[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 34 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

>This reflects the all-pervasive car supremacy in the design of the American built environment. From our massively-skewed funding priorities, to the dysfunctional politics of rail construction, to the simple engineering of American city centers, we send signals that automobiles are the only truly legitimate way for people to get around, and that drivers are entitled to priority over any other transport method. It's long since time for a revolution in American transport — not to abolish the use of cars altogether, but to place them as just one among many transportation options.

>The overwhelming car bias in American cities can be seen by visiting virtually any European, Japanese, Chinese, or Korean city. There decent or better public transportation systems are the norm — across European major cities a public transit share of commuting less than 30 percent is rare, and cities like Paris, Madrid, Zurich, and Stockholm top 60 percent. The only American city with a share over 50 percent is New York (where the car obsessive Governor Andrew Cuomo has let the subway rot); the share of all U.S. commuters is just 5 percent.

https://theweek.com/articles/845442/against-car-supremacy
>>
>>1343845
Shouldn't this be on /pol? Seems to political for modern /n
>>
>>1343893
How much do you want to bet the only time he's been on public transit is once or twice a year when he goes to a special event in town, if that?

It's so easy to think public transit is awesome when you don't have to use it to get around.
>>
File: 1556052600199.jpg (287 KB, 800x441)
287 KB
287 KB JPG
>>1343893
>repeating something over and over makes it true.
>going to a board that hates you every single day to talk shit from behind a keyboard
Based schizo poster. However, i think you are pretty cucked if the auto industry isn't paying you handsomely for this
>>
>>1343893
>>1343916
It's really funny when cagers have to resort to this kind of shitposting.

You exhibit this kind of behavior when you don't have any facts.
>>
>>1343925
Okay Aiden if you calm down I'm sure your mom will drive you to see a comic book movie since your """"anxiety"""" prevents you from operating a motor vehicle
>>
File: QuestionKitten.png (144 KB, 300x428)
144 KB
144 KB PNG
I wonder if this is the same cager retard who spams "ad hom non-argument" while making ad-hominem non-arguments.
>>
>>1343845
America is lost. Their public transport sucks too hard to convince people not to hate it and people hate it too much to get funds approved to make it suck less hard.

>>1343928
"cagers" and /o/ don't spam other boards. It's all just one dude who thinks it's extremely funny to get a few autistic boys upset over and over again. A sad excuse for a person really.
>>
>>1343968
That's weird; lots of light rail systems all over the country are being expanded as we speak.
>>
>>1343845
Car supremacy in the US is because it helps people avoid niggers and spics. American cities are pedestrian hostile because those pedestrians are murderous gorillas and Aztec blood goblins.
>Europe
>northeast Asia
Notice that he's not talking about Africa or El Salvador.
>>
>>1343975
So then how do you account for the fact that total reliance on cars also persists in areas that are racially homogenious? Are Americans simply more afraid of social interaction than people in the rest of the world?
>>
If you want to get angry, look up “the myth of free parking”
>>
>>1343968
>A sad excuse for a person really.

I think seeing transit autists wound up so tight they sperg is p funny
>>
There are lots of new urbanist places that are overwhelmingly white and pedestrian-friendly. However they’re in high demand so they fetch a high price.
>>
>>1343975
>Notice that he's not talking about Africa or El Salvador.
No because he's talking about first world countries duh
>>
>>1343982
>So then how do you account for the fact that total reliance on cars also persists in areas that are racially homogenious?
Even better: the most racially heterogeneous cities in the (first) world, such as Paris, London or NYC, all have very well developed public transit systems.
>>
>>1343975
Justifying the car society with racism is peak boomer.
>>
>>1343893
looky here, a slave to his own devices!
a slave to his personal daily auto
a slave his shitpost machine
a slave to his boss

thank you for paying for my bike lanes!
>>
>>1344217
tbf Paris or London levels of diversity do tend to make public transport noticeably less comfortable to use, and those systems stem from a time before the diversification. However lower levels of no more than say 20% of "diverse" passengers are bearable. Subhumans tend to behave so long as they're a clear minority.
>>
>>1344270
It's painfully obvious you've never taken public transportation in Paris.
>>
>>1344272
lmao I have you faggot
>>
>>1344279
If you really had you'd know it's comfy as fuck as long as it's not too crowded
>>
>>1343970
Zoomers and gen Y are anti-car. Personally I don't drive because I'm not a peasant, walking or hopping on a light rail is far more convenient and simple for me. owning a car is a huge burden. most cities are de-boomerfying thanks to the younger generations who ARE willing to pay more to live somewhere walkable and transit connected. Gen x and boomers destroyed the nation, but now that inner city has been devalued, developers are buying it up and putting in apartment blocks. it's a new boom. suburbs will dry up and be bulldozed.
>>1343975
retarded. niggers don't have jobs so they aren't on the morning and evening rail. spics live in shitshacks out in the burbs and have to drive everywhere. go on any public transit during commute hours and it's 90% white or asian.
>>1344036
the price is worth it. other than rent i essentially have no other bills. no cage, energy bills are nothing, tons of cheap markets if you know where to look, and lots of secondhand goods networks through selling/buying apps. why pay $200 for a shelf I can get 1 year used for $40? Other than my laptop and some clothes, I don't really need anything. suburb cvcks are constantly buying shit at walmart i would never have any need for. city living CAN be ridiculously inexpensive. my rent is offset by not owning a car, among every other convenience.

also, if you're single these microapartments are a great deal, zoning laws should relax to allow them in more cities. if you get a gf you're splitting rent and it should still be cheap.
>>
>>1344294
I have only used it a few times, but every single time there have been some absolute niggers yelling around or doing generally shady stuff making the experience uncomfortable. I never felt really safe and certainly not comfy. And this was during off-hours in the very center of Paris, not in some shitty banlieu.
Not even burger btw.
>>
>>1344356
You sure are chipper after acknowledging developers are making money hand over fist off of you
>>
>>1343893
Not OP, but I've grown up and I use the thousands of dollars a year I save not having a car to actually enjoy my life. Not all of us become slaves to consumer culture.
>>
>>1344558
>Sent from Apple iPhone
>>
>>1344562
Nice guess, but no. My phone doesn't even have data.
And regardless, your argument boils down to
>you live in society therefore you are not allowed to criticize society or hope for it to be better
Which is low IQ as it gets. What do you want me to do, pick berries in a loincloth before I say "maybe society isn't perfect"?
>>
>>1344581
Lol I'm talking about cars and you go straight to muh society
>>
>>1344541
Never had that experience and I've taken it hundreds of times.
>>
>>1344596
Cars literally ruin society, and transportation is a massive component of the way society is structured.
>>
>>1344541
are you just larping?
paris has nice metro, and the only negative is the piss smell that any underground system of tubes gets (same in london underground)
paris is pretty nice
>>
>>1344615
> transportation is a massive component of the way society is structured
>Cars [which are transportation] literally ruin society

Which one is it?
>>
>>1344616
Of course he's LARPing. Anyone who has taken the Paris metro knows that the metro system has quite the amount of richfags, while the shittier transit systems are the RER (mostly the B line) and RATP buses. He's probably seen a couple webms on /pol/ about the inevitable anecdotal incidents that happen on a system that transports several billion passengers every year. Selected to be only the ones where the person at fault has a skin as dark as possible, of course.
>>
>>1344628
A component of society can ruin society, Cleetus.
>>
>>1344629
>>1344616
yeah ok sorry I guess that never happened and I'm just making it all up because something something /pol/ good thing you guys are here to tell me what really happened so I don't go around spreading fake news
doing gods work anons
It won't happen again from now on I'll only have correct opions
>>
>>1344645
The likelihood of you encountering these incidents “every single time” is too high for me to believe you, unless you've been literally once and thus have witnessed a scene literally once.
>>
>>1344631
Personal transportation has always benefited society more than it has hindered it. That's why it has existed for millennia and still does today.
>>
>>1344654
Personal transportation wasn't a thing before the automobile revolution, the fuck are you talking about? Before automobiles, people used trains and boats, and before trains, they walked to move over land. Horses were very expensive and reserved to the nobility.
>>
File: 1554341920670.jpg (139 KB, 1024x683)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>1344616
Of course. A lot of normie (especially boomer) whites are literally terrified of existing in the vicinity of brown people. They will interpret their every action as a form of aggression, because they cannot view other humans outside of the lens of their own prejudice. In the boomer mind, an arab dude talking to his friend on the train gets warped into "Jihadi shouts terrorismspeak to fellow Jihadi on the train, probably up to criminal activity on the train", and the boomer decides he is far above ever taking the train to work again. They literally rearranged society in a ludicrously inefficient manner, just because racial minorities are typically less able to bear the costs associated with this inefficiency. They literally destroyed their entire society because they are terrified of other races, but are also terrified of enacting a "final solution".

I don't even like black people, but I've taken every form of transit with them, and never once have they transgressed against me other than smelling kinda bad. I am incredibly bitter boomerautism robbed me of a society where public transit is efficient.
>>1344654
Yes, but a specific form of personal transportation has caused more harm than good. You won't see many people hating on bikes here.
>>
>>1344629
idk the RER isn’t that bad imo
but i mostly used the C line, so i don’t know about the B line
>>
>>1344668
The tunnels of the B line are too short, so the material is exclusively MI89 (?) instead of two-floored trains like you find on other lines. This means the trains get absolutely packed at rush hours. Oh, and the line runs right through the 93 in its northern part, which isn't really ideal.
>>
>>1344665
>Yes, but a specific form of personal transportation has caused more harm than good.
Nope

>You won't see many people hating on bikes here.
I don't care
>>
>>1344678
>Nope
Compelling argument. The inescapable truth is:
>personal automobiles are one of the largest contributors to CO2 pollution, contributing to one of humanity's greatest problems
>cars directly lead to anti-human urban planning
>cars are a deeply alienating form of transportation, isolating you and mentally harming you even if you don't realize it
>car-centric infrastructure costs exponentially more than public transit-centered development
>car-centric development has led to exponentially more habitat destruction than any other single factor, as cities spread out farther than ever before
So it harms the common good, harms the environment, and isn't economically sound... what merits does it have? All I can think of is:
>a superficial sense of freedom
>enables a deeply wasteful and destructive suburban lifestyle, which started mostly because boomers were afraid of minorities
Perhaps you could enlighten me.
>>
>>1344697
>personal automobiles are one of the largest contributors to CO2 pollution
Don't study up transocean shipping

>contributing to one of humanity's greatest problems
Debatable, I personally don't think it's as dire as alarmists who demand more taxation and government control

>cars directly lead to anti-human urban planning
Perhaps in the 50s. Not really anymore in cities.

>cars are a deeply alienating form of transportation
>isolating you and mentally harming you
Good. That's what I want to be. Isolated from the dregs on buses and trains, who mentally and sometimes physically harm me

>car-centric infrastructure costs exponentially more than public transit-centered development
It also benefits exponentially more people.

>car-centric development has led to exponentially more habitat destruction
>as cities spread out farther than ever before
Sounds like the problem is cities then. Cars are just a symptom.

>a superficial sense of freedom
It's a real sense of freedom. I can go where I want when I want. If you want to argue transit is fun that's your deal but running on someone else's schedule is necessarily less freeing than going on your own.

>enables a deeply wasteful and destructive suburban lifestyle
You can find wasteful lifestyles wherever you go. That's a personal attitude and cars are hardly the cause of that.

>which started mostly because boomers were afraid of minorities
As they should be. A certain minority is 13% of the US population but commits about half the violent crime.
>>
>>1344697
>which started mostly because boomers were afraid of minorities
You're making it sound like suburbia appeared because of a conscious decision from boomers, instead of the reality, which is that it appeared because of lobbying from certain industrial sectors.
>>
File: traffic_jam_1050x700.jpg (704 KB, 1050x700)
704 KB
704 KB JPG
>>1344706
>I can go where I want when I want.
>>
File: F6074.png (12 KB, 434x600)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>I can go where I want when I want
>>
>>1344710
Lol @ the buses stuck in it
>>
>>1344706
>Don't study up transocean shipping
Per ton of cargo carried, boats are by far the most effective means of transportation in terms of emissions. Unless you are suggesting an end to international trade and capitalism itself, what the fuck do you want?
>I can go where I want when I want
But you won't lol. I know plenty of carfags irl, it's not like they go anywhere except work and maybe to eat out or see a movie.
>That's a personal attitude and cars are hardly the cause of that
You have the causation backwards. An individualistic, self-centered, and wasteful personality leads to a preference for cars.

Idk dude, you sound way to committed to your degenerate lifestyle. Sorry you ended up that way.
>>
>>1344735
>[...] suggesting an end to international trade and capitalism itself
This but unironically
>>
>>1344735
>Per ton
The environment doesn't care about per capita. The environment deals in absolute values and cars aren't the top polluters in the global north, where we've had emissions regulations for decades now.

>I know plenty of carfags irl
Man that's great.

>An individualistic, self-centered, and wasteful personality leads to a preference for cars
Simply naive

>degenerate lifestyle
>>>/pol/
>>
>>1344743
>cars aren't the top polluters in the global north
Doesn't matter, they still are major polluters and must therefore cease to exist as much as possible.
>>
>>1344743
>>>/pol/
You're the one talking about black violent crime rates and engaging in climate denialism, and I'm the one calling whiteoids pussies for being afraid of minorities.
>>
>>1344745
Enjoy your decreased standard of living as your economy shrinks

>>1344747
>You're the one talking about black violent crime rates
You're right. I'm talking about statistics and you're using ad hom attacks.
>>
>>1344752
I don't work in the automobile sector nor is my job dependent on the automobile sector. I'll very much enjoy my safer and quieter streets, and my cleaner air
>>
>>1344755
Eliminating personal transportation to the greatest possible degree will result in your quality of life decreasing. Believe it or not the economic foundation of your city and country doesn't depend on you walking to a coffee shop
>>
>>1344752
If you cared about your precious statistics so much, you'd know that the vast majority of that "majority of violent crime" is black-on-black gang related violence, so if you aren't dealing crack on the bus in Tyrone's territory or picking fights with random niggers on the bus, your odds of being a victim are basically zero. Basically don't be a nigger, and you won't get nigged on.
>>
>>1343975
That's because a majority of whites left the cities due to...you guessed it...cars and the invention of the (((suburb))). They could move back in, displace and get pedestrian walking if they'd like
>>
>>1344556
Why do cagers hate capitalism so much?

The USSR designed their cities around cars. Wide roads and parking lots everywhere, it didn't pay off.
>>
>>1344758
>Believe it or not the economic foundation of your city and country doesn't depend on you walking to a coffee shop
Cars are quite objectively a drain on society, even if they make GDP numbers go up
>>
>>1344780
>the USSR designed their cities around cars
So did everyone else to varying degrees. Point?

>>1344869
I think they're good
>>
>>1343975
>Notice that he's not talking about Africa or El Salvador.
Are you comparing the US to Africa and El Salvador ? The fucking state of cagers right now, and they dare call me unpatriotic if I talk about the cage.
>>
>>1344755
This.
>>
I just don't think we should prioritize cars over everything else. Build cities for humans and all modes of transport.
I don't know why that's controversial.
>>
>>1345465
Because it isn't as simple as just building and letting shit naturally go how it needs to go. Fume breathing cager retards think you're literally violating their human rights if you try to make a railway anywhere near them, and they, through the copious use o state subsidy that they love to handwave away and lots of NIMBYism, will cling to suburbia 'til the last breath.
>>
>>1345467
>through the copious use o state subsidy that they love to handwave away and lots of NIMBYism

Irony is lost on this board
>>
>>1345467
Damn straight. I'll fight your contrarianist anti-suburb bullshittery for the rest of my life. I'd rather commute and pay for gas than have your nigger delivery service shit up my town more than it already is, and don't count on me dying anytime soon.
>>
File: 52423423412.jpg (165 KB, 913x671)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>1345732
>I would rather be poorer and harm the thing keeping me alive at the same time than perhaps interact with someone of another race
America is the most vile nation on Earth, Angloids were a fucking mistake
>>
>>1345746
He's right you know
>>
File: 1550105273395.png (852 KB, 1342x766)
852 KB
852 KB PNG
>>1345746
>Poorer
Nah. Am I using more money for gas? Yeah. Do I pay for cable? No. Balances out.
>harm the thing keeping me alive
Abloo abloo move back your doomsday date another ten years.
>perhaps interact with someone of another race
Despite.
>Angloids
I'm no eternal anglo, I'm the very external Italian.
>>
>>1344541
Really? Paris has the best lines I've been on. Off the month I've spent in a couple areas, I've been pretty happy. Shame you had a crap experience, not everyone can win.
>>
>>1345751
>I'm no eternal anglo, I'm the very external Italian.

Confirmed: Eyetalians aren't white. Up against the wall, you greasy wop.
>>
File: 1539779716077.png (735 KB, 619x713)
735 KB
735 KB PNG
>>1345761
Sure thing, friendo. Just keep your nigger delivery services out of my suburb and let me help clean out the (((main problem))) first.
>>
File: uyrt.jpg (146 KB, 816x684)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>1345751
>Am I using more money for gas?
And insurance, and the car itself, and the extra time spent in the car...
>Abloo abloo move back your doomsday date another ten years
"I'm literally too stupid to understand how climate change works, so if I'm literally not catching on fire, everything must be a-ok!"
>I'm the very external Italian
Italian diaspora... you guys are just olive skinned Anglos.
>>1345782
>we can't have rail transit until we literally exterminate a group of people in the largest genocide in global history
You "people".
>>
File: 1485014795734.gif (1.56 MB, 340x256)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB GIF
>>1345789
>insurance
Bundled.
>the car itself
Bought used, maintain it myself.
>extra time spent in the car
oh no sitting by myself in my air conditioned vehicle listening to my own music how horrible
>"I'm literally too stupid to understand how climate change works, so if I'm literally not catching on fire, everything must be a-ok!"

Oh, I know how it works, I also know that the solutions provided by the most vocal activists also conveniently bolster a political agenda. You know what will actually happen in ten to twenty years?
A better or cheaper air conditioner will come out, some new corporation will crop up around turning abandoned Costcos and Wal Marts into hydroponic complexes to compensate for lost arable land, and masses of equator-dwelling brown people will whinge, complain, and try to get into the US, unless they all already have by then.
Maybe in a good timeline there will be finally be a drive to start expanding humanity off-world, and once you can put a city on Mars, you can keep a city on Earth no matter what the damn climate does.
No matter what kind of scented oils Al Gore puts on his hands before he jacks you off, there won't be an extinction event on this planet caused by anything but our direct action, and by that I mean bombs. We're too stubborn, too stupid, and too complacent, so you may as well stop whinging and deal with it.

>Italian diaspora... you guys are just olive skinned Anglos.
I'm prepared to cede that point. I -am- pretty pale.
>we can't have rail transit until we literally exterminate a group of people in the largest genocide in global history.

You know, if I were serious about doing something like that, I wouldn't talk about it here. I -am- serious about keeping urbanite scum the fuck out of my neck of the woods, though.
>>
>>1345812
>and once you can put a city on Mars
You know you are operating at godly levels of intelligence and sanity when your solution to "Earth is being radically changed for the worse" is "lol just go to Mars". Truly a cancerous mindset, in a very literal sense.
>there won't be an extinction event on this planet caused by anything but our direct action, and by that I mean bombs. We're too stubborn, too stupid, and too complacent
There is an ongoing extinction event, in part because humans are fucking dumb and complacent. The extinction rate is like 1000x the background extinction rate. It's not that the Earth hasn't had major climactic shifts before but few were this rapid, and most of those major shifts involved a mass extinction. I think humanity will survive, I don't think the actual end of days is coming, but I do think humanity isn't going to enjoy the world we are creating.
>masses of equator-dwelling brown people will whinge, complain
No, their homelands are going to become increasingly unlivable, and unrest is going to grow as people literally don't have the means to live. It's a pretty mainstream prediction that mass migration is going to massively increase in the future as climate in equatorial regions worsens, which will only increase tensions in the developed world.

I'm fucking glad that your precious, precious car is worth mass extinction and political crisis which will bring even more brown people to your homeland.
>>
>>1345812
Oh, to add.
>I also know that the solutions provided by the most vocal activists also conveniently bolster a political agenda
"My politics are literally to blame for a completely solvable crisis, but that makes me uncomfortable, so I'm going to downplay the extent of this crisis"
Good shit.
>>
>>1345823
You see anon, me giving my truck away does not prevent any of that, because the water has already broached Bulkhead C and this Titanic is going down. You said yourself, this is an ongoing extinction event.

You mistake me for being some misinformed bumpkin, but not five years ago you and I would have sounded like twins.

> "lol just go to Mars"
Cancerous it may sound, but somewhere that isn't Earth is more like the Carpathia to us than another white blood cell to kill.

We're already fucked, and no amount of Democrats can fix it. Wake the fuck up.

>the captcha is cars
how apt
>>
>>1345828
>my politics
Or the politics that you believe I posses based on the evil, white-skinned Devil you have me made out to be in your mind.
>>
>>1345831
>We're already fucked, and no amount of Democrats can fix it. Wake the fuck up.
I don't think the Democrats can fix it either. Most normie environmentalists think that banning straws is going to save the world. No solution can come out of capitalism, because capitalism is a system which requires constant growth and ever increasing consumption. It enables all of humanity's greatest flaws, because it gives us exactly what we want, even when what we want is absolutely self-destructive.
>>
>>1345837
Listen Anon, I like you. I want to give you a continuation of the Titanic analogy I had going earlier to try and get you to understand where I'm coming from.
The incident has happened. We're both coal-stokers feeding the giant boilers that run the triple-expansion engines that keep the ship moving and under power. We realize that supporting the system as it is is no longer viable, but (Assuming we both know the scale of the impending disaster and the inability for everybody to be saved.) you and I have different reactions. You're still running up and down the decks trying to warn everybody that the ship is going down, to mixed reactions. I come to the conclusion that warning or not warning the passengers does little to alter the incoming disaster, so I go to one of the upper deck restaurants and enjoy a nice, 18th century bourbon before it all ends.
Would you be recognized as a hero? It's possible.
Would I be remembered as a careless shitter? Probably.

But we'd still both be dead.

So I'm going to enjoy white society while I can, I'm going to drive my truck, shoot my guns, and do whatever I please because I recognized years ago that it's already over.
>>
>>1345837
Now, I want you to listen to some nice music while you read the question I'm about to pose to you, so you're nice and mellow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAm_15LAKyM

Now, can you tell me exactly how an overthrow of our current center-right capitalism (in favor of an leftist -or- rightist ideology, it doesn't matter) in the United States, throwing all of the institutions one would possibly need to avert our fate into chaos, and putting several, very powerful elements and (((elements))) against you, would possibly be the best course of action, especially when, in the time it would take to stabilize the nation again afterwards, the problem would be much worse?
>>
>>1344556
As opposed to paying your cage accoutrement providers 1/4 of your income for a rapidly depreciating rustbucket you now need to sit in 4 hours a day?
>>1344665
sort of this
>mcsuburb cvcks terrified of brown people
>destroy their own lives and the lives of their children to escape needing to see brown people
>compensate to "not seem racist" by voting to import more brown people and putting those cancerous reddit signs in their front yards, in their white flight compounds only 600k starting
>>1344697
this. if we didn't waste so much money on cage infrastructure and rigging out sprawlfests for utilities and roadways and other services, imagine what we could have done with those tens of trillions of dollars. built a rail system that would put tokyo to shame. provide medical care to our citizens instead of havign working families forego medical care because they can't afford it, free education for our youth instead of having young adults greet life 50k in the hole and flushing white birthrates down the toilet, mars colonies, space travel, free energy, medical progress, or even something as radical as lowering the taxrate. instead we have cagesprawl and turned the country into a disgusting shitmess that's unpleasant just to look at and drives its citizens to depression, drug addiction, and psychopathy.
>>
>>1345812
i like how your argument to climate change and the world destroying changes it will cause to everything we know is
"we'll just move everything inside and build air conditioners, then fly to other planets"

That's pretty funny lol
>>
>>1346186
It's not my argument, it's what I, in my own experience with people, think will probably happen.
Everyone will put the most effort into not noticing the effects, and when the effects are too extreme to ignore, we'll take the easy way out.
>>
I have a feeling some of the cagetrolls are paid shills. That would explain why they contradict themselves so much and don’t care
>>
>>1346204
Speaking of cagetrolls, my experiences on the road both as a driver and cyclist have made me realize how utterly dehumanizing travelling by car is. We all become faceless atoms on the road when we are boxed in a car. There is no humanity to the person that just cut you off, or is driving to slow. They're just in your way. Maybe there is a good reason for their actions, but you can't hear them apologize or explain. I think that's why road rage and harassment (tailgaiting) is so common. It's kinda like the internet in a sense that being on the road allows you to act in ways you otherwise would not.

When I started commuting by bike this summer I noticed that I am often stopped by people, or I can just as easily stop and talk with someone. It's seamless and natural. I'm not even an outgoing person, but for some reason I must seem more approachable on a bike. People can shout at you on the streets which, though often abrasive, kinda makes you feel more human. Maybe it's just a silly thought, but it was an unexpected result of my change to commute to work by bicycle.
>>
>>1346216
This has actually been studied, and it's why road rage is so prevalent. Our minds are only meant to humanize actual human-shaped humans, we aren't amazing at viewing abstract representations of humans as human. Even when I drive, I feel pretty relaxed and don't let things get under my skin, but most people seem to become black holes of pure rage the moment they get behind the wheel. People seem to value getting where they want to go 30 seconds faster as equally valuable as a human life. I've never been raged at by anyone on a bike, even those tryhard boomers who wear the full spandex suits. Even when my friend caused a bike accident (which was 100% their fault), the other party seemed upset, but not especially angry about it.

Busses are sort of the same, cagefags here stomp and pout about being "trapped with disgusting poors and niggers" taking the bus or the train, but I've had positive and negative interactions with people of all sorts of backgrounds (class, race, otherwise) on public transit. Professors, annoying middle aged women, hobos, niggers, students, normal commuters, you name it. Even if not all of those interactions are positive, it's still valuable human experience I would have missed out on had I just gotten a car (I'd also have less money lol). I'm definitely treated as more human than I would be by raging cagers on the freeway. I think cagers have become so disconnected from their humanity, it's almost scary for them to recognize it. They also tend to have a sense of superiority over others, like they are above even interacting with certain kinds of human. It's sad, honestly.
>>
File: goodclips.png (975 KB, 1265x536)
975 KB
975 KB PNG
>>1343845
here is a video that i enjoyed on the same subject, OP

vimeocom/177447704
>add the . before com
>>
>>1346231
>that one chick getting run over

damn
>>
>>1346226
The main thing is, offering bus service does not force anyone to take the bus. You’re just offering a service, which takes cars off the road and makes travel easier for car drivers.
>>
>>1346317
I mean, when bus passes are one of the cornerstones of the state and county welfare system, given out to people who rarely own their own vehicles anyway, it's hard to make that point to a boomer (or any other anti-transit person) that actually knows what they're talking about. These are people who, if they didn't have these bus passes, would have just walked or stayed in the "hood" until their benefits come in on the 1st of the month.
>>
>>1346355
It’s perfectly easy. Offering a bus service doesn’t force anyone to take the bus and takes cars off the road, making travel easier for car drivers.
You don’t know what you’re talking about since your post was full of shit; irrelevant shit at that.
You can’t see the forest for the trees.
>>
>>1346317
Reminds me of when cager retards complain about apartment buildings being built. Urbanism isn’t taking away your shitty McMansions no one wants to buy; it’s just building better housing in other areas.
>>
>>1346399
I believe you misunderstood what I posted, so I'll try and simplify it for you.

Cars are not "taken off of the road" because:
1. The impoverished people that use the bus system do not own cars in the first place. They are able to ride because they are provided bus passes by the welfare system.
2. Due to that demographic being the majority of bus riders, current car-owners do not ride the bus.
3.Due to the above, most people continue to use cars instead, and pass that behavior on to their children, culturally solidifying car use among the middle-upper class population.

"Forcing" has nothing to do with it.

These are my observations from living in California.
>>
>>1346735
How in the world do you make an observation of whether or not people stop using their cars in favour of the bus? Do you ask people on the bus whether they used a car previously, or whether it deterred them from buying a car? Seriously, fucking HOW? What's your methodology for saying these things?
>>
>>1346400
>cager retards complain about apartment buildings

No one cares about new ant hives being built in cities, it's when they built them in the suburbs that it becomes a problem (sometimes)
>>
>>1346740
He doesn’t have anything to substantiate his horseshit.
>>
>>1346742
>i want to tell people what to do with their own private property
>>
>>1346748
Yeah. Deal with it
>>
Once again cagers are proven to be authoritarians
>>
>>1346752
Urban sprawl and car dependency was always about government control and social engineering.
Car infrastructure is the most costly kind, too.
>>
>>1346740
Do you not understand what I am trying to tell you, or do you doubt that I have come to the correct conclusion?

If it's the latter, I assure you that I have. From January to December of last year when I started working, I used the county bus system myself. I am currently a social worker that is in regular contact with the homeless community both here in the city I live and other surrounding towns. Here in California, we have the highest homeless population in the United States, and at the forefront of each and every homeless person's wallet aside from their EBT card is a bus schedule and pass provided to them by the county. This, I have personally seen.
These people are the overwhelming majority of bus riders in this area, and many either do not have the money to own a vehicle of their own, or have no desire or need to as they do not work.

Normal people don't want to ride with these people, and neither do I, so we don't. This reinforces the car-culture.

>>1346743
Anecdotal evidence it may be, but would you seriously trust anything else I post or would you continue to believe what you believe?
>>
>>1346748
There's no such thing as true private property.
>>
>>1346902
>I live in California
Found your problem
>>
>>1346231
God fuck I feel like I have ptsd from cycling in america. I've given up cycling and sold my bike, I can't even tell you the number of close calls I had but i'm certain i would eventually be crippled or killed by a cage. it's a warzone, it's like being in an active warzone. i've had shouting matches and physical confrontations with cagers. everything in that video has almost happened to me. they turn without looking, tey use bike lanes as turn lanes, parking lanes, they door you, cagers are scum and should be murdered.

but then the video goes full retard and starts grasping at straws. "here's a once in a blue moon freak accident where a cyclist killed a ped!" and cheatdeath footage. i've been harassed, shouted at, cagers have intentionally gone out of their way to braketest me and try to run me off the road. and they think it's funny. this guy is trying to do that on-the-fence "both sides are bad" shit and it's ridiculous.
>>
>>1346735
guess what. if everyone starting using public transit, undesireables would no longer be the majority on public transit. go to any subway line in nyc and it's a majority men/women in suits going to work.

fucking retard.
>>
The cageposters have gotten so bad here I'm starting to think they're impervious to logic.
>>
>>1347004
Some anons have mentioned it, but it is likely that some fraction of online cageposters are paid shills. Pay some tards 50 cents a post and they'll ignore any and all logic, pushing whatever you want.
>>
Its funny, because you ask any person why they cycle, or any transit lover why they dont have a vehicle, and they'll give you a calculated answer thats based on health and cost effectiveness.

Ask any personal daily automobilist why they own a car, they look at you dumbfounded "how else would i get to where i need to go?" As if they either have no forethought, and are trapped, or they are simply lazy amd fat.

Even worse are the ones who get the expensive gas guzzler "cuz i liked it, and i wanted it, so i got it! its a hemi!"
>>
>>1347017
I love transit and I have a vehicle.
>>
>>1346982
How do you -get- everybody using public transit when they do not -want- to, though? Keeping in mind that the cagers are supposed to be the authoritarians here.
>>
>>1347066
You disincentivize cars. Lower speed limits, higher taxes, fewer lanes, less parking, et cetera. The exact opposite that cagers have done when they dismantled the public transit infrastructure
>>
>>1347009
I've also noticed that they'll post an opinion and claim it's fact, then keep repeating it even though it's absurd and unfounded.

I have never seen a cagetroll link a study or cite any source for their "information".
They're just banking on repeating a lie until people believe it.
>>
>>1347066
>>1347068
Obvious samefag is obvious.
>>
>>1347017
Essentially. cagers just go with whatever the television tells them to do. they don't think, they're NPCs. every last one deserves a bullet to the head.
>>
>>1344217
It's true but at least here (Paris) the public transit system is heavily segregated. Balcks/Arabs fill the metro while native French try to avoid them by using cars or bikes/scooters.
>>
>>1344294
Spotted the non-Parisien.
>>
>>1345759
The line for tourists (Line 1 and 14 especially) are pretty nice but the outer ones are full of shady brown people packed in decades old coaches.
>>
>>1347069
Such as?
>>
>>1347072
Why would I samefag to contradict myself

>>1347082
Spotted the provincial who's mad he's stuck in Paris. The RER is unironically comfy

>>1347083
>line for tourists
>line 1
The line 6 is the ubertourist line though
>>
>>1347068
>You disincentivize cars
In other words in your mind you've already given up the battle between cages and transit: cages won. So you have to punish them. That's why you find opposition and "nimbys" at every turn. We know exactly what you're trying to do.
>>
>>1347090
It's alright, NIMBYs are doomed to fail. Personal cars will soon be a thing of the past, a relic of a dark time.
>>
>>1347081
>the public transit system is heavily segregated. Balcks/Arabs fill the metro while native French try to avoid them by using cars or bikes/scooters
The RER B and RER A are filled with ethnics, but some metro lines are full of Europeans
>>
>>1347095
>born just in time to suffer and die at the hands of cages
>not born late enough for rail based transit revolution
>>
>>1347068
So all of us living in rural areas can just go fuck ourselves and die, right?
It sounds like you want petty vengeance, not a working system.
>>
>>1347117
>URBAN planning
>hurr durr what about rural areas
>>
>>1347120
>proposing legislation intended to curb the use of personal vehicles
>WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT DOESN'T JUST AFFECT URBANITES?!

Any exemptions to remedy that issue would be abused to fuck and don't pretend that they wouldn't.
>>
>>1347123
Literally none of what I said has to affect rural areas.
>>
>>1347117
no one gives a fuck about your trailer park in alabama
but yes, you can fuck yourself and die anyway, retard cagefuck
we're discussing urban planning. URBAN. right there in the name.
>>
>>1347125
Right, so you pass a law that lowers speed limits, raises taxes on vehicles and gas, prevents the construction of new lanes on the Interstate, and adjusts zoning laws to make it harder to construct new parking structures.

How do you prevent this from affecting rural areas?
You make exemptions for various factors, like population density.

What I am saying is that you'll be flooded by lawyers in that case who will use whatever exemption that you wrote into the law to neuter it. (You see Anon, technically the population density of this side of the county is [x], and this other county absorbed this neighboorhood, so they quality for [y] exemption, so this new highway development is perfectly compliant.)

The tools you would use to prevent this from affecting rural areas would be used to neuter the entire thing, and if you don't put in exemptions, rural populations would be fucked into the dirt.

If you have a different proposition, please let me know how it would work, I am making some assumptions here.
>>
>>1347126
Cities don't exist in a vacuum, you pile of afterbirth. Whatever fever dream you pursue affects the rural communities, too.
>>
>>1347129
>You make exemptions for various factors, like population density.
That's where you're wrong. Urban and non-urban soils are already defined. Now I don't know about the USA and the Interstate system, but in Europe, motorways that run through urban areas have a limited speed of 80 km/h, as opposed to the 110-140 km/h of non-urban motorways. This means they're already classified by urban vs. non-urban. Pic related are, in read, the urban areas of France as defined by the INSEE. You make laws that apply in the red areas and not the rest.
>>
>>1347135
So for a system that doesn't exist in the United States, how would you define an urban vs non-urban area?
The definition and how the definition interacts with the legislation passed is what will be shot full of holes by teams of lawyers paid by interests that want to keep things the way they are now.
>>
>>1347139
According to Wikipedia,
>Urban areas in the United States are defined by the U.S. Census Bureau as contiguous census block groups with a population density of at least 1,000/sq mi (390/km2) with any census block groups around this core having a density of at least 500/sq mi (190/km2). Urban areas are delineated without regard to political boundaries. The census has two distinct categories of urban areas. Urbanized Areas have populations of greater than 50,000, while Urban Clusters have populations of less than 50,000 but more than 2,500. An urbanized area may serve as the core of a metropolitan statistical area, while an urban cluster may be the core of a micropolitan statistical area.
In short, to do the loophole you mentioned, they would need to modify the census block groups. Pic related would appear to be it.
>>
>>1347142
>Pic related would appear to be it.
It definitely would, but remember that when you're creating legislation, especially here in the states, you're trying to build an impenetrable wall, not write a law, and the building of walls in the current year is a very difficult undertaking.
The first thing I notice is that the President of the US Department of Commerce, of which the U.S. Federal Statistical System is a part, is an appointee of the US President, and is very much vulnerable to being a purely political appointee. Now this means that, in today's "Imperial Presidency", that the restrictions around the modification of census block groups are also vulnerable to the machinations of lobbyists (such as those from car manufacturers), whom if their business was threatened by a piece of legislation like that proposed above to curtail the use of cars, would definitely try to exploit.
>>
>>1347146
Here's a very recent example of the Census system being subject to politics, if you don't want to take me at my word.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-census/u-s-supreme-court-to-decide-legality-of-census-citizenship-query-idUSKCN1Q42EK
>>
>>1347120
>>1347126
this isn't /upg/
>>
>>1347095
>NIMBYs are doomed to fail

Reality distortion field
>>
>>1347156
Just wait till the boomers die off
>>
>>1347157
nimby boomers raise nimby kids, why else do you think there are anti-transitfags on /n/?

i wish for the day of the pillow too but that won't solve all out problem
>>
>>1347095
Cry harder, fringie. It won't change anything but go right ahead and cry harder. Then go get in the car sitting in your driveway and be sure to be on time for your 9-5 M-F job. This is your life, this is the world you live in, it's not going to change to suit (You), not now, not ever, nothing you say or do will ever change it, and that's a *good thing* because what you want would hurt *everyone*, including (You), you're just too myopic and foolish to see it. Good thing for everyone that your fringe opinions don't count, are ignored.
So cry harder. Might make you feel a little better.
Do try to accept reality though.
>>
>>1347157
Nimbys aren't all boomers, they're not all conservatives, they're not even all anti-transit.
>>
>>1347159
I am Anon and I support this message. The US has about as much chance of getting high speed rail and other euro-tier rapid transit systems as /pol/ has of successfully deporting every jew in the US back to Israel.

In short, it would be nice, but it's not gonna happen.
>>
File: pol_soccer_moms.png (38 KB, 627x249)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>1347158
>why else do you think there are anti-transitfags on /n/?
those are unironically literal boomers though, board tourists from /pol/. They prolly started clicking around on the other boards to see what's up and got T R I G G E R E D when they saw people with different opinions than them.

So remember folks, behind every "fringie" post is a soccer mom driving a minivan.
>>
>>1347095
Nah, we'll all die in some climate based upheaval due to boomer autism well before we get cool scifi shit.
>>
>>1347239
>posting on fagbook about using 4chan
My face can't physically cringe hard enough for this one.
>>
>>1347166
This tb.h. i'm pretty "far right" and yet very pro transit, environment and for walkable communities
>>
>>1347241
>we'll all die in some climate based upheaval

Alarmism is so weak
>>
>>1347239
Just like how every single poster on /pol/ that doesn't agree with the political ideology of any specific Anon is a paid member of the JIDF, right?

Please...
>>
>>1347288
This is not a political debate forum though. Its a board with a specific topic. Its more akin to preaching the wonders of live action on /co/ and how you should start taking the subway on /o/. I have never seen any threads on /tv/ about how they need to start reading more books
>>
>>1347410
To be fair, cars are transportation, so they're perfectly within the scope of this board, even if completely outside its culture.
>>
>>1347415
No thats what >>>/o/ is for. Or did you not know a car board exists here?
>>
>>1347431
You're a retard and about equally as bad for this board as the couple fringieposters. There is nothing about /n/ that would make cars not on-topic, no matter what other boards exist.
>>
>>1347435
You're whats wrong with the world. I mean theres no law against shitting on your livingroom floor but that doesn't mean you should do it.
>>
>>1347473
Your analogy isn't even applicable to this situation.
Are you trying to argue that discussion around car use isn't /n/-related when the entire thread is more or less discussing ways to curb car use in order to encourage alternative modes of transportation?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.