[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 32 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: subway_2700x3314.jpg (2.44 MB, 2700x3314)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
How to fix the New York Subways
>Add a ring line
>reduce stations by half--currently some lines have stations every two blocks, that's too many stops
>remove redundant lines like the F or the 1--riders can just walk a few blocks to parallel lines
>add trolley-service to complement the subways
>expand stations and strictly enforce tickets
>fare based on travel length
Your welcome
>>
File: 103-insolite-01.jpg (50 KB, 611x610)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>people buy tickets for the NYC subway
You've never actually been within 1000 miles of NYC, have you
>>
>>1331308
I live in Bensonhurst faggot. 99% of the people buy tickets, it's the 1% of homeless mentally-ill faggots who beg for swipes.
>>
>>1331309
>Bensonhurst
A neighborhood of Staten Island that was accidentally given a Brooklyn zip code by the USPS? No surprise you don't know what a metrocard is.
>>
>>1331310
>metrocard is not a ticket
Go back to Idaho or whatever the flyover piece of shit state you came from.
>>
>>1331311
Correct, a metrocard is rechargeable and most actual humans do monthly unlimited. Single ride is for invaders from cagerland like you.
>>
>>1331312
What the fuck is even your point? Are you sperging out over the >enforce tickets idea because I can just reword it as >enforce tickets and metrocard.
>>
>>1331313
If you want to LARP as a local you should use the local terminology and not made up phrases that nobody understands. Local humans all say "fare evasion" and "turnstile jumping". Not "unenforced tickets", "vanderbilt flimble-flambling", or whatever weird ass 19th century slang you people use on Staten Island.

Also if you actually used the MTA to get around and not uber/chicken buses/whatever the fuck they use in outer Brooklyn, you'd understand that distance based fares would fuck over people like you. Which I suppose is the whole point. You're like those NIMBYists who railed against the Utica Avenue extension, "waah it might bring people who aren't from around here into muhhhh parrrrking spaaace".
>>
>>1331318
Look call it what you want, all I want is for people to pay their fair share.
>>
>>1331326
Subways should be paid by taxes, not fares. Fares for public transit is a pro-cage policy.
>>
>>1331333
Ok, fine, subways should be paid by per capita metrocard tax, to be supplemented by further use tax based on how many miles you ride. I don't give a shit how you call it.
>>
>>1331306
Flood them
>>
>>1331335
>to be supplemented by further use tax based on how many miles you ride
That's a fare. There shouldn't be any turnstile or checkpoint on public transit.
Public means by the people, for the people. Economically, that means paid by taxes. For example, in every part of the US I've been in, public libraries charge no fees. If you live in the area they serve, your taxes go to the library, and your library card is then-after gratis. People who choose to live in the areas NYC transit serves should experience the same ease of use.
>>
File: We Wuz MTA n Sheet.jpg (1.77 MB, 4000x5000)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB JPG
>>1331306
Look at this suburban pleb larping like he knows shit.

t.HYPER mta autist
>>
dis nigga finna be dabbed on
>>
>>1331361
ad homs only tell me my arguments are winning, faggot.
>>
Thread derailed by autists. Better just delet and repost, fren.
>>
>>1331372
woah this fucker who hasn't used the mta in like 20 years is trying to suggest improvements to a system he never uses. hmmmmmm
>>
>>1331306
>Add a ring line
Why?
>reduce stations by half--currently some lines have stations every two blocks, that's too many stops
No, not everyone has the
>remove redundant lines like the F or the 1--riders can just walk a few blocks to parallel lines
wew, looks live you have never been to Brooklyn during rush hour
Where? There is no space in manhattan for that shit. The MTA should worry about fixing stations outside of manhattan and work on having trains come on time
You just said you wanted to reduce stations, Im confused. The NYPD has better shit to do like choke people out and shooting minorities.
This would fuck over anyone living outside of manhattan, that includes (you)

t.Manhattan Yuppie Scum
>>
>>1331377
Reduce station numbers and frequencies, but enlarge the stations that are chosen to remain.
Ring line is important so it allows for easier Bronx-Queens-Brooklyn transit that doesn't involve a detour into the busiest part of the city, aka Midtown Manhattan.
I don't give a shit if people are too precious to want to walk 4 blocks to a subway stop. Having a stop every 2 blocks is a waste and slows down trains.
>>
Tokyo Subway has ridership of 9 million per day and 189 miles of tracks. NYC subway has ridership of 5 mil per day and 245 miles of tracks. NYC subway is bloated and wasteful. Having more tracks is not how to reduce train-crowding. You need larger and more frequent trains.
>>
File: six_fucking_lanes.jpg (229 KB, 1200x800)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
>>1331377
>>add trolley-service to complement the subways
>Where? There is no space in manhattan for that shit.
>>
>>1331377
>Where? There is no space in manhattan for that shit. The MTA should worry about fixing stations outside of manhattan and work on having trains come on time
Manhattan doesn't need trolleys, it takes 5 minutes to go from the Hudson to East River. It's the outer three boroughs that need trolleys.
>>
>>1331394
NYC has a lot of wide streets. Look at your pic, there are 4 lanes just for cars, then 2 bus lanes.
>>
>>1331393
Larger trains would require longer stations.
>>1331394
No space, I take it you have never step foot in NYC or Manhattan. Getting bike lanes installed was like pulling teeth, Besides a trolley service would be redundant and cause more congestion. Expanding the water taxi service would ease congestion in Manhattan.
>>
>>1331402
Not all the streets are this wide, most are relatively narrow and filed to the brim with cages.
>>
>>1331478
>No space, I take it you have never step foot in NYC or Manhattan
Trolleys are for Queens and Brooklyn.
>>
>>1331306
>F, 1
>redundant
You've never ridden the subway have you?
>>
File: 1452699229332.jpg (90 KB, 500x667)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>1331335
>Ok, fine, subways should be paid by per capita metrocard tax
>>
A good idea would to build a subway connection to Staten Island!!!
>>
>>1331537
staten island needs to be nuked from orbit
>>
>>1331478
>no space
because you are accepting that you need half the road space for cages which is bullshit
>>
>>1331308
S_oy deer.
>>
>>1331306
>>Add a ring line
But where though?
How about building subways to New Jersey and extending the lines to the Bronx first?
>>reduce stations by half--currently some lines have stations every two blocks, that's too many stops
>>remove redundant lines like the F or the 1--riders can just walk a few blocks to parallel lines
Yeah no. That's a big yikes from me
>>add trolley-service to complement the subways
Excellent suggestion
>>expand stations and strictly enforce tickets
>>fare based on travel length
No to both of those. Like >>1331341 said, public transport should be free to use for everybody. It should be financed by taxes.
>>1331478
>>1331479
Hmm. I really wonder if trams could make more efficient use of the limited available space in NYC than millions of cars, taxis and ubers.
>>
>>1331555
cringe. staten island is unironically the best borough in that shithole that dares to call itself big apple
>>
>>1331394
There are two bus lanes in that picture; do you really think trolleys enough of an improvement over buses to be worth doing?

And all cities need roads for trucks to deliver goods in, and trucks to haul trash out. You aren't putting trash on a tram. Since those roads exist, might as well let taxis, ubers, and private drivers use them too.
>>
>>1331306
Privatize then again so that the stations under construction in the 1930’s can get finished.
>>
>>1332002
hahaha what
>>
>>1332150
>There are two bus lanes in that picture; do you really think trolleys enough of an improvement over buses to be worth doing?
Yes.
Trams are much cheaper to operate than busses. The initial cost of laying down tracks and other infrastructure can be brought back in quickly because of the high demand in the NY metropolitan area.
Trams can carry up to four times as many people as a bus. They're emission-free at least for the area of operation and much more energy-efficient than busses. Sounds like they're the perfect deal for both Manhattan and the other boroughs.
>>
>>1332227
Also trams offer a far superior ride experience to buses. Can't say for American roads but the ride quality of steel wheel + steel track is a much better experience than rubber tyre + road. More casual riders would also be willing to take a tram because they are judged to be more "permanent" and reliable.

Trams are also much better at taking out cars that refuse to give way.
>>
>>1332150
>You aren't putting trash on a tram
We should, though. Mail, too.
The problem with trams is that they can get stuck in traffic just as much as a bus can, if not worse.
>>
>>1332227
>>1332241
Also a tram favours a ROW in the middle of the road (a BRT would too, but it would just use the same space for less capacity and worse economy), which makes it faster than bus lanes on the side of the road, which constantly get obstructed by parked cars, turning cars, construction work, etc.
>>
I have better solution. Nuke NYC and replace it with suburbs
>>
>>1332252
low quality post
>>
Kill Cuomo in a drone strike so that the state government won't keep fucking over MTA.

Then probably try to push headways down to like sixty seconds the way the Hong Kong metro did.
>>
>>1331306
Add an outter borough line, fuck Manhattan. Pic related.
>>
>>1332329
That somhow makes sense
>>
>>1332337
It could even stop at LaGuardia, which would be amazing since there's no AirTrain there. It could even stop at Rikers Island, since the jail is gonna be replaced by high-end real estate. It serves a huge chunk of Brooklyn that has no nearby trains. It give the Bronx much better access to both airports. This needs to happen, but would never ever ever.
>>
>>1331392
>Ring line is important so it allows for easier Bronx-Queens-Brooklyn transit that doesn't involve a detour into the busiest part of the city
How many people would take this? Sure I wished for this when I lived in the Bronx and went to visit my friends in brooklyn, but realistically how many people would ride it regularly?
>>
>>1332329
Why didn't you connect it with the top of the 1?
>>
>>1335063
I don't think you have any idea how many poor cagers at the edges of the subway use cages to get from home to their shitty retail job because the subway is useless for people who don't work in manhattan between battery park and 59th street
>>
File: new_york_roads.png (316 KB, 744x586)
316 KB
316 KB PNG
>>1335063
Someone must be going in that direction, there's not one but two massive fucking highways for it.
>>
>>1331306
>How to fix the New York Subways
Atom bomb or mass deportations.
>>
>>1331333
>Subways should be paid by taxes,
Well fuck you too.
>>
>>1331306
>Add a ring line
ok
fine as long as nobody has to walk more than 2 long edges
there are homeless people who already do this without a salary
expand stations or reduce stations? Pick one. Also no tickets
lmao why?
>>
>>1332282
Wrong.
Nuking NYC is an idea of the highest quality.
>>
>>1332329
>>1335234
This is actually an excellent idea. No idea why it hasn't been done yet. It would also do a lot to even out the importance of Manhattan compared to the other boroughs.
>>1335288
>>1335290
Wow, two extremely low quality posts, exactly 60 seconds apart. Really makes me think
>>
>>1335234
Those highways also connect Long Island to the mainland
>>
>>1335502
There's already highways connecting Long Island to the mainland via Manhattan,those others are redundant I take it.
>>
>>1335505
The tunnels connecting manhattan to NJ are only effective for traveling south or west. The George Washington Bridge too, but if you’re coming from Long Island you’ll probably go trough the Bronx to get there. Those highways connecting Long Island and the Bronx enable travel further north, not just for people coming and going from Long Island to elsewhere but also people upstate getting to the NY airports
>>
REMOVE CAGY NOW
>>
>>1335506
>Those highways connecting Long Island and the Bronx enable travel further north
So people DO want to travel north from Long Island, not just to Manhattan. Thanks for proving the point that the line proposed by anon makes perfect sense.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.