[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

But It’s just two planes taped together right? Is this cheating? Would you want to fly on this thing. The idea of building the world’s largest plane just for the sake of it seems fraught with hubris to me and bring to mind the Titanic, Icarus flying too close to the sun, and the Tower of Babel. Enjoy your world’s largest deathtrap, jet setters. I’m fine staying here in bed.
https://www.theverge.com/transportation/2019/4/13/18309129/stratolaunch-worlds-biggest-airplane-first-flight-rockets
>>
Composite Goose
>>
Twin-hull planes have been around for decades there is nothing new about this except the size.
>>
I said. Hop. in.
>>
stay in bed buddy. we out here makin history (its not (obviously because its fucking square) 2 747 fuselages. and the spars are probably the largest single carbon composite thing that exists. single fibers 385 ft long, and uni fibers 4 ft thick
>>
>>1314264
subtle kek
>>
>>1314267
>and the spars are probably the largest single carbon composite thing that exists. single fibers 385 ft long, and uni fibers 4 ft thick
Now, I'm curious about this, they may indeed be the longest at least. I'd guess that by volume or weight the biggest is probably some yacht though, they're starting to build carbon ones pretty big.
>>
File: f82.jpg (143 KB, 1200x774)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
cute
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hku8TH9NKfw
>>
>>1314070
>Would you want to fly on this thing. The idea of building the world’s largest plane just for the sake of it
It's designed to be a launching platform for rockets you absolute mongoloid, it's being built for a very specific purpose not 'just for the sake of it'
>>
Russia btfo
>>
File: 1553047572063.gif (1.99 MB, 450x310)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB GIF
>>1314264
Kek
>>
File: first light.jpg (500 KB, 1920x1080)
500 KB
500 KB JPG
>>1314267
That was oddly specific knowledge about the flap actuators. Stop by my desk and say hi sometime.

>>1314468
I wouldn't be surprised if it was built just for the sake of it, with a business case tacked on afterwards. It would be really hard to make back the development costs.

Here's a picture from this morning.
>>
File: 777.jpg (159 KB, 632x655)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
https://youtu.be/alNzFInXtSM
>>
>>1314070
It's not just for the sake of it. They want to start rockets from the stratosphere.
>>
>>1315227
I doubt that this thing will ever put a commercial payload in orbit.
>>
>>1314264
Noice.gif
>>
A..are there 2 pilots?
>>
>>1316262
smaller versions of a similar idea have been tested successfully
>>
File: stratolaunch.jpg (9 KB, 320x179)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>1314583
Wow...You REALLY didn't get the memo about this being built to carry a spacecraft between the fuselages? Its a launch platform to send tourists into space AND launch satellites cheaper. Yeah, they're gonna make their money back, maybe while you find out that your airline just went bust while you're riding middle seat in coach, about to miss your connection. Please, dismiss yourself from any Stratolaunch discussions until you educate yourself about it.
>>
File: 20190416_182026x.jpg (353 KB, 1000x682)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
>>1316446
lol. I'd like to think I know a little bit about the program. Do you have any idea how much the program has cost so far, and how much more it would take just to get a pre-existing launch vehicle like Pegasus integrated?
I think it could totally be possible that Paul Allen wanted to do something ambitious and change the industry, not just make money (otherwise investors would be all over this). Yeah it will make a little bit back and probably even become self-sustaining, but no way to recoup the development costs. It's not like he bankrolled SpaceShipOne to make money.
>>
>>1316467
The problem is that the original launch systems planned for it (Falcon 9 Air, Dreamchaser, etc.) all backed out, leaving them with only the pegasus. Chances are they'll end up flying payloads for the airforce instead [spoiler]or get mothballed[/spoiler].
>>
>>1316481
Stratolaunch was working on several of their own rocket designs, but they've stopped that after Paul Allen died (and laid everyone off). They're looking to sell the company, so it will depend on what the buyer wants really. It sounds like the program will continue though, so no mothballs.
>>
>>1314070
Which side has the (real) cockpit?
>>
>>1316432
Right. However, with more and more launch vehicles becoming available, this thing is becoming less and less commercially viable. The Pegasus XL platform is pretty good, for what it is, and is relatively economical for small payloads. Larger (read: more valuable) payloads ask for a more reliable launch system. We'll see more "gang-bang" launches that put multiple payloads in multiple orbits, so the launch cost is shared by several owners.

I see Stratolaunch performing a series of suborbital demonstration tests, and perhaps a couple of orbital insertions, again, just for testing and demonstration. The whole "space tourism" thing? I'll believe it when I see it. For the foreseeable future, such endeavours will be limited to parabolic suborbital flight.

In 10 years, Stratolaunch will be a giant monument to getting all dressed up with no place to go.
>>
>>1316446
The problem is, Medium Launch Vehicle, Medium Launch Vehicle Heavy and Space Plane were all cancelled.

Right now, Stratolaunch can only launch 3 Northrop Grumman Pegasus rockets at once, and that's it. Virgin Orbital has developed their own rocket system and they're using 747-400s retried from the Virgin Atlantic fleet.

Meanwhile, SpaceX, who initally wanted to use Stratolaunch with the Falcon 5 abandoned the idea when they didn't like the idea of the Falcon 5 and Falcon 9 booster recovery started to appear to be realistic.

Stratolaunch is a rocket launch plane with no rocket to launch.
>>
Put a passenger cabin with a dance club in the midwing, and some Saudi prince will buy it.
>>
>>1314070
only it isnt the worlds biggest airplane. i worked at lockheed martin for 13 years.
>>
>>1316262
Northrop Grumman is so amateurish aerospace company. It is literally being built by Scaled Composites for Stratolaunch Systems. Another Northrop Grumman subsidiary, Orbital ATK, has done orbital launches from NB-52 and Lockheed TriStar for almost 30 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L47cpXTzQU

Stratolaunch is just doing that on bigger scale. Three Pegasus rockets per flight or with a bigger rocket.
>>
>>1314311
and only 4 part are interchangeable with the P51 Mustang
>>
I want to fly on a giant gasbag
>>
>>1316446
>take off in bigass welded together passenger jet
>have to sprint across wing doing mach 2.bagillion to hop into shuttle just in time for breaching the atmosphere, somehow both sticking to the wing and not asphyxiating on the way over.
>whole ass stratolaunch jet gets ditched each time
Goddamn this is legendarily stupid. Russians confirmed for subhuman
>>
>>1317967
There's a tunnel in the wing they use to get from the cockpit to the shuttle, so they don't need to run across the wing.
>>
The AN-225 is cooler
>>
>>1319214
It can also carry a larger load while being a general purpose cargo transporter whereas this stratoshit can only carry jets
>>
>>1317967
They don't ditch the entire plane, it's perfectly fine to fly back to the spaceport and land again. Also, it's American, not Russian.

Idiot burger confirmed.
>>
>>1319216
it's almost like they've been built for completely different purposes

really makes you think
>>
>>1319216
>>1319214
butthurt vatniks confirmed.
>>
>>1316742
lel this went under the radar
>>
>>1317922
Which parts?
>>
chunky boy coming through
>>
>>1320598
>Phismosis: The Plane.
>>
File: boi.jpg (11 KB, 299x225)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>
File: emgo2xdhb6701.jpg (178 KB, 1200x824)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>1319214
This, myria will always be my planefu.
>>
>>1314070
So you can take out 2 towers with 1 plane
>>
>>1316446
based
>>
>>1321802
I kek'd.
>>
>>1320831
Seen one of those in Hamburg before, what a curiosity.

>>1321794
Seen one of those in Leipzig before, what a big guy.
>>
>>1314070

Pretty much. No. No.

BtW RMS Titanic was built to compete w/ the White Star Line's main rivals Cunard, which had recently launched the Lusitania & the Mauretania - the fastest passenger ships then in service - & the German lines Hamburg America & Norddeutscher Lloyd, rather than because of hubris.
>>
>>1314264
Underrated
>>
>>1314070
>just for the sake of it

You don't know what it's used for, do you? How are you gonna transport a huge ass rocket otherwise?
>>
>>1320831
dolphins can't fly.
>>
>>1320598
>>1320831
Can someone explain why these planes aren't more popular?

Seems like you could carry so many more people
>>
>>1326569
It takes literally hours to board and deboard all the passengers. A mechanical or something like that causes much larger ripple effects throughout the network. They are extremely uneconomical to fly unless you can pack them to the gills at all times and put them on 8+ hour routes where the extra fuel load offsets the wasted fuel for takeoff and climb. The vast majority of airports are unequipped to handle them. Passengers find the 5+ width seating blocks distasteful.
>>
>>1326572
There's no reason it should take more than 20 minutes for everyone to board

And with everyone having wifi now I don't think people would care as much how many they're seated with

I just think the logistical problems should be solvable by a trillion dollar industry given how much more money they could pull in per trip
>>
>>1326575
>There's no reason it should take more than 20 minutes for everyone to board
When was the last time you took an airplane ride, at all?
>>
>>1326578
I've never been but it seems like without regulations there's no reason the boarding process should take very long... Everyone should just walk in and find their seat like a movie theater
>>
>>1326580
Some airlines do that. It doesn't help.
>>
>>1326583
How about at the gate you have assigned seats so everyone is ready with the people in the front going to the back of the plane and et cetera vice verse
>>
>>1326592
That's what they already do

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.