[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: bqg5.png (974 KB, 1500x943)
974 KB
974 KB PNG
/bqg/ - Bike Questions General

Last thread: >>1303470

/n/ Discord: https://discord.gg/z5pdNh2

Resources:
https://sheldonbrown.com/
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
https://booksdescr.com/item/detail/id/1444747

If you want help picking out a bike to purchase, ask in >>>/n/bbg
>>
File: folders.jpg (1.47 MB, 6536x1795)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
don't shill your discord in the BQG op lad
>>
>>1308612
>folding memer acting like he has the right to complain about anything
kek
>>
>>1308610
is there anyway way to make a trainer without wood or out of stuff i just laying around. just need to get the back tire off the ground so i can pedal
>>
>>1308651
Probably, but how you gonna provide resistance?
>>
>>1308651
https://youtube.com/watch?v=gOQM3_QKgt8&t=335s
>>
Guys, help a noob out. I recently got my first road bike and I've been having a lot of fun. Quite some time spent fine-tuning it too, as whoever assembled the bike doesn't seem to have really cared.
Anyway, my biggest problem right now is that I can't break from the hoods, I understand hood braking isn't as effective as doing it from the drops, yet this goes beyond that - I can barely stop at all from the hoods, unless I really reach for the end of the lever and strain my whole wrist and hand, pushing with all force. Braking from the drops works alright - I can lock the wheels if I want to, though the distance the lever travels is a bit long for my preference. I have already tweaked the barrel adjuster by the brake so it leaves about 2mm on both sides, but that hasn't helped much, niether does tightening it further or less. The problem seems to stem from the levers sensitivity, so to say - that is the travel distance is too far. All of the above concerns both brakes, I'll apreciate your help. The breaks are side-pull dual-pivot calipers, and the shifter/break levers are shimano tourney.
>>
>>1308846
So you've got tourney levers, which are fairly bottom of the barrel, and I don't have 100% experience with them. They're better than non-branded garbage though. You tweaked the barrel adjuster, but have you actually gotten your brakes any closer to the rim? Try tightening your brakes as close to the rim as your wheel truing will allow.

Alternatively, move the bars so that your hands get better leverage when you're breaking. This could be a simple fix with loosening the stem clamp or doing some adjustments on the hoods themselves. Hope either of these helps. My wife had a similar problem on an old old bike we ended resolving by getting some new tektro brakes (shifters non integrated). I'd exhaust some of your options before moving on something like that.
>>
>>1308846
Tighten the cable tension. Barrel adjustors are only for minor adjustments, it sounds like you might need to add more tension than the barrel adjusters will allow for. Sheldon Brown and Park Tool (links in OP) have tutorials
>>
File: 20190403_205424.jpg (1 MB, 3916x1877)
1 MB
1 MB JPG
Best guess for the order of these washers? One nylon, three thin metal and one fat metal washer. The left and right levers came off the bike with different orders, so I'm not trusting that too much.
>>
>>1308862
Nylon inside the cup, the darker thin one and thick one on both sides (however way they seem to fit best), the other thin ones on the outside.
>>
giant atx or fuji nevada
>>
>>1308928
nevada if you can afford it
>>
>>1308862
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPavfGvu714
>>
>>1308862
just try whatever seems like it would work lmao
>>
>>1308846
the problem isn't the levers.
It's extremely cheap calipers, and extremely cheap cables and extremely cheap pads and poor adjustment.

The levers are just pulling cable, it's not complex. Nearly all tourney road bikes come with absolute garbage brake calipers and cables though. And pads

What you need to do is at the very least replace the pads, and ideally, replace the calipers, and recable.
>>
>>1308928
nevada but ironically the lowest end one with the triple. because nobody likes a one trick pony
>>
whats the right way to take a tire off the rim? i always end up damaging the rim because it just wont come off.. not even with the tools that are supposed to make it easy. its one of those that have some metal wire in it that locks it on the rimit and its very hard to stretch it so much that it comes off
>>
>>1309214
the bead of the tire sits on the hook of the rim
the well of the rim (the centre) has a smaller circumference than the hook of the rim
so if you go around with your hands, pushing the bead off the hook, into the well of the rim, you'll create slack in the tire where you want to get it off or on the rim.
>>
>>1309214
hm.. got it off but the tire gets damaged too because lots of force has to be used. i have done this but i always forget how it should be done so i do it wrong few times and the metal tools make dents in the rims when they bounce off
>>
>>1309215
i have tried so much things but i only get them off by using damaging force. its like the tire is too small or something because it just sits there but somehow it goes on the rim very easily
>>
>>1309216
>the metal tools
oh no man no no no no
you need high quality plastic levers
>>
>>1309217
yeah have you tried that though?
>>
>>1309218
but those would snap with the force that i have to use. one holds the tire and another forces it off the rim if everything goes right
>>
>>1309220
nah the quality ones are really strong, no one uses metal levers for the reason you say, they damage your rims.
and do you understand what i was saying before?
do you do that?
>>
>>1309222
they do damage but i just cant get them off without them. i have tried to do all those things they say on the internet but the tire just stays on the rim. theres no magic hole in there where you can just push it and have it come off
>>
>>1309223
also this is the rim type that you have in those cheap wallmart bsos too not some nice mtb rim where everything is easy
>>
>>1309223
do you understand what i was saying before?
do you do that?
>>
>>1309225
probably no since it wont come off that way. it almost makes me angry when people say just push it and it will come off because that has never worked. maybe it would work if i took off the tape thing thats in the rim but currently it just wont work
>>
>>1309230
So, you don't understand what I was saying?
But you also know that it won't work?

You're convinced that there's no method which you haven't tried?
Yet, you still fail at removing tires?

These are contradictions anon. I'm telling you that it's the way. Have another go at getting your head around this;
>the bead of the tire sits on the hook of the rim
the well of the rim (the centre) has a smaller circumference than the hook of the rim
so if you go around with your hands, pushing the bead off the hook, into the well of the rim, you'll create slack in the tire where you want to get it off or on the rim.

It's really quite simple and it makes a big difference.
>>
>>1309230
could be that the winter tires are fucked too. the summer tires come off really easily but those just wont. just noticed this because i was so annoyed by this that i put the other tire in so it rotates to the wrong direction
>>
>>1309238
If it's Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, the only way to deal with a flat is to throw the whole bike in the trash.
>>
File: images.png (8 KB, 274x184)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>1309230
let me use a picture
the blue is the tyre
the salmon is the innertube
the red dot is the bead of the tyre

see how the bead of the tyre sits on a hook on the rim?
And see how the innertube sits further into the rim, into the well of the rim?
If you deflate the tube all the way, you can work the bead of the tire off the hook, into the well of the rim, with your hands.

The well of the rim is a smaller circle than the hook of the rim. So the tire bead will fit more loosely on it, and it will be easy to push it over the edge of the rim, at one point.

Get it?
>>
>>1309245
*the dark blue / purple is the tyre
the light blue is the well of the rim

>>1309244
nonsense. they're only hard to get on when they're new. They're quite easy to get off again with correct technique.
>>
>>1309245
idk.. it just wont work even if i do all that you said. the summer tires are much softer and that works on them but these marathon winters are so hard that pushing them like that feels uncomfortable and still wont make them loose enough.
>>
>>1309256
its not even on the hooks.. its like the tire shrinks every time just enough to not come off the rim without damaging something.
>>
>>1308854
>>1308858
>>1309125
Thanks guys. I tensioned the cable - that made it a bit better, but changeing the hood angle helped more. Breaking is somewhat possible now, still unsatisfactory though. I'll try changing the pads first.
>>
How would you go about replacing a cheap 70's OTS rear derailleur without paying more than the bike is worth? Would spending 15 bucks on a chinkshit or used one be a sane idea? The thought of spending over 50€ on outdated replacements when I could have a whole "new" bike with integrated shifters for 100 just doesn't sit well with me. The first one broke so they're obviously not as indestructible as every other component in it. A cheap ghetto way to do a fixie conversion would also be satisfactory, my commute is on flat ground and I've been using it as a single-gear for a while now.
>>
>>1309310
you can get an altus for ~$20, they're decent
tourney with a claw is even less if you need a claw

post some pics
>>
>>1309310
my suggestion would be like any good hesher to obtain a 'parts bike'. What is the the make and model of the bike maybe someone can help you if we have more info.
>>
File: Triplex%20Extra%201[1].jpg (2.24 MB, 2592x1936)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
>>1309311
Wouldn't the Altus be too thin? It's a thicc chain, same as on a single-speed. I already tried with a modern 10 speed mtb SRAM I had laying around with the intention of simply swapping the jockey wheel, but it didn't go through the guards. That would definitely be an optimal solution if it worked tho. It uses friction shifters so the number of gears itself shouldn't be a problem.
>>1309313
Good idea too. They're cheap and I could replace a couple more things, possibly everything but the wheels, bar and saddle. It is repainted so I don't even know the exact model (probably a small maker, I think Torrot).
The mech is something like this only less rusty. The spring lost 90% of its tension. It is closed with rivets and so old I didn't bother opening it up, but maybe it is worth a try. Maybe the spring itself isn't too different from modern ones.
>>
>>1309323
Not him but pretty sure Shimano makes Altus for 6 and 7 speed for their walmart tier bikes so it should work.
>>
>>1309327
I'll probably go with this. Apparently even if the chains they use are a bit thinner on the outside, inner diameter is the same so it should work with the rest of the drivetrain.
>>
>>1309323
post a picture of your bike dude
>>
File: Photo0075.jpg (578 KB, 1288x758)
578 KB
578 KB JPG
>>1309332
(it's an old pic don't mind the saddle angle my balls survived)
>>
>>1309335
oh yo
that's pretty nice man
get one of these, it'll work, and if you ever bust your rear wheel you can just chuck a 7 or 8 speed cassette wheel in there as a straight upgrade and get nicer shifting with the hyperglide ramps and a wider spread
>>
File: 51VcrBsElSL.jpg (37 KB, 404x500)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1309335
>>
>>1309339
Will do.
The wheel already fits ultra-"snug" (have to use leverage to spread the stays open to put it in). Inserting a modern hub there would require using RJ the bike guy's ghetto contraption to spread them even further so as much as I'd like it I'm a bit cautions about the idea.
>>
>>1309335
Get the Altus (M310) like the other guy said. I'm planning on doing the same for my old road bike. The only drawback I can think of is that the M310 is made for wide range cassettes, so it might have a needlessly large clearance if you have a cassette with small cogs.
>>
Last night, I passed a recumbent going the other way, but it was very tall. I only glanced, but it looked like his torso was at the level of my head and the pedals higher.
Do these tall recumbents have a name? Am I going to get killed trying to ride it on the road?
>>
File: shimano-st-ef65-black.jpg (36 KB, 584x440)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
I got some water trapped inside my Shimano shifters, under the transparent plastic visor after riding on the rain today.

How can I remove it or dry it? My autism is strong and it bothers me to see moisture in there.
>>
>>1309448
Leave it in a warm and dry place.
>>
File: IMG_20190404_223422_639.jpg (177 KB, 1280x879)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
What's the best way to remove the remainder of the old handlebar tape?
>>
>>1309485
Goo gone or a rag and some alcohol, and a good deal of patience.
>>
File: 1474117905387.gif (980 KB, 245x259)
980 KB
980 KB GIF
how many times have you all fallen off your bikes?

I fell off my new bike twice last week when I slipped while riding next to a crack in the sidewalk

is this common? Will my bike break or something?

I scraped my knees a little but other than that I'm not hurt

but the plastic on the shifters is all scraped up
>>
>>1309514
Yes, it's common to fall if you're riding on the sidewalk since that's not what it's for
>>
>>1309517
but if I fall on the street then I might get hurt by a car
>>
>>1309520
Then please stop riding, we don't need insecure faggots fucking up the traffic
>>
>>1309514
Honestly, I mean really honestly, how long have you been riding? How many hours do you ride per week? How much of that riding is 'stressful' for lack of a better term? What I mean with that is how often do you need laser focus to stay upright be it bombing down singletrack on a mtb or pumping out huge watts out of a corner shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of other idiots out of a turn in a crit. I used to think I was a 'good' cyclist until I started racing, I learned right and quick how to hold a line and make deliberate movements with my bike. And a lot of that just comes with more time on the saddle.
>>
File: baseball.jpg (111 KB, 350x450)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>1309524
but I'm not f*cking up the traffic because I ride on the sidewalk?

can you please answer my question does falling off the bike break my bike or something do I need to get it checked out

also how did you know I was gay
>>
>>1309526
crashing might break your bike it might not. falling off on the sidewalk i would imagine things are totally fine.
>>
File: 1548141601233.jpg (24 KB, 554x338)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>1309525
I just got a bike a few weeks ago

It's a steel framed commuter bike but I'm just riding for fun at the moment

In the last few weeks I've ridden it like around 30 miles total maybe?
by hours... maybe like 15 hours.

so I am VERY new to cycling. (obviously I've ridden on BSO shit from Walmart when I was a kid)

not too much of that was stressful, just cruising around town (except when I fell over lol)
I definitely need to learn to have better control of my bike.

>>1309531
could I experience issues with alignment or whatever?

I started to hear a clicking sound from my drive train when I'm on certain gears, any clue what this might be?

I'm kinda sad about scraping up my handlebars and shifters but they still are functional and I guess... since its the first bike I've ever gotten it's a good time to learn
>>
>>1309538
Your handling skills are likely shit right now. You will get better the more you ride. There's no shortcuts, just ride more and you'll get better. If you're hearing clicking from your drivetrain that could be anything. New shift cables usually stretch within 500 miles or so and that requires some tightening of the barrel adjuster of the rear derailleur but that's no biggie. You could also be cross chaining bad and the chain is dragging across the front derailleur cage. Who knows.
>>
>>1309335
SunRace also makes some ye olde derailleurs still.

https://www.jbi.bike/site/product_details.php?part_number=26870
>>
Last year I bought a Diamondback Edgewood. What they say about those hybrid suspension forks is true though. It bounces like crazy and I mostly ride on pavement anyway so it's totally pointless.

So how hard would it be to stick a rigid fork on this thing? What am i looking at moneywise? How do go about getting the right size, angle, etc?

I know, I should just buy something better, but I only paid 200 bucks for this thing and aside from the bouncy fork, I love it. It's comfortable as can be and it's perfect for the kind of riding I do.
>>
>>1309514
>is this common?
no
>Will my bike break or something?
It might bend your derailleur hanger or rear derailleur. This would require having a shop straighten your hanger or buying a new hanger or derailleur.
It might knock your front derailleur out of position. This would require an adjustment, but probably not replacement.
It might knock your brake levers and shift levers out of position, which could easily be fixed by yourself with just an allen wrench.
It could possibly crack your brake levers and shift levers if they are cheap plastic, which could require replacing them, but this is not very likely.
Those are the only issues you are likely to have from low speed falls. The rear derailleur and derailleur hanger are the most likely to have problems after a low speed fall.
>>
Where can I find a nice cheap set of decent road brakes, preferably in silver? It seems like everything is either ebay crap or some road racing brake.
>>
>>1309634
https://www.wiggle.com/cycle/rim-brakes/?o=2
>>
>>1309601
You'd need to find a 60mm suspension corrected 29er fork, something that probably doesn't exist without going custom, which would cost like 10x what your bike is worth. If you don't get a corrected fork that's right for your bike, the geometry gets fucked up, and handling suffers. Just save up for a better bike.
>>
Hey guys, recently got rid of my car and want to get back into biking, I used to do it all the time but I haven't rode in a year or two. I have a Raleigh Capri from the 80s that I enjoy riding but the thing weighs so damn much. whats a good road bike to get back into biking. are there any brands to look into? is there a website anyone suggests I shop on? I love biking but have never really been into it huge and want to get into it. Preferably something under $1000.
>>
>>1309646
you want something to replace your car? or a road bike for fun/ exercise?

cos a car replacement, i'd be looking at something with 32mm+ tires, and racks and a basket. drops or flat bars is up to you, personally i'd still go drops.
there's lots of options like that.

if it's just a road bike you want, and you're happy not carrying much stuff, just a backpack if you need it or whatever, that's fine too, and if you only have one bike and like road riding, that does make sense, and lots of road bikes can still fit 28s or 32s which are a reasonable compomise, but won't handle heavily loaded racks well, well, most entry level road bikes with claris or sora, an allum frame & a carbon fork are much the same. I'd see what local shops have and buy based on what you like for arbitrary reasons. If you get some options and want opinions, ask.
>>
>>1309646
if you're prepared to buy used, that might be a good option too, if you want some recs post your craigslist and height

there might be a nice sport-touring bike there or just an old steel roadie or a higher spec rigid mtb all make good casual rides and maybe you have that + an entry level modern roadie, it is nice having something that lives with racks and flat pedals on it and only costs a few hundred clams for commuting and running errands and not worrying about
>>
Hey guys where can I buy one of this anime thingis at?
>>
>>1309646
also, have a look at what other anons have in
>>1305276
&
>>1307702

for some ideas about diff kind of bikes
I'm actually kinda surprised people come here for advice on buying a bike but never say they want a bike like one they see here
>>
>>1309653
you can buy a disc wheel cover on ebay
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DYMA-SL-Track-Time-Trial-Disc-Cover-Polo-Fixie-Fixed-Road-Bike-Wheel-Enclosed-TT/323545564163?hash=item4b54d18403:g:ZrAAAOxybqpRhHvS&frcectupt=true
others exist too
and there are several guides online to making your own

in terms of printing graphics to get your waifu on it, that's called itashari, you can find guides to that as well, and i imagine a signmaking shop would be able to make you a vinyl sticker to apply to a disc wheel cover if you took it into them

you can also buy legit disc wheels, but they're really expensive.

any ideas on what you want exactly on the wheel?
post more if you do this lol
>>
File: 1527315897322.jpg (65 KB, 563x429)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>1309646
Bianchi - Via Nirone Allroad or Volpe. The Volpe is a bit beyond your price but is a fucking ace bike.
Kona - Dew or Rove
Marin - Nicasio or maybe the Four Corners? I like what Marin does at their pricepoints.
Salsa - Journeyman
Surly - Cross Check. It's fawkin iconic m8
Specialized - Diverge E5. Overpriced compared to the Nicasio
>>
>>1309601
>So how hard would it be to stick a rigid fork on this thing? What am i looking at moneywise?

your cheapest new option that isn't aliexpress or something is the salsa cro-moto fork which is about 125.00.
>>
>>1309634
54 dollars on amazon for the set of newest Shimano Claris in silver.
>>
File: bpCjp.jpg (23 KB, 500x375)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>1309634
anon be aware, if it's pre-mid 90s frame, it likely doesn't have recessed mounting and you'll have to drill the fork to get modern brakes to fit.

that's easy though

the rear one is harder
>>
>>1309646
good road bike to get back into biking under 1000:

Cannondale CAAD Ultimo Claris $850 at any Cannondale dealer.

Every other major manufacturer makes a good alumimum framed, carbon fiber fork road bike with Shimano Claris or Sora for under 1000 new.

If you want something with a more relaxed geometry than the fast and flat bar CAAD (although you said you ride a flat top tube bike now) you can get something that is considered an "Endurance Road Bike".

That would be the Specialized Allez or Fuji Sportif or Giant Contend.

Bikes which aren't quite as fast and light as the CAAD but are more comfortable to ride 50 miles+ in.
>>
left crank is creaking when I apply force to it when riding, should I just take it apart, clean it, regrease it and hope for the best? it really bugs me
>>
>>1309724
Press fit bottom bracket? Good luck!
And yes, that is generally what you would do.
>>
Just installed 28mm tires and now they won't clear the brake pads with the QR open, not even close enough to force it through. Since I have to remove the front wheel to move the bike around, any ideas on how to deal with this without buying something? Right now I have to adjust the barrel adjuster 10 turns every time take out the wheel.
>>
>>1309750
> Right now I have to adjust the barrel adjuster 10 turns every time take out the wheel.
Are you a moron?
>>
>>1309751
Yes I am.
Try deflating them if you have a pump around.
>>
>>1309746
Sometimes it do be like that.
Having to deflate tires to remove the wheel used to be common with older brake designs.

Either buy narrower tires, or slimmer rims, or brakes that open wider when they're unhooked, or deal with it.
>>
File: Capture.png (90 KB, 148x254)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
>>1309757
My old brakes have this thing to open them so you can fit the wheel through. Don't know if that's what you meant by unhooked.
>>
>>1309762
Yes, most brake designs have something like that for this exact purpose. But some (on lower end old road bikes) don't.
>>
>>1309757
>unhooked
It's called a quick release, and it's either open or closed.

>buy slimmer rims
Slim rims are what cause the problem because the tire sticks out past the brake surface.

The quality of answers in BQG has really gone downhill the past few years.
>>
I've resumed cycling after not doing so for years. My butt hurts. Does it get better? Also how do I best ride against strong headwind? That's been bothering me for the last week.
>>
>>1309844
It does get better but it depends on the type of pain. Tenderness that makes it painful to sit and nerve pain/numbness/tingling are sure signs you should find a better saddle for you. Generally soreness shouldn't be unanticipated if you're new.

As far as headwinds, don't fight the wind, spin it out and if you have a road bike with drop bars, riding in the drops will help reduce your profile. Also this depends on where you live, but as you learn the terrain of your area you'll find some areas are much less windy than others, because of topography but also trees. On windy days here I avoid open farmland and suburbs and stick to the river roads because they're down low and well protected.
>>
>>1309844
sore ass? yeah thats totally fine you just gotta harden up and break your ass in

any numbness on your benis, and nerve pain, nah g, that's not ok, sort that shit out.
>>
Why can't I find this picture for sale anywhere?
>>
File: shimano-105.jpg (385 KB, 3280x2160)
385 KB
385 KB JPG
>>1309857
This one is similar. Just print it yourself.
>>
>>1309857
Do you want it framed? I know a guy who frames groupsets
>>
How to fix rusty chain?
I clean and dry lube it but it gets rusty less than a week later
If it gets wet the shitty brown gunk drips onto my chain stay
>>
>>1309866
>>1309860
No and after some research, I found my answer. UK faggots are getting some kind of subsidy on it then were selling groupsets to the states for less than distributor cost. All the shops and distributors started crying to Shimano about it and now there are no sales of shimano groups straight to the public.

It's bullshit, total bullshit, thanks England.
>>
File: 105.jpg (110 KB, 1129x536)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>1309937
>now there are no sales of shimano groups straight to the public.
lmao imagine living in Burgerland.
>>
>>1309938
Why the fuck is your government subsidizing groupsets?
>>
>>1309944
It's not my government that does it, it's the Brits.
Probably some sort of weird environmental scheme.
>>
>>1309938
Hello American here I can still buy Shimano groupsets for good prices
>>
>>1309963
Link?
I see them on ebay for dirt cheap but not from any online store.
>>
>>1309968
>he doesn’t buy from the wizard
>>
>>1309971
Merlin? Do they ship to the states? How long does it take?
>>
>>1309974
1-2 weeks
>>
I have a Specialized Sirrus 2015. Apart from a service I've done in the middle of 2017, I have never lubricated the chains.

I ride it like 3 km every day for commuting, it's feeling a bit rough.

Tomorrow I'm planning on doing some maintenance on the chain, what would be the damage? I assume that this much time without care would certainly cause permanent damage, is it worth it to try to clean or should I just try to sell it as is?

The bike runs well, but I feel it's not the same as it's used to be.
>>
>>1309937
>>1309968
I could have sworn PBK USA had complete Shimano groupsets, no idea what happened.
The only set there now is a whole fucking bike minus the frameset. Seems like a pretty gud price though
https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-tools-and-maintenance-nc/kinesis-racelight-build-kit-2015/10996961.html
>>
dear bqg

some asshole new guy on block gave me severe hearing damage. im homeless disabled etc now. i used to love riding bikes, but now i medically painfully cant stand road noise, cant listen to music, cant put earplugs cause that actually increases bass vibration noise through bone conducion...plus all id hear is several tinnituses.

i used to ride a fixed gear bike in completely flat country land because its ez and quiet and peaceful...now im in hilly terrain away from particular evil...any quiet bike or method to bike for me or is it all over?
>>
>>1309998
Ride a fixed gear with a shorter gear and git gud.
>>
>>1309514
>BMX & MTB
how many breads have you eaten in your life?
>road
Maybe a couple dozen times in 35 years of riding. Hit by cars a few times, fucked by railroad tracks a few times, got iced a few times, and went down in some group crashes back when I thought I could race. Most embarrassing one was a few years ago when I ate shit because of pedal strike. Worst was when I ate shit from a pothole and woke up 4 hours later in a MRI.
I didn't even crash when I learned to ride. I was so pissed off that my neighborhood rival could ride that as soon as I got a bike, anger kept me upright.
>>1309845
The best aero profile on a bike with drop or flat bars and no aerobars is to put your hands as close to the stem as possible, then get your head down. Problem with that is that you can't maneuver for shit, and you can't grab your brakes. With modern drop bar geometry, the best place is on the hoods. The drops are now mainly for getting your weight over your front wheel, for sprinting and technical downhill handling.
>>
>>1309310
personally I'd just dig thru the bin at my bike co-op but...
>>
>>1309335
custom paint?
>>
>>1309538
>I definitely need to learn to have better control of my bike.
steer by leaning your body. the wheel follows, which is attached to the bars so your hands follow that. use your hands to countersteer, to put yourself straight again.

also practice checking over your shoulder without changing your steering. you need to know this.
>>
>>1309971
The wizard is breddy gud
>>
>>1309998
Go consult a personal injury lawyer
>>
>>1309310
Sunrace RDM-10 in either hanger or direct mount. Costs less than $10 shipped and works about as well as you would expect a vintage derailer to shift.
>>
What's better, lighter weight from having no derailleurs and shifters or having more gears?
>>
>>1310102
you're going to have a bunch of weaklings who don't know how to ride say 'muh gears' but really fixie riders are the only riders who truly know how to ride a bike.
>>
>>1310102
The bike industry has always profited off of selling dentists the lightest stuff no one really asked for. Added gear range for a front derailleur and chain ring will be a greater benefit over the grams saved for nearly all riders.
>>
What's a good price range for a basic front derailleur?
>>
why do white people exist
>>
>>1310114
$10-15
>>
>>1310134
Someone has to take care of the brown people so they don't all kill each other and starve.
>>
File: alps.jpg (837 KB, 3238x1576)
837 KB
837 KB JPG
>>1309990
get a new chain man. Any KMC 8 speed. Those are easier to change than shimano ones. You need a chain tool as well, to shorten it and to break the old chain.

It's only going to be like $15 for the chain, and $15 for the tool if you buy them online.

While you do it, get some kerosene, and a tub of grease (any grease, wheel bearing is fine, from an autoparts store, or specific bike grease like park or phil if you want it). Once your chain is off, take the cage of your rear derailer off with an allen key. Keep a note of which jockey wheel went where (they aren't the same). Clean all the parts them in a little container with kerosene and a toothbrush. Then dry them with a rag and time, put a tiny dab of grease on the inside parts and re-assemble. It's really easy. You just take the cage bit apart, leave the body of the derailer.

Also clean your cassette the best you can. I doubt you have to replace it. If you want opinions on wear, post a photo of it. It's not expensive or hard to change that either if you just wanted to. 8 speed parts are cheap.

While your chain is off (or just lift it off the cog), spin your crank, and if that's rough, change your bottom bracket. That's not hard or expensive either.

And spin your wheel hubs. If they're rough, I'd get a shop to service those, the adjustment is a little tricky. But that won't cost much either, probably $20 a wheel or so.

DEFINATELY do these things, even if you intend to sell or upgrade. You'll learn valuable skills, you'll get your money back if you want to sell, and you're helping not contribute to our throwaway culture. And your bike will ride a lot better.
>>
>>1310181
Anon this was really inspiring I love you man.

I will take this to heart, I will go to a bike shop today to find a new chain, I will take a picture of the cassette later.
>>
>>1310242
no worries lol
i highly suggest you buy parts online, they are much cheaper
>>
>>1310243
So, I went to the local bike shop to find the tools and equipment, the KMC chain is 15 euro and the tool is 12 euro. The price is not bad and very similar with the online price.

But... The technician checked my chain with a tool and said I can clean and lubricate it and it should be enough to keep it going.

He also said that I would have to change the cassette if I change the chain because there is like 70% chance it will have issues.
>>
>>1310181
"KMC"? What is that some Ali Baba knockoff? I only buy genuine Shimano because I am not poor. Only a fool who has no concern for the safety of life and property would put a fake generic off-brand chain on his bike. It probably doesn't even shift properly because of the proprietary Shimano-shaped chain links that generic brands have a hard time copying due to rampant third-world cost cutting.
>>
>>1310286
It is literally the chain that came with the new bike, I don't see a problem, it's not a performance bike, it's the lowest end hybrid from specialized.
>>
>>1310286
cheap bait, but you still caught >>1310292
>>
>>1310285
>should be enough to keep it going.
well yes, obviously the bike is still rideable

and yes you can just lube it

but a new chain after a few years does make a big difference, and if the chain doesn't mesh with the old cassette, then the cassette is so worn that you should change it anyway.

The risk if you just ride them both into oblivion is they'll fuck your front chainrings too.
>>
>>1310102
having light weight is pointless if you don't have gears to go up hill in my horrible opinion
>>
>>1310285
>But... The technician checked my chain with a tool and said I can clean and lubricate it and it should be enough to keep it going.
>He also said that I would have to change the cassette if I change the chain because there is like 70% chance it will have issues.

That's just him trying to upsell the cassette change one too early.

If they measured the chain and found it OK (not stretched more than .75) then it will not harm the cassette, unless you were literally running a bone dry chain on the cassette that wore it down. (but if you did you better believe they would have told you).

Rule of thumb is that if you ride a reasonable amount and don't do anything stupid it's 3 chains per cassette. Generally 2-3k miles per chain, 6-9k per cassette.

Of course we are talking minimal money here your cassette would be like 40 and a new chain 15 dollars. There is a minimal amount of labor involved that require specialized tools.

and for god's sake man lube your chain here's the non 90 minute way.

-buy white lightning epic ride Semi-Dry lube
-take towel and run the chain a few times through the towel while you turn the crank backwards
-Now take the lube and put one drop in each chain link
-Now take that towel and gently wipe the chain as you did at the beginning by holding it and turning the crank backwards.
>>
>>1310333
>having light weight is pointless if you don't have gears to go up hill in my horrible opinion

Example: My mom who is in her 60s but rides Up Grades because she rides a step thru with a 3x7 setup and a megarange cassette in the back. That means she can have a gear less than 1:1 to go up any hill she wants. Slow as fuck but she gets up any hill. Now her bike is 10 lbs lighter than most step thrus at 29 lbs (aluminum) but that should be an indication that while more gears doesn't mean better a wide range of gears is great for weaker riders.
>>
is this a meme ?, i can't find a proper stem quill for my commuter, the one i have is too short and i dont want to fuck my shoulders slamming the handlebar
>>
>>1310406
yes, you're just adding another point for creaking

what size do you need?
>>
>>1310406
That would probably be a good way to figure out what kind of solid stem you should get
>>
>>1308928
Fuji is a junk brand. Definitely pass on those.

I don't love the giant atx either. The level of drivetrain you get at the price point isn't very competitive. And they come with freewheels on the rear wheel which is not up to industry standards for mountain bikes. If you can get an ATX 1 in your country, those are a bit better than the 2 and 3 model.

The giant talon 3 is a great deal though, and I can recommend them without reservation.
If you can spend a little more, kona fire mountains are also really good value for money.
>>
>>1309392
This is a short wheel base recumbent as described by Brown. They are not any harder to balance than an upright bicycle and you can easily put a foot down when stopping. As with any recumbent you should use a mirror since it is difficult to look over your shoulder.
>>
>>1309448
take it to a bike shop that has compressed air and blast it out with air
>>
>>1309485
Use a solvent such as white gas, mineral spirits, goo gone, or acetone. Then scrape with a plastic card scraper, or an old gift card. Wear rubber or latex gloves. Don't use brake cleaner, and don't get any solvent on your bike.
>>
File: 1554320877652.jpg (72 KB, 392x645)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>1309524
the whole point of /n/ is to get people out of cars and onto alternative modes of transportation. discouraging people from riding bikes is some cager bullshit, and you're an asshole.

>>1309514
Don't give up, friend. I fell over a fuck ton of times before I got good at riding a bike. If sidewalks are where you feel safe, start there and build up your confidence. Not all cities have good streets for biking. But you can do it!!!
>>
>>1309601
There's not much out there in the way of 1 1/8" threaded suspension corrected forks.
If you could get a fork off of a giant cypress, that will work. They are suspension corrected. I just checked with giant though and they aren't readily available to order.
Another possibility if your fork has a lockout is to gut the suspension components and use the lockout permanently. This will effectively convert your fork into a rigid one.
Your last option is to put a surly 29er fork on your bike, but this is not cost effective since you would need a new stem and headset.
>>
>>1309634
any tektro model R5xx or R3xx will be good quality. just pick the cheapest ones that have the correct reach and mounting style for your bike.
>>
>>1309646
hell yeah borther. check out the salsa journeyman, kona rove, and giant escape 2.
>>
>>1309857
5800 groupsets are not made anymore and they are almost all sold out. starbike.com still claims to have some but you should email to check if they really do.
you can also get a 7000 groupset at a good price from the usual euro shops like merlin and bike24.
>>
>>1309932
you should replace rusty chains. rust particles are abrasive and will quickly wear your drivetrain. and use a good chain oil like tri flow. if you live in a very corrosive environment, you could try spraying your chain with crc marine grade rust preventer. But this stuff is gummy and will fuck up your shifting so you should only do that on a single speed.
>>
>>1309998
can you ride on a track? or wear earmuffs instead of earplugs?
>>
>>1310406
"kalloy riser quill stem" is what you want
>>
>>1310285
You can measure chain wear yourself. Brown describes the correct method on his website. If your chain is within spec, you should keep riding it. If you replace chains at .75% wear, you should be able to go through 3 chains before you replace your cassette.
>>
File: SLMAMMM.jpg (28 KB, 500x375)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>1310406
SLAM
>>
Okay so is it a good idea to buy an Enduro bike as a first mountain bike. There's a sweet looking Banshee Rune on my local Craigslist and it's a great deal components-wise. But I've never owned a mountain bike before and I'm not sure an Enduro bike is necessarily a good fit for my current skill level.
>>
>>1310648
what are the trails like where you live and what kind of riding do you envisage yourself doing?
>>
There's one area with a lot of trails that this bike would excel in and some others nearby where it might too much bike for the trail it's on. As for what riding I'm doing I'm still undecided, though I do enjoy going down fast trails on my gravel bike occasionally.
>>
>>1310660
If it's a 2017 or 2018 model year with the dropper and 1x gearing, I would go for it. The only downsides to "too much bike" are uphill pedaling efficiency (this is what lockouts are for) and a possibly "planted" or slow steering feel. But if you have big trails in your area with double jumps, you will eventually want this kind of bike.
>>
>>1310669
For any used mountain bike, you should have a knowledgeable bike person look it over (a real modern mtb mechanic, not some retrogrouch retard) and tell you if it's up to spec. It may be outdated or damaged, or the suspension could be fucked up. Rebuilding a bad suspension fork can cost hundreds of dollars. If there are deep scratches or any kind of dents in the stanchions, the fork is trash.
>>
>>1310669
>The only downsides to "too much bike" are uphill pedaling efficiency (this is what lockouts are for)
lockouts won't fix the extra couple of kg a long travel bike adds and the geo being unsuited for climbing but otherwise, continue
>>
FOLDING TIRES

So, aren't folding tires lighter? Is there any reason to get steel rather than a folding bead?
I was going to get folding bead but this website says they're having as a spare?
>>
>>1310728
honestly I never read into why I shouldnt use folding tires but they're the only bead type I buy and I'm not sure if there's any real downside for most riding desu
>>
>>1310728
>this website says they're having as a spare?
does it lol
>>
I have a U-lock. How do I store this on the bike without hanging it somewhere that's clumsy and awkward (on the handlebars; on the saddle-post, etc).
>>
>>1310748
get some of these from a pc shop
wrap a few layers electrical tape around the contact points
strap it to the top tube and the seat tube of your frame
>>
>>1310734
I think they are harder to set if you are changing a flat? standard tires kinda drop in unless you have a couple notorious brands.
>>
>>1310752
folding tyres are standard though
only literal destitute poorfag tyres have a wire bead
>>
File: Untitled.png (322 KB, 1615x648)
322 KB
322 KB PNG
>>1310734
>>1310736
>>1310752
Picture related. I want to order these for the gravel bike I bought yesterday. Why does it say they're for having as a spare? The seller just some old fudd doesn't know what he's talking about?
>>
>>1310756
wow you sound super rich lol
>>
>>1310758
He's just trying to add another selling point for Newbies who don't realize that you can pack a folding tire along for a long bike trip.
>>
>>1310760
Okay, that makes more sense. Thank you anon.
>>
>>1310759
i am and i have a very large penis
>>
>>1310728
Wire bead are usually slightly cheaper.
>>
>>1310767
post pics no homo
>>
File: ClubFuji.jpg (657 KB, 2016x1134)
657 KB
657 KB JPG
I picked up the fuji that got recommended in the last /bqg/ >>1307768
Rode it around the block there and thought it felt alright. Didn't shift into the highest gear with ease the first time, but shifted well everywhere else. Took it for a 12 mile ride and found out it likes to try and skip out of the highest gear a lot when up to speed, so just spent some time adjusting it. Working much better now, but I still get occasional noise and jolts. Other than the high/low on the derailleur, is there anything else to try and adjust?
>>
>>1310820
yoooo that's sick
>>
>>1310820
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

this is a pretty good rundown. it really helps to have a stand (you can ghetto one) or some ropes to hang the bike from something, so you can pedal and shift and turn adjusters at the same time. Upside down changes stuff.

I'm a bit surpirsed it isn't tuned already seeing as how damn clean it is.
>>
>>1310728
Kevlar beads don't work well on hookless rims. Hookless rims either are ancient and designed for wire beads, or modern and require tubeless tires with reinforced folding beads.

That's the only disadvantage. All high end tires are made in folding only.
>>
>>1310820
That thing is sweet man.
>>
File: SuntourOlé.jpg (1.37 MB, 2268x3112)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
>>1310824
I had watched the front and read adjustment videos by sweetsbench on YT prior to doing anything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_bGcuezsIo
I hung it off an ironing board stand so I could freewheel and shift, but it wasn't ideal ha. Seeing that article, I'll have to look at the angle and indexing adjustment when I can get something better rigged up.

Any clue what the threads for the high/low adjustment screws would be? Stripped the phillips head trying to adjust it and it must be M3 cause I doubt it being a #5. Hardware store didn't have anything to match it.
>>
Customer kept getting flats. Replaced rim tape. Replaced tyres with gatorskins. Fresh tubes. Definitely pinched one tube the first time trying to get them in. Injected tubeless sealant into tubes just to be extra sure. Customer calls me and says tube went flat again without even putting the wheel on the bike. What's happening here?
>>
>>1310854
customer manhandled valve stem while pumping
>>
File: IMG_20190407_150628.jpg (3.5 MB, 4000x3000)
3.5 MB
3.5 MB JPG
>>1310854
Turns out the original problem was the rim tape. My problem was that the bead came off the sidewall on a new tyre!
>>
>>1310854
you work at a bike shop and came to 4chan for service advice?
>>
>>1310924
fits my experience with LBS as a customer, really.
>>
>>1309653
lol those ENVE decals. why?
>>
>>1308610
Whom makes good cycling caps?
>>
>>1310930
you looking for more traditional, like cotton with logos and stuff in your pic, or like handmade, plain, other materials?
>>
>>1310933
Something that isn't meme tier like in that photo, probably synthetic. Nothing flashy. I just want something for moisture wicking, and a bill instead of a helmet visor.
>>
>>1310934
A lot of the bigger brands like Pearl Izumi and Specialized make synthetic ones. They're really thin so they're pretty comfy under a helmet.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/deflect-uv-cycling-cap/p/157177?color=231476-157177
https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Shop/Ride/Road/Unisex/Essentials/Headwear/Transfer_Lite_Cycling_Cap/p/14361805021
>>
>>1310935
Yes. Stay visible and stay alive/intact. Helmets don't make you impervious, but concussions suck.

t. concussed
>>
>>1310936
I have a hard on for Pearl Izumi already; so, neat, thanks.
>>
File: helmets7.jpg (246 KB, 680x680)
246 KB
246 KB JPG
>>1310935
Obviously you should always wear a helmet unless you're a dumbfuck.
Reflective clothing is a good idea, but in my opinion lights are even more important. Ideally use both.
>>
>>1310854
>memeskins
anon pls
>>1310924
Honestly not surprising. I have worked as a mechanic at two LBSs and /n/iggers in /bqg/ tend to be more knowledgable than the people I've worked with. I would rather ask /bqg/ for advice than an average shop mechanic. That said, I have worked with some good mechanics, one especially who has to be one of the best mechanics in the state.
>>
File: ATD-1-2_001.jpg (249 KB, 900x780)
249 KB
249 KB JPG
Are little torque drivers like those from Park and Pedros good?
>>
>Mad at Gatorskins?
>>
>>1310820
That's a nice bike and Minneapolis is a based city for cycling. Ride the trails along the Mississippi, especially through Lilydale and Fort Snelling.
The skipping may be due to rear derailleur needing adjustment, or due to the rear derailleur or derailleur hanger being bent, or due to your chain or cassette/freewheel being worn. Stop by a bike shop and ask them to measure your chain for stretch. If it's past 0.75% stretch, replace it. If it's less than 0.75%, don't let them sell you a new chain cause you don't need it yet. A stretched chain can cause your drive train to skip and will also wear out your cogs and chainrings faster.
>>1310846
Check Ace, they tend to have good selections of bolts. Otherwise go to One On One bike shop in Minneapolis and go to their bone yard, they'll have old used derailleurs for a few dollars that you could get for parts and take the limit screw off it.
>>
File: derailleur hanger.png (12 KB, 640x400)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>1310820
To determine if your derailleur or hanger is bent, see pic related
>>
>>1310949
Actually went to an Ace and a bike shop today. I got a valve adapter for Presta to Schrader at Ace and I asked a guy at Valley Bike&Ski about the screw. He went into the back and just gave me two he had in a parts bin. They are the right screw, but the original has a keyway filled with a threadlocker. I'll be heading back there when their sale starts later this week to get a bag of some sort.
>>1310950
Hanger looks good. I'm thinking the indexing needs tweaking.
>>
>>1310944
>one especially who has to be one of the best mechanics in the state.
what state?
>>
>>1310930
Just get them off Aliexpress if you can stand the wait e.g. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Classical-Retro-Multi-Styles-New-Team-Pro-Cycling-Caps-Headwear-Road-Mountain-Bike-Race-OROLLING/32887575903.html?spm=2114.search0103.3.319.a5be78bfvdB0Px&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_8_10065_10130_10068_10890_10547_319_10546_317_10548_10696_10190_453_10084_454_10083_10618_10307_10820_10303_537_536_10059_10884_10887_321_322_10103,searchweb201603_61,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=1ec95e7f-eac0-4f90-96d0-c10eda7c6ba9-41&algo_pvid=1ec95e7f-eac0-4f90-96d0-c10eda7c6ba9&transAbTest=ae803_4
>>
>>1310979
I don't buy things of Aliexpress, nor Amazon, out of principle.
>>
>>1310985
no one gives a shit anon.
>>
>>1310930
Pace. The mystery 3 pack is a good deal.
>>
>>1310987
Sorry I'm not supporting your shitty store, Chang.
>>
>>1310990
>actually paying some burger middleman for a chinese product in branded packaging because you're swallowed the marketing

lel
>>
>>1310992
>Implying I don't only buy products made by hipsters in the USA

Sorry, Xiao Xiang.
>>
>>1310985
I boycott amazon but that doesn’t make me a racist fuck. Sort yourself out m8
>>
>>1310930
walz. also I noticed Oakley made a cool cycling cap

(those are the 40 dollar tier)

Pearl Izumi and Cinelli for the 25 dollar tier

This Cycle Torch hat is kinda cool too

https://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Torch-Cycling-Polyester-Breathable/dp/B07D6XWCFF/ref=cts_ap_1_vtp
>>
I'm 5'6, will a 17" frame be okay for me
the bike is a used cypress dx, 150 cad
>>
>>1311057
I'm the same height as you, that'd be about as large a frame as I'd ride but your proportions/inseam will differ. Test ride it of course and don't be afraid to say walk away if the reach is too far. You might be able to do better for $150 but ifs that's the bike you want or prices in your area might differ from mine
>>
>>1311034
If you pay more than 15 bucks for a hat you are a mug. My milltag one in custom club colours was £12.
>>
>>1310947
Yeah but if you need more than a couple, splash for a good adjustable model.
>>
>>1310973
>Hanger looks good. I'm thinking the indexing needs tweaking.
Check the indexing, limit screws, and B screw
>>
>>1310626
The fork has no lockout. That is something I had considered, trying to find a suspension fork with a lockout and just leaving it locked out all the time. Would that be more doable?
>>
File: yeeee.jpg (99 KB, 720x1280)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>1309514
One time when I first got the straps for my pedals.
My friend who's been riding bikes for ages went to a nearby bank on my bike and crashed after some 300m. Ripped off the bar, bent front brake and scuffed everything. Still haven't wiped his blood off the bar.
>>
File: 45st.jpg (211 KB, 720x1280)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
Guys, actually i use maxxis detonator 700x23 for road cycling but i'm switching soon to 28c due to shitty asphalt conditions.

Some "quality" options are:

-continental ultra sport 2 (14 usd)
-kenda kwick trax (16 usd)
-Vittoria Zaffiro Rigid Tyre ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vittoria-Zaffiro-Rigid-Tyre-400-x/dp/B001IOUAQG , i guess this is the model) (21 usd)

Some "lower quality" 700x28 options are:

-hutchinson nitro 2 (*) (20 usd)
-Duro (the shitters https://www.plentyofbikes.com/products/duro-road-tires-700x28c-asst-colors ) (12 usd)
-another kenda with (*) quality (9 usd)
-chaoyang speed shark (700x25) (8 usd)

My max invest is 23 usd/tyre.

I'm aware that 28c are heavier than 23c tyre with same compounds. In this case, which option will be the best and with less noticeable feel compared to maxxis detonator? help me to spend money wisely. maxxis detonator 28c is out of stock now in my local market. all options are wired. is there some way to predict how hard to fit/unfit these tyre would be compared to the actual ones?

pic related: 23c at 70 psi to deal with shitty quality asphalt.
>>
Can you guys recomend me a strong front light with different power settings, good battery life and the ability to recharge it?
>>
>>1311476
Get the GP4000SII, they are on clearance pretty much everywhere and more than worth the extra money.
>>
File: 8km.jpg (1.69 MB, 2096x1928)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB JPG
>>1311481
sorry but 135 usd/tyre is out of my reach right now.
>>
>>1311487
bruh they're $33 per on Wiggle
>>
File: perritos1.jpg (152 KB, 540x960)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>1311489
send link of that, let me see...
maybe i mistyped it at google.
>>
>>1311493
https://www.wiggle.com/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-folding-road-tyre/
>>
>>1311494
they are not delivering to my country. i researched a little and i found pic related options to import them...

thanks for your idea, i will consider it in future, but stay focus on the main question now, chossing between the actual options in >>1311476 .

which could be an smart choice?
>>
>>1311504
Are you from Chile? How do taxes work in Chile? I've ordered many things above US$30 and never payed taxes. But I'm not Chilean, obv, so I know shit about it.
>>
>>1311504
That sucks man. I'd go with the Zaffiro. It's a decent all-rounder. The Ultra Sport 2 is faster, but has poor puncture resistance.
>>1311478
My current front take-off light is a Light and Motion Urban 500. Battery life is decent, and has a good beam pattern, tho I rarely use it for that because I have good enough night vision to get by unless it's pitch black. I like that instead of a flashing mode, it has a pulsing mode, which is kinder on others' eyes. It also has orange lights on the sides, but those seem kinda worthless given that they're mostly blocked by arms...maybe it works for people with swept-back handlebars.
>>
Bought a bike from Goodwill for $25. The gears change very roughly, and they slip in and out sometimes while riding. Is there any way to fix it? inb4 lol stop bein poor amirite - not an option rt now.
>>
>>1311515
You probably just need to adjust the derailleur.
There should be a barrel adjuster right where the cable enters the derailleur to adjust it.
After adjusting it to shift properly, you might want to adjust the upper and lower limiting screw, they prevent you from shifting the chain beyond the smallest/largest cog.
>>
>>1311515
Go to a bike shop and buy a derailleur cable. Then go to Park Tool's website and watch/read about how to do rear derailleur adjustment.
>>
File: ayylmao.jpg (31 KB, 440x440)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Where should I place the cleat on my shoe? I've been riding super medial and anterior so it's under the ball of my foot. Is that wrong or just a do as you feel kinda thing?
>>
File: laureles-wilson.jpg (3.51 MB, 4320x2432)
3.51 MB
3.51 MB JPG
>>1311506
as filename says, in Chile to avoid paying tax at Custom house, there is a simple trick: ask aliexpress to send your products as gifts, simply not register the value of the product as is, just saying it's something cheap. if box/bag is small, is more probably to avoid random inspection due less suspicious. inspection is hard to avoid for big boxes or really expensive ones, as forks, frames or rims. brakes, watches, cellphones and small things are easy to hide their true value. but even in that case your well-hidden product sent-as-gift could be blessed with random inspection. in that situation you must send the bill and wait for the custom control plp to calculate and charge the correct tax to you, in order to free your product. tax is about 20% for things over 30 usd. if you never payed taxes, you are a lucky one, just like lots of plp.

>>1311510
Yeah, sucks a lot.
I use puncture zefal band for the tyre's insides. could that be enough to consider the ultra? Zafiro is a good option, but the provider could be slow to bring it. i will balance between those 2 options. Thanks.

>>1311478
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/BaseCamp-Zoomable-de-seguridad-de-ciclo-de-la-bicicleta-MTB-bicicleta-Led-luz-de-la-bicicleta/32865499001.html
>>
>>1311515
Could be that your rear derailleur needs adjustment. Could be that your chain and/or cassette/freewheel are worn and need replacing.
>>
>>1311525
yeah under the ball of your foot is the default position
bike fit is a really complicated subject though, there's no simple answer for anything
do you have any pain?

bottom line is that if it works, it works, and if you want a really good fit, it's going to cost you hundreds of dollars and they'll shine lazers and smokemachines at your knees and build a 3d model of your asshole
>>
Is it possible for a hydraulic brake system to so difficult to bleed that it requires replacement of the whole system. Guy I'm buying a bike from on Craigslist claims that a bike shop told him he needed new brakes front and rear for that reason. Do you think I need new brakes or is he (or the bike shop) just full of shit.
>>
>>1311525
>under the ball
>straight
>in the middle
>ride
>see if you got any issues
>adjust if necessary
>>
>>1311526
>declared as gift
>sender:
>100% NUMBAH ONE CHING CHONG QALITY BICYCLE PARTS INC. SHENZHEN CHINA
Are Chilean customs officers retarded or something?
>>
Is a narrower, 120mm dropout more power-efficient than a 130mm? Track dropouts are narrower- is this just for aerodynamics?
>>
>>1308846

Is this a vintage road bike? Those have terrible handlebar padding and positioning for stopping from the hoods.
>>
>>1309310

Do you wanna keep it retro or are you looking to upgrade? SRAM makes good derailleurs, their x-4 being a nice compromise on price and good shifting without looking like a plastic hunk of shit.

But if you’re going for retro, a local co-op will have a part for you.
>>
>>1309323
Oh I know what you’re bumping into! You have an issue I’m shocked more mechanics don’t talk about.

That thicker chain will fuck you sideways.

You can change out jockey wheels on a vintage derailleur and mount on to a more modern one. They’re pretty cheap too.

I personally ran an ‘80s cyclone derailleur and used huret allvit jockey wheels (which use ball bearings- I shit you not! Re-packed and had to cut down the bolt off the derailleur hanger but it all came together eventually.) After that, it worked fine. But honestly if you’re gonna change the chain you WILL need to change the freewheel too, as Torot and even old Raleigh Sprites of ‘70s and earlier didn’t use ramping cigs and the spacing between gears is so thick that even a 5-7 speed chain will slide between the gears and stick you in a ‘false neutral’ not at all unlike a sturmey archer gear between gear 2-3. That’s where I fucked up my bike and had to resort to using a modern, ugly looking 14-24 freewheel. Doesn’t sound right, either. Just a tragedy I tossed my old chain.
>>
>>1311603
Narrower is more aero, yes. It's also more stable. And it simply makes no sense to make the dropouts wider than required to fit the rear wheel in. Track bikes have no gears so the rear wheel hubs are shorter.
>>
Why were downtube shifters ever a thing? I mean I get that brifters weren't invented yet, but why not just put the same downtube shifters on the handlebars or the inside of the brake hoods?
>>
Got a 26er bike with 100mm fork, but the frame is made for 120mm travel. I'd like to correct its geometry by putting a 29er front wheel, fork will handle it of course. (btw 69ers seem fun to ride and I'd like to try, have you /n/ ?)
>>
>>1311613
Do you like using your spokes as braking surface?
>>
I'll be cleaning my bike tomorrow. I'm new to the bike riding scene so is there anything I should be careful of? I've watched a couple youtube videos and bought some lube, grease and degreaser.
>>
>>1311624
If you're hosing it off, don't use high pressure water (like out of a hose spray nozzle) near the bearings (hubs, bottom bracket, headset).
Grease is only for the bearings, seatpost, etc, you won't need it if you're not taking anything apart.
When lubing the chain, lube the chain then let it sit 10 minutes to sink in and evaporate, then wipe it off with a rag. Keep wiping til no more is coming off. The point of lube is to sink into the internals of the chain. You don't want any lube left on the outside of the chain or cogs, that just attracts dirt and doesn't accomplish anything.
>>1311611
Easier cause then the cables just go straight along the downtube (and for rd, chainstay). No need for cable housing. Shifters were sometimes mounted by the stem though
>>
>>1311575
Um.. it shouldn't be that it's "difficult to bleed". But if bleeding it didn't make the brakes work well it could be one of a few things:
>the mechanic didn't know what he was doing and either got air bubbles in the line or used the wrong type of oil or whatever
>the pistons need to be overhauled (you can buy piston overhaul kits)
>the brakes are just shot and need to be replaced
Things wear out so eventually yeah parts need to be replaced, so maybe the brakes need to be replaced. It's really impossible for us to know.
>>
>>1311630
I'm going to use old fashion soapy water in a bucket with a sponge technique. I think I'll be regreasing the seat post and the headset assembly.

Thank you for your tips anon, I saved them in my notes. I bought ceramic lube, is it a meme? my country is pretty rainy.
>>
>>1311614
Do brake rotors change that much between wheel sizes?
>>
Asking here in case any of you faggots happen to know this.

I've got a TT bike with SRAM eTap and I've been thinking about getting new levers and switching it over to my road bike. SRAM has at least made hydraulic rim brakes, though they seem to be really low on stock right now. If I were to somehow find hydraulic eTap levers and a set of the hydraulic rim brakes I could use the same groupset and levers if I decide to get a disc brake frame and only get new calipers?
>>
File: IMG_20190403_130319648.jpg (2.79 MB, 2340x4160)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB JPG
>>1311593
no. they just are few plp to the job, and random inspection is a way to deal with it. Not all packages are inspected, only some of them.
>>
>>1311631
Or the brakes are Avids, which are best chucked and replaced with Shimano, Hope, or TRP Quadiems.
>>
File: MERCKXXX.jpg (604 KB, 1369x1460)
604 KB
604 KB JPG
>>1311611
It's very natural to arc your arm down from the drops to dt shifters
it does not upset your balance from a road position
they also shifted better, with a shorter cable run and no resistance
no outer cable at all for the front derailer, and only a little piece at the end for the rear one.
You can also shift both front and rear with one hand.

Bar end shifters have been around for a long time though. Pic related is a young Eddy Merckx racing with bar end shifters.
>>
>>1311685
Comparito comprese unos Schwalbe Durano en ChainReactionCycles, unos cuantos pares pa asegurarse altoke, vendis un par y recuperai la plata del envio. Yo lo he hecho varias veces, nunca me han cobrado impuesto. Las opciones locales valen callampa.
>>
>>1311712
You have to go back.
>>
>>1311713
tell that to the shitheads in the /pol/ plane crash thread you chucklefuck
>>
>>1311526
I had received many parcels where chinks declared $100 price, but I never paid. How is it supposed to works? Do you get mail of sort, out what?
>>
>>1311717
If you receive your package, all is fine.
If you instead receive a letter from Customs where to pick up your package and how much money it'll cost you, you know they checked.
>>
>>1308610
Hi /n/, This is my first time posting here. I just bought myself a mamachari, Japanese mama bike. It is on 27" x 1-3/8 tires. Unfortunately, the inner tubes are blown out. Would it be possible to use 27" x 1-1/4 tubes in them or would I need the 1-3/8? Thanks
>>
>>1311811
The packaging of the inner tube should give a range of tire sizes they are good for.
Generally nothing bad will happen if you go a little above or below that range, but try to stay within it.
>>
>>1311713
But I am back, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.
>>
Anyone got fender suggestions for a 90s rigid frame mtb (specialized hard rock) and where to cop? I had some saved on an amazon list (SKS B60 26” mud guards) but they’re almost $40, seems a little higher than I remember. Bike is set up with slicks made for city riding.
>>
File: 1529747712242.jpg (220 KB, 800x1142)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
>>1311717
>getting mail
some times, with cellphones randomly. getting mail = aduanazo , --> >>1311731

>>1311713
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (-ლ)

>>1311712
Interesante estrategia. ¿Cómo es el cobro por el envio? estuve cachando que hasta 4 neumaticos te da la opción de traer por el monto mínimo de envio (15 usd), pero luego de los 5 hacia arriba sólo da la opción de envio express que sale el doble. ¿Llegan a la casa o alguna especie de casilla en alguna parte? ¿Dónde los recibes tú? Onda pa cachar qué weá. Luce una atractiva opción de corto plazo lo que propones. Justo ocurre que tengo tarjeta internacional y me es posible traerlos si quisiera.

Switching to engrish, i saw this interesting thing:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cl/es/cubierta-de-carretera-schwalbe-one-v-guard-/rp-prod155049 (28c)

i was thinking about buy a pair of them for me, and a pair of this:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cl/es/cubierta-de-carretera-schwalbe-durano-plus-smartguard-/rp-prod154344 (25c)

The second ones just to sell them to recovery some money. do you think bring a 25c to recover money is a good move? are the 25c more salable than the 28c? Bringing more than 4 tyres makes the delivery more expensive.
>>
>>1311824
$40 is a good price for full fenders. I'd recommend SKS Bluemels, but they're very similar (if not the same) and not cheaper if I remember right.
>>
File: 20190409_135702.jpg (1.36 MB, 3264x1836)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
Can i still use this tire? Perhaps if i put some piece of old bar tape inside to act as a wall where it's torn maybe?
>>
>>1311835
It looks like the sidewall is damaged, I wouldn`t continue to ride this tire
>>
>>1311835
You wouldn't ask this question if you ever heard the racket an inner tube makes when it blows up cause the tire couldn't hold the pressure.
Just get a new tire for a couple bucks for fucks sake.
>>
>>1311835
>There's a huge fucking hole in my tire
>Is this fine?
What the fuck..
>>
>>1311831
What about width? I have read that they should be about 7mm wider than the tire. I am unable to see the size of the tire right now, but I know I replaced the inner tubes a few months ago with tubes that fit 1 3/8”. I believe the tire is 26x1 3/8. I was looking at 60mm for whatever reason for fenders. Wondering if I should go smaller. I’ll check back and post actual tire size when I get the chance to look at it at home. The fenders I mentioned before are SKS commuter II I think. Thanks.
>>
>>1311852
Get the widest fenders that'll fit your frame but don't go too wide or it won't clear.

>they should be about 7mm wider than the tire
they don't have to be that much wider. I run 28s with a 32 wide fender. 1-3/8 is 51mm, so 60mm would be more than dandy. Just measure the clearance to make sure they'll clear
>>
>>1311852
The width measurement on SKS fenders gives you the width of the tire they're good for, not the width of the fender.

>>1311856
>1-3/8 is 51mm
No, 1-3/8 inch is 35mm. 2 inches would be 51mm.
>>
>>1311852
You should look for 40mm fenders if that's your tire measurement.
>>
Best bang for your buck brake pads to put on a beater in a rainy place (EU)? The cheapest my LBS stocks are Dura Ace pads, which are absolute garbage and suicidal in the rain after a couple of months.
>>
>>1311731
>>1311830
Ok. Gracias.
>>
>>1311614
Not really!
Overall I'd like to keep my fork (and can't spend much money for my bike right now) Also, this is a full rigid mtb. I was just wondering if someone here already done this as that's not common.
>>1311648
I guess it was meaning that my feet could be too close to the bigger front wheel...!
>>
>>1311872
Kool stop salmon
>>
File: 527878062_d3c189879d.jpg (137 KB, 500x375)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
What is a good solution for an out-of-true wheel on a cheap bike? Paying to have it trued at my LBS will be like $40, but I ain't paying that much for this PoS. I just want it rideable. Is it possible for a noobie to re-true wheels? I read that it is easy to make a wheel much worse than it was.
As it is now, it rides "fine" but it starts to vibrate like a sextoy when I pick up speed, and braking is really scarey.
>>
>>1311912
>Is it possible for a noobie to re-true wheels? I read that it is easy to make a wheel much worse than it was.
It's possible for a noob to true wheels properly but it's also possible for a noob to fudge it up completely. It depends on how mechanically inclined you are and how well you follow instructions. It's not that difficult but keep in mind truing a wheel isn't just about lateral true (side to side). There's also radial (circleness), hub centering (dishing), and spoke tensioning. There are some expensive truing tools out there but not required. You can actually perfectly true a wheel in all parameters with just a zip tie for lateral and radial, a coke can plus coins for hub centering, and plucking the spokes for tensioning. Anyways I'm going on a tangent now, just follow the instructions or spend the $40
>>
>>1311912
It's possible for a newb, especially with Youtube instructions. But for your first time, you better have a couple hours with nothing planned and are in a quiet mood, cause you'll need patience, you can't rush it, and you need to do tiny adjustments, testing after each time if it improved it.
>>
My cheapo road tubes seem to be leaking air slowly. It’s doesnt seem like a puncture because it’s happening evenly front and back. What are some higher quality tubes for road bikes and are they worth it?
>>
>>1311983
Decathlon tubes are cheap as fuck and work just fine, I`m running them for two years now and had zero issues with them.
>>
>>1311983
Do they have removable valves? Sometimes those get unscrewed.
>>
>>1311983
Tubes lose air over time, if it's sitting for a few days it's normal to have lost some air, you should be checking tire pressure before every ride
And like other anon said it could be that the valve cores are loose, if it's presta you can tighten them by hand (or with pliers gently), if it's schrader you need a valve core tool
or if it's really old tubes it might just be that the rubber is starting to break down
>>
>>1311835
>Perhaps if i put some piece of old bar tape inside to act as a wall where it's torn maybe?
This can work for certain types of tire damage like if it's a hole from a glass shard.
But in your case no, that's not a good idea. That tire is old and degrading. It's going to give you blowouts if you try to ride it.
>>
>>1311830
Te llegan a la casa, yo la ultima vez compre 4 pares, unas luces, otras weas chicas que no me acuerdo y un bombin de piso asi que la caja era grande y pague el envio caro nomas, si comprai varias weas al final igual sale mas barato que comprar aca.
>>
>>1311699
>i hope it brakes
>>
Are disc brakes a meme on road bikes?
>>
File: secrets.jpg (8 KB, 252x188)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1312053
[spoiler]I love them. You should try them: maximum braking every time under every circumstance. Rear rim brake front disc would be optimal though imho[/spoiler]
>>
>>1311912
pay the $40. It's not worth your time and you are more likely to fuck it up. This anon >>1311932
nailed the process and all the complexities.
>>
>>1311912
that's not a pos, it's definately worth paying to get the wheels trued
i'd also check your headset
hold the stem with one hand, and the fork blades with the other, and shake em. Is there any play? Does it rotate smoothly?

If it doesn't, get a headset spanner, and a big adjustable, some grease and some solvent, and clean and regrease the bearings

that will make it a lot more stable if it's not good
>>
>>1311983
>What are some higher quality tubes for road bikes and are they worth it?

cheaper tubes are still fine, I roll on $6 kenda tubes. There are some interesting things out there regarding self sealing tubes but that doesn't really work great on high pressure road bike tubes only MTB tires. At higher pressure the Slime leaks through the hole and doesn't seal right.
>>
>>1312053
Mechanical discs are garbage. Hydros are nice for drop bar mountain bikes (a.k.a. gravel bikes) and light touring/commuter bikes, but not a necessity. For trekking bikes I'd go cantis for sheer simplicity and availability of parts. For road race bikes they're meme. They're better for carbon wheels, but in a road race you shouldn't need max power braking much if at all, and on technical descents they start having problems like warped rotors and cooked fluid. I'm sure they'll get way better in the next decade, especially when the companies introduce larger front rotors, tho of course they'll do it in such a way that you have to buy completely new frames. Planned obsolescence in the industry is getting fucking shameful.
>>
>>1311912
Your life is worth more than $40.
>>
>>1311912
You should know at least enough to use a spoke wrench, and to identify if the bearings in both wheel and headset are OK or need service.
>>
>>1312125
>Mechanical discs are garbage.
wrong
>>
>>1312125
>drop bar mountain bikes (a.k.a. gravel bikes)
Yea sometimes I just make stuff up too
>>
>>1312125
> in a road race
Fuck your road races, and fuck your luddite nonsense.
>>1312207
I mean that part is kinda true though. inb4 but muh spyres, just no. I want to be able to do a stoppie under all circumstances including braking from the hoods, with contaminated pads, without setting up my hand position perfectly for maximum leverage, like the kind of thing that happens in real world emergencies and not your youtube tests.
>>
>>1311912
Spoke wrench and a stick or two.
Use the sticks to see which parts are misaligned and tighten accordingly.
>>
>>1312207
Mechanical discs do suck ass m8. The cable pull through the braking power is just so non-linear and non-responsive. Cable rim brakes over disc erryday
>>
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CXLKNFX/ref=sspa_mw_detail_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1

is it retarded or am i retarded?
>>
>>1312293
The former
>>
File: wut.jpg (20 KB, 365x251)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>1312293
both
>>
>>1311816
Alright, Thanks!
>>
any mirror recommendations?
>>
File: GOAT shifting system.jpg (205 KB, 2233x1553)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
>>1312296
>implying thumbies aren't
>C O M F Y
>>
>>1312335
no
>>
File: SheldonBrown[1].jpg (528 KB, 1200x1600)
528 KB
528 KB JPG
>>1312335
>>
>>1312347
you gotta go back man
>>
>>1312212
Glad to meet a fellow product manager!
>>1312218
Why so angry?
>>
>>1311912
that's a classic Trek frame, it never was and never will be a POS
>>
planning to build a single speed cyclocross bike
can I just put a single speed sprocket on a new wheel? (specifically mason x hunt disc wheelset)
and what sprocket would you recommend for a cx/gravel bike?
>>
>>1312243
I can tell you've never done a substantive ride on hilly terrain, in the rain, carrying loads.

Mechanical discs are good. Sean Conway used them for breaking the cross europe record. You can fix them yourself in the arse end of nowhere with a spare cable, they're cheap, they're easy to service, and they work fine.
>>
>>1312450
>can I just put a single speed sprocket on a new wheel?

No, but kind of. You can get a single cassette cog of your desired size and fill the rest of the freehub body with spacers. I think you might need a special lockring to do this though.

>what sprocket would you recommend for a cx/gravel bike?
Ratios are a highly personal subject.
>>
Hey it’s the same guy from this post >>1311824 looking for genders. Tire size is 26 x 1.62 what is the width in mm? I tried searching for conversions but had trouble finding anything other than overall circumference or maybe diameter
>>
>>1312516
>genders
meant to type fenders
>>
>>1312521
There are only two fenders, anon.
>>
>Order a new bike last Sunday
>Get a call from the shop it's ready this afternoon
>It snowed all afternoon and will most of the night
Fucking Colorado.
>>
>>1308610
I currently ride a cheap bigboi store road bike, but its a bit shit with crap breaks. Looking at getting a nicer bike and riding more, should i go for a nicer road bike or a hybrid bike?
>>
>>1312450
>SS cross bike
seems utterly pointless
drop bars let you do road-esque fast riding on the flat
but you're going to need low gears for getting up technical hills
you can't stand and mash either like you could on a fixie, because you'll lose traction. So you can't gear high.
You'll need low gears and then you'll spin out in any situation where the drop bars might be useful.
You'll only go fast down hills, coasting, in which case you might as well have flat bars for better control.

A SS mtb, or a ss townie, or a ss fast city bike makes sense, but a SS cross bike? Nah.
Atleast go 1x with a bar end shifter or something.
>>
>>1312450
hell or just do what you were gonna do but put a long stem and flat bars on it
>>
>>1312516
Disregard I just realized the second number is inches and just need to convert to mm boy am I dumb
>>
>>1312565
>bigboi store road bike
shit, I'm in Atlanta, where's the Big Boi store?
>>
File: 20190413_132759.jpg (3.62 MB, 4032x3024)
3.62 MB
3.62 MB JPG
What is this mix? Is it not full 105?
>>
>>1313945
You can clearly see int he picture that it has Ultegra shifters. All components are marked, use your eyes.
>>
is it worth it to get a sliding rear rack where I can clip the bag onto it instead of a normal one?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.