[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: vnj.jpg (75 KB, 960x720)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
Bike question general,. last thread is dead

ill start, pic related: what does this mean? (not my bike just in case), chain is worn out' or wrong chain for drivetrain? low end bike some friend wants to buy online(used)
>>
File: 1498531524727.png (161 KB, 422x357)
161 KB
161 KB PNG
Why do brakes squeal when wet?
>>
/n/ewfag here. Do bike people just mostly buy from amazon and ebay? If I want to buy a gun or gun parts or ammo I can easily find the best price online. I'm having a hard time doing this with bicycles.

For example; I need a new wheelset for my hybrid bike because I want to change to disc brakes. Most sites, including Amazon, might have 1 or 2 sets for 26" wheels. I don't want to go to a bike shop. I live out in the country.
>>
>>1338893
i mostly use wiggle & chainreactioncycles (same company). Sometimes amazon or local nz retailers. You can probably find what you want on bike-discount.de, bike-components.de or bike24.com (german companies), which are less sporting focued. get a dynamo hub wheel.

> hybrid bike because I want to change to disc brakes
lol are you sure this is as easy as you think
post a pic of your bike
>>
>>1338893
>I want to change to disc brakes

Do you have mounting points for the calipers on your frame/fork?
>>
>>1338798
hoooo buddy, chain is COMPLETELY worn out. Chainring is probably fucked too.

All bike chain is half inch pitch. You wouldn't see this by putting the wrong speed chain on a bike.

(yes, pedantic nerds, I am aware of the Dura Ace 10mm pitch system from the mid 70s. No one is ever going to "accidentally" install something like that)

>>1338893
>amazon
holy fuck, no. Just a hellscape of stuff with shitty descriptions being sold by who knows. Why does anyone shop for anything on Amazon anymore?

If you're in the USA, Universal Cycles is my go-to. Jenson USA is pretty ok, so is Tree Fort Bikes.
>>
>>1338904
actually you could see something like this from putting a 3/32" chain on a single speed 1/8" drivetrain.

This isn't that case, obviously, and you likely knew that, but regardless.
>>
I have a pair of tubeless ready wheels. Apparently they work fine with tubes, but they are hard to make work. What ends up happening is the tube around the valve is too thick for the tyre to get under/around and therefore it doesn't seat on the rim properly when inflating. It doesn't happen anywhere else just near the valve. I'm using standard clincher tyre. So, how to make work?
>>
>>1338798
probably means the chain is too short, but you'll need to replace it entirely at minimum and likely change the chainring too
>>1338803
many pads are made of a resin because it's sticky. so are many birdcalls. it's vibration from when the pad catches then slips in rapid succession.

redpill me on chinese carbon fiber seatposts and saddles. anyone on /n/ have experience with them?
>>
File: made in china.gif (1.96 MB, 350x276)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB GIF
>>1339159
>chinese carbon fiber
>>
>>1339032
I'm not sure if I am understanding you correctly, but is a bit of the tube getting stuck under the bead right near the valve stem? If so, push up on the valve stem to push the tube further into the tire. Obviously you will not want to have a nut on the valve stem while you're doing this. This is actually good practice to do in general whenever installing any tire on any wheel, because near the valve stem is a common place for a tube to get pinched under the bead during installation.
>>
>>1339205
t. bike shop owner
>>
>>1338798
The chainring in that pic is extremely worn out. That bike is going to need new chainrings, a new cassette, and a new chain. (possibly new rear derailleur pulleys too but that's generally not much of an issue) They are very worn out. To prevent things like that from happening in the future, the chain should be replaced once it reaches 0.75% stretch (a bike shop can measure it, or you can buy your own chain checker tool). This will generally mean replacing a chain every 1,000-3,000 miles of riding but it varies a lot based on many factors.

That same effect (the chain not sitting on the teeth properly) could theoretically also be caused by a chain that's too short or by a chain that's not compatible with the chainring or by bent teeth on the chainring. But in this specific case the appearance of the chainring teeth make it obvious that it's just really worn out components.

>>1338893
Ebay often has good selection, as do various online bike shops. I sometimes do a web search for the specific product I am looking for, and see which of the online bike stores has it cheapest. I'll also compare to ebay prices.

In your specific case you probably can't change to disc brakes because your frame and fork probably don't have disc caliper posts.
>>
File: carbon steerer.jpg (114 KB, 666x1000)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>1339209
Nah I'm just a REAL STEEL retrogrouch. Carbon is for freds.
>>
>>1339205
Trek frames are made in China did you know that
>>
>>1339216
STEEL
>>
>>1339216
IS
>>
>>1339216
REAL
>>
>>1339227
steel doesn’t explode like a dying star when it fails.
>>
>>1339234
Neither does carbon 99% of the time
>>
if you're right on the edge of frame sizes for a mountain bike, would you rather go for the smaller or larger frame?
>>
Why are bar-end shifters so expensive? Same for DT shifters. There's no reason for a set to cost like $80, they're so incredibly simple.

>>1339283
smaller
>>
File: Anthem-2_Color-A_Black.jpg (102 KB, 1080x650)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
Both my local shops did demos this week, tried a Giant Trance29/Anthem29, and Specialized Stumpjumper 29 (and all the full-sus eBikes because draining the batteries on them is hella-fun).

TL:DR: Giants felt meh, and Spec. felt lethargic. I'm not racing, so would an XC 27.5 be the better setup for trails, or should I give 29 another chance?
>>
>>1338897
I think hybrid was the right word. It’s a diamondback wildwood classic
>>
>>1339352
>>
>>1338900
>>1339214
Sorry, it’s a “comfort” bike rather than hybrid. It has the 2 holes on each side of the axles.
>>
>>1339353
>>1339352
Those are for mounting racks/fenders. Disc brake mounts will looks like this, the ones for your rear wheel are the same but on your non-drive chainstay.
So no, you cannot put disc brakes on it. If your brakes feel like they don't stop well, get some better pads or even calipers. V-brakes are pretty cheap. If the noodle on your front is one of those stupid springy ones, replace it with a normal one.
>>
File: IMG_2799 (Custom).jpg (438 KB, 3000x2000)
438 KB
438 KB JPG
>>1339297
>Why are bar-end shifters so expensive? Same for DT shifters.
They're extremely high quality and they last for ever.

bar-end is also mostly aimed at tri race bikes and both are low-numbers niche products.

If you want some cheap there are loads of old ones floating around.
>>
File: sunrace thumbies.jpg (57 KB, 1200x1200)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>1339297
these are $10 as well lol
>>
>>1339222
>calling Taiwan by the glorious China name
your social credit score has been adjusted
>>
>>1339302
Do you ride anything currently?
I have a 27.5 spark (trail 120/120) and it feels kind of ponderous after road/gravel bikes. Often think when I'm riding it I should've got something more XC oriented.
>>
>>1339466
Trek and Canyon frames are made in the same factory in mainland China.
>>
>>1339466
Even the CCP agrees that Taiwan is a breakaway province of China rather than China itself. Commies such as yourself fear the KMTchads.
>>
>>1339499
Actually, China is the breakaway province.
>>
>>1339501
Breakaway provinces run by communist rebels.
>>
>>1339238
>1 out of 100 carbon failures are explosions
Not very reassuring
>>
>>1339503
Most exploded carbon you see is from crashing. The number of JRA failures is so negligible I couldn’t even list out enough 0s to give you the percent of those that occur without exceeding the post limit.
>>
>>1339473
I ride a Giant TCX with 650b tires for CX/XC trails. I didn't consider a Spark, but with the right tires it might work.
>>
>>1339207
Damn I'm a retard. Thank you very much lmao.
>>
>>1339509
Sorry I was trying to be funny
>>
>>1339466
basedposter
>>
>>1339224
Someone took a hammer to that
>>1339225
Someone took an axe to that
>>1339227
Someone took a saw to that
On the other hand, carbon breaks randomly and arbitrarily, and, as you admitted yourself, 1% of the time it involves a catasrtophic explosion.
>>1339503
based
>>1339509
>he's such a filthy casual that he never pushes his limits so he never crashes
Sounds about right.
>>
i just got a vanhawks that a bud wasn't using at all
is this worth it?
looks cool, rides nice, and its free, which is a plus, but they went out of business and there's no smart-aspect at all
>>
>>1339283
According to the official charts? Me personally? Smaller if I'm going to be using it for mountain biking. Bigger if it's an old rigid mountain bike that I'm going to be re-purposing for commuting.
>>1339297
Because only retrogrouches, triathletes, and time trialists use them anymore and all three of those groups of people want quality stuff and are willing to spend the money for it. Just my speculation.
>>1339302
Fuck off to >>>/o/ if you want a motorcycle. If you want an actual mountain bike, it really depends what kind of riding you want to do. XC bikes are nice for long rides on mellow terrain. They're easier/faster for climbing. Longer travel bikes are better for more technical terrain and faster descents on the downhills. 29 is more popular for mellow terrain and XC bikes, whereas 650b (27.5) is more popular for trail/enduro bikes and more technical terrain. My enduro bike (160mm travel) has 26" wheels and I love it, I have no desire to go up in wheel size. If I was going to be doing a 200km ride in the southern Utah desert (that is, long distance on flat mellow terrain) then I'd like a 29" hardtail XC bike, or maybe even a bikepacking bike like a Fargo.
>>
>>1339355
>It has the 2 holes on each side of the axles.
Pretty sure you're talking about the fender/rack eyelets. Those aren't for mounting brakes. Post a pic.
>>
>>1339355
>>1339718
Nevermind, I didn't realize those two pics were yours. But yeah, everything the other anon said (>>1339357) is right.
>>
>>1339715
I've broken a frame in a pileup in a crit, have you?
>>
>Have a pair of Louis Garneau Course Air Lite
>They're size 43
>They've always been a bit small, caused a bit of foot pain and such
>Dealt with it for the past few years since I've had them
>Decided to buy a new pair of shoes to go with my new bike
>Splurge and get some S-Works 7 Road shoes
>They're a size 42
>They fit perfectly, no tightness or toe smashing against the front

So I'm confused, do different shoe makers size their shoes differently despite there being a set sizing scale?
>>
>>1339772
Are you 6 years old? Yes, of course. How have you never encountered this in your life?
>>
>>1339784
I only have one pair of shoes, a pair of sandals and a pair of boots for work. They all fit the same. Throughout my life I've only had a single pair of shoes. Is a matter of fact the price of my two pairs of cycling shoes cost more than all the shoes I've ever worn since I was young.
>>
File: IMG_20190531_230423.jpg (958 KB, 4640x3480)
958 KB
958 KB JPG
Just got a new bike, what does this barrel do near the handlebars? adust the cable tension of the front derailleur? At what point should I stop turning it? I can't seem to notice or feel any visible changes.
>>
>>1339938
Its function depends on what it connects to "near the handlebars" tells us nothing, trace the cable
>>
>>1339940
It's connected to the left shifter and disappears into the frame body
>>
>>1339941
then it adjusts the cable for your front derailleur. Don't fuck with it unless your front shifting sucks in which case you should watch a video on how to adjust it before you do anything. Simply twisting it blindly will only make things worse.
>>
>>1339943
Thanks
>>
>>1339941
twist it blindly, faggot
>>
I've got a carbon bike, today about halfway through a ride I hit a bump and there was a terrible cracking noise. On immediate inspection nothing was wrong so I carefully finished my ride. How can I go about inspecting this to make sure it's all good to go? I've got a race this Tuesday and not sure what to do.
>>
>>1339159
Im using one of those 9€ carbon saddles on my commuter. Seems fine so far, using it for a year now. Dont be too fat though, a 90kg friend of mine had some delamination with the same model after a while on a mountainbike.
>>
File: SRAM S300.jpg (133 KB, 1149x1500)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>1338798
My BB is beyond worn out and needs to be replaced but the cranks are seized to the square taper so I might have to cut the BB spindle and possibly get new cranks. I was thinking of going full autism and going external BB but have a hard time justifying spending my bike's cost on a replacement whole new drivetrain without knowing the benefits of external vs internal BB.

Fresh drivetrain with external BB will cost $200. An internal will be about half that if I need new cranks, $50 if I don't. What I'm wondering is, is external BB better than internal ISO square taper? This bike goes to hell and back. You all know I'm a courier so it sees rain, snow, salt, sand, everything.

tldr; internal or external BB?
>>
>>1340289
I wouldn't go with an external unless you end up needing both a new crank and BB. Even then, I wouldn't necessarily spend the extra money unless you want some new parts anyway. I'm assuming you don't make a ton of money as a courier, because I sure as hell didn't. I tended to get more mileage out of a square taper than I did out of external cups anyway.
>>
>>1340289
I had the exact same problem when I worked as a courier. I splurged on the external BB. It wasn't worth it. It made no difference at all.
>>
>>1340317
Damn, I figured that's how it is. I really do want new parts but you're right, I make chump change for a living. I'll just save it for the eventual velodrome track weapon build. Tanks fren
>>
>>1340322
Thanks for additional feedback, will stick with the low cost more durable option then. This is why I asked
>>
>>1340201
Assuming you can't get it to a trusted mechanic, tap test and visual inspection. Focus especially on the portions stressed by the wheel that hit the bump when you heard the sound. Eg, fork, headtube, especially the headtube/downtube joint for the front wheel, rear triangle for the rear wheel. Seatpost, ect.

>>1339283
Smaller.
>>
>>1340201
About all you can do is a thorough visual inspection, particularly around bends like the headtube area, as that's where carbon tends to be weak due to voids in the layup. The coin tapping test is kind of a meme because you need to know what a bad spot sounds like. Xray+ultrasound can expose most internal cracks but unless there's a carbon repair place like Ruckus or Calfee near you you're probably not gonna find anyone with the equipment.
>>
>>1339772
S-works 7 shoes have a wider toebox than most. I wouldn't be surprised if your old shoes were squeezing your feet and making yours toee bump up against the end.
>>
>>1338803
you probably need to toe them in
>>
>>1340289
I've ridden square taper my whole life and never had any problems.
recently needed to re-gear to a compact crank. a guy on ebay had one for cheap but it was hollowtech, but the price included the bb, so I copped.
I honestly can't tell any difference. the bb weighs a little less but I don't notice in practice--then again, the new crank weighs a little more than the old one, so maybe that's why. really, I can't tell any difference at all. so it's good, but there's no reason to shell out a lot of money for one except gram shaving, I guess. IMO.
you need two new tools to install it, so that's wack, but my co-op had them, thankfully.
this is Miyata 312 guy, btw.
>>
>>1340446
Ey, 312 touring Miyata guy, that's a little disappointing for how much they charge for external BBs man. I'm assuming the only reason to have one now is prestige... Change of topic, the Miyata 912 I was eyeballing was sold before I could gather the money for it. Sadface
>>
>>1340453
>the one that got away
drag.
>>
why do people ride mb's as commuters?
>>
can someone please recommend me a bike. i will use it for mainly commuting on paved roads but would also like to be able to ride it on light trails and through the forest and stuff. currently looking at the Kona Dew, Scott Sub Cross 20, Bianchi C Sport, Cube Hyde Pro, or the Cannondale Badboy 4
>>
>>1340544
Some prioritize comfort over speed
>>
>>1340549
I'd probably cross out the scott and the cdale (suspension blech). Of those I do quite like the look of the Kona.

How long is your commute, and I take it you're not interested in drop bars?
>>
>>1340544
It's inexpensive all around. 26" won't die and you can update the components and modernize it at a low cost if you know what you're doing.
>>
>>1340544
potholes and the like makes a mtb a better choice for commuters,
>inb4 potholes and shitty roads are third world lol !
>not riding on glass smooth surfaces
fuck off already.
>>
>>1340557
i was thinking the Kona too, from what i've read of them online they seem really good. I have drop bars on my old road bike and i tend to find the most comfortable position to be upright. To be honest the commute to work is only 10 mins but I will mostly be using it for leisure. I live in the countryside and will be using it on the roads but some trails y'see. Thanks so much for your help btw
>>
>>1340549
I'd skip the sub cross for the fork, and the bad boy and cube are memes. The c sport is overpriced.

Get the Norco indie instead. One of the cheap ones. Or something steel from Jamis.
>>
>>1340549
Marin Muirwoods because it's chromoly
the ride is nicer than other hybrids.
>>
File: trump birdy.jpg (136 KB, 600x337)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
If Donald Trump was a bike, what kind of bike would he be?
>>
>>1340615
illegally tuned E-fatbike ridden by an obese boomer who laughs at roadies and calls them weak and poor while passing them uphill.
>>
I'm looking to put a suspension fork on a rigid bike for summer riding. The bike has a 51mm offset, but I can only find 41 or 44mm offset forks in the size that I need. Would it make a big difference using a 44mm fork instead of 51mm?
>>
>>1338798
Chain is insanely stretched, this causes the teeth mismatch. You need to replace it.
The chainring is worn out too, also replace that.

>>1339159
>chain too short
No, a too short chain would still fit in the teeth. You get in trouble with the rear derailer slack with a too short chain.

>>1339214
A worn chainring cannot cause the mismatch, the number of teeth on the diameter is still the same.
It is the stretched chain.
>the mismatch could theoretically also be caused by a chain that's too short
wrong, see above

>bike needs a new casette
How would you know? It's not on the pic. If the casette has as many miles as the chain and chain rings you are propably right.

>buy your own chain checker tool
Nah, not worth it, chains are so cheap. Just replace the chain when you don't know how many miles it has.

This nigga gets it:
>>1338904

>>1339205
Stop shilling China is always shit. The device you are posting from is from China and is super high tech compared to a fucking bike frame.

also see>>1339474

>>1339772
Actual shoe sizes vary greatly on manufacturer and destination market. It like xs, s, m, l, xl, xxl - could mean anything.

>>1340544
Because they look so cool and tough and massive and are really in right now. Think of people driving SUVs in urban territory.
Most of my friends ride mtbs in urban territory and I have to pedal half as much as these guys on a tour with my roadie.
>>
Doing set up on a new bike. Indexed rear derailleur, set rear limit screws. Everything changes nicely except when I put it in the smallest rear sprocket. It clicks like a bitch and if I pedal backwards the chain wants to jump off - what is going on?
>>
>>1340644
Sounds like the inner limit screw is still too tight
>>
>>1340623
but then you are weak or dont understand how to use the gears
>>
>>1340645
H or L?

t. repair newb
>>
>>1340644
If the chain drags outside the casette adjust the limit for that end (move towards the casette)
If the chain drags the the second smallest cog reduce the bowden tension a tiny bit
>>
what should I upgrade from my 10 speed to?
>>
>>1340652
10 speed casette is already quite a lot.
The difference between the cogs just gets smaller with more cogs on the casette.
The total available transmission range is the more interesting thing and thats indendent from the number of cogs on the casette.

I have an 11 speed casette and I find myself to shift more often. I wouldn't go higher. It also requires a finer tuned derailer and a smaller chain, I don't really see the point.
>>
>>1340652
You shouldn't
>>
>>1340641
U sound like a faggot
>>
>>1340289
External BB cranksets are much more pleasant to work with. Especially the shimano type - with left crank held by pinch bolts. They are also stiffer - but if that translates to any practical benefit, I can't tell.
>>
>>1340652
Nothing. Drivetrain peaked around 2x9 and 2x10. Anything more is adding pointless clickery or introducing other tradeoffs.
>>
My bike is coming in the mail tomorrow, Canyon, and it's equipped with Ultegra Di2. How do i check the battery level and will I have to charge it before going out on the first ride?

Also, what are some basic maintenance things I should look out for that's different from a mech set?
>>
>>1340805
what tradeoffs do you feel are present with a 2x11 drivetrain?
>>
>>1340808
RTFM
>>
>>1340808
Hold both shift switches on the right shifter for a couple of seconds and the light on the junction box will indicate the battery level for you. Solid green = fulll, flashing green = 50%, solid red = 25%, flashing red = dead.

With Di2, it should shift the same all the time unless the derailleurs themselves have changed position. So unless the front derailleur gets bumped and becomes crooked or the rear derailleur hanger gets bent, you shouldn't have any problems. If it comes with the little bluetooth guy, download the app on your phone so you can update the firmware periodically yourself. Not much other than that. I doubt you'll have to charge it before riding, but check it anyway. Enjoy.
>>
>>1340657
>>1340805
I think he means OTS
>>
File: vomvom.jpg (16 KB, 250x250)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>1340832
>downloading an app to maintain your shifters
Jesus fuck. I was starting to come around on electronic shifting but I changed my mind.
>>
>>1338798
Worn chain , bad drivetrain , maybe bad cassete too
Don't buy this junk
>>
Im buying a new bike , but im poorfag , i have budget of 150-200 euros left , so i want to spend it on bike (road)
What i can get with this money anons ?
>>
>>1340842
haha, yeah. I don't want it on my own bike, I just want everything on my bike to me human-powered. But that being said, it works really well. But yeah, you have to make sure each component is periodically updated. It's nice though with the newer bluetooth thingy because you used to have to get the diagnostic box thing and plug it into the computer or have a shop do that for you.
>>
>>1340848
90s rigid mtb
>>
>>1340805
closer spacing on a road bike is a sport thing
don't pretend you understand or can appreciate it if you're not a roadie
>>
File: 11-18.jpg (225 KB, 600x450)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
>>1340853
Do tell. Pic related - I rode this 11-18 when I was a poor long time ago and had time to ride 12000km/yr.
>>
>>1340836
Those 2x5 stuffs from the seventies? Answer remains - there is no sensible ( cost effective ) upgrade path to those things.
>>
I'm thinking about a long (at least 1000 miles) east-west bikepacking tour. Would pic related make it possible to 'sail' if given a headwind? Would it be retarded to try this on a stiff/aero race bike? An article I read showed that pannier positioning could have a drag effect equivalent to carrying an additional 20kg, so why should I not commit to full aero (vs prioritizing comfort) if I were only doing 70-80 miles/day?
>>
What should I do if I'm bottoming out my MTB suspension while running 20% sag? Increase air pressure/stiffness and run even less sag? Or just bottom out and not worry about it?
>>
>>1340866
>>1340866
Bottoming out is fine if it happens rarely ( as vague as that term is ). If it happens too often and you are already at 20% sag then the next course of action would be to increase slow compression.

It also depends on how much travel your suspenson has. 180mm forks are run at 25-33% sag. 70mm forks are often happy with 10% and my 30mm fork adjusted for road uses no measurable sag at all.
>>
>>1340859
Closer spacing has always been a thing, yes, but now we're getting closer spacing in the gears that people mostly spend their time in along with more range for climbing gears, along with closer spacing in those gears as well. 2x11 and 2x12 just requires more precision in setup, which is made easier with electronic shifting. eTap in particular is really easy to setup, and I imagine that future generations will completely automate what little challenges are left and make it 100% plug and play, so long as you stay within the system on all components.
>>
My sitbones are about 130mm. What size saddle should I be looking at? I saw an article claim that I should add 20mm to find my saddle width. I'll be commuting.
Specific model recommendations would also be appreciated.
>>
File: cas.jpg (64 KB, 512x512)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>1340870
All that is true. Except it was already possible on 2x10. And if you wanted all of that range, you went with a triple.

3x10 gets you more usable ratios then 2x11. It also allows to use, for example, 11-23 cassette and still get all that range.

On the other hand - 11 added a host of problems, and in many cases, a loss of gears, not gain. All that hinges upon - do you really need that extra range.

If you don't, then ( using 11-28 as an example )

Replace 11-28 10-speed with 11-speed. Now all lower gears are shifted 1 position to the inside. Hello chainline issues.

Replace 11-28 10 speed with 11-speed 11-32. Now you have a 32cog you barely, if ever, use.

This "moar raeng" mantra ends with cassettes worn as pic related. High end dead, low end useful and the entire thing being ridden as a 2x5 most of the time.
In the end - you get pic related. Tons of cassettes
>>
File: cas_10_11.jpg (408 KB, 3742x660)
408 KB
408 KB JPG
>>1340878
And for the doubters. 10 and 11 speed cassettes side by side ( chinesium 11-42 and slx 11-36 ). It is clear that 11 is just 10 with an added cog. Which introduces a ton of problems.

I've gotten 11 speed to work fine only with careful management of the chainline on 1x system. Otherwise something always goes sour.
>>
>>1340884
>I've gotten 11 speed to work fine only with careful management of the chainline on 1x system. Otherwise something always goes sour.
Dude what are you talking about? Set up a 1x11 system as the manufacturer recommends and it works fine.
>>
>>1340885
I'm talking about trying to get a 2x11 to do as well as I could on 10 and 9 ( and 8, and 7 ). Regardless of what you do - the reduced tolerances coupled to the need of dealing with a wider cassette always make shifting to perform worse on the extreme ends of the cassette. At some point. Its inevitable.

On 1x it works because you don't need to deal with an FD - those N/W rings really work well.
>>
>>1340703
Yes, I know. I've been fapping to gay porn already today. I'm also hungover and didn't want people to seed false claims on this board.
>>
>>1340890
>make shifting to perform worse on the extreme ends of the cassette
I'm assuming you're talking about the front shifting?
>>
>>1340803
Thanks Trybo, I already made my mind on sticking with the more sensible BB for my application. Externals do look easier to work with considering my current cranks are seized onto the square taper spindle no matter how hard I turn the tool. I've only considered externals because I'm very likely going to need new cranks.
>>
I can't find any road bike with disk brakes here , should i wait , or it doesn't matter ?
Honestly i hate the v brakes
>>
File: ratios.png (41 KB, 1020x351)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
>>1340878
>>1340884
I did the math today on my 2019 2x11 roadie vs my 2017 3x8 cross bike
- number of individual rideable gear combinations with non overlapping transmisson ratios
- total possible transmission range

The ratio value represents how many revolutions the rear wheel does per 1 crank turn.
Red cells mean the theoretic gear combinations cannot be used due to chain angle.

I found that I have more individual rideable gear combinations (15 vs. 13) and an equal total transmission range on my 2x11 roadie. (3.4 range width)

My conclusion was that 3 chanrings are pointless because you get the same range or better with 2.
You would get the same range width by removing the middle of the 3 chanrings on the cross bike.

I agree with you that 11 speed is too much though and 9 or 10 is peak sanity for the reasons you mentioned.

There are a lot of hills in my area so I need a broad range, uphill and downhill.
>>
>>1340912
What do you mean? Do you want to buy used?
Used bikes are old and disk brakes are a fairly new thing on road bikes so they're hard to find.
Cheap suggestions for new bikes:
- Vitus Razor
- Marin Nicasio
- Marin Gestalt
- Cube attain disc
- Triban RC 500 or 520 (semi hydraulics)

I eventually also bought a new one because I couldn't find discs on a used bike.
>>
>>1340914
Your mistake is subtracting the low end from the upper end for the "range width". The important thing is the overall percentage increase. If you divide your numbers you'll see:

4.4/0.9 = 4.89
4.6/1.1 = 4.18

So your 3x8 actually has more overall gear range. I would also recommend using a website like http://gear-calculator.com/ instead of custom Excel sheets.
>>
>>1340916
Can i mount disk brakes on frame ?
It's really rare here to find a disk brake road bike , and if found it's so fucking expensive
Yes im a poor fag
>>
File: KIMG0763.jpg (1.76 MB, 2448x3264)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
here's a pic of common cones I took today at my bike shop. pretty sure this chart is not available elsewhere
>>
>>1340926
https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/all-cones.html
>>
Hey guys, I recently just acquired a old bridgestone mb-2 from a friend who was moving. It has a roller cam brake mounted behind the bottom bracket. How the fuck do I deal with that or get rid of it? is there any way to convert a roller cam setup to something more traditional?Seems like a big ol' pta to me
>>
12 speed Eagle was a mistake.
>>
>>1340943
why?
>>
>>1340623
exactly this
>>
>>1340648
guy, really?
inner is the easy gears, so low i.e. L
this is true front and rear, but as you can easily see, the inner rear cogs are large while inner front chainrings are small. that's how ratios work.

just think: chain is inboard=easy
chain is outboard=hard (fast)
true for front and rear.
>>
>>1340970
Well, seems like this guy >>1340645 told him wrong then.
>>
>>1340848
USE THE FUCKING PROPER THREAD
>>/bbg/
>>
>>1340925
your frame and fork need to be manufactured with mounts for the disc calipers.
if you're not sure if you have them, that means you don't.
sorry.
>>
>>1340972
no, inner limit is the L screw, which is what he and I both said.
>>
>>1340982

>>1340644
>Doing set up on a new bike. Indexed rear derailleur, set rear limit screws. Everything changes nicely except when I put it in the smallest rear sprocket. It clicks like a bitch and if I pedal backwards the chain wants to jump off - what is going on?
>smallest rear sprocket

That would be the high limit, chief. Nowhere did the guy asking for help say anything about the "inner".
>>
>>1340988
I'm this guy >>1340645 and you're right, I must've misread the question.
>>
>>1340878
3x sucks and I've never met anyone who actually likes it, especially over a wide-range 2x. And yeah, wide range is retarded for most riders who aren't going to be doing huge climbs, or who would be better off with a subcompact crank anyway, but there's a certain set of riders for whom it makes a ton of sense, and for another group of riders who really want to be like that other certain set.
>>1340943
wurks on my biek
>>
>>1340863
the aero from bikepacking setups does make a big difference at speed on the flat
the aero from panniers really slow you down. It's almost as significant as how much the weight fucks you on climbs.
It's definitely worth going for if you want to be fast

you just don't get nearly as much space and it's trickier to pack, so you'll need to have expensive gear (inflatable pad etc), ruthless minimalism, not go long between places to buy food/ get water, and maybe not cook or camp or both.

Yes you absolutely could do it on any road bike, especially if you already have one, but with the extra weight and how it's often best to ride b roads or gravel, you'd still be better off with fast 28-35mm slicks, so an endurance road bike with wider tyre clearance or a cross bike or something is probably more ideal. With most road bikes you'll also lose the oversized cages on the forks bit of a bikepacking setup, because you can't clamp to carbon and they won't have the 2 mid fork bosses like some meme bikes have.
>>
>>1338893
Amazon: I don't know how stores work so I simulated one in code
>>
>>1341084
>3x sucks
t. fat mtbfag cager boomer who doesn't tour
>>1340805
>11sp sucks
t. poorfag drug addict bikeshop nerd who's not a roadie
>>
>>1340918
>Your mistake is subtracting the low end from the upper end for the "range width"
You're right

>gear-calculator.com
I'll give it a shot
>>
I have a fixie because, only bike available at that time, I would like to have speed, rear hub spacing is 110mm but wheel with speeds comes at 130~135mm.
Should I try to force the wheel in, will this work ?
Or is there wheel with speeds that fits the 110 mm of the rear hub spacing ?
Or should I sell my bike and buy a new one ?
>>
>>1341115
3x sucks for most people. 11 speed kind of sucks for most people too. Way too finicky.

I steer most of my customers and friends toward 9 speed 1x or 2x unless they are doing a 1x mountain setup or rich as fuck.
>>
>>1341137
Many internal gear hubs can be easily added to single speed frames and the frame itself can be spread to fit wider hubs it it's steel.
>>
File: IMG_20190603_165711.jpg (2.81 MB, 4160x3120)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB JPG
Hi, can anyone tell me what kind of bottom bracket this is? Currently fixing up an old Huffy 314 roadbike for the memes and I'm used to mtb stuff so idk
>>
>>1341184
Ashtabula-style one-piece crank
>>
File: 2x11vs3x8.png (73 KB, 1081x783)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>>1340914
First of all - you are comparing apples/oranges. It would be fairer to compare 2x11 with 2x10 and equalize over range or

Second of all - you are not equalizing for the extra width of the 11 speed cassette - which makes your setup kind of odd - 28 can be freely used with more gears then you allow, but by the same token, 34 should disallow more cogs.

If we use the aforementioned gear calculator we get - pic related. You get 16 usable gears on 2x11 and 20 on 3x8 if every factor is equalized.
>>
File: closeup.jpg (176 KB, 1200x745)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>1341084
>3x sucks and I've never met anyone who actually likes it, especially over a wide-range 2x.

You should preface it with: Overwhelming majority of cyclists are not using the FD in an optimal fashion.

That is because all that nonsense talk about chainlines and cross-gears and duplicates. So people use the FD _WAY_ too often.

Anyhow - all this talk triggered me into finally ditching the 1x11 on my roadish bike. Now I rock 2x10 with 50/39 rings and 11-23 cassette. Kind of steep for me, but whatever. We'll see how it goes. Pic related.
>>
>>1341486
>you are comparing apples/oranges. It would be fairer to compare 2x11 with 2x10 and equalize over range or

derp.

...equalize over range or selectable gears. On a triple you either get more gears to select in a given range, or more range with the same gears.

3x10 with 52/39/30 rings and 11-28 cassette gives you the same gears that 2x11 52-39 with 11-32 does and adds some really low gears to the mix. As a bonus - you avoid the awkward 16T gap between rings that compacts have.
>>
>>1341488
I have a 50/40 with a 12-23 9 speed and I fucking love it. 1t gaps on my most used gears. Mostly spend time on the 40 since I'm commuting with lots of stops. Rarely drop below the 17 cog, but I'm in flatland.
>>
What does it mean when you get a flat tire, and the shape of the flat on the inner tube looks like a scuff mark? It isn't just a straight up puncture, it looks like a scuff mark along the seam
>>
>>1341486
>28 can be freely used with more gears then you allow
I was refering to the manual of the bike and it specifies the useable gears like this. And I can confirm it this way - 28 chainring on 6th cog and above has a too crooked chain.
Don't forget the 2x11 has a narrow chain and cogs + the 2 chainrings are more centered to the casette because the chain ring stack is narrower.

>You get 20 useable gears on 3x8
No, not quite due to crooked chain and redundant transmission ratios. I subtracted redundant ratios.

>On a triple you either get more gears to select in a given range, or more range with the same gears
Or no benefit at all. Recall what I said earlier that you could dismount the middle chainring on a 3x and have the same range.
This would also allow for more selectable gear combinations with a less extreme chain angle because the chain ring stack is narrower.

>you are comparing apples/oranges
Well I'm comparing bike gear shifts with their individual rideable gears and possible transmission ranges
>>
>>1341695
it means ur mom gay
>>
how much do you reckon I'd be able to sell a specialized Sequoia frameset and wheelset? both are completely unused. (the wheelseet is the handbuilt one they give with most complete sequoia bikes)
>>
>>1341747
bout tree fiddy
>>
>>1341747
200€ on the general market.
Maybe you find some autist collector that pays more.
>>
>>1341772
man that's crazy, I mean their frameset when it's new is like €1000! and that's not including the wheels then. I was hoping I could "trade" it for an ogre frameset

just to make sure: you're not talking about the old sequoia model they had in like the 80's?
>>
>>1341778
Used bike frames and parts depreciate in value worse than cars.
>>
>>1341778
>>1341780
Normal riders just buy a complete bike with warranity and where everything is matched.
Building up bikes from frames is more like a hobby on its own outside of normal riding/competetive riding (except high end tier)
If the frame isn't high end or fancy italian its not worth so much.
>>
New parts do depreciate really fast. The only new things I buy for bikes are cables and chains. I get all my other stuff from cheap used bikes that are not in roadworthy condition, but still have some good parts. For example, the old roadbike I bought for 60$ a week ago had a nice brooks saddle, good brakes, good wheels and good tires and tubes. Plus I get a nice frame, fork, stem, bars, etc.
>>
Cyclists buy into marketing so insanely hard. Everything a year or two old is unusable rubbish to many.
>>
File: IMG_20190604_160056.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
What type of tire is this. It's a Kenda, but I can't find any info on it online.
>>
update on last thread's question about my chain sounding misaligned but acting fine:
it seems the anon who said it was stretching and would fix itself was right, it's quiet now
>>
I ride a mountain bike with disc brakes and have recently been having troubles with my rear brakes. I assumed my pads were shot since I used to have a bad habit of only using the rear brakes and my rear tire treads were gone, so I ended up throwing on a new caliper with new pads. The issue was still there though. The only thing I could think was that the disc itself was lacking friction so I attempted cleaning it with alcohol although this didnt show any noticable improvement. /n/ what should i do? I havnt been on a hill in weeks because im to afraidot use it
>>
>>1341882
Just threw a new chain and cassette on and shifting has been jenky and it sounds broken as hell, i assumed it was stretching and would eventually stop on its own, this is comforting to read
>>
>>1341737
>>1341737
>I was refering to the manual of the bike and it specifies the useable gears like this. And I can confirm it this way - 28 chainring on 6th cog and above has a too crooked chain.

Manuals are a reflection of whatever the writer of the manual thought was a good idea. How do you judge "too much"? I literally posted, in this very thread, a result of gear-calculator which equalizes over deflection angle and it allows 16 gears on 2x11 and 22 gears on 3x8.

>>1341737
>Don't forget the 2x11 has a narrow chain and cogs + the 2 chainrings are more centered to the casette because the chain ring stack is narrower.

And once again - in this very thread there is a picture - side by side, of 11 and 10 speed cassettes showing clearly that 11 speed is wider by one cog then 10speed. Which in itsself is a touch wider then 9, which is almost identical to 8. You want pictures?

>>1341737
>No, not quite due to crooked chain and redundant transmission ratios. I subtracted redundant ratios.

With redundant ratios out, you get something like 12 ratios on 2x11. Redundant ratios are a meme anyways. You have a chainring, you have a cassette. You use that chainring for as long as it is sensible to avoid using the FD. Deflection angle - because of wider stack, is more of an issue on 11+ drivetrain, then it is on 8.

>>1341737
>Or no benefit at all. Recall what I said earlier that you could dismount the middle chainring on a 3x and have the same range.

But range does not tell the whole story. If we were all about range, then 2x2 would be a thing. Its not, because we also want reasonably tight spacing between gears. Having triple-sans-middle type of gearing makes you end up with a massive 20T something gap between the chainrings. 16T on compacts is bad enough.

>>1341737
>Well I'm comparing bike gear shifts with their individual rideable gears and possible transmission ranges

...and a triple will always give you either more range, or more gears within a given range.
>>
>>1341778
>man that's crazy, I mean their frameset when it's new is like €1000!

A bike loses 30% of its value the moment it gets sold. Then its value drops by 50% each year since its model year.

Some high-end boutique parts hold its value pretty well - but even then. In three years expect to get a third of its sticker price. Or less.
>>
Thinking of going to work for Decathlon. Any experiences.
>>
File: img_1771-e1527614968344.jpg (857 KB, 1500x1500)
857 KB
857 KB JPG
For steel frames, is pic related the only type of rear dropouts available? They look ugly as fuck, and if I were to get a steel disc bike, I'd hate for the bike to be ruined by those dropouts, so much so that I'd much rather go back to rim brakes.

And is there any real problem with running quick releases with discs? I understand the whole wheel popping out concern, but can it be mitigated by simply doing up the quick releases much more tightly??
>>
>>1342036
>Mariposa Bicycles World Headquarters
>emergency marketing meeting
>guys, why is nobody buying our bikes in Spain or Latin America?
>>
>>1342049
no comprendo
>>
File: cycling_ritchey.jpg (86 KB, 580x386)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
this might sound like a gay question but is there any essential difference between american and european road race bikes in terms of handling?
some euro racer guy commented that he prefers american bike handling - are amerifat bikes faster handling lower trail compared to yuro which are slacker?

>>1342036
that is a nice nice bike, sad about the threaded trough axles!

>And is there any real problem with running quick releases with discs?

its not popping out out its flex.
Flex -> disc rub since smaller tolerances, that being said threaded aluminium on aluminium trough axles are dogshit, read here >>1341757 >>1341758
>>
>>1342055
mariposa = faggot, pretty much.
>>
>>1342076
>mariposa = faggot, pretty much.

isnt mariposa=butterfly in literal translation

I do get your point, but I doubt that its an issue since it looks like a rich western hipster bike
>>
>>1342036
I haven't had many issues with QR/discs on a mountain bike.

The wheel popping out thing is horseshit if you install them correctly.
>>
>>1342071
Certain bike geometries are limited to specific regions he’s right
>>
I have a hybrid with a 9speed SRAM and Suntour groupset (botom of the barrel)

Cheapest way to turn it into a single speed?

Will a freehub converter, chain tensionser and new chainring bolts be ok?
Will I need a narrow-wide/ss specific chain-ring or new crankset?
>>
>>1342092
Just don't shift
>>
>>1342093
I want to reduce the weight of an already obscenely heavy bike, and have a clean cockpit
>>
>>1342095
Then yeah, you can keep the current crankset. Though I've had a couple of friends who ride fixed gear bend road chainrings, due to all the torque you apply since you're stuck on a heavy gear all the time.
In any case I'd recommend just buying a cheap SS and keeping your hybrid for when you inevitably want/need gears again.
By the way, narrow-wide chainrings have nothing to do with SS, they're for 1x drivetrains. You can't drop the chain on a SS
>>
>>1342101
thanks, useful info for the NW. This is my 3rd bike, I want to use it as a beater for going to the pub, and figured SS is less hassle and cost over time, especially when it inevitebly gets stolen
>>
>>1342102
Gut the sucker then
>>
>>1342092
recently did this to a 2010 Giant yukon.
>Bought hub conversion kit.
>Bought very cheap chain tensioner
>Kept chainring same and ran the same size chain despite different gauge conversion kit
>Suspension seized so binned and fitted spare steel forks
>Fitted 700c wheels
Success?

>Bike rode very well for a good while as a rain bike
>Headset very clean as only front brake left
> However spring inside tensioner broke within weeks
>Bike still works fine though as i opted to put up with slack chain and drop chain down to a smaller front cog.

I would suggest spending money on a chain tensioner to make sure you get the gearing experience you want. If you arent fussy it can be a very cheap conversion to make without much flaff.
>>
>>1342071
I feel like discs are way more trouble than they're worth, same goes with press-fit BBs.

>>1342076
Ah, I see. Not that I really care about the implication anyways.
>>
>>1342071
I've heard my friend's C64 do the guillotine "shick shick" when he's sprinting. Thru axles can't stop everything, but in their defense, he's a pretty tall guy and was doing something like 1,200 watts at the point I heard him. I went back and checked Strava just because I wanted to know what was needed to get a Colnago to flex.
>>
File: 1305598235246.jpg (75 KB, 1280x720)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
I was cleaning my bike after it's first ride today (20mi) and it sounds like there's sand in the bottom bracket

>Only done 20mi on the bike
>Didn't ride through any sand (though it rained earlier in the day but it was dry)
>Bike is brand new
>Ultegra Di2

Since I had the bike up high on the stand maybe it's just the bearings and I never noticed it. I can;t fathom how sand would have gotten in the bottom bracket after only ONE ride, 20mi.

Am I being paranoid here?
>>
>>1342158
It might just be paranoia or grit in the chain. Can you describe the sound more? Also, how did you clean your bike?
>>
>>1342160
I noticed the chain was dirty so I wiped it with a shop towel, same with the chain ring and cassette.

It sounds like there's sand rubbing together inside the bottom bracket. There was a bit close to it but it looks like everything is sealed up.

Again I never had my face directly infront of the bottom bracket while rotating the cranks so maybe it's always made that sound and I've never noticed.
>>
>>1342158
Your BB is like a $30 part, don't worry so much.
>>
>>1342162
>I noticed the chain was dirty so I wiped it with a shop towel, same with the chain ring and cassette
Probably activating grit onto the rollers of the chain. Oil chain, don't worry about, and stop being a bitch about your bike being a little dirty, as nice as your Aeroad is. Over maintaining and degreasing and stuff can be bad too.
>>
>>1342187
I'm just so used to everything I enjoy or look forward too getting shit on, taken away or ruined in some fashion. After the ride today, that's the most fun I've had in years, and I just wanna try to make it last before it inevitably all goes to shit becasue it will..

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it.
>>
>>1342191
>I'm just so used to everything I enjoy or look forward too getting shit on, taken away or ruined in some fashion.
Ey man, I'm too familiar with that feeling too. Nice bikes are fun, just enjoy your ride man but I swear to God if I see your Aeroad out in the wild, I'mma annoy the fuck out of you then dust your ass with my shitbike.
>>
>>1341998
As long as the chain and cassette are compatible it should take ~25 hours of use. It shouldn't feel bad while shifting though, work those barrel adjusters
>>1341983
Bleed the lines and see if that fixes it
>>
What's the best way to protect my neck? Turtleneck vest or some kind of meme cap?
>>
>>1342250
Protect your neck from what?
>>
>>1342250
they're called buffs
very versatile

you can buy them at any outdoorwear store, and i'd try get one from a higher end one or you'll get chinked on material it's still not gonna be much
>>
I don't know much about geometries. How do you think an aluminium bike with a carbon fork with this geometry would handle downhill and in the city? General thoughts?
Do you think the L would be a good choice for someone who's 5'11 with a 32.6" inseam? According to the effective top tube length it should, but I might be missing something.
>>
>>1342275
Forgot to add, can you think of any mainstream bikes it's comparable to?
>>
>>1342275
You're really overthinking this whole road bike thing anon
>>
>>1342287
I don't usually look at geometry charts much, but I found that frame in what I think is my size for a very good price. The tubing is supposed to be of pretty high quality since it's Dedacciai.
I have no idea what to compare it to and there are no reviews or comments about it online though, so that chart is all I have to decide if it's worth trying out.
>>
Im bottoming out my rear suspension on the mtb easily and often. My sag is set at 20% and its a nice 100mm Fox shock. Im thinking about increasing the pressure to something less than 5% sag, just a noticeable sag maybe even 1%. I really just need it to absorb impacts; what is wrong with what I'm thinking?
>>
>>1342325
5% is insane. You need more travel or less fat.
>>
Carbon Fibre is glorified plastic
>>
File: autisticButDry.jpg (109 KB, 800x800)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
Has anyone tried strapping one of these to a bike?
It looks stupid as hell and will probably catch wind like crazy, but I have a specific use case for it.

During my work commute I'll have to start carrying work related stuff that is sensitive in the rain (and too big for a pack). The main options I've been considering are this, a bike poncho, DIY'ing some kind of waterproof pannier.
Considering how cheap they are on aliexpress, I might just buy one with a poncho and test them both.

Opinions?
>>
>>1342252
Vampires. The sun.

>>1342254
What do you mean about the material? It'll fall apart or be itchy?
>>
>>1342331
Whats insane about it? Im 150 lbs and shredded.
>>
>>1342325
change the way you absorb the impacts unless you want to regularly be familiar with rebuilding your shocks and replacing your bearings
>>
>>1342405
Should work just fine on an upright bike at low speeds
If I were you I'd just strap whatever you're carrying to a rack and cover it with a waterproof tarp.
>>
If I like the Fizik Antares R3, would an Antares 00 still be comfortable while wearing casual clothes with the minimal padding it has, or is it designed to be used with bibs exclusively?
>>
>>1342522
Because your shocks will act like they're mostly locked out except for the big hits.
>>
>>1342527
i dont know what i can really do, im not hitting drops im just descending pretty quick. i did my first xc race the other day and the course went through 2 enduro stages that i compared my times to and had i entered enduro i would have placed top 5. more suspension isnt really an option because my bike would gain weight which no one wants in xc.
>>
>>1342560
although i have been considering it, if i have a pretty high end full suspension bike that came with 100mm how much could i add to it without destroying its handling? i guess 120mm would be safe but could i do more? maybe 150mm and run like 35% sag?
>>
File: cycling_chad_virgin.png (997 KB, 3038x1495)
997 KB
997 KB PNG
>>1342125
>I feel like discs are way more trouble than they're worth, same goes with press-fit BBs.

Im warning you because (((the industry))) wont. That being said, discs on road bikes might be a fit for someone...

>>1342090
>Certain bike geometries are limited to specific regions he’s right

But what is the essential difference in "feel" of italian bikes compared to american bikes?
lets say a Bianchi compared to Specialized Tarmac?
>>
>>1342586
There isn’t one I was shitposting you’re fucken dumb
>>
>>1342586
good picture but Chad's VO2max > 40 doesn't make sense.
>>
>>1342586
wtc Dura-Chad decals for my shit
>>
>>1342586
im 12 of the things on the right, i win
>>
>>1342594
Chad recirculates entire planetary atmospheres with each breath. He is oxygen. It's why people describe Chad as "a breath of fresh air"
>>
>>1342612
I'm pretty sure he means that a vo2 max of 40 mL/kg/min is not very high, because it's not. I'm a lowly cat 4 and mine hovers around 58-60 most of the time.
>>
File: BLK-open.jpg (1012 KB, 2065x2500)
1012 KB
1012 KB JPG
I'm thinking of waxing my chain since it seems to be better than normal lube and since I got a new bike I wanna take really good care of it. When i got the bike I applied some ceramic lube becasue I was unsure if I should or not, better safe than sorry.

This chain doesn't have a quick link so if I take the chain pin out (looks like a grey disc and larger than the others), do I need to buy a new one?

I also don't own an ultrasonic cleaner but I could do the bottle shake method or some other but I need to get it perfectly clean.

My main concern is getting the chain off and back on, I should be able to handle everything else.
>>
>>1342623
Get YBN quick links they are perfectly fine to reuse a number of times.
>>
File: logo.png (10 KB, 515x475)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>1342624
What tools do I need to install them? All I have is the chain tool on my crankbros m17.

Also reading some reviews some people have expressed concern about the rub on wax not getting to where it needs to be but all the reviews seems pretty good.

Maybe I should just hotwax it?
>>
File: MLP-1.2_002.jpg (17 KB, 600x400)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>1342626
I use MSW and really like it, there's nothing like racing on a freshly waxed chain. I use pic related to install the quick links, some might say it's overkill but I want to be absolutely certain I'm locking it in with everything straight and flush.
>>
>>1342614
Yes I know and I am describing what Chad really does. Maybe it just looks like 40 to the virgin observer.
>>
>>1342626
hotglue it imo
>>
>>1342630
So to install a quick link I basically just remove the link with the master pin and install the quick link there?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (57 KB, 874x608)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>1342630
Anything else I need? I grab the spirits/degreaser and denatured locally.
>>
File: ybn link.png (225 KB, 1389x357)
225 KB
225 KB PNG
>>1342645
These are the links I use, I've never used the KMC ones. They might be fine, I can only give advice on what I have experience using. Just make sure you've got some wire coat hangers or old spokes that you can bend to make the chain swisher thing. A thermometer for the cooker is a good idea too, supposedly letting it get up to 190*F is 'correct'. And make sure you let the chain heat up with the wax, don't melt it and then dunk the cold chain in, your temp will drop way too low. Also don't cut corners when you're degreasing the chain, you only do that step once during the entire chain's life so do it right. And clean off all your cassette cogs and chainrings from your old lube before you put your waxed chain on, this is the only time you'll really have to do this. Have fun anon, wax is great.
>>
What do you do when there's a dog chasing you and nipping at your heels? I lightly kicked one in the head with my heel the other day and I thought the owner was going to fight me.
>>
>>1342676
Kick the owner in the head too
>>
>>1342252
my Shaolin sword, son.
>>
>>1342676
then fight him
>>1342677
yes
>>
>>1342254
did his neck vomit?
>>
>>1342405
>During my work commute I'll have to start carrying work related stuff that is sensitive in the rain (and too big for a pack).
Have you considered wrapping shit in a contractor bag when it's rainy?
>>
>>1342650
>Just make sure you've got some wire coat hangers or old spokes that you can bend to make the chain swisher thing

Didn't have any of that so I twisted a bunch of strands of craft wire together. Not as strong as a hangar would be but should suffice
>>
Are bottom brackets servicable or are you supposed to just buy a new one? By bottom bracket has began creaking and i can feel som play when i wiggle the cranks by hand.
>>
>>1339716
free bike!
From the info on the kickstarter it looks like the only useful function of the app was the lojack, which worked only by having enough on the road that it would pass another one to trigger a notification. Other than maybe the maps it all draws from a dedicated server. You might be able to mess with the app to regain some function, or at least access the onboard tech to rig up another lojack, no gps and bluetooth is limited away from you, but perhaps they just stuffed a raspberry pi into a bike frame, I doubt it can be too complicated even if not.

Regardless it looks like a good bike, if it is not too heavy. I also ride a single speed but you may want something more versatile, I have not had any problems with mine.
>>
>>1340640
This person thinks it will actually be a better ride:
"Back to our testing, riding the forks on bike that were designed for them, of course feel great. Now we are putting them on bikes that originally were designed with the 51mm offset forks, bikes like the Yeti SB5.5, Evils The Wreckoning, new Devinci Troy and Santa Cruz Hightower LT, we found these bikes do have improvements with reduced offset forks. Does it handle like a new bike, no. But it does help with that cornering ability, straight line stability and also slow down the front end feel a bit".

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blogs/worldwide-cyclery-blog/video-fork-offset-explained-does-it-really-make-a-difference
>>
>>1340652
single speed
>>
>>1342822
very old ones will be serviceable
modern, no
new cartridge replacements are cheap ~$20 and saves a lot of hastle cleaning, repacking and adjusting bearings, which may not even be good.

if your bike is old you could try service it first. but you should be able to find a cartridge replacement for even old standards.
>>
File: gottagofast.webm (622 KB, 460x252)
622 KB
622 KB WEBM
>>1340640
>i want to modify my bike
>why don't i ask about it on an image board
>should i post a picture of my bike?
>no
>>
File: IMG_20190606_160931.jpg (253 KB, 980x735)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
What type is this? How di O remove it?
>>
>>1342832
>>modern, no
depends if it's threaded or not.
I've had to tighten the case of my threaded a couple of times over 10k+ km.
>>
>>1342917
that's not really servicing it though
servicing a bb means cleaning the bearings and repacking with grease and re-adjusting

that used to be a thing
>>
>>1342920
fair enuff
I think you can actually take cartridge bearings apart and do that but it seems like a pain
>>
>>1342923
nah you fucking can't lol
>>
>>1342925
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxBWBT2lmR8

?
>>
>>1342822
Both types exist. Modern external bearing types are very servicable, but some older cartridge square taper ones are not. Some are. Overall - need more info.
>>
>>1342914
Looks like a Maillard Helicomatic rear hub.
>>
>>1339224
>>1339225
>>1339227
Well, it took it 30-ish years by looks of it.
I mean, no modern bike uses brazed thing.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (40 KB, 480x360)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>1342928
From my experience re-greasing is pretty useless.
Just get new bearing. Those aren't designed to be serviced. Some even come with metal caps, which can't be removed without damaging them.

Btw, why kick scooters (including electric ones) use industry standard deep groove bearings, while most bikes use weird 18-th century abominations like pic related?
>>
>>1343078
ball bearings are weird 18th century abominations?
>>
>>1343081
Maybe he meant spherical balls vs cylindrical rollers... I would assume cylindrical are more primitive since perfect spheres are more difficult to make
>>
Anyone ever do any type of bike delivery? I might do pizza or jimmy johns, anyone know about ubereats etc?
>>
>>1343081
I meant serviceable hubs.
Well, 19-th century technology, actually.
>>1343082
That is Grug-age technology.
>>
>>1343095
in what way are cup and cone hubs not servicable?
many millions of them have been serviced, some of them by me.
>>
>>1343082
Cylindrical bearings are for shitty kids toys, you want angular contact on a bike.
>>
>>1343110
>in what way are cup and cone hubs not servicable?
Those are pretty serviceable, but loosing balls sucks...
I was talking about sealed deep groove axial ball bearings they use in scooter, and looks like in bike cartridges.
>>
what kind of lock is /n/ using?
>>
>>1343159
Cheap decathlon cable combination lock.
Because
>1. Nobody will risk stealing this piece of shit
>2. I loose keys
>3. I had another cheap lock with key, and I lost keys, and I had opened it with swiss army knife and some force.
>4. Niggers that want to steal will steal even with stainless steel U-lock
>>
>>1343159
Older model Onguard Brute for locking rear wheel/frame, and some kind of cable thing for front wheel
might get another u for the front wheel instead, would be more secure and probably smaller. i only need a little length anyway.
keys only, combo is slower and has security issues
>>
>>1343094
If you're going to deliver, it's more secure to get hooked up at a place like JJ, Potbelly's, some pizza place, or your local courier company but with the food places, know that your duties will be more than just delivery when it's not busy. If you need to have a versatile schedule, one of the delivery platforms is not bad if you can sacrifice security. I'd still suggest getting onto a platform, I know a JJ courier who also runs Caviar on the side. If you're going to strictly run a delivery platform, find the one that dominates your city (all cities are different) and sign up for that one plus a second platform. Most importantly, if you run a platform, reserve those scheduled shifts, you'll get delivery priority and helps you build a rhythm mentally. Start slow and pace yourself because you'll be riding for hours. If you don't, you'll burn out. Fuel yourself good and drink lots of water. Last, don't splurge on shit you don't need and save extra for taxes.

I've been doing this hustle for about 4 years. I've been on GH, PM, DD, and Cav but not UE. Right now DD has been booming in my city so I've been almost mostly on that. It's not bad if you know where and when to work, I've been pulling a consistent $17-20 an hour, more or less. There's good days and bad days, build financial cushion for bad days. Haven't gone to a legit courier yet because I need to be able to make my own schedule but once I can, I will.

Don't worry too much about your setup, that'll come as you gain experience. Feel free to ask any more questions. I'm sure others are or have been couriers here too.
>>
>>1343159
Kryptonite Evolution Mini 7 with a cable
>>
How do I fix disc breaks that sound squeaky/grindy when I apply the break?
>>
>>1343291
that's usually an issue of worn pads or new pads, or incorrect alignment. Check to make sure the disc isn't rubbing against the metal backing of the pads. If so, replace and live with squeaks for a couple of rides.
>>
>>1343291
WD-40
>>
File: PHOTO_20190607_144419.jpg (1.92 MB, 4032x3024)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
There's a chip in my seatstay's aluminium tubing, about 20% of the way up from the rear wheel axle. The chip is about 2mm at the deepest point (pic related). Is it still safe to ride?
>>
>>1343300
you can stand in front of a stop light and repeatedly bash the pole it's fixed to with a wooden hammer while praise Allah then it will be fixed. ;)
>>
File: Pam is best.jpg (185 KB, 1024x819)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
What is the most redpilled bike?
>>
>>1343300
Probably for a while
Try standing on the pedals and hopping on it, see if it flexes weird
>>
>>1343308
a car
that's what you're going for right?
>>
File: IMGA0042 (Custom).jpg (1.4 MB, 3000x2000)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>1343300
yeah dude for sure
just check it occasionally for a hairline crack
THEN it's fucked

I think you could very likely get many years riding still with nothing further happening
>>
>>1343311
>carrying a load like that without an under driving gear ratio for torques
fuckin hell dude must have monster quads
>>
>>1343315
i think that's tea
>>
>>1343327
i'm pretty sure they're oil containers but they're empty
>>
>>1343308
>What is the most redpilled bike?

all-road bike with mauser mounted on side of top tube

all components made by countries who were in the axis in ww2
>>
Can I get a quick rundown (or the link to a website that has one) of the differences between different Campagnolo Chorus 11s generations? Also, would a newer, ultra torque 11s Potenza or an older 11s Chorus be better?
>>
>>1342107
Thanks anon.
Def getting a chain tensioner, hub spacers and a ss rear cog
Apparently you can use what's called a ghost cog to sit in the chain to tension it, but I'm not brave enough for that
>>
>>1343444
There are basically two generations of Campag 11 Ultra mechanical. First gen ran until 2014/2015, when it was replaced by what they called Revolution 11, which made some major changes to front shifting, eventually introduced hydro disc brakes, made the hood shapes nicer, changed crank spider to pig disgusting 4 arm, and most importantly they totally broke compat with previous gen and with Powershift stuff. Used to be you could get PS everything except shifters, and pair with Chorus+ shifters. If you were really nutty about chrome, you could toss Athena levers onto Chorus bodies if you couldn't find the rare first-year Athena Ultrashift silver. But that's totally no bueno now.

Personally I'd go for Chorus 2015+ because I like Ultrashift so much. Pre-2015 is fine too, but parts availability outside of fleabay will suck.
>>
>>1343498
Thanks. I thought this used bike I want to buy had full pre 2015 Chorus, but apparently it has Chorus brakes and shifters, Centaur carbon brake levers, Fulcrum crank and Athena everything else. That, plus the fact that it has a ~53cm top tube (I'm 180cm, 83cm inseam), for 1500€ is making me have second thoughts.
>>
I had to get my rear tire replaced and I noticed it says "inflate to 40 PSI." Is this the absolute limit or can I inflate it to 60 like I used to?
>>
>>1343550
there should be a range somewhere on the tire, google it if you can't find it
>>
>>1343550
It should be fine but if it says that there's a reason. Probably the new tire is wider than the old one, and thus the recommended pressure is lower.
>>
Are there any 26" tires between 1.5" and 2" that roll well and have decent puncture resistance? I know that there's the Pasela PT in 1.5" but their sidewalls get cut like crazy.
>>
Anyone ever DIY’ed mounting legs for a wald basket? The legs it cane with are way too long and I don’t want to cut them down. I like the way the legs on the origin8 rack work so if there’s anything like that that could be adapted it would be perfect.
>>
>>1343550

What exactly are you riding that you are considering inflating 40 psi-rated tires to 60 psi?

Are you riding a mountain bike on pavement?
>>
>>1343575
Schwalbe Kojak
>>
File: 2019-06-07 18.09.23.jpg (262 KB, 1220x916)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
Is it possible to convert a 1-1/8 threaded headset and fork to threadless? Trying to convert pic related to threadless for more options on forks and stems
>>
>>1343602
Definitely but will require you to install the right headset bearings. There's a couple videos on YT about it.
>>
>>1343594
Cool, those weren't on my radar and look like a good middle ground between Marathon Supremes and Compass 26x1.85 Dingleberry Pass, and cheaper than both. Thanks!
>>
>>1343575
26" Marathon Supreme come in 1.6 and 2.0

Low rolling resistance and reasonable puncture resistance.

If you want supple and comfy though, that means relatively fragile sidewalls. Sorry.
>>
>>1343580
>and I don’t want to cut them down
lol why not? Do you want something even simpler to do than that?

You can just ziptie a wald basket onto any front rack you like.
>>
>>1343693
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/schwalbe-kojak-2017

tldr: slow, fragile, cheap and light
>>
>>1343695
Yeah, and supple means $$$$. It would be funny to burn $150 to replace my miserably slow Fire XCs with Heine's Japanese rubber, and then be slower anyway because I'm spending all of my time fixing flats.

Didn't realize that Marathon Supremes came in 26. Definitely a strong consideration, as I like them in 700C. Thanks for the heads up.
>>1343697
Do you have any experience with using the Kojaks? I'm looking more for real-world experience than BRR's testing, and most people who have used the Kojaks are positive as far as how well they roll, one of them going so far as to say they're almost the same as Compass RTPs. But I'll likely go with the MSs as they're a known quantity to me.
>>
>>1339224
Bikes look old as shit, another testament to REAL STEEL
>>
File: sram gx eagle.jpg (82 KB, 1200x1200)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
I currently have Shimano SLX groupset on my mountain bike. I want to completely replace the drivetrain with SRAM. So new crank, rear derailleur, cassette, levers, BB. I understand I need the SRAM XD driver body too, but if I buy all that will I have compatibility issues with the rear wheel?

>tl;dr switching mtb drivetrain from Shimano to SRAM, do I need a new rear wheel?
>>
>>1338798
how do i get into bike maintenance and repair? Where do I start? I feel like it could be a useful hobby and get me away from the computer a bit
>>
>>1343793
You only need an XD driver if you want a cassette with a 10 teeth small cog. You can keep your current Shimano cassette (and wheel) otherwise. It will work fine with a SRAM derailleur.
>>
>>1343826
buy a decent 80/90s bike, a workstand, and restore it

you can do it bit by bit with something rideable, or undertake a full project.
>>
Thoughts on salvaging spare parts from vandalized bike shares?
>>
>>1343863
Those bikes are pure shit, so obviously the parts you could get from them are pure shit too. And they tried to make them as non-standard as possible, to prevent bike thieves from stealing parts of them.

So yeah, probably not a good idea. And technically its still a crime to take them.
>>
Does bike suspension work well enough in cold weather (-15C / 5F)?
>>
>>1343951
depends, oil or air fork? I had an old school oil kind that slowed rebound so badly it was safer to ride locked out
>>
>>1343951
No. Modern forks, of any brand, are built for the usual fair weather. The usual problem is thickening of the damping oil - it needs to be replaced. Lubrication is a problem - full oil bath forks are long gone.

Regardless - even the best prepared fork is going to be much less sensitive in the cold. Up to freezing solid.
>>
>>1343863
A lot of them use propriety parts intentionally to prevent theft.
>>
>>1343826
there are some charity bike shop places near me they have volunteer and paid roles they will help you get recognised training certs and tings, as well as showing you the way. once youve got easy qualifications you can apply for lots of jobs if you wanted to.
>>
>>1343480
i recommend using a circlip to hold the tensioner in place better. if your front sprocket is above a certain size (about 30 tooth) then you can use a front BB tensioner without any circlips.
>>
>>1343308
For safety and comfort considering the state of roads while being able to accelerate out of corners and climb hills easy a singlespeed MTB converted to electric is so good. I recommend putting riser bars on it. Much fun
>>
>>1343291
They could be contaminated from stuff on the road, your hands or your tools. If its not too bad take clean sandpaper and rub them down a bit. It could also be that they were not bedded in properly. Theres tutorials on how to do it properly. Also check the caliper and disc bolts are tight.
>>
Carbon fiber will always be lighter than aluminum.
>>
what happens when you can't find a gear hanger for your bike frame, do you make one? Couldn't they become somewhat universal at some point?
>>
Any better helmets than the Giro Synthe MIPS at around 150€?
Is MIPS a meme or should I keep looking at helmets that have it? For example the Kask Protone and MET Trenta are around the same price but don't have MIPS.
>>
>>1344526
>>1344526
>>1344526
>>1344526
>>1344526

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.