[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 28 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: ushsr.jpg (82 KB, 617x366)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
Have any of the Democratic presidential candidates stated clear support for high-speed rail and increased transit?
Elizabeth Warren has voiced support for land-use reform (which, let's face it, is most important), but afaik she's the only one.
>>
>>1315501
Amy Klobuchar has a $1trillion Infrastructure plan which includes expanding public transit options, HSR, and upgrading airports
>>
>>1315501
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/28/us/politics/amy-klobuchar-infrastructure-plan.html
>>
>>1315554
She's a cunt with no shot
>>
>>1315558
she’s the only moderate running. IF she survived the primaries she would have a good chance in the general
>>
>>1315501
HSR is a meme in America.
>>
>>1315501
The President isn't the office you need HSR support from. Joe Biden was a major HSR proponent, and the Obama administration made stimulus funds available for HSR, but the state governments basically killed it. There were proposals in several states to use federal funds for HSR but they died the next time the governor changed. The exception is California, which managed to kill any hope for HSR in the US by enthusiastically being California at it.
State governments need to both want HSR and have the competence to build it within a time estimate and budget. Highway projects get leeway to take forever and cost the moon, but a rail line has an army of people just waiting to brand it a boondoggle.
>>
I love trains, but we don't need high speed rail in America. Fucking stop it.
>>
>>1315626
American exceptionalism back at it again with the bullshit non-answers
>>
>>1315582
>only moderate
Don't use words you don't understand.
>>
>>1315628
Not him but he is right. HSR comes second to developing good public transportation in urbanized areas. If I can't walk from my house to where I need to go in somewhere other part of the state than what's the point? It's the reason why Japanese rail works so well as it has replaced the car for most people.
>>
>>1315628
He's right but for the wrong reason. First-world nations are past their window of opportunity for getting big infrastructure projects built. America can't seem to build any kind of rail project for under a billion per mile or faster than two decades for a project, large or small. We got our building done in the mid-20th century with the Interstates and our freight rail network, and that's just what we're stuck with. Japan and Europe went with high speed passenger rail and a reliance on shipping and trucking for freight.
Meanwhile China seems to be just ticking every box and whatever doesn't collapse is deemed the best solution.
>>
>>1315642
Nigga, what? There are fucktons of cars in Japan.
>>
>>1315644
You have to look at cars per capita, and how they're used. A Japanese family might have one car that they use for trips and to get groceries and stuff, otherwise relying on public transit or just walking. It's a less car-centric lifestyle than the average American household with one car per adult, used for every trip farther than getting the mail.
>>
Cross country HSR is a meme outside small countries and china. it would still take 2 days and then some to go from Boston to LA. When the longest trip you want to do is 8 hours.

I wouldn't even talk HSR and all the eminent domain it would need. Until the frieght and existing other rail is fully electric.

The we have to change things so we can use rolling stock like the shinkansen. Instead of having to use locomotives and separate passenger cars.
>>
>>1315644
Let's take the milt stats for cars in Tokyo. As you know the population is about 13 million. And there is only 3.1 million cars which isn't bad at all. Opposed to Gunma prefecture which has a population of 1.9 million and 1.3 million registered cars.
>>
>>1315661
Japan is developed different. You need a car in America. Shit is too far away.
>>
>>1315665
>Cross country HSR is a meme outside small countries and china

I'm pretty sure this is why the connecting lines to make a truly cross country network are the last ones planned in OP image? And the first are the most profitable and high ridership lines connecting nearby major metropolitan areas?

>it would still take 2 days and then some to go from Boston to LA

I doubt anyone would take a train that far except for novelty, or for visiting the cities along the way similar to current road trips. Because let's face it, almost nobody would drive from Boston to LA either. But, because there ends up being a railway running the whole span, people in the middle now have connectivity to other cities less than half that distance away. This means far less pollution from planes and cars because they are no longer necessary for those trips. Planes still retain transcon or mostly transcon, unless we want to get into overnight trains.

>I wouldn't even talk HSR and all the eminent domain it would need. Until the frieght and existing other rail is fully electric.

What? There is no prerequisite for full electrification of freight or other lines before building HSR. HSR shouldn't even be running on freight lines anyways, as that then brings us to the issue of Amtrak getting blocked by freights.

>The we have to change things so we can use rolling stock like the shinkansen. Instead of having to use locomotives and separate passenger cars.

Are you fucking retarded? Texas plans to use the N700 from Japan on their HSR. California is using their own special EMU. Nobody uses a locomotive to haul an HSR passenger train.

>>1315673
This is a solvable problem. You are literally giving up before even attempting to fix it.
>>
>>1315644
Things burgers do
>drive shitbox to train station
>can't find parking and circle around for 15+mins
>park car take train into town
Things Japanese do
>walk to train station or take the bus
>take train to station they need to go to

Park and Ride is a stupid fucking meme that boomers want so they can feel included. A real system would include options for walking and biking with bus transit that feeds an elaborate rail system. Orlando is such a fucking mess with sunrail it pisses me off to no extent.
>>
>>1315673
This is because of car centric planning post 1950s though. Its not like out infastructure popped out of the ground
>>
>>1315616
not really, the Avelia Liberty route begins in the Northeast Corridor in 2021. Amtrak already purchased a bunch of new trains
>>
>>1315501
>board tourist from >>>/pol/ posting /pol/ threads on /n/
YOU HAVE TO GO BACK
>>
>>1315683
>the Avelia Liberty route
I hate being this pedantic, but the Avelia Liberty is the trainset, The Acela Express is the service, and the Northeast Corridor is the route. It's like calling the West Coast Main Line the Virgin Pendolino Line, it just feels wrong to me
>>
>>1315700
>/pol/
>democratic candidate
kill yourself
>being that guy who complains about the one vaguely off topic thread in a sea of shitposts
>>
>>1315680
Public busses are just rolling homeless shelters and they're never on schedule. I live a 15 minute drive away from my job. It took an an hour for me to get to work on Sunday. I live in Baltimore.
>>
File: cq5dam.web.1686.948.jpg (260 KB, 1686x948)
260 KB
260 KB JPG
>>1315676
Anon
>>
>>1315712
>being the samefagging /pol/ board tourist who shitposts
>>
Let’s see someone fix the crumbling northeast corridor tunnels under the Hudson before any talk of HSR. We lack the political will to maintain the one successful medium speed rail corridor in the nation, the one place that isn’t “wouldn’t it be cool if people rode trains”.
>>
>>1315700
>>1315712
>>1315734
This just started in the last few weeks, it's the same guy. Every time he sees a post he doesn't like he starts screeching about /pol/ and /b/

There was some guy who shat up EVERY FUCKING THREAD on /trv/ with this kind of shit a few years back, it woudln't surprise me if he just discovered /n/ and decided this is now his special secret board and it's his job to piss and shit everywhere so everyone knows what an oldfag slowboarder he is.
>>
File: welcometotrv.png (112 KB, 1570x824)
112 KB
112 KB PNG
>>1315747
>>1315734
>>1315712
>>1315700
Oops sorry forgot picture
>>
>>1315680
Meanwhile, Japan has one of the world's busiest domestic airline industries.
>>
>>1315720
I get that. Lynx is a the shitty bus system that runs here and they're never on time and nobody even knows when they run. It's really a screw up for a city this big to have a shit system like this. But when I'm in Japan yet some small bus companies can not only run busses on time they can also more punctual than rail. Ain't that something.
>>1315750
How do the Japanese access this air network? In Tokyo they take the Highway bus or take N'ex or skyliner and non limited express rail.
>>
>>1315501
That map makes zero sense. Airplanes suffice for most of it.
>>
>>1315750
When you're as densely populated as Japan, this makes sense
>>
>>1315626
Complete dumbass.
Transit systems need high-speed rail between cities as much as light rail in the cities. They’re both big improvements.
>>
>>1315626
What wrong with having a regional HSR network in the same vein as the NEC? Why not build up a Southeastern Corridor HSR that connects all the major southern cities?
>>
>>1315733
You've posted an intercity express train, not high speed rail.
>>
>>1315501
This map is hilarious. My favorite part is the unironic suggestion to build a 220MPH rail line from fucking Salt Lake to Seattle.
>>
>>1315711
Well, it will be real HSR. Just only servicing DC-Boston. Which, is where it is most needed
>>
>>1315821
Southeastern HSR network would be optimal.
Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, Birmingham would get tons of riders. Here in the South we visit each others' cities a lot.
>>
>>1315626
No you don't
>>
>>1315501
Can we start lynching and black balling communists from employment like we used to?
>>
>>1315914
Fuck Montana, amirite?
>>
>>1317547
Tell you the truth I couldn't tell you where Montana was unless I looked at a map. So yes.
>>
>>1315680
Japan: 145,936 sq mi
U.S.: 3,796,742 sq mi
>walking to train stations
You're a dum-dum
>>
>>1317547
That line doesn't even go near Montana.
>>
File: 1534991901291.png (93 KB, 1055x574)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
>>1315501
>straight line through the rocky mountains
>straight lines through national and state parks
>not connecting midmajor cities like wichita, lubbock, or even the state capitals
>>
File: brainlet8.png (129 KB, 900x729)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
>>1317569
>country size has anything to do with urban areas
>>
>>1315628
>be me
>Want to fly from denver to chicago
>flights cost $77
>train cost $130
i wonder why intercontinental train travel in america is dying
>>
>>1317674
>>straight line through the rocky mountains
>>straight lines through national and state parks
It's essentially a tube map for every line except California. Don't get hung about on something so trivial.
>>
>>1315673
Urban infill and pedestrian-oriented development grows in popularity every year in the US.
In fact for several years multifamily has surpassed single family development.
If you don’t believe me, just wait. Or go outside.
>>
>>1317675
>doesn't realize how much population density affects things like distance between domiciles and public transit hubs/access points
You're not thinking these things through, Anon.
Either that or your bias is skewing your opinions.
>>
>>1317569
That shit isnt relevant when i live in the fucking fastest growing metro area in the united states and people do this shit. I am talking about in many metropolitian areas such as Orlando and Southeast Florida where people actually do this dumb shit.
>>1317678
Being in Japan was great since I could do the following.
>leave apartment walk to train station take train to airport
>fly to Hokkaido
>take train from airport to small inaka town
>take bus to village I need to get to
We should hopefully be able to do this one day in the united states. Its only a dream really.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.