[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 62 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: supercage.jpg (1.22 MB, 4032x2265)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
Why are American men often so fixated on trucks as a symbol of their masculinity? The bike is infinitely more masculine; you literally propel yourself through your own raw physical power, instead of passively sitting in a cage cultivating a beer gut as your travel to your destination without breaking a sweat. I can't think of anything more emasculating than relying on a machine to carry out a task as basic as locomotion.
>>
>>1344111
>he can’t afford a nice truck
>>
File: 1513016732437.jpg (90 KB, 504x566)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>1344112
>wasting your money just to prove to other people that you aren't poor
Absolutely American
>>
>>1344113
>being poor
>>
>>1344114
Fringie poster once again confirms he has no coherent criticisms of non-cage transport other than "lol poorfags"
>>
I wouldn’t say they attach THAT much masculinity to their trucks.
But when they hear urbanism and road diets they think you’re taking it away from them. And no it doesn’t make sense but it’s something they think.

That’s why it’s important for developers to talk to the community and fight NIMBYism
>>
>>1344111
>The bike is infinitely more masculine

Flawed premise
>>
>>1344116
>fight NIMBYism

Hell yeah! Us good urbanists know what's best for everyone--except when it's our neighborhood, of course. Then it's different because we're (obviously) right
>>
>>1344120
Why are you making shit up?
>>
>>1344122
The new meme he's forcing is that urbanists are NIMBYs. It's baseless, obviously, but cager trolls don't care for evidence or facts.
>>
>>1344122

States, cities, communities, and neighbors have a right to determine their own futures, even if it means you can't control them. That is more important than your autism.
>>
>>1344126
And you're trying to unconstitutionally exert government control over people's private property. Your mental handicap bars you from understanding that
>>
>>1344127
Incorrect.
>>
>>1344127
Living in any social organization larger than 1 person involves some degree of giving up one's rights for the interest of the gorup as a whole. Owning a piece of property doesn't give someone absolute veto power and the ability to hold society hostage.
>>
File: rivian truck.jpg (221 KB, 1200x800)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
Well we're about to start selling hybrid and electric trucks so I don't think they'll be attached to masculinity like they once were.

Ford's selling the hybrid F-150 next year.
>>
>>1344127
>[taxes intensify]
>>
>>1344145
Yeah, a lot of states just raised the gas tax to pay for all the wasteful suburban roads and highways.
>>
>Anno Domini 1563 + 456
>not owning both a bicycle and a truck
>ISHYGDDT
>>
>>1344136
Few people attach masculinity to their truck. Most people get them because they just like trucks, and now that quad cabs are basically standard, they can be a family vehicle too.

>>1344150
Bike lanes and transit a small percentage of the city ever uses is more wasteful.
>>
>>1344111

I drive a mother fuckin 2001 dodge ram 1500 SLT you fucking cunt.

I drive it cus it gets shit done.

I bought it for 2700 burger bucks cus I FUCKING NEED IT TO GET SHIT DONE.

ITS A WORK TRUCK, NOT A FUCKING TOY.

I want to see you haul a fucking truckload of shit without a fucking car you stupid basedboy.

What cha gona do? huh? shove that shit in the back of your fiat?
>>
>>1344111
Trucks became a symbol for masculinity by their association with manual labor. "Back in the day" people would actually own trucks for their utility and regularly use them. Nowadays, boomers and ameritards fool themselves into thinking they actually "need" trucks because they think they're more capable for transporting them to their minimum wage service job "because it snows" or some shit.
Basically the similar mentality behind SUV thots combined with truck nuts.

>>1344161
>I am an exception, therefore your generalization is incorrect
>>
>>1344167
You're allowed to buy whatever vehicle you can afford in America. Tough shit if you think people don't need it. You don't get to decide that you sociopath.
>>
>>1344168
You have a very narrow concept of freedom.
It's not just being able to do whatever you want.
It involves balancing the good of everyone.
>>
>>1344175
Good that someone knows what everyone else needs

Thank you based anon
>>
>>1344175
>head it the clouds of utopia

I get it, but with the current (((management))) in charge, nothing is going to change.
>>
File: 1525479404784.jpg (575 KB, 2047x1439)
575 KB
575 KB JPG
>>1344168
I'm not trying to tell people what to buy, I'm only making fun of people for being retarded. At least you admit that you're retarded by only responding with "but muh freedoms I do what I want!" lol
Imagine being happy as a corporate slave in a nation that forces you to finance expensive personal vehicles. It's honestly really sad.
>>
>>1344176
>>1344179
I'm not even saying anything specific. Only that If you think you should be able to just do what you want, and that's freedom, and anyone trying to tell you what to do is infringing on your freedom, then you don't really understand the concept.

Say you wanted to drink drive. Then you hit someone and kill them. They wanted to be free to travel safely.

There's no further point here, i'm only disputing your
>muh truck cos murrica is free country
logic.
It's nonsense.
Hell, i like pickup trucks. I'd own one. I have a car.
>>
>>1344184
He drives an old truck
It's probably not on finance
>>
>>1344184
It's up to the individual to buy what they can afford. If they mismanage their own finances, that is not your concern.

You're simply jealous of others. I know because I used to think exactly like you when I was in college.

>>1344186
>Strawmanning this hard
>>
>>1344189
>>muh truck cos murrica is free country

so you don't believe this?
>>
>>1344136
Why are electric vehicles intentionally designed to be fucking ugly
>>
>>1344187
>>1344189
again
>I am an exception, therefore your generalization is incorrect
>>
>>1344111
They all suffer with BTSD syndrome
>>
The most masculine of all transportation methods is endurance running. That's how our ancestors hunted. They chased a prey for tens of kilometers until it fell to the ground, exhausted.
Humans are the best species at endurance running.

To seriously answer your question, OP, harnessing power is masculine. The more power you harness, the more masculine you are.
>>
>>1344111
>Why are American men often so fixated on trucks as a symbol of their masculinity?

They aren't. FoMoCo and GM will write a note on a full luxury 50,000 dollar truck (a real work truck is 25k-30k) if you have your business incorporated have have some sort of assets and a business credit account.

This allows many people who would not qualify personally for an extravagant 50,000 USD truck to buy one.

Truth is most trucks sold in the US are poor work trucks because I'd say only about 1/4 are sold with the proper long bed. And if you get a "king cab" your bed is going to be shorter than even a short bed.

TLDR: easy credit, poor work trucks good luck hauling lumber.
>>
File: 8jvecxk4vkk01.jpg (57 KB, 604x534)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>1344168
>You don't get to decide that you sociopath.
"Sociopathy is when I can't destroy society to satisfy my own hedonistic drives, and the less I'm able to destroy society, the more sociopathic you are"
Ok bucko.
>>1344161
That's super for you, but I've been living in a middle America af town for the past year, and I have literally only once seen a truck actually carrying anything in its bed.
>>
What do you even carry in such a vehicle? You can carry fewer people, and vastly less efficiently than in a car, you can carry much less weight than in an actual truck, and you can't use it to efficiently carry an awful lot of stuff such as furniture, for which people use vans. They just seem like the worst of all worlds.
>>
I actually drive a truck and I’m a huge urbanist.
Also I can put my mountain bike in there
>>
There is nothing wrong with owning a ute or pickup if you actually use it like intended to carry things

But just like suburban soccer mums and SUVs, most people don't have the sort of lifestyle to actually need one, but buy them anyway
>>
>>1344113
lol poorfag
>>
>m-muh freedumb
>only way to get around city is by cage
>you have no choice but to buy a cage or move somewhere not cageified
>forced to pay tens of thousands of dollars for something you don't want
>freedumb
this is your brain on advertising. True freedom is walkability.
>walk to work, 30 minutes
>exercise, see your city, beholden to no one, come and go when you please, don't pay a single penny to anyone for the privilege
If your city isn't walkable or at least rail-transit-connected, you're being jewed just to get around for daily tasks.
>>1344113
This 100% whenever t/o/urists post here with that bullshit.
>>
>>1344330
>owning a $50,000 vehicle and paying $1k in various licenses and insurances a year plus $5k in maintenance/repair and another couple grand in gasoline a year, every year
>to haul a couch once every few years
You can rent a van/truck for like $20 a day.
>>
>>1344297
Our ancestors didnt live that long, and their knees would blow out if they ran in the modern concrete jungle. But I do understand your point.
>>
>>1344111
Bikes are machines.
>>
>>1344325
>"Sociopathy... lol well heck that's definitely not me, the guy who wants to control others"
>>
>>1344330
>They just seem like the worst of all worlds.
They're not, that's just your bias.

>>1344333
So what faggot?

>>1344336
Poor lol.

>>1344338
So? Some of us don't want to drive little econoboxes. If you do that's cool but don't begrudge others for what choices they make.
>>
File: 1463024283074.png (150 KB, 2120x2440)
150 KB
150 KB PNG
>>1344426
>wahhh wahhh I don't have the freedom to totally ruin society, therefore you're a sociopath
God, Western civilization is a mistake, and """people""" like you make me sick. You sound like the sorta dude who would start a militia because you think paying taxes makes you a slave.
>>
>>1344429
>Some of us don't want to
It's all "I want I want I want" with you people. People want all sorts of ridiculous, harmful things. Just because someone wants to rape kids doesn't mean we should let him, should we? Society will be a much better place when people who want giant wasteful vehicles are looked down on social parasites in the same way as molesters are.
>>
File: strawman.png (707 KB, 500x667)
707 KB
707 KB PNG
>>1344443
You're mistaken

>>1344448
Pic related
>>
>>1344429
>THREE line breaks between replies
imagine
>>
>>1344330
Usually garden bullshit and appliances and shit. Appliances usually shit the bed after 5 years so there's pretty much an endless cycle of buying and getting rid of old ones. It's easier to go to the store after work and pick up a fridge than having to take a day off and get your shit delivered.

>>1344338
Why do you think these rental companies are billion dollar companies? They make money off your ass when you pay """""""""""""$20 a day""""""""""""""""""" to rent a van or truck. Renting shit is also just a massive pain in the ass.
>>
>>1344469
Okay, but why a truck to move appliances? Why not a van? Here in Europe, it's always van-like vehicles that are used. I mean, having a dishwasher or a fridge exposed to the elements while driving doesn't seem like a great idea.
In other circumstances where people I know needed to haul garden stuff or bulk materials, they've always used a trailer coupled to their otherwise small car.
>>
>>1344484
vans are GAY
>>
>>1344484
Because vans are lame and you can buy a camper top for your truck or use a tarp or just pick it up when it's not going to rain. Trucks can tow trailers too, even fully enclosed trailers (not to mention larger trailers than your econobox can handle, but you probably have an objection to that too).
>>
>>1344469
>someone is making money off me
>better, instead of paying $20 to a jew every 3 years, pay $12,000 to a jew every single year
yeah nah
>>1344488
>>1344489
>n-n-no, it doesn't look cool enough!
cagers are mentally infants in giant beergut manboob bodies
>>
>>1344489
>vans are lame
Why?
And, why would you get a truck instead of a car+trailer? You need to haul something? You attach the trailer. You don't need to haul something? You detach it and thus have a smaller car (= fuel economy, easier to park, easier to manoeuver).
>>
>>1344490
>it doesn't look cool enough
Unlike bugmen, most normal people factor in looks of the vehicle they buy. Minivans are effeminate and utility vans aren't practical for family use.

>>1344492
>Why?
They just are anon.

>why would you get a truck instead of a car+trailer
Payload bay and towing capacity AND more room inside for passengers AND it rides better with less noise from the outside. Having an econobox is not anything people aspire to have--it's what they settle for.
>>
>>1344496
Imagine being so insecure that using a work van for one day every 3 years would be enough to shatter your self confidence. Imagine paying tens of thousands of dollars in the off chance someone looks at you during the one hour you'd be using the vehicle every 3 years.

Pathetic.
>>
>>1344496
So it's not actually because they're practical, it's just that, as you admit, trucks are the transportation equivalent of Apple devices, their primary function is that of shiny fashion accessories to exhibit social status?
>>
Trucks came into vogue because they weren't taxed the same as regular autos in the 70s because they were 'utility working vehicles'.

This is literally the origin of burgerclap truck 'culture'; a tax dodge. which is pretty appropriate.
>>
>>1344505
This makes much more sense than the usual American a posteriori justification that's used for everything, thank you.
>suburbia exists because it's much better in the USA since the country is so large
...but actually it's the product of a certain set of policies of the 1950's
>the USA don't use the metric system because it's less practical for day-to-day uses
...but actually it's the result of historical accidents and certain Reagan-era policies
>the electoral college is good because it protects rural states
...but actually it's a vestige from a time when all 13 states were pretty much equal in terms of demographics

...and so on and so on
>>
>>1344208
Honestly man doesn’t look any uglier than a Tacoma or something.
>>
>>1344500
Trucks are DAILY DRIVERS for nearly everyone who owns them. They are insanely better for that than any van is.

>>1344502
Trucks have a payload bay that can get dirty, more passenger room than cars, and they ride higher and better, and can be equipped very well. All of that is literal practicality.

>>1344510
You're crying about the metric system. Jfc get a life
>>
>>1344505
>Trucks came into vogue because they weren't taxed the same as regular autos in the 70s

Source?
>>
>>1344560
Why are you such a poorfag that you need to drive?
>>
>>1344560
>Trucks have a payload bay that can get dirty
...so do trailers
>more passenger room than cars
Objectively false
>and they ride higher and better
>and can be equipped very well
Then why do Europeans not prefer them? Are Europeans retarded? Nah senpai, it's what >>1344505 said, you're just justifying a shitty preference a posteriori because you can't admit there's nothing superior about trucks
>>
>>1344602
have you ever driven a truck?
you do get a bit of a big dick feeling
it is kinda comfy sitting up there and being in a fuck off, dickheadmobile

personally i love driving tiny old quick hatchbacks the most but i do see the appeal

it's obnoxious for sure but it's not without its charm
>>
>>1344602
>...so do trailers
Some people don't want to fool with them, but regardless, a truck can tow a bigger trailer than your shitbox can. Inb4 "wHy WoUlD yOu NeEd A bIgGeR oNe?"

>Objectively false
Yeah I guess an F-150 quad cab probably has less interior room than an S class. You got me dude! But it does have more room than most cars. You wouldn't know because you've never been in one.

>Then why do Europeans not prefer them?
I don't care. What they buy isn't any of my concern.

>Trucks aren't taxed
That anon is retarded, you're going to pay tax on any new car before they'll let you drive it off the lot.
>>
I drive a body-on-frame SUV with a 4-liter engine and I’m one of the biggest urbanists here.
I love cars and trucks, I just ordered new Bilsteins. I just don’t think we should force everyone to use a car for every trip, and our car-dependency is costing the public tons of wasted money.
>>
>>1344610
You literally don't need a bigger one except once in a decade. You're paying an ominous amount of money for a big toy that's objectively inferior in 99 % of situations.
>>
>>1344619
>You literally don't need
See if you can form an argument without telling someone else what they need
>>
>>1344626
I know you're a special snowflake, but 99 % of people who have a truck are using it to move themselves around. They don't need it.
>>
>>1344650
Ah, you just seke to control everyone else. Tough shit autismo.
>>
>>1344111
You don’t think we are like this in Australia too? Kek
>>
>>1344655
The polluting emissions of trucks infringe on my right to not breathe contaminants, so yeah, I seek to control your ability to trump my rights.
>>
>>1344666
>my right to not breathe contaminants

Where is that right outlined?
>>
>>1344681
It's the right to physical integrity, the same right by which you can't gas me.
>>
>>1344686
Okay, where is that right outlined?
>>
>>1344690
I suggest you gas your neighbour, your local law enforcement agency will quickly point you to your particular law concerning that (usually the penal code)
>>
For being an /o/ centred topic, this has been one of the more lively threads on this board as of late.
>>
>>1344701
No I meant where is the right to not breath contaminants (through the right to physical integrity) outlined?
>>
>>1344717
It's a logical extension of the right not to be gassed. This is why air quality laws have been a thing since the medieval era.
>>
>>1344723
Okay, just show me where a legal document outlines your right to not breathe contaminants
>>
>>1344725
Literally every environmental norm that limits the amount of contaminants in the air. Pick any country, they will have one.
>>
>>1344728
So you can't link to a legal document that outlines your "right to not breathe contaminants." Gotcha
>>
>>1344731
I literally just mentioned you at least a thousand. If you want links: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/air/quality/standards.htm
>>
>>1344738
If you had a true right to not breath contaminants, all of those values would be zero. You do not and never had a right to not breathe contaminants.
>>
>>1344744
If I didn't have a right, the environmental legislation wouldn't even exist.
>>
>>1344750
You haven't linked a single legal document that enumerated your "right to not breathe contaminants." Your government allows you to breathe contaminants up to certain levels.
>>
>>1344756
Yes, up to levels that are supposed to be below what affects negatively my health. This means my right to not be harmed by contaminants is effectively protected by legal documents.
>>
>>1344757
In other words, you do not have a right to not breathe contaminants
>>
>>1344756
>natural rights only exist when they are written down on a piece of paper
Fucking liberals I swear
>>
>>1344763
>assuming that natural rights are anything but a figment of the human imagination
>>
>>1344111
Same reason why baggy clothes instead of form fitting clothes that show off your muscular physique are considered manly. American men just aren't very manly.
>>
>>1344765
*hits bong*
>woah man, like... all social organization is built atop imaginary concepts with no relation to the laws of nature
Imagine thinking this is insightful.
>>
Americans were used to muscle cars and increasingly powerful cars, but new emissions standards made most American cars unable to compete with foreign brands. Truck however, were not bound by new emissions laws, so Americans went out and bought trucks like crazy because they didnt give a shit about emissions or gas prices.
>>
>>1344484
Laying a fridge down will void its warranty. Even a high van won't fit one standing up. It doesn't rain every single day in North America so there's is no "exposure to the elements". Why have a car and a trailer when you can just have a truck?

>>1344490
It's not just $20 to rent a truck or van. It's more like $50+. And people don't need a truck just every 3 years... Most people use their truck for truck things several times a month.

>>1344666
A half ton truck gets better mileage than a Subaru.
>>
>>1344561
https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR636.html

page 33. I recalled it a bit wrong - it was because 'light trucks' were exempted from fuel economy regulations.
>>
>>1344838
Who the fuck owns a Subaru for you to justify trucks and why have a truck when you can just have a car and a trailer, a much cheaper alternative?
>Laying a fridge down will void its warranty. Even a high van won't fit one standing up
How come I've always got my fridges delivered in vans, then?
>>
>>1344626
Not him, but assuming you're a normal human being, it can be deducted that you certainly do not need an even lager trailer.

It's really the lengths you have to go to justify such a vehicle compared to any other vehicle other than thinking people perceive you as some badass - while of course no one does.

Unless you're maintaining some grounds, like a farm - there's no need for the functions of a truck.
>>
>>1344868
Also making the ridiculous rationalization that because you MAY have to transport this one specific tall object that has to be standing perhaps three times in your lifetime, you've got to spend several times more money for the initial purchase as well as fuel & maintenance for a TRUCK.
>>
>>1344868
You still don't get it. A truck is the same price as a car in North America and the fuel costs are negligible.

>How come I've always got my fridges delivered in vans, then?

Because you people are retarded. When people do get shit delivered here it comes in a proper 5 ton truck.

>>1344870
Spoken like somebody with no house or hobbies.

>>1344872
Three times in your lifetime? Again you don't know what owning a house entails. You also don't have fun with dirt bikes and shit. A car won't get you to the trailhead and I'm not driving around with dirt bike fumes in a van.
>>
>>1344874
>A truck is the same price as a car in North America and the fuel costs are negligible.
>50k
>same price as a car
sure
>>
>>1344111
I have a 4x4 truck and a bicycle. The bicycle is my commuter. OP is a fag.
>>
>>1344887
You can get a nice truck for $30k which gets you a mid spec Accord.
>>
>>1345173
And a decent car goes for 10k, so yeah so it's absolutely not cheaper
>>
>>1344870
See if you can form an argument without telling someone else what they need
>>
>>1345212
Yeah a used piece of shit or a Kia Rio. Some people value their families safety. You can buy cheap used trucks too...
>>
>>1345212
Why would I want a car when I could have a truck?
>>
>>1345217
Because your IQ is not two standard deviations below average and you know you'll save a lot of money if you get a car.

>>1345215
Small cars are very safe already. Given that the vast majority of accidents are caused by DUI, the best way to value your family's safety is to not drive drunk. Or actually, to not drive at all, and bring your family with you into public transit, which is objectively safer than getting into a car.
>>
>>1345222
Small cars are not safe when the average vehicles on the road are 5000lb crossovers and trucks. Add all the crumple zones you want but you can't cheat the laws of physics. I'm not letting my family ride on public transit, Sorry.
>>
>>1345222
Nah, I've had both. Trucks are clearly superior to any car available in my price range.

>bring your family with you into public transit
Hahahahahaha
Nope
>>
>>1344161
>retard shitting on FIAT doesn't know about the Chrysler merger
Oh am I laffin.
>>
>>1345226
>>1345227
Not only you suck at personal finances (which is much more likely to hurt your imaginary family), but you're also an utter cuck who's afraid of public transit and think it's dangerous or something. How many people die every year in public transit? How many in car accidents?
>>
>>1345229
Shhh it's okay. Keep paying that rent to lord worcestershire or Mohammed.
>>
>>1345234
t. will be paying a mortgage to Goldstein Sachs for the next 40 years
>>
>>1345229
My truck's paid off and I'm keeping it for a while. It's literally cheaper and faster to drive in town than ride transit for a family of four or more here. Not to mention not having to deal with the scum and dregs that inhabit it.
>>
>>1345236
Have fun paying for the cuckingham palace to be converted into a Mosque.
>>
>>1345239
...how is that related to me not living in a suburb?

>>1345238
>It's literally cheaper and faster to drive in town than ride transit for a family of four or more here
Not my fault you live in the third world
>Not to mention not having to deal with the scum and dregs that inhabit it.
You should have sex AND leave the third world
>>
>>1345241
>No argument

Okay then
>>
>>1344761
Air quality standards are set to bind governments and companies to legal limits of pollution, in essence yes giving you the right not to breath toxic or contaminated air. Here is such an example: https://www.epa.gov/clean-air-act-overview
It's broad and big so no I will not link line by line. If you're wondering why it's not zero? Common sense, some amount of contaminants will always get out, legislating zero on a lot of things would be impossible. Yeah it sounds bad "a safe limit of such a contaminant" but it is what it is. If science says > X amount of Y will kill you, then legislating "you cannot release > X" is as prev anon said, giving us rights not to be killed by toxins. The same is true for cars and trucks, emission standards are set to keep air quality at acceptable and healthy levels.

I think you're hung up on the prev anon's statement "right to XYZ". If you were to sue a company for pollution, you wouldn't be suing them for breaching rights (unless you made the case it was in breach of your right to life [https://www.echr.coe.int/Documents/Convention_ENG.pdf]). No, you'd be suing them for breaching toxin limits or such else. Of interest to you may be communities fighting for clean water in the US - again there is no "right to clean water" in the constitution, but the clean water act stipulates you shouldn't be killed by the water you drink. You'll need to check local laws too as they may have extra regulations - remember that the federal laws are the legal minimum, states can then set even more stringent laws (see: California). For literally specific law and legislation numbers? Again you'll want to check city and state law books and related resources.
>>
>>1344114
>being lazy and emasculated
>having such a fragile ego that you need to demonstrate your wealth to others
>>
>>1344111
absolutely based and absolutely redpilled, OP is truly not a faggot
>>
>>1344167
>Drive econobox
>Tfw can't take 4x8 boards or 10 ft pipe home for projects
>Have to buy the ridiculously priced cut down pieces or have them cut it

I don't want to daily drive a truck, but it'd be nice to have. Even a minivan that could fit said materials would be nice.
>>
>>1344111
Everybody gets out of the way of a fucking truck
>>
>>1344111
Please do not come to /k/
Thank you.
>>
>>1345215
O I can get an Outback and still haul a decent amount, even without a small trailer, and absolutely leave a truck behind offroad.
>>
>>1345438
have you thought about getting a roofrack anon
>>
>>1345499
PLEASE start a thread about this in /o/
>>
>>1345498
ok >>>/k/41740143

>>1345504
you do it faggot
>>
>>1345913
chickenshit
>>
>>1345913
Well done, anon.

>>41740168
>>
>>1344111
why are /n/ faggots so fixated on pedestrian shit like buses and subway trains? soiboys much?
>>
>>1345932
>why are anons on a transportation board interested in forms of transportation
>>
>>1345932
You have to pay Jews to have a big machine to prove your masculinity?
>>
>>1345504
>Implying a stock Outback won't dust a stock 1.5 ton pickup off and on pavement in any category but tow/bed capacity.
>>
>>1345984
ok now you're just trolling
>>
Cagers are known for their self-delusion.
>>
>>1345932
I hate buses. They are seatbelt-less death traps. I am neutral towards subway trains.
>>
>>1345984
I have a stock 2018 outback and there are several issues
- ground clearance is middling
- tires are NOT truly off-road capable
- torque not very much
- CVT not good, even with paddle "shifters" to lock ratios
- people will know your gay

It's a great road trip machine and carries camping gear, people, and light toys like snowboards, bikes, surfboards, kayaks comfortably and efficiently. Handles fine in snow and mild fire roads.
>>
>>1345932
I'm masculine without toys
>>
>>1344175
show me where the truck touched you
>>
>>1344484
>here in europe
opinion disregarded
>>
>>1344650
>99 % of people who have a truck are using it to move themselves around. They don't need it.
source, your ass
>>
>>1344666
>implying trucks are any dirty than the ever present diesels in his shithole euro country
>>
>>1345229
>how many people die in car accidents?
i dont know mohammed, how many people get attacked on public transit?
>>
>>1345932
they all live in europe and cant afford anything other than souless 1.8l diesel hatchback
>>
>>1346250
There are far less than 40,000 deaths on public transit per year in the US. Feel free to prove me wrong. Also feel free to inform me how many people *actually* die on US roadways per year.
>>
>>1346250
If over a dozen 9/11s worth of terrorism were happening on public transit yearly, it would be considered one of the most dire crises ever faced by society.

Yet that's how many people in America die as a result of cages on a yearly basis.
>>
>>1346252
>>1346253
>using us statistics
no body uses public transport in america also americans drive much further than europeans on a daily and yearly basis, try harder abdul
>>
>>1346257
Every single violent death in America is equal to 1/3 of the car related deaths. If literally every human in the country only used public transit, you would still be 3x more likely to die in your precious cage.
>>
>>1346257
Cars are 6x as dangerous as public transit
>>
>>1346257
>abdul
My name is nashir you fat redneck.
>>
>>1346257
Bro, statistically you are safer walking through the most dangerous neighborhood in fucking Baltimore then you are driving. Also the most dangerous time to drive is between 12-4AM because of all the drunk driving retards.
>>
>>1346265
are you countng diseases you catch riding the dame bus that hobos do?
>>
>>1346265
You might not die, but you’ll probably get robbed at some point and you’ll catch Ebola or whatever the hot new disease sweeping the homeless population is
>>
Most Americans are not like that.

Most of the SUVs sold in America are crossovers, which are just a lifted station wagon.
>>
I love trucks
>>
>>1346322
>PUBLIC, MASS transit
>robbed
Even if that were the case anyway, I'd take it over a lifetime of being in a wheelchair unable to kill myself while feeling the guilt of my family's death because a retard decided to DUI near me
>>
when the place you live in is consistently over 100 degrees for 3 months during the day every day you want a car, i love biking but also have a car because there are conditions where biking sucks.
>>
>>1346328
Me too
>>
>>1346334
>100 degrees
Nice for boiling pasta
>>
>>1346322
learn hand to hand combat if you don't to get robbed on public transport
>>
>>1347311
No thanks, I'll drive
>>
>>1346265
Why is being a pedestrian so high?
It's all so tiresome. If cages didn't exist walking would be the safest possible transit method. The only deaths from walking come from cage impacts by filthy cage scum that are probably texting while eating a hamburger while wanking to instathots while driving. We need to genocide cagers, this is a war.

>>1346252
but this. i know multiple people who have been injured severely, if not killed, in cage crashes. meanwhile, i've never heard of a light rail incident unless some retard on their smartphone was standing on the clearly delineated tracks while the horn blared and they couldn't hear it because they had earbuds in and were retarded. caging is the number one cause of needless, easily preventable death in any first world country, especially burgerstan. not a single person murdered by a cage had to die. we could make that number 0. Just getting to and from your daily business should not carry a significant risk of death. You cannot build a civilization on that kind of foundation.
>>1346314
When I go on the bus/rail it's 90% working white people, usually with office jobs. Sorry you live in a shithole and have the immune system of a geriatric.
>>1346334
you could try not building a city in a desert.
>waaah mommy mommy it's hot waaaahhhhhhh
I ride bikes in sub zero and don't whine and bitch about a little bit of snow and ice. stop being a pansy. i go hiking in 100+, too. take a bottle of water and grow a set of testicles.

cycling in heat is great because you get enough of a breeze to keep cool, making a medium exertion level primo. just don't go full out sprinting, fred.
>>
>>1347456
You whine that everyone else is a pussy for not cycling, then you act like a complete pussy about cages in the same post.

Grow the fuck up anon.
>>
File: you.png (7 KB, 207x243)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>1347464
>being murdered by a cage and being uncomfortable while exercising are the exact same thing
>>
The true master race buys trucks to use them when needed but doesn't give a shit about fuel economy and size because they mostly commute by bike.
>>
>>1347464
>>1347471
this. i have a right not to be murdered just trying to get to work. if your transportation system cannot get people around without significant risk of death, it is not a good system, period. cage dependence is absolutely absurd. if people were to look at the risks involved objectively there would be riots in the streets to have them removed from prominence. cages are a sometimes vehicle, not an everyday commute solution. it's the exact same as eating candy for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, except instead of obesity and cavities you get mutilations, crippling, and widespread randomized death. along with absurd chinese-factory levels of pollution and smog, waterway defilement, light/sound pollution, community destruction, uglification, the slaughter of wildlife including endangered species, extreme increase in tax burden, a constant resource drain, marginalization of elderly children/teens women and the disabled, etc.

cage dependence is an atrocity. everyone talks about banning guns to save children, meanwhile cages kill 10,000x more kids than guns do and no one says a word. if we had walkable communities interconnected by rail systems, these children would not be orphans and would not have life threatening injuries. explain to them why you think their suffering is a small price to pay for you to not need to take a train.
>>
>>1344560
>they ride better

This is how I know you're either trolling or having never driven a sedan nicer than an '86 Hyundai.
>>
>>1347471
Cry more

>>1347486
>i have a right not to be murdered just trying to get to work.
The moment you get on a public street you assume some degree of risk. If you can't handle that then stay off them.

>if we had walkable communities
We do. Use a sidewalk

>>1347488
I've had both. I'll take a truck or SUV's ride over a car's.
>>
>>1347491
what bicycle do you ride boomeranon
>>
File: mpg.png (128 KB, 769x310)
128 KB
128 KB PNG
>>1344838
>A half ton truck gets better mileage than a Subaru.

The absolute largest Subaru, compared to the super base full size trucks that pretty much no one buys
>>
>>1344874
>the fuel costs are negligible.
Until prices shoot up again the used market gets flooded with abandoned trucks and SUVs just like 2009 all over again.
>>
>>1345504
They won't give a shit, /o/ only cares about 3k Civics and Miatas
>>
>>1347491
>some degree of risk
>0.00000000005% is the same as 5%
okay retard
>>
>>1347494
He broke his honestly geared antique all he has now is his TT bike
>>
>>1347513
I know this is anecdotal, but as long as I've been driving I've never died
>>
>>1347518
Well golly gee. It must be perfectly safe then.
>this is the power of boomer mathematics education
did you even graduate the third grade?
>>
>>1347486
People like you should just stay in your houses, with all sharp corners rounded off and padded, surrounded by nothing but soft spongy things, and sit still or move very, very slowly, never leave your house, have all your food and everything else delivered ("just leave it at the door and go away!") because YOU CLEARLY AND OBJECTIVELY CAN'T HANDLE ANY RISK WHATSOEVER AND SHIT YOURSELF AT THE MERE THOUGHT OF ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY DANGEROUS HAPPENING TO YOU.
Better sterilize your environment, Anon, or all those millions of DUST MITES that eat your dead skin cells might turn on you and start eating (You) instead!

Or better yet you should live in a bunker 1 mile underground *just in case* a meteor happens to hit the Earth near you, you might bump and elbow or something!

How the actual fuck do people like you even live day-to-day without constantly shitting yourselves in abject fear?
FACT: Every moment you live, there is RISK of something bad happening to you. YOU CANNOT AVOID IT.
Meanwhile: YOU REFUSE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN GODS-BE-DAMNED SAFETY. What makes you think that it's everyone ELSE'S responsibillity to make you safe and secure? IT IS NOT, unless you are a small underage child, in which case it's your PARENTS' repsonsibility to ensure your safety -- but past the age of, say, 15 years? (YOU) are more and more responsible for keeping yourself out of trouble.
>B-b-b-but the EVIL CAGERS!!!!11!!
GROW UP. You're EXAGGERATING things by about a factor of a million.
>SOME drivers are bad, therefore ALL drivers are bad!
>We NEED to BAN ALL CARS immediately!
Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds?
>SOME animals are bad, therefore ALL animals are bad!
>We NEED to BAN ALL ANIMALS immediately!
Do you begin to see how dumb that kind of thinking is?
>SOME humans are BAD therefore ALL humans are bad!
>We need to LOCK UP ALL HUMANS immediately!
Still not getting it?
>"""ALL OR NOTHING""" thinking
THAT is what you're engaging in.
>>
>>1347522
bruh u mad
>>
>>1347486
Seriously: When you walk down the street, do you literally WALK DOWN THE STREET, as in the MIDDLE of the pavement, and expect all the cars to come to a complete stop, JUST FOR YOU?
Meanwhile, normal, intelligent people look out for traffic, stay as far to the right as they possibly can, and also DON'T walk on streets or roads that are too narrow for pedestrian traffic. Is that what you're doing, Anon? Walking down some narrow country road with no shoulder, and screaming at cars that whizz past you, as if it's THEIR fault?
For fuck's sake take some responsibility for your own gods-be-damned safety, be more intelligent about where you are and what you're doing, and STOP MAKING IT EVERYONE ELSE'S RESPONSIBILITY. In other words: FUCKING GROW UP AND ACT LIKE AN ADULT. You're not a 5 year old (even you act like it) and the world is not your parents.
>>
Gee I'm sure glad the fringies of /n/ are totally irrelevant and nobody in the real world listens to anything they have to say, otherwise our civilization would be in dire danger of being utterly destroyed by their extremist and anti-human opinions! They'd destroy all meaningful transportation in their authoritarian dictatorial regime, forcing the infirm elderly and physically disabled people to pedal bicycles everywhere, even if it killed them, or subject themselves to filthy disease-ridden criminals on public transit, and cripple interstate commerce and the national economy in general! Good thing they're completely irrelevant and won't pass on their strange outlier opinions or genes to another generation, as if any woman would breed with them!
The rest of us can sleep soundly at night knowing these people are *contained* here and have no effect on the Real World. :-)
>>
>>1347526
Based schizoposter. May your room padding hold firm
>>
>>1347526
The real world I live in has light rail expansions, more bike lanes every year, and parking lots getting destroyed for middle housing developments. These fringies you speak of are changing things, and I think for the better.
>>
>>1347528
>light rail expansions
>bike lanes
>middle housing
none of these things are removing STREETS for CARS. Neither will they, EVER. Your argument is INVALID.
>>
>>1347527
>crazy people think sane people are crazy
Take your meds and stay off the internets.
WE are the majority, not (You). STFU and do as you're told.
>>
>>1347535
>crazy people think sane people are crazy
I know! And you gotta stop that! What would your mother think?
>>
>>1347498
No. WRX's and STI's are known for getting sub 20mpg.
>>
>>1344443
>You sound like the sorta dude who would start a militia because you think paying taxes makes you a slave.
I mean... he wouldn't be wrong.
>>
>>1347534
They’re removing downtown parking, making it increasingly difficult and expensive to commute from the suburbs to sit in a cubicle in the city.
>>
fast cage >> big cage
>>
>>1346265
>nearly twice as likely to die from an hour of walking as driving
What would this statistic look like without niggers in dark clothes walking on the shoulder of the road at night?
>>
>>1347544
From my understanding the newest ones can do a lot better. Either way, the WRX and STI are niche performance cars and full size trucks are like the standard family vehicle now so I can't say I care as much about them.
>>
>>1347544
STI uses the EJ engine which has been released since 1989
>>
>>1347522
lmao not reading that shit
>what the fuck do you mean you don't enjoy having a near death experience every time you go to the grocery store?
>m-mumummuhmuhMUH FREEDOM
get rekt faggot u mad as fuck
>>
>>1347551
take the light rail or stop being a fuckign poorfaggot who has to live in a fucking suburb 50 miles outside of town
>>
>>1347551
>>1347572
>>1347571
Get rekt. No one who matters listens to a single word you say, you are IRRELEVANT.
>>
>>1347572
Boomerman is terrified of public transportation, the light rail isn’t an option. Nor is not living in the suburbs, he’s terrified of all the brown people he thinks live in or around the city.
>>
>>1347659
Nigger
>>
>>1347522
>1 in 100000000 risk of dying of an aneurysm or heart attack or whatever at any given moment
vs
>the actually decent probability I will get into a high speed accident if I drive every day, no matter how safe I drive
Cars are the number one cause of premature death for people under 45, it is 100% disingenuous to equate that to the chance I might die tripping headfirst into my kitchen counter. Saying we shouldn't try to remove a major cause of premature death which is entirely preventable because other things are dangerous is like smoking two packs of cigarettes a day because there's a chance a satellite might fall on you so risk management doesn't matter.
>>
>>1347666
Buy a Volvo, Safety Sally
>>
>>1347669
The safest car on the road is more dangerous than the most ramshackle, poorly maintained train my country has to offer.
>>
>>1347679
Get on my level. Get a car which blows its brake line every week.
>>
>>1347679
Good. Stay off the road you little wimp
>>
Cagers inadvertently admitting they have no argument again
I love when that happens.
>>
>>1347695
Obsessed
>>
>>1347666
Oh for fuck's sake.. I've driven cars and ridden motorcycles literally MILLIONS OF MILES over the course of my life and guess what? I have all my original limbs and other bodyparts, AND I AM NOT DEAD. Hell, I've even been in a few accidents, and guess what? I AM NOT DEAD OR CRIPPLED OR EVEN INJURED ANYMORE. You're just a Nervous Nelly, a scared little rabbit who pisses himself when someone says "BOO!".
Man the fuck up, and stop posting nonsense.
>>
File: 6756.jpg (59 KB, 367x380)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>1347753
>exposing myself to greater risk for no reason is ok because I haven't died yet
>actually, exposing myself to needless risk is great because it makes me manly
When your primary argument for something is "I have a penis therefore I have to endanger my life", you know you are operating at an IQ of like 90 or below. It's the mentality of an easily peer pressured teenage boy.
>>1347683
>>1347669
>don't want to die for no reason at all? You must be a wimp, or worse yet a GIRL
Confirmed for middle school aged boys. Men don't really grow up past 14, do they?
>>
File: ok.jpg (247 KB, 1600x1200)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>tfw i want to die and i like driving my car
>>
they're generally large, functional and strong.
they can also be fast and comfortable.
no homo.
>>
>>1347486
carcucks cant into externalities to save their life
>>
>>1347812
t. pussy
mtfu or stay off bikes
>>
>>1348423
>only people with penises have places to be
This isn't Saudi Arabia, Abdul.
>>
>>1347812
>Men don't really grow up past 14, do they?

Not my problem, fag
>>
>>1348436
t. seething pussy
better stay indoors or you might break a nail Nancy
>>
>>1347486
This man is absolutely spot on.

I dont know what the first three replies are on about. I thought it was illegal to troll outside of /b/
>>
>>1348998
>literally BILLIONS of people drive cars or walk/ride around cars every single day of their lives and don't get killed
>meanwhile some pussy little Nancies on /n/ get their panties in a wad because cars *frighten* them
>they insist all cars be destroyed!
Wow, both complete and utter yellow-bellied cowardly numale soiboi pussies, *and* authoritarian dictatorial assholes in the *same breath*. Quite a feat!

Meanwhile, back on Planet Reality, *none of you little cunts say or do anything that matters in the Real World*. You're *irrelevant*. You'll live and die without anything you say or do making even the slightest difference. Be glad you're allowed to exist and roam the world freely, because if we lived in the sort of world (You) little faggots would have us live in, people like (You) would be sent to 're-education' facilities, pumped full of drugs, and kept there until you CONFORMED to what the rest of society thinks and does.

Scream and cry all you want, cars and trucks rule the transportation world, that'll never change, and there's nothing you can do about it -- and you shouldn't, your own lives would be dramatically degraded otherwise and you goddamned well know it. Give up.

So, class, shall we review?
o The automobile is a transportation panacea
o So-called 'public transit' is merely a favor to The Poor
o Entitled, myopic fringe-elements of society should STFU and learn to be grateful for their existence

/subject
>>
>seething this badly
No (You) for you
>>
File: lol_fag.jpg (8 KB, 184x184)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>seething with the force of a million supernovas while erroneously claiming a truth-sayer is seething
>>
>>1344605
Ahh yes so it's the classic burger fantasy of being a nigger and shitting up everyone's day
>>
File: IMG_1514.jpg (108 KB, 1024x768)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>1349144
lighten up anon
>>
>>1349144
>[no]
>>
90s steel mtb on slicks for most trips
2000's 27mpg mt truck for long trips, hauling stuff, or carpooling a trip with a friend or two

and a bunch of bmx bikes
i haul a lot of crap into the skatepark
i haul a bunch of other random shit too, its fun to collect garbage
>>
>>1344113
Bought a used truck hard cash for less than a down payment on a new one. It's a v6 so it gets better mileage than alot of big v8 rigs. On top of that I still have a truck and you're still upset. If this is what it is to be American then round up another shot of that red white and blue becaues I'll be takign the next shot mainline.
>>
>>1344111
have you ever driven one? Europoor here who rented a RAM 1500 for a few weeks in the South: the comfiness is fucking unbelievable.
So.
Fucking.
Comfy.
I actually looked forward to chillin in it cruising down a highway.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.