[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Imagine paying $4000 for a Schwinn
>>
>parafags will defend this
>>
looks better than the average expensive bike that i see here
>>
Imagine paying 4 grand for any bike
>>
>>1321029
Imagine not
>>
>>1321030
for me, it's the $2000 ultegra/force road bike
>>
Imagine judging a bike because of the brand and not materials and components
>>
Bruh I can get 4 quality bikes for that money and cover every requirement imaginable
>>
>>1321039
Yeah, but your bikes won't have two little servos and lithium batteries that you have to recharge every couple of days. Also you won't have to worry about them spontaneously disintegrating because some psyco came by and tapped the frame with a rock when your back was turned.
>>
>>1321041
>Also you won't have to worry about them spontaneously disintegrating because some psyco came by and tapped the frame with a rock when your back was turned.

Diabolical

This can't really happen, r-right?
>>
>>1321048
Only in the mind of a fringie
>>
>>1321033
I'm all for 2k bikes, you dont need more bike BUT if I had 4k laying around I would buy a bike for it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (336 KB, 1302x538)
336 KB
336 KB PNG
>>1321017
Schwinn has a long history. It would be nice to see them make a comeback.
>>
>>1321048
1. Carbon has gotten a lot better.
2. That anon speaks in hyperbole.
3. Carbon can form micro-cracks from impact that will spontaneously fail unlike aluminum which will bend and then fail. Here is an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ZYWaRxwHM
4. Carbon is fantastic but if you have an impact from crash, you should replace it to be safe.

>>1321017
I don't see the point in electronic shifting and I don't want any electronics on my bike.
>>
>>1321055
t. hasn't tried electronic shifting
>>
Just don't hit a deer

https://youtu.be/MaLmkS_WRGk
>>
>>1321055
Here's a video of an aluminium handlebar snapping:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdRHu-T1Zgo

What have we learned? Only ride unicycles without handlebars.
>>
>>1321060
>>1321055
Does this shit happen only when ridi h on trails with lots of bumps? Road riding should be immune to such failures
>>
>>1321063
Roads have cracks and potholes which can put a lot more stress on your bike than bumps on trails due to the harder surface.
>>
>>1321063
Back before carbon components were a thing and aluminium handlebars were the lightest there was it was common to replace weight weenie aluminium bars yearly to prevent them breaking on you.
>>
>>1321057
That helmet did work that day.
>>
>>1321057
>runs under a bike
>turns around and tries to run under a second bike going the other way
Yeah that's definitely a deer.
>>
>>1321071
Their main defense against predators is committing suicide before they encounter one.
>>
>>1321051
A long history of cranking out crappy bikes and lobbying for tariffs to stay solvent you mean
>but they made one nice bike
Even worse, it means they knew better and didn’t care
>>
File: rails to trails.jpg (135 KB, 800x600)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>1321057
I almost hit a deer riding on a trail like pic related once; jumped across about 15' in front of me while I was doing 20+mph. I had sort of wished I had hit it for the bragging rights.
Although, another time I hawk did it me in the back of the head with a snake before dropping it in front of me forcing me to swerve. It landed a ways up the trail and looked at me as I went by.
>>
>>1321017
>a thread died for this
So which is it, OP? Are you poor and ride some shitty cheap bike that's falling apart, and one of your buddies rolled up on this bike, brand-new and shiny, and it burns your butt? Or did you ask your mom and dad to buy this for you, they told your NEET ass to 'Get a job!', and now you're in the Denial stage, pretending it's shit and you never really wanted it in the first place? Or are you a rube who got sold this by your LBS for $4000, and now you have Buyers Remorse?

LOL doesn't matter. You should have posted this shit in some General thread instead of wasting our time with this shitty waste of a thread.
>>
>>1321086
>I had sort of wished I had hit it for the bragging rights.
There's a guy on my team who has hit a deer on this bike not once but *twice*, and both times he was laid up for several weeks with bruised/cracked ribs, and a severely damaged bike.
You really don't want to hit a deer, it'll fuck your shit up, Anon.
>>
>>1321055
>>1321060
That's why you should never buy chinese knockoffs
>>
>>1321078
They made several nice bikes, but the Varsity was the best, as it basically saved road cycling in the US. They just weren't able to keep up with memes. The new Paramount is pretty nice for $3,300, tho. Force eTap AXS by itself is a $2,500 groupset.
>>
>>1321017
sage this faggot’s shit thread
>>
>>1321142
Bump
>>
>>1321115
>as you can see from my bad financial decisions, I am not poor
t. the same kind of idiot who buys Bose because "it’s famous so it must be good"
>>
>>1321033
Where the fuck are you finding ultegra/force level bikes for that price? I spent nearly 2500 for a 105 bike. Wtf
>>
>>1321139
Breaking Away and the oil crisis saved road cycling in the US

If anything Schwinn gave it cancer by making good road bikes basically unobtainable

On the other hand they did make us such a backwater that startups were able to operate since the US bike industry was basically a vacuum
>>
>>1321155
Bikes Direct probably?
>>
>>1321155
There's more to a bike than just groupset. Frames can be made cheap for example and wheel quality also affects price point as much as anything else. Saying a bike is made of "x" material and has "y" group set is only half the story.
>>
File: IMG_0448.jpg (119 KB, 800x450)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>1321116
You're probably right. Here's a picture of the hawk that hit me in the head with the snake.
>>
>>1321156
The Varsity was introduced long before the oil crisis, when adult cycling in the US was a dead market because of the rise of cars and insanely cheap oil. The industry was already a vacuum before it came along. The only problem with it is that it stuck around way too long because Schwinn got lazy, which allowed the Japanese to come along in the 80s and crush them. But it did allow Scwinn to continue making the Paramount, which was the only thing keeping quality framebuilding alive in the US.
>>
>>1321017
4000 dollars and it doesn't even come with pedals? lmao
>>
>>1321055
>helmet comes off
why even fucking wear it if you're not going to wear it right?
>>
>>1321171
based hawk
>>
>>1321041
>Also you won't have to worry about them spontaneously disintegrating because some psyco came by and tapped the frame with a rock when your back was turned.
See: >>1320984
Guess people like you should just never own or ride a bike again, and just stay home, with the doors locked and the blinds closed, and wrap yourself in bubble wrap, sit in a fetal position in the corner of a darkened room, and hope that a meteor doesn't come crashing through your roof and kill you.
>>
>>1321048
>This can't really happen, r-right?
LOL no, clearly you've never owned a carbon fiber frameset bike, and for some reason you're actually believing the cherrypicked out-of-context horror pics some faggots keep posting of CF bikes """shattering""", but those are counterfeits, or they're the result of some catastrophic collision, like literally getting run over by a truck, not any normal use. I know guys who not only ride 200-300 miles a week on all kinds of terrain, and road race, and have been in crashes on CF bikes, and *nothing* happened to the bike frame. You literally have nothing to worry about. Just don't buy counterfeits, and don't buy cheap-ass low-quality no-name crap from Asia, those are the kind that are likely to have problems if they're going to have problems.
>TL,DR CF framesets shattering is a MEME
>>
>>1321153
So the answer to my question is: you're POOR and can't afford one. Likely because someone else you know has one and you're SEETHING over it.
Tough shit, cunt. Stop being a skeezy parasitic NEET, get a job, and maybe you'll be able to afford nice things.
In any case stop shitposting, you faggot.
>>
>>1321242
>and just stay home, with the doors locked and the blinds closed, and wrap yourself in bubble wrap, sit in a fetal position in the corner of a darkened room, and hope that a meteor doesn't come crashing through your roof and kill you

My house has been broken into twice so I'm actually safer outside because I've been robbed there 0 times.
>>
>>1321243
Why is China trying to kill us?
>>
>>1321244
Post your overpriced Schwinn so we can laugh, rube
>>
>>1321220
Schwinn was not lazy. They worked very hard at bullying LBS owners and screeching for tariffs. They just figured that was more important than building bikes that didn’t suck.

Anyone nostalgic for Schwinn is a sucker and a rube and would probably get angry on the internet because someone made fun of his rolling $4000 "I’m a sucker" advertisement
>>
>>1321269
Sounds just like Trek, Spesh, Giant, QBP, and everyone else. Being a LBS owner is only for the extremely masochistic. And honestly I'd respect someone riding that $3.3k Schwinn (dunno where you get 4k from) more than a $15k Sagan Edition Venge, because the Schwinn is a damn good deal. Unless the guy on the Venge is Peter Sagan.
>>
>>1321284
>$3300 bike vs $15000 bike
Are you just making random comparisons? What about a Schwinn vs. a Piaggio Mp3? What about a Schwinn vs. 500 pounds of good beef? Schwinn vs. a suitcase full of riced out gaming PCs? Schwinn vs. a down payment on a crack house in Detroit?

For the price of that bike you can get a very nice bike from a brand that isn't severely stigmatized as (a) dragging down cycling as a whole for decades, and (b) associated with fools who are nostalgic for a time when the US public was almost entirely ignorant of what a good bike is. Trek, Specialized, and Giant come to mind, and I don't have much love for the first two, and I have some qualms about the builds offered by the third. Any number of more "obscure" brands like BMC, Cervelo, Wilier, De Rosa, especially if you go for last year's model. Or if you're not concerned with image, build your own from Chinese carbon.

Even the virtual brands sold by Bikes Direct would be less embarrassing.
>>
>>1321333
The point of comparing the Paramount with the Sagan Venge is that unless your Sagan, riding that thing in full BH team kit (as I'm sure its owners will do) is the kind of LARP that roadies get pilloried for all the time, and paying $15k for it makes it absurd to me. Meanwhile the Schwinn is a really well specced endurance/gravelish bike for the price. One person is a fool with their money, the other is more savvy. I respect that. Can you find a bike equivalent to the Paramount for the same price or anywhere close?

As for the branding I don't see what is particularly embarrassing about Schwinn. I think that they did a good job keeping adult cycling relevant in a hostile market, until the market decided that it wanted superior products that they couldn't provide. Now, the name isn't much more than a paintjob and decal set on a bike from Pacific Cycle that probably comes out of the same factory as the above Venge. Do paint and stickers really matter that much to you? If so, that's kind of sad.
>>
>>1321355
So how would you rate the Venge against 500 pounds of beef? And how does the beef stack up against the crack house? Just want to make sure I understand how it all fits together.

There are plenty of bikes available with electronic shifting, crabon, and disc brakes for $3500. This isn’t 2011, those are becoming fairly commonplace. None of those other bikes scream “look at me I’m a revisionist fool who willfully buys dumb shit because of misplaced nostalgia” either.

It seems your best argument for an embarrassing bike is “hypothetically speaking, even worse options exist”. This is the state of Schwinnfags.
>>
>>1321365
>Just want to make sure I understand how it all fits together.
Oh, I know that you understand what I'm talking about, because:
>It seems your best argument for an embarrassing bike
There are no embarrassing bikes. Just embarrassing people. You, for example.
>There are plenty of bikes available with electronic shifting, crabon, and disc brakes for $3500.
Name one. Specifically with Force eTap AXS or better.
>>
File: DoGVLioXkAAEoav.png (1.37 MB, 1200x675)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB PNG
>>1321017
Schwinn is the future
>>
>>1321371
>Just embarrassing people. You, for example.
No U. Also, oh no no no, based, redpilled, cucked, and seething.
>Name one. Specifically with Force eTap AXS or better.
So let's make sure we're on the same page here. A $3500 Schwinn owned by Sagan vs a $15k S-Works owned by a fat guy is for some reason a valid comparison, but Ultegra Di2 is not allowed to be compared to Force eTap because no reason given other than "muh feelings"?

You still haven't answered the question about Schwinn vs 500 pounds of raw beef, btw.
>>
>>1321374
They're already the past, and I don't see any compelling options from them in the present.
>>
File: your nuts.png (149 KB, 564x360)
149 KB
149 KB PNG
>>1321484
Who said anything about Ultegra Di2? You're incoherent and should probably get examined.
>>
>>1321739
Still no answer. Obviously you concede that beef is more useful than even Sagan’s ass hairs
>>
>>1321756
Can you grill Sagan's asshair and eat it?
>>
>>1321142
>>
>>1321759
Sous vide is best
>>
My dad personally killed the iconic Western Flyer. Was a money loser for 25 years he was just the Zalinsky who had to take it out back and beat it's top tube in with a shovel.
>>
>>1321333
>(a) dragging down cycling as a whole for decades, and (b) associated with fools who are nostalgic for a time when the US public was almost entirely ignorant of what a good bike is

This post reeks of snob. If they built affordable bikes that got people into cycling and moving on to better things more power to them.
>>
>>1321781
mmm yes I can see how sous vide would retain the musty earthy flavors that a grill would destroy
>>
>>1321017
Oh man
I remember Schwinn. I grew up riding trek kid's mountain bikes. They were pretty great. But I also went to summer camp most years and the camps I went to ALWAYS had the most fucked up, poorly maintained, gear-skipping bikes imaginable. Pretty sure the tires were the only parts that actually got attention. Fuck Schwinn.
>>
>>1321858
It’s snobby to want good gear at a fair price instead of shit gear at a monopoly price

Until this thread I had no idea Schwinn was paying an army of astroturfing trolls
>>
>>1321257
>Why is China trying to kill us?
They're not specifically (or at least I don't think that's the case), but Chinese businessmen just want to make as much profit as possible, so they can afford the bribes necessary to government officials and police so they're left alone, and in some cases, so they can eventually afford to get them and their families the fuck out of China once and for all, and defect to America. Just so happens they sometimes do dangerously irresponsible things to make money, like make low-quality shit that falls apart on you.
>>
>>1321017
ALL OF YOU FAGGOTS in this thread do realize that """Schwinn""" is just a registered trademark/brand name, right? A name like """Schwinn""" can be bought and sold like anything else, and the name has changed hands several times since the original company went into business in the late 1800's. As such you can't equate anything they're producing *now* with anything they produced under previous management.
Theoretically you could buy out the Schwinn name, lure away bike designers and engineers from top-tier companies like Trek or Specialized or {insert bike manufacturer here}, and start cranking out top-tier race bikes under the Scwinn name, and they'd be just as good as anything else.
>>
>>1322165
Yeah except normally you buy a brand that has a good reputation. Like how someone tried to resurrect Klein.
>>
>>1322047

You're so far up your own ass you don't even know what you're talking about.
>>
>>1321155
I got a new 105 bike from my local bike shop for $1100
>>
>>1322313
So you got a meh-tier aluminum or shit-tier carbon fiber frameset with a low-tier to shit-tier wheelset, and they made up for it with the groupset?
>>
>>1322165
yeah, the parent company owns cannondale and gt as well

so i would assume that a high end 'schwinn' now is similiar to a cannondale
>>
File: waterford.png (9 KB, 311x162)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
The Schwinn name has a good reputation now, because Richard Schwinn has been making excellent bikes at his waterford shop for decades, under that name, gunnar and rivendell.
>>
>>1322165
The more interesting thing here is that this represents a significant pivot. Dorel used to use Cannondale as it's innovative LBS performance brand, GT as a lesser, but respected dirt oriented brand. with some big box crossover at the high end, and have Schwinn mostly be the top end BSOs at big box stores.

This represents an effort to build their own direct to consumer channel, like BD, Canyon or Walmart.

>>1321333
>>1321365
>>1321756

While beef has highly valuable protein, Sagan's ass hair can be taken advantage of for aero advantage.

>>1322412
That would be a bad assumption. Cannondale has it's own designers, and they don't want to jeopardize the premium brand.. I wouldn't be shocked if it's made with old synapse molds though.
>>
>>1322173
Yeah except if a Brand Name has a bad rep and goes down the toilet you can buy it and it's IP for cheap cheap cheap then build it up into something worthwhile -- and either profit off it long term or sell it off to the highest bidder and make a huge chunk of money.
>>
>>1322313
Rim brakes?
>>
>>1321155
Canyon Endurace AL disc 8.0 is Ultegra WITH Hydro disc brakes for €2k
>>
File: wooo canyon.jpg (79 KB, 599x599)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>1322462
we don't get that one in the st8s but we do get the 7.0 with 105 for the low low price of 1700 burgers

it's kind of disgusting to look at the difference between canyon's burgersite and bongsite. the murrican one is much more focused on lifestyle shit with tattooed fat fucks like pic related living it up with craft beer, while across the pond it's focused on bicycles and athletes, with nary a tattoo or rotund gut in sight
>>
>>1322475
well why do you even want a canyon over a domestically available brand though, unless you're a hipster?
>>
>>1322486
Because Canyon sells bikes at a great price point unlike most American based manufacturers like Trek and Specialized
>>
>>1322486
What is a “domestically available brand”? Made in USA would be what hipsters buy because they have more money than sense
>>
>>1322490
are you stupid lol. No that doesn't mean MUSA, it means something you can go and just buy from a shop.
>>1322488
im pretty sure you can get a giant or a trek with carbon & 105 for under 2 grand
>>
>>1322500
Emonda SL 5 is $2100. Ultimate SL 8.0 for $100 more gets you Ultegra and wheels that don't suck. Canyon offers bikes at a better price point.
>>
>>1322500
>it means something you can go and just buy from a shop
So in other words, either Trek FX or Pinarello Dogma F10?
>pretty sure you can get a giant or a trek with carbon & 105 for under 2 grand
No
>>
>>1322500
https://www.trekbikesflorida.com/product/trek-emonda-alr-5-disc-345301-1.htm

This is what you get for 2k with a 105 and alu frame and hydro discs.
Canyon for 2k you get Ultegra or a Carbon 105.

Biggest difference is probably that Trek have local shops which Canyon doesnt, reason they can go so low in price.
>>
File: memetana.jpg (65 KB, 540x720)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>1322507
tcr advanced 2 is 1900 us
that's close
and these bikes do go on sale in shops

a canyon is a good buy though, you're right
although im sick of movistar so i don't know if i could stomach it
>>
>>1322513
>tcr advanced 2
Not carried at any of the local Giant dealers, it's a special order. I can order my own bikes, but thanks for offering to plug my credit card number into a website and take a commission.
>>
>>1322515
i kinda know how you feel but they'd still deal with a warranty claim for you if you had to make one, which is better than having to email / call germany and do shipping to and fro

so it's not totally useless, also they might give a fit with a new bike

i'd probably rather have a canyon than a giant though, just for arbitrary reasons.
are you actually buying one, or is this hypothetical?
>>
>>1322515
>credit card
Stop using a credit card to buy shit
>>
>>1322508
>>pretty sure you can get a giant or a trek with carbon & 105 for under 2 grand
>No
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/defy-advanced-1 it says $2016 and it has carbon fame and Ultegra with HDB
>>
>>1322519
Canyon warranty is handled by some logistics company in Southern California though. And no, I'm not buying a Schwinn
>Stop using a credit card to buy shit
Oh ok how would you propose that I acquire goods? Offer to cook them some eggs? Volunteer to mow their lawn for the next 6 years? Several garbage bags full of $1 bills?
>>
>>1322513
I didn't mention Giant because Giant actually sells great bikes for a great price.

>>1322520
Sending cash via mail is safer
>>
File: 1420825894010.gif (2.56 MB, 244x250)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB GIF
>>1322535
>Giant Conduct SL Disc
>fraudulently labeled as Ultegra
Who do you think you're fooling there?
>>
>>1322540
>Crankset Shimano FC-RS510, 34/50

lmao what is this even
>>
>>1322544
908 g
ultegra is 674 g

if they're gonna cut costs with a cheap crank atleast it's still shimano though lol
>>
>>1322426
Schwinn have been selling decentish non-BSOs under the "Schwinn Signature" label for a while now, including a garbon 105 bike that doesn't look terrible for $1500. Not sure who would actually buy one, but it exists.
>>1322509
Yeah, Canyon is basically selling bikes at wholesale prices direct to consumer. Shops have to buy Trek bikes on credit, and then sell at MSRP to at least break even. And they have to be 90% Trek to get a decent wholesale price so that they at least break even on bike sales. Since you don't save any money buying direct from Trek, they ship it to a dealer so that you can get a fitting and a bj or whatever.
>>
>>1322781
>Schwinn have been selling decentish non-BSOs under the "Schwinn Signature" label for a while now, including a garbon 105 bike that doesn't look terrible for $1500. Not sure who would actually buy one, but it exists.

Boomers who like the Schwinn brand, and think Cannondale is too hoity toity, I guess. I've never seen one in the wild or in stores.

They've been selling the signature series through Amazon, and at some Canondale dealers. The Paramount is slated to be sold direct.

A closer apples to apples comparison of Canyon would be a direct seller. Bikes Direct.
>>
>>1322475
Disgusting. My desire to order a canyon is declining.
>>
>>1321086
Proof that bicycle riders are fags and god hates you.
>>
>>1322490
>>
File: 1514710878020.png (371 KB, 832x868)
371 KB
371 KB PNG
>>1323847
why do you keep posting this fucking thiiiiiing
>>
>>1323847
non black or silver stem and proprietary seatpost is disgusting
>>
>>1323864
You're right. I will stop. I think I just really like the aesthetic and color
>>
>>1321017
Imagine paying 4000 for anything
>>
>>1321155
Used bike with low end frameset, perhaps?
>>
>>1327481
imagine having a job
>>
>>1327481
That's like an american health insurance deductible
>>
>>1327515
Save it for leftypol Bucky.
>>
>>1327515
Nah its less than that.
t. american
>>1322840
Cannondale is fucking garbage tier
>>1327481
>Imagine putting a down payment on a home
>Imagine wanting to furnish a home
>Imagine wanting to pay for bills

4k is nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Shit I spent over 6K on bikes last year
>>
>>1321243
all cf framesets are made in taiwan or china.
>>
>>1332290
No they aren't.
>>
>>1321055
why would you have a carbon handlebars on a mountain bike lmao
>>
>>1332841
Why would you want a MTB at all?
>>
>>1332290
No, they're not, and even if the factory is in Asia, if it's a top-tier name brand there's quality control and quality assurance in place to ensure the factory is building them to specs and not cutting corners like the counterfeits and cheap no-names do.
>>
File: 1544688044996.gif (2.94 MB, 359x346)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB GIF
>>1333867
>>
>>1333870
>I have no argument so I'll just resort to antisemitism
>>
>>1333867
This is what someone is paying for when they're buying a brand essentially.
>>
>>1333091
Some people are too fat to ride a real bike
>>
>>1321060
>shitty 2 piece bar that failed at the weld
Yeah that's about he most likely scenario for alloy to fail.
>>
>>1321028
Aero bikes are not supposed to look good. Compared to any average normal endurance road bike it's ugly as fuck.
>>
>>1339007
they can look good enough just by not using too bright colors or having stupid logos everywhere
>>
File: abortion.jpg (182 KB, 960x540)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
>>1339023
No
>>
File: 1461160310318.jpg (102 KB, 1000x474)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>schwinn

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.