[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 33 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

there’s nothing wrong with walmart bikes for riding on the road/sidewalks/paths
>>
>>1314108
If it's all you can afford, it'll get you riding. They're very low quality though.
>>
File: opc-chainwheel.jpg (14 KB, 507x206)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>1314108
Okay, I have some time to explain. There are a number of differences between a wal-mart bike and a "real" bike.

Let's start with the pedals, specifically the crank. A wal-mart bike will have the chain rings attached to the crank arm via a single bolt. Picture is related. These cranks are both heavy and weak. All of the torque of the rider has to go through that single attachment which is a sever weak point and can break under load or if the mileage gets too high. I have broken that bolt myself back when I was riding wal-mart bikes. In addition the arms are often steel and solid making them very heavy and they tend to have some flex, robbing you of your power. Conversely a modern mid to high end crank will be made of light alloys, will be stiffer and will be much stronger. This is going to help you transfer power, be lighter to help you on hills and is going to be far more durable among other advantages. The nicer ones also have lower friction bearing designs.

Next we'll discuss the frame. The frame of a wal-mart bike will be made out of cheap straight gauge tubing. This is heavy and does not flex in the right ways but does flex in bad ways. It may have poor lateral stiffness or not be vertically compliant. That means that in addition to being heavy (which is bad for hills), it will rob you of your power by not transferring energy efficiently and will be less comfortable on longer rides. A mid to high end frame will have fancy tubing butted to be thinner in the middle saving weight and designed to be stiff in all the right ways and flex in others to make them more comfortable. The nicer frame will generate much less fatigue over long rides.

Next wheels:
>>
>>1315124
The wheels are also of great difference. A nice bike will have double walled rims made of alloy, properly trued wheels with spokes better and maybe fewer spokes, machined hubs, as opposed to stamped or cast and sealed bearings of a tighter tolerance. This works out to a wheel that will be more durable, weigh less and have much better aerodynamic. Aerodynamics are huge on a bicycle and account for nearly all of the resistance to riding. You'd be amazed how much drag 30 steel spokes can generate. Conversely a wal-mart wheel will have cheap hubs, heavy and weak rims, straight spokes, poor bearings etc... It works out to a wheel with more rolling resistance, more air resistance and is weaker. Wal-mart bike wheels are really bad.

Brakes, the brake calipers or worse mechanical disc breaks will be made of cheaper more flexible parts and will not work as well, period.

After those big things, it's pretty much everything else. The seat post, seat, stem, bars, grips will all be much heavier. The shifters will be cheaper and not as precise. The chain will be clunkier and heavier with fewer gears. All those little parts add up to further increase the weight and decrease the precision feel of the bike. The bike may also not have multiple attachments for water bottles.

Overall, the wal-mart bike generates much more resistance to the rider's efforts and will be less comfortable on longer rides. That is the difference.

If you just want to ride it through a small park on Sunday or around the block, it literally doesn't matter. If you want to go riding for a few hours at a time, it's a HUGE difference.
>>
>>1315124
>>1315128
faggot
>>
>>1315135
lol
>>
thanks for the info. How much does it cost to custom build a single speed bike with coaster brakes, from scratch
>>
>>1315135
>>1315154
I don't get the joke.
>>
>>1314108
OP, as this guy: (>>1315124, >>1315128) explained, the difference between a decent bike and the cheap ones they sell at places like Walmart, is the components are cheap no-names that aren't very good even when they're new, poor quality, will wear out quickly, leaving you with an unusable bike. Framesets may be hard to screw up on, but it's the components (drivetrain, wheelset) that make the difference. You're better off buying a used bike off somewhere like Craigslist.
>>
File: walmart_quality_bso.jpg (375 KB, 1600x1200)
375 KB
375 KB JPG
Walmart doesn't sell bikes, and if they did, you shouldn't trust the assembly. As a rule of thumb, don't go worse than the lowest level of bikes direct.
>>
File: p1100032.jpg (1.63 MB, 2293x1859)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB JPG
I morally object to things that are such poor quality they will have to be thrown away within a few months/years, even if it's financially sensible to buy them, it's environmentally irresponsible
>>
>>1315164
wait... is that fork turned the wrong way?
>>
>>1315168
No. It's australian. They put them on that way in the southern hemisphere because of the rotation of the earth.
>>
>>1315170
That explains the color.
>>
>>1315124
American one piece bottom bracket is the stronger dumbfag, you must have been using a chinese or hindu bike.
And department store bikes use 3 piece cranks since the early 90's ashtabula cranks are no longer in use.
>>
>>1314108
if you want to break open your skull.
To buy a wallmart bike you must know how to properly assemble it yourself
>>1315164
pic related
>>
File: target_bso.jpg (1.1 MB, 3024x4032)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
These BSOs are arguably the third worst things sold as bikes available.

>>1315168
Maybe they're just following the pictures in the ad?
>>
>>1315168
LOL yep, it is. What kind of brainlet does that?
>>
File: toys_r_us_next.jpg (23 KB, 346x346)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>1315198
It's a complete mystery.

Pic related. They made the most recalled BSO ever released in america even worse.
>>
File: 15512173-2.jpg (92 KB, 600x300)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>1315166
i always wonder what happens to old trashed bikes and parts like old tires and break shoes, are there recycling programs for this stuff ? there is a literal mountain of old bikes on my local impound lot
>>
File: AncalagontheBlack.jpg (263 KB, 2272x1704)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
>>1315204
you get the odd community buisiness run by some old cook who is inevitably essentially mentally ill that hoards old bikes and does its best in fixing them up and stuff which i respect alot, but aside from that, not really

and those department store bso's aren't worth recycling so they don't even qualify. The shit just all ends up in a landfill.
>>
>>1314108
There’s a subtle threshold between “barely good enough to be useful” and “completely pointless”. BSOs are painstakingly designed to ride that rim. They’re a study in cost optimization. No bikes are shipped out ready to ride though, final assembly is done in-store by an overworked minimum wage “associate” who knows nothing about bikes and cares even less. It’s the luck of the draw there, sometimes by pure chance everything goes together as it should, usually not so much. Backwards forks are hilarious and dangerous, brake misassembly is less notable and more dangerous. Bikes are the only road-going vehicles with no safety standards at all, and hardware store bikes take advantage of this opportunity.
>>
>>1315211
Not true, bug box stores typically pay a 3rd party to come by and build a bunch of bikes at one time because they have the tools and expertise but in reality, it's one schmuck with a power drill who just wants to fly through the mass assembly as quickly as possible. They're shit.
>>
>>1315156
fyi Sturmey Archer makes a 3 speed hub with a coaster brake, you'd still have a single-cog drive train. not sure how costs compare but it's not like SA is a boutique brand, might be a good option.
>>
Walmart bikes are super cheap and won't last no matter how good you try and take care of it. It's just cheapest construction. The cruisers on the other hand are pretty good, heavy but not much to really break on a basic design.
>>
>>1315389
Get the shimano one, it sucks less
>>
>>1315124
but this is overkill for the purpose OP was asking. you're just a faggot tryin to sound smart
>>
>>1315164
yeah they do
>>
>>1314108
Agreed, the sneering about "BSOs" by hobby cyclists is essentially just spitting on poor people.

>But a used REAL bike would be cheaper in the long run!

Yes, a used bike that a poor doesn't have the tools or expertise to evaluate that comes with no warranty versus something that does have a warranty/return policy. Also when you live paycheck to paycheck saving up for something better isn't always an option when you need transportation. Finally what hobbyists don't understand is the difference in mentality. To the vast majority of people, commuting via bicycle is not fun, it is an indignity and inconvenience to be born until they can afford to buy a car. Saving up and buying a nice bike would be an admission that they are locked into poverty, to bicycle riding, for the foreseeable future.
>>
>>1315630
So buying a car wouldn't be an admission that they are locked into poverty, to car driving, which is far more expensive in every way imaginable to riding a bike?
>>
>>1315630
that would be really long term. you can get at least 10 cheap bikes with the money that you can get one of those expensive hobby bikes that people post here and even those cheap bikes will last many years if you are careful with it.
>>
>>1315205
whats so special in them? just melt it like any mteal and use it for something else
>>
>>1315645
seth did a video where he fixed up an abandoned BSO on the trail, rode it down, brought it to the recycling place and only got about tree fiddy
and that was after sorting out the much more valuable aluminum from everything else
>>
>>1315128
Walmart-tier BSOs are often unsafe as well.
Stuff like plastic brake levers, melting brakepads, suspension forks that bend like crazy and break, stems that can't hold the handlebars tight, wheels that get out of true realy fast and tires that have no grip make for a dangerous ride.
That doesn't even include errors in assembly.
>>1315630
You can maintain a simple 90s rigid MTB with only basic tools like a screwdriver, a set of allen keys, oil and a patchkit.
The older, but much better components are build
>>
>>1315205
I went to buy a road bike off CL once, showed up at the guy's house and every room inside was filled with hundreds of bikes, the yard too. There's no doubt in my mind many were stolen. Guy's like that aren't typically doing "community service" by flipping bikes.

Anyway, there's no reason to be advising poorer folks to spend any more than ~$100 on a bicycle, less even. Bike are pretty simple machines and even walmart clunkers will get someone to where they need to go. Ask Jamal riding his shitty little clunker mtb on his way to McDonald's whether he'd like to walk for 30 minutes or bike for 5 to work. Spend a little time in a bike co-op for low income people and you'll quickly see frankenbikes that are total POS's from a "Cyclist" perspective still work just fine. Commuting to work on a $2000 gravel bike, like I do, is a total luxury and probably akin to commuting in a sports car, as far as things go.
>>
>>1315669
are they really that bad there? the bikes that i see in markets here dont look that bad
>>
File: PSX_20190328_151749.jpg (1.67 MB, 2000x1500)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
>>1315685
The issue isn't that a bike looks bad, the issue is that the bike has serious safety flaws.
There are cheap useable bikes, but walmart-tier bikes are usualy dangerous these days.
If you want a dirt cheap bike, Decathlon sells stuff like that with a lifetime warranty on frame+fork.
I don't want to shill for them, but their shit might not look fancy but at least it fucking works safely and they at least know a little about bikes. (no reverse forks or shit like that)
The main differences are:
>they have to maintain a reputation for their in-store brand
>they have dedicated personal for bikes
>they sell bikes as a sports device/commuter, not as a toy
Pic related, my cheapest bike: heavy hi-ten steel frame+fork, boxed rims, V-brakes and originaly 1x8 drivetrain, converted to 3x8 for the mountains.
>>
>>1315590
How would you explain to someone that a bike costs $1,500 when they don't know what the difference is between that and a $200 wal-mart bike?
>>
>>1314108
The first/last walmart bike I got immediately started rusting from the ambient humidity. The gears and chain were all useless after a couple months with under 50 miles on it. It was a complete waste of $100.

On the flip side, I got an antique steel road bike for $200 and it's still running fine 5 years later.
>>
>>1315195
>These BSOs are arguably the third worst things sold as bikes available.
So... what are the first and second worst things?
>>
today i will remind them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A6bKUCcDW0
>>
>>1315630
>poor people are stupid
>poor people can’t take care of their things, or themselves
>poor people can’t save or make longer term investments
>poor people are unable to enjoy cycling, even if it’s also a necessity
>poor peoples highest ambition is to be poorer cagers
>poor people can’t have nice things, or live well
Not saying you’re wrong. There’s a reason poor people are poor, after all. But who’s “sneering” at them again?
>>
>>1315858
>poor people are stupid

Most people are stupid and lazy, it's never been easier to get knowledge and skills than today, and most people are still useless as hell

>poor people can’t take care of their things, or themselves
>poor people can’t save or make longer term investments

When you're living paycheck to paycheck working shitty jobs saving can be very hard, also the mentality I alluded to above, that cycling is a necessary evil (this is shared by most of NA except hobby cyclists). Also forgot that having nice things as a poor is hard as you are surrounded by criminals who will happily take your nicer things.

>poor people are unable to enjoy cycling, even if it’s also a necessity

Never even implied that, I've met some that really did enjoy cycling and rode the nicest bike they could afford and maintained it to the best of their ability. A tiny minority tho.

>poor peoples highest ambition is to be poorer cagers

There's that silly word again. Having a car lets you commute farther/easier, opening up your employment opportunities, lets you listen to music without dangerously decreasing your situational awareness, shop for groceries in bulk, take girls on dates, and arrive at destinations not soaked in sweat.

>poor people can’t have nice things, or live well

Yes? Why are you restating the definition of poverty?
>>
>>1315705
B'twin is fucking based. I have a Triban 500 from when I bought my first bike, sure it cost €450 but it has survived a beating over 2 years daily all year round, also salty winters. Never did any service on it nor oiled the chain.

Now I got a more expensive bike but damn, Decathlon have some crazy deals.
>>
>>1315871
I said “Not saying you’re wrong” at the end of my post. I agree with most of your points too. I was calling out >>1315630 for implying it though, after they said criticism of BSOs is spitting on the poor people who tend to buy them.

Thrift is a virtue. It’s possible to live well on a small budget, to make wise decisions and live a happy and fulfilling life. It’s way more work than just being rich and having everything served up on a silver platter, but it can be done. I suspect that BSOs might be more expensive in the longer run than those who buy them can afford, even if the initial sticker price is attractive. Cars are the other end of that scale, and you’re right about their marvelous convenience, but they can be a trap too. If you’re poor and buy an unreliable vehicle on expensive credit so you can listen to music and take girls on dates, you might pay more for that privilege than you think! For the poor, BSOs are a false economy, and cages are a false luxury.

Know yourself. Know your means, and live within them. Buy the best everyday tools you can afford, and care for them as best your able. Buying a respectable, suitable, *maintainable* bicycle and keeping it in tip-too condition is within the financial and physical abilities of all but the most destitute. Those people don’t buy BSOs either.
>>
https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/news/article/viathon-r1-road-g1-gravel-m1-mountain-bikes-53862/
>>
>>1315878
Not the guy you're replying to but..
>Know yourself. Know your means, and live within them.
99% of the people on Earth don't care about this, reason we even have loans to begin with and a lot of companies that focus only on getting people out of debt today. It's a sad world..
>>
>>1314108
No. You'd be better off finding an old '80s ten-speed from Craigslist/thrift stores. It will likely be cheaper and last longer. Walmart/Target bikes are fucking trash. It's well worth it to spend a few hundred dollars extra and get something in the cheap range from a reputable retailer where the components won't fall apart within weeks. ~$500 is the cheapest I'd go for a new bike. Anything less and I' can't trust it'll last for more than a few weeks.
>>
>>1315164
>Walmart doesn't sell bikes
What Walmarts are you going to?
>>
>>1315875
The bike in my pic is a Riverside 120, it was 130€ before the drrivetrain upgrade.
It survived fast desceds down the mountain roads of Tenerife multiple times with no issues, even the brakepads are still fine and have plenty of life left in them.
Only ever pumped up tires, lubricated the chain and cleaned it in 2 years of ownership.
>>
I have a walmart “””mtb””” that i use on campus, my big motivator was getting something that would deter theft and work well enough. I can confirm the quality is still just as terrible as it always has been, probably worse than before. However, i am good enough with bikes to fix most of the issues.

Big problems:
*Loose bolts, everything has to be retightened frequently.
*Along those lines all the bolts are rusty after under a year.
*Seatpost was too short.
*Pedals are falling apart.
*Shifters need constant adjustment.
*Front derailleur rubs on the rear tire when fully down, also bends often from regular use of shifting
*Latest issue is the bottom bracket bearing is going out, creaks and squeaks every stroke.
*””suspension”” fork is a real joke, it has a few inches of travel but is super stiff and has no dampening. Also rusting heavily.
*Paint has faded so fast its insane.

The upgrades i have done to make it rideable:
*Longer seatpost & different seat.
*Lubed the wheel bearings.
*Adjusted the shifters many times to keep them working correctly.
*Poured wax lube on the chain very often since these chains always rust massively, wax seems to have protected it.
*New sealed bottom bracket and pedals on the summer to do list.

Man avoid this garbage at all costs. I so regret not getting a nice used bike on craigslist. As some other guy said if you’re gunna go new go bikes direct or at least shwinn at walmart not the complete garbage like genesis (brand my “””mtb””” is), next, kent, etc (i think kent owns all three brands idk).
>>
>>1316062
cant you avoid the rusting problem by keeping it inside? most people just leave their bike in the rain or whatever and then wonder why that happens
>>
>>1316064
Bruh I had a walmart bike too. I only kept it inside and it still rusted within a couple month. The metal they use is absolute shit.
>>
There's pretty much no reason unless you absolutely need a bike right this second. My winter beater is a '90s Trek that I got for $20 from a pawnshop and I guarantee it will outlast all of those Walmart bikes.
>>
>>1316447
maybe they are different in america then. i have had all kinds of cheap bikes and they would never rust or break. the only problem with them was that even the cheapest always got stolen. even the ~100€ bike that was made of steel pipes and had no gears worked fine as long as i had it.
>>
>>1316706
Maybe Anon lives in a coastal area, if you ride near the sea your shit will rust no matter what. He also probably never properly tightened any bolts after buying it, I know from first hand experience that Walmart bikes are very poorly assembled.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.