[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

What are trains in Africa like?
Has anyone here tried them?
If yes, how was the ride?
>>
bump
>>
I heard your mom went to Africa for the trains
>>
>>1356194
Big if true
>>
File: keepcoming.png (1.3 MB, 1349x729)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
>>1356173
i don't know but here's an unrelated video i enjoy that your pic made me think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPyYGw9Jn6w
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijjup1_qYTw

Dakar's TER, connecting the city to the AIBD airport (Aéroport International Blaise Diagne). The Alstom trains are similar to the ones running on several French TER.
Honestly it doesn't look half bad
>>
>>1358096
Ten years from now the trains will be in abysmal condition and will run once a day to save money. Unless the Europeans operate it too it's doomed.
>>
>>1356173
I bless the trains down in aaaafricaaaaa
>>
>>1358457
It will be in abysmal condition if its underfunded, which can be a reality with or without Europeans.
>>
>>1356194
absolutely spit roasted
>>
>>1358538
>>
I once took the train from Mwanza to Kigoma in Tanzania.
Had a stopover in Tabora.

First part was in old (Indian?) cars. Suspension was half gone,.so our sleeper coach slammed into the blocks on every bump in the track. And it was a lot of bumps. Holes in the floor of the car, Leather of the couch half gone.
At the end we had to pay extra money to get our bikes back.

For the second leg we had to wait three days in Tabora. Every morning we went to the railway office to try and buy a ticket. They didn't know when the next train would be riding. Waiting was worthwile, we got a ticket in their best train. Five year old chinese stuff, that hadn't fallen apart yet. However, unfortunately the locomotive wasn't strong enough to get up a hill halfway, so we had to wait 7 hours for an engine from the other side to help pull us up the hill.

Quite an experience. Incompetence and corruption to extreme levels, although some people are all right.
>>
>>1358692
Upvoted !
>>
File: 25763.jpg (391 KB, 1200x799)
391 KB
391 KB JPG
>>1359090
>First part was in old (Indian?) cars. Suspension was half gone
Oh yeah, cool vibrations.
I have moved away from Russia, but I unironically miss suburban trains, which are 60+ years old, have old material (asbestos?) smell in them and have all sorts of vibrations and jerky movement happening in them. Also I miss broken doors (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d0MfXQFJkY).
>Holes in the floor of the car,
Well, I guess a little bit more fucked up than Russian trains.
>Leather of the couch half gone.
Well, they should have installed wooden seats.

Btw, what gauge do they have there? It could have been original old cars left by white people there.
>>
File: IMG-20180602-WA0001.jpg (200 KB, 1280x720)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
>>1359095
I'm not that much of a train freak, but my brother is. He thought it was indian. Pic related...

Could still be left by the English, they were also in India, of course.

Appearantly an indonesian company exploited the railway for some time. But they stopped paying the government the money accordin to the contract, because the government promissed that there would be 100+ engines on the lines, whereas it was less than 70 in reality...

I also got to see the MV Liemba in Kigoma. Bit it was being repaired :(

Also it was interesting to see that they had opened a train line to Iringa in the eighties, which was already abandonned.
And that there are still towns around (Mpanda) that are only accesible well by train. Especially during rainy season, when dirt roads are muddy.
>>
File: IMG-20180602-WA0004.jpg (106 KB, 899x1600)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
Inside of a car (1st class).
>>
File: IMG-20180602-WA0002.jpg (53 KB, 500x332)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Some old cars in Tabora.
This is all ive got on my phone. No access to the rest of the pics.
>>
>>1359118
>>1359121
Not too bad, state of Russian suburban train, really. Maybe a little bit dirtier.
What is really interesting, they look familiar to me...
Anyway, looks like they have 1 meter something gauge, right?
>>
Yeah. Probably like that...
>>
>>1359118
What's the name of said Indonesian Company anon? just curious
>>
https://griphon.livejournal.com/346557.html
>>
Nice!

The tracks look surpisingly well maintained. At least from a distance. The rolling stock is old though.

For the rest, my russian is kinda sub-par
>>
File: DSCN9202.jpg (448 KB, 1600x1200)
448 KB
448 KB JPG
I took a train in Mozambique it was a complete and total shitshow. Fun time.

Also took a sleeper in Zimbabwe. Neat colonial time machine, I'd imagine classic train people would get a kick out of it, but it was falling apart.
>>
>>1356173
Africa is a huge continent, you got everything. Awfully ill maintained trains which only run by chance. But there is also modern HSR on par with Europe and Japan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-1vjzMBVXA
>>
>>1359595
>fucking africa niggers have highspeed rail but my country doesn't
OH SAY CAN YOU SEE
>>
Aren’t the Chinese building new railroads in Africa to vacuum up natural resources and ship them to China?
>>
>>1359297
stop calling bad things fun.
>>
File: aaaaaaa.gif (557 KB, 400x400)
557 KB
557 KB GIF
>>1356440
>>
>>1359121
is this the ff8 remake?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.