaska doesn't scare me, if they give me mosquito repellent.
>>
>>1357018
Probably not for bush flying unless you're Canadian.

for ATPL yes easily
>>
What do you guys do if you're up at twelve thousand feet, you're an hour from your destination and you suddenly have to take a massive shit?
>>
>>1357186
Get out your shit box.
>>
>>1357123
>for ATPL yes easily
Sheeit. At least flight schools are cheaper in third world shitholes.
>>
>>1357287
What's your shit box, Anon?
>>
>>1357287
tfw you forget your shitbox and have to use your fingerbox instead
>>
>>1357517
Kek.
Btw, is it legal to throw turds away? What will happen if you hit propeller with turd (let's say some dual engine shitbox)
>>
>tfw asthma
I have my examination next week lads wish me luck
>>
>>1357530
>91 15 No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.
>>
>>1357556
So you're not allowed to drop shit on people. Sad.
>>
>>1357556
WE GOTTA DROP THE LOAD

all hail the magic conch
>>
File: 1546742212265.jpg (17 KB, 320x311)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>1357565
>>
>>1356566
I know a guy who used to be an FFDO. I don’t know if he does it anymore though.
>>
How realistic would it be to give a piper cub an electric, battery powered motor? I think it would be feasible because they are mainly used for short flights.
>>
>>1358270
What are you going to do about the weight of the batteries?
>>
>>1358270
thats an expensive plane to start with. maybe a taylorcraft or something without the boomer tax
>>
If you live near a major international airport with no A380 service, do you think your city could support an A380 route? Why or why not?
>>
>>1356566
I plan on doing it in a couple weeks. Mostly for the fact that I can keep a gun in chicago/nyc/boston/where ever I may live
>>
What should I do?
>Drop everything and fall for aviation meme
>Finish uni and fall for aviation meme, being 25 year old retard.
>KMS
>>
>>1358345
switch to a college with an aviation program
>>
>>1358365
I will think about this...
At this point I think I'm better finishing my EE degree, and then, after 5.5 years think, if I need this stuff. Maybe in meantime try flying with instructor, see if it is interesting or disappointing.
>>
>>1358345
didnt start flight school til I was literally a 30 y/o boomer. its worth it to not be in debt.
>>
>>1358329
No because we barely make do with an single ERJ-145.
>>
>>1356566
I plan to as soon as I hire on. Just like>>1358338 says, it would be nice to have in nigger infested shitholes.
>>
>>1358329
We spent millions on new gates to handle A380s and they'll probably never come

t. LAS
>>
>>1358329
I live near Schipol, so yes it could if any of the airlines who use it as a hub ever needed an A380. I can't ever see it happening though.
>>
I'm taking a flight to daytona international in a few days, is there anything I should know about this airport that's not in notams or afd's?
>>
>>1358458
it’s busy as fuck. There are like 5 large flight schools at that airport. So it’s always packed with students
>>
>>1358329
I live near an airport that has both A380 and 747 traffic daily
>>
Say goodbye to Avianca and Norwegian everybody
>>
poop edition
>>
How many third world pilots do you have in US?
>>
>>1358458
the little runway is pretty short. Tower may give you reporting points based on landmarks you arent familiar with, dont be afraid to ask for clarification
>>
File: crj-700.jpg (206 KB, 1024x683)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
I have my ATP initial checkride in 5 days. I got the mean examiner AND the FAA is sitting in to observe my examiner. Somebody kill me now pls
>>
>>1358672
Just relax. Your examiner is going to be just as nervous as you are.
>>
>>1358672
C A N C E L
>>
>>1358329

Sea-Tac

> BA and Lufthansa for Alaska cruise ship traffic

> Emirates, Qatar (which doesn't serve SEA yet) and SQ to serve connecting pax (e.g. tech traffic headed to HYD, BLR or SIN)

> Asiana and Korean Air for O&D to South Korea, Vietnam/Philippines, and competing with SQ for Puget Sound-Singapore tech industry traffic

> Maybe Airfrance (since SEA is a Skyteam hub) for cruise ship traffic + competing with Emirates for O&D/tech traffic to India
>>
>>1359041

Oh and also
[lolnospoiler]Too bad the Port of Seattle steadfastly refuses to build A380 gates[/lolnospoiler]
>>
>>1358672
That’s a good thing. The examiner will be less of a douche because he’s being observed. The FAA observer doesn’t care about your checkride. He’s not there to watch you.

I’ve done 2 checkride while having an observe sit in, and it made the rides smoother, the DPE doesn’t want to look bad
>>
>>1356418
Those amphibs are tougher than you give them credit and they have no trouble with most grass strips.
>>
>>1356621
>Often just mail runs to the same few places, if it isn't a mail run then its vacationers who are invariably patagonia wearing youths or your classic traveling boomer group.
>Plenty of drama comes from working for a small company in a small town.
>go where you're told, not wherever you want unless you own the airplane yourself.
>>
>>1356376
Anyone do their hours overseas? Thinking of banging mine out in Chile or Argentina, it’s 1/3 of the cost and retarded cheap to live there.
>>
>>1359631
They don't speak English.
>>
>>1359710
Ok so I learn Spanish. Any other reason not to?
>>
>>1359860
It is not exactly cheap. Price on food and stuff is like in Europe. Home appliances are more expensive than in US. Idk.
I'm interested in question too, but getting into aviation in some thirdworld shithole because muh cheaper.
>>
>>1359862
Bro in Argentina rent is about $200/month for a one bedroom and two weeks of groceries is less than $100. If you’re there to just bang out your hours who gives a shit about quality appliances? Just bring American stuff and adapters if you’re that bothered.
>>
>>1359877
>American stuff and adapters if you’re that bothered.
I'm not bothered, but they have 220V there.
>>
>>1359631
better off in Australia
>>
>>1358329
STL, fuck no.

ever since american pulled out in '06 this place has been a ghost town, with its largest concourse completely abandoned. i even have a picture
>>
>>1359906
i could see STL being a pretty big airport if twa didnt shit the bed.
>>
>>1359902
How much is it to go from zero to 1500?
>>
>>1360035
But what about latin shitholes, or europe?
Will their airlines hire someone with no hours?
>>
ATP checkride tomorrow at 4am. I hope I can actually manage to fall asleep tonight
>>
Could improved motor gliders make flying great again?
>STOL and silent landing makes backyard airstrips practical
>folding wings, can be towed and garaged
>cheaper than other light aircraft
>sip fuel
>electric motor is somewhat practical with completely silent running and solar power option
>sure they're slow but still twice highway speed
>>
>>1360233
What is the difference between plane and powered glider?
Besides different licenses, obviously.
>>
>>1360239
Longer wings, weaker engines, lighter, slower. Good luck finding anything larger inside than a cozy 2 seater.
>>
>>1360225
At this point you know it or you don’t, no point in worrying. Good luck
>>
>>1360284
So basically moped of aviation.
Sounds nice.
>>
>>1360139
I don't know about Europe, but in Argentina you can get hired by Latam.
>>
>>1360297
Pretty good. I'm sure they have nice salaries (if you consider salaries of spics or earthquake spics).
>>
Hey /gag/. I just got off the phone with an FAA medical examiner and the receptionist said that it would cost 475$ dollars for a class 3 issuance. Am I being memed?
>>
>>1360534
isn't a class 1 like 200
>>
>>1360540
That’s the impression I had. which is why I told them that 475 seemed way too expensive but I thought I’d ask here.
>>
>>1360534
I've paid $100 for 4 out the 5 docs ive gone too for a 1st class
>>
>>1360656
Alright, I'll look for other docs
Thanks.
>>
>>1360299
They do and if a comfy South American life isn't for you, you can just convert everything back to FAA/European and fly at home.
>>
File: 550.png (1.37 MB, 1194x1188)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB PNG
>>1360291
Passed it. EZPZ
Passed my ATP initial today. Am I real pilot now?
>>
>>1360754
What major do you hope to work for in a few years?
>>
>>1360754
Only if you wear an aesthetic pilot's watch.
>>
>>1360720
I'm currently in Chile as an exchange student. Only problem I have is Spanish. Why the fuck all Chileans speak like they have dick in the mouth or something?
So, I guess I will give it a try. I will make some research on flight schools and programs here, after I fix my Spanish.
>>
>>1360534
>$475 for a third class
I got my first class for $165.
>>
>>1360754
Mommy’s proud
>>
>>1360656
This
>>
>>1360787
My father is at American but he's telling me I should go to Delta. Currently have no checkride failures so hopefully barring nothing bad happening in the industry in the next 3-5 years, I'll go with whoever gives me the offer first lol
>>
File: crj7.jpg (50 KB, 599x400)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>1360789
I have a shit casio. Guess its time to upgrade
>>1360895
she is
>>
>>1361203
Do you have a degree
>>
>>1361389
yeah got one from the University of Florida. You don't necessarily need one to get to American but if you want to get hired out of the flow, you will.
>>
>>1361537
I'm slowly working on a degree right now. I only have 26 credits at the moment. I'll be at ATP mins by next July. For the regionals i'm looking at both PSA and Republic. I know PSA has the flow. But honestly I'd much rather work for United than American.

I'm really hoping that having military experience + an associates will help me get to UA.

Why did you choose GoJet and not Endeavor since you want to go to Delta?
>>
I'm starting my flight training this fall, with the long-term intent of doing it professionally. Planning on trying to transfer to a real university where I can get a degree at the same time as flight training, UND or ERAU or something, but that's a bit further down the line.

Anyway, one thing I need that's giving be a bit of trouble is sunglasses. It's surprisingly hard to find prescription ones that AREN'T polarized, especially without paying a fuckton for them. I see there are a bunch of online dealers that seem to specialized in them and seem to have semi-reasonable pricing, any advice?
>>
>>1358672
I did my CFI initial with an inspector sitting in. Everyone involved had a good time. Also, you're not the one being examined!
>>
>>1361745
Military time is a huge help. Get your associates and I'm sure you'd be a shoe in. The Delta interview at Endeavor is a gimmick in my opinion. Look at the percentage of Endeavor pilots actually being hired after they interview. It's not great. Your best bet is to choose an airline that will fly the pants off of you so you can get your upgrade quickly and some PIC time under your belt. GoJet is giving out lines worth 85+ hours all the time and they have one of the fastest upgrade times in the industry. My goal and primary motivation is to get to the Majors so I choose the airline I believed would help me get there the fastest.

Also, if you want to get picked up with minimum time at a major you need some resume extras like working in the training department or being on the FOQA committee. Gojet's headquarters are in STL which happens to be a junior base. If you are based in STL and put your hand up, you can get all sorts of extras and be involved in the company. It's small enough that you're not just a number here which is ideal for resume building. We also get a healthy sign on bonus which doesn't hurt.
>>
>>1361765
It went really smoothly. The FAA guy was really chill and we basically just shot the shit with my examiner the whole time during the checkride. Not at all what I expected but I was pleased with the outcome lol
>>
>>1361897
I should add that my military time is not aviation related. I was an infantryman if that makes a difference....
>>
>>1361764
UND grad here, fuck UND, GFK is a great city though. They’ve fired/bought out most of the great faculty, the good ones have left and most professors the have only been there for around 2 years. Not to say ERAU is better, but just use the list of schools with a R-ATP waiver for a yardstick of what’s a worthy school. Cheaper is better, Stay far from ERAU for sure.
>>
>>1357559
As long as they don't see your reg and if you're not squawking you'll be a ok. ,';^)
>>
>>1363026
The big thing for me is that I want to get my degree at the same time, and it doesn't seem like there are a ton of school that offer that.

Anybody ever heard anything about SJSU's program? It seems to be decently regarded and it'd probably be the cheapest real university with a flight program since I'm a California native and it's a state school.
>>
>>1363026
>stay far from ERAU for sure
Why
>>
>>1363496
Extremely high tuition cost, and if you become a ERAU instructor the pay in very low ($12/hr last I heard).

>>1363355
Check these schools out as a starting point. UND isn’t bad, but maybe another will suit your situation better than going all the way to ND.

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/atp/media/Institutional_Authority_List.pdf
>>
>>1363556
>$12 an hour
I make around double that as an ERAU Instructor. Tuition is very high, but the flight costs are fairly comparable to other schools, and largely dependent on individual performance.
>>
>>
>>
>>1361204
>>
>>1363755
What about pic related? Will it make TSA shit brick?
>>
Not a pilot here.. What would happen if you said Sierra Hotel on radio? Would you need to talk to the FAA (if in America) or something?
>>
>>1364224
Nothing would happen. I hear people swear on frequency from time to time. As a general rule we keep it professional but the occasional slip up is nothing worth writing home about.
>>
>>1364224

https://youtu.be/ilQHP8PgHWs
>>
How does radio in airplane work?
If your co-pilot presses the button, will it transmit shit you're saying?
>>
>>1363026
Isn't UND full of Chinese?
>>
>>1364441
Gimmie Chinese puss
>>
By chance I stumbled upon a broadcast of a Red Bull Air Race. Thought it was pretty intriguing but when I looked it up apparently it's shuttering at the end of the year. Are there any other international air racing leagues? I really thought it was cool but I'm bad at looking things up so I haven't been able to find one to check out.
>>
After watching aviation memes I magically manage to land in simulator more-less smoothly, with proper flare (at least it looks to me like proper flare), and I didn't watch any in-depth how-to guides...
Should I get into aviation but IRL?
>>
>>1360835
I am a Chilean in the US trying to start flying over here. I really wanted to stay away from that market, its small and kind of elitist. Beware as the Air Force is in charge of the medical examination and they will deny you for anything if they feel like it. I got my 1st Class here no problem but I was denied back there. If you need any help with translation or to find a school let me know tho, I have no issues in helping. And yes, our spanish sucks.
>>
>>
>>1364460
>He can't get Chinese puss even at home in China
Sad!
>>
>>1364619
Has a working model been made of that?
>>
Why are club plane rentals so fucking expensive?
I get that there's maintenance and hangar space involved with fuel costs, but does a club with a healthy number of members flying and paying monthly dues need to charge ~$100 per hour?
There's no point to fly anywhere except for the pure enjoyment of the flight alone since it ends up costing hundreds of dollars more than driving or putting up with commercial flight cancer.
>>
>>1364903
I didnt pass the stereopsis test. That was some years ago, I am guessing now I wouldnt be able to pass other tests. You are there all day and its pretty fucking exausting. Meanwhile the FAA medical took me less than 30 minutes, fucking elitists pieces of shit. Also forget about waivers as they wont make exceptions for new pilots.
>>
>>1364955
i dunno man $100 is pretty good depending on the plane.
But yes aviation is expensive in general, it sucks but you can probably thank the insurance companies for that
>>
6.2 hr student fag here. Doing pattern work, power off approaches and simulated emergencies. Any advice?
>>
>>1360835
Hi, I'm a chilean currently in flight training here. Anything I could help you out with?
>>
>>1365229
Yes, could you explain how your aeronautical examination works. That anon (>>1364978 >>1364605 ) kinda made me nervous a little bit.
>>
>>1365233
Apparently it is sorta connected to military (though I'm not 100% sure, since DGAC is something something aeronáutica civil).
I haven't researched this really. I think first I should improve Spanish, because otherwise I won't pass examination as retarded...
>>
>>1365233
Sorry I am the anon from earlier, forgot to type a reply. Its exhausting because it takes long, you are in a holding area while waiting for each specialist to call you so you go from station to station. They will do a complete checkup including an interview with a psychiatrist, ECG, dentist, hearing, visual, etc. Now mind you I am only experienced on the type of checkup that is done at the Air Force Hospital Aerospace Medicine Center, there's another place that is more for civilians but the standard seems to be the same, doesn't help that both are called CEMAE.
>>
>>1365236
DGAC is a civilian institution controlled by the military, and the only ones that certify doctors to work and give certificates is the Air Force. I know that if you have a medical condition you can search the list of certified doctors, get an appointment and tell them your issue. Its up to their judgment if they let it pass but because their carreer is in the line of you not fucking up its pretty likely they will reject you regardless.
>>
>>1365241
>dentist
Hm. What do they check? Because I have some problems.
>>1365244
Ok.
>>
>>1365248
No idea, didn't had an issue so they released me after a quick look.
>>
>>1365250
How many attempts can I have?
>>
>>1365252
There's no limit, its just expenisve and tedious. Dunno if you have to repeat everything or just check what you failed probably depends on how long you wait.
>>
>>1365253
>tedious.
Well, I don't think it is as bad as standing in line in extranjería 8:00 to 13:00, or is it?
Anyway. I think it is doable, would take couple times maybe (and maybe I should get rid of fat and do something to a little bit not straight back)... Depends how they will treat non-citizens, really.
>>
>>1365233
Okay, so basically you gotta get exams done beforehand, some blood tests, HIV testing, heart exams, "brain" exams (idk the name of those but they basically tape some shit to your head and make lights flicker), urine... that kinda shit. After that you gotta reserve an hour to go to the "centro de medicina aeronáutica y ocupacional" and do a whole range of other tests like: Hearing, Eyes, Teeth, Ears, Psychological interview and some exams on the computer.... It's a very tiring process but I believe it's only like that the first time you get the approval, after that it's shorter.
>>
>>1365257
same guy. When I went to get my exams done, I had already been in contact with the flight school I wanted to fly with, so they helped me out a lot on making the process a bit faster. But imo if you really wanna fly, going there and "wasting" half a day is nothing.
>>
>>1365248
>Because I have some problems.
What kind of problems?
>>
>>1365256
Nah you are sitting down in a lounge waiting for your name. As long as you pay I would expect them to provide you with an adequate service. Now I wonder more about the psychiatrist interview, asking doesnt hurt. Make sure you inquiry at the civilian place and not the Air Force center. Their page is CEMAE dot CL
>>
>>1365258
I am interested on how schools are there. I heard they dont really let you fly that much and its more of ground lessons rather than actual flying.
>>
>>1364955
Go in with a few buddies and buy shares of a plane if you can afford one. It's more about the flexibility desu.
>>
>>1365259
No pain (yet), but ideally I should have 8-th tooth removed or fixed. + overall state is kinda meh. Also I have two dental crowns, but I guess it doesn't really matter. and can be fixed.
>>1365257
Do they test stewardess for HIV? Friend asking...
>>1365258
If you want anything in Chile, it is wasting a day, really.
I'm kinda used to this, since in my shithole it is the same.
>>1365260
>Their page is CEMAE dot CL
Ok, I'll check it.
Also I think standard is called "CMAE"...
>>
>>1365261
I'm not sure who told you that. But it does depend on what flight school you go to. You could take lessons from an air club but I've heard people advise against them if you're shooting for a CPL. Right now I'm at a 141 (here it's DAN141 rather than Part 141 from the FAA) Flight School and going thru the Private Pilot stage. I finished 2.5 months of ground school and now I'm just flying until I get my license and start the IFR stage.
>>
>>1365264
1. Should be okay
2. Pretty sure they do. Airlines do their own medical checks too, might wanna check if they do HIV.
3. Amen
>>
>>1365264
>>1365266
same guy again. I'd advise going to the Air Force Hospital and doing it there, I've had friends waiting 3 months for results, and I got them in about 2-3 weeks in the Air Force Hospital.
>>
File: apumark.png (98 KB, 612x491)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
>>1365267
Can I do it both?
>>
>>1365265
You don’t fly while doing you ground? That sounds silly but at the same time I guess it’s less stress. Also I fucking knew it they copied a lot of the FAA and adapted it to the country. The only thing that they didn’t adapt where the airspaces because when I look at a chart they are fucking everywhere. Good to know tho, do you mind telling me the name of your school or you rather not? Looking for a place to convert my FAA
>>
>>1365269
If you hate money go for it
>>
>>1365271
What would happen if one place denies, and second doesn't.
>>
>>1365272
Would guess the denied one would supersede the approved one.
>>
>>1365269
>>1365272
No clue, my dudes
>>
>>1365270
We fly while doing ground in IFR. I'd rather you adding me somewhere else like discord for that info.
>>
>>1365274
>>1365273
I guess I will break their system.
>>
>>1365275
Send me an email with your username, should be up there. I will add you probably tomorrow because gotta sleep I have a check ride in the morning.
>>
>>1365278
Nvm I fucked up now it should show.
>>
Going you EAA Oshkosh for the first time. Anyone been there able to tell me what I’m in for?
>>
>>1365224
If you’re flying a Cessna, never get above 100KIAS on downwind
>>
>>1365284
Never been there, but you might see Tom Cruise or Harrison Ford
>>
>>1365362
Should I be going slow on downwind? Around 80 kts? I don't feel like I have enough time to do my checklists. (Flying a C-152)
>>
>>1358440

Doesn't Emirates have 12x weekly A380 service to Amsterdam?

The way I saw the question, it was *any* airline, not an airline that uses your local airport as a hub.

KLM would never buy A380s since it is not a premium-heavy airline and doesn't have many routes with a critical mass of premium demand to warrant an A380 (e.g. LHR-JNB, CDG-SFO). But that doesn't mean AMS has *no* A380 routes whatsoever.

Come to think of it, I wonder how a premium-heavy airline like Cathay has been able to get away with not having A380s.
>>
Hey it's approaching that time and I was wondering general opinions on ERAU for aviation. The price is really putting me off when I have some full ride stuff for other schools.

Trying to get a job with the Air National Guard and do ROTC just incase.
>>
>>1365397
I don’t know how you feel you don’t have time. But I guess that’s just practice

https://youtu.be/w_Bbs4K7L5U
>>
>>1365681
What do you want to know about it?
>>
>>1366061
Just if its worth the price and if the ROTC program or the school itself will help me in any future endeavors. I know they market themselves as being the premier pilot school but I dont know how truthful that is.
>>
>tfw getting experience in the aviation industry through Line Service Technician work
It's bretty cool getting to see all these different models and variants of aircraft up close.
>>
>>1365641
Because the A380 is an uneconomical piece of shit.
>>
>>1366072
The flight training is good here, and in my opinion the level of instruction is much better than part 61 training elsewhere. Every time I get a part 61 student that starts the training in instrument I’m appalled at the level of background knowledge from their private pilot training. The price is about what you’d find at other part 141 schools though. The real expensive part is tuition; it is very pricey comparatively speaking. Now, I thoroughly enjoyed my degree program and learned a lot, but that was a few years ago and some of the professors have retired, so I can’t vouch for the new ones. The ROTC programs are good, but require lots of dedication and time (patience..). I didn’t do them but had some buddies do it. Most of them are not pilots; from what I understand the Air Force likes pilots with engineering degrees because they aren’t just hiring a pilot, but someone they can place in other slots if necessary. They do offer scholarships and I know the flight department is trying to create a pathway program for easier transition to flying slots for flight students.
>>
>>1365684
I'm based in an airfield with a small dirt strip, so circuits around it are pretty fast, but I'm getting the hang of them
>>
>Be me
>Always wanted to be a pilot, took some lessons ages ago, finally decide to go for it
>Local community college has a pretty well-regarded flight training program, figure I'll start there since it's really affordable compared to private schools
>Get really excited about flying in a couple of months
>Go to register for the class and find out they just changed their structure and instead of flight and ground school being co-requisites, now you have to take a semester of ground school before you can go anywhere near a plane

Feels bad man, I was really looking forward to flying again. I guess at least I've got a few more months to save up for good gear and stuff like that.
>>
>>1366950
Huh, that sucks. I went up on literally my first day.
>>
>>1366992
Yeah, that seems to be normal with private flight schools, but not with this CC one. I guess they probably want to filter out people who are going to fuck around and put hours on their planes for no reason or who are dumb enough to be a real problem.
>>
>>1364587
No, you sound autistic
>>
File: 1nqtmn.jpg (321 KB, 1065x1379)
321 KB
321 KB JPG
>>1367055
But why, is it bad to be autistic?
>>
File: 211973618393t83.jpg (32 KB, 700x436)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>mfw I bust the Commercial ASEL on the oral.
>>
>>1367428
I did the same thing the first time, but because the examiner was asking me shit on the fucking airlines for some reason. Even my instructor was pissed.
>>
>>1367437
I think all pilots are autistic with OCD.
Normal human can't remember all that digits and switches position.
>>
>>1367455
Like what
>>
>>1367455
I wanted to take responsibility for it but I'm finally accepting the fact that I got a bad dpe. I was told by 3 different instructors he was tough and "good luck" but he was the only one available within a week and I was trying to finish up ASAP. Took 3 hours and he was digging on everything, it felt like he was really just looking for me to trip up. I was doing fine though till I blanked on a simple question. When I contacted another examiner he wanted to know everything and how I messed up supposedly the easiest ride. When I told him he was in disbelief and said it's ridiculous that I was even asked that question, and absurd that it took 3 hours and still not done. We had weather, systems, and human factors to go. I was pissed, initially at myself for missing such a simple question, but after contacting this other guy I know it's mostly not my fault. It's my fault for going with him even after being warned and I'm just pissed this is on my record forever now.
>>
>>1367690
What question nigga
>>
>>1367693
You're gonna call me retarded but an E6B question. Asked me to find actual groundspeed if it takes longer to do a leg than planned. I was thinking lmao dude just fail me already since like 30 min into the test. I blanked thinking it was a more complex equation then just lining up distance and time. Sat there fiddling around for 5 minutes before I gave some bs answer.
>>
>>1367693
Other examiner was furious haha says we don't even use e6b anymore. I feel the same way, with GPS, flight following, and all the technology we have, when's the last time you brought a fucking e6b flying with you and actually use it?? I understand the older generation wants us to know how, and I do, but I hadn't picked that shit up since my written which was months ago.
>>
>>1367698
>>1367697
It probably wasn’t that you didn’t give him the right answer, it’s that you guessed and served him some BS. I hate when my students do that let them know it; I also try to reward them when they admit they simply do not know something. My job is to teach, not sift through bullshit. On a related note, the most underrated concept in flight planning is D=RT. Use it to find TAS in the climb, leg length, actual leg distance, actual ground speed, etc. The E6B is just a tool to implement that equation, among other things. Don’t make it more difficult than it really is.
>nobody uses an e6B anymore, that’s a dumb question
It’s just not. Learn how to use the tools
>>
>>1367707
>I bring my analog flight computer with me every time I fly! Every 5 minutes I make sure to verify my position along my hand plotted course on my paper sectional chart. I make sure we have the correct wca, figure our groundspeed, fuel burn, and make adjustments to the ETA. I know I could easily gather all this information by glancing at my GPS or ipad, but I'm a fucking boomer. After my calculations are complete I turn to my student and ask him to kindly whip out his cock so that I may slobber on it.

My point is I knew how to use it, but was already mentally checked out of the ride and had the wrong attitude going into it. It took me by surprised because I didn't brush up on it. Of course I make sure my students know how to do it the old fashioned way, but that is for flight training purposes. If you think there's people going up with an e6b and actually using it in flight for anything other than training or a private checkride you're insane.
>>
>>1367707
>It probably wasn’t that you didn’t give him the right answer, it’s that you guessed and served him some BS
Hah, that's funny, my instructors always told me to just tell him something instead of saying "I don't know."
>>
Ok guys, first solo coming up this week. Advice for not shitting my pants?
>>
So does flubbing a PPL stage check fuck you up in the airlines eyes as bad as flubbing up an ATP checkride?
>>
>>1367743
just don't fall

sit.
relax.
ride.
with an acorn stairlift.
>>
>>1367737
What fucking good does that do? It isn’t an English paper. If Flight Service asks you what your remaining fuel on board is and you just pull something out of your ass it does nobody any good. If you need to broadcast your position in an emergency and you never learned how to properly read the VOR or HSI, are you just gonna give some random radial because you gotta say something?
>>1367728
>What is the CTAF frequency at this airport?
Better check the iPad
>which way is the airport?
Better check the iPad
>when am I gonna get there?
Better check the iPad
>How much gas am I gonna use for this diversion?
Better check the iPad
>how far am I from the airport?
Better check the iPad

etc, etc.
You better hope it never runs out of battery, overheats, fails to update, or gets forgotten at home.
>>
>>1367791
Boomer confirmed. Why you guys always assume everything, literally EVERYTHING will fail is beyond me. So I leave my ipad on the dash and it overheats. Big deal, I'll pull out my backup ipad. Whoops that's dead too? I'll use foreflight on my phone. Oh now you're telling me my phones dead too? Good thing I fly with a portable battery pack with fast charging. Somehow that's dead also? Assuming all this shit somehow fails along with the GPS in the plane, that's when I use my VOR radios, or better yet dial up approach and ask for a quick vector. I even said this to my examiner and he said ohh noope radar coverage is out. If all this shit is dying or out of service there is probably some kind of fucking EMP strike going on. Now I have my expired paper charts, plotter, e6b all in my bag in the back seat. I don't think anyone is going to care that I used an outdated paper chart to navigate to the nearest field when experiencing that many failures. Because if all that shit is going down we are probably about to be nuked by Russia or China.
>>
>>1367804
>looks like my iPad is out
>better pull out my backup iPad
>hm looks like my backup iPad is out
>better get out my phone
>hm looks like my phone is out
>better call up approach so they can figure it out for me
Jesus Christ lol. Like I said, the E6B is a tool to help with D=RT calculations. If you don’t want to use the E6B that bad then use rules of thumb or whatever to figure it out. God forbid you have to look at something paper, too.
>>
>>1367804
Autism confirmed. I said I have no problem using the paper, it's just the chance of all of these progressing to even considering asking atc for help is like .01%
>>
>>1367804
While I dont agree on everything one thing you said is true, right now I am in IR and all my stage checks are partial panel shit, I have never done a proper approach because the checker pulls the breaker for the PFD and I have to use the the instruments which are in an awkward position to navigate the approach as best as possible. And no, using revisionary mode isn't allowed and not really useful because I prefer to have the map of the approach instead. At one approach he even deactivated the wind corrected vector and expected me to maintain centerline, what a fucking fag.
>>
File: 6141b.jpg (286 KB, 1200x1200)
286 KB
286 KB JPG
>>1367834
Sounds gay, i dont have a g1000 but pic related and my instructor would always block them out. Its good practice I guess but real world scenario of that failing I'm asking for a PAR right away.
>>
>>1367804
I feel you, that scenario has a 0.000001% chance of ever happening to anyone ever. However knowing the basics gives you a better understanding of whats going on in the background of all the technology.

If that doesn't make you feel better, here's how I lied to myself so i could be motivated to pass calculus in uni;
That thing you think has no application in the real world? It has one real world application, to make you pass your exam/checkride so you can get a rating. That's it. Buckle the fuck down and study or start looking for a McJob.
>>
>>1367834
>At one approach he even deactivated the wind corrected vector and expected me to maintain centerline, what a fucking fag
How about using the HSI or VOR to maintain positive course guidance as required per the instrument ACS? Sole reference to the MFD is not course guidance, and meant to be supplementary in nature.
>using reversionary mode isn’t allowed
That’s funny because it literally states in the ACS using secondary displays when the primary fails. Also it’s on the appropriate checklist which you should be following. Quit complaining
>>
>>1367910
Without the PFD I loose any VOR or HSI reference, I am not complaining just for the sake of it. Without the PFD all I have is the 3 standbys (Airspeed, Altimeter and Attitude) and the moving map on the MFD. Its good you told me about the ACS because if he stops me again I can just refer to it.
>>
>>1367936
You have to use all the skill elements under the “non-precision approach” task for the “approach with loss of primary flight indicators task”. This includes maintaining the final approach path within 3/4 scale deflection of lateral and vertical guidance, which requires the use of the HSI. If you lose the PFD you have to switch to reversionary mode to ensure course guidance is maintained.
>>
>>1367791
Ipads are approved for commercial and RPT IFR flights in Australia instead of carrying those awful bloody paper charts provided the company has electronic flight bag approval. The basic gist if you have two of them that are up to date and you're good to go. Year in, year out I've never ever had two overheat/whatever/bullshit.

Stick to using paper charts during your training and them promptly forget about them because the basic skills are like riding a bicycle and it's extra workload you don't need.
>>
>>1367834
Glass cockpits are both a blessing and a curse when it comes to training if you ask me. All the failures the instructor can give you are generally pretty mild, I mean you don't have to do approaches off an NDB watching the altimeter, compass and VSI obsessively, you have a backup AH.
But I've flown with people who demanded speed control down to the knot, and using all the perks of the G1000 can often demand as much time as just flying it by hand though with tighter margins. I've also noticed I tend to fixate more with glass than with steam gauge.
>>
>>1368105
The iPad is reliable and I use one all the time. The problem is when students gravitate to iPad rather than flight or navigational instruments for information and develop a bad reliance on it. For IFR flights it’s a huge help not carrying around low enroute charts and paper approach plates, but for VFR flights I can’t stand it when students are unable to apply the 60:1 rule or find a heading to get somewhere without the iPad telling them everything.
>>
File: TCAS.jpg (232 KB, 1920x1080)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
You're in the club and this guy slaps your GF on her vertical speed. What do?
>>
>>1367756
This is a really good article I want you to read. http://www.cockpit2cockpit.com/blog/2017/7/11/skeletons-in-the-closet
>>
>>1368277
Checked and thank you so much for showing me that. This gives me a little bit of renewed confidence heading forward after a stage 2 PPL failure. That article certainly gave an underlying re-inforcement to "Study, study, study" for every stage check and checkride from here on out.

Also, lol at airlines asking about public sex offences. I assume it's to make sure you aren't trying to join the "Mile High Club"?
>>
>>1365641
>>1366135

Because CX is a cargo-heavy airline and the A380, for various reasons, is not suited for cargo-only use. Freight makes up 25% of CX/Cathay Dragon revenue
>>
>>1368398
That’s good. I had failed two checkrides (CFI) in a row and felt really close to giving up. But I passed (read: scrapped by) earlier this month and now I’m working and it’s given me the confidence I desperately needed. We all will make it, if we want it hard enough. Good luck!
>>
>>1368200
Yeah I'd be inclined to agree. We all did our 150 hours or so of dead reckoning and it definitely does teach a skill, I think it helps with multi-tasking and SA. I flew around VFR for about 1000 hours (using the ipad of course). Now flying IFR and even though the GPS is a requirement there is an element of dead reckoning on busy days.
>>
>>1368267
turn left heading 250 and get out of there
>>
>>1369895
Fucking hell I just got it.
>>
Just finished my first trip of IOE as an airline pilot. Flew in and out of DTW, ORD, EWR and DEN a number of times. Definitely a steep learning curve but it’s the realization of years of training and hard work. Even though I’m just a regional pilot still feelsgoodman.jpg
>>
how to become blimp pilot
>>
>>1370804
I'm more interested in blimp-train driver.
>>
>>1361764
Skip ERAU, Florida Tech is far better and gives a good degree with your flight training as a fall back if you lose your medical.
>>
First time here. Just left a message at my local flight school with 4.5 stars and am just curious about the whole thing. I'm 18 with perfect eyesight and military-able. I want to fly privately to travel and do a cool job, possibly volunteering for military in the case of war. My flight school costs are only like 11,000$ which is fine in comparison to the debt my friends in school are getting.

Is there some resources online or anything I should look into in regards to all of this stuff? Like what type of person should I be to become a private pilot, what should I know prior, why you should do it and what not.
>>
>>1371066
On becoming a pilot - you definitely need to be able to self-study most of the material. Don't be one of those students who needs to take 4 ground lessons on one topic because you can't be bothered to read the damn book.

Some training resources you can find online are The Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, The Airplane Flying Handbook, the current Federal Aviation Regulations (14 CFR Parts 61+91 mostly.), and the Aeronautical Information Manual.

On flying privately to travel - Ultimately will depend on the Aircraft you want, the nature of your travel needs, and the size of your bank account. Some economic factors to consider when owning an Aircraft would be Fuel costs, Maintenance costs (Annual inspections and more), Insurance, and Storage fees at the local airport.
>>
>>1370843
What about something that's NOT in a part of the country that's a 100 degree 100% humidity swamp? I was looking at ERAU's Arizona campus because it seemed like the most tolerable weather of any of the major fight schools, I'm from SoCal so I can deal with heat as long as it's dry. Doesn't look like there's much in the way of in-state options, the only two in CA that seem to have R-ATP waivers are jesus freak schools, and I want to get the fuck out of this state anyway.
>>
>>1371209

Arizona State University has an R-ATP Flight Program partnered with ATP Inc. You attend classes at the ASU-East campus and then walk across the street to ATP flight school to do the flight training.
>>
>>1371198
On numbers, I don't consider myself the brightest individual, but if you give me a job I will do it to the best of my abilities. Are pilots at all exceptionally smart?

I'll get those books either on paper or in PDF.

I'm thinking about signing for Skywest for 2 years to have my tuition paid off that way I'll have experience and some money in my pocket to do a better job. I wouldn't mind a job where I'm traveling internationally though. I'm also not opposed to having a crew with me, it sounds great honestly.
>>
>>1371216
Pilots don't really need to be exceptionally smart, we mostly use simple algebra. You just need to be able to exercise thorough decision making and analyze outcomes imo.
>>
>>1371232
I see. Guess I could brush up on my algebra a bit too while I'm at it. Thanks for the advice man. Anything else I should know about getting into flying and whatnot?
>>
>>1371232
Actually, more stupid more better, because smart pilots would do shit like pull and push breakers that poped out, and it is not good.
No, really, I would trust bus driver more, than engineer that designed an aircraft.
>>
>>1371216
>Are pilots at all exceptionally smart?
Hahahaha

No. Some are, but it is not a requirement from my experience.
>>
File: Avalon - Catalina Island.jpg (2.22 MB, 4032x3024)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB JPG
>>1371241
1. Be prepared to spend more $$$ than you originally planned. (extra lessons, test fees, equipment)

2. Study hard.

3. Have fun.
>>
Any of you guys wish you could go back to ww1 or ww2 and try your luck in combat with what you know now? I don’t mean just dropping in to a combat flight, but knowing what you do now, you go through training and then get sent to the pacific. Think you’d do well?
>>
>>1371212
Hm, that could be an interesting option. I gotta see what it takes to get in, though, it's been a long time since high school (I'm in my 30s) and it's hard to get into a normal university, especially across state lines, that's part of why I was looking at private schools like ERAU. I'm starting my training with a local community college's flight training program but that'll only take me as far as instructor, not into the ATP range or to a degree, but maybe I can knock off some normal classes while I'm at it and be ready for a transfer.
>>
>>1371280
I know when I see old videos of dogfights I think how incredible it is.
>>
File: clouds.jpg (2.73 MB, 4656x2328)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB JPG
>>1356376

I need to pick up a nice camera for these weather shots. I love taking pictures while flying.

141 stage check and end-of course and it's on to my IFR checkride.

Finally getting some actual imc time in too. I feel really good about this.

What can I expect from commercial? My understanding is that it's mostly building hours and practical experience, tightening tolerances and regs. Anything else I should look out for?

>>
>>1373341
Demonstrate “mastery of the aircraft”, properly managing your energy and actually using the rudders. You’ll learn much of what you know from private to a more in-depth level, and be able to apply decision-making skills in a practical and efficient manner. Look into weather as well; apply it to VFR flights and make a practical go/no go decision as if you were getting paid to do it.
>>
>>1373341
I say this with love anon. Just remember that as soon as you mint your commercial license you're just as dumb as you were when you showed up to the checkride. You are barely hireable. The commercial is a hurdle to clear, but you have a long way to go and the commercial is just another in a long series of chances to learn how to be a professional pilot. Enjoy my dude, its nice on the other side.
>>
>>1371066
Read “Stick and Rudder” by Wolfgang Langeweische. Every pilot should read it, it’s a great book pertaining to what you should know (aerodynamics wise.)
>>
>>1370843
Really? I’m considering ERAU and Florida Tech, how does the curriculum go for the flying major?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4wj6Lepeo0
>>
>>1373543
Rest In Power King
>>
>>1367697
It’s literally because you gave him a BS answer...

When I took my commercial oral, the examiner asked me “do you know proper spin recognition and recovery by memory?” I ALMOST said yet. Which would have been a lie. But I remembered having people say never lie to a DPE, so I told the truth and said that I’m not knowledgeable on spins and he said “ok, take out the POH and show me how to do a recovery”
>>
>>1367791
You know that most airlines around the world use iPads, right?

Retard
>>
>>1370439
Based.

you went to GoJet right?
>>
>>1374222
Yessir. Loving it so far. I am kinda bummed though because I finished IOE about 1 hour too late to get my bid in for the base I wanted. Now I get an entire extra month on reserve in Detroit :/
>>
>>1374219
Hol up, checkin the iPad
>>
>>1358345
option 3 my dude
>>
>>1374360
Sorry about the loss of flying :(
>>
>>1374360
Does GoJet have a base near where you live, or will you be a forever commuter?
>>
>>1374438
It’s not a huge deal cuz we just picked up a boat load of flying from United. By the end of next summer when we lose the delta flying, we will have about the same number of aircraft under the United banner.
>>1374493
I’m living on base in STL. Just moved here yesterday
>>
>>1374524
I didn't know they provided housing. Breddy gool
>>
>>1374524
That’s nice
>>
>>1374535
They don’t but “on base” means he drives to work vs. commuting in via another airport. The quality of life this affords is generally seen as massively worth it.
>>
File: 0810012_6.jpg (522 KB, 1200x797)
522 KB
522 KB JPG
Will a single-jet airliner ever happen?
I'm thinking a short-medium distance, narrow-body airliner. The engine and tail could be configured similar to pic related.
Some of you may think this is unrealistic, but that is exactly what people thought about twin-engines going long distance, look where they are now!
>>
tfw no plane loicens
>>
Any tips for studying the written exam?
>>
>>1376256
Use online software and only read the correct answer. Go through all the questions at least 10x and never allow yourself to read an incorrect answer until the practice test just prior to taking the real thing. The question bank the software will have should be similar enough in verbaige that you'll recognize the answer to the question instantly upon seeing it. I use this method and the lowest score I've gotten on a written is a 94%. I usually finish the test in less than 10 mins as well.
Is it cheating? Not really. Did I learn the material? Hell no.

For private I recommend ASA/sportys study budy. For every other written just use sheppard air. Costs 40 bucks but it's well worth the money.
>>
Do the airlines use piss tests or follicle tests?
>>
>>1376278
neither. They use semen samples
>>
>>1376288
That's just for the FAs
>>
>>1376278
piss. Follicle tests are rarely used outside the military or if they suspect someone faked a negative piss test
>>
>wanted to be a private pilot once i'd built up the savings for it
>take an eye test on a whim earlier today
>get told i have a mild form of red-green colour blindness and so would fail the UK medical
i'm not even sure how to feel about this
>>
>>1376366
Say you're trans, you will get near the head of the line.
>>
>>1376366
pop over to the US and get a loicens. There are literal retards over here with private certs.
>>
>>1375136
Seems unlikely to me because of the lack of redundancy. The thing about the transition from quad to tri to twinjets is that it wasn't really about power in normal operation, but instead about engine out performance. Twinjets became possible because engines hit the point where the plane could finish a flight on a single engine. A single jet doesn't have that option at all, if you lose the engine all you can do is hope there's somewhere to land within gliding range.
>>
>>1376296
Cathay uses hair tests
>>
I just got an amazing email.

I’ve already started my flight training for my PPL and just soloed last week for the first time. So far I’ve been paying for it all out of pocket, but I was just told that I’m going to have the entire thing paid for by my company!

I work for Collins Aerospace (formerly Rockwell Collins) designing glass cockpit avionics. And so I thought, fuck it, this does directly help me in my job and so on a whim I went to my manager and tried to convince him to get the company to pay for it. It’s been like a week since then and I had basically forgotten about it till I got this email. And now I get up to $10K for my flight training and $500 for a headset (gonna add some of my money to that to get a nice one tho). I feel like I just won big in Vegas while bluffing.

I guess I might not be able to swing it twice and get them to pay for my IFR but at least I don’t have to save up.
>>
>>1376721
>designing glass cockpit avionics
Tell whomever is supporting touchscreen avionics development to shove it up their ass, that dumb fad needs to die already.

Also congrats on getting someone else to foot the bill, it takes a lot of pressure off flight training.
>>
>>1376848
>touchscreen avionics development to shove it up their ass
second this
>>
Kill me

https://youtu.be/JONkLEx6zeE
>>
>>1376854
>>1376848

What exactly do you guys hate about them?
>>
>>1377293
The lack of haptic feedback, I would imagine.
>>
>>1377293
You can't use them blindfolded. This will annoy the fuck of everyone, who is used to do everything by feel.
>>
>>1377293
I hate trying to punch in something when it’s bumpy as fuck. I want the kinesthetic feedback of a button. That and the screen gets smudged and dirty. Also when it’s cold and I gotta use gloves many don’t work with the touchscreens. It is just trying to solve a problem that doesn’t exist.
>>
>>1377293
yes lack of haptic feedback.
Inability to use them without having to look at what your're touching.
Turbulence? You just slipped your greasy finger all the way down the screen and wasted time inputting the wrong data.
Slow processors weighed down by unnecessary menu visuals and animations.
Glare from all the fingerprints and smudges on the screen.
Added cost of unnecessary features implemented just to make boomers say "wow isnt that neat?"

Dont get me wrong, a nice big high res screen is great. All the new integration features are awesome, but they need to "trim the fat". I'm not advocating for a return to garmin 430s or anything like that
>>
Does anyone have advice or thoughts about how to start learning to fly sailplanes? Flying and finding lift without an engine sounds really fun and peaceful desu, and the reduced costs since you don't have to maintain the motor makes gliding seem much more doable moneywise.
>>
>>1377411
google glider parks and soaring clubs in your area. go for a discovery flight
>>
I’m scared..

Economists are saying that we may spring back into another recession in 2021.........

I don’t want to be stuck in the regionals for life((
>>
>>1377296
>>1377337
>>1377383
>>1377400

As long as there is still a method to fully control your avionics without using the touchscreen do you feel that the option is still useful?

I will actually voice some of your concerns.
>>
>>1378321
yeah i guess. The one big pro of touchscreen is having a full text keyboard but thats the only one i can think of
>>
>>1378321
Not really, because it will add cost for a feature people don’t want, making it less desirable. Honestly there is nothing wrong with buttons to control everything, just improve the interface and make it sensible to operate and people will like it.
>>
>>1359041

The only carriers I can see supporting an A380 to Seattle are BA/LH/EK.

SQ and QR have no A380 destinations in the Americas, it's all 77L/77W and A350.

Etihad doesn't even fly to SFO, and LAX is 4 weekly. No way EY flies to SEA before restarting SFO.

KE's A380s are way too premium-heavy for a small leisure-heavy market like SEA. They struggle to get 80% load from SEA (and SFO) with the 77W, and there are only 10 A380s in the fleet, they're more suited to JFK/LHR/LAX.

Asiana is similarly out of the question, they only have four A380s, and already get high load factors with the 77L/359.

BA/LH *might* work due to the booming cruise ship industry in Seattle, and connecting tech traffic to India (where LH competes with EK). It's still a tough sell considering LH flies the 333 into SEA during winter, and EK prefers the additional belly cargo of the 77W (to shuttle aircraft parts from Boeing Everett to their maintenance base at DXB).

All of this is moot though, since the Port of Seattle will never shell out the money for A380 gates.

By the way MUC-SEA, MUC-BLR and AMS-BLR (which can feed into Delta's SEA-AMS flights) were all recently announced
>>
>>1378409
You seem to know a lot.

How do you think Koreans load factor will be going from ICN to Bali? Will be nonreving soon and need to zed the rest of the way with Korean.
>>
>>1378409

> SQ and QR have no A380 destinations in the Americas, it's all 77L/77W and A350.

SIN-FRA-JFK still uses A380s
>>
Bro ditches his beachcraft:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgQAiG3pQis
>>
How hard is it to fly an elicop? My city has some sweet eliambulance and i wanna fly them
>>
File: 348.jpg (69 KB, 415x739)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>1379389
he literally just bought it too. This girls expression is priceless. Glad everything worked out though
>>
>>1379431
The fact that she wasn’t crying or freaking out makes her waifu material
>>
I've been thinking about trying a new general, maybe "professional aviation general" or something along those lines. Unlike /gag/ it would focus specifically on those of us who make our paychecks in aviation or who aspire to do so, but it would also welcome people from the industry who are not pilots, from cabin crew to airport staff to technicians. Anybody interested?
>>
>>1377400
>Turbulence? You just slipped your greasy finger all the way down the screen and wasted time inputting the wrong data.
I think Gulfstream did a really smart thing by designing all of their touchscreens with "grab points," so in turbulence you can reach your fingers around the back to brace your hand while using your thumb to make actual inputs. I'd be a lot more open to touchscreen avionics if everybody did that.
>>
>>1380082
sure go ahead
>>
>>1380082
I wouldn't be a fan personally. /n/ is slow enough without fragmenting the base. Besides I fly purely commercially but I fly 206/210/208 and I've noticed not a lot of people who fly for the pay check are on those types.
>>
>>1380082
I mean its not like we need it, this gag has been up for some days now n is a slow board

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.