[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 27 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

Just got a really cheap Grampian 26 sailboat. No mast and no motor. Where can I find the right mast and what motor would be good for her?
>>
Mate you didn't buy a sailboat you boat a canoe.
>>
Let me guess: You got a "really good deal" on it.
You'll probably soon find out why it didn't come with a motor and mast.

Cause people usually don't take mast and motor off a perfectly fine boat before they sell it.
>>
Boat is a cage for personal transportation in your case. Fuck you. Just commute by bike...
>>
just anchor somewhere and cook meth in it
>>
>>1307667
I'd be surprised if there wasn't still some meth ingredients hidden somewhere in there.
>>
>>1307652
Bikes don't work on water bikefag
>>
File: fuck-outboard-cagers.jpg (12 KB, 284x177)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>1307750
The fuck you saying cager?
>>
This is a /diy/ or an /out/ problem, /n/ doesn't know shit about boats.

Also, I'm 90% sure that outboard motors are fungible.
>>
Will OP ever sail his boat?

Your fortune: Outlook good
>>
>>1307957
I'm retired @ 38, own home/acreage/car etc outright, not "loaded" but not a poorfag either
>>
>>1307964
doubt I could convince you without completely doxxing myself so believe whatever makes you happy
>>
File: th (3).jpg (19 KB, 474x361)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>1307477
No mast, no motor, no idea where to source them or figuring that out before pulling the trigger. I hope you at least got a surveyor to check it out.
>>
>>1307773
But can you put more than 20 dragon dildos on that thing?
>>
>>1307773
>bike
>bicycle
>bi-cycle
>bi=2
>cycle=wheel
>2 wheels
not a bike, m8
>>
File: IMG_0145.jpg (8 KB, 275x183)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1307477
dibsonstarboard,bunk!,
,,less rolly,,good view out door,,wide,dont miss snacktime.,
,,,wood,,,cheap,,self carve,,classy,,repair at sea,,,burn forthat KKK feels.,
,electric,,you knew that.,, solar panelsisail.,,
,,,id suggesthinfilm glued and screwed to the hull.,yes,on the side,,clear of the deck,,working on reflections.,
,,motors are cheap,,,gethree little ones!,
,anyways,,illbringsnacks.
pic>woodhull,,Thats Crazy!
>>
File: IMG_0650.jpg (7 KB, 300x225)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
nowfor,,thebig money.,
,,,lycra?,,moreno?,,,neoprememe!,
,wetsuit,Baby!,custom fitisnot cheap.,,payup!,
,,lessinking worry,,,along witha tire tubetied to water,,,andthe preciousnacks!,
,,,goodneighbor policy,,visitseels,,fish,clams.
>>
>>1307477
>buying a fucking boat with no mast or motor

I hope you payed less than 2000 for it
>>
>>1308024

Came in to post this.

If you bought a boat and have to come to 4chan of all places to ask about a suitable motor, you're fucked. This will be an absolute money pit that will drive you to suicide.
>>
gotta admire the balls on somebody who can straight faced sell a sailboat with no mast and no motor.
>>
>>1307477
Congrats on your money pit. Do yourself a favor and abandon the project while you still have some cash and a functioning lower back. A boat like that will need 100% refurb.
>>
DIY
>>
File: Pedal Kayak.jpg (40 KB, 800x600)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>1307773
Not even a recumbent
>>
>>1310293
Jesus Christ just buy some fucking oars or something
>>
>>1310673
they're mostly for fishers and stuff so you can move hands free

that said, I don't know why pedal powered boats (that aren't toys) aren't more common.
>>
>>1310678
Because you can't use your back muscles to power them, so you have less power than with oars.
>>
>>1310679
you can't use your back muscles to power a bike but I don't see anyone breaking the hour record on a row-bike
>>
>>1308605

This.

Most of the boat's cost is the mast, sails and rigging. Expect $15k for a set of sails as a start.
>>
>>1310673

>t. brainlet
>>
>>1307477
You are fucked.

But least you could do is troll everyone and set it up with a full torqueedo install and some Solar panels in place of the mast.
>>
>>1307773
Dude I hate cars. Trains are the way of the future.
>>
File: IMG_2438.jpg (2.88 MB, 3546x2353)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB JPG
broomstick,,,andamp sheets.,,, bedsheets.,
,,classicglass,,lasts.,,Any mast will do.,
,,woodis best.,,radar clear,,,historic,,,,goverboard use a live tree!!,mmmmm,avacado.
>>
File: transom mount.jpg (713 KB, 1280x960)
713 KB
713 KB JPG
>>1307477
>No mast and no motor.

That's why it was cheap lmao.

Getting serious, if it has a mount like pic related on the transom you can fit an outboard motor but it seems unlikely on a boat that size. If it has a prop shaft and space for an engine built in you should get the type of engine it originally had, or go for another small marine diesel depending on availability of the original engine. You won't just need a mast, you'll need all the rigging too. If you have some rigging, it might need to be replaced due to age, wear, or differences in the mast it had and the mast you can get to replace it. Try to get one that's as close to the one originally installed or what the boat's set up for to have the least hassle. Going with a rig or engine that wasn't originally on it will take extra modifications but it's probably doable.

As far as sourcing the major parts, I have no clue off the top of my head. I can tell you that getting the mast stepped and putting an inboard engine in will probably require a crane and hauling the boat out of the water. If you're knowledgeable about engines and setting up rigging, you can do some of the work yourself, but start looking for boatyards that can at least do the heavy lifting.

I worked in a boatyard doing mostly odd jobs so I can't tell you what exact parts that specific boat needs, or what it would cost to get them.
>>
>>1310290
are you Danish?
>>
File: 1552937253568.jpg (37 KB, 458x480)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1307750
>>
boat threads are rare here
>>
File: IMG_2500.jpg (1.98 MB, 2807x1778)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.