[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 37 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Do you think America would have a higher life expectancy if we were a more pro-transit country?
Heart disease and car accidents are two of our leading causes of death.
>>
yea, definitely. urban city living with lots of walking, daily groceries, balanced around transit is really healthy.
it's not as convenient as suburban life though and shit like housing is way smaller and more expensive. also most cities are built around cars and just aren't that nice to walk around in, and the truth is that cars are pretty fucking convenient.
this isn't just an american problem. modern german and british cities can also be pretty fucking bad for walkability.
>>
>>1331859
>cars are pretty fucking convenient
Eh try living anywhere near Atlanta, Houston, Dallas or Los Angeles, or even Nashville.
Building your city around cars makes it extremely inconvenient.
>>
>>1331863
I live in toronto which now has the worst traffic of any developed city in the world. cars are still pretty convenient here. being able to go exactly where you want exactly when you want and load shit into your car instead of carrying it is just really convenient. cars are comfy and private. in smaller cities cars are just so great, it's not until you get to be a pretty big city that the serious problems start.
>>
>>1331867
>developed city
>car-dependent
Pick one
>>
>>1331867
Dude. Any time there is a large population in a place, traffic is bad.
That's why planning your city around cars is stupid. There's nothing you can do to ease traffic besides give people other options besides cars.
>>
>>1331873
Wrong, the solution is to loosen zoning laws so people can just live there or incentivize people to put up businesses in places that aren't jam packed
>>
>>1331938
Put up businesses in places that are sparsely-populated and then you’ll have more people driving to get there. So that’s just incentivizing car traffic more.

Loosening zoning laws is good though.
>>
>>1331873
Cagelets, when will they learn?
>>
>>1331873
Even with traffic, commuting by car is faster than transit pretty much everywhere in the US that isn't New York City. And NYC, probably the most ideal location in the US for mass transit, what with its high population density and all, has the worst commute times of every major city.
>>
>>1331863
Sitting in a climate controlled box with all forms of entertainment at you disposal isn't inconvenient at all, its mimicking the same situation I experience at home. Not a big deal.
>>
Americans are shit, so anything that lowers their life expectancy is objectively a good thing.
>>
>>1331850
What is that map supposed to be showing?
>>1332171
Sitting on an air-conditioned train with free wifi where you can watch TV, read, work on your computer, or even play card games with friends beats driving your car in gtiflock while listening to commercials on the radio by a mile. But you probably wouldn't know, since you've never experienced the former.
>>
>>1332229
*gridlock.
>>
>>1332229
>What is that map supposed to be showing?
Bike paths I believe.
>>
>>1332229
It’s the bike paths of Europe. Take it with a pinch of salt because I believe some of them in England are just country trails.

Pic is a Polish bike lane. No idea how this happens.
>>
>>1331850
>Do you think America would have a higher life expectancy if we were a more pro-transit country?
Lower.
>>
>>1332407
Kurwa! Ja pierdolę.
>>
>>1331850
What's the map of? Because seeing Poland with better coverage than France is a bid confusing.
>>
>>1331850
Paris and London have expansive transit systems and still have terrible air.
>>
>>1332689
Dedicated cycling paths.
>>
>>1332703
Did you mean to post this in another thread?

Not sure what you thought was relevant about this post
>>
>>1332711
Well, it is pertinent to talk about air quality when talking about public health and life expectancy. Mass transit takes cars off the street, which helps with air quality, anon's point is that this isn't doing the trick for Paris and London.
>>
>>1332703
also the air on the tube in london is like smoking a cigarette
>>
>>1332726
Eh much worse air quality is in Los Angeles, a city built around car travel.
All he pointed out is that when you group a lot of people tightly together, you will find emissions.
At least you’re right about transit taking the place of some car trips.
>>
>>1332171
>Sitting in a climate controlled box with all forms of entertainment at you disposal isn't inconvenient at all, its mimicking the same situation I experience at home. Not a big deal.
You might as well sit in your home for the entire time and mimic the outside environment using modern technology
>>
>>1332733
both london and paris have worse air pollution than LA, you can always tell when somebody doesn't actually know what they're talking about
>>
>>1332744
Cool source bro
>>
>>1332745
spend 2 minutes googling it and learn something. btw where's your source that LA is worse?
>>
>>1332745
https://www.numbeo.com/pollution/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&city1=London&country2=United+States&city2=Los+Angeles%2C+CA

https://www.numbeo.com/pollution/compare_cities.jsp?country1=France&country2=United+States&city1=Paris&city2=Los+Angeles%2C+CA
>>
>>1332744
Los Angeles has over 12x the area of Paris. The fact that they are anywhere near comparable is amazing. That means if you put the emissions of LA into an area the size of Paris it would be several times larger.

And hey, if you think it’s going to be better than Paris for long you’re kidding yourself. Paris is cutting cars from the city center and France has nuclear power.
>>
>>1332171
>all forms of entertainment at your disposal

Why are you watching movies while driving?
>>
>>1332733
Except it's not. Good job believing myths based on 40 year old data.
>>
>>1332711
Are you fucking retarded? Paris and London have Europe's largest transit networks and are dense cities. They still have poor air quality. That's explicitly relevant to what this thread is about.
>>
>>1332748
lol and already you're changing your narrative. how typical. as somebody who has actually lived in both london and paris you come across as pretty uninformed.
>>
>>1332748
That's not how these measurements work you illiterate inbred. They are all based on concentration (i.e. density) 9f pollution, not total amount.
>>
Yes. Walking a bit every day adds several years to your life expectancy.

Add in the effect of less car fatalities and America would start to have a life expectancy on par with 1st-world countries.
>>
>>1332753
Oh I’m sorry, I thought the thread was about life expectancy.
>>
>>1332759
Don't be a dumb fucking cunt. Air pollution is proven to shorten life expectancy.
>>
>>1332153
>be new york
>suck all the funding out of the MTA
>Use signaling systems that are probably a century old
>wonder why your public transport fucking sucks

I swear American's are so fucking retarded when it comes to publicly funded services. They underfund everything so that it runs like shit and then complain that it inexplicably runs like shit, so they privatize it and it runs like shit but not as much.
>>
>>1332760
So are heart disease and car fatalities. 2 of the biggest killers in America, in fact.
>>
>>1332473
If you're trying to make the shitty point that PT would put people in danger because of niggers, if PT was better and more used, it wouldn't just be poor people and schizos.

>>1332153
Because we never even fucking tried to do good PT and when we tried at all, people with a vested interest in the auto industry rallied against it with their money.
Even so, you have to think, sure I could get to Center City faster by driving but what do I do with my car when I get there? Especially if I don't want to get Jewed on a parking garage.

>>1332758
This, too. Under a certain age, car fatalities are a leading cause of death.

>>1332770
Not to mention that building a city around alternative transport does not preclude cars, but the inverse is effectively untrue.
>>
>>1332153
>Even with traffic, commuting by car is faster than transit pretty much everywhere in the US that isn't New York City. And NYC, probably the most ideal location in the US for mass transit, what with its high population density and all, has the worst commute times of every major city.
Consequence of developing your city around cars
>>
>>1332790
most european cities are faster by car too btw
>>
File: 1543883631966.jpg (171 KB, 1018x767)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>1332797
Again, but what do ya do when you get there? Parking garage? Drive around for half an hour until you find a spot half a mile away you can juuuuuuust squeeze into?
Better hope there aren't any parking restriction signs in place.

Now, AGAIN, centering a city around alternative transport does NOT preclude driving, it might just be a little less desirable. The inverse is NOT true and what kind of freedom is that?
>>
>>1332797
And most of them are smaller cities
>>
>>1332804
This. Most commute time statistics don't even take into account parking. So either your workplace offers you a parking spot, or you'll spend a lot of time searching for it, or pay out your ass for a parking garage or parking meter.
>>
>>1332804
America hate thread?
>>
>>1332804
I like left one more. Looks spacious, roomy, comfy.
Right one smells like fucking toilet.
t. European.
>>
>>1332797
In my experience living in England it was not that convenient to own a car except in the poor parts around the northwest. In any kind of nice area (for example Bath) there were even multiple roads blocked off to cars.
My buddy in London had to jump his battery a few times a year because he used his car so little.
>>
>>1332772
Nigger, air pollution has a direct effect on heart disease rates. Read. A. Fucking. Book.
>>
>>1333215
Spinning the autism record again, but the left precludes the right. The right does not preclude the left.
Call me a fucking commie, but I do think it should be a viable option to fucking WALK. Walking along a four-lane 65mph road isn't it, chief.
This isn't a zero sum game.
>>
>>1333215
Seriously why is it only america/canada the only countries where you can walk around without smelling sewage, even in germany there are places that reek
>>
>>1333238
Those countries are huge and sparsely populated. It's a lot easier to put that stuff out of the way so you don't notice it.
>>
>>1333238
Vancouver smells like sewage and piss everywere, m8
>>
>>1333238
Are you retarded or have you never actually been to a North American city, especially in the summer?
>>
>>1333220
>but the left precludes the right. The right does not preclude the left.
Wrong. You can't combine two, so right precludes left too.
>Call me a fucking commie, but I do think it should be a viable option to fucking WALK. Walking along a four-lane 65mph road isn't it, chief.
It prevents poorfags from going far away from their house.
>>
>>1333250
>Wrong. You can't combine two, so right precludes left too.
That's retarded, friend. Unless they root up all roads and the world operates on MUPs, you will be able to drive.
You might not have 50 acres of free entitlement parking and you might have to see someone walking on a sidewalk that actually exists, but you will still always be able to drive.
Don't pretend.

>It prevents poorfags from going far away from their house.
Yeah, it does? It's a backdoor way to prevent you from getting a job as well.
When I was a youngin without a car, with only a state ID, not a driver's license, I was told a bicycle was not a form of reliable transportation and that I wouldn't be getting the job. You're not really in a position to fight that, obviously, if you're applying to shit companies like that, so the legality doesn't matter.
Why are you against people being able to walk the fuck around?
>>
File: coffee guy.jpg (35 KB, 600x600)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>1333250
>You can't combine two

Do you actually believe yourself when you write posts this dumb? In every major city there are bike lanes and sidewalks next to roads where cars and buses drive. And in many of them there are light rail.
>>
>>1333251
>Why are you against people being able to walk the fuck around?
Because walking is overrated. Humans evolved not to walk.
>>
>>1333255
They did though, that's how we got spreaded across the world.
>>
>>1331850
LOL, no.
>>
File: 1355780736594.jpg (31 KB, 601x601)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>1331873
The solution is deportation.
>>
>>1333263
t. failed out of middle school
>>
>>1331863
*.jpg intensifies*
>>
>>1332153
this is bullshit. any given route takes 4x as long by public transit as a car, and that's in a place with decent public transit. carfags tend to live further out and transit users choose responsibly located housing, accounting for the lessened real difference.

anyway you have it backwards, it takes longer by transit because the transit is SHIT. If someone spent 10 hours studying for a french test and 3 minutes studying for a russian test, and then they said "well french seems to be better, look at the difference in grades," that doesn't speak for what language is easier.
>>
>>1333614
How's the weather in Tallahassee today?
>>
How retarded do you have to be to disagree

Obviously less car travel means better health and less drunk driving deaths.
>>
also lead makes them shoot up schools
>>
>>1333635
>>
>>1332704
That has to be some major bullshit. Either the French don't have ""dedicated cycling paths"" as defined by the map makers or they count the "slap some paint on the sidewalk" as such in case of Poland.
Need some more details on this.
>>
>>1334077
I don’t think there are a lot of details.
But the French have a very positive attitude towards urbanism and I feel like they don’t need to dedicate lanes to cyclists, they just accept it.
I don’t think Poland or Germany is more bicycle-friendly, I just think the French don’t make formal bike lanes. It’s possible they don’t need to.
>>
>would reducing the 2 leading causes of death increase life expectancy?

Yeah. Whichever posters say it won't are just lying to themselves.
>>
>>1333215
Your opinion is wrong. Being sourrounded by shitty wooded boxes, fake lawns and asphalt is soul crushing
>>
>>1333614
Really depends on what you consider decent public transit...
>>
>>1331850
>Do you think America would have a higher life expectancy if we were a more pro-transit country?
LOL, no, the spread of illnesses and the stress of being in crowds all the time would create more stress-related illnesses and heart attacks than being in a nice safe comfy car. You're advocating trading one kind of ""'traffic jam""" for another.
>Heart disease and car accidents are two of our leading causes of death.
This has nothing whatsoever to do with transportation, and I have no idea why you're conflating the two issues; do you have an anxiety disorder or something?
Bad diet and lack of exercise have everything to do with heart disease, and ""'transportation""" has *nothing* to do with it. You're barking up the wrong tree, OP. You need >>>/fit/
>>
File: 1542428115020.png (66 KB, 400x400)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
>>1334495
>>
>>1334495
>This has nothing whatsoever to do with transportation, and I have no idea why you're conflating the two issues

Might be the most doublethink post ever on 4chan...
>>
>>1334495
You're going to do a alot less walking in a car dependant suburb vs a place that was built on a human scale. And no, going to the *gym* 2 times a week will not *cut it*. Cars will *always* promote sendetary lifestyles which *cause* heart disease diabetes etc. People think you're weird or get scared when people see you just walking in some suburbs. Imagine living like that
>>
>>1334495
>car accidents have nothing to do with transportation

How do you /pol/tards get this stupid?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.