[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 140 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

What kinds of pedals do you guys like? Single sided? Double sided? Platform? Lots of float? No float? Anything you particularly hate? Fear?

Personally I hate straps and toe cages. I used them for years because I was too much of a pussy to try real pedals. Thinking back about all those wasted miles on substandard equipment is mildly upsetting.
>>
>>1312052
I use platform, even on my road bike
>>
>>1312052

half-clips on MKS Sylvans
>>
SPD-SL with yellow cleats pushed all the way back
>>
>>1312066
Hah, pretty much the same here. Also big ass flat pinned pedals on my commuter.
>>
Recently went back to SPD-SL from spds
anyone who says that mtb pedals are just the same for road riding is lying

dropping a hundred grams from your shoes, stiffer soles, and a wider platform make a real difference
>>
Favero Assioma DUO with zero float Look cleats.
>>
File: 03502017_115016.jpg (117 KB, 800x340)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
PD-A530, though I never use the clip side.
>>
Crankbrothers stamp 1 on mtb, spd on road bike, platform on commuter, don't want to ruin my fancy shiny gay leather shoes
>>
Fuck I hate clipping in to spd sl, Gonna try some look keo knockoffs next. Fuck I miss ASI Nashbar and their private label stuff, was going to buy their alpe dhuez pedals, lighter than dura ace for less than $50! Were they just wellgo rebrands? Anyone know?

I am coming from SPD, never had an issue clipping in and never had hotspots, it is taking a helluva time getting used to hooking the front on SPD sl for me and now I have hotspots. That might be the shoes though.
>>
File: 20190125_092629.jpg (311 KB, 908x1210)
311 KB
311 KB JPG
>>1312052
Double sided clipless mtb pedals all the way.
>>
>>1312170
It takes some time to get used to, after a year on SPD-SLs I really never have to think about them at all. It did not take a full year to get to this point, but I was over the largest part of the learning curve in about 1-2 months. After that it was just gitting gudder through repetition.
>>
>>1312059
Are you a 5'6" Guatemalan pizza delivery guy on a much-too-large USPS Trek? Because you guys are underappreciated and I would like to say thanks. Also what happened to the qt thick softball girl who used to work the register that one summer? You know who I mean, don't pretend you didn't notice her thighs.
>>
File: orange_2.jpg (36 KB, 900x598)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
raceface chesters on my cross check, wellgo translucent greyishbrown platforms with coyote holdfast straps on my commuter, mks gr10 with clips and straps on my vintage larp machine.
>>
i use these shimanos on my gravel bike that i ride on roads, because i’m scared of clipping in
>>
>>1312052
I use crank candy all day everyday.
>>
File: xlc_pd_m-10.jpg (64 KB, 1200x934)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
XLC PD M-10.

Definitely the best ultra-cheap platform pedals. Very large, awesome grip with regular rubber soles, reflectors to satisfy the German bike Gestapo.
Have them on all of my bikes. 13 € a set is hard to beat.
>>
>>1312231
Those are like the heaviest pedals you can buy, they even feel heavy to spin. Just get spd's and learn something new...
>>
>>1312241
yeah my bike has racks and fenders and those pedals, it's like 30 pounds..
>>
i use stock pedals with straps on my fixie just for commuting this flat godforsaken concrete jungle

i like to be able to wear shoes and not have to change at my destination. just wipe off sweat and get a drink and go to work/class

am i trash? am i missing out?
>>
>>1312251
nah ur aight anon
clipless incels are missing out
>>
>>1312251
you’re missing out by only riding around in a flat city
>>
>>1312254
missing out on 20% less power and slipping off the pedals. Whatever shall we do?
>>
>>1312259
>clipclopclipclop
>>
>>1312259
get gently shoved by a flat pedal chad and fall over lmao
>>
File: ELEBL.jpg (54 KB, 900x900)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
Used to be Look keo on road bikes and eggbeaters on mtb, but now I use eggbeaters on all my bikes because they're much more comfortable to clip in and I don't really feel the difference in efficiency.
>>
>>1312263
>threatening violence
wow ok
>>
>>1312262
>He doesn't use MTB shoes and pedals
>>
>>1312255
you know i grew up with lots of hills. i remember my friends and i walking our bikes up the hills, and then bombing down the longest downhill road we could find...

that was back when i had a geared bicycle...and friends...
>>
>>1312259
20% faster on bike
20% slower off it
>>
>>1312281
>ever clipping out
>not bunnyhopping into bed at night
not gonna make it
>>
>>1312277
correct. i use vans and pinned flats, the patrician choice of people who want to ride and walk in comfort and style.
>>
File: 20190410_103430.jpg (43 KB, 209x258)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>1312232
>>1312265
>CRANK CANDY
>CAAAAANDY
>>
>>1312287
>the patrician choice of people who want to ride and walk in comfort and style.
You do know that there's clipless shoes that are made for this too right?
>>
>>1312311
don’t poke the cope
>>
I want to buy a pedal powermeters but why do they all run on a look basis and why are they so much more expensive than they have any right to be
>>
>>1312315
From what I've understood they use Look cleats because they don't have to pay royalties from that. For why they're so expensive is because they're lightweight, small, weatherproof, precision electronics. Also no one has cheaper working offerings available so they can charge that. The prices of power meters have at least come down thanks to companies like Favero and power2max.

I'm the anon with the Assioma DUOs and I haven't had a single complaint about them. My brother has the UNO version and they've been just as good. Also the feedback online about them is pretty much 100% positive. It's the pedal based power meter to beat right now. Both in price and functionality.
>>
>>1312311
you know that i don't need to be autistically attached to my bike to ride, right?

>>1312314
you can't just make cope happen by saying cope.
>>
These with golden toe clips
>>
>msw commuting on pinned flats
are skateboard shoes' soles more durable? I had a pair of waffle sole shoes and those were destroyed too, though they weren't skateboard specific
>>
File: IMG_20190410_112033979~2.jpg (1.41 MB, 3754x2608)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
>>1312351
durr forgot pic
>>
>>1312353
that's not a waffle sole shoe, you fucking retard.
>>
>>1312351
take the pins down a bit with an angle grinder
>>
>>1312354
reading comprehension you complete imbecile
though in all fairness posting the pic separatedly leads to confusion
>>
File: nylon flats.jpg (72 KB, 1048x595)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>1312351
get the flats that have non-replaceable nylon pins and Chucks for max comfy and pedal grip without sacrificing service life or off bike walkability
>>
>>1312361
Do they flex a lot?
>>
File: rip old nashbar.jpg (420 KB, 1296x972)
420 KB
420 KB JPG
>>1312170
>ASI Nashbar and their private label stuff
:( I wish I bought another set of these and an extra /n/ stem back then.
>>
>>1312362
not at all
>>
>>1312362
Find pedals with decent bearings and that won't be a problem
>>
>>1312361
chucks are the least comfy, least supportive shoes ever made. riding over 20 miles on pins would probably be horrible
>>
>>1312259
>less power
that's been debunked, even by industry shills GCN
>foot retention
that and comfort, reducing fatigue, is what it's about
>>
Based pd-m250 gang. There’s literally no reason to buy any other pedal
>>
I have an admittedly weird preference: I like old Shimano SPD-R type pedals. They're obsolete and were generally disliked by everyone except a handful of track cyclists when in production because the two-bolt design can lead to hotspots - but on the good side it's practically impossible to come unclipped from them unintentionally and they have a very positive feel when you clip in, but the main reason I stick with them instead of switching to newer pedals is that I like that they use metal cleats that you don't have to worry about wearing out.

>>1312503
I agree with this post.

The M520 is the gold standard pedal for all-around riding, commuting, and mountain biking - it may not be the lightest pedal, or as efficient as a road pedal with a larger cleat, but they work extremely well, last practically forever, and are remarkably inexpensive.
>>
>>1312503
I have a super old pair that barely hold tension anymore, accidentally unclipped the other day and sent my gonads straight into the top tube.

But why is their XTR big brother $180??
>>
>>1312052
Candy 3s and candy 7s.
>>
>>1312487
>riding over 20 miles on pins would probably be horrible
>imagine being this much of a soft footed faggot
I've done more than 60 miles on chucks and pinned flats no problem. Even if you're right about chucks lacking support, it's unneeded when you develop good feet muscles. Their canvas construction breaths really well preventing hot spots and the thin bottom allows you to feel the pedal really well.
>>
>>1312361
this is the worst advice. adjustable pinned flats and vans.
>>
File: Vans VS Chucks.jpg (64 KB, 949x561)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>1312547
I can accept adjustable flats but Vans? Disgusting
>>
>>1312361
yeah, i agree, the nylon pedals and pins are much nicer to live with on a casual bike
the only issue is finding a set with decent bearings
>>
>>1312555
At least vans don’t look like clown shoes
>>
having ridden pinned flats with chucks and vans and other shoes
i gotta say that these are by far the best shoes for cycling

leather means they actually mold to your feet, amazing comfort
leather also means that they're water resistant
they've got WAY better grip than most shoes
and the soles are really thin so you're not pedaling on a stack, which fucking sucks.

the only problem is they don't last that long and you might want to take your pins down a bit

chucks and vans both just suck by comparison. Although those shoes do hold up in trad cages & straps better because of the thick soles.
>>
feiyues are the other shoes i've found that are good for flat pedals, and a lot cheaper

the common thing between them and onitsuka tigers is they're actually designed for sport so they have decent grip and thinner soles
>>
>>1312582
>writes an essay about a shoe
>doesn't post the name
no shill shekels for you, I'm afraid.
>>
>>1312583
>most flexible sole ever put in a shoe
>good for pedaling
wanna know how I know you're slow?
>>
>>1312610
thin grippy soles are better for cycling than thicker stiffer ones with poor grip
I know this from touring thousands of km on both.
the low profile which doesn't give you a big pedal stack and the grip is more important. Not to mention shoes like that are all round much more comfortable and practical for walking and climbing around on stuff

If you want a stiff shoe, you have to go clipless
I ride spd-sl most of the time.

>>1312608
the file name says what they are
>>
>>1312613
>black-menswomens-mexico-blackblack
whatever gets you off I guess
>>
>>1312640
>onitsuka-tiger-sneakers-black-menswomens-mexico-66-blackblack-3

They're onitsuka tiger mexico 66
>>
>>1312503
>>1312519
and they only cost €20!
>>
Was there ever definite research about difference in "power transfer" between road and mtb clipless pedals? I see this argument quite often, but personally I don't feel difference.
>>
>>1312661
I think the main difference is you can drop 100g that you're constantly spinning around

i don't know how anyone could not feel that
>>
>>1312663
idk, eggbeaters and look keo classic weight the same
>>
>Commuting to work through the city
>Catch up to some Fred huffing and puffing along
>Approaching a red
>He starts to weeble-wobble all over the road
>Finally manages to unclip
>Wobble-rolls painstakingly slowly to the stop line
>Still almost overbalances
>He's barely got his foot down and the light changes
>Lurches off the line
>More weeble-wobbling and swerving as he fruitlessly tries to flip his pedal and clip in
>Finally clips in and gets about two turns of the crank before we're at the next junction
>Entire process repeats again

SPD-SL are not for commuting. You need to stop.
>>
>>1312661
There isn't much difference in power transfer between road and mtb clipless pedals. The difference is in contact patch and retention. You can dial in road pedals with zero float cleats just the way you want and they'll stay in the exact same position for hours.
>>
>>1312667
>You can dial in road pedals with zero float cleats just the way you want and they'll stay in the exact same position for hours.
And that's better how? Why speedplay pedals with their free float are so popular then?
>>
>>1312681
Because some people are too fucking stupid to set up their cleats so that their knees won't explode with anything less than 10 degrees of float. It's also about personal preference, some people like having float. Also the same people who can't adjust their cleats comment on every question about cleats that your knees are guaranteed to explode if you run anything but the biggest possible float in your cleats so a lot of people are too afraid to even try. I ran maximum float cleats for a few years before finding the light of zero float.

And even if you have higher float setup road pedals usually offer larger contact patch and at least for me the retention feels more secure.
>>
>>1312666
You're the kind of know-nothing who says disc brakes are bad because you might fly over the handlebars

t. clipless commuter
>>
>>1312665
the shoes don't weigh the same

a walkable sole and construction to facilitate it weighs an extra 100g at any price point
>>
File: Ladies-laughing-.jpg (656 KB, 2365x2057)
656 KB
656 KB JPG
>>1312666
>he can't do a trackstand indefinitely with no hands while clipped in
>>
File: 20180328_074054.jpg (150 KB, 605x807)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>1312666
I've been commuting on clipless for 3 years now, took me 1 week of daily commuting to learn how to do it.

I can't go back to regular pedals now when I've learnt how to pedal by lifting my foot up.
>>
File: product_360092_8724.jpg (26 KB, 558x479)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
These are the only things that come close and the work the same way, in terms of twisting your foot to get out but twisting your foot in also automatically cinches them down.
Clipless are better but these are surprisingly good, if you get the right version; shown here.
>>
Is it weird that I want good quality pinned platforms with reflectors? I’m not a racer, I just ride around and do groceries and errands and stuff. But I do it at night and in the winter, so I want reflectors on the pedals. The poorfag / child / BSO market all include them, but descent stuff tends not to. Oh: it would also be nice if they came in white to match the frameset. Is that too much to ask?
>>
>>1312720
Just put some reflective tape on your cranks.
>>
>>1312720
It's SO easy to add reflectors to whatever pedals you buy, or anywhere else

they also do almost nothing compared to decent lights
>>
File: 20171114_065256.jpg (643 KB, 908x1210)
643 KB
643 KB JPG
>>1312720
>>1312725
You can also put them on the frame.
>>
>>1312720
>reflectors for safety because bicycles are toys
I wonder how many deaths the CPSC is responsible for over all these years? It's got to be in the tens of thousands by now.
>>
>>1312737
The motion of the pedal reflectors helps clue someone in that it's a bicycle though.
>>
>>1312744
But that only applies to cars right? There's no way another cyclist would pick up whats infront by looking at the reflectors.
>>
Anyone use Frogs I liked em
>>
>>1312812

I used Frogs for a couple of seasons.
They were okay when new but they really suck with a bit of wear and tear.
>>
>>1312725
>high vis tape
No. That’s tacky, it would never stick to something as wet, dirty, and mobile as a crank, and I want the optical performance of real cube corner prisms.

>aftermarket
Might end up doing that, and it’s not hard as you say. Would rather have a factory solution though. Want it all sleek and integrated, with no clunky fasteners to rust and rattle.

>almost nothing compared to decent lights
Agreed; that’s why I have great dyno lights.

>>1312744
>pedal reflectors are special
This. Other lights tell people there’s something out there somewhere, pedal reflectors give them more information about what it is and where it’s going. It’s all part of the visual signature, giving everyone more time and space to decide what to do.

That’s the trouble (aside from being impolite and cancerous) with blinking. It attracts attention, but actually makes it harder to figure out exactly what and where the bike is!

>>1312746
>only cars have lights
Untrue, friendo. Other bicycles, and their pedal reflectors, show up just fine to me. I appreciate it when they do.

Of course all this junk has no place on sporting equipment or toys, but am I the only one who thinks it’s weird you can operate a vehicle on public roadways at night with nothing at all?!
>>
>>1312995
I've had the same hi-viz tape on my cranks for about 12000 miles of 4-season riding now. It's outlasted 2 bottom brackets, 3 chains, and 1 jockey wheel. I'm not sure what I'm doing differently than most, but one thing that might help is wiping the crust of road grime and rancid phil wood grease off the surface before you apply anything sticky.
>>
>>1313001
>high-vis tape can actually work here
Hmm, surprised. The cranks have a high finish and tight compound curves. They live in an activeand dirty environment. If it worked that well for you though, it wouldn’t hurt to try it...
>>
>>1313008
I used black 3M tape on black cranks, it's fairly subtle but you can see it in bright sunlight more so depending on angle of incidence of course. It's nearly pristine.

The stuff on my rims has the same number of miles, that tape is different (SOLAS tape, rather gaudy) and is really beat up at this point because of all my flat fixes and tire changes, but it still reflects perfectly well.
>>
>>1312995
>That’s the trouble (aside from being impolite and cancerous) with blinking. It attracts attention, but actually makes it harder to figure out exactly what and where the bike is!
Ok for construction workers, stopped emergency vehicles, signal lights, aircraft, boats, and heavy equipment but not for toys, Bikes are for children and must not attract attention or the cagers will be angry!
>>
File: he cute.jpg (88 KB, 334x334)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>1312503
Based and bike-pilled.
Only pedals I use on all my bicycles.
>>
>>1313008
I think you're really underestimating tape in general lol
>>
>>1312666
project much?
>>
>>1312118
why would you ?

thats extra weight and by the looks of it you are a roadfag
>>
File: BritishQuality.jpg (48 KB, 680x380)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>1312223
>>1312265
only quality pedals in this thread
>>
ITT: Cancer-children.
>>
>>1313267
dont you have pedals?
>>
>>1312503
I have these, but currently riding platforms because I can't find my left SPD shoe
>>
>>1313083
It works okay for stationary things because you don’t need to figure out where they’re going. Everything else you mention has several other non-blinking marker lights; the strobe attracts attention from a long way away, these other lights help define it’s shape and vector. Rapidly approaching a moving object with *just* a blinky light is really quite disconcerting. You know there’s something out there, but it’s not as easy to tell how far away it is, or if it’s moving across you’re own line of travel. If you don’t do a lot of driving at night you might not appreciate the difficulty, but it’s very real. Adding more power only makes the problem worse!

Bikes ARE for children, among other users, which only makes it all the more astounding that they can operate vehicles on public roadways (with no license at all, natch) with no reflectors or lights either. How is that a thing?!

>must not attract attention
Of course it’s good for all concerned that all road users be very visible, but all road users have lots of other things to pay attention to besides you. There’s only so much attention to go around. A bright flashing light is just being an attention whore, and selfish too.
>>
>>1313276
clean your room
>>
>>1313290
Thank you for confirming that the shrill, out-of-touch "no blinking lights" crowd is the same as the delusional "bikes belong on the sidewalk" cager crowd. Not that anyone had any doubts. I just appreciate your candor.
>>
>>1313344
>candor
I'm surprised you didn't spell it canDUUUURRRR
>>
>>1312503
I had look keo easy on my bike, and then I read Sheldon's website and the use of mtb pedals on a road bike, read a bit more about the subject on several sites and it looked like it was clearly the best option unless you are interested in racing or just going fast/muh grams. Purchased that pedals along a pair of garbon mtb shoes for some stiffness similar to the road bike shoes and the change was awesome,no problems on my pedaling, no fit problems and I could walk around my shoes while taking comfy rides.
>>
>>1313344
>long-winded treatise on bicycle road safety
>”bikes belong on sidewalk hurr durr”
>>
File: 21941.jpg (502 KB, 1492x1588)
502 KB
502 KB JPG
knockoff alloy pinned flats with an old pair of tough, stiff trailrunners.
>>
>>1315169
>fooker
wtc
>>
File: iu.jpg (1.02 MB, 1024x768)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
Recently bought a hybrid bike (Fuji Absolute). I used to ride BMX as a teenager with platform pedals. I got these Wellgo R146 platforms because I'm still uneasy about clipless pedals. I like how compact they are.
>>
>>1316424
Clipless on a hybrid looks weird as fuck. My brother did it for one of those supported fun rides though.
>>
File: class.jpg (178 KB, 1500x1066)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>1312555
the real answer

all leather=all good
near indestructible
actually has a sole and can be walked in (theyre indoor soccer shoes)
>>
>>1317365
Those aren't bad for riding on platforms
>>
>>1317365
>>1320830
These are an unofficial bike-mechanic shoe in the PNW. I love them for riding, and they're just cheap enough that the inside of the heel rots out before the pins on my pedals completely destroy the soles.
>>
>>1312503
based and redpilled
>>
>>1312522
extreme weight reduction
>>
>>1312503
only cucks buy shimano
>>
File: powertrapp1peadls_7.jpg (39 KB, 750x550)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Powertap p1's for me

coming from Shimano SPD-SL on all my road bikes I can say that they are much worse to clip in and that the base cleats that come with the powermeter have way too much float

Basic flatpedals on my commuter roadie.
>>
>>1321639
How do those work, you have to recharge your pedals every night?
>>
>>1324117
I've got the Favero Assioma pedals and they get around 60 hours of use per charge. So I charge them when my head unit says that their battery is low which is every few weeks.
>>
the ones that came with the bike
>>
>>1324166
Based
>>
>>1324166
>buying a bike that comes with pedals
>>
>>1312223
>>1312231
>>1312361
>>1313260
Any reason to buy these over 20€ chinkshit knockoffs?
>>
>>1324204
yeah the bearings last a lot longer on more expensive pedals
>>
what fkng difference does it make. a pedal is just a fkng pedal. you use your fkng legs to pedal the fkng bike you fk heads.
>>
File: scarab.jpg (105 KB, 566x397)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>
>>1324117
sorry for the delayed answer but the pedals have a small battery slot on the bottom where you can put in one AAA battery per pedal so no charging. Lasts about 60 hours if you put in the more expensive batteries whose name I forgot and about 30-40h if you put in cheap ones. If the batteries run low you get a notification on your head unit and then you just put in new ones.
>>
>>1324213
what difference does it make if you write fucking instead of fkng

>>1324212
How prevalent is bearing failure in pedals?

On one of my bikes I still have the cheapest possible SPD-SL pedals that came with the shoes I bought and so far the bearings have lasted 66k km and I've never serviced them once. No play at all and they still turn smoothly. Used in every possible (road) condition. I can imagine mtb pedal bearings die faster though.
>>
>>1324200
Even 4000$ bikes come with some shitty 5$ pedals, because boomers expect it
>>
>>1324267
No, it's so you can try it out and ride it home.
>>
>>1324267
Never seen that before. Every bike I buy or look at have no pedals.
>>
>>1324232
>How prevalent is bearing failure in pedals?
I've ridden bicycles for over 30 years and I've never experienced or heard of it. More than half of the bikes I've owned in my adult life were older than me, with their original pedals.
>>
>>1324297
which probably spin like absolute dogshit and or that just means you've ridden fuck all in your 30 years
>>
I ride platforms but I'm thinking about getting some powergrips or whatever they're called. The straps.
>>
i'm a cheapass and just stick to my 4 pairs of Look Keos between me and my gf. No clue how i ended up with 4 pairs, but we just deal with the creaking noise that they tend to do during break in period.

Easier to stock up on Grey cleats as well. 5 degree float to answer that question.
>>
>>1324319

oh right. insurance basically gave me a 3rd pair and the 4th was for a trainer.

Platform for the bikes that are used to go to a bar or grocery etc.
>>
>>1312090

it's also funny when people with SPDs fall from their cleats ripping off the sole of their cheap shoes not allowing them to unclip.

I've seen 3 in my experience. I lost one of my 3 bolts on my Keos and still survived tipping over.
>>
>>1324325
>cheap shoes
Well, that's the problem.
>>
>>1324345
>>1324325

>cheap shoes, cheap pedals
The result of people being cheap.
>>
imagine buying expensive pedals and having them stolen by anyone with a wrench
>>
>>1324300

This, friend rides his bike he got at age 14. With 2 kids in college now, he's kinda old. But he's gone through a few pedals already. Even when they are vintage dura-ace or whatever (i'm not into NOS)
>>
>>1324352
>cheap pedals
Ive been rocking my Shimano E-PDM520 for over 2000km now and they are only 20 bucks while riding with Specialized Sport MTB shoes for 90 bucks. No issues.

I guess some people are just unlucky.
>>
Is there a pedal that can be used as a platform, clipless, or strap? I'd like the flexibility.
>>
>>1324353
imagine storing a bike with expensive pedals in a place where someone can just take the pedals
>>
>>1324357
https://body-bike.com/product/shimano-pd-m324-pedals-w-toe-clips-and-straps/
>>
>>1324358
>get stalked by pedal thief
>have to pee, lock bike outside public bathroom
>come out, pedals are already gone
>>
>>1324550
>carrying a lock while out on a bike with expensive pedals
>not going to the bathroom with your bike
>>
>>1324552
i rest my case
>>
>>1324552
>pedal thief join you in the bathroom stall
>steal your pedals while youre stuck peeing
>>
>>1313083
>>1313344
>'''cage'''
Why do you insist on sounding like an infant throwing a tantrum?
Do you talk like that in public? People must think you're mentally unbalanced.
>>
>>1325383
Do you? We're on the internet retard
>>
File: 367180_3208418.jpg (150 KB, 1100x860)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
What are good pedals for shoes with deeper treads?
>>
>>1326129
pinned flats
>>
>>1326132
What are good pedals for keeping shins intact?
>>
>>1326132
raceface chesters have short, adjustable pins.
>>
>>1326146
I can find them for 50€, any alternatives in that price range or should I just go for these race face chesters platform?
>>
>>1312052
What exactly don't you like about cages + straps?
I like the convienience of using my normal shoes and beeing able to walk.
>>
>>1326363
They destroy "normal shoes" within a few weeks of regular use, they don't provide any significant advantage over a platform pedal, they're difficult to get out of in an emergency, and they're annoying, clumsy, and slow to get into.

If you need to wear "normal shoes" just use platforms, and stop LARPing as an old timey track cyclist. Cages and straps is an easy way to tell people who know nothing about bikes but want to look bad ass.
>>
>>1326397
>They destroy "normal shoes"
yes, but I don't use my pretty shoes for cage cycling

>they don't provide any significant advantage over a platform pedal
What
They tie your shoe to the pedal to allow pulling up the pedals for more force. Thats the whole point.
Massive improvement, especially uphill.

>they're annoying
uhm.. no

>stop LARPing as an old timey track cyclist.
???

I understand that they're not the choice for serious race riding and practicing but for a hobby cyclist they make a lot of sense for me.
I have 4 bikes, 1 with cages and straps and I love it.
>>
>>1326418
>allow pulling up the pedals for more force

No, that's fucking retarded. The only time you might do that with actual clipless pedals is during a sprint, and even then you're more unweighting your leg than actually applying upwards force.
Also that's a fucking retarded idea unless you actually have your straps tight, as in you definitely would have to tighten them after you slip your shoes in there.
>>
>>1326418
>I don't use my pretty shoes for cage cycling
So wear normal clipless sneakers then. You know there are other options besides death trap toe cages with Berluti wholecuts, and completely rigid full carbon horse hooves with 20nm sprinter pedals, right?

>They tie your shoe to the pedal
Hardly. It's very easy to slip out unless you tighten them to the point where they're basically a death trap

>to allow pulling up the pedals for more force
Barely any force considering you're smashing the uppers of your shoes against this flimsy sharp strip of metal. Actual clipless pedals allow you to apply force in any reasonable direction for pedaling, while unclipping easily using a simple instantaneous non-pedaling motion

>uhm.. no
Uhm yes

>they're not the choice for serious race riding and practicing
They're literally not the choice for anything. They take the worst elements of foot retention and no foot retention, discard any of the benefits, and combine to form an abomination that should not be used by anyone under any circumstances other than masochistic cosplay l'eroica LARPs
>>
>>1326433
l'eroica is the dumbest shit. Their rules specify that 1987 is the cutoff for what they consider vintage, but they don't allow clipless pedals, even though modern clipless is based on a design from fucking 1895. And they don't allow aero-routed brakes even though Modolo came out with them in 1980, and Campy C-Record allowed for it as well. Fuck knows there was also someone who did it in the 1800s too.
>>
>>1326433
seethe harder foot retentionlet

i bet you can't even do a trackstand
>>
>>1326490
Do you think they should allow aero brake levers and clipless pedals?
or are you just being pedantic about the rules not being logical?
>>
File: s-l500.jpg (31 KB, 500x375)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>1317365
I started using my SuperflyX 6 Elite IC with my platforms for a little and they're great.
>>1324316
got em
>>1312717
based, I didn't get this version though, I got the one with the mounting clip allowing for arbitrary adjustment.
>>
>>1326493
Not that I'd ever do an eroica ride, but generally if you're doing historical reenactments you should try to be historically accurate. So yeah they should allow aero levers and clipless pedals so long as they're pre-1987.
>>
>>1326557
>Not that I'd ever do an eroica ride
why not?
>>
File: sk8 hi pro.jpg (207 KB, 1200x1200)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
>>1320843
i use these because of that little extra hi-top over the ankle. t. dirt jump goon
>>
>>1326557
They do.
>>
>>1326129
Have those exact shoes and raceface chesters hold me on real nice
>>
>>1326558
Because even though I have multiple bikes that would fly through their inspection, I prefer non-competitive rides to be about the ride, not about the bicycle.
>>1327128
Not according to the rurrus on their site.
>>
>>1326491
>I make bad equipment choices so I’m a skilled cyclist
Let me guess, brakeless fixie with thickslicks and spinergy carbon wheels
>>
>>1327186
no and i have spd-sl on the bike i rode today

so i take that as you can't do a trackstand
>>
>>1327196
>not falling over is hard
No wonder you're afraid of foot retention
>>
Road: Speedplay
Mountain clipless: Crank Bros Double Shot (Crank Bros Mallet if you want clipless on both sides)
Mountain flat: Wellgo MG-1
>>
>>1312118
You can drill out the thickest parts and put pins in those for extra grip.
>>
>>1312052
I went with speedplay because that's what my shop carried. Also, I feel like someone is less likely to successfully steal my bike riding on the lollipop design.

Love the double sides.
>>
>>1327509
good lord why?
>>
File: 1480097006883.jpg (437 KB, 900x600)
437 KB
437 KB JPG
>>1312555
both are ugly af, but all star is worse somehow
>>
>>1326418
pulling up is a meme
>>
>>1328167
It’s too bad New Balance declared war on normal humans because they make alright shoes
>>
>>1328416
What? Is this some stupid political shit about kneeling or not kneeling?
>>
>>1328420
They supported pulling out of the TPP which I guess has made our newly arrived antifag angry at them because bromble brumph also supported pulling out of TPP
>>
>>1328420
>>1328431
Hello samefriend I’ve been on /n/ since the first month it was turned into a board for decent people. Also you know perfectly well what NB is about, what they stand for, and what demographic is their newest favorite customer. But sure, I’m the racist here. My existence is literally white genocide
>>
>>1328434
Somehow I doing that you've been here for much longer than the past few days of shitting up every thread with /pol/ nonsense. Fuck off back there.
>>
>>1328438
t.the guy who found /n/ after the Green New Deal made the rounds on /pol/. You aren’t fooling anyone here. This isn’t the board you’re looking for
>>
>>1328442
The only thing I want is to be able to discuss cycling, planes, trains, and other stuff without poltards and redditors derailing every thread with off-topic bullshit like you and your buddies have been doing lately. 2016 ruined this place, I fucking swear.
>>
>>1328445
I made the thread to talk about pedals. You came along and started whinging about the anteefa libtards running Trek. I replied in kind thinking ok whatever, one jokey comment and this will be over. And you went nuts and started samefagging it up. And now I'm the bad guy, as usual, because you couldn't handle the fact that someone had a different opinion than you on a topic that you brought up out of nowhere.

Please return to your containment board. Or not. We can keep talking about your stupid racist garbage ideas, and you can keep crying about how "you just want to talk about cycling". You shit up everything you touch. I understand I have no control over that, so by all means. Piss on the floor. Wipe your own shit on the walls. That's your way.
>>
>>1328465
>>1328445
Oh wait sorry it looks like it was one of my other threads that you shat also up, the one about groupsets and high end vs low end. In this one you got butt blasted about someone not liking the same brand of shoes as you - non-cycling shoes, I might add. So, you want to talk bikes? Let's talk bikes. You want to shit this place up with your /pol/ stink? No one can stop you.
>>
>>1328465
You're absolutely shit at detecting samefags. I have no idea what Trek even has to do with this discussion. All that I know is that you and others are shitting this thread up with your /pol/ bullshit, and that you've done it to others, and now you cry that you're the victim and that everyone else is a fucking racist because they don't want your bullshit on this board. You're just a shit cunt troll. Again: fuck off and get caged, cunt.
>>1328469
I don't even own a single bloody pair of NBs and don't give a toss about the company. I'm more of a Mizuno kinda guy when it comes to sneakers. The LD40s are rather nice for flat pedals, just did a 30mi gravel ride in mine. And yeah, I'd love to talk bikes. Do you own one?
>>
>>1328546
>shit up a thread
>huh? why are people I don’t like talking about politics?
Say “fringie” again
>>
the reflectors come off
>>
File: time-xpresso6.jpg (103 KB, 1000x1000)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
Large platform, high float, which I like. Neat clip-in mechanism that's super satisfying.
>>
>>1329066
Wood hit chins /10
>>
>>1329732
I really wanna go back to TIME pedals but somehow they managed to make the perfect pedal with the Equipe and each successive generation kept getting worse. iClic was just a fucking mess tho it was easier to clip in than anything else. I've heard that the Xpro is actually reliable with no glaring design flaws tho.

Currently my road clipless is MKS US-L with the rinko system that makes it easy for me to swap the pedals between bikes or when I want to quickly swap them out for plattys without busting out the pedal wrench.
>>
>>1329743
My only minor gripe with them is that their shape or centre of gravity or something means that after having clipped out they don't always hang just right for getting back into them in a fluid motion from a stop. I mostly go for long rides in the back country so I don't clip out a lot in general, which means that's not really something that bothers me at all. They're pretty much perfect for me.
>>
>>1312052
If you dont ride spd you are probably a basic bitch although more obscure and road balances pedals are also acceptable.

Personally I made the switch after I killed a crank arm on my single speed to allow me to transfer power better. Never looking back.

If you have tried spd/clipless and seriously went back to flats you probably voted democrat because this time they're not just a corrupt shithead using liberal talking points to gloss over a record of Incompetence and corruption.

Vote republican.
Vote right
Vote clipless

-bike vagabo/n/d dono
>>
>>1329066
FUCK THOSE THINGS
>>1329735
THIS 1000%. MANY SUCH INJURIES. SAD.
>>
>>1329750
but im too poor to afford my republican consumable look cleats every 6 months ? what do ? 3d scan them and 3D print them out of laser sintered Ti and make a business out of it while giving the shitty chink copies a run for their money in the free market ???

I THINK SO. FUCK YEAH.
>>
>>1329750
Cringe. 4chan is not your alt-right safe space.
>>
>>1329778
How fucking much do you people walk on your cleats to wear them down at a rate that is anything other than completely irrelevant? You're not supposed to go on hikes you know?

captcha: Select all images with bicycles
>>
>>1329800
It's a small thing, but if you get used to metal cleats that last for years at a stretch then it's annoying to deal with plastic bullshit.
>>
>clips suck, go clipless unless you want to look like some hipster loser

Literally the most reddit answer. Go ahead, look it up.
>>
>>1329800
cleats have become absolute trash and quickly wear down from just clipping and unclipping, never mind the occasional waddle in and out of a cafe.
>>
File: IMG_20190511_193026689.jpg (421 KB, 1397x1768)
421 KB
421 KB JPG
aftermath of pinned flats on babby's first singletrack ride today. but no, i'm not going to go clipless, i'm just going to learn to not suck so much.
>>
>>1330202

HTFU
>>
>>1330183
Ahem

>>1330202

There are plenty of reasons to get something better then flats
>>
>>1330183
Clips are ok for a commuter (source: everything I do = correct), but they become unsafe during long rides, as you will want to tighten them by hand, which on itself is an inconvenience as it needs to be done in motion.
>>
>>1330221
>Ahem

Did you have something to say sweetheart?
>>
>>1330229
>which on itself is an inconvenience

Sorry I inconvenienced you, soft flowery Zoomer. Grow! Grow!
>>
>>1330202
you're like a little baby

My friend slit his whole fucking calf open after slipping from his pinned flats.
Literally the whole calf. He had to be hospitalized and got stiches over the full lengh.

This is the reason I don't use flats with too long pins. They're made for riding with footguards.
>>
>>1330229
But clips are at their worst when commuting assuming you're riding in urban areas.
>>
Clips fucking suck. For anything. Stop using them.

Now what is good is multi-release SPDs. Love them. Great for commuting.
>>
>>1330229
No, you are a fool
>>
File: jesusrider.jpg (116 KB, 824x1047)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
The future is now
>>
Why. If they're loose you can slip your feet in and out without a problem, and at the very least they help set yourself up for a faster takeoff at red lights and such.
>>
>>1330334

>>1330281>>1330281
>>1330281>>1330281
>>
>>1312118
Have you used them in the rain? I let the bike shop guy upsell me to a pinned 2-side mtb pair because the A530s felt like they were made of teflon
>>
File: Capture.jpg (35 KB, 590x446)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>1312052
These, Platform, light and robust
>>
>>1330323
I"ve been thinking about a pair of those. The only thing is I have a fear of getting my toes jammed under the fender, or mangled in the chainring
>>
File: sandals.jpg (16 KB, 350x350)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>1330323
Extra comfy! I used to ride in sandals as a kid all the time. I NEED a pair for this summer
>>
>>1332059
Bought them last year, no such risk. Comfy as fuck.
>>
>>1332216
No such risk for you, you mean. You never get toe strike with your bike?
>>
>>1312351
>>1312353
I used to ride a lot on flats (looked kind alike the ones in >>1312064) and the shoe soles got some damages to accommodate for them pedal teeth, thanks to which they sat nicely.
And if the holes don't go all the way thru, the shoe ain't destroyed yet.

Also, I used "trekking" shoes - they have harder soles and are stiffer overall, than your ordinary running shoes. Cheers.
>>
>>1332216
Do you wear socks with them?
>>
>>1330323
ps. Sheldon Brown (RIP) was doing this decades ago.
>>
>>1332255
Only when I'm in EU
>>
>>1330323
peak boomercore
>>
>>1324204
They measure your power output.
>>
>>1332361
they don't
>>
>>1312191

>that mirror

Disgusting
>>
File: zeray-zp110.jpg (47 KB, 466x434)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
I bought two pairs of Zeray ZP-110 as I needed another set of clipless pedals for my indoor training bike. They're Look Keo compatible and are as light as advertised. Replaced my old beat up shimano r540 with it.
I've only used them indoor for like 1,5h yet. Lets see how they hold up,
>>
>>1332256
And now he's dead. Coincidence?
>>
File: IMG_20190418_151601.jpg (399 KB, 2592x1944)
399 KB
399 KB JPG
hello, fellow /n/erds, and welcome to today's episode: "converting VP-500 BMX pedals into pinned flats."

first, assemble 24 #20-sized set screws, a #20 tap, a drill and bits.
>>
File: IMG_20190418_212642.jpg (936 KB, 1944x2592)
936 KB
936 KB JPG
>>1335679
next, remove the spindles, races, and bearings and drill out the pedal where you want your pins to go. I chose 6 pins per surface.
then, tap the holes to thread them for the set screws.
>>
File: IMG_20190418_215940.jpg (661 KB, 1944x2592)
661 KB
661 KB JPG
>>1335683
now screw your set screws into the holes.
get a new set of bearings to go into you're re-greased cups and races and re-assemble the spindles.
>>
File: IMG_20190523_155557.jpg (750 KB, 2592x1944)
750 KB
750 KB JPG
>>1335688
screw assembled pedals back onto the crank and test ride to adjust height of the pins.
then douse each pin in threadlocker and work it back and forth in the hole and back to original position.
let dry, ride, and enjoy a much improved grip on your shoes.
>>
>>1335679
>>1335683
>>1335688
that's actually pretty nice
it looks like a couple of those holes left some pretty thin metal stripes there though, hope those won't crack
>>
>>1335690
thanks
I dunno, the fit was pretty loose in there, it shouldn't have any interference from shavings. the threadlocker was very necessary
>>
>Using pedals
>>
>>1335689
Those pins look too fat to me.
>>
Miche, because unlike look 0 float is actually 0 float on a miche pedal.
>>
Can someone give me a quick rundown on pedals? I tangentially follow bicycling (more of an /o/tist usually) and it's an aspect of bikes I really find confusing.
>>
File: 66f.jpg (63 KB, 800x576)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>1337302
It's more about the shoes. You want them to be rigid so you aren't wasting power on bending your feet.
>>
>>1337302
>>1337363
This and it locks you into that 'sweet' spot on your foot so each pedal stroke is an ideal pedal stroke
>>
>>1337276
use whatever circumference you like, pal.
they seem fine for my purposes.
>>
>>1312701
>whackstanding
>>
I am getting so fucking tired of not clipping in at intersections after stopping, one of these days it's going to end up getting me killed.

I wanna give double-sided pedals a go eventually. I'm thinking about getting speedplays since I already have three bolt pattern shoes and they look like they cover more surface than SPDs. However I haven't heard much about them compared to SPD-SLs. Help pls??
>>
>>1337302
It's almost impossible to ride a bike that has no pedals. Once you install pedals riding a bike is night and day.
>>
>>1338933
go back to flat pedals until you get good at trackstands

i hardly ever unclip at intersections

by good i mean, doesn't take any effort to sustain, not the wobbling unsteady shit i see. as in you can reach down and get a bottle out and drink while doing it, or do it no hands
>>
>>1338933
That's why I usually use plattys when I commute. Can't be fucked to clip in 10 times over 4 miles. When I'm on recreational rides my strategy is to lightly pedal until I'm thru the intersection. No reason to mash, I'm not starting off with a fucking sprint. If I happen to clip in at the time, great, if not, I'll clip in once I'm going.

Speedplays are neat but wonky. Fantastic if you have knee pain with other pedals. You need to grease their bearings on a regular basis and keep the pedals and cleats extra clean. Wouldn't use them in shit weather because of that. They're kind of a bitch to engage. And you really need to use their cleat covers whenever walking. You might want to consider Time XPro. They have really easy engagement and a nice wide platform. Downside of those is that the cleats are fucking fragile. Which is ultimately why I'm sticking with the MKS US-L rinko pedals and Look cleats. Don't use the QR feature to swap out pedals all that often but it's nice to have if I feel like swapping for platforms without a wrench.
>>
>>1338938
If only it were that easy, lol.

>>1338942
I use platforms with foot retention for commuting. But for group rides and solo recreational riding, I'm the guy that likes to stop at every red light and yield at every stop sign, so I also happen to be clipping and unclipping all the time. Looking down trying to clip in while entering an intersection is a big no-no for me and I'd love something double sided to mitigate that.

If the speedplays are maintenance heavy, that's a good enough sacrifice for a good road two-sided pedal. What do you mean by wonky though? I've heard other people say that they feel like they could unclip during sprints, which sounds pretty bad
>>
>>1338938
Normies get really pissy about trackstanding here, they think you're trying to run them over unless you have one foot on the ground
>>
>>1338990
>Looking down trying to clip in while entering an intersection is a big no-no for me and I'd love something double sided to mitigate that.
Yeah that's a "people with toe straps" problem, just get SPD M540s and be done with it
>>
Time ATAC is the superior pedal. It is expensive but the quality control and robustness is second to none, and they never clog with mud.
>>
>>1338990
>Looking down trying to clip in while entering an intersection is a big no-no for me and I'd love something double sided to mitigate that.
Have you considered 'pedalling without being clipped in'?
>>
>>1339014
>>1339196
I meant as in clipping in to my SPD-SLs, not my toe clips. The underside of the SPD-SLs just slip off my cycling shoes so its either clip in or be stuck in traffic
>>
>>1339252
I know you're talking about a clip-in system. Surely you can pedal to some extent without clipping both feet in?
>>
File: IMG_20190530_144049366.jpg (1.5 MB, 2671x3811)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
just arrived in the mail 30 minutes ago.
>>
>>1339253
eh, yeah, but it's just a bit precarious, the cycling shoes have basically no grip on the pedal when they're not clipped in. Perhaps its a shoe problem rather than a pedal one. Or just simple a get gud situation

Tbh, it's a small concern in the grand scheme of things since im only using my road bike once a week to get to the prime riding areas of the city. Clipping in just sucks a lot.
>>
>>1339285
it's simply git gud at one legged pedaling and just clipping in generally. 99.9% of the time i clip into my spd-sls or am just a minor foot wiggle to clip in, that 0.1% of the time i land my foot on the wrong side of the pedal. it happens but you get better at avoiding and correcting it with time.
>>
>>1339285
It's basically git gud. Just pedal in a low gear and don't mash until you're clipped in. Hill starts can be a bastard tho.
>>
>>1339018
Do they make a power meter pedal though?
>>
>>1330323
>>
File: IMG_20190519_124349_1_1.jpg (404 KB, 1143x813)
404 KB
404 KB JPG
To all your clip with strap pedal hating clit lickers:

Your turboshilling for clipless made my buy a pair of SPDs + shoes. Got a couple hundred kilometers on them now.

Clipsless vs. clip with straps comparison:

Shoe-Pedal bond:
Equal if you have a tight shoe.

Feet falling asleep:
Happens on both systems

Getting in and out:
Clipless are easier

Accident situation:
Clipless are propably safer but I guess both systems are shit during an accident

Convienience:
Straps are cheaper and you can ride the other side of the pedal in the city without slipping in. Walking in SPDs is easy but in normal shoes it's even easier.

Overall:
Clipless are pretty good, but clips with straps aren't as bad as you think - as long as you get stepless adjustable ones and know how to use them.
>>
spd with spd-sl shoes but with spd cleat attched to it instead of delta spd-sl cleat
>>
>>1312720
Check out MKS Gamma pedals, friend
>>
>>1312503
The one true pedal. No other option.
>>
>>1341856
>Accident situation:
>Clipless are propably safer but I guess both systems are shit during an accident
If you fall off your bike or get hit by a car or have some other accident your shoes will unclip automatically. Unlike straps, which will hold your feet on the pedals and pull you with the bike. Clipless are much safer.
>you can ride the other side of the pedal in the city without slipping in.
You can do the same with single-sided clipless like these >>1312118. I have Crank Brothers Double Shot 1 and they're great for city riding.

If you can afford them, clipless pedals with proper shoes will be a better choice. If you don't have enough shekels, you can substitute them with clips and straps.
>>
>>1342052
>If you fall off your bike or get hit by a car or have some other accident your shoes will unclip automatically.
t. didn't read the manual
>>
I don't have clickless pedals, neither do I have the shoes for it.

I want to buy a new pair of pedal, are hybrids okay, or should I avoid them?
I could buy clickless shoes later on, and still continue using those pedals, instead of buying new ones again.
>>
>>1343742
Hybrids are dumb and rare for a reason.
>>
File: 51vgQJeK5WL.jpg (59 KB, 500x500)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>1343742
You can buy regular CLIPLESS (not clickless) pedals then buy platform adapters that attach to them so you can use them as regular pedals.
>>
File: VP335T.jpg (22 KB, 640x480)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
i like toe clips since i pull up a lot on climbs (i commute on a single speed but also like it on my road bike) and i find it makes climbing way easier (anyone who says that's bullshit has never actually tried pulling up the pedals to move from a standstill at the from the foot of a hill)
the market on my country is very limited for clip pedals (called foot-firmers here) and mostly consist of the more mountain bike type of clips that are meant to be used in about any pedal with removable plates. The best (and only) actual road bike clips around are the VP-335T and fortunately they're very good and gentle on the toes while having good foot platform and straps. I use them on both bikes (i replace the included nylon straps for leather ones)
>>
>>1345861
Clipless is stupid name too. 'Clip-in pedals' is the only satisfactory solution.
>>
>>1343742
I have a pair of hybrid pedals I swap from bike to bike. They’re nice but you always end up using one side way more than the other in my experience
>>
I have some Ultegra SPL-SL's, with the yellow cleats, might try the blue ones next but 2bh I dont have any problems with the yellow ones.
>>
>>1345861
This is pedal setup is stupid
>>
>>1345929
I just call the pedals by their respective mechanism, i.e. Look, SPD-SL, Speedplay, platform bullshit, etc.
>>
>>1312503
I have M540s but same deal. I tried a friend's road bikes with SPD-SLs, and I disliked it immediately. Yellow cleats have more float than SPDs do, so that was the first thing I noticed when I was sprinting. Obviously, the SPD-SL shoes are harder to walk in, but not as hard as I thought it would be. No, my biggest gripe was the pedals being single sided and at the wrong angle all the time. It made clipping in while in traffic a dangerous prospect. Unlike my SPD shoes, the arch on the sole of the shoe is just plastic, unrubberized. Combined with the slippery, smooth shape of the wrong side of the pedal, there was no way to stand on the pedals without being clipped in. This is handy when you want to pedal without clipping in, or are only clipped in on one side.

I'll stick with SPD for the rest of my life. If I need lighter equipment, there's always XC stuff.
>>
Pedał means homo here.
>>
>>1345877
Order it online.
If clips go for metal clips + metal pedals. This plastic shit looks disgusting.
Get the metal clip one with two holes for the strap instead of one in the middle. And you can ride the other side of the pedal without clips.

MKS Sylvan pedals
+ Soma Oppy X 2-Gate clips
+ generic nylon strap
>>
File: vintagecleats-4 (1).jpg (195 KB, 1450x1036)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>1348079
>metal pedals
>MKS Sylvan

>tiny thin metal ridges that dig into shoes
vs
>5+ times as wide nylon supports

If you don't have a cleat like pic related, trad metal pedals designed for cleats like that will cut a ridge into your shoes.
>>
any opinions on magnetic pedals? They seem like a neat idea.
>>
>>1312052
Small "icecream bar" platforms suck in my opinion. That's about it. Pretty stoked on the new cheap plastic ones like the RaceFace Chester, they did the right thing at the end of the day imho, why use expensive materials where plastic is nearly the same weight as carbon fibre? Also you can bash plastic on rocks.
>>
>>1348908
i like nylon pedals too, as long as they have decent bearings.
feels nicer to live with when it rubs on your shins and stuff

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.