[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 49 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Would you buy a bike from a LBS with a "no test ride" policy?

On the one hand it's fair that they don't want people to just try shit and then order it online for cheaper.

On the other hand, since they have eliminated the reason for me to go to the LBS, why shouldn't I just order it online for cheaper?

>maybe they will fix your flats

But I can already do that, why would I go to the LBS for something so stupid?
>>
>>1330090
For the kind of bikes I'd be interested in, they'd better damned well let me ride it for a few hours before shelling out that kind of money, but that being said I don't know of any shop around where I live that sells bikes I'd be interested in owning that *doesn't* have 'demo' bikes and, assuming you have enough identification to show them to reassure them you're not just going to ride off with the thing and never come back, won't let someone seriously interested in buying ride the demo bike for a few hours first. Can't really see why it would be any different for cheaper bikes.
Of course if you walk into a bike shop and you don't even look like you can afford to actually buy anything, or you can't show that you can afford to buy what you're interested in, then why should they be bothered? It's just risk with no benefit to them.
>>
>>1330090
>LBS=Lesbian Bike Shop

No thanks, anon.
>>
>>1330097
>ride it for a few hours
Are you just being hypothetical or is that actually acceptable? One of the shops I went to was like "ride as long as you like" so I took that to mean a few loops around the area, 15 minutes or so. I decided it was too much of an old man upright despite being light and decently spec'd out for the money, and while I'm old I'm not THAT old and certainly have no aspirations to be slow and "compliant", so I didn't buy it although I'm sure I'd have gotten along alright with it in the end.

>you can't show that you can afford to buy what you're interested in
Again, I get that they don't want to spend time on someone who actually thinks several thousand dollars is a big purchase and isn't something you just buy because you liked the color or "I heard Lance rides this kind", but I'm not talking about getting profiled, I mean like, literally the shop has an official long standing no rides policy that they are specifically known for. Also stuff they have in the warehouse they will ship to the store so you can look at it, but they won't build it unless you've actually bought it.
>>
File: giphy.gif (499 KB, 500x270)
499 KB
499 KB GIF
>>1330099
What's wrong with lesbian bike shops?
>>
>>1330090
I doubt I will ever lace a wheel, bleed hydros, or mess with geared hubs. I could figure it out, but those are ‘shop jobs’ for me. Not my thing, but they have this adjustable road frame thing to try out a perfect fit; good luck getting that online! They sell tires, tubes, pads, grips, and other consumable stuff better than online can. They’re a cool bunch to hang out with, and do group rides and stuff. I’m not competitive or have friends who ride, so that’s valuable. My next bike will probably be online, but the LBS still pulls it’s weight.

Scuba, climbing, and other gear intensive sports face the same issue. Retail is dead, but service matters all the more.
>>
>>1330090
Absolutely not. I do trust the shop but i do not trust the ride itself. I've taken a bike on a ride while i've had my ride fixed, although they were comprable rides (A custom surly with awesome shifters VS salsa marrakesh)

if a shop doesn't give me free shit for being a high bike poweruser it's probably not worth my time. Any real shop will give me freebies like service because they know i will have cash, pay upfront, and work on my bike.

Hell, if they don't offer a bike delivery discount i fuck right off
>>
>>1330112
I wouldn't have issue with that one, it's just most of the time the lesbians don't even come close to looking half as good as that.
>>
>>1330120
Do you get upset when straight people aren't attractive?
>>
>>1330124
YES
>>
>>1330124
Absolutely. I'd walk into your place of business, look at your ugly mug, and Xbox360 the fuck out of there.
>>
>>1330127
Same here. Uggos suck. But I don't think you're the same person I posed the question to.

>>1330128
Good luck with that, I'm in an office behind several security guards and you can't even get off the elevator without a badge.
>>
>>1330133
>Good luck with that, I'm in an office behind several security guards and you can't even get off the elevator without a badge.
The security isn't for you, it's for the general public
>>
>>1330133
>security guards

lol
>>
>>1330133
What are the security guards securing? Your anus?
>>
>>1330138
The data that would be used to presumably commit insider trading or some other financial crimes if it was somehow removed from the even more locked down server racks and decrypted.
>>
>>1330142
It's crazy how much shit janitors have access to. Luckily there's the law to keep you riff raff in line.
>>
>>1330145
>the janitors have access to the server racks
Blue collar people have the weirdest ideas about the real world.
>>
>>1330090
I would if there was something I knew I wanted at a steep discount
>>
>>1330147
>janitors DONT have access to the server racks, along with the rest of the building.
Whitr collar people have the weirdest ideas about the real world.
>>
>>1330133
>>1330170
>implying that I couldn't throw my dominos jacket on and grab q 5 dollar pizza, spoof the order name to be to the CEO and walk right the fuck into your office to take a shit on your desk, install a rootkit, and hit on the secretary on the way out
>implying the security guards wouldn't high five me on the way out if I passed them some parmesan bites
>implying I wouldnt bang your hottest secretary
>implying I wouldn't pwn your entire company

You fucking yuppie scum have no idea how the world really works.
>>
>>1330108
I'd flat out tell them "If you expect me to shell out $thousands for a bike you'd better be prepared to either let me ride that model for a few hours first, or have a full refund return policy if I decide I don't like it. You can charge me a 'rental fee' if you really want to but if you really expect me to potentially get stuck with a bike I won't want to ride then I guess I'm going somewhere else."
>>
>One LBS only carries Bontrager shoes / clothing
>Other only carries Specialized
Bike shops in Canada suck. 2-3 wholesalers control the entire market applying an obscene markup, so shops end up becoming either Specialized or Trek's bitch for higher margins.
>>
>>1330108
If I'm buying a bike worth thousands you bet your ass I'm going to take one out for at least a century before making the decision. The last time I was buying a bike I rented the model I was interested in for 2 days while in Mallorca to test ride it.
>>
>>1330090
>pic
sheldonbrown.com
parktool.com

>Would you buy a bike from a LBS with a "no test ride" policy?
No, even though I don't actually do test rides, and I think test rides are stupid and I don't buy from shops. Test rides are dumb because the fit isn't dialed in, all they do is adjust seat height. Chances are you won't get your pedals on, the stem length or height or bar angle adjusted, tires will be pumped up to max and you'll be riding on whatever shitty OEM tires come with the bike.

The reason why not is because they're not giving me any reasons to buy from them.

>On the one hand it's fair that they don't want people to just try shit and then order it online for cheaper.
There are lots of brands that are dealer exclusive and they could always demand a nonrefundable deposit in the form of store credit to test ride first.

>On the other hand, since they have eliminated the reason for me to go to the LBS, why shouldn't I just order it online for cheaper?
Exactly.
>>
>the internet won't fix your bike

Fuck you the internet taught me how and sold me the tools
>>
>>1330264
Blacksmith Cycle in Toronto is balleur, and Bicicletta in Vancouver is cool. But yeah finding a LBS that carries interesting bicycles and has owners who know their shit is rare.

Anyway I guess I would buy a bike without test riding it first, because I took the custompill.
>>
>>1330112
withdrawing the tongue

Fucking LAME.
>>
>>1330090
No, I wouldn't buy a bike I can't test.
To buy something, I need to know what the fuck I'm dealing with and if it fits me.
If I can't test it, buying the bike online with a minimum 14-day no questions asked return policy for less money seems to be the better option.
They could charge a test ride fee and discount the bike by the amount if you buy it.
All these videos from Park Toold and GCN helped me a lot.

If your shop us more expensive than ordering online and has nothing else to offer, it deserves to die.
>>
>>1330170
>>1330173
>access controls are a mystery
Stuff bottom rung employees think

>>1330188
The way you phrase that sounds like some 4chan argument you had in your head, let me guess everybody clapped?

>>1330276
> I rented the model I was interested in for 2 days while in Mallorca to test ride it.
Well yes, but Canyon isn't available at any LBS, I mean like a normal test ride, from a bike sold through traditional channels, not renting a bike from "The Canyon Experience".
>>
>>1330313
It was from one of the million bike rental places in the island and not the Canyon rental base. But I would do the same even when buying a bike from a local store. If you can't take a bike for a century/weekend to test it I wouldn't buy a bike from the store.
>>
Are there actually LBSes that have a no test ride policy? I've never heard of it.
>>
>>1330196
T. Irate lesbian shop owner
>>
>>1330118
good riddance. you’re probably the cunt that rolls in with a daytona on your wrist that refuses to settle for anything less than a 75% discount on any item that costs over $1.35.
>>
>>1330173
you sounds delusional, no wonder your a fucking failure.
>>
>>1330112
irl lesniaks are perma-PMSing fat uggos and usually smell like rotting cheese
>>
>>1330681
not even that guy but calm down it's clearly a joke
>>
File: 1165144783018.jpg (50 KB, 655x543)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>1330769
the internet is srz bzns only u fagnt
>>
>>1330090
I buy my bikes online
>>
>>1330090
>Young woman in full make-up doing something that requires competency that comes from years of experience and autistic intrest.

It's not impossible, I guess, but highly unlikely. Of all the people I know, mechanics are men in 99% of cases. Thus whomever made this ad, tries to manipulate me by invoking the implicit moral authority of women.

0/10, would not LBS. Also, next time I expect a skinny 50 year old dude with hands caked in grease.
>>
>>1330784
I've never met a woman who can even change a goddamn flat.
>>
>>1330392
I know there are some that do a shitty job of not demanding some sort of deposit because I've seen bikes witch scratched up brifters that have obviously been crashed on the showroom floor being sold at MSRP.
>>
>>1330784
https://youtu.be/58STtUM-Wow?t=153
This is what I think of when someone says LBS, and I would trust this dude to fix my bike any day.
>>
>>1330090
why respect bike shops when my second hand tools can do anything they can
>>
>>1330785
I've never talked to a woman ever.
>>
>>1330817
I've never seen a woman. Do they exist? Have they ever existed?
>>
>>1330712
What language is this?
>>1330809
In my experience there's that guy managing the shop floor and a bunch of high school age kids who are given the easy tasks.
>>
>>1330784
its really not that hard to do most things on the bikes. if you have enough skills to ride the bike then you can do basic things like change the tires too.
>>
>>1330836
>What language is this?
/pol/ish
>>
>>1330784
>it takes years of experience to size a chain
>>
>not owning every single extremely specialized tool for bike wrenching
its like you don't even WANT to have a pegboard wall with $15,000 worth of Pedro's on it
>>
>>1330822
What is sex?
>>
File: 1521823257544.jpg (12 KB, 217x407)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>1330090
AHEM

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXWBBaEdFtbInJIh9tjZPFn2guv-A2_JT
>>
>>1330090
I wouldn't buy a bike without test riding it in general
>>
Wait, people actually go to a shop to get their flats changed?
>>
>>1333199
I’ve done it a time or two. I have puncture resistant tires and don’t carry a kit, so when I do have a rare problem I’m screwed. If there’s a bike shop close by, that’s money well spent. I swap winters and summers twice every year though, so I’m hardly unfamiliar with the process.
>>
>>1333199
Every single person that doesn't ride regularly does. Here in germany that's 99/100 people. If you only do like 100 or 200 km a year you hardly ever get a flat so people don't even think about being prepared for that. Thus they don't know that a tube and some tyre leavers maybe 10€ online and that includes shipping.

Fixing everything yourself is much cheaper in the long run and more importantly it's usually faster too. There are hardly any bike shops in my area that have road bike consumerables or any road bike parts in general. They are set on hybrid / some MTB and well 99% ebike stuff these days so they'd have to order whatever part I need, install it (which takes a long time because they have a billion ebikes to do maint. on 24/7) and then I have to pay 3-5 times the price of the item and necessary tools. Fuck that

Everything on a bike is super easy to install, fix, replace and set up. There are tutorials for everything and they are usually less than 5 minutes long. Only wheel building is a bit more tricky since it requires some decent and rather expensive (compaired to the usual bike tools) tools if you want to do it well.
>>
>>1330090
Lol i already have everything i need to repare a bike at home and i also have the knowledge. I think that the only things I can't do are retapping and welding.

So fuck my local bike shops with their 5€ tubes, they can go eat shit and dye.
>>
>>1330784
Is this what autism looks like ?

Fixing bikes is easy most of the time. Especially in bike shops where then tend to just make you buy the new piece and swap it with the "broken" one instead of reparing the broken piece.

> tries to manipulate me by invoking the implicit moral authority of women.
Attractive people sells more, sex also sells.They're not using the "implicit moral authority of women" they're juste using attractive people (preferably women) to appeal to you (not in a conscious and thoughtfull way).
>>
File: 1547927692214.jpg (14 KB, 466x236)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
Wait, how the fuck would a test ride work?

>Go to LBS out of area becasue they have bike you want
>End up getting lost on test ride since you don't have your GPS

Not to mention, do you bring your own pedals, saddle and what ever else?

As one user mentioned the fit won't be dialed in either it makes more sense to purchase the bike with X day return policy so you can get everything set right then ride where you're familiar with.

It's like buying a car but you can only test drive it in the parking lot and can't go over 10mph.
>>
>>1330864
>>1333087

You'd be surprised how incompetent some people are. Willingly.

>>1333199
Yes. Routinely.

>>1333568
>Is this what autism looks like ?

I've never been officially diagnosed, but I suspect I am on the spectrum. Don't ask why, it would be too much personal detail.

>>1333568
>Attractive people sells more, sex also sells.They're not using the "implicit moral authority of women" they're juste using attractive people (preferably women) to appeal to you (not in a conscious and thoughtfull way).

So.. you agree?
>>
>>1333639
>So.. you agree?
No, not really. Except if we don't have the same understanding on "the moral authority of women". Also the "workers are good looking, young, and perfectly clean" thing is a very common trope in adds. For example in every garage add the mechanics will always have pristine work clothes. This is dumb but that's juste the way it is, discarding a shop for that sort of things doesn't seems really reasonnable to me.
>>
>>1333624
>has never bought a bike or car
>>
>>1333624
Whoa, you might be on to something.
How did people even buy bikes 20 years ago?
It's literally impossible
>>
>>1334172
>How did people even buy bikes 20 years ago?

they got them at Sears or Western Auto. And LBS's sold entry level models that were not the modern day equivalent of $800 bikes.

You could go to a reasonable bike shop and buy a raleigh, schwinn, or jap bike boom Univega/Shogun.
>>
>>1334161
>No, not really.
Well. So I guess that we can at least agree that the woman in the picture was there because its an:
- attractive
- woman
- of reproductive age

Right?

So if those traits were chosen, why were they chosen? It was not agreed upon, or elected, so whatever value those traits have, its implicit - we, as members of a spieces, instinctively consider them valuable. You said so yourself.

Can a woman with those traits make you do stuff because of such traits?

More often then not, that is the case. Thus she has some level of authority.

This authority is often used to decree what is right/wrong. Like in the ad - buy at LBS = good. Thus moral.

So it is _implicit_ _moral_ _authority_.

I gather it was done instinctively, because women in variety of poses showing off attractiveness are now used as props to sell anything, but it is nontheless manipulative.

Yes. Shops are clean in the ads. Which is also not realistic, but not as jarring. Shops are sometimes clean, but attractive women very, very, very rarely work in manual labor.
>>
>>1334839
My early 90s Sears rigid mtb was pretty much the equivalent of a Trek 820 of the time. Biopace crank, 3 x 7 gearing, thumb shifters that worked in both index and friction. I rode that thing forever until a driver taco'd the rear wheel and bent the frame.
>>
I don't really think test rides are that valuable. I prefer going off reviews instead. Both my bikes I bought blind but with good reviews, so I knew the pros and cons, what I was getting, and I've learned to love them both.
>>
>>1334847
>trusting bike reviews at all
They give everything a good score because their income depends on bike brands giving them money.
>>
>>1330663
lel FUCK DYKES
>>
>>1334847
>https://road.cc/content/review/245437-canyon-endurace-al-disc-70

If this is the kind of garbage "review" you think is informative, you don't know what you're getting, you just know what some rando "feels"
>>
>>1335013
That's why you read what people are saying on forums, because 99% of their paychecks come from something unrelated to bikes.
>>
>>1335964
That only works if you're buying Vengies and Omendas. Anything remotely obscure it's just 2 or 3 random opinions that apply to the 2015 model only or maybe the women's frame version that may or may not be similar because the manufacturer doesn't publish geometry specs that follow the same measurements as anyone else.
>>
>>1335966
right, no one has ever talked about a CAAD or Allez or similar bike. fucken retard.
>>
>>1335969
>caad and allez are obscure
I don't even know how to make fun of this, you've already taken the most ridiculous position logically possible
>>
>>1335970
>That only works if you're buying Vengies and Omendas.
>>1335970
>I didn't mean that
Why do you even post
>>
>>1335971
>the only bikes that exist are trek, specialized, and cannondale
Maybe I post because I'm not an LBS victim who is forced to pick between exactly 3 brands?
>>
>>1335973
There threads out there talking about how open mold charbon frames ride and handle, are you so dense you can't find ANY reviews about recent frames from remotely relevant manufacturers? It seems like you just enjoy complaining.
>>
>>1335976
Dude you literally just claimed that fucking CANNONDALE is obscure, are you just here to be argumentative?
>>
>>1335978
See >>1335971
Your stupid rhetoric is inaccurate and useless. Now you’re going to stay fixated on your misunderstanding of me saying a Venge isn’t a CAAD as claiming Cannondale is obscure. What’s the point
>>
>>1335982
The complaint was that more obscure brands are difficult to find information on. Saying "durr you can find lots of info on these extremely popular mass-production models from Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, and Giant" is just restating the problem I was complaining about in a more argumentative way.
>What's the point
Evidently, for you, the point is to say "durr lmgtfy dum-dum, no U"
>>
>>1335985
Man you are insufferable
>>
>internet won't fix your bike
lmao bitch i've fixed more complicated things than a rear derailleur after watching a youtube video
>>
I hate this shit. I had to buy my masi before I could even stand over the top tube. No other dealer in town.
>>
>>1334841
It's not because of moral authority, it's just association.

Men like women who are attractive and of reproductive age. These women work at LBS. Therefore, man like LBS.

That's it.
>>
>>1337402
I always enjoy the interaction when the LBS has a young attractive female working there but for some reason I avoid it later. I feel like I am being manipulated and I can never get the feeling of distrust out of me unless there are no young attractive women working in customer service roles. Let alone in the mechanic's area.
>>
>Work up some courage and motivate myself
>Walk into LBS to see if they have the bike I want
>They don't have it
>They do however have another bike, basically the same spec, in my size that the owner built for an absolute steal but it's a 2017
>Owner really friendly talking to me about it
>Says I can come test ride it and if I like it he'll cut me an even better deal
>Start thinking about all the things that could go wrong
>Start realizing that I don't know the area that well and know with my luck a test ride would be a disaster
>Say I'll consider it and leave
>Vow to never return there

I fucking hate being a social retard
>>
>>1334841
Cringe and screenshotted for the next time you post on reddit or bikerumor.
>>
>>1338364
Thanks for reminding me to park my user handle on Reddit!
>>
File: RedditGoesInHere.gif (1.95 MB, 237x240)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB GIF
>>1338364
Cringe for even being on plebbit in the first place.
>>
Why would I want a woman working on my bike?
>>
>>1338823
Sex is rape
>>
>trying to find a bike, don't know what size would be right for me (its a dirtjumper)
>call 3 lbs listed as dealers to see if they have bike
>no but we can order it
>if we order it you can't return it
>fuck off
>find bike for sale on website
>free returns for 45 days

FUCK the "lbs" they shouldn't even bother pretending they sell bikes, fit and service only.
>>
>>1330090
It strikes me as somewhat dumb. Sort of a like a shoe store that won't let me try on a pair before buying them. And even then, a pair of shoes is way cheaper than a bike.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.