[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 57 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: _20190514_145243.jpg (339 KB, 1181x663)
339 KB
339 KB JPG
Why do you hate gravel bikes so much?
they are Incredibly fun to ride and get pretty fast
>>
>>1331354
They’re the SUV of bikes, LARPing boomer mentality on two wheels
>>
>>1331357
What road bikes have fender and rack mount options?
>>
>>1331359
Trek520 comes with racks and lots of mounting options. I've got fenders on mine, I like it a lot. Not many road bikes come with these optioms, you need to choose a tourer or gravel bike...
>>
>>1331354
they’re disliked because they’re popular, and /n/ readers want to be above that
>>
>>1331357
>They’re the SUV of bikes
pretty much this
>>
>>1331357
I saw a middle-aged guy on one a few days ago riding down the street towards the MUP, which is also paved. On the corner is a gravel parking lot. He cut across the gravel to get to the path and you could see him get all excited.
>I'm using my gravel bike on gravel!
He realistically spent a total of 5 whole seconds cutting through the lot.
>>
>>1331397
based
>>
>>1331369
>Trek 520
>31.44 lbs
I want to commute to work in all weather, year round in the mid Atlantic United States, not go innawoods for a week.
>>
>>1331354
the colour palette from your bike and the bottle is atrocious. the spokes sticks also add extra faggyness
>>
>>1331354
Thats one tilted saddle
>>
>>1331423
>the spokes sticks also add extra faggyness
Dont hate on those, they are a good option if you dont want to use those huge orange shits that the bike comes with. Some countries have laws that you need them and cops are allowed to stop you and give you a ticket just because you have none.
>>
>>1331354

/n/ doesn't hate gravel bikes, they hate fixies, flat bar road bikes and walmart mountain bikes.
>>
>>1331359
most entry level and endurance models
>>
>>1331354
Those are less offroad suited than cx bikes and therefor pretty much pointless. "Gravel" bikes are just another cashgrab by the bike industry aimed at weekend warrior roadies that mostly just want a relaxed geometrie and lots of tyre clearance so they can cruise around when they ride their bike once in a while.

I don't get why they became so popular all of a sudden when we already had cyclocross for many years but that's the bike industrie's marketing I guess.

But if you're having fun on your gravel bike, by all means enjoy it OP
>>
>>1331455
What is the difference between gravel and xc?
>>
>>1331455
a pure cx bike doesn't have much clearance beyond 33mm which is what you race cx on

it doesn't have particularly wide gearing
the typical cx 46-36 crank isn't nearly as useful as a 50/34 road compact or a 46/30 subcompact that you generally get on a gravel bike.

it doesn't have rack and fender mounts either
>>
File: iced.webm (2.18 MB, 1280x720)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB WEBM
>>1331354
wise /n/ posters reject 'inauthentic' trends and the posers who adopt them. /n/iggers are truly authentic and individualistic cyclists and other cyclists are just pathetic sheep who are doing it all wrong and probably aren't even that fast.
>>
>>1331354
>>1331357
I bought a gravel back, put a 50/34 crank on it and 42c slicks, slammed the stem and took off riding. I now have a road bike that's nearly as fast as any other road bike but with more cushy tires, more spokes and the ability to cut through grass and ride down city steps.

Not everyone who buys a gravel bike is trying to reinvent the mountain bike or "LARP" on an SUV.
>>
>>1331449
A have a flat bar road bike, what's wrong with it?
>>
>>1331554
well, nothing, these days it's impolite to call out faggotry where it lives because we live now in babylon, city of sodomy and sin
>>
File: lee.jpg (45 KB, 620x620)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>1331405
and you've deducted that every gravel user just rides gravel for 5 seconds?
>>
>>1331554
it makes you a pleb that settles for something that's just okay.
>>
>>1331562
no, it was just a funny anecdote.
>>
>>1331588
>it was just a funny
Really wasn't
>>
File: NIK8KVZ.jpg (40 KB, 700x466)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>1331354
>why do i hate gravel bikes ?

because people are doing very uncomfortably on 6k gravel bike what they used to very comfily do on 2k hardtail XC bike !!!

Carbon Dualies got super light and fast even uphills and the conventional XC hardtail became seriously uncool. With a piece of the market dead the big bike manufacturers banged there heads together and forced the overpriced gravel meme on everyone and profitied by convincing Freds to get a third bike. FACT.
>>
>>1331588
I thought it was funny anon don’t worry
>>
>>1331465
DELET THIS
>>
>>1331459
ones a race and ones a group ride with a $200 entry fee.
>>
>>1331623
KISS
I
S
S

MY
Y

ASS
S
S
>>
>>1331465
>la creatura
>>
>>1331354
I agree, my hybrid IS fun to ride and pretty fast.
>>
>>1331554
I have a 2012 Cannondale Quick. It’s fine for spinning around the neighborhood with my girlfriend or loaning out as a buddy bike, but I feel like the geometry and flat bars drop my average mph a bit. Generally get faster runs on my old steel frame road bikes, Motobecane Super Mirage or Schwinn World Sport. Can ride in the drop position and just better gearing for all around shredding than the hybrid. I’d probably be more pumped about the Quick if I lived in a more urban environment.
>>
>>1332589
Because of reduced aero supposedly? Have you tried equipping it with bar ends and tweaking handlebar height? Bar ends essentially give you 2 out of 3 hand positions of a drop bar, provided it's narrow enough (560-600mm)
>>
>>1332629
Ya know I’ve never really thought to put bar ends on or drop the height. Mostly road ride for MTB or dirt bike fitness and the Quick is what I usually take out when traffic is heavy due to the more upright position. It’s a fun ride nonetheless.
>>
>>1331354
Maybe they don't live in the right location. Where I live there are literally miles and miles of single track to hard pack gravel and some of the best road riding in the world. It's fun to just have one bike that can kind of do it all, but not make the day super miserable in any way.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (181 KB, 1280x720)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>1331354
what about monster cross? wouldn't it be more badass to get old XC, slap rigid fork, fast tires, and drop bars?

I've been eyeballing a gravel bike for next bike but I think I'll just find an old XC frame to build
>>
Don't see what the problem is. I have lots of gravel roads and tracks near where I live in Scotland. I prefer to be away from the noise of traffic and in the woods. I don't like going downhill and I like to carry a lot of stuff so I can go camping. Why do people have a problem with this?
>>
Gravel bikes with wide slicks are the ultimate commuters. My current commuter was specifically marketed as a gravel bike when I bought it 2-3 years ago. Having a look more recently though most places that offer cycle scheme (a subsidised bike purchase scheme for employees) have switched to 'cyclo-cross' branding. Still the same relaxed geom and gorillians of mount points for fenders and racks making them totally inappropriate for actual cx.

Calling them gravel bikes was kinda dumb as a hardtail mtb/enduro bike is a thousand times better for actual gravel riding. If anything a gravel bike is closer to a modern day update to the classic touring bike format but if you called them that you'd get the retrogrouches foaming at the mouth and a scathing article from the Radavist...
>>
File: IMG_1797 (Custom).jpg (1.22 MB, 3000x2000)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>1334610
they used to be called 'sport touring' but the industry killed the word 'sport' by calling all their cheap stuff that and making it mean 'low end'
>>
I guess the problem people have with gravel bikes is that they're just rebranded 90s rigid MTBs and clueless dentists are flocking to them just because they're the "new" hot shit
Nothing wrong with the bikes themselves but the bandwagonning around them, I guess.
>>
>>1334621
>they're just rebranded 90s rigid MTBs

Except they have different
>frame geometry
>wheel size
>tire width
>gearing
>handlebar shape
>brake design

Other than that, they are exactly the same!
>>
>>1334635
Whatever helps you through the night bud
>>
>>1334610
>enduro bike is a thousand times better for actual gravel riding
u fuckin wot m8
>>
>gravel bikes
You mean drop bar hybrids?
>>
>>1334664
No, he meant endurance road bikes
>>
>>1334667
But that's what I said?
>>
>>1334664
>>1334667
Are you guys talking about sport touring bikes?
>>
>>1331354
>thicker tires for better grip and comfort
>lower gears to help with hills
the sanic fast crowd must not like this
>>
>>1334692
>heavier rotational mass
>spinning out down slight gradients
They are good for their intended purpose, but are not replacements for road bikes unless you are weak.
>>
>>1334692
>I need a lightbulbed out fat tire so I don't fall down, who cares if my bike's handling is completely fucked, it LOOKS like it has better grip and that's what matters!

t. rides a full suspension MTB because he saw a pothole once
>>
File: scott3.jpg (649 KB, 1280x853)
649 KB
649 KB JPG
>>1334743
It broke this february, after three years of abuse. I miss it :(
>>
File: boner fuel.jpg (110 KB, 600x337)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>1334805
Looks like a pretty sweet bike. a true hybrid.

>go to scott website as I completely forgot about the brand
>the road bike is called the Addict
>the carbon aero road bike is called the Foil
>the aero tt bike is called the Plasma

Jesus Scott why did you hire a bunch of Junkies to name your bikes?!?!

>buy awesome new 3000 dollar bike, the Addict, look like Fred Yates, the third Yates brother.
>it is stolen by a real Addict who can chase the dragon on Foil and can fence your bike and not have to sell Plasma.

Finally found a model name worse than Pinarello Dogma.
>>
They are great for commuting or touring as long as you replace the tires with large slicks. They are pretty much just a new iteration of the old French randonneuse. For me the main draw is having eyelets for mudguards and racks which have become very rare for road bikes.
>>
>>1334805
>suspension that saps energy but offers better traction on rough terrain
>thin tires that would make it faster on smooth roads but make it absolutely useless on rough terrain
Y?
>>
>>1334831
In essence - because roads here are, lets put it this way, less then ideal. Since I often ride after dark, and am half-blind, hitting something at ~30km/h was not fun. So I brute forced the issue.

In the end I've gotten a very capable 'gravel' bike ( before it was cool :P ) and something that felt like riding on a cloud over rough roads and high-speed turns. Running over railtracks at 40km/h like they were not there was fun as hell. And there was no noticable speed loss. Actually, my usual gearing setup was, for some reason, too low.

Great bike. I miss it.
>>
>>1334840
I don't mind this post, but normally you're really annoying.
>>
I have a Specialized Diverge. I put a rack on it, 30mm gravel tires and I use it as a lightweight "gravel" "touring" bike. What did I mean by this?
>>
>>1334805
This is one of the strangest bikes I have ever seen. I love it.
>>
guys
it's all just machines on two wheels, who cares. I got a hardtail MTB with an air fork that I ride exclusively locked up, on slick tires, on road. Chill, life is short
>>
File: IMG_20190509_083448.jpg (1.54 MB, 3078x2338)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
>>1334887
Damn I meant to post my own shit-road-blaster to see if they could be friends, here it is
>>
Literally just a road bike with bigger tyres.
>a new type of bike
>my god this is so cool, why did nobody think of this before
>i can go on road and off road on the same bike? OMG

As for being fun to ride, you've obviously never ridden a proper mtb down a mountain path if you think a road bike on a few pieces of rock is fun.

There is nothing wrong with the bikes per say, it's the marketing idiots that make things up to suck more money out of naive people who don't understand that if you put bigger tyres on just a road bike, you can go off road with it more than you could before.
>>
>>1335131
They also have higher BBs, generally a fuckton of braze-ons, and more tire clearance, yet more fun than true touring bikes.

I agree with you that the marketing is mostly nonsense, but there are meme bikes of every category for people with the money to drop.

Why people like you get all butthurt about people with plenty of money driving the bike industry's technology forwards is a mystery to me.
>>
>>1334521
Do it!
>>
>>1335142
>small bike
>bars higher than saddle
>long ass reach
I'm all for 90s rigid w/drops but this just looks uncomfortable as hell
>>
>>1331455

The only objective advantage CX bikes have over gravel bikes for offroading is the higher bottom bracket. Other than that, they handle worse at higher speeds.
>>
>>1335254
A gravel bike is better off-road than a modern mountain bike? Maybe in Kansas. Have you ever turned or ridden down a hill?
>>
>>1335265
Do you know what CX is, little dog?
>>
File: inmud.jpg (422 KB, 1500x1125)
422 KB
422 KB JPG
>>1331354
Speaking of gravel bikes. This happend today, when I was riding back from work. There was a proper 10 inches/25cm of thick mud there. I, literally, got thrown out of the bike. I wonder if I would go through on a proper mtb.
>>
>>1335664
Because of the more relaxed geometry on a mtb you could probably hold on to the bike, but it would still sink and get stuck unless you have a lot of entry speed. To be able to simply pedal over it I guess you'd need a fat bike.
>>
>>1335664
>>1335672
I'm not sure if even a fattie would make it through that. Fattie needs to pretty much float on top of whatever it's going through. If it sinks it becomes a bitch to pedal.
>>
>>1335664
You should go on 23c and slice through
>>
>>1335677
Seems like a cool idea until you
> hit a hidden rock on the bottom of the puddle
> taco the front wheel and fall in mud
>>
File: 1986Gitane.jpg (363 KB, 1174x1600)
363 KB
363 KB JPG
>>1331354
The concept itself is pure marketing, here in France from the 60 to the 90 (before the MTB rise) we had "randonneuse" bikes (road frames + panniers racks,fenders, with either 650B or 700 larger tyres (32mm) for countryside or urban roads. Gitane/Peugot and local manufacturers build these somwhat affordable/robust and polyvalant bikes that were dominant for a long time due to their qualities. I daily ride a gitane 1986 2x5 speeds, panniers and fenders with marathons 32mm tyres. Why spend a lot on a meme gravel bike when you can buy a robust and inexpensive bike (i spend like 100€ max on mine) ?
>>
>>1335730
dont get meme carbon wheels then. idk how you are riding it if any of that happens just because you hit some small rock
>>
>>1335136
>They also have higher BB

This is wrong. Their BBs are often very low. This is the main difference with CX bikes.
There is no set rule but often:
CX = BB drop<65mm
Road = BB drop =70mm
Gravel/adventure/touring = BB drop>75mm
>>
>>1335265
XC =/= CX
>>
>>1336340
Because it's the same marvelous bike you're describing, but modern.
>>
>>1336340

Gravel bikes are essentially road bikes with bigger tires, disc brakes, clearance for bigger tires and sometimes added suspension to seat, fork or handlebars.
>>
>>1336605
The newer ones have slacker headtube angles and a more upright ride, even by endurance road standards. Dropper posts are becoming more common, too. Most of the organized grabbel rides I'm seeing here in the PNW are more like babby's first XC ride with some pointless tarmac thrown in, to the point where a good hardtail (or full sus with rear lockout) with semislick 2" tubeless tires is going to be the best choice for the ride.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.