[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 121 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: hybrid.jpg (49 KB, 630x354)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
Can we talk about hybrids?
I see that they are kinda hated here because they don't excel nor at road or mountain.

The way I see it, they are a middle point.
I've never owned one but I've had road and mountain bikes. I recently got attracted to them because I've seen that they can be fast and also a good commuter.

Are they a meme? Latest trick by the jews?They good?
I would like to hear a more in depth opinion of you.

What are some good models?
I've been looking at a Giant Escape and a Trek FX.
>>
>>1307987
they can be nice as commuters, or as something a boomer keeps in his garage and never rides.
>>
>>1307987

Hybrids are and always have been an attempt to sell shit-tier shifters to shit-tier riders.

Nothing makes sense about a hybrid except the price-point, and that only makes sense to the cancerous cutout commonly known as LBS.
>>
>>1307987

Hybrids are just 90s rigid mtbs but superior in every way.
>>
hybrid ads are hilarious
>>
just look at this shit lmao
>>
>>1307987
Insecure neophytes get irrationally angry at them because they're not steelisreal meme tourers with radavist approved bikepacking ultraromance accessories. "Waah the performance sucks" they say, and then in the same breath they'll recommend some busted fucked up dutch bike with a barely working 3-speed hub because it's "practical".

In reality hybrids are a far superior "practical bike" than 99% of the garbage that gets shilled as "practical" online, the only real issue I have with the way they're typically set up is that they don't come with lights, the pedals usually suck, and they have too many chainrings. Oh also the tires always suck too. But beyond that they're pretty great for the average casual cyclist.
>>
>>1307987
If it doesn't have a suspension fork then it's probably ok
>>
File: ergonGP5.png (747 KB, 1024x1024)
747 KB
747 KB PNG
>>1307987
I bought a Trek FX2 last fall. I didn't know 4chan had a cycling board and I really had no idea what I was doing, kind of went in blind. They were on sale at the LBS though. I've been riding 3~ times a week since it started warming up, I figure if I outgrow it at least its an easy sell compared to a more expensive roadbike. I'm just testing the waters, don't know how deep I'll go in this sport/hobby.

I always thought drop bars were just for go fasto but now I realize the real value(for noobs like me) is being able to vary your hand positions in longer rides. I've been thinking of picking up a set of these grips to give me some more variation. Do you all think this is a good idea?
>>
>>1308011
Consider getting bullhorns instead, you'll get more variety in hand positions and it looks cooler too.
>>
>>1308011
I actually prefer my flat bar bike over my drop bar for commuting type stuff because the drop bars require you to get in more of a “position” than flat bars, but I also find myself wanting to change hand positions. Bar ends are the perfect solution imo
>>
>>1308012
That seems a little aggressive for my experience level but I will have to look into it.

>>1308013
Thanks. I'm mostly commuting and just going for workout rides. Speed and aero is something I'm not going to worry about for awhile, too fat.
>>
>>1308011
Yea, bar ends are a fantastic addition to flat bars. They pretty much let you sprint and climb out of the saddle in a much more relaxed form. And offer a nice place to rest your hands just to get some variety on longer rides.

>>1308012
Oh yea he should just get new bars, shifters and brakes jyst because it looks better. Great advice
>>
>>1308015
Comfort is way more important than speed and aero in pretty much every case.
>>
File: XkuMzlF.jpg (707 KB, 4128x2322)
707 KB
707 KB JPG
>>1308016
????
>>
>>1307998
Look out bro you're gonna crash into that rock!
>>
>>1308020
he boutta finna do a bunny hop
>>
File: IMG_20180617_183304_hdr.jpg (912 KB, 1720x3056)
912 KB
912 KB JPG
>>1307987
>>1307996
>>1307998

I fucking love my hybrid, had a blast with it last summer and I love the versatility. It's great that I can go fast while wearing shorts and a tshirt like a normal person instead of a lycra condom faggot who practices taking it in the ass because aero.

I'm having a hell of a time replacing it now that I'm ready to upgrade though because no one makes a similar bike with high specs. It's completely silent, the freewheel makes no noise at all and I actually spooked deer several times because they didn't hear me until I was like 10ft away. I have the stem really high up and with massive swept back bars for maximum comfort and control.
>>
>>1308053
lmao what
you can wear shorts and a t-shirt on any bike
>>
>>1308055
It's the mentality. Low drop bars make you get low and ass high for aero, eventually you want more gains and start wearing lycra and then end up sucking off strangers at gay nightclubs while taking it in the rear since you become so accustomed to the position.

The only way to avoid this is to ride a casual hybrid with flat bars in casual clothing. Anything else just leads back to the gay nightclub and having your intestines vaccumed to drain the semen clot.
>>
Hybrids are fine and arguably more enjoyable to ride than road bikes. Road bikes force you to be more aerodynamic which is not as comfortable as an upright riding position.So all in all, all road bikes have over hybrids is multiple hand positions, aerodynamic posture and road bike pedaling geometry.
>>
>>1308070
>Road bikes force you to be more aerodynamic which is not as comfortable as an upright riding position
That's nonsense
Many road bikes have upright riding positions, and relatively relaxed geo.
>>
>>1308073

Endurance geometry is still hunched over aero shit.
>>
>>1308070
An upright position is only comfortable for short periods of time. Once you start doing multi-hour rides it's normal to want a more forward position so you can share your weight more evenly. It has little to do with muh aero.
>>
File: flatbarsandfenders.png (471 KB, 600x529)
471 KB
471 KB PNG
>>1307996
>>1307998
i know right
>>
>>1308074
nonsense
you could walk into any bike shop and buy a larger sized endurance frame with the drop bars at saddle height
>>
>>1308087

I'm gonna punch you in the fuckin head
>>
>>1307998
>>1307996
w-woh, he's fast!
>>
there are some truly garbage hybrids out there, especially anything with a cheap suspension fork. giant roam comes to mind.

but there are also some hybrids that are an outstanding value, such as the steel framed trek 820s, the steel framed crossroads, disc brake giant escapes, and kona dews.

these hybrids have good quality components, lightweight frames, and appropriate geometry for their purpose. they also have good rack and fender compatibility.
>>
>>1308074
have you ever actually been on a road bike
endurance geo is basically bolt upright mate
>>
File: front1.jpg (1.27 MB, 1160x970)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
I've had a couple of hybrids pass through my garage, some nicer ones even, and there's nothing wrong with the concept itself. As other anons have pointed out, the usual problem with "hybrids" is that they're poorly designed or spec'd and so do nothing well, but good ones are fine riding, versatile bikes.

Personally, I don't own one because I prefer a touring bike for transport purposes, and on casual cruising rides or mixed-terrain trips I'm perfectly comfy on bikes with drop bars.
>>
>>1308091
820 is shit because of the cheap sus as you mentioned. FX and other road-oriented hybrids are much better since most people will never ride anything more technical than a lumpy sidewalk.
>>
I own a hybrid, honestly I like it. very lightweight due to the aluminium frame, front suspension is shit and heavy so I replace it with rigid ones

also upgraded the shitty acera to at least decent alivio hollowtech

pretty versatile and not expensive since I have yet to know whether I want to do roadbike or mtb
>>
>>1308095
the old full rigid ones were good. new trek is kinda all shit as far as I'm goncerned
>>
>>1308113
their 2019 colourschemes are pretty damn cool
>>
>>
this one looks especially good in person
easily the coolest looking entry level roadie i've seen in shops recently
>>
>>1308117
I like the red and white with skinwalls color scheme. It's totally timeless. It would be better with silver components though.

On the emonda, and most entry level road bikes, the way they squish the top tube flat where it joins to the seat tube looks really ugly. I won't buy one for that reason.
>>
File: hybrids.jpg (56 KB, 905x398)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
Hybrids are good bikes. Versatile and fun. Good options include:
Kona Dew Plus
Marin Fairfax
GT Tachyon
Trek FX
Specialized Sirrus (Vita if femanon)
Cannondale Bad Boy
Giant Escape
>>
>mountian - utility - road
This is false. Utility bikes are not some halfway point between mountain and road. Both of those have very different problems with very different solutions. Utility bikes are likewise their own special thing, with important features neither of those have.

>>1308000
>hybrids are a far superior "practical bike", except for the lights, pedals, chainrings, tires, and the fucking rider. Other than those little details they are far superior.
You're not really making a strong argument here. Do they have really great saddles or something?! If you want a "practical bike", get a specialized practical bike that's really good at doing that one thing. The market for practical bikes is very small in Burgerland, be prepared to shop around and pay a bundle, but if you need one they're as much a bargain as any good tool.

>OP: I recently got attracted to them because I've seen that they can be fast and also a good commuter.
But a good commuter is not fast, Anon. Those lycra-clad dopers in the Tour de France are not commuting to work, they ARE at work. Their work just happens to be going fast. Commuting is a very different job, and it needs very different tools. Trying to draw some compromise between them will not result in something good at either. Be more realistic about who you are and what you want, or get two (or more!) bikes. For commuting you will want fenders (from the factory!), lights (dyno powered, from the factory!), some sort of rack / basket system (from the factory!), perhaps electrical assist (not rear hub kit from China!) and an overall design that trades performance for reliability, while maintaining high overall quality. You're not in a race, you just need to roll out of bed 5 minutes earlier.

Or you can get a hybrid from Wal-Mart and fasten all those accessories on with P-clamps, but don't pretend that your getting some sort of mystical road / mountain synergy or something.
>>
File: knobgobblersdream.jpg (639 KB, 1844x1037)
639 KB
639 KB JPG
>>1308168
>but don't pretend that your getting some sort of mystical road / mountain synergy or something.

That is exactly what you're getting, an all terrain synergy that idiot road bikers have just started to re-discover and have boneheadedly named the 'gravel bike'. It's a fucking rigid hybrid with drop bars to those of us who don't gobble dicks for breakfast.
>>
>>1308115
Cool bike. Who makes it?
>>
>>1308176
I could have a lot of fun grinding gravel with that thing, but it's not so good at other jobs. It's too expensive for the "hybrid" market segment, and it's a lousy utility bike.
>>
>>1308062
Sounds like you've had an interesting life!
>>
>>1308176
>It's a fucking rigid hybrid with drop bars
And a more sporty geometry. And a 1x drivetrain usually. IMO if you change the bars, drivetrain and geometry, you get to give the bike a different name.
>>
>>1308062
The seating position on a casual hybrid ideally prepares you for riding dick while sucking off another guy after your inevitable gender reassignment surgery.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, we're not judging you.
>>
>>1308062
Imagine being this preoccupied and insecure about your sexuality lmao
>>
>>1308074
When you try to touch your toes do you fall over backwards? Is that how inflexible and unathletic you are? How can you even bend your legs to pedal if you think leaning forward 5 degrees from vertical to reach the bars on an endurance boomerstacked piece of shit is in any way “hunched over aero shit”?
>>
>>1307987
a
>>
>>1308000
Son, if you want fancy lights, pedals, bars, grips etc, go buy some. An enthusiast will want to customize their ride anyhow. It’s not a hipster singlespeed “muh leather saddle” kind of thing, it’s a matter of either shaping yourself to the needs of the bike or the bike to your own needs, and unless you are brand new, you should be focused on the latter.
>>
>>1308062
We're all just one bad decision from a life of gay nightclubs, aren't we.
>>
>>1307996
>>1307998
Hybrids?
More like, """"flat bar road bikes"""". Fuckin' yuck!
>>
what do you guys think of pic related?
>>
>>1308365
Looks comfy and practical. I just wish they'd put wider tires on them instead of that useless suspension fork. 2" tires would be ideal.
But from what I read, an alum suspension fork is actually cheaper to make than a proper rigid one that doesn't give you numb hands from the road vibrations.
>>
File: 14535845384123.jpg (6 KB, 222x227)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>1308180
>>
>>1308180
You clearly don’t understand the peacock mind of the racer
>>
>>1308365
It looks practical and effective, I would buy and ride that bike. It's heavy, slow, and useless for any sort of sport or competition of course, but that's hardly a mark against it. Everything >>1308374 says is true. I might also prefer:
- Geared hub instead of that fragile and awkward triple chainring derailleur.
- A beefier rack with integrated panniers, or a porteur setup.
-Dick brakes, but only if the budget can support good ones. Good vee brakes are better than cheap disks.
-Good solid fork is better than cheap suspension fork, as mentioned.
-Dutch style full chaincase instead of that plastic cover if you keep it outside.
-Frame lock, with plug in chain or cable. It looks like it has mounts for one.
-Keyed nuts on the seatpost, stem, wheels, and everywhere else.
-Internal cable routing is especially nice for this application...

None of these features are cheap though, and this model has been carefully built down to its specific price point. If that price is your price, then I'm sure it's a good deal and will serve you well. There's nothing wrong with it for what it is, it's hardly a BSO that will fall apart before you can pedal it home from the store! If you're going to buy a city / utility bike at all you're probably going to use it a whole bunch though, and if you have a few extra dollery-doos you might spend them on the next level up. Buying the best everyday tools you can afford is always good advice.
>>
File: serveimage (22).jpg (144 KB, 800x600)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>1308117
> Trek stealing Klein's Trademark paint jobs

I am ok with this. I hope those harlequin paint jobs come back in a big way. Kleins always gave me the biggest hard on. Kleins were delicious unobtanium for me though.
>>
Hybrids suck total ass. Owned one for a few months and would rather commute on my bmx. Traded it for a 90s Gios that is so much nicer to ride and look at.
>>
>>1308500
>stealing

Trek bought Klein in 1995.
>>
File: extra component.jpg (32 KB, 684x600)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>1308365
Wut is?
>>
>>1308529
You could at least give some reasons, because the commute on BMX thing is retarded
>>
BMX is about as specialized as it gets; doing anything other than BMX on a BMX is retarded. Not that there's anything wrong with BMX itself though.
>>
>>1308543
A dynamo
>>
>>1308181
I was about to argue with you but I just checked Salsa's website and holy fuck. Are they on crack? $2500 for Tiagra and Spyres?

Who buys this shit?
>>
>>1307987
bought a haanjo and i love it.
steel fork
disk brakes
1 x 9 drive train
38 cm tire clearance
rack / fender mounts

it is literally all the best features for a commuter. it is fun to ride, but increases my commute by like ~2 minutes
>>
File: 2ufx9bl (1).jpg (63 KB, 1000x667)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>1308540
Did not know that...no wonder the brand went nowhere. Sad. They were like the apple of mountain bikes at one stage.
>>
It's fucking ridiculous that you can't go into a store, drop 300 bucks and walk out with a bike that will get you to and from work, around town, and on a smooth gravel path or road while in a comfortable position, without falling to pieces in 3 months. I don't want to race, I don't want to go "areo", and I don't want to go over any sick jumps on gnarly single track brah. I just want a fucking bike to ride without it costing half a grand to even reach entry-level.

And don't even start on the whole 90's mtn bike meme. First, you gotta find the fucker, make sure it's good, and even then, you're still dealing with a 30 year old machine! (And God help you if you're over 6 feet and trying to find something you can actually ride.)
>>
>>1308571
Why the fuck arent you searching second hand bikes locally and posting candidates here for our brains trust to evaluate for you. Thats how you do it. Finding /n/ is half the job. Now do your research.
>>
File: Klein Quantum Pro 001.jpg (397 KB, 1600x1200)
397 KB
397 KB JPG
>>1308569
yeah Kleins were fucking sick
even cooler than the old cannondales which are themselves very cool
I think Trek must have just taken the tech, for their own bikes, so they could compete with cannondale on alum roadies, and not bought them for the brand. Which is unusual.

i'd love to have one one day.
not so much a mtb though, i'd rather an old steel mtb if an old mtb.
>>
File: 1974_10.jpg (193 KB, 1016x648)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>1308571
if you live in a city in america you've got no right to complain
your used bike market is probably amazing compared to anywhere else in the world
you've got access to infinite resources to learn how to work on bikes, and to order tools and parts yourself. you likely even have a place where you can go and learn to do it and borrow tools for free.
And you're already posting on an enthusiast board, you're halfway to not being a lazy casual.
>>
>>1307987
I used to use flat bars and bar ends a lot
and have come to dislike them somewhat
there are some advantages like the narrow width
and they are easier to use single handed while standing up than other types of bar
but bull horns or flared drops with combination of shifters and levers seem to be the end game

other issue is tires
700x35 seems fairly normal for a 13 kg bike at the moment
lighter frames and larger wheels can get away with narrower tires
>>
>>1308571
I got my flat bar road bike from the lbs for $300. I didn't walk out with the bike, because they had to order and assemble it.
>>
>>1308557
Dumb roadies who bend over forwards to pay shimano an extra $200 for one more chain ring or an extra $1000 for two hobby servos to pull the wires.

Cycling is literally the most cancerous industry there is selling ancient technology at a markup that would make the jewest of jews blush.
>>
>>1308614
t. jealous poorfag
>>
>>1308011
an ideal length of bar end is around 120 to 130 mm
the longer 150 mm+ or curved versions may obstruct or delay access to the brake levers
the older round type of bar end is 25.4 mm diameter and 70 mm circumference and can be used to good effect with foam grips
newer types are profiled to a particular hand shape so you would need to shop around for one that fits you
or you could go to something like cane creek ergo control bar ends - they are set further back so will not stick out too far
>>
>>1308619
There is a difference between being poor and being stupid. I could buy out a bike shop if I wanted, but that would be fucking stupid, and so would paying $200 to go from claris to sora.

Fuck shimano in general; really excited to see how china develops it's domestic bike market.
>>
>>1308543
you must be 18 to post here.
>>
>>1308631
the difference between 11-25 and 11-28
or between 11-12-13-14 (a 9 spd 11-28 cassette) and 11-13-15-17 (an 8 spd 11-28 cassette)
is significant for a roadie.

Although yeah, claris is still good.

Shimano in general is just extremely good and always has been, at almost every level.
>>
>>1308571
>It's fucking ridiculous that you can't buy a bike worth riding for 300 bucks.
Of course you CAN get a BSO for that money, and that's a fucking miracle of manufacturing. I have no idea how you can build a bicycle that actually works (sort of), ship it across the sea and distribute it, and still make a profit. We love to poke fun at them here, but I couldn't even buy the raw materials for that. As for real bikes you can rely on, it just is what it is. See how much car, boat, plane, train, or even motorcycle you can buy for half a grand. Or even half a mill! Good tools cost good money, and always have.
>>
>>1308578
Depends on the city. Most suck, and a handful like Colorado Springs, NYC, and Seattle are good. The problem with used bikes is that unless you have some knowledge and a good deal of luck, finding anything used that is decent for under $300 is difficult, and you inevitably have to deal with Old Bike Problems, like replacing tires, brake pads, poor parts availability due to outdated standards, etc. New, unless you're like that anon who got that nice Marin for $350 during a liquidation sale, you're not getting anything more than a wobbly BSO. Meanwhile in Japan or Copenhagen, you can drop the equivalent of $250 on a new and reliable city bike. It might be 20kg and kinda shit to ride, but it'll get you from A to B without falling apart like a shart*mart special would.
>>1308557
I think that's a Vaya, which is somewhat cheaper for 105 and Spyres, although still overpriced imo. The Journeyman is even cheaper, around $800 for Claris plus chinkbraeks. The $2500 one is a Warbird Carbon, which carries a Fred tax. QBP shit in general is overpriced.
>>
>>1308647
replacing worn tires and brake pads isn't a problem, it's an opportunity
>>
>>1308571
>a bike that will get you to and from work, around town, and on a smooth gravel path or road while in a comfortable position
1970s 10 speeds and 1980s 12 speeds are the closest to that in living memory

>And God help you if you're over 6 feet
there are only three frame sizes now any variance within them is taken up by longer seat posts and higher stems/riser bars

>falling to pieces in 3 months
I have encountered the bottom barrel of the bike market most often
so can give a quick run down on common flaws that have gotten worse since the close of the 90s

>brake levers and arms
too thin by half
the wrong over all shape
out of spec and made of pot metal and its plastic equivalent
be sure to stock self tapping screws

>shifters
friction thumb shifters are neigh impossible to mess up but are less often on bikes now
indexed thumb shifters have taken their place on the lower end - the bad ones wear out a little quicker but ehh
the worst are imitation grip shifters as they almost always bind up or fail
https://www.amazon.co.uk/FireCloud-Cycles-POWER-Bicycle-SHIFTER/dp/B01A6XBI56
slightly more expensive bikes use shimano revoshift or sram mrx and this works fine

>derailleur
low cost ones still work fine and are easy to adjust
only beef is some cable tension adjustment barrels are annoying to turn

>frame
first thing is the weight
next is weird geometry and poor accommodation for luggage racks

>bearings
no cartridge bearings here
nor any lubricant
and sometimes blasting beads
or one of the bottom bracket outer bearing race was installed cross threaded

>50 mm travel suspension forks
spring is steel and too stiff
damping is a sponge soaked in oil
dust covers torn up
stanchion tubes normally rusted to slider tube
mostly a 2 kg dead weight

>tires and inner tubes
more silicon than rubber
mold release agent everywhere
cant be patched with vulcanizing glue
hard and grip less compound with fast wear rate
>>
>>1308614
Are you having a stroke, grandpa?
>>1308647
Yeah but I can easily get a name brand crabon 105 bike with full hydro for under $2300 at full retail, I assume anyone spending that amount knows what they're after, and can see that the Salsa is a ripoff, no? Or do they have a completely different marketing channel that feeds off retards?
>>
>>1308552
>>1308632
a bottle dynamo, in current year?
>>
>>1308690
>a kickstand, in current year?
>a threaded freewheel, in current year?
>a square taper triple chainring, in current year?
Indeed, it's not a great bike
>>
>>1308691
not original anon but the last 2 out of 3 of those things are cheaper. A set of rechargeable LED blinkers is $15. There's no way a bottle dynamo is less than that.
>>
I use to ride a hybrid around 15 miles round trip to see my g/f and it was a blast just bombing down streets upright with the wind blasting you in the face.
>>
>>1308736
It is when you have a warehouse full of them that nobody wants to buy
>>
>>1307987
I really like a mountain bike with 2" kevlar bead slicks and a lower stem. A nice one is honestly about as fast as a "road" bike except a lot more durable and better able to handle grass or slightly slippery inclines.
Other than upright meandering, I can't imagine a single thing the hybrid does as well.
>>
>>1308664
>I assume anyone spending that amount knows what they're after, and can see that the Salsa is a ripoff, no? Or do they have a completely different marketing channel that feeds off retards

Salsa sells a lot of low-medium end models, not so many of their high end models.

As you mentioned at the enthusiast price point of $2k+ they just don't hold up that well to other offerings.

That whole company is about style over substance. Salsa is the company for chill left coast bikebros who want to tool around on some dusty wide flat trail before riding home at 11mph (not saying that isn't awesome, but that is their brand).

All-City is the hipster brand meant to appeal to young people and has a 'vintage' look with modern components. Old ripoffs of Pugeot livery. Not a horrible idea but a not-great steelie frame bike of theirs is $1200 and up. That's a lot for 4130 chromoly and about 400 more than what the same chromoly salsa starts at. All-City's Cosmic Stallion is the nice one and is over $3,000. I also dislike how they are using the names of dead wrestlers who can't technically sue them (macho man, gorilla monsoon, etc) because their estates weren't in Cali where you have likeness rights after death.
>>
>>1308823
>Other than upright meandering, I can't imagine a single thing the hybrid does as well.

It gets you on a bike for less than $500. You can walk into an LBS like a total ricky retardo and leave with a bike that is serviceable, comfortable, and faster than most boomers remember since the last thing they rode was a gaspipe univega or 45 lb 90s Mongoose MTB.
>>
>>1308823
>Other than upright meandering, I can't imagine a single thing the hybrid does as well.
I think you've hit the nail on the head right there, Anon. There are a large number of people who want a cheap bike to do that specific thing. They're not 'cyclists', they just want a cycle. The industry caters to their needs.
>>
File: $_86.jpg (181 KB, 1024x768)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
There are cool and shitty hybrids. Same as with every other kind of bicycle. Simple as that.
>>
File: image.jpg (117 KB, 2048x1365)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>1308011
>vary your hand positions in longer rides

get these bars, thank me later

https://www.modolo.it/products/trekking-handlebars/modolo-yuma-1/
>>
File: aeras.jpg (178 KB, 1400x900)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
Anyone knows if the Haro Aeras is good for the money?

I can get one used for 300. New is 520 according to the Haro website.

Pic related. I was thinking on buying a giant escape or a trek fx but this opportunity came out.
>>
>>1308842
I'm looking at the escape too, I don't like the colors or tube shape, but no one else seems to do full internal cable routing without going full retard with a full carbon fork.
>>
>>1308736
A bottle dynamo is under $10 retail.
>>
>>1308736
It's a German bike.
LED lamps aren't street legal for bicycles that weigh more than 10kg and aren't designed for a sporting purpose. I wish I was kidding.
>>
File: stzvo.png (37 KB, 700x328)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>1308859
>I wish I was kidding.
Sounds legit to me. A real road-going vehicle, on real roads with real traffic, with after-thought blinky lights that you have to detatch and recharge? Or better yet: no lights or even reflectors at all? I've never quite understood how that's a thing. The motorcycle people couldn't get away with that! Germans seem to have the the right idea regulating bikes under the same law as semi-trucks; they're all part of the same system.

OTOH, bottles are shit. Hub dynos don't cost any more if they're built into the wheel from the start, and are vastly better.
>>
>>1308866
Where is the seatbelt you nazi madman? And the mandatory refugee carrier trailer; it's every white cyclists duty to taxi brown refugees!
>>
>>1308870
>>>/pol/
>>
>>1308647
>Meanwhile in Japan or Copenhagen, you can drop the equivalent of $250 on a new and reliable city bike

Do you mind posting an example of those? I'm really curious about how a good bike for $250 looks.
>>
>>1307996
God damnit why can't I have this kind of geometry and nut clearance on XL frames?
>>
File: trek_dual_sport_2-1.jpg (160 KB, 1250x833)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
This shit right here; full internal cable routing, great paint job, casual geometry and fucking ruined by a shitty lead filled coil fork.

Why won't they make this bike with an aero rigid fork? All of the FX lineup have shitty exposed cables. Give me this bike with a rigid fork and hollowtech crankset, even a chinese one.
>>
>>1308973
it's called endurance geometry big boy
>>
>>1307987
I worked at a shop and tricked out this boomers trek FX. That was the only time I ever was like "yeah, I wanna ride one of those"
>>
>>1308993
>shitty exposed cables
This is just such an insane thing to be concerned about on ugly low end casual bikes. It doesn't matter at all. And it's a feature of higher end bikes. It's more expensive to do it that way.

And you CAN get a much the same Trek hybrid with a rigid fork, it's pic related.

And having a cheap crank is because it's a cheap bike. If you want a hollowtech double or single crank, you're just not in the right pricerange, higher spec models of the same thing do have one. And there's nothing stopping you from simply upgrading it later. It's not that hard. It's only gonna be like ~$100 to get a better crank on it later.

Your shit just does not make any sense.
>>
>>1308993
AND THAT BIKE EVEN HAS SOME INTERNALLY ROUTED CABLES
>>
>>1309199
>It's not that hard. It's only gonna be like ~$100 to get a better crank on it later.

Yeah that's exactly what I wanted to do but that doesn't get rid of the stupid exposed cables that collect grime and end up as rust.

>on ugly low end casual bikes
I think that bike looks great other than the exposed cables and cheap crank. Internal cable routing and claris cranks would make it perfect.
>>
>>1308062
You have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

The semen doesn't clot in my asshole.
>>
>>1308664
Most people have no idea how to bike shop, new or used. It's why Trek and Specialized can mark up their bikes more than their smaller competitors, while making higher margins due to economies of scale and whatnot.
>>
>>1309638
those two actually put significant money into r & d and release better bikes each year though

the fancy smart weld and crazy tube shapes and hydroforming spesh do on their bikes and all that jazz means a modern allez is a WAY better bike than a decade ago.

bottom price brands don't do that at all, they just copy and release older designs.
>>
>>1308993
because casuls have been made to think that bikes without suspension are unsafe
>>
>>1308115
>>1308116
>>1308117
>$10,000 bikes
>>
>>1309665
the full R7000 105 ALR5 is $1500
the photos don't do it justice either

it's what i'd get for a mid range roadie
>>
>>1309642
Hydroforming and smartweld are primarily cost-cutting measures. You need a lot less tooling for the former, and you can take any idiot off the street (or use a robot) to weld those smartweld tubes together.
>>
>>1309673
ok, whatever it is they're doing, their modern allum frames ride significantly better than older or cheaper ones.
>>
>>1309674
Back in the day, the trend was to make shit as stiff as possible, which happened alongside the wide adoption of Al as a framebuilding material. Mainstream manufacturers used straight gauge tubing (which, in addition to being stiffer, was cheaper than butted), which made ride quality go to hell. This gave Al a bad rep, and everyone jumped to garbon ASAP. But in 1997, a couple of things happened. Cannondale figured out how to heat treat 6061, which meant that they could start using thinner-walled tubing. And they started using butted tubes. Now, everyone does, maybe because hydroforming makes it cheaper to do.
>>
>>1309700
thank you for a bit of this background
>>
>>1309700
Shit I gotta test ride a couple modern alum bikes now, and possibly build my fifth bike.
>>
OP here. I ended up buying a Haro Aeras.

I paid around 250 dollars for it on the third world market. How did I do?
The components are basic but they work great.
The frame is alu. The design is nice (see rear brake and top tube is thin with no cables) and the result is a very light bike.
It's really fast and it encourages for speed.

I'm really happy with it.
Tomorrow I'll take better photos.
>>
>>1310122
The seat now is set correctly.
>>
>>1310126
Looked fine to me anon, the advantage of having a seat angled up is that you can shift your weight back off the seat quickly when your front wheel needs to roll over something.
>>
>>1310141
It looked way too low
>>
>>1310122
so after all this talk of 'building' a 'custom' bike, with a 2 piece crank, hydros, internal cable routing, how ugly exposed welds are

it turns out that you didn't even have enough money to buy a frameset and you didn't end up getting any of your 'preferences'
>>
>>1310122
That looks like a pretty decent bike, and $250 looks like a very good deal. You can't go far wrong for that. It's hardly a good commuter, it needs a bunch of other stuff and does not seem to have the mounts for it, but it's a good example of what a "hybrid" type can be. Congratulations!
>>
>>1310153
Woah woah woah, the OP of this thread is not me the guy bitching about shitty factory bikes. I made my own thread for that. I'm looking at maybe sourcing an alum frame from china for a build.

Or if I can't do that then I might order a 2018 norco VFR 2. Not thrilled about the grey color, but it has pretty decent specs. Or just give in and get one of these fancy new charcoal fiber fork bikes and smash my teeth in after I crash it.
>>
haha sorry op your bike looks good for the money, chuck a rack and ziptie a basket on that if you're gonna commute

>>1310159
ur still a dumb faget
>>
>>1310165
>ur still a dumb faget
Stay mad roadie and remember to get that semen vacuumed out of your intestines.
>>
>>1310171
>remember to get that semen vacuumed out of your intestines.
that doesn't even make sense anon
we can digest semen just fine
>>
>>1310153
OP here. You fucking retard, that guy was not me. In fact, that post with the photo was my third post on this thread. I made the thread, then asked if the Haro was good and then I posted a photo of the one I bought. And I don't give a shit about any of those features on this type of bike.
Please kill yourself, you can't even follow a conversation.

>>1310155
Yeah, the price was good I think. Like I said, the bike options where I live are not as many as the US market so considering that I think I made a good deal.
Yeah, as it is, it's not a commuter but it does have mounts for a rear rack so I'm going to install one soon and I'm not sure about installing some fenders in the future.
Thanks.
>>
>>1307987
just ride a hardtail mtb. it can do everything including being airborne and has much nicer and comfier geometry than hybrids.
>>
I am a NEET, so back then, a few years ago, I bought a Cross bike that looked okay, and had decent shift and gear components installed, paid about 650€.

Problem is that it has this cheap Suntour suspension fork.
Now I cannot even straightforward install some guards, and the bike is overall heavy with about 14kg.

Also I cannot get into aggressive position to ride it fast.
Even on a small downhill, I cannot go faster than 52km/h.
>>
Best thing about commuting on hybrids is they are less likely to be stolen. Thieves think any piece of shit bike with drop bars is worth more than a nice hybrid.

Anyone who commutes on any form of mtb is a complete goober.
>>
>>1310459
>cross bike
>sus fork

You didn't buy a cross bike.
>>
>>1310554
in euro "cross" means hybrid I think
>>
>>1308115
The paint jobs on trek bikes are utterly PHENOMENAL. I bought a red domane recently and the red glossy finish is just so pretty.
>>
File: sqlab_control_rear.jpg (190 KB, 912x608)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>1308011
>>1308016

another possibility: use bar ends, but inboard of your grips. If the bar ends are long enough they can provide a position similar to that of bullhorns.
>>
>>1310554
Probably means cross country
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (219 KB, 1280x720)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
>>1310153
This is what I'm fucking talking about, up till last year trek made this little gem called the zektor. A stealth black flat bar full claris commuter with nearly every feature that I'm looking for at a modest price. Now your only choice is the FX sport if you want something similar and it costs almost twice as much with the only difference being a $100 carbon fork.
>>
>>1311693
get this through your THICK fucking skull
a carbon fork is the most worthwhile upgrade to a bike like that possible over the fucking garbage allum or hiten forks they come with below it
It is easily the best upgrade to have.

you fucking dumbcunt absolute dingofucking shithead
>>
>>1311693
>hybrid
>Claris
>flat bar
>alloy fork
>dick breaks
So, you're complaining that Giant stopped making shit bikes?
>>
>>1311696
Fine I'll take your fucken plastic fork, but on THAT bike. But nooo, instead they slap it on the FX line and move over all the same features except going to tiagra groupo so that they can bump up the price by $600 to have a ridiculous minimum barrier of entry of $1500.
>>
>>1311714
What the fuck are you even talking about?
The FX Sport 4 costs $1100.
The FX 3 costs $639.
The FX 2 Disc costs $550.
>>
>>1311693
>full claris
I can see that it has a fucking square taper crank
>>
>>1311693
You sound like you overthink things and will never be happy with any bike ever. Please sort yourself out anon.
>>
>>1308115
it's like if road bike suffers from obesity
>>
>>1311728
There's Octalink Claris IIRC
>>
>>1311826
fuck off, it clearly isn't
>>
>>1308062
>the only way to avoid becoming homosexual is to wear jorts
>>
>>1311718
In burgerland, in canada it's $1500. The zektor was priced close to what the fx3 costs.
>>
>>1307998
>>1307996
>you wish you could ride as hard as us

>>1308176
>It's a fucking rigid hybrid with drop bars to those of us who don't gobble dicks for breakfast.

no it isnt, its more similar to a 90s mtb with semi slicks and drop bar.
>>
File: caandy.jpg (2.45 MB, 4032x3024)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
>>1309791
I have a CAAD 10. With 28c tires it rides like any top quality carbon frame. Super stiff, super light, and super cheap. I found mine with full 10 speed sram red for less than a grand on craigslist. I love this thing.
>>
>>1312616
>it rides like any top quality carbon frame
yeah they're really good but how do you know lol
>>
>>1312618
I'd say they ride different. Stiffer than carbon. Boomers can't accept the CAAD life so the CAAD12 and CAADOptimo get no love.

In a perfect world lost lambs looking for their first road bike would be given a CAAD Optimo Claris and directions to HTFU
>>
>>1308187
>you get to give the bike a different name

Dave
>>
>>1312624
do you also own a 1-2 yo carbon road bike?
>>
Would the Trek FX 2 Disc be good for an extremely tall, fat guy? I'm basically looking for a bike to commute to work (3 miles from my house). The price and the XXL frame are what appeals to me the most.
>>
>>1312631
yep
>>
>>1312633
What if I weigh more than the listed weight limit? I haven't really ridden a bike regularly since I was a kid, and lately when I've tried to ride my friend's cheap mountain bike, I just felt incredibly cramped the whole time and couldn't really ride it for more than a few minutes without getting too sore.
>>
File: BridgeClub_BK9997.jpg (197 KB, 2000x1333)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
>>1312634
it's probably fine
the wheels are the thing most likely to break, but having the relatively wide 35mm tyres on there will protect them somewhat. Just don't go riding off curbs.

something really bombproof for a big lad like pic related (steel, designed for loaded offroad touring so really durable) is going to be twice the price.

I say this a lot but a Marin Muirwoods would be my pick for a hybrid, as that also has a chromoly steel frame, and it's not surly prices. But yeah I think the FX 2 disc is fine regardless of your magnitude
>>
File: unit_x.jpg (856 KB, 3301x1808)
856 KB
856 KB JPG
>>1312631
this is another option, although it's also quite a lot more expensive. Try find one to ride if you can.

The big big tires will slow you down a lot, but it doesn't matter that much if you're only riding 3 miles, and you can beat the hell on this thing even if you're 150kg. they are really rather comfy and fun
>>
>>1312634
Test ride the bike before you buy it. If you weigh more, your options are buying a much more expensive special bike, or buying a 36 spoke wheelset and having it trued professionally by a shop, or chancing it (there's a wide safety margin especially if you ride casually). Just don't go to the max extension limit on your seatpost. The frame won't explode, you'll just need to go closer to the tires rated pressure limit to avoid pinch flats and may break a spoke once in a while.
>>
>>1312638
Is there anything necessary that I should buy right off the bat other than a helmet and a lock?
>>
File: wald2.jpg (617 KB, 2448x2448)
617 KB
617 KB JPG
>>1312641
a front or rear rack or basket to chuck a bag in or attach a pannier to, but that's slightly more complicated
>>
>>1312641
>2 spare tubes and a puncture repair kit
>floor pump with pressure gauge
>chain lube
>battery lights
>bibs and a jersey in your favorite shade of neon pink
>>
>>1312618
I have a CAAD12, it's a very good frameset but I've sat on my friend's Madone and it's on an entirely different level. I also have a HongFu FM169, when compared to carbon of that level it's a wash between carbon and CAAD. The HongFu eats up road chatter a little better maybe, but just throw some 28s on the CAAD and never worry about having to deal with Chinese salesmen who hardly speak any English and revising an invoice five times because you don't want fucking Novatec skewers for the last time Robert holy shit.
>>
>>1310122
3x7 tourney.
Tektro Ares Mech disk brakes.
Hiten steel fork
Generic 28h wheelset with 32s.

Getting anything ridable at that price is a struggle.

I think it's also interesting that they're making hiten steel disc brake forks now.

The saddle and pedals look like compete garbage. Other than that, you shouldn't be looking for upgrades, you should just ride the hell out of it as is.

I think you did fine. It's barely above BSO, but it avoids many of the common pitfalls of bottom end bikes. The frame is seriously the best you could get at that price.

>>1310398
There's a mounting hole in your fork. Basic plastic fenders will fit. Rear fender can attach to the rack.

>>1310155
>but it's a good example of what a "hybrid" type can be. Congratulations!
I agree. being the cheapest bottom level commuter.

>>1312634
>>1312634

The rider type you're looking for is clydesdale.
How fat are we talking about?

Your friend's bike is almost certainly too small. I would go with a mountain bike. 29'er. Switch it to road tires, and probably a much wider saddle. The wheels will typically be the point of failure.

Since you're looking at trek, try the Marlin 6.

The theory is that a bike designed to take a 1 meter drop from a 120 kg rider is more likely to survive your 160 kg ass riding over flat ground than going over the weight limit on another bike.

>>1312638
Why not just start off with the tougher wheels and frame to begin with? An off the shelf entry level MTB, either hardtail or rigid is really a better choice than pushing the recommended envelope. Anon should of course learn how to use a spoke wrench.
>>
>>1307987
hybrids excel at sidewalk and poorly engineered crosswalks, especially hybrids with those shitty forks.
>>
>>1311746
Yeah the more time I spend looking at bikes the more little things I find that I dislike.

Like today I was looking at some treks and while getting a feel for the hydro brakes I realized that shimano uses a shitty loose fitting cotter pin to retain the pads and this allows the wheel to freely turn a couple of degrees even when the brakes are fully locked on. Tektro brakes have less play but their levers look and feel like shit while shimano looks good and feels light and airy when you pull.

Little shit like this just bothers the fuck out of me. I think I need to actually ride instead of looking at bikes and the weather has been completely uncooperative.
>>
>>1313014
Better levels of shimano pads use a threaded bolt instead of a pin. Given the choice, I'd never choose tektro over shimano. I've seen them just bust seals and start leaking after mild use too often.
>>
>>1311693
Trek has been offering something like that for the last 10 years under various names

>>1311728
I never got the hate for square taper cranks. They work, and are dirt cheap. Absolute worst case you are out $60 for a new bargain basement crank and BB
>>
>>1313068
IMO anything that's held in place by pressure alone is a failure waiting to happen.
>>
>>1313068
Find me this years model please, because I sure as fuck don't see it.
>>
File: IMG_20190412_224145.jpg (3.62 MB, 4864x2736)
3.62 MB
3.62 MB JPG
>>1308621
I have similiar ones but with little curve.
>>
bump so people who hate hybrids can rage
>>
I'm thinking bout getting a hybrid. What's the most I should spend on one?
>>
>>1316633
enough to get one without a suspension fork, otherwise $0.
>>
>>1316633
8 or 9 speed not 7 speed and a carbon or chromoly fork are worth paying for
>>
>>1316654
Does brand matter or should I just look for those specs?
>>
>>1316695
brand can matter, and specs can be decieving. If you have several options and want opinions, ask.
Another thing that's really important is just liking it for arbitrary reasons, that way you'll ride it.

And if you really want to pay like $800+ and get something fast or light or whatever just don't be a coward and get a road bike because you'll regret not doing that pretty quick.
>>
>>1316695
At the price point where a hybrid still makes sense, those specs will already be hard to come by and weed out all the shit.
Protip: If the fork is described as "steel", it's not Chromoly.

At the price point where you can get a Chromoly fork, the entry level of modern road bikes starts, which will also have mounting points for fenders and racks, 3x8 gears and tires that are wide enough for rough surfaces, but are generally faster.
At a lower price point, you can't get a good new bike but you can get a very good used bike.
That's why /n/ shits on hybrids.
>>
>>1316711
Why are all my local LBS shilling hybrids? I thought they were the best option for a new bike but fuck them for forcing overpriced shit cycles on me. Glad to to ha e a reference like /n/ to save me money and offer proper advice.
>>
>>1307987
Hybrids get hate because they're not as good as a dedicated road bike and not capable of mountain biking, but a nice one is too valuable to lock up in public when you're out utility cycling. You're better off with a bike you wouldn't mind losing for locking up in public and a dedicated machine for your leisure cycling, if you need one.
>>
>>1318607
I don't do any mountain biking. Trails are terrifying
>>
>>1316633
Used, about $200 in a hipster big city market. New about $500. If they're selling real road bikes with STI, not old 10 speeds at that price, you're probably looking at the wrong shit.

>>1316695
Brand on the frame doesn't matter. Brand on the components maters.

>>1318601
Because they're popular with clueless people, and they're usually the cheapest actual bike possible.
>>
>>1316711
>At a lower price point, you can't get a good new bike

You absolutely can. The overwhelming amount of complaints for cheap/ non LBS bikes seem to be for the monkeys that assemble them and not the actual bikes themselves. Your basic shimano tourney bike with ez fire shifters, 3 ring steel crank and shimano megarange freewheel cogs works as well as anything. It's not like comparing a 3 cylinder shoebox car to an italian sports car; bicycle components are extremely basic antiquated technology in every other field.
>>
>>1308571
I got a new trek fx for 350 euro a couple of years ago
>>
>>1318724
Nobody hates on Tourney components.
A hybrid with Tourney group, mechanical rim brakes and rigid fork would be great.
But bikes like this don't exist. Cheap bikes always have a Tourney derailleur, no name other components, but useless suspension fork and fuxking useless disc brakes.
>>
>>1319080
http://www.mielebicycles.com/1450-UMBRIA_2-hybrid-bike.html
>>
>>1319086
>http://www.mielebicycles.com/1450-UMBRIA_2-hybrid-bike.html
$574?
>>
>>1308053
>>1308062
Holy shit my fucking sides. Please post more
>>
>>1308053
Isn’t diadora a soccer shoe company?
>>
>>1319086
>>1319091
>$574
and with a hiten steel fork as well.

>>1318724
>>1319080
Just keep in mind the HUGE gap in quality between Tourney and Claris.
>>
>>1319111
Yes they are and for some reason they sell a few bikes in canada. That modena is well under $300 USD when it's on sale. It has tourney groupo minus crankset and the rim brakes work very well with the machined surface. The suspension seat is a bit springy, but still far more effective than any fork or frame material at absorbing bumps.

It would be nice if the fork wasn't steel and the groupset was a little bit lighter so that the bike was closer to ~26lbs instead of 29.5, but it's pretty much all the bike a normal person needs.
>>
>>1319086
that's entry level road bike budget. Thanks for proving my point.
>>
>>1319162
If you want to use "gruppo" instead of groupset, at least spell it correctly.
And never use it in relation to Tourney again.
>>
>>1307987
>they can be fast and also a good commuter.
Sure. But a road bike is faster and a better commuter. And then we're back to hybrids not exceling at anything.
They are a middle point between road and mtb, but the thing is I see no need for such a middle point. Even if you're only going to own one bike, you won't be taking your hybrid on the kind of off road where you're not better of just owning and commuting on a mountain bike instead. Even if you ride gravel roads where a road bike might struggle and a hybrid might excell, a gravel bike or cx still does that job better. If you want a true hybrid, get a gravel or adventure bike.
The only thing I see in the hybrids favour is the price point. A cheaper bike is better to commute on if you live in a theft prone area where you really wouldn't dare leave a nicer bike locked up outside and the option of bringing your bike inside with you is not available.
>>
>>1319162
You should also learn what a groupset actually is. It includes the brake calipers you know.

It's good you love your ride, but you should try some actual quality bikes, and youl'll have a better understanding of what makes a good bike, and be less focused on things like bottom bracket standards and aluminum forks. The moderna is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.
>>
File: IMG_20190416_182858.jpg (1.05 MB, 2448x2448)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>1319319
These days people mishmash so many parts that the meaning of grappa has changed. A bike that is sold as a claris groupset likely won't have claris brakes. Or rather manufacturers don't even advertise as a groupset. Is this not correct?

>but you should try some actual quality bikes
I have a full suspension bike with older deore XT and SLX components; it isn't any faster, smoother or better in any meaningful way for having those components other than some MTB specific issues like higher tension for less dropped chains or gearing more suited for MTB riding. I'm amazed at how light the bike is, but beyond that you'd really have to pull straws to come up with quantifiable differences that could be attributed to the much much higher cost of those components.
>>
>>1319785
>These days people mishmash so many parts that the meaning of grappa has changed.
no
>>
>>1316615
>mfw going to get a hybrid e-bike
I will become the anti-/n/
>>
>>1319796
If this is your main motivation you should definitely do it
>>
File: 724.jpg (3.71 MB, 4032x3024)
3.71 MB
3.71 MB JPG
I've fallen for the hybrid meme, can't say I regret it too much.
>>
I believe that hybrids are the future.
Ride them well and let them lead the way.
>>
>>1320105
The future of what?
>>
>>1320105
I would probably sell every one of my bikes to buy this if it had a front rack mount
>>
>>1320125
Best all purpose bike

Specialization is for insects
>>
>>1320150
That would be gravel, heinlein. You ever see what happens when you take a flat bar road with it's gearing and wheelset off road?
>>
>>1320150
I know you tried to use that as some type of insult but class insecta is the most prolific group of animals on the planet and fills almost every niche imaginable. Your tongue in cheekiness could use work
>>
>>1320151
Lots of fun locking up the rear wheel for giggles and bathing in the seething of MTB-fags who get dropped on their 30 lbs. full suspension bikes they never take down actual trails at speed?
>>
>>1320151
Gravel is a hybrid
>>
>>1320197
You might as well start calling mountain bikes hybrids.
>>
>>1320221
My Scalpel SE is a cross between XC and trail so I guess it's a hybrid. Fuck!
>>
>>1320240
I rode my CAAD12 on gravel one time it's a hybrid now too shit
>>
>>1320241
>Al frame
>carbon fork
It was never pure to begin with!
>>
I just want a sweet ride around the city
>>
File: electra_sweetride.jpg (76 KB, 784x525)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>1320248
i've got just the bike for you anon
>>
File: 71AXinQG5GL._SY450_.jpg (13 KB, 338x450)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>1320248
here u go brah
>>
File: barbike.jpg (185 KB, 700x420)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>1320248
Not only is it a sweet ride, you get all the cougar wine aunt poon you can handle.

>>1320241
Wait. It's a bar AND a bike. It's a fucking hybrid too!
>>
>>1320221
Gravel bike is a hybrid between road bike and mountain bike
Mountain bike is just a mountain bike
>>
>>1320295
Mountain bikes are between fat bikes and gravel bikes.
>>
>>1320296
Oh fuck
>>
>>1318601
Because they hit the target market perfectly.

They are not being marketed to Lance and most of /n/. They are sold to people who want something to ride on the bike trails 4-5 times a year for less than 60 miles total. For riders with no bike handling skill they easy to ride and pretty damn comfy for how much they ride. Its get people out on a bike which is always a good thing. I can put my non-riding family on hybrids and have a fun time on the bike trails.

>>1319307
Road bikes are faster for sure, but hybrids offer far more for the price point. Travel time ain't the end all be all of commuting. Gravel and CX bike prices still sit well above hybrids with similar commuter fixings.

As someone who owns a road bike for fun and a hybrid for commuting the hybrid has far more visibility for the rider due to the more upright position. Coming back to getting people on bikes; a slower, more upright position makes people feel much safer riding with traffic.

Cost is also a factor. To get what I want in a commuter(1x, hydros, rack, and fenders) I can be off to work for under $700 going with a used hybrid with mech discs to start and swap parts myself. The same requirements on a road bike are going to run double that.
>>
>>1320294
how much musty dogmom puss you think that dude on the left got that nite
>>
>>1308011
https://velo-orange.com/products/crazy-bars
You're welcome
>>
>>1320296
so it would be a good winter bike?
>>
>>1319796
anti n is a cager you goof.

>>1320398
Mountain bikes are very common winter bikes.

>>1320306
I'd check the std clinic in a few weeks to know that one.
>>
Does 210 lbs put me in the clydesdale category? I'm not fat, just meaty
>>
>>1320474
No, it puts you in the "basically any bike you want" category. You could ride a light weight carbon road bike if you want, just don't go drilling holes in it.
>>
>>1320474
90% of the bikes out there have a weight limit of 130kg / 240lbs.
The small % under that is cheap as fuck bikes and the % over it is touring bikes built for heavy travel.
>>
Maybe the albatross is the best in the air, maybe the dolphin is the best in the water, and perhaps the leopard is the fastest on land, but sometimes you just want to be a duck and get a piece of everything.

For me road bikes and mountain bikes offer too much while city bikes offer too little. So I wanted something which survives in most circumstances and resistant to most weather.
>>
>>1320552
Or you could just be a shapeshifter and turn into the optimal creature for any given terrain, aka n+1
>>
>>1320554
yeah really just get more bikes I don’t understand why these anons are trying to limit themselves to one
>>
>>1320513
you forgot the expensive racing bikes that are usually rated only 80kg or lower
>>
>>1307987
Living in a place with shit roads and motorists who hate you for existing, having a hybrid is nice. I've had one for about a decade now. Took me through college and grad school. Sure, it's heavier so it slows down your commute some, but the shitty roads here mean that road bikes get a lot more flat tires than a hybrid. Personally, I think it's nice. Won't win a race, but it can get going fast enough and the heavier construction makes it a great cargo oxen, especially if you don't mind "augmenting" your pannier mount with various industrial zip-ties and bolted metal collars.

Best part? Not nearly as pretty as a road bike, much less expensive looking. So bike thieves prioritize other peoples' bikes. (Helps that the heavier construction also means I can carry two D-locks and a chain.)
>>
>>1320557
Really? Damn, no wonder pros keep their weight at 70-75kg.
>>
>>1307987
What's the problem? Room for some beefier tires, usually good cargo options and mounts, and the comfort of a mountain bike. Perfect for short commutes.
>>
>>1320559
This anon gets it.
>>
Any thoughts on the Giant Escape 1? It's not the disc variant, but I can snag one for about 300 bucks.
>>
>>1320559
I could take all that and put Road bike in it instead of hybrid. Its a fucking bicycle. If a thief wants your bike then it doesnt matter what bike it is.
Flats have more with your riding style than anything.

Its a fucking bicycle.
>>
So would a Canyon hybrid be a good choice for a casual rider looking for something with decent quality that will last for years?
>>
>>1320590
no, you're clearly interested in going fast, and so you will very quickly regret not buying a bike with drop handlebars

They're really not that scary to ride.
>>
>>1320590
they make a cute little flat bar hybrid but i agree with
>>1320593
if you can afford a Canyon buy an Endurace it's one of the best bikes in the world.
>>
>>1320596
>if you can afford a Canyon buy an Endurace it's one of the best bikes in the world
Considering it. Assembly seems pretty straight forward from the videos I've seen. I guess it would be insulting to bring it to my LBS and have them put it together and go over it.
>>
>>1320610
>I guess it would be insulting to bring it to my LBS
Don't be silly, it's their job to help people out with their bike issues. If you want a Canyon branded bike then that's fine, there is no bikeshop that are allowed to sell them so why would they turn you down.
>>
>>1320610
Service is a profit center for LBSes, and with the way things are going, it's the only reliable one they have left. A good shop will be happy to get your bike dialed.
>>
>>1320590
No. Get a decent aluminium frame, carbon fork endurance geometry road bike with clearance for 30mm tyres and a groupset of Shimano Sora at the lowest. Tiagra if you can go higher.
>>
>>1308176
Hybrids have flat bars. Perioid.

Hybrids are also good.
>>
File: _20190424_132328.jpg (241 KB, 1079x1553)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
>>1320596
I guess this is the model within my budget. Seem decent enough?
>>
File: grappa.png (1.72 MB, 1264x2048)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB PNG
>>1319785
Did somebody say grappa?
>>
>>1320593
do they come with user manuals? never really understood how you are supposed to put your hands on those weird things
>>
>>1320659
>top flats
chill position, some use it for climbing, sort of equiv of flat bar hand position. can also be used for ultimate aero if you put your hands by the stem and tuck hard
>top curve
opens up your chest for breathing, good cruising position if you want to be a little more upright
>hoods
default cruising position, best compromise for aero and handling
>drops at the curve
old skool cruising position, now useless except for on old skool bike with downtube shifters
>drops at the ends
sprinting and technical descents. gives you more control by getting more weight over the front wheel. Some people use it for attacking climbs.
>>
>>1320474
Clydesdale starts at 91 kg. You can still get anything but racing shit, but it behooves you to pay attention to what you're getting. Less road bikes, especially the flat bar ones, and more of the wider, beefier wheels.

And it's not about being fat. It's about having the right equipment and the right technique. Other people can ride through shit that you should be hopping over.

Pic related. It's a cyldesdale. He has enough to power a toaster with his legs.

>>1320659
It will be more obvious when you set up the bike. Figure out hoods and drops position, so you can brake from both up high and down low, then get the rest in. Also keep in mind that both hands dont need to be at the same position at the same time.
>>
File: Forstermann_3.jpg (152 KB, 666x1000)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>1320693
Dammit. The dude was so swole that he fell off the post. But yeah, you're a clyde. Check shit before you buy it. Especially road bikes. If you want to play it safe, just get offroad shit.
>>
>>1320693
So even endurance road bikes would be a bad fit for me?. Stick to gravel/touring?
>>
>>1307987
I've had one for 11 years and love it
fuck the h8rs
>>
File: sagan roubalix.jpg (57 KB, 670x376)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>1320704
Endurance road is a great starting point. There's still some in that category you should stay the hell away from, mostly at the higher pricetags.

Pic related. It's an endurance road bike that has some risk for carbon fiber anal perforation. See the wheelset with fewer black spokes? You want the exact opposite.

Personally, I'd try both and see which one feels better.
>>
>>1320693
it just looks like something that i would kill myself with but maybe its not really that hard
>>
Drop bar 10 speeds are the bikes I grew up with in the 80s

t. Boomer
>>
>>1320712
Cheers, I think I know what I need to get
>>
File: colnago-master.jpg (62 KB, 880x533)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>1320712
Here's an example of a modern take on the old school steel endurance road. In general, clydes want to stay away from carbon fiber, except the fork.

>>1320716
You're getting anal perforation?
>>
>>1320717
I think I'm gonna go steel endurance with a high spoke count
>>
>>1320718
I use a 32 spoke AL wheelset but depending on how big you are you might want 36. I'm 270 lbs.

At 210 lbs you'll be fine on any road bike out there but just at the cutoff point for the memey shitty low spoke count wheels. You'd probably be fine at a 28 spoke count as well at 210 lbs. Pay little attention to listed frame weight max, your limiting factor is not buying a bike with 20 spoke wheels.

Also at your weight you could ride aluminum, carbon or steel. There are a ton of awesome endurance road bikes with comfy geometry and racey frames.

If you want to start with a couple under 1k try the Trek Emonda ALR, the Cannondale CAAD Optimo and the Specialized Allez.
>>
>>1320718
It is also worth noting that a shimano aluminum wheelset in 105 or lesser is $349 for the pair so even if the bike you really like (for example the qt Bianchi Via Narone) has memey wheels you can just swap them out and keep the original wheelset to sell.

http://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Pure-Tour-Shimano-700c-Wheel-Set.html
>>
>>1320717
What makes the fork ok for carbon?
>>
>>1320718
I wouldn't limit yourself to steel
Not that steel is bad, but hardly any road bikes will be steel, and it will cost more to get a good one
instead, if you want to spend more money, get good high spoke count wheels. Your frame won't be the thing that breaks.
>>
>>1320911
most of your weight and the force of your pedalling goes through the rear of the bike.
The fork just does shock absorbtion from the road really.
A carbon fork is a good thing.
>>
>>1320911
>What makes the fork ok for carbon?

long story short is that a carbon fork absorbs shock better than an aluminum fork. It absorbs shock equally as well as a high end steel fork and is lighter.

Aluminum frame coupled with a carbon fork is the usual setup for a road bike under 1000 USD. Above that it begins to go into full carbon which is fine but not as durable or cheap as aluminum.
>>
>>1320911
Carbon is frequently used for high performance racing equipment. Many of the parts like seatposts, handlebars, stems, ect,are spec'ec for racers, max 90 kg, replacement after several seasons, plus or minus the variability of chinese manufacturing.

Notable exceptions are wheels, frames and forks.

CF wheels you should ignore entirely unless you're racing. If it has CF wheels, you're probably looking at the wrong bike.

After some early, terrible failures, carbon forks are the most heavily tested, overbuilt carbon fiber parts on bikes, and extend well out racing and into normal riding. Fork failures can and do mean product safety recalls, so the makers test that shit very heavily. For example, the Allez had ONE report of a fork cracking, with no injuries, and they recalled six thousand fucking bikes over it.

I would trust a CF fork over an AL fork.

https://www.velonews.com/2002/12/bikes-and-tech/technical-qa-with-lennard-zinn-carbon-forks-2_3270

>>1320718
I used to ride a Schwinn letour legacy. Had fucking awesome ride quality.

I'd at least try one basic aluminum plus CF fork bike, and one of the new offroad gravel meme bikes, and maybe one steel one, and let the one that feels right decide.
>>
>>1320474
At 210 lbs, stay the hell away from carbon! It could assplode under your weight
>>
>>1320972
someone should tell and the fat 50 year old freds in my town they could die at any moment
>>
>>1308062
a based poster? on /n/?
>>
>>1309604
medfag here, if it manages to make it's way to your cecum it certainly will
>>
>>1320972
Carbon is more stable than aluminium when it isn't damaged.
>>
>>1320474
>I'm not fat
>210 pounds
mmmmkay
>>
>>1308202
am i high? what the heck is this reply lmao
>>
>>1326697
That's usually how I bump a thread although I don't remember being awake at 4:59 AM
>>
>>1326663
Could be tall. Could lift. I'm 6'2", 220 lbs, ripped. Green eyes
>>
>>1307996
It looks like they shooped him
>>
>>1320474
SURLY LHT
U
R
L
Y

L
H
T
>>
>>1307987
For the casual rider a Hybrid is perfect. Not everyone needs to ride 50km on a 20lb carbon bike that needs special shoes and has bars 2 feet from the ground. But I prefer the trade offs of full suspension for comfy riding.
>>
>>1329023
>>1329023
>2 ft from the ground

Look at this uprightlet. The saddle should be 6 feet from the ground and the bars should scrape whenever you're not riding it on a fence
>>
>>1328115
Tranny, quit larping. More like you are 220 lbs over a safe BMI.
>>
File: malnourished vegan4.png (359 KB, 720x540)
359 KB
359 KB PNG
>>1328115
He said 'meaty' not 'fit'.
>>
>>1329048
>Source: Wikipedia
>>
I bought a hybrid and desu it's nice as a commuter. It's no big deal for me to pop on a gravel trail, or grass, etc. I don't have to wear special shoes. And so on.

I think hybrids have a place as a casual commuter bike for trips under 10km.
>>
>>1329048
A 5-second google search disproves this record he supposedly holds.

The record is currently 220kg, and Patrick has never held the record. He's never even got on the podium.
>>
>>1308647
I read on some forum that a guy got pic related for 200.. 27.5+ for that price.. Wish I had acess to it.
>>
>>1312646
nice duimobile
>>
>>1329048
so what's the answer? semen?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.