[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 53 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Golden Hours Edition

Last thread:
>>1263320
>>
File: let_go.jpg (42 KB, 546x432)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>ywn dredge up your own private island and declare independence
>>
It’s time to post some paystubs people!!!
>>
>>1316609
how many good boy points does a 50' yacht cost?
>>
>>1316631
If you have to ask - you're not a good enough boy
>>
Anyone here watch some Mariner vlogs like Chief makoi?
>>
Chief makoi raped me in my cabin when i was on his ship
>>
>>1316745
Me too but I wouldn't call it a rape, just a bit rough at the end, apparently my ass wasn't tight enogh.
>>
>>1316717
Eh, I usually can't stomach those channels. They either overplay the romance of being at sea to saccharine levels, or make it look like Deadly Catch. I mean, we're basically truck drivers of the sea, people.
>>
How is it to stand watch on the bridge? Can you bring a laptop to do something or is it hellish boredom?

Share some experiences.
>>
>>1316607
it's never too late
>>
>>1317265
Depends on captain and your exp level
If you have some exp and convince the captain it won't distract you from navigation won't be a problem.
Just don't watch movies or play games or any activity that requires you spending long times at it.
I used it for music and nav programs. Don't listen to music at hight level so you don't hear vhfs
>>
>>1317505
Or alternative, just turn the VHF up so the music isn't going over it.
>>
>>1317653
Capt won't see it that way
>>
>>1317791
My last captain thought the same until a coast guard broadcast came in at the perfect time and started talking over the whole bridge. After that I had earned his trust.
>>
>>1316896
Only we carry way more cargo, have bigger transportation means, travel longer, see more of the world and earn more
But other then that, yeah
>>
>go outside
>look astern
>see this
what do?
>>
>>1319412
Contemplate your life, will you die smiling or full of regrets?
>>
How many condoms should i bring for the master? I want to make sure his wiener doesnt have any poop on it for when he inevitably asks me to bend over.
>>
What are the officer meals like on cruise ships?
I'm considering making the switch.
Do I still have to sit for hours next to people I cant stand, while munching greasy boomer food, or can I just eat whatever I want, hopefully healthy, and fuck right off without getting liver cancer?
>>
>>1319472
Yes. If you're an officer, you can eat in the crew mess, the separate officer's mess, or even the passenger buffet for free. You're under no obligation to converse with any of the passengers during your meals as long as you rebuff them politely, although you do have to humor them when you're on duty in passenger areas.

You can also typically eat at the fancy restaurants onboard, but for those you need to be wearing your dress blues and you are responsible for the cost of the meal, which is typically just deducted from your paycheck like most other spending expenses onboard.
>>
>>1319486
Am I allowed to sniff the passengers buttholes during my offhours? Asking for a friend.
>>
>>1319486
Not the other anon
Its reasonable to take it off your pay, but it aint for me mate. The appeal of being 3 months at sea is barely paying anything while getting a fat paycheck.
Would totally do it as a captain tbqh, invite the golddiggers and their fat old husbands to the captains dinner and fuck the whore afterwards.
>>
>>1319491
>Its reasonable to take it off your pay, but it aint for me mate.
That's for the expensive places, anon. Like, if you wanted to eat at the ship's Michelin Star rated steakhouse or if you wanted to partake in the ship's sushi bar. You can eat in the officer's mess getting the same food as the main restaurant for free all you want.
>>
>>1319486
Sounds good.
I'm only a few pounds away from my target weight and i'd like to eat a salad once in a while.
>>
File: laughing_templar.jpg (61 KB, 350x335)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>1319490
You meme, but fraternizing (fucking) passengers is literally the second-fastest way to get yourself fired after showing up on duty drunk.
>>
>>1319495
You can eat a salad every single day if you so choose. The officer's mess typically has multiple ones on the menu you can order, on top of the make-your-own fare in the mess cooler.
>>
File: 1550941349434.jpg (170 KB, 768x1024)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>1319496
So you not only chastise yourself from anything but buttsecks for 3 months but you have women walking around as well?
Thats some fucked up level of cuckery right there
>>
File: 1547416335836.jpg (56 KB, 365x365)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>1319505
Who said anything about "chastizing yourself from anything but buttsex"? The ship has a crew of almost a thousand people and several hundred of them are women because the majority of the ship's crew is the Hotel department. You can fuck as many Filipina room stewards and European dancers and American tour guides as you want as long as they're not your direct subordinate.
>>
File: UwUt.jpg (20 KB, 478x516)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>1319554
Sign me the fuck up
>>
>>1319590
you wont make money working on a cruise ship
>>
>>1319801
The tradeoff is that you get to work on a ship that isn't pure hell.
>>
>>1319873
>Babysitting thousands of fat, drunk, entitled boomers
Sounds like hell to me, m8
>>
>>1319908
>implying that's your job
The extent of your babysitting is being polite to passengers when you're in passenger areas, and being helpful if they approach you with questions. You're Deck Department. You actually drive the ship. Actually catering to the passengers' needs is the job of the Hotel Department.
>>
>>1319966
I’d still hate all PAX on principle though
>>
>>1319978
It's different being on a passenger ship. Passengers hitching a ride on a cargo ship are just unwelcome guests getting in your way and eating your food, but pax on a passenger ship ARE your cargo. There's also an entire department whose job is to interact with them and clean up after them, so with that off your back you're already predisposed to deal with them better.
>>
>>1317265
It's hellish boredom even with a laptop
>>
Whoop dee scoop dee poop dee doop the WHOOP.

I just got my first sea hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
File: 1547872559833.jpg (83 KB, 460x562)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
YASSSSSS QUEEN JUST LOGGED MY SECOND HOUR AT SEA!
>>
>>1320239
What do you do? how it going?
>>
gonna be going around the horn of africa as a cadet and first time aboard what am I in for?
>>
>>1320256
Boat stuff
>>
>>1320256
Be sure to bring a box of condoms on board for the master. He's going to want to put his penis in you anus, and you want to make sure there isn't any poo on his phallus after he pulls out.
>>
>>1320652
But i only want to get fugged in the bum by a futa anon
>>
same dude from last thread wanting to gtfo of maritime academy here.

I still havent decided. Im seeing my options into the IT field since that is what I want to do.

Would you say I will regret it later not going for the Merchant Marine? I have an opinion formed now but I'll never actually know how bad or good it is if I never actually sail for long periods

would have to invest 3 years of my life to find out tho
>>
File: 1513207210046.jpg (42 KB, 480x684)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>1321216
You need to figure out what it is that you want first. Having your hand in two pots at the same time never turns out well. Either dedicate yourself to a career at sea and work your way up, or dedicate yourself to IT and suck on the jew's proverbial cock.

Kapa Kapa
>>
>>1321216
So do you get payed by nationality (where you were born), citizenship (where you have a passport) or residence (where you live at the time)
Im thinking about getting my fat western euro paycheck and living in a balkan state with cheap houses, booze and basically cheap everything
>>
>>1321469
wasnt meant for that anon but the thread in general
>>
>>1321469
More or less what's written on your passport
There are a lot of job vacancies that require uk pass, us driver license

And at the bottom of the page. We don't discriminate baseed on sex age race etc
>>
>>1321469
Really fucking depends where ya wanna work bud. If ya wanna work the great lakes like a real man, we only take canucks and americans in most roles. including deck. If you're deep sea, filipinos and indians are the norm at $800 USD/ month for deck
>>
>>1321721
>we only take canucks and americans in most roles. including deck
Because in order to sail there you have to have fucking pilotage for each individual lake.
>>
any OS or ABs here? what do you guys usually do other than muh paint ship n derust?
>>
>>1322256
They also grease.
>>
>>1322305
eh but other than that mate give me a TLDR breakdown (if you want to make it TLDR)
>>
>>1321721
care to give a summary of your career in transportation?

I'd appreciate any anon describing how they got into the field, their role, the highs and the lows.
>>
>>1322256
We basically paint and chip rust. This boat has no stewards department so we’re also responsible for cleaning the house.
Otherwise we’re on bridge watch when underway, and we’re also responsible for landing and lashing cargo
>>
>>1322346
oh hey tugfag you ever steered the ship or do you only do watch?
>>
>>1322347
The AB’s are all on deck when the boat is maneuvering in port.
I’ve maintained the course while underway a bit, but even then there isn’t really a true helm or dedicated helmsman on a supply boat
>>
File: IMG_20190428_112148.jpg (676 KB, 1200x1600)
676 KB
676 KB JPG
>>1322347
Switching from comercial to offshore I was surprised that there was no ab an the brige for entering/ leaving/ passages on the bridge

I discovered that in order to do that they had to know how to operate 2-3 azimuth thrusters or 2 engines, 2 propellers, 1/2 bow thrusters and 1/2 stern thrusters as opposed to only helm in commercial.
Can't say that steering the ship while cadet and junior off with retarded captns that put officers on the wheel during Antwerp, Rotterdam, Hamburg, Huston passages didn't pay out. But at the time being 6 hrs on manual not able to move wasn't fun.
Seen too many off, chief mates and even captains that have no fucking idea how to steer a ship and many capts that just parrot what the pilot says.

A real challenge for me was learning azimuth trusters. Where you steer right to turn left, similar to overboard engines in small boats.
>>
File: leeboard.jpg (60 KB, 825x1080)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
What does /mg/-/n/ think of leeboards? They're basically a pair of pivoting side-keels installed traditionally on the sides of low-draught ships, and are often wing-shaped to provide "lift" against heeling.
>>
File: download.jpg (91 KB, 607x403)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
Do any of you guys have gym memberships back at home? I want to get fit but don't want to pay $60/mo when I'm only home like 5 months per year.
>>
>>1323058
Get into bodyweight fitness, or kettlebells. Results with minimal equipment/cost
>>
>>1323280
Only if you're a fatass. Doesn't work for spookmasters, which I'm assuming is about 90% of this lycra-wearing board.
>>
File: 1449801959264.jpg (49 KB, 250x188)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>1323302
>he thinks /mg/ has anything in common with the rest of /n/
>>
>>1323058
If you’re in the US planet fitness is about $10 a month
>>
File: AMA.jpg (167 KB, 1200x900)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
For me, it's the Great Lakes freighter.
>>
why do you like ships
>>
>>1323609
I was almost made, born and practically raised on a ship
Theres nothing more comfy for me then being at sea
>>
>>1323609 #
I’m actually here to confront my phobias of large watercraft and shipwrecks
>>
>>1323609
ships are hammocks with an engine its relaxing sometimes.
>>
>>1316631

100 to 150k, £ or $ if you don't mind a bit of work. Just make sure the sails and rigging are up together. Most of the cost is to keep the thing running though.
>>
>>1316631
Get a job on one and pretend its yours and youll paid to do it
>>
since this thread is dead probably because half of yall are working on ship rn got any stories to share?
>>
>>1324918
Last week while i was on watch in the bridge i had itchy butt. So took my finger and cleaned out sphincter, making sure to wipe my finger clean on the sea clutter dial.
>>
>>1325199
Big if true
>>
File: 1463251092545.png (92 KB, 253x224)
92 KB
92 KB PNG
Have any of you guys done any LSFO trials?
Is your ship planning to use new, barely tested and non-standardized LSFO fuel when 2020 comes or will you just switch to expensive MGO at all times because it's tried and true?

Any of you on a scrubber-fitted vessel? Have you seen what the open-loop discharge water looks like? It sounds bad but all the (((studies))) now claim it's perfectly safe.
>>
Job opportunity here
>>
>>1325952
>implying any of the Americans in here have a Master's license
>>
>>1325970
>implying any of the Americans in here want to live in a shitty place like LA
>>
>>1326159
Moreso this desu. Fuck the Bay and fuck LA.
>>
>>1326159
>>1327368
>turning your nose up at pilotage
spotted the brownwater fags
>>
>>1319496
>literally the second-fastest way to get yourself fired after showing up on duty drunk
Ayy lmao, I interned for a large cruise line and had to drag the first engineer back to his cabin when he had passed out in a passenger corridor. No way he turned up sober on his next shift.
Hell, you could refuse an alcohol sniff test and if your superior liked you, you could get away with it.
>>
>>1328898
never turned my nose up at pilotage im just saying LA is a shit place to live
>>
post sea stories
>>
>>1329128
No u
>>
>>1329157
im just a cadet
>>
>>1329698
Shouldnt you be sucking the capns cock then
>>
>>1329733
>all captains like their dicks sucked by young boys
Go fuck yourself and your gay fantasies
>>
File: espanla.jpg (42 KB, 800x800)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>1329830
>He doesnt know
Enjoy the raep
>>
>>1329842
I'm a captain you fucking african american
>>
File: 1541558426909.jpg (43 KB, 500x478)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>1329846
And you dont like your dick getting sucked?
What are you, fucking gay?
>>
>>1329850
By other men no
If this makes me gay so be it
>>
File: 1542619613628.png (2.44 MB, 1920x1080)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB PNG
What's it like to be a marine engineer? I live in the Netherlands and probably will be going to college majoring in the merchant marine industry, either becoming a steersman or engineer.
The work/leave ratio is one of the main reasons of why I'm interested in this field, apart from the thrill of adventure, of course. I don't care about not being at home for a long time.
I probably will become an engineer, because I'm afraid the automation of ships will get rid of a lot of steersman jobs.
At the end of June I will board a ship, which will fare to Scandinavia, to see what it's like to work on a ship. If this doesn't leave a good impression, I won't be majoring in this field.
Any advice for a possible young merchant marine?
>>
>>1330990
>I probably will become an engineer, because I'm afraid the automation of ships will get rid of a lot of steersman jobs.
Automaton would kill engies too. The goal with automation is to do away with crew entirely. So don't go Engine if that's your only reason; go Engine if you want to get your hands dirty fixing things and keeping the ship running.

As for advice: bring shit to do when you're off watch. You'll have a lot of time on your hands. A LOT. And keep in mind, everyone has a bad first day out. You're going to be seasick until your body gets used to the constant motion of the vessel. Take your seasickness pills if you need them; it's much more important for you to be able to do your duties than it is to look "tough" in front of the old salts. They'll think you're a greenhorn pussy starting out anyways no matter what you do.

Ultimately, whether or not this job is for you comes down to if you have the sea in your blood, and you won't find that out until you actually go out on the water.
>>
>>1316896
Truck driving is nothing more than advanced pizza delivery. Changing the mode is just a different skillset/time commitment.

Everything is just advanced pizza delivery:

Taxi/pizza delivery>truck driving>train engineer>ship captain>airline pilot>interplanetary space ship captain

All essentially the same job. And if we go back to primitive times, your just the merchant with a pack mule, stage coach, or part of a caravan.

On the cosmic viewpoint it’s all the same job.
>>
>>1320024
Out of curiosity how does one become a passenger on a cargo ship?
>>
>>1331724
You buy a ticket
Its more expensive then a cheap cruise but youll spend a lot less at the bar
https://www.cargoshipvoyages.com/
>>1330990
Waar zit je? Hopelijk niet rotterdam
>>
>>1331724
There are a few agencies that will help you book passage on the few companies that still offer it. Alternatively, like tugfag, your company could be chartered to carry workers to an offshore platform.
>>
>>1331729
Or you are someone's wife
More commonly capts wife but ive been on a vsl where 3rd off wife was onboard for 2 weeks. Helps if you are managerial lvl
The company must allow it. Some don't
The capt must allow it. Some don't
You'll pay for her plane tickets but not for her food and accommodation while on board. Might depend on company. Never sailed for one that charged for those but you never know
If you are trading some nice areas and nice ports would be nice
I wanted to get my gf while I was trading in the Caribbean sea. Not much time in port but a lot of anchor time, used the rescue boat to go every at at the beach and swimming In photoshopped clear water. Even bought snorkeling eqp, so I thought was nice for her to be there.
Got ok from company and capt. But until my gf made up her mind capt left, new capt came on board, he was a retard, never bothered to ask him, just told my gf to w8 for me home. I was c/o then
Drinking on bord. Is it allowed or dry ship? Having a woman onboard and alcohol is not a nice mix
Also having rednecks niggers and women is also not a nice mix if you don't want to hear redneck nigger comments about your girl
>>
>>1331729
>Waar zit je?
Ik ga in Vlissingen studeren.
>>
>>1331720
>The goal with automation is to do away with crew entirely.
How long until this happens? And also, won't there be a crew needed on board just in case something goes wrong?

>whether or not this job is for you comes down to if you have the sea in your blood
I'll know that at the end of June when I will go and board a cargo ship for a week.
>>
>>1331729
Good god almighty! Airplanes seem cheaper.

Thanks for the info.
>>1331730
>>
>>1331759
Years and years and years. I'd say you can safely enter the industry and MAYBE by the time you're ready to retire you'll be relegated to maintaining autoships when they enter port.
>>
do cargo ships give seasickness?
>>
The container ship industry will collapse for other reasons before automated shipping happens.
>>
>>1332060
>container ship industry will collapse
It will contract, that's for certain. But collapse? No way in hell. The technology was too revolutionary. We're not going to change from containers unless something better comes along; we're definitely not going back to breakbulk.
>>
Navy comms guy here with a question to anyone out there who can answer.

>What do commercial ships use for their IP services underway and what's the speed like?

We use X/KA (SHF) band primarily sometimes dual simplex over EHF and the speeds are are around 2mb or higher depending on your platform.

How much do commercial comms guys make and what else do they do besides maintaining IP services?

With the Navy we maintain a multitude of circuits ranging from HF to EHF but I don't see a commercial ship using that much.

Also do you guys use crypto devices at all, taclanes (INE) etc?
>>
>>1332080
Don't know the actual tech, but merchie internet is sat based, generally a European provider.
>2MB
fucking KEK, we're lucky to get dialup speeds.

>How much do commercial comms guys make and what else do they do besides maintaining IP services?
Merchie radio officers are extremely rare; very few ships have them anymore. However, for the ships that do have them, that's their job. They maintain all of the radio equipment: the VHF, the MF/HF, the INMARSAT-C console, the sat phone, the pirate distress button, AND the radars. I think they're also responsible for maintaining/troubleshooting the fire detection system as well. But as I said, most ships don't have radio officers anymore, they rely on shoreside experts to fix their shit. But cruise ships all have one; too many electronics and too many people to just write systems off until they reach port.

>Also do you guys use crypto devices at all, taclanes (INE) etc?
Nope, not that I'm aware of. Not in times of peace, anyways.
>>
>>1332084
So even on merchies there's nobody to maintain the on board radio equipment?

I bet being comms on a cruise ship not only pays really well but is also a sweet gig (prob not)
>>
>>1332087
>So even on merchies there's nobody to maintain the on board radio equipment?
Nope, crews have been cut down to the bare minimum. Usually like 20-25 souls, tops.

>I bet being comms on a cruise ship not only pays really well but is also a sweet gig (prob not)
lel, you vastly underestimate just how many fire detectors are on a cruise ship, along with how many wifi routers there are, and how many phones. All of those are your responsibility too. I think the pay is comparable to a First Engineer/Chief Officer, though; I know the comms guys on Norwegian ships are 3-bar officers.
>>
>>1331759
Please do report back on your experience.

Im an academy student and I wanna leave everyday, but ive never actually got on board and I dont wanna have any regrets
>>
anyone here working at one of the big companies like MSC, ZUD?, Hamburg (basically every company that works around the ocean). How did you get the job as a foreigner?
>>
Apply at their office in your country
Apply at a crewing company that recruits for them in your country
Apply on their website

:|
Cmon nigger is not really that hard
>>
Cmon post bridge pics
>>
is it true that you make a lot of money as a deck hand?
>>
>>1332335
i said as a foreigner nigger. like say im a brit and i want to work for a US company but they dont have a company here what can i do?
>>
>>1333234
Msc zud etc all are international companies so they hire world wide
If you want ti work for an eskimo company prob you can't coz they hire only eskimos
But you can try their website and see their requirements, us flagged vsls require us working visa to work there if not national

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.