[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 88 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: bqg7.png (969 KB, 730x750)
969 KB
969 KB PNG
/bqg/ - Bike Questions General

Last thread: >>1308610

/n/ Discord: https://discord.gg/z5pdNh2

Resources:
https://sheldonbrown.com/
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
https://booksdescr.com/item/detail/id/1444747

If you want help picking out a bike to purchase, ask in >>>/n/bbg
>>
File: feltti.jpg (267 KB, 1210x886)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
My 2015 Felt 29er was stolen. Feels bad man. Technically it wasn't that special, but I loved that bike and rode it daily for 3 years.
Now I have to buy a new bike but none of them look as good.
My beef is that new bikes all have a matte paint job. What's worse they often have neon colors.
I hate that shit. New bikes look so bland compared to the frame my Felt had.
Look at how she shines.
>>
>>1312679
I'm sure there's someone making a hardtail in gloss paint. Otherwise craigslist or equivalent will likely turn up something for you.
>>
Where can I watch Paris Roubaix this Sunday? I don't have access to Eurosport. I'm in Mexico if it's important. Thanks
>>
>>1312976
http://www.steephill.tv/classics/paris-roubaix/#live
>>
File: cape.jpg (45 KB, 350x350)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
Are bike ponchos legit? I already have a good rain jacket but I always overheat when I wear it.
>>
>>1312679
Check pinkbike.com/buysell
>>1312996
Looks pretty meme tier to me
>>
What's a good bike to get for my soon to be girlfriend?
>>
>>1312676
my twist shifter is stuck and will shift up but i can’t get it to shift down to 1-3 gears. how can i get it to shift into lower gears?
>>
>>1313004
a cute mixte like pic related
>>
>>1313004
only the best for your princess
>>
>>1313004
One of Surly's cargo bikes might do the trick. When I plan on making a girl my gf a fast getaway is definitely key, but kudos for keeping it bike themed. You could definitely get their new e-bike model too, much quieter than a gas powered engine so there's definitely a stealth advantage there too. There's some other brands around with large front cargo bins, but if you have to split the package into pieces, other cargo bikes with multiple smaller spaces might might fit the bill. Good luck.
>>
>>1312676
LINK THE NEW THREAD IN THE OLD THREAD YOU NIGGER
>>
>>1313004
If she is new to cycling then something like a Specialized Vita, Kona Dew, Trek FX
If she is already a cyclist, then let her pick it out
>>
>>1313020
YOU LINK IT YOU DOWNTUBER
>>
>>1312979
Thank you
>>
My helmet dropped from saddle to the pavement. The helmet manual said to throw it away if I drop it. Are they being legally safe, or did I significantly reduce the protection factor just from that one drop?
>>
>>1313043
A combination of both. There usually needs to be weight inside a helmet to compress the foam use up the shock absorbing properties of foam. Think about dropping a shipping peanut, and dropping a shipping peanut with a bowling ball on top.

On the other hand, dropping the helmet might result in some other damage that might harm the helmet.

If there's no apparent scuffs in the shell or any cracking, the answer is "probably"
>>
Convince me not to use my 1k tax return to buy a trek dual sport 4
>alu frame
>2x10 deore derailleur and cassette
>meme fork
>Bluetooth connectivity
>that weird accessory mount standard
Already own a duals sport 8.5, have used it for years and it's breaking down from brakes to bearings, and the area I ride around is much nicer to ride with a hardtail, I've also tried a bianchi cruiser/beach bike with no suspension and preferred the 8.5
>>
>>1313043
You'll be fine unless the drop was from saddle on a bridge to pavement below it
>>
>>1313058
Buy an FX instead since it has a rigid fork you absolute retard, suspension does not fucking belong on hybrids
>I've also tried a bianchi cruiser/beach bike with no suspension and preferred the 8.5
That's because cruisers are fucking moronic regardless of what kind of fork they have
>>
>>1313075
It has a carbon fork, will durability suffer if I regularly hop on and off curbs and sidewalks during my rides?
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.15 MB, 768x768)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
What kind of bike should I be looking for as someone who is 6'8" and 400 pounds? I'm basically looking to commute to work (3 miles from my house). I'd like to keep it under $600 if possible.
>>
I've been looking to buy a "gravel/adventure" bike for awhile now, basically I want a steel frame, mounts for dick brakes, lots of tire clearance, and lots of mounts for racks/fenders etc. Here's my question, why the hell does it seem like every manufacturer is over charging for their bikes? I'm seeing Sora components on $1500 dollar bikes. I would preferably like to go with a 2x10 drive train, and I'm needing to spend in the ball park of $1600-2000 for that. Am I wrong for thinking that's ridiculous? I know there's more to a bike then the drive-train, but compared to road offerings based on drive-trains it seems like you're paying at least $3-400 more for these gravel/adventures bikes. Is this a tax for buying the new meme bike or are they putting money in elsewhere I'm not understanding?
>>
>>1313091
It's all memetax. You might be able to save some money by rolling your own Soma Fog Cutter, but not a significant amount, especially when factoring in assembly time.
>>
>>1313091
buy a cross check. dick brakes are for dicks.
>>
>>1313091
Checkpoint AL 4 is $1440 during the sale, usually $1540. OH NO AN ALLOY FRAME AND A CARBON FORK

just buy it you retard
>>
>>1313077
no
>>
is there anything wrong with wearing a ballistic helmet for a bicycling helmet
>>
>>1313091
JARI 2.3 dude
520 chromoly frame & fork
very sensible gearing, 44/28T subcompact & 12-36 cassette, being 9 speed the pull is the same and it can run a 9spd shadow mtb mech.
reasonable wheels
3 sets of cage bosses on the triange, and double bosses on the fork too for bikepacking cages, and double bosses on the fork ends and at the rear.

$1000

If you want hydos, 11spd, thru axles or tubeless off the bat, it's going to be a lot more.

But I think it looks like a very decent entry level steel meme bike.
>>
>>1313135
yes, too much weight for speeds, youll hurt yourself more than without a helmet, just buy a bike purpose helmet
>>
>>1313135
ballistic helmets are designed to prevent high speed shrapnel and projectiles from piercing your skull, not necessarily blunt force impact protection
>>
File: 100806978-Trig-Gravel_01.jpg (2.83 MB, 6944x3890)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB JPG
>>1313091
Ragley Trig Gravel
$1100
butted chromoly frame
slightly higher spec
2 piece crank
thru axle, nicer brakes

but it's geared higher
48/32 & 11-32 with a road rear mech that you can't change because 10spd tiagra

also a good option.
>>
>>1313135
they deflect instead of cushioning, so there's nothing wrong with wearing it but it won't offer any protection from a crash unless you're crashing into small, sharp objects
>>1313133
then I'll look into it
>>
File: IMG_3942 (Custom).jpg (1.21 MB, 3000x2000)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>>1313004
>soon to be girlfriend
you mean your hypothetical gf?
fix up a cheap old mixte and put cruiser bars on it
you save some money and get something cool
>>
>>1312679
Check walmart... I'm sure they'll have something that fits your.... taste.
>>
>>1313155
what if i bike in syria
>>
>>1313160
sounds like a good reason to use a ballistic helmet
>>
>>1313141
>>1313153
These look pretty good for their prices, thanks for pointing them out to me, I'll look into them.
>>1313125
>just buy it you retard
I really like the ride quality of a good steel frame, but I'm not completely opposed to other options, care to tell me
why you would get an alloy frame+carbon fork over steel besides weight?
>>1313113
I'm not against just buying a build and putting it together myself, but I assumed that would be more expensive.
>>1313119
It rains a lot here, so I'm sold on dick brakes unfortunately.
>>
>>1313135
Yes. Bike helmets are designed to slow the impact through the foam decompressing. Ballistic helmets don't do that.
>>
>>1313077
The FX? I think the lower end models of the FX have alu forks.
If you're not limited to Trek, there's other brands that are like the FX such as Specialized Sirrus (Vita if femanon), Kona Dew, Marin Fairfax, GT Tachyon, Giant Escape, Cannondale Bad Boy
>>
>>1313157
that's not a mixte that's a step thru
>>
>>1313084
Anyone?
>>
File: img_1434 (Custom) (1).jpg (2.12 MB, 2667x2000)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
>>1313183
lol yeah i know,
real mixtes are pretty cool too
>>
>>1313187
I already gave you a long answer bro.
>>
>>1313177
FX 2 has alu fork. FX 1 has steel. 3 and up have garbon forx.

>>1313172
Carbon fork is not only lighter but handles vibrations better. Stiffness of alloy is gonna be better so you get better power transfer. I'm not sure of the difference in weight from what the other anons posted, but this weighs about 22 lbs. A long haul trucker weighs like 31. Also this has shimano hydros.
>>
>>1312996
Their only advantage is that they keep your upper legs dry without having to put on rain pants (which can obviously be tricky if you're in the city and it starts to rain).
They're a windsail that works against you and get caught on twigs.
I use rainpants instead. There are some you can just zip up on the side so you don't have to do the "can I get my shoe in" dance.
>>
>>1313011
First step would be copious amounts of WD40 into the shifter, derailleur and cable housings.
If that doesn't work, next step is disconnecting the shifter and looking if it turns without a cable attached. May need to recable.
If it doesn't turn, you need to open it up and fix it.
If you know your model, search for youtube videos. There will be several.
>>
>>1313043
If I replaced my helmet every time I dropped it from that height, it would be my biggest regular bicycle-related expenditure.
>>
File: harald-schmidt.jpg (42 KB, 768x510)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>1313058
>Bluetooth connectivity
With fucking what?
>>
>>1313084
Honda Goldwing
>>
>>1312996
Great for short distances. You can just wear your regular clothes underneath. Get a good one that fits, not some dollar store one size fits all bullshit.
>>1313084
I'm 6'6", 260 lbs myself, but man, you're huge. Samoan or something? You need something with a huge (read 64cm and up) steel or titanium frame and fork. Alu should work too, but only if it's overengineered, not some lightweight bullshit. No carbon. hydraulic disc brakes. 36 spoke wheels, if possible. At your stated budget, you should try to buying used, but it will be hard to find a bike that fits, since you're like three standard deviations taller than the average person. All said, I think a 29er hardtail would be the best choice for you. Don't even think about something with tires narrower than 2", you won't be able to inflate those to the pressure required to avoid pinch flats. Maybe you could even look into city bikes (those that come with lights, rack and fenders as standard), because they are often built to take a beating.
>>
>>1313011
>>1313198
might need a rear derailleur adjustment.

go to jewtube, type in parktool derailleur. they have an incredibly detailed, well filmed video on how to do it.

there is also a good chance that your derailleur is bent.
>>
>>1313011
Other anon said WD40. Don't use that, use chain lube. Or if you want to get something really good for the job, Finish Line Speed Degreaser
But yeah could be that it's dirty and needs to be degreased/oiled, could be that it's damaged, could be bad cable/housing, could be derailleurs are in need of adjustment (cable tension and/or limit screws)
>>
>>1313240
>Chain lube
>to flush gunk out of shifters
What?
>>
>>1313246
Yes, lubricating it will help counteract the gunk, and if you really want to get it out of there you should use something like Speed Degreaser not WD40
>>
>>1313246
I've used lube successfully multiple times (have been mechanic at LBS), it works surprisingly well.
>>
>>1313219
>36 spoke wheels, if possible.

I'm 275 lbs and I'm right on the top end of someone who can rock a 32 standard brake wheelset (still had to lace it into a triple cross pattern).

>>1313084
>>1313084
>What kind of bike should I be looking for as someone who is 6'8" and 400 pounds?

26" wheel schwinn meridian adult tricycle. You may have to buy an "extended seat post" if your legs are crazy long. DO NOT extend the seat post past the notch saying don't extend past this point.

The Schwinn Meridian is a very versatile bike and I don't think you'll need many modification on it....maybe stronger wheels but I don't think so.

Keep in mind it is single speed and heavy but so are you Mr. Clydesdale. If it's flat you'll do great on one of these. Then when you are 350 lbs you can buy a Surly Long Haul Trucker or Fuji Touring and get it built the way you like.

The Schwinn Meridian is 350 dollars on amazon. make sure you buy the one with 26 inch wheels!
>>
>>1313190
I see, none of my LBS's carry Trek, but I might look for one so I can give it a test ride and see how it feels. Thanks for your answer.
>>
File: 1385136139955.png (19 KB, 870x870)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>1312676
How do I stop "gotta go fast" behavior? Like I can't even ride at a relaxed pace commuting to work.
>>
>>1313409
Get drunk and have a n+1 configured for drunkrides. That is, long chainstays and cantis that don't throw you if you drunkenly grab too much brake. Shit is cash.
>>
>>1313413
Somehow I ride really well even blackout. Last time I drunk crashed was in like 2012 when I got up out of the saddle and somehow lost my front wheel lmao. RIP my old helmet.
>>
>>1313416
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFWjV5OqkbU
>>
>>1313409
Get overuse injuries and realize your fitness isn't all that great because you push too hard.

I looked back at my strava from 4-5 years ago when I first started riding. I was averaging 17-18 mph on my rides, but never went farther than 30 miles at a time. I would always ride to my limit and had much better times on climbs than I do now. Hell I remember chasing PR's on climbs and getting to the top being unbelievably gassed and toasted. I took a long break from road riding but did a ton of hiking and backpacking, getting back on the bike now I'm nowhere near as fast as I was, but I can ride for hours now before I get tired. In short, I built a big aerobic base from lots of hours at low effort and now cycling is a breeze whereas my old style of riding was pretty limited. /blog
>>
>>1313198
there’s no videos on this turd
>>
File: image.jpg (1.85 MB, 4032x3024)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB JPG
>>1313483
>>
Thoughts? If anything else its extremely beautiful
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-fixie-single-speed/city-of-toronto/vintage-raleigh-fixie-bike-rides-very-well/1426593087?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: $115
>>
>>1313485
>>1313483
the derailer is fucked, time to leave it outside and hope someone takes it
>>
>>1313494
add should read;

small ladies massively overgeared single speed (not a fixie) ugly rattle can black paint old heavy hiten gas pipe tubing bike boom shitter with garbage 27" steel wheels

but hell, if it actually rides somewhat smoothly, and you like it, yeah, anything is worth $100, and it might be an aight beater i guess and the flat bar conversion is good.
>>
>>1313201
duotrap s, which apparently is a smartwatch that fits in a bike and records speed and a bunch of other bullshit before sending it to your phone
>>
>>1312676
I'm 18% over weight limit.
Shop told me there was no limit.
There was no limit seen on packaging.
However, in fine print at the back of the pamphlet, pic related.

Yes I'm fat. Yes, losing weight is what I need to do. However, I want the bike to feel sort of light, not heavy, when I pick it up.
>>
File: 20190412_163626.jpg (2.21 MB, 3820x911)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB JPG
>>1313601
18% over limit safe?
>>
>been riding 2017 fuji feather for 2 years.

what's the best upgrade i can make for the money?
all i've done over those 2 years is pedals, brake levers, and bar tape...
>>
>>1313601
>>1313616
dude, you can lose the added weight from steel saddle rails just by taking a piss.

i wouldn't want to see the aftermath of a fatty whose saddle suddenly came off the rails at speed.

stay safe. if you crash, you get hurt. if you're hurt, you can't ride. if you can't ride, you're not gonna lose weight.
>>
>>1313620
Good tires
And if you wanna splurge, good wheels and crankset
>>
fuck the discord ahem
>>
>>1313620
Id buy a pair of conti gt5000 tires. you could also buy a carbon wheelset but that's probably overkill.

the feather is actually a great bike right out the box with minimal improvements necessary (as you have found out).
>>
File: Capture.png (2.26 MB, 1435x1320)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB PNG
What kind of bike is pic related?
I don't know a lot about bicycles but I used to ride my bike to and from work for every day up until mid-autumn last year.
It's getting warmer now and I'd like to do so again, but I'm not keen on using my old bike.That thing is a heavy mountain bike but I mainly used it for trips around town, and I'd like to replace it with something a bit more suitable. Thank you.
>>
>>1313601
>I'm 18% over weight limit.

you are fine. rule of thumb for max weight thresholds is that it is 50% more than listed. So if they say it can hold 100kg it can really hold 150kg.
>>
>>1313681
Awesome! This is exactly what I needed to hear from a random anon online to go feel better using it, dead serious. Not even joking going to install it tomorrow, thanks anon.
>>
>>1313601
>>1313616
You're gonna crack it, and then you won't get your money back because the pamphlet warned you. Turn it in and get one with steel rails, then spend the rest of the money on titanium axles or something.
>>
>>1313687
If I crack it, then I suddenly weigh 217 pounds as far as anyone need know but my concern isn't the refund, I want the seat, my concern is a seatpost suddenly ramming up my ass with shards of carbon fiber tearing out my anus as I crash at 20mph and get further injured.

Surely their weight limit is conservative enough to cover some extra weight? I just wonder how much, the shop told me there was no limit. They were wrong.
>>
>>1313678
>What kind of bike is pic related?

that would be known as a hardail MTB. Front forks on bikes not going down singletrack difficult paths are generally seen as overkill and kills your commuting.

The new hotness is to take a road bike and add tires that are 28mm or wider. People call that gravel bike / adventure bike / all road bike and it's the new hotness now.

Long story short it's because tire technology has gotten better and shock dampening that was once done by shocks is now not necessary if you have supple wide tires. Also people don't really know that you can throw 28mm wide tires on almost all road bikes.

Every major manufacturer makes a "Hardtail MTB" and a "gravel bike" so you just march yourself down to a place like a Fuji retailer and compare something like the Nevada 1.7 with the Jari.

Unless you have really horrible streets you can just get a road bike and put harder tires on it if you want to gofast.

My advice is to come to the LIGHT. Aluminum road bike with carbon fiber fork (softens out all the chatter) and 2x8 speed Claris is anywhere from 500-900 new. The bike companies just don't market those because they don't make as much money on it as a 500 dollar hybrid or a 1200 dollar 'gravel bike'.

Vitus Razor/Zenium
Poseidon Triton
Fuji Sportif
Specialized Allez
Bianchi Via Narone
Canndondale CAAD Optimo Claris
>>
>>1313693
I'm the anon who told you that you'll be fine. If you are uncomfortable since you were told there was no weight limit by the shop and since after you opened the package there was critical information required to make the purchase you are entitled legally to a refund. Of course you don't have to go in guns blazing, LBS will gladly take it back.

Personally I think the idea of a CF brooks saddle seems counter to the idea of what brooks does- namely sell you retro looking comfy saddles for 2.5x what a reasonable price would be.
>>
File: 1546711486682.webm (1.69 MB, 344x510)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB WEBM
>>1313694
Thank you, anon!
I've got more than I asked for. I can't thank you enough.
have a good one!
>>
guys, I wanna buy bike thats far away, how do I get that bike back to my house
>>
>>1313703
oh shit nevermind the bus has a bike rack
>>
>>1313697
>>1313693
>>1313687
>>1313681
Watch starting at 25 seconds, seat is fine.
https://youtu.be/ncqGmRqwtk0
>>
File: 2019-devotion-29-chrome2.jpg (96 KB, 1200x1200)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
Just ordered this. How cool do you guys think I'll look while cruising with this thing?
>>
>>1313708
David Millar isn't a hamplanet
>>
>>1313710
Did you not wat h the slow motion of the seat ramming into his undulating buttox?
>>
>>1313709
everyone i know who bought an adult bmx 29er loves it. granted that's just two people but there you go.

Hilariously enough they both bought it because they have 10 year old sons they go bike riding with and they wanted to have a BMX too so they could pop an occasional wheelie and be at the same cadence as the kid.
>>
>>1313713
I have a regular BMX that I've had since I was 16, and I ride the little thing everywhere all the time. I'm 23 now and riding on a children's sized bike is getting ridiculous and my back is slightly starting to ache, so I decided I needed to get a bigger bike. Friends and colleagues have bugged me for years to get a proper bike, so I guess it's high time.
>>
sorry for asking them dumb questions but is this bike really worth 100euros? its fuji declaration, not sure which year

https://imgur.com/a/hxuR1Eg
>>
>>1313084
Shaq rides a bike with 36inch wheels with the brand name Dirty Sixer.
it's what you want but without checking the price I guarantee it's over $600
>>
>>1313772
more like $6000
>>
>>1313709
Honestly these big bmx cruisers are the endgame. Comfy but fun to ride.
>>
>>1313773
They require the Rohloff version for extra large lads now, and the price is $7K for the hybrid and $8300 for the MTB. >shaw has a couple of totally custom Ti ones tho
>>
File: IMG_4172 (Custom).jpg (597 KB, 3000x2000)
597 KB
597 KB JPG
just had the 30yo campag bb taken off this
next step is to strip the rust off the fork and paint it
i've got pink and yellow rattle cans already, I'm thinking maybe solid pink with some yellow accents. General thoughts?

the front wheel will be a deep dish polished campag zonda
i've got spare parts to do mostly 10spd 105 with a black campag srirroco rear wheel or 7 speed mostly tricolour

any advice on getting the rust off the fork & painting it? I've got some red automotive primer as well and some rust converter. Trying to spend as little as possible
>>
File: _moser.jpg (358 KB, 1909x929)
358 KB
358 KB JPG
>>1313849
i basically just have to sand it right? and then i should paint the rust converter on the clean metal, prime, and then rattlecan over that and maybe to a clearcoat on top? Or is there something i should use to strip the rust?

i know it's gonna be pretty shitty lol but i don't care and i don't think i should just keep riding on the rusty bare metal like i did before. pic related is how it looked last time it was rideable but lots of those parts are on other things now
>>
File: IMG_2614 (Custom).jpg (1.18 MB, 3000x2000)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
heres another old pic from before i stripped the new fork paint and put it together last time
showing the rattlecan colours i have and was too lazy to use before
>>
>>1313849
>>1313854
It looks good as it is. I'd just clearcoat the rust to keep the aesthetic while preventing it from getting worse, but if you want to remove it you can make a paste from lemon juice, borax/baking soda, and water.
>>
Advice me please some good bike lights, which would be of good quality and not too expensive. I've looked up some, but they seem to me overpriced.
>>
>>1313860
hmmm yeah i like it too. I'm just worried that in a couple years it will be dead if i leave it like this
>>
>>1313620
>what's the best upgrade i can make for the money?
A freehub.
>>
>>1312676
What font did you use/how did you make the OP image? I'll try to match it next time I make a new general for other topics.
>>
File: bqg template.png (51 KB, 1500x1000)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
>>1314014
It was impact (or a variant of impact) if I recall correctly, but I just have the text saved with an invisible background and re-use it so I don't have to re-create it each time I make a new image. Pic related.
>>
>>1314014
Oh, maybe I misunderstood and you meant generals beside /bqg/

I thought the font I used was Impact Condensed but I just tried it in Gimp and it looks slightly different, so maybe they changed it and the current Impact Condensed is slightly different than the old one? Not sure.

To create the white text with black border: I use Gimp and I create the text in white font with an invisible background. Then I duplicate the text layer. Then on one of the two text layers, first you want to right click in the background and go layer-layer to image size (this prevents the edge of the text from getting cut off when you enlarge it). Then I right click on the text and go to layer-text to selection-text to selection. Then I again right click on the text, then go to select-grow. Then enter a number (10 or so, but it depends on your font size). Then use the bucket fill tool set to fill whole selection and fill it black.
You should be done at this point, but if you only see the large black letters without the smaller white letters, it's just because your two text layers are in the wrong order, so go to your layer menu and switch the order.
>>
File: shit.jpg (127 KB, 1600x900)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
im supposed to pull this out to the right from the handle after collapsing the piece on the left side right?

Could salt and shit be blocking the way, since it won't budge?
>>
>>1314117
Different thru axles work differently so I'm not gonna say yours is definitely the same as mine. But on mine, you open the QR lever, then stick it in a little notch on the axle, then turn it counter-clockwise (while holding the nut on the other end - left side in your picture - still). Since it's in the notch on the axle, it will be turning the axle to loosen it.
>>
why does my disk brake make really loud noises when its used? its so loud that i try to avoid using it
>>
>>1314144
rotor or pads could be glazed, mine made a ton of noise too after sitting unused for like 3 years (mtb lol amirite) so i replaced the pads and rotors and the noise went away. i tried sanding the pads down before that and it didn't do anything.
>>
>>1314126
Thank you, your description led me to this.

https://youtu.be/U8IqJD34Ky0

I should be able to remove it now.
>>
>>1314144
It's contaminated. Your brake pads too, most likely. Look up how to clean them, I think you're supposed to use rubbing alcohol but I'm not sure. Plenty of tutorials out there.
>>
>>1314147
could that also be the reason why its overall working really badly? it works properly only when fully on or off but light braking feels like you hold it for a second and let it go and do that again until you stop using the brake
>>
>>1314149
Definitely. It also sounds like you haven't ever serviced your brakes, your pads must be worn down to nothing. Give them some love man.
>>
>>1314155
will try some cleaning first. i dont think that its possible to wear it like that because it can be adjusted with a tool if it has too much wear but i only did it once because it was too close to the disc
>>
File: 27cinh.jpg (368 KB, 1152x648)
368 KB
368 KB JPG
>>1313500
I bought it lol
>>
>>1314010
the fuji feather has a flip flip hub so you can ride fixie or freewheelin'
>>
File: Untitled.png (749 KB, 1800x1170)
749 KB
749 KB PNG
Are these interchangeable?

I got a new r7000 crank and need a bottom bracket. Bike has a 68mm threaded bottom which I believe is english. Is this the BB I need?
Which one?
>>
>>1314221
Yes, you can pick either, they're both Hollowtech II and English thread. The Dura-Ace one is probably lighter, that's about it.
>>
>>1314246
Thsnks, saw things talking about spindle size and hollowtech and whstever, I've no clue. They'll both work with 7000 series 105 and aluminium gravel bike, 68mm threaded? Sweet. Do you think one is more durable, longer lasting?
>>
>>1314254
In the case of Hollowtech II crankset systems, spindle size only depends on the crankset you have, and the bottom bracket shell you'll install it on. If you bought your crankset new, it should come with some spacers, and instructions on how many spacers to use on any given BB shell width.
Both of those BBs will work the same. They will most likely last the same also. Ultegra and Dura-Ace are the two top tiers of Shimano components, even pro riders who usually run full Dura-Ace will sometimes choose one or two Ultegra components because of personal preference and think nothing of it.
>>
File: 20190413_163425.png (2.47 MB, 1920x1080)
2.47 MB
2.47 MB PNG
Is the tyre fucked?
>>
>>1314268
fucked yea, but patch it if you really need to ride on it, but only temporarily. Duct tape, old inner tube, or slice of a slick tire, but definitely only a quick fix.
>>
>>1314117
I have two bikes with q-loc and you are right. Each one of them got its axle seized at some time. Tapping it away with a mallet helps.
>>
>>1314268
Its dead Jim.
>>
>>1314261
>spacers
IIRC, no spacers are required. The only reason you'd need them is if you were using a 73mm BB (and crankset) on a 68mm shell.
>>
>>1314274
>>1314281
Fuck. It only lasted one and a half season.
>>
>>1314268
Yes
>>1314274
Tires can sometimes be patched, but this one is beyond fucked.
>>
>>1312679
I feel you man. Sucks that matte is in style, they're fingerprint magnets. Sucks even more that your bike got nigg'd.

The kona fire mountains are pretty good for the price, and they come in a glossy blue. I'd give that a try.
>>
>>1313020
>>1313025

BOTH OF YOU CUM SLURPING FAGGOTS CALM THE FUCK DOWN
>>
>>1313058
that's a trash tier bike. if you gotta have a suspension fork, at least get a good one like the raidon that comes on fathom 2s
>>
>>1314349
no u
>>
>>1313084
XL size Giant Talon 3 or Escape 2 Disc is where you should start. These are $550 and durable enough for someone your size. Kona dew in 59 size is also a good option. Similar price and type of bike. Adequately stout construction.
>>
>>1313091
kona rove st. the price is worth it for the tubeless wheels, thru axles, and 1x group.
>>
>>1313141
these come out of the same factory as recent novara bikes. that frame is gonna be 5 pounds overweight and the welds on it are shit.
>>
>>1314299
45nrth is a generic house brand from a big distributor. their quality is not very good. suggest replacing with schwalbe or continental.
>>
>>1314377
Neither of those have studded fatbike tyres as far as I'm aware. Up until yesterday when I discovered the rips, I thought the 45nrths were very good.
>>
>>1314376
what do you expect for $1000 lol
>>
What’s causing my left pad to be so misaligned? There’s no way to adjust the angle. Are my brakes bricked?
>>
>>1314500
Better pic. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
>>
>>1314500
Twist your caliper arm: parktool makes a tool for this. You can also use a wrench or something. Road brake pads very rarely use cone washers like v-brakes do and when present don't have nearly the same amount of adjustment available.
Alternatively, buy another caliper. They're not expensive.
>>
>>1314505
Thanks that actually worked great.
>>
>>1314282
Last Hollowtech II crankset I bought came with spacers and instructions to be used on both 73 and 68mm shells, that's why I mentioned it. Maybe I'm just confusing poor Anon.
>>
>>1314695
Crank came with no spacers. The guy tried to give me an origin8 BB which may have sincerely been better, IDK. I just want all Shimano, basic solid Shimano.
I'm just seeing other measurements than the 68mm threaded pop up, such as the 24mm spindle thing. That's why I'm asking, Dura-Ace 9100 BB is compatible, without any special adapters, to Shimano 105 r7000 crank. If I've read the thread correctly it is. Thank you again, very much for response.
I'm assuming the the tool adapter comes with the dura-ace BB too since it's picture >>1314221? I'll probably have to call to ask.
>>
>>1314796
Yes, it is compatible. And no, it most likely won't come with the tool.
>>
>>1314821
>it most likely won't come with the tool
It doesn't come with the thing to put it on, just the adapter. The BBR60 and R9100 both have a scaled down outer circumference so they include a plastic thing to use with your BBT-9 (or equivalent tool).
>>
File: 20190414_122018.jpg (2.05 MB, 3555x1393)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>1314821
>>1314824
The plastic thing is what I meant; have this.
>>
>>1314833
If it's somehow not there, just ask your LBS for one.
>>
Does any manufacturer make a non-plus size 27.5 XC hardtail anymore? Normally I would just think to put normal 27.5 tires on but for trail riding I would be concerned about bb drop/increased pedal strike.

inb4 27.5 is ded, I just don't love plus size and want to run 27.5x2.2 at most.
>>
What's a good bike for someone with long legs and a short torso?
>>
>>1314928
A normal one with a seatpost that has no setback
>>
so if I convert my single speed to a fixie can I get rid of the caliper brakes and just brake by pedaling backwards
>>
>>1314950
No, you can slow down or skid, but it’s not the same as taking advantage of leverage and friction allowing you to come to a controlled stop by converting your inertia into heat without losing traction with just the force of your fingers.
>>
>>1314950
No, you still need brakes. And you'll figure that out as soon as you start riding fixed.
>>
Is numbness in the balls after riding normal? Asking for a friend
>>
>>1314962
No. You should sit on your sitbones, not your genitals. You probably have a saddle that is too narrow for you. Saddles with cutouts in the middle can also help. Or your bike fit is generally fucked up.
>>
File: 20190414_164716.jpg (3.06 MB, 3409x2121)
3.06 MB
3.06 MB JPG
>>1314221
>>1314246
>>1314261
>>1314282
>>1314824
Got it on with an Ultrega BB I had to drive an hour away to find. Thank you!
Do have another question.
>>
Chain or U-lock?
>>
File: 20190414_164951.jpg (2.06 MB, 1826x2353)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
>>1314969
What is this screw for?
>105. Fronf Derailleur
>>
>>1314970
Both
>>
>>1314970
U-Lock. A chain is much heavier with thinner steel that's easier to cut through.
>>
>>1314971
Take a pic from further away and maybe use a camera instead of a potato.
>>
>>1314971
Can't see shit, Captain.
>>
File: Untitled.png (217 KB, 730x602)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
>>1314984
>>1314978
Apologies, can't figure out what this screw does? Is it just meant to be a post and the fact that it screws in and out is a coincidence?
>>
File: Untitled.png (737 KB, 1280x720)
737 KB
737 KB PNG
>>1314985
Cable wraps under it but does it adjust anything by turning in and out?
>>
>>1314985
It’s instead of a barrel adjuster
>>
>>1314986
my negroidal friend

did you google the schematic for FD-5801-F to be seeing that on page 18 this screw is labeled "Cable adjustment barrel"
>>
>>1314995
>FD-5801
the barrel adjuster on the FD is a feature of the R series, 5800 was a regular old bitch to get enough tension in the FD cable.
>>
>>1314990
>>1314995
>>1314997
I see, thank you. I was kind of mad thinking the bike didn't have one, made getting a perfect adjustment on the derailleur harder but such is the way of ignorance.
>>
What are the best bike shops in the GTA?
>>
Are gravel bikes absolute meme? I'm thinking every day commute, especially in my shitty country where it's windy (I can lean into it on the drops) and rainy (those 700/40 tires) almost every day. And shitty pavements.
>>
>>1315342
Gravel bikes are the best all-round bikes that exist. /n/ simply doesn't like them cause they're mad that their cool rigid MTB's with drop bar conversion aren't special anymore and can now be bought new, but better, with a much more practical 1x drivetrain and disc brakes, only at a price they can't afford.
>>
>>1315346
Yeah, the one I'm looking at has sram apex 1 (1x drivetrain 11 speed) and the more I read about them the more sense they make.
>>
File: 20190414_104638.jpg (301 KB, 908x1210)
301 KB
301 KB JPG
>>1315342
Gravel bikes are great. Being able to choose between either 28-622 or 45-622 is unbeatable.
Currently at 42-622.
>>
File: 1530611350031.png (173 KB, 630x345)
173 KB
173 KB PNG
tfw i knew that these complex derailer systems would not last me long. its already so fucked that the chain is constantly hitting the chain guard or whatever that piece of metal near the chainring is and its so loose that the lowest gears wont work at all. should just take it to a bike shop but that will probably be expensive but they have the special tools that are required for service of bikes and i have only standard tools that will only break sensitive things like bikes.
>>
>>1315342
>>1315346
>>1315359
Real talk for a second, a gravel bike with slicks is more or less as fast as a road bike but they tend to have a different geometry closer to a touring bike. If you don't appreciate the subtle difference between touring and racing frame geometry then I guess it's a moot point. If you do, then you know what I mean.

I agree it's the best songle all around bike if you only have one but some will hate thst it's not built for pure sanic.
>>
>>1315371
>complex derailer system
this is bait
>>
File: 1540050617953.jpg (780 KB, 2048x1536)
780 KB
780 KB JPG
>>1315371
this was the thing i mean
>>
File: 1551206603713.jpg (776 KB, 2048x1536)
776 KB
776 KB JPG
>>1315377
it is. probably didnt do something right because it does not look like all the other bikes on this board do.
>>
>>1315379
>>1315381
You’re cross chaining like a dumbass, I’m not surprised there’s rubbing
>>
>>1315379
Google "adjust front derailleur". You probably just need to adjust those two little screws on top to set the limits of how far this thing can move in both directions.
>>
>>1315381
Your chain is too long. That's literally all there is to it.
>>
>>1315384
it should not be since thats the chain that the bike came with. its probably >>1315382 because im too retarded to get something done right without good instructions and this bike came with a book that says take to lbs for almost everything.
>>
>>1315385
it also used to work few months ago but maybe they just do wear up that quickly. i have only used bikes with ighs before this so i would not know
>>
>>1315382
This big time.
You even have the damn casette at the smallest ring while the bike is stationary? Why would you do this to your chain?
>>
>>1315391
because i read that they should be that way when you take the wheel off. https://www.bayareacycling.com/articles/removing-rear-wheels-is-easy-pg261.htm
>>
File: 57017_00_d.jpg (68 KB, 768x768)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
I'm planning to build a cx bike on a campagnolo centaur groupset
can I just use pic rel mech disc brakes with centaur levers?
>>
>>1315393
Put it on the largest chainring in front and on the smallest cog in the back to take the wheel off.
>>
>>1315400
is it really supposed to make those noises when using the smaller chainrings? the biggest chainring is the only one where the chain does not touch anything that it should not. i dont really even need the smaller rings tho because i always use the biggest and even that one feels too small sometimes.
>>
>>1315402
>is it really supposed to make those noises when using the smaller chainrings?
No
>>1315383
>>
>>1315373
"Real talk" hours BRO. Gravel bike geo is much closer to road than touring, they're still pretty reachy and aggressive compared to touring bikes. I wouldn't say the difference is subtle. You're the same guy who thinks anon's kona sutra is "slow" and he won't be able to hang on group rides, I wouldn't believe a word you say about geometries and what they're good for.
>>
>>1315403
adjusted both of them and it looks better. just didnt want to touch any of those bolts before because the sites were talking about mm adjustments and thats so small that its very easy to do it wrong but looks like they just want to scare people so they pay the lbs instead.
>>
>>1315413
No, they tell you to do mill adjustments because derailleurs don't just jump wildly out of alignment and if they do, you've got other things to worry about before adjusting.
Twisting the screws a lot will fuck it up 100% of the time if you're the type of guy who needs a guide to adjust derailleurs.
>>
>>1315413
I mean, the difference between well-adjusted and shit limit screws can often be less than a quarter turn. But it's not really something you need special tools for, just a decent phillips or JIS screwdriver and an attention to detail.
>>
>>1315415
My old road bike has less than an eighth turn tolerance in the back between friction in the chain and rubbing against the spokes.
>>
>>1315414
as someone who has never worked on these before a guide would be nice. how else would you learn how to work properly on something that you have never seen before?
>>
>>1315418
just need to take it outside and test but it looks ok now.
>>
>>1315418
The same way you learn everything else. Have a friend, a paid professional or an unpaid volunteer show you, watch youtube videos, read up online or in a book, try it out, fuck it up, try again.
Owner's manuals and mechanic's manuals are freely available for basically every part you could have on your bike, unless it's unbranded no-name department store shit.
>>
>>1315412
Incorrect, no clue what kona you're even tslking about. The difference in geometry comes to play when you stand up in the saddle for that extra umph climbing but the geometry does not provide for any extra umph out of the saddle. For the record, I ride a gravel bike and it's hugely different than the true road bikes I've had.
Please go awsy with your false assertions.
>>
How reputable is Norco?
>>
Can I get recommendations on an inexpensive derail for 21 speed compatible with microshit brifters?
>>
>>1315434
essentially any Shimano derailer made in the past 20 years will suffice, a quick search says you can get a new Tourney for under $20, but you almost certainly get one cheaper than that on craigslist or even by going to a local bike shop and saying you're looking for a cheap Shimano derailer. If you lived near me I would just give you one, I have a pile of old crummy derailers that would do the job.
>>
>>1315383
Before you try this, check if you have those small adjusters on the cableroutings. Sometimes you can just screw those just a little and it will be perfect.
>>
File: 20190415_180308.jpg (292 KB, 908x1210)
292 KB
292 KB JPG
>>1315373
>different geometry closer to a touring bike
The Checkpoint ALR gravel bike geometry is closer to a road bike than a touring bike is.
The only difference here is the huge tire clearance.
>pic related, 28c 4000ii

Ofcourse, a "pure" gravelbike will have a more endurance and relaxed geometry but it's not even close to a touring bike.
>>
>>1315442
>Before you google how to adjust derailleurs, just blindly twist these knobs a bit
>>
>>1315449
No doubt there is variation brand to brand.
>>
>>1315412
Gravel geometry is all over the fucking place. Some are like cross bikes, some are more like touring, and some are getting slack as fuck.
>>
>>1315442
did those screws already and it worked well on the 10km test ride that i just did. now i just need to adjust the brakes and thats the hardest part. the bits are always too close to the disc or not straight
>>
>>1315477
Remember that the only job those screws are made for is to make sure you don't put your gear too far inwards/outwards, it doesnt increase tension of the cable.
>>
>>1315486
the cables are probably ok because gear changing works fine. it was just the cage that was too close to the chain
>>
I bought a Cannondale Supersix Evo frame. It has a narrow tire clearance (28-30 max).

Can I use it for gravel/cx if I run a wider tire up front (35mm+) and a thin in the rear, or on gravel roads would the ride be horrible with not enough traction in the back? I’d need a new fork to fit the front
>>
>>1315500
>narrow tire clearance (28-30 max)
>cx

Max tyre width for cross events is 33mm.
>>
>>1315500
it's fun riding 28 or 32 on gravel
you just can't stand on steep climbs without the rear losing traction and in general you need somewhat better bike handling and you can't ride down hills that fast and there's a higher chance you'll fuck a wheel and really bad roads might not be great and you'll be somewhat slower and it's not very comfy

but it is fun

you're not talking about racing right?

just fucking try it man.

Don't get a new fork btw. The rear wheel is the more important one, on a road bike, because that has more weight over it and has the drive traction.
>>
>>1315430
>How reputable is Norco?

they make great bikes for the money but they use a slightly different aluminum alloy than most aluminum bike makers. They use 7001 vs 6061t6. 7001 is stronger but more brittle so you have to make the frame slightly more thick and thus heavier.

Keep in mind this is just looking at the specs I've never actually thrown a leg over a norco and actually rode it so you know....grain of salt.
>>
>>1315500
Not gonna be worth it. Pick up a caadx or caad9/10 optimo cx frame if you want to do that.

Now this is just my opinion, but 32mm (slicks even) is perfect for most decently graded gravel roads if you're doing mixed riding and still want performance on the road too. If roads near you are utter choss then maybe get a bigger tire but I was running 45mm on my gravel bike and it was way overkill. Most folks, myself included, ride decent dirt roads (not gravel, mind you) that are hard pack clay and maybe some unconsolidated gravel on top. Its only really shitty fire roads (in colorado for me) where I've felt 45mm was really needed but those roads are so rough I take my xc mtb most of the time. Maybe you want to buy into the "supple" meme though and just run the biggest tires you can, then sure, go for it.

Cross is a racing format where you'll be riding on slick mud and grass, so unless you're doing that, forget it. Also regarding traction, unless you're swimming in pea gravel or sand, its more just about technique and getting your weight over the rear wheel. All mtb'ers know this but gravel riders (aka roadies) just assume they need wider tires to keep spinning.
>>
Had real trouble getting my tyres to work tubelessly on the alexrims wheels which my bike came with. Considering buying some posh ones or even having some made, but don't know where to go. I want to be able to fit 28-35mm tyres, tubelessly, without having to add a million layers of rim tape for it to work as I seem to have to now.

12mm thru axles with discs. Anyone got a bright idea?
>>
>>1315500
have you actually got specific places to ride in mind, or just want to get in on the meme in general?
>>
>>1315395
That should work
>>
>>1315511
I have a Valence A2 with 7001 and can confirm it's rather heavy
>>
>>1315519
I’m in England, so picture the average bluebell filled woodland path and that’s what I want to be able to ride, maybe some more bumpy country park descents, as well as road.... but I have dreams of touring backcountry lanes in Europe. From what >>1315513 and >>1315507 have said I think I could potentially brute force it or get away with good skills and slower pace, but I don’t like the idea of slowly chugging away on muddy country lanes if I did something the Lands End to John o when I could have gone to 35mm for not much weight or road performance penalty.

I think I will keep the Supersix Evo because I got a great deal on it, build some light-ish rims and put some knobbly 30mm or whatever I can get away with on the rear, same for the front, and potentially borrow a wheel to try a larger front tire. What would you do if you owned this frame and wanted to do the kind of riding I mentioned (not racing, I’m more of an /out/ type)

Oh, forgot to mention - it’s an Evo Hi Mod, which might be a bit of a meme but this thing is a feather, 750g before I strip the paint and bosses
>>
>>1315418
try reading the OP, dumbass.

>>1312676
>Resources:
>https://sheldonbrown.com/
>https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
>https://booksdescr.com/item/detail/id/1444747
>>
>>1315507
so when you say fun you actually mean terrible
>>
File: sagan.jpg (208 KB, 1067x1600)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>1315536
My knee jerk reaction is this: what the fuck are you doing with a high end road racing frame when you want to be rambling around country roads? Why are you even thinking about shedding grams? That bike is wasted on you.

Now anyway...I would get a different bike because you're not going to have any fun riding on muddy roads on 28mm tires or whatever the maximum width a supersix can fit. A new fork isn't going to change that. Why haven't you actually just gone out and tried to ride the roads you're talking about, with this bike of yours? Shoulda got a bike that isn't designed for racing. Pic related is who your bike is meant for. Yes I'm slightly irked.
>>
>>1315536
just get another bike lmao
>>
>>1315560
Having fun on a bike? Is that not allowed? Dickhead.
>>
>>1315395
There are two types of brake levers, long pull and short pull. They pull different amounts of cable. As long as the brake lever and brake are both long pull or both short pull, you'll be fine. I believe that disc brakes are usually or always long pull, so if the levers are designed for disc brakes, they should be fine. If they're designed for rim brakes, you'll have to check if they are long pull (will work) or short pull (won't work).

That's the only thing that really matters when deciding on brake levers, other than the extremely obvious (drop vs flat bar and mech vs hydro)
>>
Installed a new front wheel (DT Swiss R460) that is wider than my old one was. Bike shop said it would fit with my rim brakes. They are of the side pivot variety. However despite me screwing in the barrel adjuster as far as it will go and letting the tension lever all the way out, my brakes are still rubbing. Releasing the cable to give them more slack only make the brake levers stop working and has no effect on making the brakes sit wider to clear my wheel. I feel like an absolute brainlet, but how do I make my brakes sit wider?
>>
>>1315560
That’s fair enough, I love the frame for the exact reason that it’s a masterpiece of engineering. Shedding grams is a hobby for me, I really enjoy simplicity and economy of design almost as much as I like riding. Sure the frame isn’t built for someone like me, and it would be a little like driving a Ferrari round a dune buggy track, but I am pretty gentle on my bikes and would take precautions to avoid rock chips. I haven’t ridden it on those trails because I only have only owned rigid MTBs and don’t have a wheelset that would fit yet.

I might go ahead and sell it, but I would replace it with something similarly light - just because I’m not racing at a semi pro level doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy nice machines. I’m no lardass and I don’t plan to thrash it either, if that makes you feel better.

But you might be right on the tire thickness too. You may have just saved a frame’s life.
>>
File: 20190415_130323.jpg (2.44 MB, 2018x2974)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
>>1315567
I'm mildly retarded and forgot my picture. This is how it looks right now.
>>
>>1315567
Brake pads often have spacer washers so you can move some from the inside to the outside
>>
>>1315565
Are there long pull (compatible with MTB V-brakes) brifters? Or short pull (compatible with road brifters) caliper brakes that fit V-brake mounts?
>>
>>1315570
Dude it’s okay I’m fully retarded

Side question : does cycling and other speedy exercises increase your alertness and intelligence?
>>
>>1315570
Lessen the cable tension. The lever is meant to let you take the wheel off. It should be in the down position when riding, and the up position when removing/installing the wheel. It's not meant for fine tune adjustments.
You need to undo the bolt that clamps the cable to adjust (loosen) the cable tension. Let some slack into the cable then tighten it back down.
>>
>>1315574
when I do that the brakes sit wider, but then if I pull on the brake lever it will pull them in and not release when I let go (due to the slack getting pulled in to the housing, I think?)
>>
>>1315572
>Are there long pull (compatible with MTB V-brakes) brifters?
Yes. I just checked QBP and the Tektro RL520 and Cane Creek Drop V both meet those requirements. I assume there's more, I would suggest looking into what brifters come with cyclocross bikes.

>>1315572
>Or short pull (compatible with road brifters) caliper brakes that fit V-brake mounts?
Don't quote me on this, but I believe that most or all of the old-style cantilever brakes will meet these requirements. If you want the modern (V-brake/linear pull) style brakes, you've got some options as well: Promax P-1, Tektro 926AL, Paul Component Engineering MiniMoto, BOX Eclipse, BOX One V-Brakes, Tektro BMX, and TRP CX8.4. I'm not sure which ones are and aren't good quality, I'm just listing all the ones that QBP has that meet your requirements. I'm also not sure if all of them will work on all bikes, some might have different length brake arms or whatever. But you've deinitely got options.
>>
>>1315575
Either you added too much slack, or the pads are getting stuck on the rim. This can happen if the pads are slightly too high and get caught on the tire.
When tightening the cable pinch bolt, make sure that the cable housings are all the way in the housing stops, cause otherwise you're gonna end up with way too much slack when the housing goes back in the stops. Also make sure that you're adjusting it such that the tension is proper with the lever down, cause the lever should only be up when you want that extra space to make installing the wheel easy.
>>
>>1315560
A Supersix should be able to fit 28c tires but if your rims are 17c internal you may have trouble with brake clearance if you have last generation calipers. Newer ones from Shimano and Campy are intended for that wheel/tire combo. Not sure about SRAM. Their older stuff may have more clearance.

I routinely ride on paths like you describe using 28c tires, and I get along well enough. I'm on slicks tho, and should probably get some gravelkangs for better cornering and braking grip. But, the bike is a Rivendell Romulus, which is less aggressive than the Supersix, to say the least. I can see you having troubles on descents because your weight is too far forward. Climbs might suck if your gearing is traditional road, but right now I'm running 39x28 as my low gear and haven't had trouble. Another thing that may suck for you is no fenders. Riding on muddy cruddy roads without fenders can get gross, and maybe embarrassing if you want to pop into a cafe or pub.
>>
>>1315581
At this point I guess the cable is getting hung up somewhere inside my handlebars or something, because I'm trying my hardest to follow your advice and every time I just end up with a floppy brake lever and brakes that are stuck on.
>>
what does my bike make a clink noise? dont think it has anything to do with the chains themselves because it still makes that noise even when im not pedaling.
>>
Are Bike Direct bikes brand new or do they ship them used?

I finally have a job and I want to buy a decent road bike again. My last one got stolen due to my carelessness. It was a Louis Garneau road bike around 700USD and was my baby.

I want something of that quality again.
>>
>>1315599
Check if your brakes rub against the wheel. Check if the wheels turn freely without anything slowing them down.
If it's only in the largest cog, check if the spokes are hitting the derailleur.
Otherwise, twang some spokes and check if the sound is similar. Could be spokes rubbing against each other due to low tension.
If it makes the sound when you raise one wheel and just turn that without any load on the bike, it's your hub or in the back may be the freewheeling mechanism.
Could just be debris in your tire's tread, too.
>>
i think its the spokes rubbing aganst each other, thatd make sense
thanks bro
>>
>>1315579
Nice, thanks a lot!
>>
any recommendations for good (also cheap) helmets?
>>
>>1315654
Go into a local store with a wide selection, try which one fits your head and you like the look of on you, disregard price unless it's 3 digits.
>>
>>1315654
Bell makes the most reasonably priced helmets imo. All helmets have to meet the same safety requirement so the rest is more airflow and looking sick bro. If you just want to protect your dome, go to walmart, if not, a bike shop will hopefully have some "entry level" helmets for like $80 usd.
>>
>>1315679
if you go to Walmart, you're almost guaranteed to get a helmet you'll never wear. cause it will be fiddly to adjust, look dorky, wiggle around on your head and make you sweat a lot. so you're literally throwing money out for nothing.
>>
>>1315594
Could be that the cable has a kink somewhere or that it's fraying somewhere, or that the housing is damaged/bent in some area, or that the brake lever has gunk in it. Oiling the cable can help. At some point you just have to replace the cable/housing. You can also squirt some chain lube into the internals of the shifter to help loosen up the gunk if that's the problem. Or it could be that the calliper itself is dirty, or that the spring is old and weak. So get the calliper cleaned up and oiled too, but make sure to not get any oil on the brake pads or braking surface (rim)
>>
>>1315654
Go to a bike shop and try some on. If you get a walmart helmet it's gonna be uncomfortable. For a helmet that's not high end, but not complete garbage, expect to spend 40-60 dollars. That's gonna be the low end of the non-garbage helmets. For something more mid-tier (which will be lighter weight and better ventilated) you'd be looking at more like 80-100.
>>
>>1315654
If you want to go as cheap as possible while getting something decent, the Giro Isode is $45. You're not going to find anything better for its price. But everyone has a different shape head so you might find that a different brand helmet fits your head better. I personally find Giro to be the most comfortable.
>>
Got a good infographic explaining geometry? If I bought a softbike too small for me could I put the seat right at the end of the rail?
>>
>>1315585
Thank you man, that is a very considered answer. I think I’ll go ahead and sell this beautiful frame... ‘‘twas not meant to be.
Can I see your bike?
>>
is it worth getting a second bike? i have a gravel bike with racks and fenders i use for commuting, i kind of want a road bike i can use just to go fast as shit when I don't need to carry a bag or anything..
>>
>>1315725
just get another bike lmao
>>
>>1315763
Who are you talking to?
>>
>>1315768
The dingus trying to turn a supersix into a grabble bike. Just get another bike made for gravel lmao
>>
>>1315760
Yep. Gottagofast bikes are great. It's why most people who enjoy cycling have 3+ bikes. I have 6, and there's likely going to be a new one later this year if I figure out which direction I want to go with #7.
>>
What’s the minimum clearance I can get away with? And can I sand down carbon chainstays around the most bulbous part of the tire to join tha supple n thicc brotherhood but keep my trusty steed?
>>
>>1315813
>can I sand down carbon to increase tire clearance
Nah just get rid of them, seat stays are all you need.
>>
>>1315760
100% yes dude
>>
>>1315813
you don't actually have a built up bike do you?
post a pic of what you have
>>
>>1315813
Never, ever sand down carbon fiber, if you remove material you'll weaken the stay - what you should do instead to improve tire clearance is use a clamp or vise to partially flatten/dimple the area of the stay where it sits next to the tire.

Pic related.
>>
File: Ladies-laughing-.jpg (656 KB, 2365x2057)
656 KB
656 KB JPG
>>1315847
>>
>>1315847
this guy carbons, listen to him
>>
what is good cycling food for longer rides? I dont want goo... I'll have a backpack and can stop to eat so it doesn't need to be super convenient
>>
>>1315892
PB&J sandos, homemade food bars (honey oat with almond butter is my fave), bananas to restore potassium
>>
>>1315892
Remember to drink something with electrolytes in it. Also, SALT.
>>
>>1315892
pan y agua
>>
I have an '80s ten-speed made by a defunct American assembler. Basically everything on it is original. When I bought it the tires were still the old fashioned kind with like reed sidewalls. One of them blew out after a few months. Other than the tires I haven't replaced anything. The drivetrain is all Suntour components that I was able to look up in an old catalog. The wheels are steel. I bought it a few years ago when I started college for $70 from a pawn shop and it's served me well.
Anyways, my question is, it has a lot of problems, I'm trying to decide if I should attempt to repair and restore it, of if I should move on and buy a new bike. The problems; I need new wheels because the steel makes for really shitty braking in the wet and the now non-standard size makes buying tires a bitch, I am pretty sure the rear derailleur is bent, the drivetrain in general is in bad shape despite regularly cleaning and lubing it while I've had it, the cabling is in bad shape, and brake levers (with suicide levers) and stem shifters are loose and kind of falling apart. How much of an endeavor would it be to fix and replace everything? Should I just buy a new bike?
>>
>>1315906
Donate it to a co op and buy a new bike. It’ll turn into a money pit for you and you’ll just be polishing a turd the entire time.
>>
>>1315342
That's what I do, works really nice. Take the rack off on the weekend for cruising, and if it ever starts raining this year I've got some full metal fenders to install.

Yes it's a little slower than a road bike but the wider tyres are comfortable as anything and going wherever you please is really fun.
>>
>>1315906
>I need new wheels
That alone costs more than buying a better used bike and destroys the originality of your old one, which makes the entire exercise pointless.
>>
>>1315847
*craaaaaaack* yep, that one’s going in my cringe compilation
That is a steel bike you’re crimping. Aluminium would buckle, carbon would crack
>>
>>1315573
healthy body, healthy brain
I can't be bothered to cite anything right now but exercise does wonders for cognitive ability and mood and all sorts of things.
>>
>>1315947
you can crimp carbon, you just have to heat it first, you wouldn't know though because everyone here just larps as a mech engineer and doesn't fucking know anything
>>
>>1315847
Bad person, bad!
>>
>>1315962
So the resin becomes pliable? Got any tutorials about this?
>>
Gravelganggravelganggravelgang
Should I spend 10 racks on these new thangs? (Pathfinder pro 32mm)
>>
>>1315974
Looks alright but no clue, I'm waiting on some foldable 700×37 travel contacts.
>>
>>1315970
it's actually really easy
you don't need a tutorial
just get a blowtorch, and if you hold it over your carbon frame for ~5 seconds, you will be able to bend it with pliers.
>>
File: 20190414_122109.jpg (428 KB, 906x1060)
428 KB
428 KB JPG
What brand cassette is this?
>>
>>1315976
Yeah I'm gonna take a torch to a carbon frame because some guy on a Burmese goat-herding website said it's a good idea.
>>
>>1315990
whatever man go get cucked by a ((gravel frame)) then
>>
>>1315988
Africans have entered the bike component market.
>>
>>1315906
Restoring vintage bikes can quickly get expensive, unless you live in a city with a good co-op or two with parts bins to loot. Even then, it starts adding up when you're replacing everything. I'd do what's needed to make it safe to ride and save up for a new bike.
>>
What's it like running clinchers and tubes on "tubeless ready" rims?
>>
>>1316004
exactly the same as on clincher rims
>>
>>1315996
Yes, ruining your bike will really show those crafty Jews what's what!
>>
>>1316003
If you're restoring a bike by replacing everything, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>1315996
LMAO did a gravel bike fuck your wife?
>>
>>1316006
Cool
>>
>>1316006
might be harder to get the tyre on and off though
>>
>>1315892
Haribo. Cheese. Squidgy buns.
>>
Why do review sites call 23-25 pound bikes sluggish and heavy?
>>
>>1316066
Because they’re sluggish and heavy
>>
>>1316066
Probably because they don't lift
>>
>>1316066
Because the target demographic for review sites are e-statting Freds who don't know where to spend all their boomer money.

Normal people go to their LBS and choose among the 3 models they stock, knowledgable people buy used, build their own bike up or already know exactly what they want and get that.
>>
>>1316069
Building up a frameset (a GOOD bike not some OTS you pulled out of a dumpster) is never more economical than buying new
>>
>>1316030
That's fine, was concerned about ride quality and reliability. Clinchers will corner just fine?
>>
>>1316072
If you are very particular about what you want, chances are almost 100% that what you want isn't available as a complete bike.
Or you get some major parts (frame, wheels) used or already have them laying around.
>>
>>1316069
what kind of bike shop is that.. here they have all kinds of bikes available. anything from cheap basic bikes to really expensive memes
>>
>>1316075
>>1316072
These are so true. It's like I know what I want before going to the store and expect to find it but it almost never actually exists; very annoying. I end up building/making more stuff than I ever want to and usually spend at least as much or more doing it.
>>
>>1316078
I don't mean they literally only have 3 models, but chances are if you're looking for an endurance road bike, even a large LBS will have no more than 3 endurance road bike models (maybe each with different available groupsets according to your budget). Same for gravel bikes, hardtail MTBs, flat bar road bikes, etc.
>>
>>1316086
yeah but what you 'want' is probably totally arbitrary and stupid

if it's dynamo lighting or something then yeah
>>
>>1315536
>I think I will keep the Supersix Evo because I got a great deal on it, build some light-ish rims and put some knobbly 30mm or whatever I can get away with on the rear, same for the front, and potentially borrow a wheel to try a larger front tire.

Don't over think it. Your bike fits 28s. Put those on. They ride Paris-Roubaix on 28s. Don't do anything dumb with a 4,000 dollar road bike if you want to go over some country paths or something.
>>
>>1315906
Keep the frame but buy a new bike. In the future when you upgrade your wheels take the old wheels from the new bike and put them on the old bikes. You can easily convert old 80s steel to 700c. The problem is that a set of shimano wheels is 300 or so.
>>
>>1316088
>yeah but what you 'want' is probably totally arbitrary and stupid
no u
>>
I've got a shitty bike of unknown brand or origin and I'd like to see if I can get it in better working condition.
Currently it has a shitty old rusty chain, the front rim brakes drag and the gear selector on the right is seized, and I'm not sure if the one on the left actually does anything, but at least it moves. Is there any easy way to get it in better running condition or should I just go to a bike shop and buy a properly working one? Sorry for the lack of info or pics I'm currently at work.
>>
>>1316095
28c is even the regular Gravel bike race tire size, no reason to go wider. Check out most of those who win those races, all wear 28c.
>>
>>1316125
>>1316095
>race
Oh, there's that word again. I'm all for this guy to just use the bike he as for what he can use it for, but just because racers do it, doesn't mean they would ever choose to in a non-competitive setting nor should it dictate what everyone else does. Fuck riding the paris-roubaix on 28mm tires. Let the pros rattle their fillings out, the rest of us can probably live without.
>>
>>1316119
Later post pictures of teeth on rear cassette, rear derailleur, chain and and visible cables?
Does the brake rub at a consistent level of pulsate like the wheel keeps nudging it?
>>
>>1316131
Yes it's about every turn of the wheel or so
>>
>>1316132
If the wheel is hitting it like that then the wheel is out of true. Having it trued is important for safety and will cost ypu maybe $30. So, at a minimum you're up to that. You also need a chain, possibly a cassette. I'm guessing the seized up part is actually a rusted cable sticking in its sleeve. If so that's another $50 and labor for that is more.

You're probably looking at $200 for the parts and labor. You'd be better off spending $350 at a bike store. I'm just guessing. Later post pictures:
Rear teeth
Chain
Hubs
Cables where visible
Tires
Etc... some anon will help.
>>
>>1316137
That is $350 for a new bike.
>>
>>1316095
>4000 dollars
I didn’t even realise it costs that much, I bought the frameset for 400 in very good condition from a local bike listing
>>
>>1316008
In my experience, there's a cascade effect where you start replacing a couple of things, find more shit to fix, and start in on that because may as well while you're at it. In that guy's case he's looking at wheels, probably a new freehub, maybe a new RD if he can't fix, new cabling, fixing the brakes to not totally suck...at that point it's going to snowball to being everything.
>>1316095
Carbon is easy to fix tho so if he fucks the bike up on ye alde pathe it's nbd
>>
Redpill me on carbon touring rims
>>
>>1316292
(Pic not related)
>>
>>1315906
>>1316119
Lets see the alleged bikes in question. The frames need to be very good to even seriously consider these projects.

For the mystery bike, You also should be competent enough mechanically to true your own wheels and do other basic tasks before you even consider taking this on.

For the 80's bike, if it's worth restoring, you're probably getting crashed and discarded other bikes, and possibly doing a 700c conversion.

From the vague descriptions, these sound like complete overhauls. Anons estimates sound reasonable in price.

>>1316072
It depends on how specific your needs are. Buying off the shelf, then getting a new wheelset, stem, handlebars, pedals, and saddle is very, common for performance road riders. Building up a bare frame doesn't look so bad by comparison, especially, if you can get a deal on a drivetrain.

>>1315536
> What would you do if you owned this frame and wanted to do the kind of riding I mentioned (not racing, I’m more of an /out/ type)

I would buy another bike. Follow anon's lead on the pave of what your bike is reasonably capable of.

>>1316159
That explains why you keep proposing all those terrible ideas. I thought you were trolling. In any case, your time is better spent trying to squeeze a little drillium into your undoubtedly underspecced wheelset than trashing your race frame.
>>
What are your thoughts on these pedals?
>>
File: bike.jpg (3.09 MB, 4015x2521)
3.09 MB
3.09 MB JPG
>>1315906
>>1316324
Here is my current bike.
>>
>>1316548
suicide shifters are comfy as hell on old steel roadies
>>
>>1316601
>>1316601
>>1316601
>>1316601
>>1316601
>>
>>1316519
I like Wellgo MG-1s
>>
>>1316074
absolutely.
>>
>>1316125
why would you go on the internet and tell lies?
just looked up the "winning bikes of the dirty kanza" from last year and every single one of them was on 700x38
mostly maxxis rambler

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.