[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 102 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: bikebuygeneral.jpg (106 KB, 617x500)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
/bbg/ - Bike Buy General

Post what kind of riding you will be doing, your height, inseam if you know it, budget, and other relevant details about yourself and your needs, along with a link to your local Craigslist bike page.

Last thread: >>1301653
>>
These two posts have are unanswered from the previous thread

1. >>1312099

2. >>1311981
>>
>>1314012
I'd get the shit out of that. Good condition, good (though old) components, CrMo frame, rack and fender bosses, 2x10. Great all around bike. Price is a little steep for what you'd expect in the first world but as a third worlder myself I imagine decent bikes are pricier in Indonesia. I say get it.

I don't know where people buy second hand stuff in bongland, sorry. For that money I wouldn't get anything new, it'll be shit.
>>
I've got around 2 grand to spend on a bike. What should I get? It's mostly for cardio and way to meet people
>>
>>1314050
what're you thinking you might get?
you're gonna get an autistic wall of text
>>
>>1314067
I have no idea. I'm new to riding. I'm not much of a thrill seeker so I figure most of my rides will be on city streets, bike paths. No trails. I'm 6'2" with a 6 1/2" inseam
>>
I want a road bike, I think, for riding from home to store or taking it to paved trails to ride. I was very sick for a long time and did a lot of nothing and now I simply want to be more active. 5'8" 120lbs 31.5" inseam. Prefer under $200 or maybe under $400 if you can really convince me it would be worth it.

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/d/bicycles/search/bia

There was this specific dealer with a few that looked nice, but I have no idea what I'm looking at
https://norfolk.craigslist.org/search/sss?userid=341435016&min_price=1&max_price=400

There was also this I was looking at that occasionally goes on sale for $100 and reviews seem to be alright - for $100.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/GMC-19-700c-Adult-Denali-Road-Bike-Red/51609909

and where to find more resources on what to look for, what's good, bad, avoid, etc? don't have any cycler friends to just ask
>>
>>1314247
The guy from your first link has some decent bikes, they're all pretty much the same bike only different sizes, kinda overpriced though.
Your second link... just don't. Walmart bikes are crap, no exceptions. Avoid at all costs.

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/bik/d/elizabeth-city-cannondale-cad-2-r200/6860376207.html
This one is right at the bottom of your budget, but it's a little older than the others. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, but there's a higher risk that the components are worn out.

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/bik/d/virginia-beach-scattante-48cm-cross/6860345043.html
This one is newer and nicer, bit more pricier but worth it IMO. It may even be too small for you, though raising the saddle to proper height should be enough.

If you must get one of the bikes from the seller you posted, get the blue Trek (never mind the Lady part). Should fit you the best.

And about bike resources: sheldonbrown.com for general info, parktool.com for repair info.
>>
>>1314257
>but there's a higher risk that the components are worn out.
Like what? Normal things that are made to be replaced or things that are specific frame/manufacturer/would make the bike useless?

What else do you look for on a secondhand/older bike that would make you say absolutely no? (short of a bent frame, I know that much)
>>
>>1314071
kona sutra LTD
>>
>>1314050
Trek Emonda SL5, Emonda ALR 5, or Domane SL5.
Bianchi Sempre Pro, Intenso 105
Giant TCR Advanced or Defy Advanced 2
>>
>>1314009
would a kent road tech be fine for riding on sidewalks, walking trails(light gravel/dirt)? looking to get a cheap bike for now since i won’t have $500 to drop on a fuji til fall probably and need something now that isn’t heavy as fuck because my apartment is on the third floor with no elevator.
>>
>>1314440
post craigslist and height
>>
>>1314458
i’m 5 10 and my cl is shit anything decent is to far away from me
>>
>>1314462
you don't know anyone you could borrow a car off for a day to go and buy a bike?
>>
>>1314466
I don’t drive anymore and no one would wanna go on a 6hr trip just for a bike..a cheap walmart bike is my only option to have a bike for the summer unless something close by shows up on cl
>>
>>1314440
>something now that isn’t heavy as fuck
>kent roadtech
You're gonna want to get something else.
>>
>>1314482
figured it’d be lighter than their “mountain” bikes
>>
>>1314474
what is even your question then
you know it's shit, you don't have any other option
>>
>>1314440
>need something now that isn’t heavy as fuck

Have you ever tried to pick up a walmart bike?

There are probably better big box stores to buy bikes from where ever you live... which would be helpful to post instead of just ignoring advice in an advice thread telling you that your choice is shit.
>>
File: U4YLG.gif (1021 KB, 264x237)
1021 KB
1021 KB GIF
>>1314071
>6 1/2" inseam

This should work
>>
>>1314071
>I'm not much of a thrill seeker
yeah i wouldn't bother with a road bike if you don't want to go fast and enjoy suffering

just get a comfy flat bar bike like a hybrid, there's no need to spend 2k either, 1k gets you something decent, and don't get something with suspension.

A Marin Muirwoods would be my pick. You could do some light touring on that too if you wanted.
>>
Is this just as sketch as China carbon or as ok as.... Taiwanese carbon

https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-cordite-carbon-road-frameset-106064.html
>>
>>1314541
probably legit and so is chinacarbon from a legit manufacturor like one of the fu.
I wouldn't buy that though because the paintjob is hideous
>>
File: FRHOLSP_P1.jpg (120 KB, 950x600)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>1314541
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOLSP/holdsworth-super-professional-carbon-road-frameset

frameset of a uci team
they look pretty damn cool too
>>
>>1314547
Is there duty on frames shipped to burgers
>>
>>1314566
iunno but isn't merlin also in the uk?
>>
>>1314567
I've ordered parts from Merlin before without duty

Although not frames, so I suppose answer should apply to both.
>>
>>1314575
iunno lad, i'm not a burger, but here it's a $400 limit under which they don't bother
>>
>>1314342
Garbage suggestion. The name alone is trashy
>>
>>1314566
I am burger and I bought a frame from Merlin that was on clearance for $500 and it shipped like anything else I’ve bought from them
>>
There are simply too many choices/options/configurations. It shouldn't be this stressful to buy a bike.
>>
>>1314315
Both. Stuff like cables, brake pads and tires are expected to be replaced, but rims or threads around the frame can also wear out and those will be more expensive to replace. As for things to completely avoid:
>cottered cranks
>stem shifters
>27" wheels
>non-aero brake levers
>hi-ten steel frames
come to mind
>>
I'm at least 250lbs and 6'4, am I too fat for a bike? I've been checking hardtail mountain bikes and steel frames, but I'm not sure if it would be enough, want to make sure before i buy
>>
File: Flying Pigeon.jpg (1.62 MB, 2981x2981)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB JPG
>>1314685
Just buy the most sold bicycle (and vehicle) in the world, then. Hundreds of millions of people satisfy all their bicycling needs with it.

The double top tube was designed according to the wishes of Mao Tse Tung to handle the weight of a pig you're carrying to market.
>>
File: img_1769.jpg (1.97 MB, 1936x2592)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
>>1314694
you're really not that big even lad, you'd probably be fine on even a regular road bike
>>
>>1314694
Mountain bikes are designed to safely carry riders up to 220lbs down trails.
If you don't ride down any trails and do no jumps, it'll handle your weight fine.
Even an old road bike with 36 spoke wheels would carry you.
Just stay away from old aluminium (which may have lost its structural strength over time).
>>
>>1314685
that's why most cyclists have at least 2 bikes. For bike numero uno, I think it's best to go with what you enjoy the most, the one that makes you go "fuck yeah" when you ride it. as with cars, there's a lot of weirdness regarding practicality that people are starting to attach to buying a bike, which just leads to getting an "all-rounder" monstrosity that rides like shit. when I first got into cycling, my bike was a light and purdy bianchi that wanted to just fucking rape hills, which was awesome because at the end of the day, crushing hills and shredding descents is all I really give a shit about.
>>
>>1314705
Would a hardtail boardman 22" frame be fine?
>>
What's the best bike to buy for e-cred and bragging rights?
>>
>>1314713
A gunnar stainless touring bike with rohloff, campy, and bamboo wheels.
>>
File: 1377068578872.jpg (462 KB, 816x816)
462 KB
462 KB JPG
>>1314694
bicycle companies are scared of lawsuits, so they underrate the carrying capacity of their frames like crazy. you'll put more wear on anything you get, though, so just make sure to inspect your shit every once in awhile and you'll be fine. the biggest problem that you'll face is that you'll have to get your wheels trued a bit more often, but quality 36h handbuilts will alleviate that problem
>mfw 04:44:44
>>
>>1314713
high-end 80s miyata with full suntour superbe pro
>>
>>1314711
If it's not too old, yes.
>>
>>1314532
Underrated kek
>>
>>1314694
>I'm at least 250lbs and 6'4, am I too fat for a bike?

I'm your size and I ride a Aluminum Frame, 32 spoke wheels, carbon forked road bike. Just get a frameset with 32 spokes and have the rear triple cross laced by your LBS if it is not already. Boom, your ready for the road big dude.

Shimano also make a set of 32 spoke aluminum wheels that you can use right out of the box. Believe the set is 400 (you only will need to redo the back wheel if you buy a new bike that has 32 spokes).

As far as MTBs go, they are designed for jumps and rocks and calamity. So they have more durable and heavier wheels.

My advice on here is going to be unpopular: For a 6'4" 250 lb guy, steel fucking sucks. Steel is real....real fucking heavy.

Take a 61cm roadbike (your size). The Steel one (Surly whatever) would be 32lbs+. The aluminum one with carbon fork is 23 lbs. The carbon one is 19 lbs.

Those 9 lbs make a fuckton of difference. Also try to avoid making your bike an accessory whore and don't put too much stuff on there.

That means tune out the Fagor fenders and baskets and racks brigade that wants to add 15lbs to your bike.
>>
>>1314731
Why not just lose the unnecessary weight on your body rather than gimping out your bike so you end up using it less? The more useful the bike is the more you're likely to use it for getting groceries and stuff instead of taking uber all the time.
>>
>>1314731
thanks man i appreciate the information. I didn't know steel frames are bad, I'd have thought it would be beneficial to the structural integrity of the bike fo heavy people. Would something like this be okay do you think?

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/marin-pine-mountain-1-27-5-mens-hardtail-mountain-bike-2018.html
>>
>>1314050
The All City Mr. Pink (a steel bike) is around 19.5lbs. stock, and can easily shed another 2 pounds via an upgrade to Ultegra, lighter wheels, and some other bits. A CAAD12 (Al) Ultegra is about 16.5 pounds, and still has room to shed weight. A Supersix Evo carbon bike will shave another pound.

Decent fenders and racks will add maybe 2-3 pounds to the bike, as they're made from aluminum.

Your shitty advice is going to be unpopular because you have fuckall idea of what you're talking about.
>>
>>1314738
Steel frames aren't bad. You just stumbled into one of the most popular topics to argue about among cyclists.

Your preferred frame material should be determined by the type of riding you want to do, your budget, and plain what's available to you that fits.

If you buy a new bike and don't want to pay a premium, Alu is fine.
If your budget limits you to used, steel is more versatile if you want to modify the bike and is less likely to have been weakened over time if your bike is really old.
Carbon is a must for competitive riding but more expensive, harder to gauge pre-existing damage on and more likely to get fucked up if you abuse it a lot.
>>
>>1314764
Carbon is a must for non-competitive riding too, it's just that filthy casuals think the only people who ride a lot are paid professionals because somewhere in the back of their minds they think "riding = punishment" I mean why would anyone want to be on a bike for hours at a time unless they got paid?
>more likely to get fucked up if you abuse it a lot.
That doesn't make as much sense as you think, by definition "abuse" is going to fuck up the bike no matter if it's made of wood or gaspipe steel or reynolds meme steel. Crabon has to be treated like crabon, meaning always use a torque wrench, and don't try to attach heavy load bearing elements to the midpoint of the seatstay. The "old carbon fails" meme is a direct result of early antique experimental crabon with fundamental design flaws making it onto the used market where street fixie dirtbags break it and then think the problem is the material.
>>
>>1314777
>Carbon is a must for non-competitive riding too
No. The Dutch grandma riding to the store doesn't need a carbon bike, which your comment would imply.

>by definition "abuse" is going to fuck up the bike
So you would just as well ride a carbon bike with unknown history or after a crash than a steel bike? All steel bikes I own have small dings and dents from the past and I know that I'm safe riding them downhill on cobblestones. I wouldn't do that with a dinged-up carbon frame, which is what my comment implied.
>>
>>1314805
Oh boy here we go again.

It's assumed when we're talking about the relative merits of various design elements that the bike is actually being USED for something. Coasting 30 feet between the butter store and the windmill doesn't count, Mynheer Peeperkorn. You can literally make a bike out of garbage can lids and broomsticks and it would serve your purposes just fine.

>So you would just as well ride a carbon bike with unknown history or after a crash than a steel bike?

I don't buy other people's crash damaged bikes, how often is anyone doing that?
>>
>>1314806
I use my bike. Multiple times a year I disassemble it, pack it in a bag, throw it into the luggage compartment of a long distance bus, ride the bus to another country, reassemble at the bus stop using allen keys, load it up with 20kg, ride 100km a day for 2-3 weeks, fix any issues with the tools I carry, duct tape and zip ties, disassemble it again for the way back, then use the same bike to commute into the city where I lock my bike to a bike stand and others bang their bikes against mine.
that's why I use steel, the lighter weight of carbon wouldn't even do anything for my riding style. Stop pretending one frame material is better than the other, they each serve a purpose.
>>
>>1314814
I like how you went from «steelisreal muh fixe» to «oh it’s all about the same can’t we all just get along»

True facts: frame material doesn’t matter if you don’t care about frame material

If you actually ride, you will strangely enough start to care about frame material
>>
>>1314819
>I like how you went from «steelisreal muh fixe» to «oh it’s all about the same can’t we all just get along»
Can you point out the comment you're quoting?
My initial statement was:

>>1314764
>Steel frames aren't bad.
>>
>>1314814
How difficult is it to disassemble /reassemble a bike and where can I learn how to do that?
>>
>>1314806
>>1314825
t. literally refuses to ride a bicycle for transportation
>>
>>1314836
do you know how to use a screwdriver?

>where can I learn how to do that?
>>1312676
and google, there is a lot of resources and it is all very easy
>>
>>1314848
I could YouTube it I guess
>>
>>1314847
You realize you quoted two different people right?

t. cage free crabon lover
>>
>>1314836
For packing it into the smallest box possible, you only need to take out the wheels, remove the pedals, seatpost, stem, handlebars and fork, as well as rack, kickstand and fenders if you have them.
It can all be done with 2-3 allen keys and maybe a wrench. Just remember how tight the bolts were torqued down and where each bolt was, then reassemble the same way. Oh, and remember that the left pedal unscrews in the opposite direction from every other bolt and screw.
>>
>>1314744
Thanks bro but I decided to go with this. Pick it up tomorrow
>>
>>1315001
That's a decent bike for fire roads and light singletrack, but for the city streets and paved paths you said you were planning on riding on, you're going to get dropped hard by people with road bikes, which will make you miserable if you have a single competitive bone in your body. For slower group rides it'll be fine tho.
>>
>>1315033
I wish the "everyone worships amateur racers" guy (You) would leave this board. Or use a tripcode so I can filter you. I can always tell it's you even when the topic isn't shitposting about muh cat 4.
>>
hello
>>
>>1315039
What in god's name are you talking about, and what does that have to do with someone getting the wrong bike for the style of riding they're going to do?
>>
>>1315041
>the style of riding they're going to do?
They said "for cardio and way to meet people"

Not "to LARP as a bad ass pro team AERO PRO VO2MAX THRESHOLD INTERVALS and bark angrily at people who just want to enjoy the ride"

Again: please go away
>>
>>1315033
where did this dude suggest he was going on club rides? Either way you can throw 32 slicks on any gravel bike and hold on just fine.
>>
File: _20190414_190553.jpg (162 KB, 1079x803)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
7 grand on kijiji

So tempting
>>
>>1315043
Why are you so mad? Was the Sutra your suggestion? Are you feeling personally attacked for some reason? If you're joining cycling clubs to ride with others, they're not going to be particularly happy to have to continually wait for the person who brought the wrong bike, even on a non-drop ride. Getting a road bike to ride on roads isn't about fetishising pharmaceutical experiments, it's about having the proper equipment for the task at hand. It's why DH MTB riders bring DH bikes instead of Venges or trikes. This should be an easy concept for you to grasp without stressing you out so much that you get angry.
>>
>>1315050
No, I didn't recommend any particular bikes and the only person getting emotional here is you. Also, you were asked politely to leave. Please don't make a scene.
>>
>>1315049
Why would you spend $7000 on a used bike?
>>
>>1314744
>Your shitty advice is going to be unpopular because you have fuckall idea of what you're talking about.

This making me lol so hard
>>
>>1315048
>way to meet people
I imagine that means joining some cycling club. The tire width isn't the problem. The geometry and weight aren't great for climbing and the gearing isn't well-suited for flats or descending. It's basically an 80s mountain bike with drop bars and disc brakes, and works really well for that kind of riding, and would make an OK touring bike. As a recreational road bike, I don't think it's a great choice.
>>1315059
Not an argument. Why do you feel the need to keep shitposting if you have nothing useful to contribute?
>>
>>1315063
It was a request, not an argument. You have long since proven that you don't belong here. You belong on /asp/. You only shit up this board with your "everything is about racing" garbage because it's a slow board and you feel you can do whatever you want without consequences.

Again: you are not wanted here. Please leave.
>>
>>1315063
You do realize 90% of group rides are not even at the pace you’re talking about. There are tons of cycling groups that are from online meetups or local wheelmen clubs and they roster multiple a, b, c and very casual no drop rides every week, at least in my area. Not everyone on these rides is riding the latest and greatest road bike nor do you have to ride with a group and meet people.
>>
>>1315073
I'm not necessarily talking about sanic pace, though. I even specifically mentioned no-drop rides. I've just seen too many instances of someone always being the one who is last to the meetup point, gets frustrated, and stops coming. And even though everyone else says they were okay with it, there was occasionally some frustration among the group, too. Sometimes it's a matter of conditioning, and sometimes it's a matter of having the wrong bike. I usually do intermediate no-drop split-group on decent roads, and I've seen people switch to bikes that are better suited for the rides and wind up being much happier because they're going faster with less effort, while the group is happier because we're able to stick together and not have to stop as much or for as long. Once, I accidentally smashed my best friend's old hybridy shitter into a garage on his birthday, bought him an Emonda SL to replace, and suddenly he was the wanker urging everyone else to pick up the pace instead of pushing himself too hard to keep up and being miserable. Wish he hadn't moved away for work, riding with him was fun.
>>
>>1315068
ACK-kun, is that you? What are you doing outside of /a/?
>>
>>1315063
>I imagine that means joining some cycling club. The tire width isn't the problem. The geometry and weight aren't great for climbing and the gearing isn't well-suited for flats or descending. It's basically an 80s mountain bike with drop bars and disc brakes, and works really well for that kind of riding, and would make an OK touring bike. As a recreational road bike, I don't think it's a great choice.

you're absolutely right, and I respect the sentiment in general. Many people should be encouraged to just get a road bike.

>I'm new to riding. I'm not much of a thrill seeker so I figure most of my rides will be on city streets, bike paths.
> It's mostly for cardio and way to meet people

I think you're clearly wrong in this case though. And it's absurd to assume that 'meet people' means doing club or group road rides. I think this guy has made the right call going with a more relaxed bike.
>>
>>1315159
>I think you're clearly wrong in this case though. And it's absurd to assume that 'meet people' means doing club or group road rides. I think this guy has made the right call going with a more relaxed bike.

This. I'm not joining any clubs. I was referring to meeting others out and about. Dont care about going fast. Figure I can still get a decent workout on the Sutra
>>
>>1315257
yeah you did good anon, you'll enjoy it a lot
>>
Guys, I think I just found my new bike. Thoughts on this Bad Boy?
>>
File: casino_royale__shop0460.jpg (534 KB, 1800x1200)
534 KB
534 KB JPG
>>1315523
its stupid
>>
>>1315068
/asp/ is solely wrestling it has nothing to do with bikes
>>
>>1315526
I love the aesthetic. Anything else look like it?
>>
Found one of these in good condition, sold by a boomer. Probably want to upgrade a lot of parts on his.

Should I get this and convert it into a gravel gang bike with aero bars and low frame bags for the ultimate Neo Tokyo randonneur?

Carbon “beam” (the seat tube), alu body, supposed to be comfy as a mofo
>>
>>1315553
Fuck yes, unless it's like $10k
>>
>>1315553
It probably has clearance for 25s at best
>>
>>1315523
Cute, but too expensive as for me
>>
Yo. I have just inherited a big chunk of money. It’s already turned me into a NEET. I want to blow it all on a gravel and go back to working my simple job. What’s the sexiest bike I can get?
>>
>>1315576
Judging by your choice of pic, Bianchi Impulso Allroad.
>>
>>1315523
Memeboy looks great, but I don't think I could ever get used to the lefty bullshit. Also how long until you smash that dual crown fork against your frame?

Haro beasley if you want an all black 27.5er. Also the trim level in your pic costs $1950 USD., the beasley is less than a third of that and the difference can go into upgrades if you really wanted.
>>
>>1315619
That looks cool too. Do you feel the Cannondale is overpriced for what you get? I don't mind paying more for quality.
>>
File: IMG_0254-1024x768.jpg (762 KB, 1024x768)
762 KB
762 KB JPG
>>1315159
>>1315257
I guess I was wrong after all! Enjoy the bike!
>>1315576
Off the peg I'd say the top end Salsa Cutthroat is the best looking gravel bike, but if you have really fat stacks I'd build up an Open UPPER with a custom paint job, SRAM AXS etap Red GT-R V-SPEC // Type 00 or whatever they call it, etc. Or go full custom with Seven, Mosaic, no. 22, Enigma, or Baum. Although the wait for all of those guys is long enough that I'd buy a Cutty just to tide me over.
>>
Based on this criteria, what kind of bike would you guys suggest?
>>
>>1315698
Canondale Quick or equivalent
>>
>>1315698
Kona Dew Plus
Marin Fairfax
GT Tachyon
Trek FX
Specialized Sirrus (Vita if femanon)
Cannondale Bad Boy
Giant Escape
Salsa Vaya
Surly Straggler
All-City Macho Man
Kona Rove
Kona Jake
used old ten speed road bike
used 90s rigid mtb with semislicks
>>
>>1315698
Bianchi Volpe
>>
>>1315698
Same boat as you minus commuting & errands.

Devinci hex is the closest thing I've found so far.
>>
What’s the lightest frame with 32mm tire clearance out there? I’m 6’2, ride 56-58 but could probably downsize to save tiny weight since I’m running aero bars for long rides and use the bike for commuting with the slow gf and like a little bit of relaxed upright posture yeah
Any good Chinese frames with those specs, or what’s the lightest on the market? UPper? A newer, wider clearance road frame?
Why shouldn’t you use road frames for gravel?
>>
>>1315721
That girl is pure photogenicity
>>
realistically, whats the cheapest you can get every part for a single speed bike minus brakes shipped
no need for a detailed list just a ballpark thanks
>>
>>1315721
Who cares? If you're running 32mm there is no reason to be weight weenying. The extra rotational weight pretty much fucks your performance more than splitting hairs over a few grams in the frame. Spend the extra on crabon wheels.
>>
>>1315730
I only know weenie shit but
Aliexpress:
Ace Brompton cranks: $50
Litepro chainring: $12
Alu chainring bolts: $2
Titanium spindle Brompton pedals: $20
260grams freewheel front and rear hub: $80

Sorry I can’t help
>>
File: schworks.png (1.05 MB, 1863x907)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
>>1315721
I think it's a tie between the UPPER and the new S-Works Sagan Roubaix, both of which are under 900g for the frame. I'd go for the latter if you can find it in stock anywhere, the paint job is sexy. Shame it'll not be that collectible because best boy is having a shit start to his year, but it's still hot.
>>
>>1315523
For those of you not familiar with what is possibly the biggest gimmicky bike this side of a yellow buffalo leather wrapped fixie, lets take a closer look at the bike pictured.

Cannondale Bad Boy 1.
MSRP 2k
AL frame with some of the tubes wrapped in rubber. Lefty fork.

Gates Carbon belt drive
Alfine 8 IGH.

And new to the more recent models, integrated lights in the seatpost and headtube/fork. This means plugging in your seatpost to a USB charger or swapping batteries in it. Because clearly the infamous lefty fork with it's matchng hub wasn't proprietary enough.

Obviously this bike is a terrible idea in environments with lots of street crime. The proprietary parts make service or replacement a hideously expensive pain. And of course the price tag. For that price range there's full on racing mountain bikes. Or for commuter bikes and light tourers.

>>1315553
You're well off the reservation and into unique one off builds. I think you're out of your mind. Do it.
>>
>>1315698
I'd start by looking at the gravel bikes, or the newer versions of the 90's mountain bike.
>>
>>1315764
The Bad Boy looks so cool though
>>
>>1315820
You won't look so cool when literally anyone with 700c wheels overtakes you.
>>
Can I have some examples of a good €2000 - 2500 road bike where I can fit 28c tires and disc brakes?

Currently looking at Canyon but I have heard a lot of bad things about their designflaws. Maybe its nothing, I dont know.
>>
>>1315880
Bianchi Impulso Allroad 105
>>
>>1315880
Every modern road bike out there can take 28s. The Venge, for instance, can do up to 32, while the Madone is stuck with 28. Even the Cervelo P5 TT bike can do 28s, as can the Shiv. Bikes like the P5X that can only do 25s are exceptions.
>>
>>1315889
Thanks, looks interesting.

>>1315893
Ah ok, I just needed some names in my budget so I can compare.
>Every modern road bike out there can take 28s
Reason I'm asking for 28c is because I had a road bike before that "could take 28" but that was with almost no clearance at all. Accidently had to go offroad once and it wasnt fun with rocks getting stuck between the tire and fork.
>>
>>1315868
Riding is not a competition
>>
>>1315880
>28c tires and disc brakes
If it has discs it can take 32

>>1315902
Yeah that was a bike with rim brakes though. Also there are some tires (GP4S for example) that are printed as 28 but are really more like 30. There's a rumor that GP4S 700x28 were originally labeled as 700x30 but since the internet their sales plummeted because few tires come in that size, and the default search filters were ignoring them. So they rebranded. Not sure if that's true and I'm not going to google it.
>>
File: 2w6ifw4z62311.jpg (680 KB, 2048x1536)
680 KB
680 KB JPG
>>1315764
You seem to know what you're talking about. How about this one?
>>
>>1315893
If by "modern" you mean by industry standards, being 2016 and newer lol
>>
>>1316059
Not the person you're replying to, but why not simply a Canyon Roadlite (CF or AL) instead. Cheaper and doesn't look quite as retarded.
>>
>>1315880
>Can I have some examples of a good €2000 - 2500 road bike where I can fit 28c tires and disc brakes?
>Currently looking at Canyon but I have heard a lot of bad things about their designflaws. Maybe its nothing, I dont know.

That's essentially all bikes now. The Specialized Roubaix base model is 1900 dollars. That frame, riding on 28s, and powered by a doped up Belgian just won the most famous single day race there is.
>>
File: _20190416_104857.jpg (71 KB, 1064x761)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>1316081
>cheaper

Bruh, I ain't rich
>>
>>1316092
>doped up Belgian
t. butthurt Frenchie
>>
File: head picton ii.jpg (87 KB, 1000x625)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
Does anybody know anything about Head bikes? They make top quality skis and tennis gear and seem to be dipping their toe in the bicycle market. I've been thinking about buying a gravel bike for a while and this one is literally half the price of the Cannondale Topstone with pretty much the same components, drivetrain, brakes, tires, etc. And half the price of Trek and Specialized with even worse components. The color and graphics are sorta unappealing, but for the price certainly worth it. I have a couple of fairly new Specialized bikes and they're not really that special. Also, one is made in Vietnam and the other in some 3rd world child labor slave nation whose name escapes me. The Head bikes are made in the Czech Republic.

http://www.head-bike.com/p/picton-ii
>>
Hey guys, this looks too good to be true. Is this a scam?
https://www.lovegetshops.club/
>>
>>1316104
>€3k
>rich
...isnt this just the normal price for a bike? I see no reason to go under €2k when buying one.
>>
>>1316123
After $1,000 you're basically just pissing your money away
>>
>>1316115
Head doesn't make bicycles, they license their brand name to different bicycle manufacturers, it's pretty much impossible to find out who actually makes them.
They offer good value for the money in the recreational market, but you won't find much info apart from what's on their shitty website.
>>
>>1316117
Good deals
>>
>>1316117
Why is the MSRP for every single Scott bike $888?
>>
>>1316126
Yeah, but you're pissing on the poorfags which is fun.
>>
>>1316140
No it isn't.

>>1316126
That's a matter of opinion. I'd say you aren't too far into diminishing returns until you go beyond $2,000.
>>
>>1316143
I love how people pick arbitrary numbers for diminishing returns.

A bike is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Diminishing returns do not exist!
>>
I know where I can buy bikes here in switzerland but I dont know what qualities to look for

I want a mountainbike. there is no specific thing I use it for. mostly it will be riding in forest or around the city and maybe I will try some more exciting riding one day

anyway I want a cheap one because I am still a student. so what should I look for? size of wheels? sprung or not? I am pretty bulky so I want something durable, thus a mountainbike and not a citybike
>>
>>1316162
it's worth paying to get 8 or 9 speed
7 speed bikes are all round low quality

you'll only have hardtails to look at

wheel size is between 27.5 and 29. the bigger wheels roll a bit faster and the smaller is a bit more nimble
both are fine, 29er might make sense if you're gonna use it for non-mtbing uses

beyond that, thru axles is the feature you want to look for, as well as hydraulic not mech disc brakes. also 2x or 1x front chainrings, not 3x are a mark of better more modern bikes.
>>
>>1316126
Nah, it depends on what you want with your bike. Just want something to ride on to work but dont care about comfort or how quick you'll get there? Buy whatever is in the store.

Care about comfort? Now we're talking geometry.
Care about speed? Now we're talking weight.
Care about tire clearance?

It's all about what you are looking for, you can get a cheap and good geared bike by just following one path. Add more and you have to show that you have money for it.
>>
>>1316166
>Care about speed? Now we're talking weight.
pffftttt fuck off lol
i guarantee that you're atleast 10kg overweight
>>
>>1316167
Did I hit a nerve?
>>
>>1316166
I care about all those things. Money is no object
>>
>>1316155
Of course they exist, but they don't start anywhere.
No matter what metric you use to measure a bike's quality, when you go higher in price, you get less improvement for $100 more.
A friend of mine bought a bottle cage that was 20 grams lighter than the one he had and paid more for that upgrade than I paid for my perfectly usable second hand road bike. That's what people mean by diminishing returns.
>>
>>1316169
lol it's probably hard to find yours
>>
>>1316171
Buy any major brand's top of the line endurance road bike, then.
>>
>>1316081
Nice looking bike. Is Canyon reputable?
>>
>>1316179
Canyon is a huge brand name, I wouldnt be worried.
>>
>>1316155
In roadieland, going above Claris with rim brakes is where diminishing returns start, and after Toray T700S CF + Ultegra you're really in bling territory. The proliferation of dick breaks has kinda fucked everything up due to hydro being the $2k option, mehtacular Spyres under that until like $1.25k, and chinkshit below the $1k mark. That's where I can see $2K being the minimum because mechanical discs are shit. Bastards.
>>1316171
Custom Sarto godmachine.
>>
>>1316181
Too bad they are direct sale only. Can't try one out
>>
So if I use a size (smol) mountain bike I should stick with 27.5"?
>>
>>1316286
I havnt heard too many complaints about it, you can even use their website to see what size would fit you best and probably talk to their support.

Canyon got damn good reviews.

I've always bought my bikes online.
>>
>>1315049
7k on a used bike is nonsense. I'm all for buying used high end bikes but paying more than 50% of it's original price is pointless.

Also is there no way he could have worked out the cable routing on the front any better? Looks weird af
>>
>>1315921
Until someone passes you.
>>
>>1316165
thanks, great info. as soon as I have time I will search for some cheap ones that fulfill these criteria and report back for the final selection
>>
Thinking of getting a trek 520 and touring for 6 months. Never owned a touring/road bike in my life as I've always had a MTB. Thoughts?
>>
>>1314731
>32 pounds for a surly road bike
Dude wtf are you talking about? My 1984 schwinns super sport weighs in a 24 pounds 12 ounces. My 1985 nishiki Cresta, which is a touring bike, clocks in at 29 pounds 8 ounces with 36 spoke wheels on sun cr18 rims. My 1978 Raleigh competition gs weighs in around 25 pounds 8 ounces. The schwinn's 63.5 cm, the nishiki is 62.5 cm, and the Raleigh is 64 cm. The schwinn and the nishiki are both tange #2 and the Raleigh is full 531 double butted.

Please once again tell me how much a new steel road bike weighs. If it weighs more then my 41 year old Raleigh surly would've been out of business years ago.
>>
>>1316323
If anon's talking about a LHT those really do run close to 30 lbs.
>>
>>1316293
Yeah, I just used their Perfect Position System. Pretty handy.
>>
>>1316325
An LHT isn't a road bike, it's a touring bike. This isn't complicated.
>>
>>1316319
good choice
>>
>>1316319
The 520 is a long-proven and extremely capable trekking bike, much like the Salsa Marrakesh, Kona Sutra, and Surly LHT. If you have the money, the Specialized AWOL Elite is worth a look, as it has some nice upgrades, including hydraulic brakes and a dynamo front hub with light. The Jamis Aurora Elite is also a really good value as it's the same price as the 520 but has hydraulic brakes and a nicer drivetrain. Although if you're going to be completely innawoods for a long time or in Mongolia, mechanical disc brakes are preferable because they're easier to repair in the field. But yeah, nobody has ever gone wrong with touring on a 520.
>>
>>1316335
>>1316329
Appreciate the advice as I'm a bit of a bike pleb I'll have a look at those others. Any significant advantages to the hydraulic disk breaks opposed to the mechanical ones? I do a lot of riding but don't actually know much about bikes lmao.
>>
Looking for road bike to take on solo fitness rides and to start group riding. I have a gravel bike with racks and fenders I use for commuting, but it's pretty heavy, would like something lighter and faster when I don't need to carry stuff.
5'7, 29 inch inseam on jeans, current bike is 50cm frame (niner rlt), i could prob be fine on a 52cm though(?)
I was thinking about buying new - looking for something in tiagra/105 range, don't want to spend more than $1500. I guess that means aluminum. I probably don't want the allez since it's too racy and I'm not going for crit races or anything, just group rides, maybe an endurance road bike? Should I save money and buy used - the new 105 just came out so maybe there's advantages to buying new.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/search/bia
>>
>>1316358
I'm not familiar with current road bikes, just here to say your budget is the sweet spot for a good new road bike and you'll have a tough time finding something used that'll fit you.

t. fellow 5'7"
>>
File: MidnightSpecial_BK0705.jpg (181 KB, 1440x959)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
Thoughts on the Surly Midnight Special?
>>
>>1316358
CAAD12 is supposedly not as 'racy' as the Allez according to people on the internet but in my experience it's definitely racy enough for racing. It's also fine for all day on the saddle with friends. I own one and use it for just about everything on the road. The stack for any given size is fairly tall for a frame geared towards racing, so you don't need a massive spacer stack under your stem if you aren't trying to have a flat back at all times. I'm pretty sure the 105 version is around $1,500, I have the Ultegra and it was something like $2,200 new. In my opinion the thing you're missing out on most between those two levels is the carbon seatpost, but you can get a pretty decent one for $100-150 if you shop online.
>>
>>1316179
They're good if nothing goes wrong in the ordering process. If something does go wrong, it's going to be an expensive nightmare.

Canyon is basically like ordering sketchy Chinese garbon, but from a white owned company. Probably a good deal? Probably you'll be very happy? Are you ok with "probably" on a $2000+ purchase?
>>
>>1315921
Fucking REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
>>
Lauf grit: shit meme or the bridge between city cycling and gravel?
>>
>>1316378
absolute meme gravel tier. But seriously, it has fine reviews but I don't think it excels at anything really. The 650b fad is already over, even if it ever started. While I love 27.5 on my mtb, I don't see 650b as a road standard making a comeback anytime soon. For road riding, 700c isn't going anywhere and 26" will be the go to rim for touring otherwise. I would only consider it if you are a shorter rider and already prefer the standard. I would also contend that rolling around on 650b balloon tires is not going to be a fast ride, and I'd honestly prefer flat bars instead of drops for that reason. Looking at your photo too, the compact gearing just doesn't make sense to me. But hey, maybe its not a fad...who knows.
>>
>>1314009
I am this >>1315906 anon. I am leaning towards replacing my '80s ten-speed instead of restoring it. I need something with drop bars, I cannot stand riding with flat bars, and the ability to accept fenders and at least a rear rack. I will use it for commuting. I find aggressive geometry preferable to more relaxed geometry; my current bike is undersized and I have a solid 4" drop from my saddle to handlebars. Something like this https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/aurora.html would be my ideal bike, but I'd like to know if there are better/comparable brands and more inexpensive options. I am 6' 0," I wear 30-32" inseam pants. I can probably top out at $1000 if there are no other options but the closer to $500 the better.
>>
>>1316343
Hydros have much better stopping power and modulation, their self-adjusting design eliminates pad rub and having to adjust the brakes as the pads wear down, and they don't have cable to get funked up with shit.

The downside is that the fluid can boil on long descents, especially if water has been introduced into the system. And how they respond to that depends on whether the brakes use DOT fluid vs mineral oil. DOT absorbs water, so if water gets into the system, the boiling point is lowered. Mineral oil is hydrophobic, so if water gets into the system, you get a water bubble, and the boiling point of the fluid is effectively reduced to 100C. So, if you get water or air into the system, you have to bleed it, which isn't a big whoop except for when you're deep in the bush. But, if the systems are properly maintained, you should only have to bleed them once a year. Still, that's enough for some people to prefer mechanicals for touring, or not want discs at all.
>>
>>1316440
>the fluid can boil on long descents
I keep hearing this nonsense. What are you people doing, riding the brake the whole way down while pedaling? Because under normal conditions you're hitting maximum air resistance at about car speed if you're going down a mountain. You only need to brake at corners.
>>
These threads just make it more difficult to buy a bike. Ignorance is bliss
>>
>>1316441
A lot of people ride their brakes on downhills and brake way the fuck early. They shouldn't, but they do. And loaded tourers beat the shit out of the brakes even when the rider's technique is ok, so the discs and fluid heat up faster. It's about as much of a concern as rim brakes heating up rims causing tubes to go blammo, but it's a valid one.
>>
>>1316422
post a pic of your current bike for reference, and post your craigslist, your best option is likely a better used bike
>>
File: bike.jpg (3.09 MB, 4015x2521)
3.09 MB
3.09 MB JPG
>>1316539
https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/
>>
>>1316546
https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/bik/d/pocatello-panasonic-touring-deluxe-1985/6854985115.html

this is a perfect sport-tourer for u dude
nothing really flash but it IS worth fixing up and maybe upgrading a few things down the line and does even look rather good condition already so you can probably just ride it too
>>
although it's maybe a bit overpriced.
go ride it and take $150 cash with you and haggle from 100 to 120 in person 'cash right now' but give in for 150 if he's stubborn and you like it a lot because that's still not a terrible deal
>>
>>1316450
based and bluepilled
>>
>>1316059
Anon has followed up with the obvious questions. I'm guessing you WANT the the weird proprietary stem they use, because simply slamming the stem isn't enough for some people. If you do go with them, remember that there's a very narrow window to exchange the stem for the one that fits you. Replacements are ridiculously expensive.

>>1316358
Did you test ride the allez?

Some things to consider on a casual search.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/bik/d/plano-womens-specialized-dolce-road-bike/6868198087.html

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/bik/d/allen-focus-cayo-road-bike-shimano/6854410179.html

>>1316363
His best used options are probably womens bikes.

>>1316123
Depends on what you're trying to get, which I don't have a really good read on. Most people are better off with a much cheaper bike and a wheelset upgrade.

>>1316162
Entry level hardtail is what you're aiming at. Wheel size doesn't matter much, but given two equal choices, get the bigger one for better on road use. Good suspension or not at all. Especially important on the suspension is a lockout if you can afford it.

AVOID full suspension. AVOID bad suspension.

I actually happen to have Veloland open right now. Take a look at the low end Trek marlin or Specialized Jynx. Also look at the low end trek FX and DX, for ideas, but they're not worth 100 francs more.

>>1316418
Check again when they're adjustable and have remote lockout. For now, they're a meme. See also: German trekking forks.
>>
>>1316092
>doped up
Every one in every sport where money is involved is doped up.
>>
>>1314009
>dat OP pic
>Stone Arch Bridge
absolutely B A S E D
>>
>>1314009
I assume it may have been you OP asking about the /bqg/ font.
See these posts for details:
>>1314083
>>1314088
And I realized it was actually a slab font that was used. Twentytwelve slab and dharma slab are similar but not exact, but if you search for 'slab' fonts you'll find some very similar to the /bqg/ OP images.
>>
>>1316460
So basically it’s the same meme double standard that the steelisreal crowd uses to disparage crabon. “If I abuse it in ways that are irrelevant and unreasonable, then it will fail just like what I’m used to, but the wreckage will look different and this triggers me the way a brown engineer with an accent triggers a Kansas flyover who shops at walmart”
>>
File: yoroshiku !.jpg (440 KB, 962x1452)
440 KB
440 KB JPG
>>1316664
steal IS real anon
i like carbon as well

don't be a bigot against steel bros just because of a few extremists lest ye become a fringe nutcase yourself
>>
>>1316667
Steel is a fine material stigmatized by its own proponents. Much like cast iron pans on /ck/
>>
>>1316679
lol very true
>>
>>1316664
No, it's just something to keep in mind so that you don't eat shit because of fade. Learn proper braking technique and keep on top of maintenance. I'm not sure why that makes you mad.
>>
Is the Norco Section Steel a decent choice for an all road bike?
>>
>>1316790
>105
>minimal 105 parts all around
>>
>>1316790
>$2,250
>has fucking Spyres
jesus fuck the meme tax is out of control. Also it can only fit up to 35c, and a lot of people are starting to run wider sizes, even requiring them on more organized rides. I'd just get a Salsa Journeyman, Kona Rove, or Marin Nicaso and save over $1k.
>>
>>1316679
Have plenty of steel in my life, all of it rusted to shit unless it's coated in a layer of oil or rust proofing.
>>
I wanted to buy Canadian but everything is so goddamn expensive here
>>
>>1316800
To be fair, he don't need more than 28c. If he for some reason think he will go a lot of wood path and offroad dirt and shit then hes out of luck on the bike as a whole anyway.
>>
File: hyouge-mono___-7-kero.jpg (24 KB, 376x336)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>1316800
>even requiring them on more organized rides
>no anon i'm sorry, your 35mm tyres are too slow for this casual meme ride because brand neberson said so

wat the fug lol
>>
I am in a country that the only bike shops that speak my language are Specialized.
So I am effectively limited to them. I'm looking for something that xc and commuting in rough terrain. Was thinking the Rockhopper Pro (1k usd) but wondering if I should stretch to Chisel comp?
Advice appreciated
>>
>>1316829
Yeah, the guy who organises the "Our Mother the Mountain" rides is requiring 38c, and the Skull 120 is 42c minimum. Basically the "gravel grinds" are turning into XC rides. Except that they think that XC bikes are overkill.
>>
>>1316838
Specialized is an awesome brand
>>
>>1316838
Id get the rockhopper. It's one of the most iconic mountain bikes of all time. Plus you said it's for commuting over choppy stuff which sounds right up it's alley.
>>
>>1316790
looks cool as shit but it's about 500 dollars overpriced over some other steelie brands. Lots of high end steel bikes with carbon fork, 105, and discs. Buy the one that's the best value that you like the look of.

Marin and All-City might be worth taking a look at. Norco makes great bikes though.

Unlike the other anon I wouldn't be worried about any of the specs.
>>
>>1316838
Specialized has a price premium, but they're one of the founders of mountain biking. You're not really limited at all.

As far as which one, it's pretty much all suspension. Rockshock recon RL vs Judy gold. Something like 600 MSRP difference. Unless you're going to be doing serious offroad, I'd go with the cheaper one, as the Recon is still a very very good entry level offroad fork.
>>
>>1316460
noted as a reason why discs are bad (boils under normal operation)
>>1316790
Rigid 90s mtb with semi slicks
>>
>>1316838
I seriously don't see much difference between the two bikes, except that the chisel has a slightly shorter chainstay so it'll be slightly more nimble. The Judy is a slightly nicer fork, maybe? Both forks are 100mm. The MT-501 brakes are nicer than the MT-200...I guess? Oh, uh, the Chisel uses 148/110 thru axles instead of 141/100 QR on the Rockhopper, which is...cool? Christ, this is the kind of thing that makes posts like >>1316450 happen. The biggest fundamental difference between the two is TA vs QR.
>>
>>1314009
>Urban/Trail/Getting around my city (I live in the city pictured in OP)
>5'7"
>not sure
>want something with a pretty upright riding position.
>>
>>1317147
oh, my bad, I'm in Minneapolis
>>
>>1317147
Kona Dew Plus
Marin Fairfax
GT Tachyon
Trek FX
Specialized Sirrus (Vita if femanon)
Giant Escape
Cannondale Quick

Minneapolis is based, you are lucky to live here.
>>
>>1317167
Why are you recommending shit with aluminum forks?
>>
>>1314702
Where can I get this?
>>
>>1317195
On alibaba you can buy 150 of them for the price of 1 high end road bike.
>>
>>1315689
>Salsa Cutthroat is the best looking

This is so ugly I can't even
>>
>>1317147
By trail, you mean on road, right? You're looking for something about size 17 in MTB, 54 on road. A small size M or sometimes a large size S for compact geo frames.

You have superb used options. Unless you're a clueless mechanical idiot, you should take one of them.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/bik/d/inver-grove-heights-1996-scott-arapahoe/6855975921.html
Classic 90's mtb.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/bik/d/saint-paul-cannondale-hybrid/6867212733.html

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/bik/d/saint-paul-jamis-aragon/6868969792.html
Heavier commuter, more of a trekking bike.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/d/minneapolis-1970s-motobecane-mirage-10/6861916702.html
This is an old steel 10 speed type.

This is just to give you a gist of what you should be looking for.
>>
>>1317203
Hey, some people LIKE the margarita and daquiri beach bar look.
>>
>>1317206
For me it’s the over size mtb geo and godamn the fork is ugly
>>
>>1317195
>>1314702
There used to be one of these perpetually locked up in front of the $5500/month-for-a-1BR building near here. Lately there's been some weird custom cargo bike in its place though.
>>
>>1317218
There was a startup that was enthusiastic about bringing them to the US market in mostly original spec during the hipster craze, but their website 404's now.
>>
All the local advice I'm getting from friends and LBSs is to go hybrid but the general consensus here is that they suck. Is the hybrids are shit just a meme like Starting Strength is shit is just a meme on /fit/?
>>
>>1317300
They’re casual as fuck, you’re on a board of enthusiasts, of course casual stuff is going to get shat on.
>>
>>1317300
Hybrids are the Kia's of bicycles. Normies recommend them, normies buy them, but enthusiasts have other priorities.
>>
>>1317301
So if I'm only doing this as a hobby in addition to running, lifting etc... a hybrid is fine?
>>
>>1317308
Yes, the whole point of hybrids is that they're "fine". Just fine.
>>
>>1317318
Ok thanks. Think I found something that'll work
>>
>>1317338
Usually when people speak about hybrids they mean flat bars and front suspension, that's more of a gravel bike (which is far better in my book because carbon fork and drop bars). Way more versatile. Go for it.
>>
>>1317306
It's more like Kias if 40 percent of the Kias were fucking yugos, and normies couldn't tell the difference.

>>1317308
It's good enough for short range casual riding, and you can convert them into commuters reasonably enough. For any kind of performance, there are better choices. What I see a lot of, is someone gets a hybrid, figures out what kind of cycling they REALLY want and why a hybrid sucks at it, and then gets a more serious bike.

>>1317338
My bro has one of those. It's outstanding.
>>
>>1317224
That was a run by a hipster retrogrouch political activist named Bray-Ali, who tried to run for Los Angeles City Council. Then it was uncovered that he was posting on banned reddit subs or something like that, and everything cratered.

>>1317195
The Flying Pigeon is a chinese knockoff off of 100 year old Raleigh roadsters. I would suggest looking at some of the more modern versions of the English roadsters, as they have features like brakes that actually work, standardized part sizes, ect. Although most of them aren't rated to carry pigs to market. Except maybe the Rivendel Atlantis.
>>
>>1317203
What kinda gravvy bike looks good to you?
>>
>>1317191
Anon can get one of the higher end models of the ones I listed that come with carbon forks if he wants to spend the money. He wants something to get around the city with an upright position so a hybrid is his best option.
>>
>>1317300
Don't listen to the anti-hybrid memefucks. I am a very serious cyclist. I have 5 bikes. One of them is a hybrid and I love it. Just don't get one with a suspension fork. The ones recommended in >>1317167 are all good hybrids.
>>1317343
Hybrids have flat bars yes, but plenty have rigid forks. The kind with front suspension are indeed garbage.
>>1317338
You couldn't possibly make a better choice. I have worked at two LBSs (and as such have ridden a LOT of different bikes in my life) and the Vaya is one of my two favorite bikes I've ever ridden in my life. It's a cyclocross/touring bike, not a hybrid.
>>
Are there bikes similar to Marin Pine Mountain below 1k USD but without Boost QR hubs? I thought it would make a great bike with a second set of wheels for tarmac, but it's fucked with these hub dimensions
>>
>>1317436
You might be able to find something that interests you from Salsa, Surly, or Kona. Check the bikes on their websites.
>>
>>1317435
>The ones recommended in >>1317167 are all good hybrids.

Did you actually check the specs on those? Are you seriously recommending shit with an aluminum fork?
>>
>>1317419
>>
>>1314009
I'm looking to get into cycling, mainly to commute to work (3 miles away) but also to have fun and get in shape. I'm 6'8" and roughly 400 pounds (I know I'm a fat ass). I'm not exactly sure of my inseam length, but I usually wear 32 or 34 pants. There isn't anything close to my size on my local craigslist, and I don't really have a way of driving far, so I'm trying to find stuff on eBay. I'd like to keep it under $450 total.
>>
>>1317439
The closest thing would be Kona Unit I think. But I would have to add a rear derailleur, single speed isn't that practical. I have 2,1" tyres on my aluminium bike currently, but it's still harsh at 32psi on the kind of "roads" I usually traverse. It might be part of the fun, but it becomes annoying after long enough, that's why I feel like wider tyres will be an upgrade. I don't like the fact of going over 1k usd but if it's for bike that will be "perfect" then I guess it's worth it.
>>
>>1317475
That first one is a little out of my budget with shipping costs. I'm also a little worried about the small road bike tires being able to handle my weight. Would something like this be good? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trek-730-Mutitrack-Hybrid-Bicycle-23-Used/254156460609?hash=item3b2ce7d241:g:zgEAAOSwHPdcJ7XL
>>
File: 20180309_154516.jpg (346 KB, 908x1210)
346 KB
346 KB JPG
>>1317442
I wish I had the money to buy the SL6, eventho I bought 2x ALR.
>>
>>1317469
REEEALLY slim pckings with your size and budget. This one seems to be in decent shape, but unless you're in Philly, you'll have to talk them into shipping it to you first:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-80s-Univega-Sportour-Tall-65-cm-Retro-Road-Bike/264286868908?hash=item3d88b995ac:g:hw0AAOSwHcFbxlvH

Spend the rest of your budget on getting it fixed up, it'll need better brake pads, wheels trued, modern pedals, maybe tires, and you may need to switch the saddle. All in all, comfortably within your budget even if you let a shop do it.
Otherwise, in your specific situation, buying a new bike in your size online isn't out of the question. For $450, you won't get anything good, but there's nothing that's really good used on ebay either.
>>
>>1317469
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUNgZ_aRRL8&ab_channel=ClintGibbs
>>
>>1317483
It's much too small for 6'8" and having one that at least fits reasonably well is the most important.
>>
>>1317489
One new bike I was looking at was the Giant Escape 3, they have an XL model that is supposedly good for riders up to 6'7".
>>
>>1317493
That one's a very good choice.
1" over the limit isn't a problem, you may have to spend another $30 or so on a longer stem if it feels too crammed. Replacing it would be piss easy and all you need is an allen key.
>>
>>1317497
I actually just found this about an hour away from me: https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/bik/d/grand-rapids-68cm-miyata-two-ten/6854447412.html

Again, the skinny road tires kind of worry me.
>>
>>1317487
Nice bro. I hope you are digging them
>>
>>1317498
You'll need a floor pump with a pressure gauge and make sure to keep them at their rated max pressure. But those are 32mm tires, they aren't "skinny road tires" at all. 32's hold a lot of air between rim and road.
>>
>>1317498
holy shit get this one
>>
>>1317501
Sorry, I'm still new to cycling obviously so I'm pretty ignorant.
>>1317504
Do you think it would hold my weight?
>>
>>1317506
>Do you think it would hold my weight?
Old steel road bikes with 36 spoke wheels that can still fit wider tires (such as this one) are bulletproof. You won't find a more stable bike within your budget.
>>
>>1317498
Holy shit that guy is either retarded for wanting to sell that or he finally plunged for a tallguy custom.
>>
Poorfag college student, want a bike to get around on (suburban) steets and trails this summer. May also possibly take bike back to the city with me when the school begins in the fall, not sure yet. 5'9" and my budget is $200-300
>>
>>1317578
post local craigslist
>>
>>1317578
Forgot to mention, I also want it for cardio too. I already lift so im not completely out of shape, but I defintrly need to do more.
>>
https://www.gumtree.com/search?search_category=all&q=Road+bikes&tq=&search_location=Liverpool

I've got around £600 to buy with, I'm 5 ft 10 and have no idea what's good. Would appreciate the help
>>
>>1317584
what sort of riding do you want to do? On road? off road? fast? comfy? commute?
>>
>>1317585
On road mainly, thinking of working for deliveroo at some point so will need something good for that. Have a mountain bike already for off road stuff.
>>
>>1317588
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-razor-vr-road-bike-2019-sora/
>>
>>1317469
Ebay's not coming up with anything. Try direct sellers. They have some 29'ers in 23 in your price range.

>>1317498
Looks like a made in japan miyata 210, about 1981 or 1982 or so. It's the only one made in your size in their entire lineup. It's not a racing bike, but this is close to the height of Japan's steel bike power level.

The price is so so, but it looks to be in outstanding condition. Even if he won't move on price, ask for things like a saddle that fits better, maybe a stem swap.

If you want to go old steel 10 speed, this is the obvious and probably only choice. Whether you buy it or not, you should 100 percent talk to the guy. He obviously has a bunch of other bikes in his garage, and if he's stoopidtall, he's got a very good chance of having something else suitable for sale, even if this one isn't.

>>1317506
>Do you think it would hold my weight?
I'm not going to guarantee a thing at your weight, but those are some serious wheels, and this was Miyata's largest frame. The only thing stronger would be double wall MTB rims and loaded touring rims.

Learn proper riding technique, and learn how to use a spoke wrench.

>>1317554
Given the restoration work and the leather sprung saddle in one pic, I'd suspect this was his primary bike and that he's upgraded.
>>
>>1317588

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/trek-navigator-200-adults-unisex-mountain-bike-in-fully-working-order./1337228877

Might be a bit small. Throw in a front rack or basket and a rear crate.
>>
>>1317592
>Might be a bit small
It's a mountain bike. Frame heights are different with them. This one is almost certainly too large for 5'9".
>>
>>1317593
>>1317592
It also has all the markings of a shit bike. Dork disk, suspension seat post, thickly padded saddle, adjustable stem, cheap suspension fork. This is a shit, slow, bicycle. Stop giving advice.
>>
>Post what kind of riding you will be doing

Solo recreational, cardio, mostly on road, some light off road

>your height

6'2"

>inseam if you know it

34"

>budget

2,500 to 3000

Looking to buy new
>>
>>1317595
Why would you prioritize speed over portage and rain gear for a delivery rider? You're not going to suggest full on road bikes are you? Sure the fork is terrible. But if you see better shit, feel free to post it.
>>
>>1317605
I already posted a better bike, there's no reason why a road bike with 28mm tires and fender mounts wouldn't be better. Deliveroo uses backpacks, so you don't need a rack.
>>
>>1317579
https://southjersey.craigslist.org/d/bicycles/search/bia
>>
>>1317612
This one is really good and should fit you. 29 inch tires roll well, for more on road use you simply need to buy a set of slicks:
https://southjersey.craigslist.org/bik/d/atco-scott-sportster-mountainbike/6859875426.html?lang=de

If you want something that is less good, but also cheaper:
https://southjersey.craigslist.org/bik/d/staten-island-1990s-cannondale-sm-light/6830817013.html?lang=de

My favorite if you want a commuter:
https://southjersey.craigslist.org/bik/d/marlton-raleigh-port-townsend-like-new/6866078518.html?lang=de
>>
Looking for a cyclocross wheelset for cheap. How does this ebay find seem?
Ebay.com/itm/Easton-EA70X-Cyclocross-Bicycle-Wheelset-700c-Tubular-Rim-Brake-9x100-10x130mm/293043853856?hash=item443ac65a20:g:5ogAAOSwV25croRu

Any good recs for new wheels?
>>
Thinking of buying this https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520-road-bike-sora-id_8377757.html thoughts?
>>
>>1317654
good deal. Full Sora and carbon fork blades.
>>
>>1317654
>50x39x30 road triple
what is this, the fucking 90s?
they're deliberately speccing that to make their more expensive bikes appealing
index shifting a triple fucking sucks

get a road bike with a 50-34 compact double chainset
>>
File: cutthroat2.jpg (244 KB, 1200x899)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
Talk me out of pulling the trigger on this
>>
File: 1528235837635.jpg (453 KB, 1280x720)
453 KB
453 KB JPG
>>1314009
are "Continental Speed King 2" good tires for speed, like, high speed?

>>1315523
that fork looks silly

>>1315068
>>1315114
kek, ACK confirmed for being a loser and getting triggered about the concept of racing
>failed at scanlation
>failed at bodybuilding
>failed at racing
oh no no no
>>
>>1317876
>anime watching freak thinks everyone is some random guy they argued with about cartoons once
>>
>>1317499
1 year of daily use, best bike I've ever owned. 28c tires in summer, 40c studded in winter, 50c for offroad for some fun.
>>
>>1317877
anime website.
>>
>>1317880
at least its always easy to ignore any posts by them. its always just irrelevant spam or shitty baits if i ever read something that has an anime picture attached
>>
>>1317885
Hi plebbit!
>>
>>1317888
anime posters are also often brainlets that can only post old memes when someone tells the truth about them.
>>
>>1317811
it's notable because Sora is now the highest spec shimano set that comes with an alpine triple.
>>
>>1317891
cope
>>
>>1317908
it's so utterly pointless when you can just run a 48/32 or 46/30 subcompact double if you need the low end, super wide cassettes are super common and i'm relatively sure those road triples with STIS aren't evne going to play nice with lower grannies which might be useful for touring.

it's utterly retarded.

I am convinced it's only specced because BTWIN recognises that sora is very good and they want to incentivise people to spend more on 105
>>
I'm looking for one of those "all-road adventure" type bikes with more of a road focus. Also, not Asian made
>>
>>1317908
The marin 4 corners also runs that alpine triple. But that bike is marketed as an all road bike not just gravel and bikepacking.

I like the idea of a do anything bike with a 50t up front so it isnt a slowboi on the roads.
>>
>>1317918
Marin 4 corners we are currently having an autistic fight about its chainrings.
>>
New 2018 Kona Jake The Snake for $1200 to commute 14 miles each way? Is this a good deal? I haven’t ridden a bike in 20 years, but I need the exercise, and the bus is not reliable enough.
>>
File: mason-bokeh.jpg (145 KB, 880x587)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>1317918
Mason Bokeh
>>
>>1317927
Thanks. I like this color and the price is just right
>>
>>1317926
>so it isnt a slowboi on the roads
lol get over yourself
46-11 is the same gear as 50-12
48-11 is bigger
both are WAY bigger gears than 50-13 if that's your reference point

think about that.

having a subcompact isn't going to slow most riders down at all, especially if they aren't running fast 25mm slicks or doing group rides and trying to draft and spin down hills
>>
File: Salsa-Cycles-Warroad-1.jpg (384 KB, 1911x1274)
384 KB
384 KB JPG
>>1317918
The Salsa Warroad should work
>>
>>1317913
u mad
cuck
seething
>>
Need opinions on these aesthetics
>>
>>1317988
Have only heard good about the Diverge.
>>
>>1317927
>>1317950
I thought these used taiwanese frames with shimano
>>
>>1317918
>Also, not Asian made
so... ~$1500 on a frameset?
Gunnar
>>
I want to buy a bike for touring fairly cheap in the NYC/fairfield county area, hopefully under $600.
https://newyork.craigslist.org/search/fct/bik
Any help? I plan to do pretty much entirely on road but some light off-road capability would be great
>>
>>1318006
Shit, that's expensive. I guess Asian parts are ok
>>
>>1318026
>▶
What is your inseam? We won't know what size bike to recommend with out this.
>>
>>1318042
Fit is all over the place between brands. Only way is to go to your LBS
>>
>>1318042
29-30in is what I wear for pants inseam, sitting height of 35".
>>
>>1317918
everything is Asian made tho. I think that it's now impossible to build up a bike without using Taiwanese shit.
>>
>>1318044
Will an LBS even sell a bike + fit for $600? My LBS charges $150-$200 for just a fuckin fit
>>
>>1318050
Depends. Do you want the correct size frame, stem and saddle height? Yes
Do you want them to measure your anus circumference with lasers? No
>>
File: picture-1.png (19 KB, 592x270)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>1318044
It actually doesn't vary that much across brands, especially when it comes to older bikes. They are measured from the center of the crank to the top of the seat tube.

I am 6'4" with a 34 inch inseam. I rider a 61-64 cm frame. All I have to do is measure a seatube from C to T and I know if it will fit me. For modern bikes with a sloping top tube it is a little different. I still ride the same size frame but the C to T will be shorter. My 61cm lemond has a C to T of 585mm but is a "virtual 61" with whatever bullshit the sloping geometry uses, I think it is top tube length.
>>
Thinking of buying this https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-500-disc-road-bike-black-sora-id_8554410.html

Any good?
>>
>>1317985
*snap*
>>
>>1318054
I'm 6'2 with 34" inseam and some places recommend L and others XL.
>>
Best bikes without obnoxious branding?
>>
>>1318107
Define "obnoxious branding"
>>
>>1318122
Big font logos all over the frame
>>
>>1318124
The mid 2000s "I'm too cool for branded goods" hipster movement discovered that steel frames meant smaller fonts. You can pretty much buy anything in steel and the font isn't legible from more than 20 feet away.

By the same token, avoid crabon and aluminum because the tubes are bigger.

You could buy titanium but mid 2000s hipsters are supposed to eschew flashy stuff like a $8000 bicycle, so...
>>
>>1314009
Not gonna read through the whole thread but if any of you want a budget 26" BMX cruiser DO NOT BUY A HARO DOWNTOWN 26, One of the biggest pieces of shit ive ever had in my dirty garage. fuck this bike
>>
>>1317918
EU or US. Start looking inside there, because of shipping. And you might as well consider the bespoke frame options.

>>1318027
Perhaps you might stick to Taiwan or possibly Japan, as they treat their workers like free range livestock. Which is far better than what the Chinese get.

>>1318052
Don't underestimate the value of a good ass o meter reading.
>>
All City Macho Nan and Space Horse

Which is the better bike?
>>
>>1318274
>All City Macho Nan and Space Horse
>Which is the better bike?

space horse but realize you are paying a 500 dollar cool hipster guy tax with that brand. not the worst but be aware.

Personally I'd get a Mr. Pink (classic road bike).
>>
>>1318293
Ok, thanks. I love Reservoir Dogs
>>
>>1318047
>>1318026
Anyone? I'm 5'7" if that's also important.
>>
>>1318300
Sorry but your CL is rather shitty, everything seems to be too shit, too good, overpriced, or a combination or those.
>>
>5’ 3”
>cycle on paved trails but would like to commute to work
>currently use regular pedals but I want to get into clipless
>interested in a road or touring bike, have been using my mom’s old drop handle bike for a while

I was looking at bikes on Craigslist and found this touring Cannondale. The price would fit my budget really well, but I was wondering what to do about the pedals if I buy it. Do cyclists generally go to a bike store for that or is finding pedals (like Rei) and putting them on something a novice would be able to do?

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/bik/d/mystic-cannondale-t800-touring-bike/6866362102.html
>>
File: blancharde-1550850144.jpg (233 KB, 1368x1365)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
>>1318027
lol every time
>i don't want made in asia
>i want made by white people in the first world
>o-oh, it's more expensive?
>I guess it doesn't matter
>>
>>1318305
putting pedals on could not be easier
you just get a 15mm spanner, or a pedal wrench, and thread them towards the front of the bike

pedal threads are universal, ANY pedal will fit. You can absolutely buy them online or from whereever.

if you want to be really good, buy a lil tub of grease (any, wheel bearing, any) from an autoparts store and wipe a little on the threads so they'll be easy to remove later, but you don't have to do that.
>>
>>1317928
sounds like waste of money if thats the only thing you will use it for
>>
>>1318303
That blows. I'd be willing to drive anywhere in CT or southern NY to also buy a bike.
More broadly, what should I look for in a budget touring bike? I have no clue how to differentiate bikes past road/mtb/hybrid, etc.
>>
>>1318049
the frame could be made somewhere else but if it has shimano or other known brand components in it then those are made somewhere in asia
>>
>>1318316
I should be fine with that then. Is the bike worth it?
>>
>>1318312
I don't think it's too much to ask for a handmade North American or European bike for $2000.
>>
>>1318101
>6'2" with a 34 inch inseam
You ride an xl
>>
>>1318101
I’m 6’3”, measure about 35” to my sitbones and I ride a 58, with traditional geometry a 60 could work too if I wanted a less aggressive position.
>>
File: 20170728_150050_001.jpg (2.65 MB, 2988x5312)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB JPG
>>1318316
>Pedal threads are universal
Pedal threads are NOT universal. There are 1/2 inch diameter and 9/16 inch diameter pedal threads, those are not interchangeable.
>if you want to be really good, buy a lil tub of grease (any, wheel bearing, any) from an autoparts store and wipe a little on the threads so they'll be easy to remove later, but you don't have to do that.
GREASE EVERY FUCKING THREAD ON A BIKE GOD DAMNIT! EVERYONE OF THEM! IT'S PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT MAKE MY LIFE HARDER!

>>1318336
When I looked at the link you provided there was some nice stuff in the "near by craigslit" or whatever that is at the end of the page. I don't know how nearby they were though.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/d/brooklyn-panasonic-pt-3500-touring-bike/6862946648.html

The only true touring bike I found on there, pretty gnarly, I love panasonic bikes.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/d/brooklyn-trek-18-speed-touring-bike/6845276064.html

Vintage trek, classic bike right there, Not quite a true touring bike but could handle some small loads like groceries and be great for commuting and getting around town. No low riders on the fork but could hold rear rack and fenders. And it says 420 on it and that is THE WEED NUMBER DUDE AND TODAY LMAO

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/d/brooklyn-trek-touring-commuter-bike/6866316979.html

Slightly nicer and more modern then the 420 the 460 would also be a good choice. Though once again side pull brakes instead of cantilevers and no low riders on the fork. Could still handle a rear rack and fenders.
>>
>>1318371
thanks for the recs brah.
>>
Thinking of buying this https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rc-500-disc-road-bike-turquoise-sora-id_8554411.html
Thoughts?
>>
File: 1408108364517.jpg (10 KB, 209x182)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>1314009
So I let my crappy bike get stolen and haven't been riding for a while, but now i got a new job I can easily commute to back and forth, It's about a 3 mile bike ride, pretty nice path (174 feet incline though to get home which is kind of gay to have to come home to) So I want to get a good bike for commuting. It'll basically just be a cruiser for me (probably no more than 15 miles round trip in case I want to bike somewhere more exciting on an off day). How much should I expect to spend on something nice? (Can be used).

For reference, I'm 5'11 and ~150 lbs. I was thinking of spending no more than 500, but less is more to me right now.
>>
>>1318957
Oh, and I live in Boulder, Colorado. So the bike market is pretty good up here at the least. But also weather can get real shitty during the rainy and winter seasons. Not a big deal to me, I still have a car and all, but just wanted to throw that out there.
>>
File: _20190421_155104.jpg (66 KB, 1080x1684)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
My LBS only carries these brands. Should I look elsewhere?
>>
Bump limit reached, new thread:
>>1319099

>>1319099

>>1319099

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.